A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you. -- Ramsey Clark

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: [OT] Why are so many Western heroes being cancelled while odious figures like Karl Marx are not?

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] Why are so many Western heroes being cancelled while odiousRhino
+* Re: [OT] Why are so many Western heroes being cancelled while odiousAdam H. Kerman
|`* Re: [OT] Why are so many Western heroes being cancelled while odiousRhino
| +* Re: [OT] Why are so many Western heroes being cancelled while odiousAdam H. Kerman
| |`- Re: [OT] Why are so many Western heroes being cancelled while odiousRhino
| `- Re: [OT] Why are so many Western heroes being cancelled while odious figures likThe Horny Goat
+- Re: [OT] Why are so many Western heroes being cancelled while odiouschromebook test
+- Re: [OT] Why are so many Western heroes being cancelled while odiousEd Stasiak
+- Re: [OT] Why are so many Western heroes being cancelled while odious figures likThe Horny Goat
`- Re: [OT] Why are so many Western heroes being cancelled while odiousDavid Johnston

1
[OT] Why are so many Western heroes being cancelled while odious figures like Karl Marx are not?

<tvnojv$26svr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180027&group=rec.arts.tv#180027

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: [OT] Why are so many Western heroes being cancelled while odious
figures like Karl Marx are not?
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 17:21:02 -0400
 by: Rhino - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 21:21 UTC

Douglas Murray answers that question in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60eGEsmrZHM [10 minutes]

It's a great question, really. After all, the likes of Winston
Churchill, Gandhi, the founder of the Boy Scouts, Thomas Jefferson, and
Abe Lincoln - among many others - have been subject to increasing
accusations of having done or said horrible things, some of which were
distortions while some were outright fabrications. When have you ever
heard criticisms of Karl Marx?

Murray alludes to all sorts of discreditable things in Marx's behaviour
and writings in his book, the War on the West. I found a copy and would
like to share a few "lowlights" - they can't be called highlights! -
from one of the passages I found in the book:

There is no special effort to eradicate, problematize, decolonize, or
otherwise act in an “antiracist” manner against the legacy of Karl Marx
and his circle. And this is strange because as anybody who has read the
work of Marx will know—especially anyone who has read his letters with
Engels—Marx’s reputation by the lights of our own age ought to be toast
by now.

Consider the racism in Marx’s letters to Engels, where the two great
communists converse privately about the issues of their day. Here is a
letter from Marx to Engels written in July 1862:

The Jewish nigger Lassalle who, I’m glad to say, is leaving at the end
of this week, has happily lost another 5,000 talers in an ill-judged
speculation . . . It is now quite plain to me—as the shape of his head
and the way his hair grows also testify—that he is descended from the
negroes who accompanied Moses’ flight from Egypt (unless his mother or
paternal grandmother interbred with a nigger). Now, this blend of
Jewishness and Germanness, on the one hand, and basic negroid stock, on
the other, must inevitably give rise to a peculiar product. The fellow’s
importunity is also nigger-like.29

Of course, this is not a nice way to speak about anybody. But a
charitable interpretation, such as has been denied to David Hume, might
say that this is just one ugly thing said by Marx in a private letter
and that we shouldn’t judge him harshly on it. Yet this is not the only
occasion that such a sentiment came from Marx’s pen. Here is another
letter to Engels, written four years later (in 1866), in which Marx
describes a recent work he believes Engels might benefit from. By this
stage, both men are aware of the discoveries of Charles Darwin, whose
work on the origins of species, natural selection, and much more were of
course unavailable to the philosophers of the Enlightenment. Marx is
interested in Pierre Trémaux and his Origine et transformations de
l’homme et des autres êtres (Paris 1865). By now the monogenesis
argument (that is, that human beings are all related and are not
different species) was winning the intellectual war. Frederick Douglass
and others had made highly persuasive, and ultimately successful,
interventions into the debate. And yet even now still Marx is playing
around with the polygenesis argument. As he tells Engels of Trémaux’s
work: “In spite of all the shortcomings that I have noted, it represents
a very significant advance over Darwin. . . . E.g., . . . (he spent a
long time in Africa) he shows that the common negro type is only a
degeneration of a far higher one.”30

Perhaps this was just a blind spot for Marx? Perhaps he had a problem
with black people but not with other groups?

