They also serve who only stand and wait. -- John Milton

arts / rec.arts.tv / March 29-31: Robin’s selected programming

SubjectAuthor
* March 29-31: Robin’s selectedanim8rfsk
+* Re: March 29-31: Robin’s selectedanim8rfsk
|`* Re: March 29-31: Robin???s selected programmingBTR1701
| +* Re: March 29-31: Robin???s selected programmingshawn
| |`- Re: March 29-31: Robin’s selectedanim8rfsk
| `- Re: March 29-31: Robin’s selectedanim8rfsk
`* Re: March 29-31: Robin’s selected programmingIan J. Ball
 +* Re: March 29-31: Robin’s selected programmingIan J. Ball
 |`- Re: March 29-31: Robin’s selected programmingIan J. Ball
 `- Re: March 29-31: Robin’s selectedanim8rfsk

1
March 29-31: Robin’s selected programming

<1155935733.701543251.351900.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180104&group=rec.arts.tv#180104

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: March 29-31: Robin’s selected
programming
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 10:16:04 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 17:16 UTC

March 29-31: Robin’s selected programming

Already released

Close to Home: Murder in the Coalfield [Lauchhammer--Tod in der Lausitz]
[new; complete season 1] (March 22?, Netflix)

When a grisly murder brings Detective Maik Briegand back to his small
hometown, he finds himself dredging up bodies, clues and his own past
traumas. German series; 6 episodes.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81641220

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt21955940/

Wednesday, March 29

Streaming:

The Big Door Prize [new] (12:01 am, Apple TV+)

Adapted from the M.O. Walsh novel by David West Read (a producer on
Schitt's Creek), The Big Door Prize is set in a small Southern town where a
mysterious, photobooth-sized machine appears in a grocery store. For just a
few dollars, the machine promises to reveal each customer's true destiny—a
promise which prompts the local townspeople to make drastic changes to
their lives. Chris O'Dowd heads a cast that also includes Gabrielle Dennis,
Damon Gupton, and Josh Segarra. Ten episodes; three episodes stream today
followed by single episode installments through May 17.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu-KfLd-d9U

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-big-door-prize/season-1 [score 77]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14761860/

Emergency: NYC [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)

This gripping docuseries follows New York City's frontline medical
professionals as they balance the intensity of their work with their
personal lives. Eight episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zwISb8q1_s

https://www.netflix.com/title/81350804

Unseen [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)

A house cleaner desperately searches for her husband as a dreaded criminal
syndicate dredges up past tragedies and ultimately drives her to violence.
South African series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8e0CSkj0TI

https://www.netflix.com/title/81553435

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt26931883/

Wellmania [new] (3:01 am, Netflix)

When a health crisis forces Liv to rethink her “live fast, die young”
attitude, she jumps into a wellness journey to get better ­ even if it
kills her. Australian series; 8 half-hour episodes.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81406669

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16402422/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69ZfDTpeBTA

Broadcast and cable:

Riverdale (final season 7 premiere) (9 pm, CW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbtjz0lly20

CMT Storytellers: Dierks Bentley (special) (10 pm, CMT)

Multi-platform selling singer-songwriter DIERKS BENTLEY headlines the next
installment of the famed music series “CMT Storytellers.” Performing a
number of his classic hits including “I Hold On,” “Drunk on a Plane” and
“What Was I Thinkin’” alongside songs from his latest critically-acclaimed
album, “Gravel & Gold,” the intimate night filmed in downtown Nashville
gives fans an insider’s look into Bentley’s chart-topping career and
evolution as an artist.

South Park (season 26 finale; renewed through season 30) (10
pm, Comedy Central)

Thursday, March 30

Streaming:

RapCaviar Presents [new; complete season 1] (12:01 am,
Hulu)

A compelling new documentary series that tackles some of today's most
provocative issues through the stories of hip-hop visionaries and emerging
stars currently ruling the charts and influencing our culture, from City
Girls to Tyler, The Creator, Jack Harlow, Polo G, Roddy Ricch, Coi Leray
and more. Based on the influential Spotify playlist, launched in 2015, this
seven-part series is a deep dive into current events that untangles
important subjects and offers a view of the world from an artist's
perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaDOjzsfgzE

Big Mäck: Gangsters and Gold (documentary) (3:01 am,
Netflix)

A man is convicted of a robbery he didn't commit and spends six years in
jail. Years later, he becomes a suspect again in a different crime--but is
he still innocent? German film; 90 minutes.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81495571

https://about.netflix.com/en/news/big-maeck-gangsters-and-gold

https://thecinemaholic.com/where-is-donald-stellwag-now-big-mack-update/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt26450458/

From Me to You: Kimi ni Todoke [new; complete season 1]
(3:01 am, Netflix)

First-year high school student Sawako Kuronuma finds it hard to fit in with
her classmates and is mockingly nicknamed “Sadako” because of her long
black hair and pale skin. As she lives her lonely school life, she meets a
boy who talks to her and doesn't care about the rumors. His name is Shota
Kazehaya, and he is the most popular student in his class, loved by
everyone for his cheerful personality. By talking with Kazehaya, Sawako
slowly begins to open up to her other classmates. As she lives the high
school life she always dreamed of, her feelings toward Kazehaya begin to
change. Japanese series; 12 episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNoEdTqPr8o

https://www.netflix.com/title/81483827

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt22001792/

Based on https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1745240/

Unstable [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)

