Life can be so tragic -- you're here today and here tomorrow.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: JEOPARDY! Screws Up; Producers Apologize

SubjectAuthor
* JEOPARDY! Screws Up; Producers ApologizeBTR1701
+- Re: JEOPARDY! Screws Up; Producers Apologizeanim8rfsk
+- Re: JEOPARDY! Screws Up; Producers Apologizetrotsky
+* Re: JEOPARDY! Screws Up; Producers ApologizeJ.B. Nicholson
|`* Re: JEOPARDY! Screws Up; Producers ApologizeA Friend
| `- Re: JEOPARDY! Screws Up; Producers Apologizetrotsky
`- Re: JEOPARDY! Screws Up; Producers Apologizechromebook test

1
JEOPARDY! Screws Up; Producers Apologize

<rpednfQ5LYY0Q4D5nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179913&group=rec.arts.tv#179913

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: JEOPARDY! Screws Up; Producers Apologize
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 17:32:25 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 17:32 UTC

Last week, JEOPARDY! aired what some are calling "the show's biggest flub yet"
and now, producers are addressing it and taking responsibility. It happened on
Wednesday during the first episode of the finals of the three-week-long High
School Reunion Tournament. Before gameplay started, as host Mayim Bialik was
congratulating the contestants for making it this far and wishing them good
luck, the camera cut to the three players at their podiums, and the podiums
showed all three finalists' final scores-- before the game even started.

Executive Producer Michael Davies took to the show's podcast, Inside
JEOPARDY!, to speak about what happened. He started by apologizing, saying,
"My apologies to the audience at the top of the show. We totally blew it. We
made a horrible error and revealed the final scores at the end in the opening
cutaway shot during Mayim's monologue."

Davies explained:

"It's a series of errors that it's somewhat remarkable that they all happened,
starting with the decision to pick up [reshoot] the monologue. We can't
remember exactly what was wrong with the monologue but we do occasionally pick
up monologues for some reason - sometimes there's a fact that's incorrect, and
sometimes there's a performance issue, so we pick it up [reshoot it] at the
end of the show - there is a cutaway shot there, of course, it should be
standard procedure and it is a standard procedure that we take the scores on
the podiums back to the original level, but it didn't happen. This was then
not caught in post [production] and it was not caught in the final QC [quality
control]."

Davies added, "So many elements that should check this. We have now put into
place a new series of protocols that will prevent this from happening again
but I gotta tell you, I'm sure if you're honest with yourselves there are
mistakes made in every single one of your businesses. We're trying to be more
transparent with mistakes when we make them. Every part of the JEOPARDY!
process - there is some pressure, we're making more episodes and working more
hours so that does lead to more mistakes. But there is no excuse."

Viewers were pretty put off by the error with one calling it "inexcusable" and
another referring to it as "a pretty significant screw-up".

It didn't affect the game though, and after the second of the two final High
School Reunion Tournament shows, Brown freshman Justin Bolsen won it all,
earning $100,000 and entry into the show's 2023 Tournament of Champions.

https://www.iheart.com/content/2023-03-15-jeopardy-producers-apologize-for-horrible-error-on-show-we-blew-it/

Re: JEOPARDY! Screws Up; Producers Apologize

<695586120.701375731.159350.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179923&group=rec.arts.tv#179923

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: JEOPARDY! Screws Up; Producers Apologize
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 11:51:49 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 18:51 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> Last week, JEOPARDY! aired what some are calling "the show's biggest flub yet"
and now, producers are addressing it and taking responsibility. It happened
on
Wednesday during the first episode of the finals of the three-week-long
High
School Reunion Tournament. Before gameplay started, as host Mayim
Bialik was
congratulating the contestants for making it this far and wishing them good
luck, the camera cut to the three players at their podiums, and the podiums
showed all three finalists' final scores-- before the game even started.

> Executive Producer Michael Davies took to the show's podcast, Inside
JEOPARDY!, to speak about what happened. He started by apologizing, saying,
"My apologies to the audience at the top of the show. We totally blew it.
We
made a horrible error and revealed the final scores at the end in the
opening
cutaway shot during Mayim's monologue."