Here is Marx in another letter to Engels, where he manages to get onto
the subject of Jews: “The expulsion of a Leper people from Egypt, at the
head of whom was an Egyptian priest named Moses. Lazarus, the leper, is
also the basic type of the Jew.”31

[The most remarkable aspect of this rant is that both of Marx's
grandfathers were rabbis. His father converted to Lutheranism at some
point but I'm not sure if it was before or after Karl Marx's birth. Not
that it matters since Judaism is inherited strictly from the mother.
I've never seen any information on his mother's religion but if her
father was a rabbi, it seems likely she was Jewish, meaning Karl himself
was ethnically Jewish, even if he wasn't a practising Jew.]

Of course, there is another way in which this also could be defended. It
might be said that Marx was not writing for public consumption in these
letters. His reflections on the “degenerative” nature of the “common
negro” and the “leprous” nature of the Jewish people are ugly,
certainly, but they are private reflections in a private letter written
privately to a friend. Like the letter that Thomas Jefferson sent to the
Marquis de Chastellux. But the problem with Marx is that he didn’t just
keep his racism to his private correspondence with his coauthor on The
Communist Manifesto.

In 1853, in one of his pieces for the New York Tribune, Marx wrote of
the Balkans that it had “the misfortune to be inhabited by a
conglomerate of different races and nationalities, of which it is hard
to say which is the least fit for progress and civilization.”32 In 1856,
he could be found writing in the same paper that “we find every tyrant
backed by a Jew” and claiming that there exists always “a handful of
Jews to ransack pockets.” Starting from the time of Jesus and the
throwing of the moneylenders out of the Temple, Marx tells his audience
that “the loan-mongering Jews of Europe do only on a larger and more
obnoxious scale what many others do on one smaller and less significant.
But it is only because the Jews are so strong that it is timely and
expedient to expose and stigmatize their organization.”33 And these
proto-Hitlerian views are not from a single period of Marx’s life.
Rather, they are consistent throughout it. Over a decade earlier, in
1843, Marx writes in “On the Jewish Question”: “What is the worldly
religion of the Jew? Huckstering. What is his worldly God? Money. . . .
Money is the jealous god of Israel, in face of which no other god may
exist.”34

Well, you might say, perhaps Marx simply didn’t like Jews very much?
Except that he didn’t seem to like other races very much either and had
just as little respect for their great histories as he did for the
history of the Jews. In 1853, he is telling his audience in America,
“Indian society has no history at all, at least no known history.” And
while Marx is simultaneously damning and utterly ignorant of Indian
civilization, he does seem to favor British rule in India. “The
question,” he says, “is not whether the English had a right to conquer
India, but whether we are to prefer India conquered by the Turk, by the
Persian, by the Russian, to India conquered by the Briton.” One role of
Britain in India, Marx asserts, is to lay “the material foundations of
Western society in Asia.” He is inclined to think that they can do it.
For although Marx notes that other civilizations had overrun India,
these earlier “barbarian conquerors” had been unequal to the task.
Whereas “the British were the first conquerors superior, and therefore,
inaccessible to Hindoo civilization.”35

Still, Marx may have been antiblack, anti-Semitic, anti-Indian,
procolonialist, and racist both in public and in private. But at least
he cannot be connected with the other great sin of the West. Alas, as
though proving to posterity that Marx could get every issue wrong, here
he is writing about slavery in 1847, ahead of the American Civil War and
already very much on the wrong side of that conflict: “Slavery is an
economic category like any other.”