Rob Lowe stars opposite his real-life son, John Owen Lowe, in an
eight-episode comedy that finds the elder Lowe playing an eccentric biotech
leader recovering from the death of his wife while simultaneously trying to
save his company and salvage his relationship with his estranged son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onx7_iRa0Lg

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt19394168/

https://www.netflix.com/title/81500842

Broadcast and cable:

Prom Pact (movie) (8 pm, Disney Channel)

Follows the main character, a feminist who doesn't believe in the idea of
falling in love, especially in heteronormative love, but then she falls and
there's undeniable chemistry. Stars Peyton Elizabeth Lee and Milo Manheim
(son of Camryn Manheim).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brX-L41RJdA

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt17321230/

CMT Defining: Carly Pearce (special) (10 pm, CMT)

In celebration of the 10th anniversary of “CMT Next Women of Country,” “CMT
Defining” marks an all-new series of specials that will highlight a
featured female artist who walks with filmmakers through their personal and
professional past, present and future with a goal of defining who they are
as an artist.

Note: "Rooming With Danger" (see Friday) may be appearing on LMN today at 8
pm.

Friday, March 31

Streaming:

The Power [new] (12:01 am, Prime Video)

First ordered to series in 2019, Amazon's adaptation of Naomi Alderman's
award-winning book is set in an alternate world where all teenage girls—and
only girls—suddenly gain the power to electrocute people at will which,
naturally, has a major impact on the balance of power in every society on
the planet. The series adaptation, set in global locations ranging from
London to Nigeria to Seattle, also comes from Alderman (along with an
all-female writing staff that includes Rocks screenwriter Claire Wilson),
while the all-female directing staff is led by The Handmaid's Tale's Reed
Morano (who also produces alongside showrunner Raelle Tucker). Because of
the numerous production delays (mainly due to the pandemic), the cast has
undergone several changes in the past few years but is now led by Toni
Collette, Auli'i Cravalho, Josh Charles, Eddie Marsan, and John Leguizamo,
while recurring guests include Rob Delaney and Alice Eve. Nine episodes;
three stream today, while the rest are released weekly through May 12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjcgp-FxMxk

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10369484/

Rye Lane (movie) (12:01 am, Hulu)

Yas (Vivian Oparah) and Dom (David Jonsson), two twenty-somethings both
reeling from bad break-ups, connect over the course of an eventful day in
South London - helping each other deal with their nightmare exes, and
potentially restoring their faith in romance. British film; 1h 22m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqcF_GI3mOA

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/rye-lane [score 81]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15893750/

Tetris (movie) (12:01 am, Apple TV+)

It's not an adaptation of the videogame. Instead, the Apple-exclusive film
(heading to the streaming service a few weeks after a SXSW premiere) takes
a fictionalized look at the creation of Tetris and the story of how
entrepreneur Henk Rogers (Taron Egerton) made a daring trip to the Soviet
Union in 1988 to help inventor Alexey Pajitnov (Nikita Efremov) bring
Tetris to the world and make videogame history. 1h 58m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BLM1naCfME

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/tetris [score 59]

Click here to read the complete article
Re: March 29-31: Robin’s selected programming

<935184142.701544265.497955.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180116&group=rec.arts.tv#180116

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: March 29-31: Robin’s selected
programming
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 11:02:33 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 18:02 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
> March 29-31: Robin’s selected programming
>
> *****************************************************************************************
>

> Wednesday, March 29
>

> Streaming:
>

> The Big Door Prize [new] (12:01 am, Apple TV+)
>
> Adapted from the M.O. Walsh novel by David West Read (a producer on
> Schitt's Creek), The Big Door Prize is set in a small Southern town where a
> mysterious, photobooth-sized machine appears in a grocery store. For just a
> few dollars, the machine promises to reveal each customer's true destiny—a

If you have a true destiny, then it’s unavoidable, and it doesn’t matter
what you do. Pass.

> Broadcast and cable:
>

> Riverdale (final season 7 premiere) (9 pm, CW)

The C dub must die!

> CMT Storytellers: Dierks Bentley (special) (10 pm, CMT)
>
> Multi-platform selling singer-songwriter DIERKS BENTLEY headlines the next
> installment of the famed music series “CMT Storytellers.” Performing a
> number of his classic hits including “I Hold On,” “Drunk on a Plane” and
> “What Was I Thinkin’” alongside songs from his latest critically-acclaimed
> album, “Gravel & Gold,” the intimate night filmed in downtown Nashville
> gives fans an insider’s look into Bentley’s chart-topping career and
> evolution as an artist.

I think they misused both of the words “artist” and “evolution” there.

https://youtu.be/QrM39m22jH4

> Thursday, March 30
>

> Streaming:
>

> RapCaviar Presents [new; complete season 1] (12:01 am,
> Hulu)
>
> A compelling new documentary series that tackles some of today's most
> provocative issues through the stories of hip-hop visionaries

Obvious and I were just complaining that there’s nothing but crap on Hulu

> Unstable [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> Rob Lowe stars opposite his real-life son, John Owen Lowe, in an
> eight-episode comedy that finds the elder Lowe playing an eccentric biotech
> leader recovering from the death of his wife while simultaneously trying to
> save his company and salvage his relationship with his estranged son.