> Davies explained:
>
> "It's a series of errors that it's somewhat remarkable that they all happened,
starting with the decision to pick up [reshoot] the monologue. We can't
remember exactly what was wrong with the monologue but we do occasionally
pick
up monologues for some reason - sometimes there's a fact that's incorrect,
and
sometimes there's a performance issue,

I knew it, it was all Mayim Bialik’s fault!

Re: JEOPARDY! Screws Up; Producers Apologize

<wwxTL.201971$OD18.132308@fx08.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=179981&group=rec.arts.tv#179981

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 02:37:00 -0500
 by: trotsky - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 07:37 UTC

On 3/24/23 12:32 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> Last week, JEOPARDY! aired what some are calling "the show's biggest flub yet"
> and now, producers are addressing it and taking responsibility. It happened on
> Wednesday during the first episode of the finals of the three-week-long High
> School Reunion Tournament. Before gameplay started, as host Mayim Bialik was
> congratulating the contestants for making it this far and wishing them good
> luck, the camera cut to the three players at their podiums, and the podiums
> showed all three finalists' final scores-- before the game even started.
>
> Executive Producer Michael Davies took to the show's podcast, Inside
> JEOPARDY!, to speak about what happened. He started by apologizing, saying,
> "My apologies to the audience at the top of the show. We totally blew it. We
> made a horrible error and revealed the final scores at the end in the opening
> cutaway shot during Mayim's monologue."
>
> Davies explained:
>
> "It's a series of errors that it's somewhat remarkable that they all happened,
> starting with the decision to pick up [reshoot] the monologue. We can't
> remember exactly what was wrong with the monologue but we do occasionally pick
> up monologues for some reason - sometimes there's a fact that's incorrect, and
> sometimes there's a performance issue, so we pick it up [reshoot it] at the
> end of the show - there is a cutaway shot there, of course, it should be
> standard procedure and it is a standard procedure that we take the scores on
> the podiums back to the original level, but it didn't happen. This was then
> not caught in post [production] and it was not caught in the final QC [quality
> control]."
>
> Davies added, "So many elements that should check this. We have now put into
> place a new series of protocols that will prevent this from happening again
> but I gotta tell you, I'm sure if you're honest with yourselves there are
> mistakes made in every single one of your businesses. We're trying to be more
> transparent with mistakes when we make them. Every part of the JEOPARDY!
> process - there is some pressure, we're making more episodes and working more
> hours so that does lead to more mistakes. But there is no excuse."
>
> Viewers were pretty put off by the error with one calling it "inexcusable" and
> another referring to it as "a pretty significant screw-up".
>
> It didn't affect the game though, and after the second of the two final High
> School Reunion Tournament shows, Brown freshman Justin Bolsen won it all,
> earning $100,000 and entry into the show's 2023 Tournament of Champions.
>

> https://www.iheart.com/content/2023-03-15-jeopardy-producers-apologize-for-horrible-error-on-show-we-blew-it/

So you couldn't find a way to blame Bialik for this? LOL.

Re: JEOPARDY! Screws Up; Producers Apologize

<slrnu21bo7.15mdi.jbn@forestfield.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180128&group=rec.arts.tv#180128

From: jbn...@forestfield.org (J.B. Nicholson)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 20:45:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: J.B. Nicholson - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 20:45 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> Last week, JEOPARDY! aired what some are calling "the show's biggest flub yet"
> and now, producers are addressing it and taking responsibility.

Even the article doesn't agree with this overstatement:

> It didn't affect the game though [...]

How could this be "the show's biggest flub yet" if it "didn't affect
the game"?

A mistake that has the possiblity of affecting the outcome of a game
(particularly a game played for money) strikes me as being more
significant than revealing who won at the start of the show (which
amounts to a minor spoiler you'll learn about in roughly 30 minutes).

