What is food to one, is to others bitter poison. -- Titus Lucretius Carus

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracy

SubjectAuthor
* Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracyanim8rfsk
`* Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracymoviePig
 `* Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracyshawn
  +- Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracyanim8rfsk
  +* Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracyDavid Johnston
> [...]
  |  |    |      |`* Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracyBTR1701
  |  |    |      | +- Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracyshawn
  |  |    |      | `- Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracytrotsky
  |  |    |      `- Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracytrotsky
  |  |    `* Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracyAdam H. Kerman
  |  |     `* Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracyThe Horny Goat
  |  |      `* Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracyMicky DuPree
  |  |       `- Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracyThe Horny Goat
  |  `- Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracymarika
  `- Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracymarika

Pages:12
Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracy

<tvts37$3jtth$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180273&group=rec.arts.tv#180273

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracy
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 04:57:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 04:57 UTC

Micky DuPree <MDuPree@theworld.com.snip.to.reply> wrote:
>The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 14 Mar 2023 03:18:43 +0000 (UTC),
>> MDuPree@theworld.com.snip.to.reply (Micky DuPree) wrote:

>>> Generally understood in the modern day to be mentally competent adult
>>> citizens who have not forfeited the franchise in the commission of a
>>> felony. Minors are not included for the same reason we have an age
>>> of consent. Citizens are owed some rights, and owe the social
>>> contract some responsibilities in return. The franchise is both.
>>>
>>> It is possible to expand the franchise to resident aliens and the
>>> like, but I don't think it's a great idea.
>>>
>>> I've heard good pragmatic anecdotes for reestablishing the franchise
>>> for the incarcerated, not because they deserve it so much as it seems
>>> to reinvest prisoners in the democratic process and keep recidivism
>>> down when they get out. If there were studies to back it up, I'd
>>> reluctantly vote in favor of such a measure.
>>
>> You're totally missing my point. My point is that in this fragmented
>> era we no longer have a universally accepted definitition of what a
>> universal franchise is.
>
>My definition may be about 25 years out of date, but that was the
>understanding as I was growing up, and then into adulthood.
>
><snip>
>

>> My point is that we as a society should have close to 100% approval of
>> what is right and wrong about our elections and how they should be
>> administered.
>
>I gave my answer. We've never had 100% agreement, but we did used to
>have a consensus, with the voting age lowered in the Vietnam War era so
>that those who were drafted could have a say. There are some who only
>see election laws as a means to leverage power for those already in
>power. Some can vote against this (e.g., independent commissions for
>redistricting, which happened in California and Virginia). But unless
>the Supreme Court ever decides to see a civil rights violation in
>gerrymandering (not in Clarence Thomas' lifetime), it's not like one
>state can force another state to stop doing it.

This is largely the fault of the Voting Rights Act, which all but
mandates single-member districts. The result was black supermajority
districts and, in the south, white districts that could only elect
Republicans. If you don't want to elect Mary Miller or Majorie Taylor
Greene, then favor multi-member districts which would allow "minorities"
to define themselves as they wish.

>But given that the term 'gerrymander' dates back to 1812, and Jim Crow
>was legally struck down decades ago, it's obvious that there was never a
>time when when we had 100% approval of what is right and wrong about our
>elections. We did have something akin to a majority consensus for a
>while in the U.S., but there are some parts of electoral politics today
>that have echoes of antebellum sentiments.
>
>-Micky

Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracy

<adl72ihac1j0diq7u71l9sbt017geetfj6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180393&group=rec.arts.tv#180393

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 23:13:11 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 06:13 UTC

On Tue, 28 Mar 2023 04:17:16 +0000 (UTC),
MDuPree@theworld.com.snip.to.reply (Micky DuPree) wrote:

>> One thing they've done in our area which I think is interesting is
>> registering kids in grades 11 and 12 to vote. They don't actually GET
>> to vote till they reach 18 federally, 19 provincially but the thinking
>> is that if they hand out the voter registration cards shortly before
>> graduation they have an easier time getting them registered than
>> subsequently after graduation when they're all going their separate
>> ways.
>
>I think that's a great idea. My suspicion is that it wouldn't go over
>well in a lot of states here, though.