That’s comedy gold right there.

> Broadcast and cable:
>

> Prom Pact (movie) (8 pm, Disney Channel)
>
> Follows the main character, a feminist who doesn't believe in the idea of
> falling in love, especially in heteronormative love

OMG

> CMT Defining: Carly Pearce (special) (10 pm, CMT)
>
> In celebration of the 10th anniversary of “CMT Next Women of Country,” “CMT
> Defining” marks an all-new series of specials that will highlight a
> featured female artist who walks with filmmakers through their personal and
> professional past, present and future with a goal of defining who they are
> as an artist.

At least she’s pretty.

Here’s a feel good music video while she’s gonna hop in the tub and slit
her wrists.

https://youtu.be/pm6DHCpmIWg

> Friday, March 31
>

> Streaming:
>

> The Power [new] (12:01 am, Prime Video)
>
> First ordered to series in 2019, Amazon's adaptation of Naomi Alderman's
> award-winning book is set in an alternate world where all teenage girls—and
> only girls—suddenly gain the power to electrocute people at will which,

But is it natural or artificial electricity?

> naturally, has a major impact on the balance of power in every society on
> the planet. The series adaptation, set in global locations ranging from
> London to Nigeria to Seattle

Isn’t everywhere a global location?

, also comes from Alderman (along with an
> all-female writing staff

Just like stupid girl had

that includes Rocks screenwriter Claire Wilson),
> while the all-female directing staff is led by The Handmaid's Tale's Reed
> Morano (who also produces alongside showrunner Raelle Tucker). Because of
> the numerous production delays (mainly due to the pandemic), the cast has
> undergone several changes in the past few years but is now led by Toni
> Collette, Auli'i Cravalho, Josh Charles, Eddie Marsan, and John Leguizamo,
> while recurring guests include Rob Delaney and Alice Eve. Nine episodes;
> three stream today, while the rest are released weekly through May 12.

Hard, hard, hard pass

> Rye Lane (movie) (12:01 am, Hulu)
>
> Yas (Vivian Oparah) and Dom (David Jonsson), two twenty-somethings both
> reeling from bad break-ups, connect over the course of an eventful day in
> South London - helping each other deal with their nightmare exes, and
> potentially restoring their faith in romance. British film; 1h 22m.

Obvious and I were just complaining that there’s nothing but crap on Hulu

> Tetris (movie) (12:01 am, Apple TV+)
>
> It's not an adaptation of the videogame. Instead, the Apple-exclusive film
> (heading to the streaming service a few weeks after a SXSW premiere) takes
> a fictionalized look at the creation of Tetris and the story of how
> entrepreneur Henk Rogers (Taron Egerton) made a daring trip to the Soviet
> Union in 1988 to help inventor Alexey Pajitnov (Nikita Efremov) bring
> Tetris to the world and make videogame history. 1h 58m.

Gah.

> Murder Mystery 2 (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> Full-time detectives Nick and Audrey are struggling to get their private
> eye agency off the ground. They find themselves at the center of
> international abduction when their friend Maharaja, is kidnapped at his own
> lavish wedding. Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston return for a sequel to
> Netflix's 2019 comedic mystery. 1h 29m.

GAH!

> Doogie Kamealoha, M.D. (complete season 2?) (3:01 am,
> Disney+)

Good thing Disney + is free

> Broadcast and cable:
>

> The Baby Swindler (movie) (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)
>
> Long before the tragic death of her husband, Susie Ashcroft froze an
> embryo. Now, emerging from the throes of grief, surrogate Lorna Morgan

Which one is emerging? This is really poorly written.

> agrees to carry the child to help Susie have the family she’s always
> dreamed of. The partnership starts out as a dream, but danger begins to
> follow Susie wherever she goes. When Lorna disappears, Susie will do all
> she can to save the life of her unborn child­-even if that means she loses
> hers. Emily Tennant, Rhonda Dent, Jason Cermak star.

Another hard pass.

> Rooming With Danger (movie) (8 pm, Lmn)

Original title: “Mother May I Room with Danger?“

> Note: This movie is listed on the online Lifetime schedule for Friday,
> March 31, at 8 pm, although the page for the movie on the Lifetime website
> states that it premieres on Thursday, March 30. I don't know which is
> correct.

I’ll make plans not to watch lifetime either night. Thanks for the warning,
Robin!

> Party Down (season 3 finale) (9 pm, Starz)

Nobody gets starz!

> Whose Line Is It Anyway? (season 12 premiere) (9 pm, CW)

The C dub must die.

> The Great American Joke Off [new] (9:30 pm, CW)

The C dub must die!

> (end)

Re: March 29-31: Robin???s selected programming

<atropos-ADE8DD.11565526032023@news.giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180121&group=rec.arts.tv#180121

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: March 29-31: Robin???s selected programming
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 11:56:55 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 18:56 UTC

In article
<935184142.701544265.497955.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> > March 29-31: Robin's selected programming

> > THE POWER [new] (12:01 am, Prime Video)
> >
> > First ordered to series in 2019, Amazon's adaptation of Naomi Alderman's
> > award-winning book is set in an alternate world where all teenage girls—and
> > only girls—suddenly gain the power to electrocute people at will which,
>
> But is it natural or artificial electricity?
>
> > naturally, has a major impact on the balance of power in every society on
> > the planet. The series adaptation, set in global locations ranging from
> > London to Nigeria to Seattle
>
> Isn't everywhere a global location?

