If you want divine justice, die. -- Nick Seldon

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)shawn
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)Ian J. Ball
|+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)shawn
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)Arthur Lipscomb
||+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)BTR1701
||+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)shawn
|||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)Ian J. Ball
||| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)chromebook test
||+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)Ian J. Ball
|||`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)Arthur Lipscomb
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)Dimensional Traveler
|| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)Arthur Lipscomb
|`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)Ubiquitous
+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)Dimensional Traveler
+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)chromebook test
`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)Ubiquitous

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)

<15g52i95b8f4417ma52m1kf4qa9gdqr78t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180282&group=rec.arts.tv#180282

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 06:38:15 -0400
 by: shawn - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 10:38 UTC

I didn't get in a lot but did watch the following:

Rabbit Hole episode 1

In this one we have Kiefer Sutherland running a private company that
specializes in helping out other high finance companies through extra
legal means like arranging for bad news (whether real or faked) to
come out about their competition. In this episode we have the team
involved first in giving a high net worth individual some bad stock
information that he then acts on leading to a huge loss for him and
his company which the team's client takes advantage of. Supposedly
this high net worth individual is also worthy of fleecing as Kiefer's
character (John Weir) likes to take from people who he considers
worthy of fleecing. Consider him a sort of Robin Hood who takes from
the unworthy rich to give to his team and their clients.

Then he gets asked to do another job by an old friend/work mate where
he arranges for two people to be seen meeting and apparently
exchanging something. Two people that would never meet without the
teams intervention as one is a member of the US Treasury Department
and the other is the CEO of the Bannomar Group. So they go through a
complex setup to get the two to meet and pass an envelope between them
while they are photographed which are then passed over to his old
friend at Arda Analytics. All well and good as it all goes off
without a hitch.

Then we get Weir being accused of murdering the treasury official,
evading the police and sneaking into Arda Analytics through the use of
a fake bomb, confronting his friend as to what is going on. Said
friend gets a phone call and a message telling him to "Do it now!" and
walks out on to his office balcony and leaps to his death. Needless to
say now Weir is being accused of killing his friend and has to use the
fake bomb to do a batman style escape through the use a smoke grenade
and a Tesla with self driving. He then proceeds back to his office
just in time to see it blow up, presumably with his entire team
inside.

Now if that wasn't enough there's an unexpected twist at the end of
the first episode. If you haven't picked up in it there's non-stop
action of a sort in the show as Weir is moving from situation to
situation along with a constant bit of paranoia from Weir. Which may
not be uncalled for as it does appear that there are other people at
work here with some unknown plan.

Law & Order
Here there was an older retired Jewish reporter who gets killed after
having the side of his home painted "Jew" in black paint. Turns out
that the killer is found but the anonymous source that led to his
discovery won't come forward and the reporter that was with the killed
man won't disclose their identity. So a deal needs to be made with the
white supremacist that painted "Jew" on the guys home because he saw
the killer at the guys block when the killing happened and saw him
with the murder weapon, but this neo-Nazi has committed his own
heinous crime and put a woman in the hospital just because he heard
her speaking in Hebrew.

So the question becomes do they cut loose the neo-Nazi in order to get
him to testify and put away the murderer? Who by the way only killed
the reporter because he was about to reveal the murderer as having
bilked the city out of millions of dollars by having set up a fake
company that then led to the death of six people when the company
didn't do certain safety upgrades it was paid to complete. Jack is on
board to make the deal but they had to have the attorney in charge of
the case wavering on what to do since both options (making the deal
and letting the neo-Nazi go free or letting the murderer go free) is
ideal. In the end the deal is made, the murderer gets convicted and
the neo-Nazi goes free, for now.

What did you watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)

<tvusqe$3pd3n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180292&group=rec.arts.tv#180292

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 07:15:42 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 14:15 UTC

On 2023-03-28 10:38:15 +0000, shawn said:

> I didn't get in a lot but did watch the following:
>
> Rabbit Hole episode 1
>
> In this one we have Kiefer Sutherland running a private company that
> specializes in helping out other high finance companies through extra
> legal means like arranging for bad news (whether real or faked) to
> come out about their competition. In this episode we have the team
> involved first in giving a high net worth individual some bad stock
> information that he then acts on leading to a huge loss for him and
> his company which the team's client takes advantage of. Supposedly
> this high net worth individual is also worthy of fleecing as Kiefer's
> character (John Weir) likes to take from people who he considers
> worthy of fleecing. Consider him a sort of Robin Hood who takes from
> the unworthy rich to give to his team and their clients.

