The door is the key.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)Ian J. Ball
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)anim8rfsk
||+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)Dimensional Traveler
|||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)anim8rfsk
||| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)Dimensional Traveler
|||  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)anim8rfsk
|||   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)David Johnston
||+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)shawn
|||`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)anim8rfsk
||+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)Eddie Grove
||+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)Ubiquitous
|||`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)anim8rfsk
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)Ian J. Ball
|| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)Ian J. Ball
|`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)Ian J. Ball
`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)BTR1701

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)

<UBI20230321@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179665&group=rec.arts.tv#179665

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 04:30:40 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 09:30 UTC

I watched:

NIGHT COURT:
"Dan v. Dating". Dan attempts to venture back into the dating world,
but finds it more complicated than anticipated.

NIGHT COURT:
"The Apartment". Gurgs helps Abby find a new apartment while Olivia
tries to hide from a lawyer that almost hired away from night court.

BIRDS OF PREY:
"Prey for the Hunter". Helena Kyle and Detective Jesse Reese clash
again when they both try to track down a serial killer who destroys
metahumans by taking on their powers (Hey, it's Joe Flannigan!).
Meanwhile, Dinah Lance ditches school when she learns from Helena there
is a metahuman-only bar, and Barbara Gordon meets Wade Brixton's
parents who think she is not normal enough for their son. Hmm, I forgot
about the metahuman underground, which Supergirl totally ripped off,
but having the secret door opened by a Shakespeare bust was funny. Now
that I think about it, how would having a speakeasy in an antique store
even work? This was pretty good, but the cop sure is easily convinced.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)

<tveue8$ko6h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179672&group=rec.arts.tv#179672

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 06:05:12 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 13:05 UTC

On 2023-03-22 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

Yesterday was my long workday, so just:

soaps: GH (Hulu) - Monday's episode. Lucy busts out of hiding to spy on
Bobby and Maxie as they plan the Nurses Ball, and is incensed and
seething when Bobby keeps saying how much better they are at planning
it than Lucy was! Lucy later reveals herself to Maxie, forcing Anna to
also reveal herself to drag Lucy back into hiding. Meanwhile, Carly and
NuDrew come across also-in-hiding Valentin and angrily confront him.

Anim twisted my arm/coerced me(! ;p ) into watching:

Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman (HBO Max) - "Pilot" (ep.
#1.1, a "two-hour" pilot episode! (runs about 90-mins with no
commercials)), and it's pretty close to an "origin story".
While this was presented in 4:3 (not surprising, as it dates to
Sept. 1993!), this looks *fabulous* - I think this was true "4:3
UHDTV"!! This must have been filmed *on film*, right? (Wiki, of course,
doesn't say...) There's no way it could look this good otherwise!
Teri Hatcher actually looks great here too! - her character I think
claims to be 27, Hatcher was 29 at the time - as does Dean Cain.
Michael Landes looks like a baby! And I forgot how good Lane Smith is
in this.
This was back in the good old days, before all superheroes had to be
"broody", and it's a real breath of fresh air after 2+ decades of that!
This is so much better than "Smallville" that it's not even funny, and
that's even taking into account the slower pacing of 1990s-era
television.
It's too bad that ABC ruined the show after season #1, firing show
creator and showrunner Deborah Joy Levine, and sacking Tracy Scoggins
and John Shea (who makes a superior Lex Luthor) and recasting Landes
(in my vote for the single worst forced recasting in TV series
history!). This is a show in which there's no point in watching past
season #1...
On my end, I doubt I'll watch the rest of season #1, but it's nice
to know that I'd likely enjoy it if I did! :)

Recorded for later: GH, and Gotham Knights!!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)

<876030070.701186749.016674.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179684&group=rec.arts.tv#179684

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 08:03:00 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 15:03 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-03-22 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Yesterday was my long workday, so just:
>

> Anim twisted my arm/coerced me(! ;p ) into watching:
>
> Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman (HBO Max) - "Pilot" (ep.
> #1.1, a "two-hour" pilot episode! (runs about 90-mins with no
> commercials)), and it's pretty close to an "origin story".
> While this was presented in 4:3 (not surprising, as it dates to
> Sept. 1993!), this looks *fabulous* - I think this was true "4:3
> UHDTV"!! This must have been filmed *on film*, right? (Wiki, of course,
> doesn't say...) There's no way it could look this good otherwise!
> Teri Hatcher actually looks great here too! - her character I think
> claims to be 27, Hatcher was 29 at the time - as does Dean Cain.
> Michael Landes looks like a baby! And I forgot how good Lane Smith is
> in this.