Marx weighed up the bad side and what he called “the good side of
slavery.” And he found a lot of good to say about it: “Without slavery
North America, the most progressive of countries, would be transformed
into a patriarchal country. Wipe North America off the map of the world,
and you will have anarchy—the complete decay of modern commerce and
civilization. Cause slavery to disappear and you will have wiped America
off the map of nations.”36

Why is it worth reeling off this incomplete list of what are—in our own
era—an almost clean sweep of offenses? Not simply because they
demonstrate that the most significant figure in the history of left-wing
thought, indeed its genesis figure and prophet, perhaps even its god,
was guilty of every one of the vices leveled at all non-Marxists in the
West. But in any analysis, Marx was far worse than any of the people who
largely leftist campaigners have spent recent years lambasting. Marx’s
anti-Semitism is more noxious than Immanuel Kant’s. His career-long
record of racism makes a single footnote in the work of David Hume look
very slight. His language of superior and inferior races was of a kind
that progressive thinkers such as John Stuart Mill already abhorred and
worse than anything Thomas Jefferson engaged in.

The only defense that might be made of him by his defenders and
disciples is that he was a man of his time. That Marx lived in the
nineteenth century and therefore held on to a number of the era’s more
unpleasant attributes. And yet this defense is packed with explosives
waiting to go off in the face of anyone hoping to use them. First,
because who is not a man of their own time? Every person whose
reputation has been brought down in the cultural revolution of recent
years was also a man or woman of his or her own time. So why should this
excuse be successful when used in defense of Marx, yet dismissed when
used in defense of Voltaire or Locke? With Marx, there is another
problem in his defense, which is that for his defenders, he is not
simply another thinker. He is not even to be compared with Hume or the
sage of Königsberg. For his followers, Marx is the last or (depending on
how you count it) the originating prophet. He was not just a thinker or
a sage—he was the formulator of a world-revolutionary movement. A
movement that claimed to know how to reorder absolutely everything in
human affairs in order to arrive at a utopian society. A utopian society
that has never been achieved and has cost many millions of lives in not
being achieved but that activists across the West still dream of
instituting next time: always next time.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: [OT] Why are so many Western heroes being cancelled while odious figures like Karl Marx are not?

<tvnq33$2bonb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180030&group=rec.arts.tv#180030

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
figures like Karl Marx are not?
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 21:46:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 21:46 UTC

>Douglas Murray answers that question in this video:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60eGEsmrZHM [10 minutes]

>It's a great question, really. After all, the likes of Winston
>Churchill, Gandhi, the founder of the Boy Scouts, Thomas Jefferson, and
>Abe Lincoln - among many others - have been subject to increasing
>accusations of having done or said horrible things, some of which were
>distortions while some were outright fabrications. When have you ever
>heard criticisms of Karl Marx?

>Murray alludes to all sorts of discreditable things in Marx's behaviour
>and writings in his book, the War on the West. I found a copy and would
>like to share a few "lowlights" - they can't be called highlights! -
>from one of the passages I found in the book:

I've read summaries of Lasselle but I've never read him directly. I'm
not sure what the explanation for the rivalry is.

>[The most remarkable aspect of this rant is that both of Marx's
>grandfathers were rabbis. His father converted to Lutheranism at some
>point but I'm not sure if it was before or after Karl Marx's birth. Not
>that it matters since Judaism is inherited strictly from the mother.
>I've never seen any information on his mother's religion but if her
>father was a rabbi, it seems likely she was Jewish, meaning Karl himself
>was ethnically Jewish, even if he wasn't a practising Jew.]

In a mixed marriage in Reform, if the father is Jewish and the children
are raised as Jews, they're Jewish. Orthodox wouldn't recognize them as
such.

That was interesting; thanks.

Re: [OT] Why are so many Western heroes being cancelled while odious figures like Karl Marx are not?