Perhaps that's a function of the differing ages of majority between
the US + Canada. As stated, for us it's 18 federally and 19
provincially and I've already related the sad story of how I lost my
dual Canada-US citizenship by voting before age 21 in a Canadian
election.

(My folks didn't even think of that as possibly problematic - my
maternal grandfather had been a federal candidate twice by then and so
you can easily see why the grandson of such a man would definitely
register to vote as soon as he reached the voting age even if he
wasn't of voting age in the other jurisdiction - e.g. the US)

And no question with 21 as the voting age, that's nothing they can't
do equally well in college. (Which is a term which also means
different things on either side of the border since the Canadian
college is typically what you would call a junior college - e.g.
typically 2 years - vs a university such as your typical state
university)

>> (Mind you on the Canadian income tax form there is a check box where
>> checking it authorizes the tax authorities to give your personal info
>> to the voter registration people - this can sometimes cause problems
>> when underage people and non-citizens check the box. But then
>> immigrants to Canada get a special social insurance number - the US
>> SSID - which indicates their status and is reissued if and when they
>> become citizens)
>
>In these computerized days I would have thought that the date of birth
>of an underage tax filer would cause their form to automatically be
>kicked out of consideration by the electoral authorities.

"These computerized days" has been since the early 1990s if not
further back if we're talking about the tax authorities though in the
last 15 years most people file electronically.

Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracy

<rol72i9e7c2bgpha3ig3gl9mbvmi660qrc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180394&group=rec.arts.tv#180394

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 23:17:29 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 06:17 UTC

On Tue, 28 Mar 2023 04:57:11 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>This is largely the fault of the Voting Rights Act, which all but
>mandates single-member districts. The result was black supermajority
>districts and, in the south, white districts that could only elect
>Republicans. If you don't want to elect Mary Miller or Majorie Taylor
>Greene, then favor multi-member districts which would allow "minorities"
>to define themselves as they wish.

Many Canadian provinces used to have multi-member districts in the big
city though never out in the boonies. However I don't know of any that
weren't phased out post-2000. (I went to school with a kid back in the
early 70s whose father was an elected member in a 2 seat district)

The Canadian federal parliament as far as I know has always been
single member constituencies going back to the very beginning.

I've read some stuff by Marjorie Taylor Greene during the past week
and all I can say is that I'm glad she's one of yours rather than one
of ours though we have some politicians equally "gifted".

Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracy

<u00qua$6i4k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180401&group=rec.arts.tv#180401

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 07:55:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 07:55 UTC

The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
>Tue, 28 Mar 2023 04:57:11 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>:

>>This is largely the fault of the Voting Rights Act, which all but
>>mandates single-member districts. The result was black supermajority
>>districts and, in the south, white districts that could only elect
>>Republicans. If you don't want to elect Mary Miller or Majorie Taylor
>>Greene, then favor multi-member districts which would allow "minorities"
>>to define themselves as they wish.

>Many Canadian provinces used to have multi-member districts in the big
>city though never out in the boonies. However I don't know of any that
>weren't phased out post-2000. (I went to school with a kid back in the
>early 70s whose father was an elected member in a 2 seat district)

>The Canadian federal parliament as far as I know has always been
>single member constituencies going back to the very beginning.

>I've read some stuff by Marjorie Taylor Greene during the past week
>and all I can say is that I'm glad she's one of yours rather than one
>of ours though we have some politicians equally "gifted".

She's in another state. Mary Miller is the one in my state, a gift of
Democratic Party gerrymandering, putting all insane Republicans in one
district.

Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracy

<40u72i92drmfn5f2k82529pum49gufu1gl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180402&group=rec.arts.tv#180402

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 04:38:09 -0400
 by: shawn - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 08:38 UTC

On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 07:55:54 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
>>Tue, 28 Mar 2023 04:57:11 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>:
>
>>>This is largely the fault of the Voting Rights Act, which all but
>>>mandates single-member districts. The result was black supermajority
>>>districts and, in the south, white districts that could only elect
>>>Republicans. If you don't want to elect Mary Miller or Majorie Taylor
>>>Greene, then favor multi-member districts which would allow "minorities"
>>>to define themselves as they wish.
>
>>Many Canadian provinces used to have multi-member districts in the big
>>city though never out in the boonies. However I don't know of any that
>>weren't phased out post-2000. (I went to school with a kid back in the
>>early 70s whose father was an elected member in a 2 seat district)
>
>>The Canadian federal parliament as far as I know has always been
>>single member constituencies going back to the very beginning.
>
>>I've read some stuff by Marjorie Taylor Greene during the past week
>>and all I can say is that I'm glad she's one of yours rather than one
>>of ours though we have some politicians equally "gifted".
>
>She's in another state. Mary Miller is the one in my state, a gift of
>Democratic Party gerrymandering, putting all insane Republicans in one
>district.

Sadly she's from my state and from a district that's less than 100
miles away. There's video of her and a number of other Representatives
deciding to interrupt one of the ATF's random inspections all because
an inspection suddenly means they are trying to confiscate all guns
(they aren't.) The ATF guy was amazingly patient with her but I guess
that is his job so that they guys charged with the actual inspection
can do theirs. It's just one of many times where I question how what
she does is supposed to actually be representing the people that voted
for her versus grandstanding for publicity's sake.

Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracy

<u01kph$2o0h0$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180439&group=rec.arts.tv#180439

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 08:17:05 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 15:17 UTC

On 3/29/2023 1:38 AM, shawn wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 07:55:54 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>> The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

>>> Many Canadian provinces used to have multi-member districts in the big
>>> city though never out in the boonies. However I don't know of any that
>>> weren't phased out post-2000. (I went to school with a kid back in the
>>> early 70s whose father was an elected member in a 2 seat district)
>>
>>> The Canadian federal parliament as far as I know has always been
>>> single member constituencies going back to the very beginning.
>>
>>> I've read some stuff by Marjorie Taylor Greene during the past week
>>> and all I can say is that I'm glad she's one of yours rather than one
>>> of ours though we have some politicians equally "gifted".
>>
>> She's in another state. Mary Miller is the one in my state, a gift of
>> Democratic Party gerrymandering, putting all insane Republicans in one
>> district.
>
> Sadly she's from my state and from a district that's less than 100
> miles away. There's video of her and a number of other Representatives
> deciding to interrupt one of the ATF's random inspections all because
> an inspection suddenly means they are trying to confiscate all guns
> (they aren't.) The ATF guy was amazingly patient with her but I guess
> that is his job so that they guys charged with the actual inspection
> can do theirs. It's just one of many times where I question how what
> she does is supposed to actually be representing the people that voted
> for her versus grandstanding for publicity's sake.

It seems like most Repub legislators have no intention of representing
what their constiuents want, but just want to pursue right wing agendas.

Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracy

<atropos-E7AC4A.09495329032023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180445&group=rec.arts.tv#180445

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 09:49:53 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 16:49 UTC

In article <40u72i92drmfn5f2k82529pum49gufu1gl@4ax.com>,

> On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 07:55:54 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
> >The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

> >>Many Canadian provinces used to have multi-member districts in the big
> >>city though never out in the boonies. However I don't know of any that
> >>weren't phased out post-2000. (I went to school with a kid back in the
> >>early 70s whose father was an elected member in a 2 seat district)
> >
> >>The Canadian federal parliament as far as I know has always been
> >>single member constituencies going back to the very beginning.
> >
> >>I've read some stuff by Marjorie Taylor Greene during the past week
> >>and all I can say is that I'm glad she's one of yours rather than one
> >>of ours though we have some politicians equally "gifted".
> >
> >She's in another state. Mary Miller is the one in my state, a gift of
> >Democratic Party gerrymandering, putting all insane Republicans in one
> >district.
>
> Sadly she's from my state and from a district that's less than 100
> miles away. There's video of her and a number of other Representatives
> deciding to interrupt one of the ATF's random inspections all because
> an inspection suddenly means they are trying to confiscate all guns
> (they aren't.) The ATF guy was amazingly patient with her but I guess
> that is his job so that they guys charged with the actual inspection
> can do theirs. It's just one of many times where I question how what
> she does is supposed to actually be representing the people that voted
> for her versus grandstanding for publicity's sake.