Both Perry White and Ma and Pa Kent.

> This was back in the good old days, before all superheroes had to be
> "broody", and it's a real breath of fresh air after 2+ decades of that!
> This is so much better than "Smallville" that it's not even funny, and
> that's even taking into account the slower pacing of 1990s-era
> television.
> It's too bad that ABC ruined the show after season #1, firing show
> creator and showrunner Deborah Joy Levine,

There was a cute bit in another show the next season where two kids were
watching TV and the superman theme came on, and the one kid asks the other
if they like that show and the verse kid says now and they change the
channel.

> and sacking Tracy Scoggins

I like Traci Scoggins, but she was wildly miscast as Cat Grant.

And then they brought in Farrah Forke only to kill her off!

> and John Shea (who makes a superior Lex Luthor) and recasting Landes
> (in my vote for the single worst forced recasting in TV series
> history!). This is a show in which there's no point in watching past
> season #1...
> On my end, I doubt I'll watch the rest of season #1, but it's nice
> to know that I'd likely enjoy it if I did! :)

The first season made me crazy because they kept messing with the costume,
most notably the way the cape attached, and the \S/ emblem. And they mixed
and matched and went back-and-forth. Either that or they were shooting
segments out of order.

> Recorded for later: GH, and Gotham Knights!!

Gotham Knights was just boring. The kids look for clues but pretty much
only find hints that should lead to more clues. They fight “the talon“ (I
missed how they even knew his name), and bat boy gets his hand sliced off
like Luke Skywalker, but he’s just fine in the next scene.

Babes of Prey may have been stupid, but at least it wasn’t boring.

I watched Aimee Garcia in THE CASE OF THE MISSING WRITER AND DIRECTOR.
This was just horrendously bad. Even Amy wasn’t cute or appealing, and you
kept hoping her husband would be the victim whose murder they had to solve
although I’d have of settled for her mother. I gave up less than 20 minutes
in.

It has three reviews, all of which are blatantly false:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt26545218/reviews

The “record all with Aimee Garcia“ function also gave me six or eight
episodes of George Lopez, and one of CSI HORATIO. I watched the latter and
erased the rest untouched.

WAR OF THE WORLDS S02E20 “the obelisk“.
The senses shattering series finale.
It’s all flashbacks and backstory as to why the new set of aliens are doing
what they’re doing and it turns out it’s all just because the lead alien is
crazy.

Because they’re being shown in random order, the penultimate episode will
be next, which may explain why I didn’t understand most of what was
happening. The most useless characters save the day and then there’s a
rather inexplicable ending:

500 pound alien mayor back when she was still cute: you must realize your
world faces the same fate as ours (no, it really doesn’t)
Earth guy: will you help us change it?
Alien: that depends on you.

And then they all just walk away from each other.

Friday, March 24 at two in the morning they will show episode one again
which is the one with the war machines from the movie. At which point I
will tell the DVR never to record this again.

It occurs to me I never reported on either NCIS series this week. That’s
because I hated them both more than life itself.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)

<tvf9h8$mcrn$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179689&group=rec.arts.tv#179689

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 09:14:33 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 16:14 UTC

I watched the second and third episodes of 'Stargate: SG-1' (*WHAPS*
Anim), 'The Enemy Within' and 'Emancipation'.

In 'The Enemy Within' our heroes learn the true horror of the enemy
while losing one of their own.