> > also comes from Alderman (along with an all-female writing staff
>
> Just like stupid girl had
>
> > that includes ROCKS screenwriter Claire Wilson),
> > while the all-female directing staff is led by THE HANDMAID'S TALE's Reed
> > Morano (who also produces alongside showrunner Raelle Tucker). Because of
> > the numerous production delays (mainly due to the pandemic), the cast has
> > undergone several changes in the past few years but is now led by Toni
> > Collette, Auli'i Cravalho, Josh Charles, Eddie Marsan, and John Leguizamo,
> > while recurring guests include Rob Delaney and Alice Eve. Nine episodes;
> > three stream today, while the rest are released weekly through May 12.
> >

> Hard, hard, hard pass

Yeah, this show has 'political agenda' written all over it. Like they
sat down in the writers room and said, "Okay, we want a grrl-power
political polemic first and foremost and only then will we figure out
the story and plot."

The problem with grrl-power shows like these now is that since anyone
can be a grrl just by wishing hard enough, it moots all the political
messages they're trying to send.

I remember when that show Y: THE LAST MAN premiered where all the men in
the world mysteriously just threw up their insides and died, there was
such controversy because they had a trans-testicle character-- some
chick pretending to be a dude-- and of course she didn't die with all
the other men because biology and science don't care what you 'identify'
as. All the trans-testicle grievance mongers in the real world threw a
fit because "trans men are real men, dammit!" and much like they pretend
trans-testicles can have periods and cervical cancer, they actually said
the show should have depicted the trans-testicle dying along with all
the other men because she'd wished herself into manhood and actually
changed her chromosomes or something.

It's all so absolutely ridiculous but our media and government officials
take them seriously so this is the clown world we live in now.

Re: March 29-31: Robin’s selected programming

<tvq758$2r1r2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180122&group=rec.arts.tv#180122

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 12:41:28 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 19:41 UTC

On 2023-03-26 17:16:04 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> March 29-31: Robin’s selected programming
>

> Wednesday, March 29
>

> Broadcast and cable:
>

> Riverdale (final season 7 premiere) (9 pm, CW)
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbtjz0lly20

I actually pity the cast, that they were forced to do the show *this* long!!

> Thursday, March 30
>

> Broadcast and cable:
>

> Prom Pact (movie) (8 pm, Disney Channel)
>
> Follows the main character, a feminist who doesn't believe in the idea of
> falling in love, especially in heteronormative love, but then she falls and
> there's undeniable chemistry. Stars Peyton Elizabeth Lee and Milo Manheim
> (son of Camryn Manheim).

If this was actually a satire of that viewpoint, it would be welcome.
But we know Disney doesn't have the balls for that.

> Note: "Rooming With Danger" (see Friday) may be appearing on LMN today at 8
> pm.

LMN is airing "Hider in my House" on Thursday night. It is not listed
as "new" or a "premiere", though I don't believe it has ever aired on
Lifetime or LMN before - it may, however, have premiered elsewhere in
2022...

> Friday, March 31
>

> Streaming:
>

> The Power [new] (12:01 am, Prime Video)
>
> First ordered to series in 2019, Amazon's adaptation of Naomi Alderman's
> award-winning book is set in an alternate world where all teenage girls—and
> only girls—suddenly gain the power to electrocute people at will which,
> naturally, has a major impact on the balance of power in every society on
> the planet. The series adaptation, set in global locations ranging from
> London to Nigeria to Seattle, also comes from Alderman (along with an
> all-female writing staff that includes Rocks screenwriter Claire Wilson),
> while the all-female directing staff is led by The Handmaid's Tale's Reed
> Morano (who also produces alongside showrunner Raelle Tucker). Because of
> the numerous production delays (mainly due to the pandemic), the cast has
> undergone several changes in the past few years but is now led by Toni
> Collette, Auli'i Cravalho, Josh Charles, Eddie Marsan, and John Leguizamo,
> while recurring guests include Rob Delaney and Alice Eve. Nine episodes;
> three stream today, while the rest are released weekly through May 12.

I would be tempted to watch this, but I am already falling behind on
shows I actually want to watch a lot, so I imagine I won't be fitting
this in...

> Tetris (movie) (12:01 am, Apple TV+)
>
> It's not an adaptation of the videogame.

Then why bother?!!?!

> Instead, the Apple-exclusive film
> (heading to the streaming service a few weeks after a SXSW premiere) takes
> a fictionalized look at the creation of Tetris and the story of how
> entrepreneur Henk Rogers (Taron Egerton) made a daring trip to the Soviet
> Union in 1988 to help inventor Alexey Pajitnov (Nikita Efremov) bring
> Tetris to the world and make videogame history. 1h 58m.
>

> Monumental: Ellie Goulding at Kew Gardens (special) (12:01
> am, Amazon Freevee)

Freevee!!

