From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: GOTHAM KNIGHTS: Pilot (ep. #1) - 03/14/2023
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 06:18:20 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 13:18 UTC

My thoughts on the pilot:

Gotham Knight (recorded) - Pilot, the series premiere.
Storyline-wise, I mostly didn't think this was bad. Yes, they
"scramble" Batman mythology as they please, taking some
well-established things, and some minor things, and combining them with
some things they've just made up out of whole cloth (e.g. the "lead"
character, an "adoptee" of Batman who is entirely original to this
series). And I don't like some of that - like, why is Harvey Dent in
here, but *not* as Two-Face (yet)?!
The Gist: Three street YOUTS, Duela "daughter of the Joker" and the
Row siblings, get hired to do a job in Wayne Tower, but they are really
just patsies being framed for Bruce Wayne's murder. Soon enough, the
frame-up expands to include Wayne's adopted son, Turner, who is framed
as the financier for the murders. The foursome have to escape police
custody before they are rubbed out and made permanent patsies.
Acting-wise, it's a lot sketchier. Going in, I expected Olivia Rose
Keegan, playing who they say is the Joker's daughter Duela, to be the
best thing going here, and she is, by a lot. Mischa Collins is fine as
Dent, and I think Tyler DiChiara is actually decent as Cullen Row. But
Fallon Smythe and Navia Robinson barely register in their roles, the
lead Oscar Morgan (who seems to be a "newbie") is weak as Turner, and I
couldn't figure out what Anna Lore was trying to do as the lead's
"bestie" - Lore's character is supposed to be Turner's sidekick, but
she's giving off a vaguely sinister "I'm actually in on the frame-up"
vibe, which I can't tell is deliberate, or just really the result of
bad directing/acting choices.
Anyway, the YOUTS now have to battle a city-wide conspiracy to clear
their names, so this going to take all season, if not longer!!
(Sidenote: There is about a 0% chance this show survives to season
#2 on the "new" C-Wub!)
This is interesting enough, and I like Keegan enough, that I'll be
sticking with this. We've certainly seen worse (far worse!!) from The
CW!

Re: GOTHAM KNIGHTS: Pilot (ep. #1) - 03/14/2023

<tv2f68$23f7d$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179144&group=rec.arts.tv#179144

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: GOTHAM KNIGHTS: Pilot (ep. #1) - 03/14/2023
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 13:31:22 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 19:31 UTC

On 2023-03-16 7:18 a.m., Ian J. Ball wrote:
> My thoughts on the pilot:
>
> Gotham Knight (recorded) - Pilot, the series premiere.
>   Storyline-wise, I mostly didn't think this was bad. Yes, they
> "scramble" Batman mythology as they please, taking some well-established
> things, and some minor things, and combining them with some things
> they've just made up out of whole cloth (e.g. the "lead" character, an
> "adoptee" of Batman who is entirely original to this series). And I
> don't like some of that - like, why is Harvey Dent in here, but *not* as
> Two-Face (yet)?!

Well, I know why Harvey Dent is in there. Duella's full name was Duella
Dent in the comics although she lied about her parentage compulsively.

Re: GOTHAM KNIGHTS: Pilot (ep. #1) - 03/14/2023

<57865818.700774390.626545.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179146&group=rec.arts.tv#179146

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 12:35:16 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 19:35 UTC

David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 2023-03-16 7:18 a.m., Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> My thoughts on the pilot:
>>
>> Gotham Knight (recorded) - Pilot, the series premiere.
>>   Storyline-wise, I mostly didn't think this was bad. Yes, they
>> "scramble" Batman mythology as they please, taking some well-established
>> things, and some minor things, and combining them with some things
>> they've just made up out of whole cloth (e.g. the "lead" character, an
>> "adoptee" of Batman who is entirely original to this series). And I
>> don't like some of that - like, why is Harvey Dent in here, but *not* as
>> Two-Face (yet)?!
>
> Well, I know why Harvey Dent is in there. Duella's full name was Duella
> Dent in the comics although she lied about her parentage compulsively.

She pretty much accused everybody of being her father at one point or
another.

Re: GOTHAM KNIGHTS: Pilot (ep. #1) - 03/14/2023

<tv2grm$23vk9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179150&group=rec.arts.tv#179150

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 12:59:50 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 19:59 UTC

On 2023-03-17 19:31:22 +0000, David Johnston said:

> On 2023-03-16 7:18 a.m., Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> My thoughts on the pilot:
>>
>> Gotham Knight (recorded) - Pilot, the series premiere.
>>   Storyline-wise, I mostly didn't think this was bad. Yes, they
>> "scramble" Batman mythology as they please, taking some
>> well-established things, and some minor things, and combining them with
>> some things they've just made up out of whole cloth (e.g. the "lead"
>> character, an "adoptee" of Batman who is entirely original to this
>> series). And I don't like some of that - like, why is Harvey Dent in
>> here, but *not* as Two-Face (yet)?!
>
> Well, I know why Harvey Dent is in there. Duella's full name was
> Duella Dent in the comics although she lied about her parentage
> compulsively.

Idiots on Wiki keep trying to change the TV show character's name to
that, despite there being absolutely zero evidence for that given in
the pilot...