From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Internet Archive loses copyright infringement lawsuit
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 19:40:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 19:40 UTC

During the pandemic shutdown, the Internet Archive began an emergency
ebook lending service because so many public libraries were closed. They
scanned recently published books and made them available to readers as
ebooks.

They got sued by four major publishers.

A federal judge ruled it was an infringement upon copyright.

Judge rules online archive's book service violated copyright
By HILLEL ITALIE
AP
March 25, 2023

Re: Internet Archive loses copyright infringement lawsuit

<b96af03e-51e6-4441-8d3a-68bb6fad45acn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180023&group=rec.arts.tv#180023

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 12:52:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 19:52 UTC

On Saturday, March 25, 2023 at 3:40:07 PM UTC-4, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> During the pandemic shutdown, the Internet Archive began an emergency
> ebook lending service because so many public libraries were closed. They
> scanned recently published books and made them available to readers as
> ebooks.
>
> They got sued by four major publishers.
>
> A federal judge ruled it was an infringement upon copyright.
>
> Judge rules online archive's book service violated copyright
> By HILLEL ITALIE
> AP
> March 25, 2023

https://apnews.com/article/books-and-literature-manhattan-john-g-koeltl-business-0674119646bd920492f87490e8d2027b

“Libraries are more than the customer service departments for corporate database products,” Internet Archive founder Brewster Kahle wrote in a blog post Friday. “For democracy to thrive at global scale, libraries must be able to sustain their historic role in society — owning, preserving, and lending books. This ruling is a blow for libraries, readers, and authors and we plan to appeal it.”

Re: Internet Archive loses copyright infringement lawsuit

<tvnjic$2amhj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180024&group=rec.arts.tv#180024

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 19:54:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 19:54 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>During the pandemic shutdown, the Internet Archive began an emergency
>ebook lending service because so many public libraries were closed. They
>scanned recently published books and made them available to readers as
>ebooks.

>They got sued by four major publishers.

>A federal judge ruled it was an infringement upon copyright.

>Judge rules online archive's book service violated copyright
>By HILLEL ITALIE
>AP
>March 25, 2023

https://apnews.com/article/books-and-literature-manhattan-john-g-koeltl-business-0674119646bd920492f87490e8d2027b

Re: Internet Archive loses copyright infringement lawsuit

<tvnsaa$2iq8m$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180034&group=rec.arts.tv#180034

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 15:24:08 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 22:24 UTC

On 3/25/2023 12:40 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> During the pandemic shutdown, the Internet Archive began an emergency
> ebook lending service because so many public libraries were closed. They
> scanned recently published books and made them available to readers as
> ebooks.
>
> They got sued by four major publishers.
>
> A federal judge ruled it was an infringement upon copyright.
>
> Judge rules online archive's book service violated copyright
> By HILLEL ITALIE
> AP
> March 25, 2023

I read several books from there then, it was great. I still go there to
fill in a series where my library is missing a title, though you only
get them on loan for an hour at a time instead of 2 weeks. They're not
really ebooks but scanned copies of books, but I consider them a library.