> Die Hart 2: Die Harter (complete season 2?) (3:01 am,
> The Roku Channel)
>
> Kevin Hart--playing a version of himself--is on a death-defying quest to
> become an action star. And with a little help from John Travolta, Nathalie
> Emmanuel, and Josh Hartnett...he just might pull it off.

Seriously - nobody actually gets Roku Channel.

> Broadcast and cable:
>

> The Baby Swindler (movie) (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)
>
> Long before the tragic death of her husband, Susie Ashcroft froze an
> embryo. Now, emerging from the throes of grief, surrogate Lorna Morgan
> agrees to carry the child to help Susie have the family she’s always
> dreamed of. The partnership starts out as a dream, but danger begins to
> follow Susie wherever she goes. When Lorna disappears, Susie will do all
> she can to save the life of her unborn child­-even if that means she loses
> hers. Emily Tennant, Rhonda Dent, Jason Cermak star.

Ooo - Emily Tennant is a "Yes!"

> Rooming With Danger (movie) (8 pm, Lmn)
>
> Fresh off a bad break-up, a young professional moves in with the seemingly
> perfect roommate but finds herself the object of a deadly obsession. Camila
> Senna and Daniela Rivera star.

Wait! Lifetime and LMN are airing new movies against each other?!! What
sense does that make?!!

Anyway, the Camila Senna looks insanely cute, so I will probably watch
this live, and record Emily Tennant for later.

> Note: This movie is listed on the online Lifetime schedule for Friday,
> March 31, at 8 pm, although the page for the movie on the Lifetime website
> states that it premieres on Thursday, March 30. I don't know which is
> correct.

I have seen ads for both "Hider in My House" and "Rooming with Danger"
so they are both premiering in the coming week...

Robin missed one: Lifetime is also supposed to be premiering "Home, Not
Alone" with Andrea Bogart this Friday around 10pm.

So Lifetime is premiering two new movies this Friday, and LMN is
premering one as well!

> (end)

Re: March 29-31: Robin’s selected programming

<tvqeqj$2sa71$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180136&group=rec.arts.tv#180136

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 14:52:19 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 21:52 UTC

On 2023-03-26 19:41:28 +0000, Ian J. Ball said:

> On 2023-03-26 17:16:04 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> March 29-31: Robin’s selected programming
>>

>> Friday, March 31
>>

>> Broadcast and cable:
>>

>> The Baby Swindler (movie) (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)
>>
>> Long before the tragic death of her husband, Susie Ashcroft froze an
>> embryo. Now, emerging from the throes of grief, surrogate Lorna Morgan
>> agrees to carry the child to help Susie have the family she’s always
>> dreamed of. The partnership starts out as a dream, but danger begins to
>> follow Susie wherever she goes. When Lorna disappears, Susie will do all
>> she can to save the life of her unborn child­-even if that means she loses
>> hers. Emily Tennant, Rhonda Dent, Jason Cermak star.
>
> Ooo - Emily Tennant is a "Yes!"
>
>> Rooming With Danger (movie) (8 pm, Lmn)
>>
>> Fresh off a bad break-up, a young professional moves in with the seemingly
>> perfect roommate but finds herself the object of a deadly obsession. Camila
>> Senna and Daniela Rivera star.
>
> Wait! Lifetime and LMN are airing new movies against each other?!! What
> sense does that make?!!
>
> Anyway, the Camila Senna looks insanely cute, so I will probably watch
> this live, and record Emily Tennant for later.
>
>> Note: This movie is listed on the online Lifetime schedule for Friday,
>> March 31, at 8 pm, although the page for the movie on the Lifetime website
>> states that it premieres on Thursday, March 30. I don't know which is
>> correct.
>
> I have seen ads for both "Hider in My House" and "Rooming with Danger"
> so they are both premiering in the coming week...
>

> Robin missed one: Lifetime is also supposed to be premiering "Home, Not
> Alone" with Andrea Bogart this Friday around 10pm.

OK, scratch that - the schedule is confusing:

"Home, Not Alone" is premiering tonight.

It is also airing again on Lifetime next Friday at 10pm, and is marked
as "new" in their schedule, but its premiere airing is actually tonight.

> So Lifetime is premiering two new movies this Friday, and LMN is
> premering one as well!

Lifetime and LMN are still premiering new movies against each other at
8pm on Friday, which is weird!

>> (end)

Re: March 29-31: Robin???s selected programming

<4ig12i1i70632gfoarn7o1im32hvt224jk@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180138&group=rec.arts.tv#180138

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 18:22:45 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 22:22 UTC

On Sun, 26 Mar 2023 11:56:55 -0700, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>In article
><935184142.701544265.497955.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> > March 29-31: Robin's selected programming
>

>> > THE POWER [new] (12:01 am, Prime Video)
>> >
>> > First ordered to series in 2019, Amazon's adaptation of Naomi Alderman's
>> > award-winning book is set in an alternate world where all teenage girls—and
>> > only girls—suddenly gain the power to electrocute people at will which,
>>
>> But is it natural or artificial electricity?