No different than Occasional-Cortex going down to the border and crying
to empty parking lots and hectoring Border Patrol officers doing their
job. (But notice she only cried to empty parking lots when Trump is
president. Has she staged one of her fake crying jags during the Biden
reign? I'll give you one guess.)

At the end of the day, politicians of every flavor do this sort of
performance theater for the cameras to sate their base.

Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracy

<atropos-F4F383.09504429032023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180446&group=rec.arts.tv#180446

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 09:50:44 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 16:50 UTC

In article <u01kph$2o0h0$1@solani.org>, suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com>
wrote:

> On 3/29/2023 1:38 AM, shawn wrote:
> > On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 07:55:54 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
> > <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> >> She's in another state. Mary Miller is the one in my state, a gift of
> >> Democratic Party gerrymandering, putting all insane Republicans in one
> >> district.
> >
> > Sadly she's from my state and from a district that's less than 100
> > miles away. There's video of her and a number of other Representatives
> > deciding to interrupt one of the ATF's random inspections all because
> > an inspection suddenly means they are trying to confiscate all guns
> > (they aren't.) The ATF guy was amazingly patient with her but I guess
> > that is his job so that they guys charged with the actual inspection
> > can do theirs. It's just one of many times where I question how what
> > she does is supposed to actually be representing the people that voted
> > for her versus grandstanding for publicity's sake.
> >
> It seems like most Repub legislators have no intention of representing
> what their constiuents want, but just want to pursue right wing agendas.

What if their constituents want right-wing agendas? Almost as much of
the country voted for Trump as voted for Biden, after all.

Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracy

<45t82ihamm3rle3c4lf0kc9ot0psdvbkri@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180449&group=rec.arts.tv#180449

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 13:30:40 -0400
 by: shawn - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 17:30 UTC

On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 09:49:53 -0700, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>In article <40u72i92drmfn5f2k82529pum49gufu1gl@4ax.com>,
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 07:55:54 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
>> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>> >She's in another state. Mary Miller is the one in my state, a gift of
>> >Democratic Party gerrymandering, putting all insane Republicans in one
>> >district.
>>
>> Sadly she's from my state and from a district that's less than 100
>> miles away. There's video of her and a number of other Representatives
>> deciding to interrupt one of the ATF's random inspections all because
>> an inspection suddenly means they are trying to confiscate all guns
>> (they aren't.) The ATF guy was amazingly patient with her but I guess
>> that is his job so that they guys charged with the actual inspection
>> can do theirs. It's just one of many times where I question how what
>> she does is supposed to actually be representing the people that voted
>> for her versus grandstanding for publicity's sake.
>
>No different than Occasional-Cortex going down to the border and crying
>to empty parking lots and hectoring Border Patrol officers doing their
>job. (But notice she only cried to empty parking lots when Trump is
>president. Has she staged one of her fake crying jags during the Biden
>reign? I'll give you one guess.)

You may be right about AOC but I don't follow her every move as she
doesn't represent my state. MTG, on other hand, I hear about all the
time because she represents a district just one over from mine so is
of more interest to me. Plus her complaining about routine random
inspections of a gun dealer right after another mass shooting seems a
bit out of step. It would be different if ATF were trying to shut down
the gun dealer instead of just doing their normal sort of inspection.

>At the end of the day, politicians of every flavor do this sort of
>performance theater for the cameras to sate their base.