In 'Emancipation' our heroes establish that there is no 'Star Trek' in
their universe by clearly never having heard of The Prime Directive and
completely upend the local culture by inspiring a local warlord to allow
his women to speak and be seen in public. ;)

I have always thought 'Emancipation' was a really bad episode. It
didn't really fit with where they went with the show, so I assume it was
a failed experiment as they were finding their sense of what the show
was going to be.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)

<5p9m1ip0quajng5ij4abv02h5u4d377kov@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179694&group=rec.arts.tv#179694

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 12:53:12 -0400
 by: shawn - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 16:53 UTC

On Wed, 22 Mar 2023 08:03:00 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2023-03-22 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Yesterday was my long workday, so just:
>>

>> Anim twisted my arm/coerced me(! ;p ) into watching:
>>
>> Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman (HBO Max) - "Pilot" (ep.
>> #1.1, a "two-hour" pilot episode! (runs about 90-mins with no
>> commercials)), and it's pretty close to an "origin story".
>> While this was presented in 4:3 (not surprising, as it dates to
>> Sept. 1993!), this looks *fabulous* - I think this was true "4:3
>> UHDTV"!! This must have been filmed *on film*, right? (Wiki, of course,
>> doesn't say...) There's no way it could look this good otherwise!
>> Teri Hatcher actually looks great here too! - her character I think
>> claims to be 27, Hatcher was 29 at the time - as does Dean Cain.
>> Michael Landes looks like a baby! And I forgot how good Lane Smith is
>> in this.
>
>Both Perry White and Ma and Pa Kent.
>

>> This was back in the good old days, before all superheroes had to be
>> "broody", and it's a real breath of fresh air after 2+ decades of that!
>> This is so much better than "Smallville" that it's not even funny, and
>> that's even taking into account the slower pacing of 1990s-era
>> television.
>> It's too bad that ABC ruined the show after season #1, firing show
>> creator and showrunner Deborah Joy Levine,
>
>There was a cute bit in another show the next season where two kids were
>watching TV and the superman theme came on, and the one kid asks the other
>if they like that show and the verse kid says now and they change the
>channel.
>

>> and sacking Tracy Scoggins
>
>I like Traci Scoggins, but she was wildly miscast as Cat Grant.
>
>And then they brought in Farrah Forke only to kill her off!
>

>> and John Shea (who makes a superior Lex Luthor) and recasting Landes
>> (in my vote for the single worst forced recasting in TV series
>> history!). This is a show in which there's no point in watching past
>> season #1...
>> On my end, I doubt I'll watch the rest of season #1, but it's nice
>> to know that I'd likely enjoy it if I did! :)
>
>The first season made me crazy because they kept messing with the costume,
>most notably the way the cape attached, and the \S/ emblem. And they mixed
>and matched and went back-and-forth. Either that or they were shooting
>segments out of order.

Even so they shouldn't be changing those things. It reminds me of this
episode of LAW & ORDER: ORGANIZED CRIME I watched this week where
Stabler was talking with the bad guy in his huge garage where he had a
restored classic car from the 50s. As they were talking the camera was
moving around and switching between the two of them and giving us a
shot of the huge garage doors. The same door that would be open in one
shot and closed in another and then open again even though the entire
conversation took maybe two minutes. It's the sort of continuity
problem that should have been caught since it's an easy fix.

>> Recorded for later: GH, and Gotham Knights!!
>>

>Gotham Knights was just boring. The kids look for clues but pretty much
>only find hints that should lead to more clues. They fight “the talon“ (I
>missed how they even knew his name), and bat boy gets his hand sliced off
>like Luke Skywalker, but he’s just fine in the next scene.
>
>Babes of Prey may have been stupid, but at least it wasn’t boring.
>
>I watched Aimee Garcia in THE CASE OF THE MISSING WRITER AND DIRECTOR.
>This was just horrendously bad. Even Amy wasn’t cute or appealing, and you
>kept hoping her husband would be the victim whose murder they had to solve
>although I’d have of settled for her mother. I gave up less than 20 minutes
>in.
>
>It has three reviews, all of which are blatantly false:
>
>https://www.imdb.com/title/tt26545218/reviews
>

>The “record all with Aimee Garcia“ function also gave me six or eight
>episodes of George Lopez, and one of CSI HORATIO. I watched the latter and
>erased the rest untouched.
>

>WAR OF THE WORLDS S02E20 “the obelisk“.
>The senses shattering series finale.
>It’s all flashbacks and backstory as to why the new set of aliens are doing
>what they’re doing and it turns out it’s all just because the lead alien is
>crazy.
>
>Because they’re being shown in random order, the penultimate episode will
>be next, which may explain why I didn’t understand most of what was
>happening. The most useless characters save the day and then there’s a
>rather inexplicable ending:
>
>500 pound alien mayor back when she was still cute: you must realize your
>world faces the same fate as ours (no, it really doesn’t)
I looked up her pics and I would not have guessed those two people
were the same (her back in the early 90s and now).