I was going to say it's artificial but then I realized it's only girls
that get the power so it must be all natural electricity. Which is
going to make their first kiss with a boy into a shocking experience.
>> > naturally, has a major impact on the balance of power in every society on
>> > the planet. The series adaptation, set in global locations ranging from
>> > London to Nigeria to Seattle
>>
>> Isn't everywhere a global location?

Ah, but everywhere doesn't point out that not only do we care about
the well known cities of Seattle and London but also that not so well
known city of Nigeria. Which I presume must be found in Nigeria but
given that I'm white and it's in Africa I clearly know nothing about
it unlike the writers of the show care enough to research the cities
of Africa that include Nigeria, Nigeria.

>> > also comes from Alderman (along with an all-female writing staff
>>
>> Just like stupid girl had
>>
>> > that includes ROCKS screenwriter Claire Wilson),
>> > while the all-female directing staff is led by THE HANDMAID'S TALE's Reed
>> > Morano (who also produces alongside showrunner Raelle Tucker). Because of
>> > the numerous production delays (mainly due to the pandemic), the cast has
>> > undergone several changes in the past few years but is now led by Toni
>> > Collette, Auli'i Cravalho, Josh Charles, Eddie Marsan, and John Leguizamo,
>> > while recurring guests include Rob Delaney and Alice Eve. Nine episodes;
>> > three stream today, while the rest are released weekly through May 12.
>> >

>> Hard, hard, hard pass
>
>Yeah, this show has 'political agenda' written all over it. Like they
>sat down in the writers room and said, "Okay, we want a grrl-power
>political polemic first and foremost and only then will we figure out
>the story and plot."
>
>The problem with grrl-power shows like these now is that since anyone
>can be a grrl just by wishing hard enough, it moots all the political
>messages they're trying to send.

Ah, but can you wish you way to being a teen age girl? Presumably the
women lose their powers once they age out of being a teen. At least
that's what I'm thinking given that they keep emphasizing the teen age
aspect.

>I remember when that show Y: THE LAST MAN premiered where all the men in
>the world mysteriously just threw up their insides and died, there was
>such controversy because they had a trans-testicle character-- some
>chick pretending to be a dude-- and of course she didn't die with all
>the other men because biology and science don't care what you 'identify'
>as. All the trans-testicle grievance mongers in the real world threw a
>fit because "trans men are real men, dammit!" and much like they pretend
>trans-testicles can have periods and cervical cancer, they actually said
>the show should have depicted the trans-testicle dying along with all
>the other men because she'd wished herself into manhood and actually
>changed her chromosomes or something.

Did they really get more than a few people to make such an argument?
There will always be some people willing to step out and make the
craziest of arguments but most people should be willing and able to
see that even if you support transgendered people that doesn't make a
genetically born man into a woman, no matter how many surgeries she
may have.

Something that attacks genetic men is only going to attack genetically
born men and that's going to always be the case until such time as we
can change people's fundamental genetics. Which is going to very
strange if we genetically change a man into a woman but don't bother
to change him physically into a woman.

>It's all so absolutely ridiculous but our media and government officials
>take them seriously so this is the clown world we live in now.

For some reason they've decided it easier to go along than to have to
worry about them making too much noise. Though if even most of the
officials/media would point out that they are wrong and while you can
have people change the sex they want to live as they can't actually
change their genetics.

(That last bit is what I've always seen as JK Rowlings point but as
soon as her name comes up the people go rabid and there's no reasoning
with them. Which is likely why the government officials and media have
chosen to play along so they don't get a crowd trying to cancel them
because they wanted to stick to the scientific facts.)

Re: March 29-31: Robin’s selected programming

<207062201.701566598.472662.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180146&group=rec.arts.tv#180146

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
programming
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 17:18:32 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 00:18 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> In article
> <935184142.701544265.497955.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>> March 29-31: Robin's selected programming
>

>>> THE POWER [new] (12:01 am, Prime Video)
>>>
>>> First ordered to series in 2019, Amazon's adaptation of Naomi Alderman's
>>> award-winning book is set in an alternate world where all teenage girls—and
>>> only girls—suddenly gain the power to electrocute people at will which,
>>
>> But is it natural or artificial electricity?
>>
>>> naturally, has a major impact on the balance of power in every society on
>>> the planet. The series adaptation, set in global locations ranging from
>>> London to Nigeria to Seattle
>>
>> Isn't everywhere a global location?
>
>>> also comes from Alderman (along with an all-female writing staff
>>
>> Just like stupid girl had
>>
>>> that includes ROCKS screenwriter Claire Wilson),
>>> while the all-female directing staff is led by THE HANDMAID'S TALE's Reed
>>> Morano (who also produces alongside showrunner Raelle Tucker). Because of
>>> the numerous production delays (mainly due to the pandemic), the cast has
>>> undergone several changes in the past few years but is now led by Toni
>>> Collette, Auli'i Cravalho, Josh Charles, Eddie Marsan, and John Leguizamo,
>>> while recurring guests include Rob Delaney and Alice Eve. Nine episodes;
>>> three stream today, while the rest are released weekly through May 12.
>>>

