From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Not quite unisex bathroom legislation
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 17:45:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 17:45 UTC

As we all know, the transgender locker room and bathroom access issue
began in my state in 2015 at Palatine High School, Palatine-Schaumburg
High School District 211 in the northwest suburbs. The national culture
war was triggered when the Obama administration ruled that the
district's accomodation was a Title IX violation and would use that as
an excuse to withhold federal funding.

A transgender girl who began living as a girl during freshman year
wanted unrestricted access to the girls' locker room but the high school
put her in a private changing area in the boys' locker room. This was
not a reasonable accomodation according to the Obama administration.

The state house just passed a bill (being sent to the state senate)
allowing multi-stall bathrooms to have gender-neutral signage. It's not
yet a requirement for unisex bathrooms.

In balancing rights, this now gives those who want to use unisex
multi-user bathrooms more rights than those who don't. How can this
possibly go wrong?

It's already required in law that bathrooms with a single toilet have
gender-neutral signage. I always thought it was ridiculous to have
bathrooms with one toilet reserved for male or female.