This actually sounds sort of like "Leverage"...

> [snip]

The later parts do sound more like "24".

I don't like the bait-and-switch you seem to be describing at the end, though.

But this is on Pee+, so I will never see it.

> What did you watch?

Somewhat long workday, and I had to do grading, so just:

soaps: DOOL - Fri's & Mon's ep's. In the good news department, they
seem to be moving to wrap up the Megan Hathaway story quickly, which I
am already sick to death of. But I'm annoyed that Kate is supposedly
murdered (of course, I don't believe she's dead...), and people like
Kayla just seem to be rolling with it like they don't care!! (For
example, no one is saying - "Where did you shoot her? Where is the
body?!")
But the bad news is that we are being treated to extraneous stories
I don't care about, like Hope and <s>Jason Morgan</s> this Harris dude,
and even worse Ciara (whom I no longer care about) and Ben (I already
prefer him as Alex K.!!) having another baby! (And the John actor
doesn't even hold a gun properly!!)
Can we please get back to the relevant storylines?!!

Beyond that, I just left the "Ruby"/so-called "Landry Family" saga V.C.
Andrews miniseries on LMN on in the background in the evening while I
tried to grade. Lifetime is already advertising their next V.C. Andrews
miniseries (for this summer?), the "Dawn Cutler" series, that stars
Brec Bassinger (Stargirl SG-1!), and features Fran Drescher(!) and
Donna Mills(!!).

Recorded for later: Just GH.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)

<5eu52it22jk6ht890855n9hs03k7bmtu37@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180294&group=rec.arts.tv#180294

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 10:32:57 -0400
 by: shawn - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 14:32 UTC

On Tue, 28 Mar 2023 07:15:42 -0700, Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>On 2023-03-28 10:38:15 +0000, shawn said:
>
>> I didn't get in a lot but did watch the following:
>>
>> Rabbit Hole episode 1
>>
>> In this one we have Kiefer Sutherland running a private company that
>> specializes in helping out other high finance companies through extra
>> legal means like arranging for bad news (whether real or faked) to
>> come out about their competition. In this episode we have the team
>> involved first in giving a high net worth individual some bad stock
>> information that he then acts on leading to a huge loss for him and
>> his company which the team's client takes advantage of. Supposedly
>> this high net worth individual is also worthy of fleecing as Kiefer's
>> character (John Weir) likes to take from people who he considers
>> worthy of fleecing. Consider him a sort of Robin Hood who takes from
>> the unworthy rich to give to his team and their clients.
>
>This actually sounds sort of like "Leverage"...

Yeah, the idea at the start is similar, but then it quickly turns into
THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR or "24."

>> [snip]
>
>The later parts do sound more like "24".
>
>I don't like the bait-and-switch you seem to be describing at the end, though.

It's not what you would call a bait and switch. Just something
unexpected that sets up what should be an interesting second episode.

>But this is on Pee+, so I will never see it.
>
>> What did you watch?
>
>Somewhat long workday, and I had to do grading, so just:
>
>soaps: DOOL - Fri's & Mon's ep's. In the good news department, they
>seem to be moving to wrap up the Megan Hathaway story quickly, which I
>am already sick to death of. But I'm annoyed that Kate is supposedly
>murdered (of course, I don't believe she's dead...), and people like
>Kayla just seem to be rolling with it like they don't care!! (For
>example, no one is saying - "Where did you shoot her? Where is the
>body?!")
> But the bad news is that we are being treated to extraneous stories
>I don't care about, like Hope and <s>Jason Morgan</s> this Harris dude,
>and even worse Ciara (whom I no longer care about) and Ben (I already
>prefer him as Alex K.!!) having another baby! (And the John actor
>doesn't even hold a gun properly!!)
> Can we please get back to the relevant storylines?!!
>
>Beyond that, I just left the "Ruby"/so-called "Landry Family" saga V.C.
>Andrews miniseries on LMN on in the background in the evening while I
>tried to grade. Lifetime is already advertising their next V.C. Andrews
>miniseries (for this summer?), the "Dawn Cutler" series, that stars
>Brec Bassinger (Stargirl SG-1!), and features Fran Drescher(!) and
>Donna Mills(!!).
>
>Recorded for later: Just GH.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)

<tvv47h$3qihe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180302&group=rec.arts.tv#180302

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 09:22:10 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 16:22 UTC

On 3/28/2023 3:38 AM, shawn wrote:

> What did you watch?