>Earth guy: will you help us change it?
>Alien: that depends on you.
>
>And then they all just walk away from each other.
>
>Friday, March 24 at two in the morning they will show episode one again
>which is the one with the war machines from the movie. At which point I
>will tell the DVR never to record this again.

I know I watched some episodes of this back in the day but never the
entire show. I can't remember why I didn't watch it. Could be that it
was up against something else I preferred or could be even I didn't
want to watch this.

>It occurs to me I never reported on either NCIS series this week. That’s
>because I hated them both more than life itself.

They weren't that bad. NCIS HAWAII was even somewhat reasonable with
the home life part this time given that situation with her son is one
I imagine many parents would be in should their child get accepted.
The way the 'not a bimbo' girl played everyone was silly and should
have ended up with her getting killed. That said I'm always going to
have a soft spot for this one with Vanessa Lachey on the show.

NCIS was all about giving Fez a potential romantic interest while
having the evil white racists doing EVEL things.

I also tried to watch the latest episode of WILL TRENT but the
stupidity forced me to stop. I may come back to it, but the setup is a
guy is going on trial for killing a cop. He gets pushed by one of the
cops holding back to the mob into the check-in items after the
courthouse metal scan which allows him to grab a paper clip which he
then uses to slip out of his chains and overpower the guards with him.
He then escapes after taking Tren'ts GBI partner hostage. So far it's
stretching reality but at least possible. Then he goes to his buddies
house who can prove that he is innocent, only his buddy is dead.
Having just been shot by the dead cop's partner as he (the cop) was
apparently the one who killed his partner.

Now comes the crazy bit as the cop calls it in as the GBI agent having
shot the buddy and then he claims the GBI agent is working with the
escaped criminal and the dispatch takes him at his word and puts the
call out to all the cops that the GBI agent and the escaped criminal
are armed and dangerous, which is obviously going to put the black
female GBI agent in harms way. That was the point at which I had to
tune out and go watch some Youtube videos. They may not be the most
intellectually stimulating of videos (barring the videos I watched on
Space-time, black holes and super deterministic universes) but then
they don't in any way claim to be, nor to have any resemblance to
reality.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)

<5ZacnXaByJnmr4b5nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179695&group=rec.arts.tv#179695

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 16:53:15 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 16:53 UTC

On Mar 22, 2023 at 2:30:40 AM PDT, "Ubiquitous" <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> What did you watch?

SCREAM in all its iterations.

I started with SCREAMs 1 through 5 on the P+ and 10 hours later I was ready to
go see SCREAM 6 in the theater last night.

Watching them all back to back like that starkly highlights the tragic
progression of Courtney Cox-- who was drop-dead gorgeous in the first movie to
some kind of melted-face Joker in the last. And that absolutely horrible
haircut she had in SCREAM 3 only added to the misery. It looked like someone
tried to give her bangs, kept messing up, and cutting them shorter and shorter
and shorter to hide the mistake. The result looks like she had a close
encounter with a weed-wacker. Makes Charisma's butcher-job in ANGEL look like
the height of fashion.

The latest installment seems much darker in tone than its predecessors and the
end felt rushed and not well-thought out, like it was part of a different
movie. A lot of people at the end with serious stab wounds were running around
like all they had was a scraped knee. Hell, Jenna Ortega was stabbed to the
hilt both in the back and the gut and she didn't even leave in an ambulance.
Just limped off down the street with her sister. (Also, the movie indulged in
that annoying trope where the final girl's gun slide failed to lock back when
she ran empty so that both she and the audience could be surprised when she
ran out of rounds at the crucial moment.)