<236a9271-e924-404d-9110-951da07b24a3n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180032&group=rec.arts.tv#180032

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 15:13:13 -0700 (PDT)
figures like Karl Marx are not?
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 22:13 UTC

On Saturday, March 25, 2023 at 5:21:15 PM UTC-4, Rhino wrote:
> Douglas Murray answers that question in this video:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60eGEsmrZHM [10 minutes]
>
> It's a great question, really. After all, the likes of Winston
> Churchill, Gandhi, the founder of the Boy Scouts, Thomas Jefferson, and
> Abe Lincoln - among many others - have been subject to increasing
> accusations of having done or said horrible things, some of which were
> distortions while some were outright fabrications. When have you ever
> heard criticisms of Karl Marx?
>
> Murray alludes to all sorts of discreditable things in Marx's behaviour
> and writings in his book, the War on the West. I found a copy and would
> like to share

The War on the West: How to Prevail in the Age of Unreason – April 28, 2022
by Douglas Murray

word count:

jew: 139
nigger: 3
israel: 112
china: 191
christ :33
christian: 62
muslim: 14

Murray's books include Neoconservatism: Why We Need It (2005)
The Strange Death of Europe: Immigration, Identity, Islam is a 2017 book by Douglas Murray.
Douglas Murray wrote an award-winning biography of Oscar Wilde’s lover. Douglas Murray is homosexual.
Murray has described himself as atheist, having been an Anglican until his twenties. However, he has also described himself variously as a cultural Christian and a Christian atheist, believing that Christianity is an important influence on British and European culture.

tags: annas-archive

Re: [OT] Why are so many Western heroes being cancelled while odious figures like Karl Marx are not?

<tvo4eg$26svr$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180047&group=rec.arts.tv#180047

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
figures like Karl Marx are not?
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 20:42:55 -0400
 by: Rhino - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 00:42 UTC

On 2023-03-25 5:46 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
>> Douglas Murray answers that question in this video:
>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60eGEsmrZHM [10 minutes]
>
>> It's a great question, really. After all, the likes of Winston
>> Churchill, Gandhi, the founder of the Boy Scouts, Thomas Jefferson, and
>> Abe Lincoln - among many others - have been subject to increasing
>> accusations of having done or said horrible things, some of which were
>> distortions while some were outright fabrications. When have you ever
>> heard criticisms of Karl Marx?
>
>> Murray alludes to all sorts of discreditable things in Marx's behaviour
>> and writings in his book, the War on the West. I found a copy and would
>> like to share a few "lowlights" - they can't be called highlights! -
>>from one of the passages I found in the book:
>
> I've read summaries of Lasselle but I've never read him directly. I'm
> not sure what the explanation for the rivalry is.

I don't know. Frankly, I don't remember ever hearing of Lasselle before
so I can't even guess at what prompted Marx's contempt for him beyond
his ethnicity. Mind you, Marx was notorious for petty hatreds of other
intellectuals (as were his ideological heirs, the Bolsheviks, in their
day).

>> [The most remarkable aspect of this rant is that both of Marx's
>> grandfathers were rabbis. His father converted to Lutheranism at some
>> point but I'm not sure if it was before or after Karl Marx's birth. Not
>> that it matters since Judaism is inherited strictly from the mother.
>> I've never seen any information on his mother's religion but if her
>> father was a rabbi, it seems likely she was Jewish, meaning Karl himself
>> was ethnically Jewish, even if he wasn't a practising Jew.]
>
> In a mixed marriage in Reform, if the father is Jewish and the children
> are raised as Jews, they're Jewish. Orthodox wouldn't recognize them as
> such.

Clearly, Karl Marx didn't "identify" as being Jewish (to use today's
phrasing) but with no knowledge of how he was raised or whether his
mother was Jewish, I have no idea what a contemporary rabbi of any
congregation would have said when asked if Karl qualified as Jewish.

> That was interesting; thanks.

Murray's book is itself very interesting. It goes far beyond worrying
about cancel culture and looks at many of the big controversies of
recent years.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Why are so many Western heroes being cancelled while odious figures like Karl Marx are not?