Thank you for asking!

Not much, just...

Stargate: SG-1 *whaps Anim*

S1E13 'Hathor'
An expedition to a pyramid in Mexico uncovers a gou'ald sarcophagus in
which Hathor is in suspended animation. They make the mistake of
opening it with unhappy results for them. The sarcophagus is shipped to
Jackson at SGC and Hathor shows up soon afterwards. Using pheromones
Hathor starts mesmerizing the male members of SGC. She explains to the
entranced Jackson that she is, in effect, a gou'ald "queen bee", a
breeder of gou'ald. Then she, very pleasantly, collects some "code of
life" from Jackson and starts birthing larval human-compatible gou'ald.
As she is turning O'Neill into a Jaffa and setting him up to be
implanted with a gou'ald Captain Carter, Doctor Frasier and some of the
other women on base move against her. With the help of an unaffected
Teal'c they save O'Neill and use the sarcophagus to undo his
transformation. Hathor arrives with reinforcements too late to stop it
but the resulting firefight destroys the sarcophagus and injures Teal'c
and Fraiser. O'Neill and Carter get some tranquilizer guns and go after
Hathor again. They kill the larva she's already created but don't
realize she got away until she dials the Star Gate out and leaves for
Chulak.

What did you watch?

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)

<tvv5dr$3qs2n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180305&group=rec.arts.tv#180305

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 09:42:21 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 16:42 UTC

On 3/28/2023 7:15 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2023-03-28 10:38:15 +0000, shawn said:
>
>> I didn't get in a lot but did watch the following:
>>
>> Rabbit Hole  episode 1
>>
>> In this one we have Kiefer Sutherland running a private company that
>> specializes in helping out other high finance companies through extra
>> legal means like arranging for bad news (whether real or faked) to
>> come out about their competition. In this episode we have the team
>> involved first in giving a high net worth individual some bad stock
>> information that he then acts on leading to a huge loss for him and
>> his company which the team's client takes advantage of. Supposedly
>> this high net worth individual is also worthy of fleecing as Kiefer's
>> character (John Weir) likes to take from people who he considers
>> worthy of fleecing. Consider him a sort of Robin Hood who takes from
>> the unworthy rich to give to his team and their clients.
>
> This actually sounds sort of like "Leverage"...
>
>> [snip]
>
> The later parts do sound more like "24".
>
> I don't like the bait-and-switch you seem to be describing at the end,
> though.
>
> But this is on Pee+, so I will never see it.

I never watched Leverage, but I am curious about this show. I've mostly
avoided the commercials (and reviews) so I don't really know what it's
about. The main draw is Sutherland. I think Peacock is moving from
free tier to paid tier soon so I have plans to binge everything I can on
the network before I have to cancel my subscription. But there's a good
chance I won't get around to doing that...

>> What did you watch?
>
> Somewhat long workday, and I had to do grading, so just:
>
> soaps: DOOL - Fri's & Mon's ep's. In the good news department, they seem
> to be moving to wrap up the Megan Hathaway story quickly, which I am
> already sick to death of. But I'm annoyed that Kate is supposedly
> murdered (of course, I don't believe she's dead...), and people like
> Kayla just seem to be rolling with it like they don't care!! (For
> example, no one is saying - "Where did you shoot her? Where is the body?!")
>   But the bad news is that we are being treated to extraneous stories I
> don't care about, like Hope and <s>Jason Morgan</s> this Harris dude,
> and even worse Ciara (whom I no longer care about) and Ben (I already
> prefer him as Alex K.!!) having another baby! (And the John actor
> doesn't even hold a gun properly!!)
>   Can we please get back to the relevant storylines?!!
>
> Beyond that, I just left the "Ruby"/so-called "Landry Family" saga V.C.
> Andrews miniseries on LMN on in the background in the evening while I
> tried to grade. Lifetime is already advertising their next V.C. Andrews
> miniseries (for this summer?), the "Dawn Cutler" series, that stars Brec
> Bassinger (Stargirl SG-1!), and features Fran Drescher(!) and Donna
> Mills(!!).
>
> Recorded for later: Just GH.