>> Hard, hard, hard pass
>
> Yeah, this show has 'political agenda' written all over it. Like they
> sat down in the writers room and said, "Okay, we want a grrl-power
> political polemic first and foremost and only then will we figure out
> the story and plot."
>
> The problem with grrl-power shows like these now is that since anyone
> can be a grrl just by wishing hard enough, it moots all the political
> messages they're trying to send.
>
> I remember when that show Y: THE LAST MAN premiered where all the men in
> the world mysteriously just threw up their insides and died, there was
> such controversy because they had a trans-testicle character-- some
> chick pretending to be a dude-- and of course she didn't die with all
> the other men because biology and science don't care what you 'identify'
> as. All the trans-testicle grievance mongers in the real world threw a
> fit because "trans men are real men, dammit!" and much like they pretend
> trans-testicles can have periods and cervical cancer, they actually said
> the show should have depicted the trans-testicle dying along with all
> the other men because she'd wished herself into manhood and actually
> changed her chromosomes or something.
>
> It's all so absolutely ridiculous but our media and government officials
> take them seriously so this is the clown world we live in now.

Thank you for that. I was just telling obvious that I bet this show would
go the same way, but I couldn’t think of the name of the earlier show.

Re: March 29-31: Robin’s selected programming

<1170904067.701566708.202113.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180147&group=rec.arts.tv#180147

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
programming
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 17:18:33 -0700

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Instead, the Apple-exclusive film
>> (heading to the streaming service a few weeks after a SXSW premiere) takes
>> a fictionalized look at the creation of Tetris and the story of how
>> entrepreneur Henk Rogers (Taron Egerton) made a daring trip to the Soviet
>> Union in 1988 to help inventor Alexey Pajitnov (Nikita Efremov) bring
>> Tetris to the world and make videogame history. 1h 58m.
>>

>> Monumental: Ellie Goulding at Kew Gardens (special) (12:01
>> am, Amazon Freevee)
>
> Freevee!!
>
>> Die Hart 2: Die Harter (complete season 2?) (3:01 am,
>> The Roku Channel)
>>
>> Kevin Hart--playing a version of himself--is on a death-defying quest to
>> become an action star. And with a little help from John Travolta, Nathalie
>> Emmanuel, and Josh Hartnett...he just might pull it off.
>
> Seriously - nobody actually gets Roku Channel.

Obvious and Robin do, and are trying to get me to join the cult. And then
for an extra $73 a month I can watch stuff on YouTube.

>> Broadcast and cable:
>>

>> The Baby Swindler (movie) (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)
>>
>> Long before the tragic death of her husband, Susie Ashcroft froze an
>> embryo. Now, emerging from the throes of grief, surrogate Lorna Morgan
>> agrees to carry the child to help Susie have the family she’s always
>> dreamed of. The partnership starts out as a dream, but danger begins to
>> follow Susie wherever she goes. When Lorna disappears, Susie will do all
>> she can to save the life of her unborn child­-even if that means she loses
>> hers. Emily Tennant, Rhonda Dent, Jason Cermak star.
>
> Ooo - Emily Tennant is a "Yes!"
>
>> Rooming With Danger (movie) (8 pm, Lmn)
>>
>> Fresh off a bad break-up, a young professional moves in with the seemingly
>> perfect roommate but finds herself the object of a deadly obsession. Camila
>> Senna and Daniela Rivera star.
>
> Wait! Lifetime and LMN are airing new movies against each other?!! What
> sense does that make?!!
>
> Anyway, the Camila Senna looks insanely cute, so I will probably watch
> this live, and record Emily Tennant for later.
>
>> Note: This movie is listed on the online Lifetime schedule for Friday,
>> March 31, at 8 pm, although the page for the movie on the Lifetime website
>> states that it premieres on Thursday, March 30. I don't know which is
>> correct.
>
> I have seen ads for both "Hider in My House" and "Rooming with Danger"
> so they are both premiering in the coming week...
>

> Robin missed one: Lifetime is also supposed to be premiering "Home, Not
> Alone" with Andrea Bogart this Friday around 10pm.

I saw an alert for that.

> So Lifetime is premiering two new movies this Friday, and LMN is
> premering one as well!
>

>> (end)

Re: March 29-31: Robin’s selected programming

<1991996608.701566945.442281.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180148&group=rec.arts.tv#180148

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
programming
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 17:18:34 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 00:18 UTC

> On Sun, 26 Mar 2023 11:56:55 -0700, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> In article
>> <935184142.701544265.497955.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,

>>> But is it natural or artificial electricity?
>
> I was going to say it's artificial but then I realized it's only girls
> that get the power so it must be all natural electricity. Which is
> going to make their first kiss with a boy into a shocking experience.

>>> Isn't everywhere a global location?
>

> Ah, but everywhere doesn't point out that not only do we care about
> the well known cities of Seattle and London but also that not so well
> known city of Nigeria. Which I presume must be found in Nigeria but
> given that I'm white and it's in Africa I clearly know nothing about
> it unlike the writers of the show care enough to research the cities
> of Africa that include Nigeria, Nigeria.