<tvo7o6$2gp6o$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180052&group=rec.arts.tv#180052

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
figures like Karl Marx are not?
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 01:39:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 01:39 UTC

>On 2023-03-25 5:46 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>>>Douglas Murray answers that question in this video:

>>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60eGEsmrZHM [10 minutes]

>>>It's a great question, really. After all, the likes of Winston
>>>Churchill, Gandhi, the founder of the Boy Scouts, Thomas Jefferson, and
>>>Abe Lincoln - among many others - have been subject to increasing
>>>accusations of having done or said horrible things, some of which were
>>>distortions while some were outright fabrications. When have you ever
>>>heard criticisms of Karl Marx?

>>>Murray alludes to all sorts of discreditable things in Marx's behaviour
>>>and writings in his book, the War on the West. I found a copy and would
>>>like to share a few "lowlights" - they can't be called highlights! -
>>>from one of the passages I found in the book:

>>I've read summaries of Lasselle but I've never read him directly. I'm
>>not sure what the explanation for the rivalry is.

>I don't know. Frankly, I don't remember ever hearing of Lasselle before
>so I can't even guess at what prompted Marx's contempt for him beyond
>his ethnicity. Mind you, Marx was notorious for petty hatreds of other
>intellectuals (as were his ideological heirs, the Bolsheviks, in their
>day).

Ferdinand Lassalle founded the socialist political movement in Prussia.
Since socialism was supposed to be the interim political state prior to
the implementation of communism, I don't understand the rivalry.

>. . .

Re: [OT] Why are so many Western heroes being cancelled while odious figures like Karl Marx are not?

<89dafc52-7096-4372-bb11-18895a081296n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180061&group=rec.arts.tv#180061

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 21:32:15 -0700 (PDT)
figures like Karl Marx are not?
From: edstasia...@gmail.com (Ed Stasiak)
 by: Ed Stasiak - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 04:32 UTC

> Rhino
>
> Douglas Murray answers that question in this video:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60eGEsmrZHM [10 minutes]
>
> It's a great question, really. After all, the likes of Winston
> Churchill, Gandhi, the founder of the Boy Scouts, Thomas Jefferson, and
> Abe Lincoln - among many others - have been subject to increasing
> accusations of having done or said horrible things, some of which were
> distortions while some were outright fabrications. When have you ever
> heard criticisms of Karl Marx?

https://i.postimg.cc/RZ22MLBS/1641695573548.png

Re: [OT] Why are so many Western heroes being cancelled while odious figures like Karl Marx are not?

<25vv1ipnigikg2k9i41ru3m5r1mpr6p2a8@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180070&group=rec.arts.tv#180070

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] Why are so many Western heroes being cancelled while odious figures like Karl Marx are not?
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 01:09:53 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 08:09 UTC

On Sat, 25 Mar 2023 17:21:02 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>What becomes clear in analyzing the differences between the treatment of
>Marx and the treatment of almost every other thinker of the West is that
>the game is worse than inconsistent. It exists to cut a swath through
>every thinker or historical figure in the Western tradition. To lambaste
>them for holding on to one or more of the attitudes of their time that
>our own age holds to be abhorrent. And at the same time to ensure that
>figures whose work is helpful in pulling apart the Western tradition,
>even to the point of demanding revolution to overturn it, are never
>treated to this same ahistorical and retributive game. Marx is protected
>because his writings and reputation are useful for anyone wishing to
>pull down the West. Everybody else is subjected to the process of
>destruction because their reputations are useful for holding up the
>West. After all, remove every other philosopher from the field, take
>down all their monuments and the tributes to them, and ensure that their
>thought is taught primarily (and ahistorically) as a story of racism and
>slavery and what is left standing in the Western tradition?

>Perhaps we can do a lot to stop the onslaught of "cancel culture"
>against Western icons like Churchill and Lincoln by doing a comparable
>examination on the life, thought and actions of the likes of Karl Marx
>and other "progressive" icons. Something tells me that whole game might
>be stopped if we simply apply their standards to their heroes.