I watched

The Blacklist - "The Dockery Affair" - I already forgot what happened
(something about investigating a murdered judge) but I know WUjing
picked up a new friend. Although I wouldn't be surprised if his
"friend" is secretly still on Red's side.

Succession (HBO) "The Munsters" - Season 4 premier. I watched the first
half on Sunday night but was half asleep. I decided on Monday to just
watch the entire episode from the start again. Even wide awake I still
couldn't follow this convoluted show!

9-1-1 - "Recovery" - Bobby, who is a firefighter, investigates the
murder of his friend. It's a shame he doesn't know anyone in law
enforcement he could have gone to for help...

Pearl (Netflix disc rental) 2022 "slasher" movie and prequel to the 2022
movie "X." Being a A24 movie I figured "X" was probably skippable, but
with all the hype for the two movies, I figured if I'm going to watch
"X" I should probably watch the prequel first. This prequel is set in
1918 and stars Mia Goth as a young woman living on a farm taking care of
her sick father, but she dreams of a life as a famous actress. The only
thing holding her back, aside from her lack of talent, is her
uncontrollable desire to murder people. I really don't know what to
make of this movie. I guess it was OK.

X (Showtime) 2022 "slasher" movie that takes place in 1979 and follows a
group of young people including Jenna Ortega, Brittany Snow and Mia
Goth, who rent an old farmhouse to secretly make an adult film. But the
old folks who rent them the farm turn out to be psycho murderers.

I was actually confused when this movie started and saw a young Mia Goth
as one of the young leads. Mia Goth played the younger version of the
old psycho woman in "Pearl" but then I realized that Mia played a dual
role in this movie as both the young would be starlet and the old psycho
woman. I really don't know *why* they structured the movie like that,
the similarities in appearance is referenced, but since she played the
old woman in "X" it was easy enough to take off the old age make up and
play the younger version of the character in the prequel. Considering
the prequel came out the same year I wonder if that was perhaps always
the intent.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)

<QNmcnYaYXJZ-sL75nZ2dnZfqn_sAAAAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180321&group=rec.arts.tv#180321

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 18:11:47 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 18:11 UTC

On Mar 28, 2023 at 9:42:21 AM PDT, "Arthur Lipscomb"
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> Succession (HBO) "The Munsters" - Season 4 premier. I watched the first
> half on Sunday night but was half asleep. I decided on Monday to just
> watch the entire episode from the start again. Even wide awake I still
> couldn't follow this convoluted show!

Yes, much like BILLIONS and INDUSTRY, I have to watch this show was
closed-captions on to have any hope of keeping up with all the high-finance
jargon, and even then I don't know what they're talking about half the time
and I'm starting to suspect neither do the writers.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)

<a8b62iplc4k70gec1van02c79lkl93vhvf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180322&group=rec.arts.tv#180322

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 14:12:41 -0400
 by: shawn - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 18:12 UTC

On Tue, 28 Mar 2023 09:42:21 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>On 3/28/2023 7:15 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> On 2023-03-28 10:38:15 +0000, shawn said:
>>
>>> I didn't get in a lot but did watch the following:
>>>
>>> Rabbit Hole  episode 1
>>>
>>> In this one we have Kiefer Sutherland running a private company that
>>> specializes in helping out other high finance companies through extra
>>> legal means like arranging for bad news (whether real or faked) to
>>> come out about their competition. In this episode we have the team
>>> involved first in giving a high net worth individual some bad stock
>>> information that he then acts on leading to a huge loss for him and
>>> his company which the team's client takes advantage of. Supposedly
>>> this high net worth individual is also worthy of fleecing as Kiefer's
>>> character (John Weir) likes to take from people who he considers
>>> worthy of fleecing. Consider him a sort of Robin Hood who takes from
>>> the unworthy rich to give to his team and their clients.
>>
>> This actually sounds sort of like "Leverage"...
>>
>>> [snip]
>>
>> The later parts do sound more like "24".
>>
>> I don't like the bait-and-switch you seem to be describing at the end,
>> though.
>>
>> But this is on Pee+, so I will never see it.
>>

>I never watched Leverage, but I am curious about this show. I've mostly
>avoided the commercials (and reviews) so I don't really know what it's
>about. The main draw is Sutherland. I think Peacock is moving from
>free tier to paid tier soon so I have plans to binge everything I can on
>the network before I have to cancel my subscription. But there's a good
>chance I won't get around to doing that...