Still and all, it was a pretty good installment in the SCREAM universe.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)

<289502658.701199338.722688.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179704&group=rec.arts.tv#179704

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 11:14:42 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 18:14 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> I watched the second and third episodes of 'Stargate: SG-1' (*WHAPS*
> Anim), 'The Enemy Within' and 'Emancipation'.
>
> In 'The Enemy Within' our heroes learn the true horror of the enemy
> while losing one of their own.

And why they shouldn’t steal old Star Trek episode titles.

> In 'Emancipation' our heroes establish that there is no 'Star Trek' in
> their universe by clearly never having heard of The Prime Directive and
> completely upend the local culture by inspiring a local warlord to allow
> his women to speak and be seen in public. ;)
>
> I have always thought 'Emancipation' was a really bad episode. It
> didn't really fit with where they went with the show, so I assume it was
> a failed experiment as they were finding their sense of what the show
> was going to be.

Yes, this is borderline cringe worthy. Although Carter probably had it
coming for her speech about the placement of her reproductive organs a
couple episodes before.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)

<1620712551.701199693.408630.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179705&group=rec.arts.tv#179705

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 11:14:43 -0700
> [...]

>> episodes of George Lopez, and one of CSI HORATIO. I watched the latter and
>> erased the rest untouched.
>>

>> WAR OF THE WORLDS S02E20 “the obelisk“.
>> The senses shattering series finale.
>> It’s all flashbacks and backstory as to why the new set of aliens are doing
>> what they’re doing and it turns out it’s all just because the lead alien is
>> crazy.
>>
>> Because they’re being shown in random order, the penultimate episode will
>> be next, which may explain why I didn’t understand most of what was
>> happening. The most useless characters save the day and then there’s a
>> rather inexplicable ending:
>>
>> 500 pound alien mayor back when she was still cute: you must realize your
>> world faces the same fate as ours (no, it really doesn’t)
>
> I looked up her pics and I would not have guessed those two people
> were the same (her back in the early 90s and now).

If I hadn’t spotted her name in the credits, I wouldn’t have figured it out
either.

>> Earth guy: will you help us change it?
>> Alien: that depends on you.
>>
>> And then they all just walk away from each other.
>>
>> Friday, March 24 at two in the morning they will show episode one again
>> which is the one with the war machines from the movie. At which point I
>> will tell the DVR never to record this again.
>
> I know I watched some episodes of this back in the day but never the
> entire show. I can't remember why I didn't watch it. Could be that it
> was up against something else I preferred or could be even I didn't
> want to watch this.
>>
>> It occurs to me I never reported on either NCIS series this week. That’s
>> because I hated them both more than life itself.
>
> They weren't that bad. NCIS HAWAII

My bad. I was talking about NCIS PRIME and NCIS LOS ANGELES..

NCIS PRIME was the less horrid of the two, but its annoyance doubled
because both were “white men bad, Muslims. Good“ episodes.

Los Angeles was a direct sequel to the episode that got me to quit watching
the show a while back. In that episode their new Muslim guy, Roundtree, I
think, was giving his sister a ride through a sketchy neighborhood. The
cops pulled him over because his car matched the description of one fleeing
a crime, I think, burglary, in the area. So this idiot is giving his sister
a ride to school and he’s carrying his gun without a permit and he doesn’t
have his real ID, he has his undercover ID. so he’s telling these officers
that he’s a Secret undercover Fed but can’t prove it and it escalates and
when they try to get his sister out of the car, she has a panic attack
because she’s going to be late for an exam or something, and he fights
them. In every possible action this was all his fault. Once they get it
straightened out, and they did so at the scene, LAPD puts the officers on
leave pending investigation and Roundtree explodes because they’re on paid
leave. This turned into an entire episode about how LAPD is evil and they
shouldn’t be mean to Muslims just because they have the wrong ID and
weapons and match the description of criminals and attack cops!