I'm not sure if I recall Jeopardy!'s playing rules correctly, but my
recollection is that in Jeopardy!, one can respond with an
unanticipated question that is correct but treated as incorrect. This
oversight on the show's part will initially result in points being
taken away for the so-called wrong response plus the loss of
controlling the board (the power to say something like: "I'll take
World History for $500."). Even if the points are restored later (say,
during the next commercial break), the loss of control of the board in
that moment is also a significant loss: For all we know, there's a
Daily Double behind the cell on the game board that the cheated
contestant would have chosen next. Daily Double questions are an
opportunity to win more than the listed amount of money and an
exclusive opportunity to respond (because the other contestants don't
get to buzz in). That loss of control of the board could change the
outcome of a game; denied opportunity is worth something in this
game. That makes this kind of error a more (objectively) important
"flub" than revealing who won the already-played game at the start of
the recording.

Re: JEOPARDY! Screws Up; Producers Apologize

<260320231721012283%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180133&group=rec.arts.tv#180133

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 17:21:01 -0400
 by: A Friend - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 21:21 UTC

In article <slrnu21bo7.15mdi.jbn@forestfield.org>, J.B. Nicholson
<jbn@forestfield.org> wrote:

> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> > Last week, JEOPARDY! aired what some are calling "the show's
> > biggest flub yet" and now, producers are addressing it and taking
> > responsibility.
>
> Even the article doesn't agree with this overstatement:
>
> > It didn't affect the game though [...]
>
> How could this be "the show's biggest flub yet" if it "didn't affect
> the game"?

It can't be the "biggest flub yet." It was a trivial goof in
post-production. The mistake didn't affect gameplay at all. Viewers
who noticed might have been spoiled, but so what? (I was watching and
didn't notice, but we were having dinner, and the distractions during
that time are many and almost entirely pet-related.)

"Biggest flub yet"? Some people really need to get out more.

> A mistake that has the possiblity of affecting the outcome of a game
> (particularly a game played for money) strikes me as being more
> significant than revealing who won at the start of the show (which
> amounts to a minor spoiler you'll learn about in roughly 30 minutes).

Agreed^3.

Re: JEOPARDY! Screws Up; Producers Apologize

<66cb8268-ada0-4548-ab90-3489c8455903n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180143&group=rec.arts.tv#180143

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 16:01:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 23:01 UTC

On Friday, March 24, 2023 at 1:32:39 PM UTC-4, BTR1701 wrote:

> Last week, JEOPARDY! aired what some are calling "the show's biggest flub yet"

A “Jeopardy” Contestant Asked, “What Is Palestine?” The Game Show Gave the Wrong Answer.
https://theintercept.com/2020/01/13/jeopardy-contestant-asked-palestine-game-show-gave-wrong-answer/

Mayim Bialik finally answers the question we have all been asking:
https://youtu.be/6ixHdlnzfaU?t=365

TAGS: If You Can't Stand The Heat, Should you Get Out of The Oven ?

Re: JEOPARDY! Screws Up; Producers Apologize

<cFcUL.1186475$gGD7.868802@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180180&group=rec.arts.tv#180180

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 03:41:43 -0500
 by: trotsky - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 08:41 UTC

On 3/26/23 4:21 PM, A Friend wrote:
> In article <slrnu21bo7.15mdi.jbn@forestfield.org>, J.B. Nicholson
> <jbn@forestfield.org> wrote:
>
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>>> Last week, JEOPARDY! aired what some are calling "the show's
>>> biggest flub yet" and now, producers are addressing it and taking
>>> responsibility.
>>
>> Even the article doesn't agree with this overstatement:
>>
>>> It didn't affect the game though [...]
>>
>> How could this be "the show's biggest flub yet" if it "didn't affect
>> the game"?
>

> It can't be the "biggest flub yet." It was a trivial goof in
> post-production. The mistake didn't affect gameplay at all. Viewers
> who noticed might have been spoiled, but so what? (I was watching and
> didn't notice, but we were having dinner, and the distractions during
> that time are many and almost entirely pet-related.)
>
> "Biggest flub yet"? Some people really need to get out more.

In Jeopardy terms the response would be "What is "overeacting?"
(Referring to the biggest flub verbiage obviously.)