Essentially it is about the same thing as THE NIGHT AGENT, the Netflix
new show. Both are about groups trying to destabilize the nation and
apparently from groups that are actually made up of US citizens.
Though NIGHT AGENT seems to be more action oriented while RABBIT HOLE
ties more into Weir's (Kiefer's character) paranoia. At least that's
what I get from what I've seen and read.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)

<tvvc6d$3s0sd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180327&group=rec.arts.tv#180327

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 11:38:05 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 18:38 UTC

On 2023-03-28 16:42:21 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> I watched
>
> Pearl (Netflix disc rental) 2022 "slasher" movie and prequel to the
> 2022 movie "X." Being a A24 movie I figured "X" was probably
> skippable, but with all the hype for the two movies, I figured if I'm
> going to watch "X" I should probably watch the prequel first. This
> prequel is set in 1918 and stars Mia Goth as a young woman living on a
> farm taking care of her sick father, but she dreams of a life as a
> famous actress. The only thing holding her back, aside from her lack
> of talent, is her uncontrollable desire to murder people. I really
> don't know what to make of this movie. I guess it was OK.
>

> X (Showtime) 2022 "slasher" movie that takes place in 1979 and follows
> a group of young people including Jenna Ortega, Brittany Snow and Mia
> Goth, who rent an old farmhouse to secretly make an adult film. But
> the old folks who rent them the farm turn out to be psycho murderers.
>
> I was actually confused when this movie started and saw a young Mia
> Goth as one of the young leads. Mia Goth played the younger version of
> the old psycho woman in "Pearl" but then I realized that Mia played a
> dual role in this movie as both the young would be starlet and the old
> psycho woman. I really don't know *why* they structured the movie like
> that, the similarities in appearance is referenced, but since she
> played the old woman in "X" it was easy enough to take off the old age
> make up and play the younger version of the character in the prequel.
> Considering the prequel came out the same year I wonder if that was
> perhaps always the intent.

I believe it is - I think it's apparently a planned trilogy. The third
movie is supposed to be Mia Goth's porn star character in the 1980s in
the porn industry, and I think she's willing to do *anything* to become
a star! (I'm guessing she'll follow Pearl's lead and start killing
people!)

I really wanted to like "X" better. Parts of it were interesting, and
Mia Goth is lovely nekkid. But the horror elements came off as purely
perfunctory (there was no... "spark", as it were), and I agree with you
that the underlying story of this horny old lady causing all of these
murders was kind of laughable.

I haven't seen "Pearl" yet, but if it shows up on Showtime too, I'll
certainly give it a watch.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)

<tvvcbn$3s1vp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180330&group=rec.arts.tv#180330

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 11:40:55 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 18:40 UTC

On 2023-03-28 18:12:41 +0000, shawn said:

> On Tue, 28 Mar 2023 09:42:21 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
> <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> This actually sounds sort of like "Leverage"...

>>> The later parts do sound more like "24".
>>>
>>> I don't like the bait-and-switch you seem to be describing at the end,
>>> though.
>>>
>>> But this is on Pee+, so I will never see it.
>>
>> I never watched Leverage, but I am curious about this show. I've mostly
>> avoided the commercials (and reviews) so I don't really know what it's
>> about. The main draw is Sutherland. I think Peacock is moving from
>> free tier to paid tier soon so I have plans to binge everything I can on
>> the network before I have to cancel my subscription. But there's a good
>> chance I won't get around to doing that...
>
> Essentially it is about the same thing as THE NIGHT AGENT, the Netflix
> new show. Both are about groups trying to destabilize the nation and
> apparently from groups that are actually made up of US citizens.
> Though NIGHT AGENT seems to be more action oriented while RABBIT HOLE
> ties more into Weir's (Kiefer's character) paranoia. At least that's
> what I get from what I've seen and read.

