Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 13:02:30 -0700
From: pluted...@outlook.com (Pluted Pup)
Subject: Topper (1953-55) episodes on youtube
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
 by: Pluted Pup - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 20:02 UTC

There's some Topper (1953-1955) episodes on youtube. I recently
rewatched the 11 episodes on DVD, and youtube has a few extra
non-DVD episodes, such as the first episode and I can't tell how
many others, but far less than the 78 episodes made. And I'm
missing the episode where the ghosts counterfeit money. On the
dvds I remember plugs for Jello. On youtube there's a plug for
camel cigarrettes.

Ten of the 11 DVD episodes are in the regulation 25 minutes but
none are in good quality and those episodes are even worse on
youtube, and some have stretched the original picture to
widescreen.

Two versions of the first episode, this one is relatively clear,
except that it has a timer and a "not for broadcast" logo on it,
at the regulation 25 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRXVnYu2HOA

This other one is the post-regulation 22 minutes, fuzzier and
darker but without the unwanted logos and timer:

https://youtu.be/NhW0Lk6GT9A

Regulation refers to the time before the mid-1980s when federal
law prohibited more than 5 minutes of commercials during a half
hour. Since then, generally reruns of pre-1980s material has
several minutes of cuts per half hour.

Well, considering that no TV channels are showing Topper in any
form, the original films should be made into blu-ray or dvds so
we can actually see them, complete, 78 episodes, without being
stuck with just a few handfuls of apparently dupey VHS sourced
episodes that we have on public domain dvds and youtube.