So this episode, weeks or months later Roundtree is still bouncing off the
walls about the cops being on paid leave when he gets the word that there’s
not going to be any further disciplinary action against them. And he’s
taking it out on other cops that didn’t have anything to do with the
process. And somehow it turns out it’s all some huge conspiracy because
LAPD is completely full of dirty cops (I’m not really sure what their goal
is in pulling over criminals and how that advances the evil). And they
manage to cost some cops their careers. When it’s always been Roundtree,
who did everything wrong.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)

<tvfn69$p1qk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179722&group=rec.arts.tv#179722

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 13:07:38 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 20:07 UTC

On 2023-03-22 13:05:12 +0000, Ian J. Ball said:

> On 2023-03-22 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Yesterday was my long workday, so just:
>
> Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman (HBO Max) - "Pilot" (ep.
> #1.1, a "two-hour" pilot episode! (runs about 90-mins with no
> commercials)), and it's pretty close to an "origin story".
> While this was presented in 4:3 (not surprising, as it dates to
> Sept. 1993!), this looks *fabulous* - I think this was true "4:3
> UHDTV"!! This must have been filmed *on film*, right? (Wiki, of course,
> doesn't say...) There's no way it could look this good otherwise!

OK, I just went back and finished the "Babes of Prey" pilot, and there
is *no question* about it! - "Lois & Clark" is the better image:
crisper, cleaner and higher detail.

I really think Babes of Prey is "HD" while Lois & Clark is UHD (though
4:3). I'd guess that the former is Adam's dreaded "videotape" (makes
sense), and L&C was actually filmed on film.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)

<tvfr3e$pju4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179735&group=rec.arts.tv#179735

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 14:14:25 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 21:14 UTC

On 3/22/2023 11:14 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>> I watched the second and third episodes of 'Stargate: SG-1' (*WHAPS*
>> Anim), 'The Enemy Within' and 'Emancipation'.
>>
>> In 'The Enemy Within' our heroes learn the true horror of the enemy
>> while losing one of their own.
>
> And why they shouldn’t steal old Star Trek episode titles.
>

>> In 'Emancipation' our heroes establish that there is no 'Star Trek' in
>> their universe by clearly never having heard of The Prime Directive and
>> completely upend the local culture by inspiring a local warlord to allow
>> his women to speak and be seen in public. ;)
>>
>> I have always thought 'Emancipation' was a really bad episode. It
>> didn't really fit with where they went with the show, so I assume it was
>> a failed experiment as they were finding their sense of what the show
>> was going to be.
>>

> Yes, this is borderline cringe worthy. Although Carter probably had it
> coming for her speech about the placement of her reproductive organs a
> couple episodes before.

After posting I checked the Trivia in IMDb for the episode.

"Katharyn Powers is also responsible for the very similar Star Trek: The
Next Generation: Code of Honor (1987). Both episodes feature a female
officer being abducted and later participating in a fight to the death
which both parties survive. Furthermore, both are widely considered to
be among the worst of their respective series."

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)

<87ttyc76p6.fsf@hotmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179751&group=rec.arts.tv#179751

From: eddiegr...@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 15:38:13 -0700
 by: Eddie Grove - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 22:38 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> writes:

> Gotham Knights was just boring. The kids look for clues but pretty much
> only find hints that should lead to more clues. They fight “the talon“ (I
> missed how they even knew his name), and bat boy gets his hand sliced off
> like Luke Skywalker, but he’s just fine in the next scene.

I think they "knew" his name from the nursery rhyme, or whatever you
call it, that says cross the Owls and the Talon will come for you.

Eddie

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)

<1693477703.701225979.342205.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179759&group=rec.arts.tv#179759

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 18:08:32 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 01:08 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 3/22/2023 11:14 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>>> I watched the second and third episodes of 'Stargate: SG-1' (*WHAPS*
>>> Anim), 'The Enemy Within' and 'Emancipation'.
>>>
>>> In 'The Enemy Within' our heroes learn the true horror of the enemy
>>> while losing one of their own.
>>
>> And why they shouldn’t steal old Star Trek episode titles.
>>

>>> In 'Emancipation' our heroes establish that there is no 'Star Trek' in
>>> their universe by clearly never having heard of The Prime Directive and
>>> completely upend the local culture by inspiring a local warlord to allow
>>> his women to speak and be seen in public. ;)
>>>
>>> I have always thought 'Emancipation' was a really bad episode. It
>>> didn't really fit with where they went with the show, so I assume it was
>>> a failed experiment as they were finding their sense of what the show
>>> was going to be.
>>>

>> Yes, this is borderline cringe worthy. Although Carter probably had it
>> coming for her speech about the placement of her reproductive organs a
>> couple episodes before.
>>
> After posting I checked the Trivia in IMDb for the episode.
>
> "Katharyn Powers is also responsible for the very similar Star Trek: The
> Next Generation: Code of Honor (1987). Both episodes feature a female
> officer being abducted and later participating in a fight to the death
> which both parties survive. Furthermore, both are widely considered to
> be among the worst of their respective series."