Thanks for the summaries - means I can give both of these series a
pass. I've seen far too many "evil Republicans are actually traitors
and Nazis!!1!" type TV shows ("Jericho" being one of the worst
examples), and am totally uninterested in that.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)

<f674853c-d4fd-40af-8131-bed37d1f6249n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180331&group=rec.arts.tv#180331

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 11:44:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 18:44 UTC

On Tuesday, March 28, 2023 at 6:38:26 AM UTC-4, shawn wrote:
> I didn't get in a lot but did watch the following:

> Law & Order

> Here there was an older retired Jewish reporter who gets killed after
> having the side of his home painted "Jew" in black paint.
> white supremacist that painted "Jew" on the guys home because he saw
> the killer at the guys block when the killing happened and saw him
> with the murder weapon, but this neo-Nazi has committed his own
> heinous crime and put a woman in the hospital just because he heard
> her speaking in Hebrew.

> So the question becomes do they cut loose the neo-Nazi

> and letting the neo-Nazi go free or letting the murderer go free) is
> ideal. In the end the deal is made, the murderer gets convicted and
> the neo-Nazi goes free, for now.
>

> What did you watch?

As Israeli Jews continue to bulldoze Palestinian homes and schools and American television sympathizes with the apartheid state, I watched

Great Expectations (2023)

First two episodes were very good despite poor reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Camera work, settings, costumes and acting were engaging and authentic. Young Pip and assoc actors transition from teens to young adults mid ep 2. There are only 6 eps in total and I look forward to final 4.

Apparently this version of GE is a bit sexier than the original Dickens story with prostitution, sado-masochism, opium, whips and chains, blackmail and boogering little boys.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)

<34b856a4-4626-41d3-a306-a38054b325d0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180332&group=rec.arts.tv#180332

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 11:49:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 18:49 UTC

On Tuesday, March 28, 2023 at 2:41:00 PM UTC-4, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2023-03-28 18:12:41 +0000, shawn said:
>
> > On Tue, 28 Mar 2023 09:42:21 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
> > <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> >> I never watched Leverage, but I am curious about this show. I've mostly
> >> avoided the commercials (and reviews) so I don't really know what it's
> >> about. The main draw is Sutherland. I think Peacock is moving from
> >> free tier to paid tier soon so I have plans to binge everything I can on
> >> the network before I have to cancel my subscription. But there's a good
> >> chance I won't get around to doing that...
> >
> > Essentially it is about the same thing as THE NIGHT AGENT, the Netflix
> > new show. Both are about groups trying to destabilize the nation and
> > apparently from groups that are actually made up of US citizens.
> > Though NIGHT AGENT seems to be more action oriented while RABBIT HOLE
> > ties more into Weir's (Kiefer's character) paranoia. At least that's
> > what I get from what I've seen and read.

> Thanks for the summaries - means I can give both of these series a
> pass. I've seen far too many "evil Republicans are actually traitors
> and Nazis!!1!" type TV shows

A day without squeezing juice is a day without sunshine, on American media

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)

<tvvl4e$3tbmr$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180363&group=rec.arts.tv#180363

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 14:10:41 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 21:10 UTC

On 3/28/2023 9:42 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> [...]
> group of young people including Jenna Ortega, Brittany Snow and Mia
> Goth, who rent an old farmhouse to secretly make an adult film.  But the
> old folks who rent them the farm turn out to be psycho murderers.
>
> I was actually confused when this movie started and saw a young Mia Goth
> as one of the young leads.  Mia Goth played the younger version of the
> old psycho woman in "Pearl" but then I realized that Mia played a dual
> role in this movie as both the young would be starlet and the old psycho
> woman.  I really don't know *why* they structured the movie like that,
> the similarities in appearance is referenced, but since she played the
> old woman in "X" it was easy enough to take off the old age make up and
> play the younger version of the character in the prequel.  Considering
> the prequel came out the same year I wonder if that was perhaps always

There is a third movie in the franchise in development if not already in
production, which would support the "always the intent" theory.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)

<tvvpck$3u48v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180378&group=rec.arts.tv#180378

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 15:23:15 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 22:23 UTC

On 3/28/2023 11:38 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2023-03-28 16:42:21 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:
>
>> I watched
>>
>> Pearl (Netflix disc rental) 2022 "slasher" movie and prequel to the
>> 2022 movie "X."  Being a A24 movie I figured "X" was probably
>> skippable, but with all the hype for the two movies, I figured if I'm
>> going to watch "X" I should probably watch the prequel first.  This
>> prequel is set in 1918 and stars Mia Goth as a young woman living on a
>> farm taking care of her sick father, but she dreams of a life as a
>> famous actress.  The only thing holding her back, aside from her lack
>> of talent, is her uncontrollable desire to murder people.  I really
>> don't know what to make of this movie.  I guess it was OK.
>>