Certainly the quotes you cite are FAR worse than anything Egerton
Ryerson (who since you're from Ontario you would know that not only
was he 'cancelled' but the Unversity named for him - my sister in
law's alma mater - was renamed)

There was a Vancouver based Conservative MP from the 50s (who was
Diefenbaker's #2 back in the day) that was going to have the new
Vancouver federal building named for him but was cancelled as in 1942
he had favored removal of Japanese and Japanese-Canadians from the
west coast immediately after Pearl Harbor.

Thus proving that in Canada at least both liberals and conservatives
were being 'cancelled'. My grandfather knew the aforementioned gent
(Howard Green not Ryerson!) personally and had nothing but priase for
him but all sorts of people were considered p aranoid in the immediate
aftermath of Pearl Harbor.

Re: [OT] Why are so many Western heroes being cancelled while odious figures like Karl Marx are not?

<hgvv1i9m59cshjvbcr25vgdoos3flncn6u@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180071&group=rec.arts.tv#180071

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 01:12:09 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 08:12 UTC

On Sat, 25 Mar 2023 20:42:55 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>I don't know. Frankly, I don't remember ever hearing of Lasselle before
>so I can't even guess at what prompted Marx's contempt for him beyond
>his ethnicity. Mind you, Marx was notorious for petty hatreds of other
>intellectuals (as were his ideological heirs, the Bolsheviks, in their
>day).

And the point is that in the present day that'a qutie sufficient to
get you cancelled.

Re: [OT] Why are so many Western heroes being cancelled while odious figures like Karl Marx are not?

<tvpia0$2n0vn$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180084&group=rec.arts.tv#180084

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
figures like Karl Marx are not?
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 09:45:35 -0400
 by: Rhino - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 13:45 UTC

On 2023-03-25 9:39 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>>> I've read summaries of Lasselle but I've never read him directly. I'm
>>> not sure what the explanation for the rivalry is.
>
>> I don't know. Frankly, I don't remember ever hearing of Lasselle before
>> so I can't even guess at what prompted Marx's contempt for him beyond
>> his ethnicity. Mind you, Marx was notorious for petty hatreds of other
>> intellectuals (as were his ideological heirs, the Bolsheviks, in their
>> day).
>
> Ferdinand Lassalle founded the socialist political movement in Prussia.
> Since socialism was supposed to be the interim political state prior to
> the implementation of communism, I don't understand the rivalry.

Don't you know that theorists who seem the closest to one another in
their theories tend to have the most intense rivalries over their
differences, however minor they might seem to outsiders? The infighting
between them can get extremely bitter and heated. The Bolsheviks and
Mensheviks were originally members of the same party and, despite having
a great deal in common, split into what were effectively two different
parties. The leftmost portion of the Socialist Revolutionary Party also
essentially separated into their own party, the Left SRs, and allied
with the Bolsheviks for a time while opposing the more moderate wing of
their own party and the Mensheviks.

The same kinds of schisms happen in religions all the time. I assume you
know the old Emo Phillips joke?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3fAcxcxoZ8 [4 minutes]

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Why are so many Western heroes being cancelled while odious figures like Karl Marx are not?

<u09ojg$203r5$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180779&group=rec.arts.tv#180779

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
figures like Karl Marx are not?
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 11:11:12 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 17:11 UTC

On 2023-03-25 3:21 p.m., Rhino wrote:
> Douglas Murray answers that question in this video:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60eGEsmrZHM [10 minutes]
>
> It's a great question, really. After all, the likes of Winston
> Churchill, Gandhi, the founder of the Boy Scouts, Thomas Jefferson, and
> Abe Lincoln - among many others - have been subject to increasing
> accusations of having done or said horrible things, some of which were
> distortions while some were outright fabrications. When have you ever
> heard criticisms of Karl Marx?

I hear criticisms of Karl Marx all the time. I regularly read attacks
on both his main ideology and his opinion about Jews and Judaism.