The three best things about going to school are June, July, and August.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Mr. Rogers & Johnny Carson: Dispensing Wisdom

SubjectAuthor
* Mr. Rogers & Johnny Carson: Dispensing WisdomBTR1701
+- Re: Mr. Rogers & Johnny Carson: Dispensing Wisdomanim8rfsk
+- Re: Mr. Rogers & Johnny Carson: Dispensing Wisdomtrotsky
`* Re: Mr. Rogers & Johnny Carson: Dispensing WisdommoviePig
 `* Re: Mr. Rogers & Johnny Carson: Dispensing WisdomThe Horny Goat
  `* Re: Mr. Rogers & Johnny Carson: Dispensing WisdommoviePig
   `- Re: Mr. Rogers & Johnny Carson: Dispensing WisdomThe Horny Goat

1
Mr. Rogers & Johnny Carson: Dispensing Wisdom

<lxidnc7TQbx6Pb35nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180123&group=rec.arts.tv#180123

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Mr. Rogers & Johnny Carson: Dispensing Wisdom
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 19:45:43 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 19:45 UTC

Notice how the audience laughs. That's because back then we all had common
sense and weren't scared of screeching 'activists' calling us bigots for
expressing common sense.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1639377304777269249/pu/vid/424x270/RZxE5vndSO7V7jD7.mp4?tag=12

Re: Mr. Rogers & Johnny Carson: Dispensing Wisdom

<1716383398.701568862.925994.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180151&group=rec.arts.tv#180151

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Mr. Rogers & Johnny Carson: Dispensing Wisdom
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 17:18:37 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 00:18 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> Notice how the audience laughs. That's because back then we all had common
sense and weren't scared of screeching 'activists' calling us bigots for
expressing common sense.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1639377304777269249/pu/vid/424x270/RZxE5vndSO7V7jD7.mp4?tag=12

My favorite part is the cutting off the tops of their heads to avoid pillar
boxing.

Re: Mr. Rogers & Johnny Carson: Dispensing Wisdom

<locUL.2139948$GNG9.35700@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180175&group=rec.arts.tv#180175

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 03:23:45 -0500
 by: trotsky - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 08:23 UTC

On 3/26/23 2:45 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> Notice how the audience laughs. That's because back then we all had common
> sense and weren't scared of screeching 'activists' calling us bigots for
> expressing common sense.
>

> https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1639377304777269249/pu/vid/424x270/RZxE5vndSO7V7jD7.mp4?tag=12

Fred Rogers and Carson, can't get much more topical than that.

Re: Mr. Rogers & Johnny Carson: Dispensing Wisdom

<D%iUL.226238$jiuc.184188@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180209&group=rec.arts.tv#180209

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 11:55:13 -0400
 by: moviePig - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 15:55 UTC

On 3/26/2023 3:45 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> Notice how the audience laughs. That's because back then we all had common
> sense and weren't scared of screeching 'activists' calling us bigots for
> expressing common sense.
>

> https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1639377304777269249/pu/vid/424x270/RZxE5vndSO7V7jD7.mp4?tag=12

Actually, I've always been leery of screeching *anybody*...

Re: Mr. Rogers & Johnny Carson: Dispensing Wisdom

<b8542idjtm732r1jpm8t6ubu0u9kp0l3re@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180224&group=rec.arts.tv#180224

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 15:21:49 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 22:21 UTC

On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 11:55:13 -0400, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
wrote:

>On 3/26/2023 3:45 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>> Notice how the audience laughs. That's because back then we all had common
>> sense and weren't scared of screeching 'activists' calling us bigots for
>> expressing common sense.
>>

>> https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1639377304777269249/pu/vid/424x270/RZxE5vndSO7V7jD7.mp4?tag=12
>
>Actually, I've always been leery of screeching *anybody*...

Somehow I don't think we're talking about the sort of "screeching"
I've been through.

For those culturally impaired, "Screech" is a Newfoundland drink
resembling rum and at least as "high octane" (about 40% alcohol).

I being a then somewhat naive British Columbian attending business
school with my very good friend from Newfoundland was invited to toast
his completion of his last examination (mine wasn't until the
following Monday) and he gave me the usually shot glass sized portion
which I not knowing any better didn't sip it (like you're supposed to)
but raised my glass to him then took the whole shot down.

He looked at me in horror and no question it hit me like of ton of
bricks.

Years later in 2005 I was in Newfoundland and was shocked to find them
selling screech in the grocery stores in the 2 liter bottle typical of
Canadian soft drinks. (I bought 2 - 1 for me and one for my
father-in-law who liked to be able to offer unusual drinks at his bar)

Again - this is probably not the kind of 'screeching' you had in mind
- this kind of "screeching" is generally something you do to people
you LIKE and like you I would be leery of 'screeching' somebody (like
me in 1982) who didn't know how to drink it....

Re: Mr. Rogers & Johnny Carson: Dispensing Wisdom

<OUoUL.1264593$8_id.417439@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180228&group=rec.arts.tv#180228

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 18:37:33 -0400
 by: moviePig - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 22:37 UTC

On 3/27/2023 6:21 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 11:55:13 -0400, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 3/26/2023 3:45 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>>> Notice how the audience laughs. That's because back then we all had common
>>> sense and weren't scared of screeching 'activists' calling us bigots for
>>> expressing common sense.
>>>

>>> https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1639377304777269249/pu/vid/424x270/RZxE5vndSO7V7jD7.mp4?tag=12
>>
>> Actually, I've always been leery of screeching *anybody*...
>>

> Somehow I don't think we're talking about the sort of "screeching"
> I've been through.
>
> For those culturally impaired, "Screech" is a Newfoundland drink
> resembling rum and at least as "high octane" (about 40% alcohol).
>
> I being a then somewhat naive British Columbian attending business
> school with my very good friend from Newfoundland was invited to toast
> his completion of his last examination (mine wasn't until the
> following Monday) and he gave me the usually shot glass sized portion
> which I not knowing any better didn't sip it (like you're supposed to)
> but raised my glass to him then took the whole shot down.
>
> He looked at me in horror and no question it hit me like of ton of
> bricks.
>
> Years later in 2005 I was in Newfoundland and was shocked to find them
> selling screech in the grocery stores in the 2 liter bottle typical of
> Canadian soft drinks. (I bought 2 - 1 for me and one for my
> father-in-law who liked to be able to offer unusual drinks at his bar)
>
> Again - this is probably not the kind of 'screeching' you had in mind
> - this kind of "screeching" is generally something you do to people
> you LIKE and like you I would be leery of 'screeching' somebody (like
> me in 1982) who didn't know how to drink it....

Google seems to think 'screech' is somewhere between rum and rotgut...

Re: Mr. Rogers & Johnny Carson: Dispensing Wisdom

<tvq42idmrf1gblapjtu3jh04e8e683beqd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180270&group=rec.arts.tv#180270

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 21:26:16 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 04:26 UTC

On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 18:37:33 -0400, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
wrote:

>> Again - this is probably not the kind of 'screeching' you had in mind
>> - this kind of "screeching" is generally something you do to people
>> you LIKE and like you I would be leery of 'screeching' somebody (like
>> me in 1982) who didn't know how to drink it....
>
>Google seems to think 'screech' is somewhere between rum and rotgut...

Having consumed it I haven't had occasion to look it up on Google but
that's not an unfair description. I certainly wouldn't attempt to
drive after more than one shot of it!

Again 40% alcohol content...