>> X (Showtime) 2022 "slasher" movie that takes place in 1979 and follows
>> a group of young people including Jenna Ortega, Brittany Snow and Mia
>> Goth, who rent an old farmhouse to secretly make an adult film.  But
>> the old folks who rent them the farm turn out to be psycho murderers.
>>
>> I was actually confused when this movie started and saw a young Mia
>> Goth as one of the young leads.  Mia Goth played the younger version
>> of the old psycho woman in "Pearl" but then I realized that Mia played
>> a dual role in this movie as both the young would be starlet and the
>> old psycho woman.  I really don't know *why* they structured the movie
>> like that, the similarities in appearance is referenced, but since she
>> played the old woman in "X" it was easy enough to take off the old age
>> make up and play the younger version of the character in the prequel.
>> Considering the prequel came out the same year I wonder if that was
>> perhaps always the intent.
>
> I believe it is - I think it's apparently a planned trilogy. The third
> movie is supposed to be Mia Goth's porn star character in the 1980s in
> the porn industry, and I think she's willing to do *anything* to become
> a star! (I'm guessing she'll follow Pearl's lead and start killing people!)
>
> I really wanted to like "X" better. Parts of it were interesting, and
> Mia Goth is lovely nekkid. But the horror elements came off as purely
> perfunctory (there was no... "spark", as it were), and I agree with you
> that the underlying story of this horny old lady causing all of these
> murders was kind of laughable.
>
> I haven't seen "Pearl" yet, but if it shows up on Showtime too, I'll
> certainly give it a watch.

Of the two movies I'd argue "Pearl" was technically better. There was
actual character development and you could see Pearl's transition from
almost sane to total psycho. With "X" she's already a psycho with no
explanation. I know psycho's don't need a reason why, but like you
said, it lacked a spark that "Pearl" at least had.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)

<tvvpde$3u48v$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180379&group=rec.arts.tv#180379

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 15:23:41 -0700

On 3/28/2023 2:10 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> [...]
>> the old folks who rent them the farm turn out to be psycho murderers.
>>
>> I was actually confused when this movie started and saw a young Mia
>> Goth as one of the young leads.  Mia Goth played the younger version
>> of the old psycho woman in "Pearl" but then I realized that Mia played
>> a dual role in this movie as both the young would be starlet and the
>> old psycho woman.  I really don't know *why* they structured the movie
>> like that, the similarities in appearance is referenced, but since she
>> played the old woman in "X" it was easy enough to take off the old age
>> make up and play the younger version of the character in the prequel.
>> Considering the prequel came out the same year I wonder if that was
>> perhaps always the intent.
>>
> There is a third movie in the franchise in development if not already in
> production, which would support the "always the intent" theory.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)

<u0166d$8ipc$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180420&group=rec.arts.tv#180420

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 04:30:42 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 09:30 UTC

nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com wrote:

> I didn't get in a lot but did watch the following:

You might want to watch RAT-U so you don't post duplicate threads.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-27 (Monday)

<u016am$8ipc$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180421&group=rec.arts.tv#180421

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 04:30:43 -0500

In article <tvusqe$3pd3n$1@dont-email.me>, IJBall@mac.invalid wrote:
> On 2023-03-28 10:38:15 +0000, shawn said:

>> In this one we have Kiefer Sutherland running a private company that
>> specializes in helping out other high finance companies through extra
>> legal means like arranging for bad news (whether real or faked) to
>> come out about their competition. In this episode we have the team
>> involved first in giving a high net worth individual some bad stock
>> information that he then acts on leading to a huge loss for him and
>> his company which the team's client takes advantage of. Supposedly
>> this high net worth individual is also worthy of fleecing as Kiefer's
>> character (John Weir) likes to take from people who he considers
>> worthy of fleecing. Consider him a sort of Robin Hood who takes from
>> the unworthy rich to give to his team and their clients.
>
> This actually sounds sort of like "Leverage"...

It reminded me of ShadowRun.

--
Let's go Brandon!