Ouch

Worse than “Crusher has an orgasm”?

Worse than “crusher turns into a spider“?

Worse than “data turns into a Mayan“?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)

<tvhdj1$146pp$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179799&group=rec.arts.tv#179799

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 04:30:44 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 09:30 UTC

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:

>Gotham Knights was just boring. The kids look for clues but pretty much
>only find hints that should lead to more clues. They fight "the talon"
>(I missed how they even knew his name), and bat boy gets his hand sliced
>off like Luke Skywalker, but he's just fine in the next scene.
>
>Babes of Prey may have been stupid, but at least it wasn't boring.

Looks like I won't be watching GOT HAM KNIGHTS, then!

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)

<tvhi3f$157nu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179801&group=rec.arts.tv#179801

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 05:53:04 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 12:53 UTC

On 2023-03-22 15:03:00 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2023-03-22 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Recorded for later: GH, and Gotham Knights!!
>
> Gotham Knights was just boring. The kids look for clues but pretty much
> only find hints that should lead to more clues. They fight “the talon“ (I
> missed how they even knew his name), and bat boy gets his hand sliced off
> like Luke Skywalker, but he’s just fine in the next scene.

I liked to more than you did, but it was mostly a step down from the pilot.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)

<tvhimg$15bgf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179803&group=rec.arts.tv#179803

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 06:03:12 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 13:03 UTC

On 2023-03-23 12:53:04 +0000, Ian J. Ball said:

> On 2023-03-22 15:03:00 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> Recorded for later: GH, and Gotham Knights!!
>>
>> Gotham Knights was just boring. The kids look for clues but pretty much
>> only find hints that should lead to more clues. They fight “the talon“ (I
>> missed how they even knew his name), and bat boy gets his hand sliced off
>> like Luke Skywalker, but he’s just fine in the next scene.
>
> I liked [it] more than you did, but it was mostly a step down from the pilot.

[Fixed.]

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)

<1962034363.701280016.951497.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179833&group=rec.arts.tv#179833

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 12:46:37 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 19:46 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>
>> Gotham Knights was just boring. The kids look for clues but pretty much
>> only find hints that should lead to more clues. They fight "the talon"
>> (I missed how they even knew his name), and bat boy gets his hand sliced
>> off like Luke Skywalker, but he's just fine in the next scene.
>>
>> Babes of Prey may have been stupid, but at least it wasn't boring.
>
> Looks like I won't be watching GOT HAM KNIGHTS, then!

Certainly, you can skip this week without it mattering.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-21 (Tuesday)

<tvq0l8$2pt2u$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180111&group=rec.arts.tv#180111

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 11:50:33 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 17:50 UTC

On 2023-03-22 7:08 p.m., anim8rfsk wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> And why they shouldn’t steal old Star Trek episode titles.

>>> Yes, this is borderline cringe worthy. Although Carter probably had it
>>> coming for her speech about the placement of her reproductive organs a
>>> couple episodes before.
>>>
>> After posting I checked the Trivia in IMDb for the episode.
>>
>> "Katharyn Powers is also responsible for the very similar Star Trek: The
>> Next Generation: Code of Honor (1987). Both episodes feature a female
>> officer being abducted and later participating in a fight to the death
>> which both parties survive. Furthermore, both are widely considered to
>> be among the worst of their respective series."
>>

> Ouch
>
> Worse than “Crusher has an orgasm”?
>
> Worse than “crusher turns into a spider“?
>
> Worse than “data turns into a Mayan“?

No. Just competitive. Although part of the reason why Code of Honor
was so poorly thought of was an element that the script writer had
nothing do with, that the local culture was depicted as "African" in
appearance.