>>> Just like stupid girl had

>>> Hard, hard, hard pass
>>
>> Yeah, this show has 'political agenda' written all over it. Like they
>> sat down in the writers room and said, "Okay, we want a grrl-power
>> political polemic first and foremost and only then will we figure out
>> the story and plot."
>>
>> The problem with grrl-power shows like these now is that since anyone
>> can be a grrl just by wishing hard enough, it moots all the political
>> messages they're trying to send.
>
> Ah, but can you wish you way to being a teen age girl? Presumably the
> women lose their powers once they age out of being a teen. At least
> that's what I'm thinking given that they keep emphasizing the teen age
> aspect.
>
>> I remember when that show Y: THE LAST MAN premiered where all the men in
>> the world mysteriously just threw up their insides and died, there was
>> such controversy because they had a trans-testicle character-- some
>> chick pretending to be a dude-- and of course she didn't die with all
>> the other men because biology and science don't care what you 'identify'
>> as. All the trans-testicle grievance mongers in the real world threw a
>> fit because "trans men are real men, dammit!" and much like they pretend
>> trans-testicles can have periods and cervical cancer, they actually said
>> the show should have depicted the trans-testicle dying along with all
>> the other men because she'd wished herself into manhood and actually
>> changed her chromosomes or something.
>
> Did they really get more than a few people to make such an argument?

As I understand it, the source comic book had you die based on your
chromosomes. The TV show changed it to be based on your fashion sense and
choice of pronouns. Either that or they felt that those changed your
chromosomes and then your new chromosomes killed you.

> There will always be some people willing to step out and make the
> craziest of arguments but most people should be willing and able to
> see that even if you support transgendered people that doesn't make a
> genetically born man into a woman, no matter how many surgeries she
> may have.
>
> Something that attacks genetic men is only going to attack genetically
> born men and that's going to always be the case until such time as we
> can change people's fundamental genetics. Which is going to very
> strange if we genetically change a man into a woman but don't bother
> to change him physically into a woman.
>
>> It's all so absolutely ridiculous but our media and government officials
>> take them seriously so this is the clown world we live in now.
>
> For some reason they've decided it easier to go along than to have to
> worry about them making too much noise. Though if even most of the
> officials/media would point out that they are wrong and while you can
> have people change the sex they want to live as they can't actually
> change their genetics.
>
> (That last bit is what I've always seen as JK Rowlings point but as
> soon as her name comes up the people go rabid and there's no reasoning
> with them. Which is likely why the government officials and media have
> chosen to play along so they don't get a crowd trying to cancel them
> because they wanted to stick to the scientific facts.)

Re: March 29-31: Robin’s selected programming

<u05po2$196tg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180654&group=rec.arts.tv#180654

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 22:06:11 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 05:06 UTC

On 2023-03-26 21:52:19 +0000, Ian J. Ball said:

> On 2023-03-26 19:41:28 +0000, Ian J. Ball said:
>
>> On 2023-03-26 17:16:04 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>>
>>> March 29-31: Robin’s selected programming
>>>

>>> Friday, March 31
>>>

>>> Broadcast and cable:
>>>

>>> The Baby Swindler (movie) (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)
>>>
>>> Long before the tragic death of her husband, Susie Ashcroft froze an
>>> embryo. Now, emerging from the throes of grief, surrogate Lorna Morgan
>>> agrees to carry the child to help Susie have the family she’s always
>>> dreamed of. The partnership starts out as a dream, but danger begins to
>>> follow Susie wherever she goes. When Lorna disappears, Susie will do all
>>> she can to save the life of her unborn child­-even if that means she loses
>>> hers. Emily Tennant, Rhonda Dent, Jason Cermak star.
>>
>> Ooo - Emily Tennant is a "Yes!"
>>
>>> Rooming With Danger (movie) (8 pm, Lmn)
>>>
>>> Fresh off a bad break-up, a young professional moves in with the seemingly
>>> perfect roommate but finds herself the object of a deadly obsession. Camila
>>> Senna and Daniela Rivera star.
>>
>> Wait! Lifetime and LMN are airing new movies against each other?!! What
>> sense does that make?!!
>>
>> Anyway, the Camila Senna looks insanely cute, so I will probably watch
>> this live, and record Emily Tennant for later.
>>
>>> Note: This movie is listed on the online Lifetime schedule for Friday,
>>> March 31, at 8 pm, although the page for the movie on the Lifetime website
>>> states that it premieres on Thursday, March 30. I don't know which is
>>> correct.
>>
>> I have seen ads for both "Hider in My House" and "Rooming with Danger"
>> so they are both premiering in the coming week...
>>

>> Robin missed one: Lifetime is also supposed to be premiering "Home, Not
>> Alone" with Andrea Bogart this Friday around 10pm.
>
> OK, scratch that - the schedule is confusing:
>
> "Home, Not Alone" is premiering tonight.
>
> It is also airing again on Lifetime next Friday at 10pm, and is marked
> as "new" in their schedule, but its premiere airing is actually tonight.
>
>> So Lifetime is premiering two new movies this Friday, and LMN is
>> premering one as well!
>
> Lifetime and LMN are still premiering new movies against each other at
> 8pm on Friday, which is weird!
>

>>> (end)

OK, here's what ended up happening:

LMN did a "double-premiere" on Thursday night - they premiered "Rooming
With Danger" at 8pm; then they premiered "Hider in My House" (the TV
movie) at 10pm.

LMN is no longer premiering any new movie on Friday night. (Instead,
they're rerunning "Happily Never After".)

That leaves just "The Baby Swindler" premiering Lifetime on Friday
night at 8pm.