Sure, but as I said above AOC doesn't represent the voters of Georgia,
while MTG does. As a resident of Georgia that makes what MTG says and
does of more interest to me. Much like you care much more about
Newsome is doing than I do.

Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracy

<atropos-067D42.11022129032023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180453&group=rec.arts.tv#180453

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 11:02:21 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 18:02 UTC

In article <45t82ihamm3rle3c4lf0kc9ot0psdvbkri@4ax.com>,

> On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 09:49:53 -0700, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <40u72i92drmfn5f2k82529pum49gufu1gl@4ax.com>,
> > shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

> >> Sadly she's from my state and from a district that's less than 100
> >> miles away. There's video of her and a number of other Representatives
> >> deciding to interrupt one of the ATF's random inspections all because
> >> an inspection suddenly means they are trying to confiscate all guns
> >> (they aren't.) The ATF guy was amazingly patient with her but I guess
> >> that is his job so that they guys charged with the actual inspection
> >> can do theirs. It's just one of many times where I question how what
> >> she does is supposed to actually be representing the people that voted
> >> for her versus grandstanding for publicity's sake.
> >
> >No different than Occasional-Cortex going down to the border and crying
> >to empty parking lots and hectoring Border Patrol officers doing their
> >job. (But notice she only cried to empty parking lots when Trump is
> >president. Has she staged one of her fake crying jags during the Biden
> >reign? I'll give you one guess.)
>
> You may be right about AOC but I don't follow her every move as she
> doesn't represent my state. MTG, on other hand, I hear about all the
> time because she represents a district just one over from mine so is
> of more interest to me. Plus her complaining about routine random
> inspections of a gun dealer right after another mass shooting seems a
> bit out of step. It would be different if ATF were trying to shut down
> the gun dealer instead of just doing their normal sort of inspection.
>
> >At the end of the day, politicians of every flavor do this sort of
> >performance theater for the cameras to sate their base.
>
> Sure, but as I said above AOC doesn't represent the voters of Georgia,
> while MTG does.

The fact that she's a congresswoman from Georgia doesn't mean she
represents the voters of Georgia. She represents only those Georgia
voters in her district.

Just as race-baiting Congresswoman Maxine Waters doesn't represent all
voters in California. She only represents the California voters who
reside in her South Central L.A. district. Go 700 miles up to Northern
California around Redding and Shasta and ask them if Maxine Waters
represents them and I'll give you one guess what their answer will be.

> As a resident of Georgia that makes what MTG says and
> does of more interest to me. Much like you care much more about
> Newsome is doing than I do.

The difference is that a governor is governor of everyone in the state.
A member of the House only reps his/her district, no one else.

Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracy

<ppv82i9qu0npdc3ndt8qj0uib7cn32nm4m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180454&group=rec.arts.tv#180454

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 14:13:11 -0400
 by: shawn - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 18:13 UTC

On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 11:02:21 -0700, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>In article <45t82ihamm3rle3c4lf0kc9ot0psdvbkri@4ax.com>,
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 09:49:53 -0700, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>> >No different than Occasional-Cortex going down to the border and crying
>> >to empty parking lots and hectoring Border Patrol officers doing their
>> >job. (But notice she only cried to empty parking lots when Trump is
>> >president. Has she staged one of her fake crying jags during the Biden
>> >reign? I'll give you one guess.)
>>
>> You may be right about AOC but I don't follow her every move as she
>> doesn't represent my state. MTG, on other hand, I hear about all the
>> time because she represents a district just one over from mine so is
>> of more interest to me. Plus her complaining about routine random
>> inspections of a gun dealer right after another mass shooting seems a
>> bit out of step. It would be different if ATF were trying to shut down
>> the gun dealer instead of just doing their normal sort of inspection.
>>
>> >At the end of the day, politicians of every flavor do this sort of
>> >performance theater for the cameras to sate their base.
>>
>> Sure, but as I said above AOC doesn't represent the voters of Georgia,
>> while MTG does.
>
>The fact that she's a congresswoman from Georgia doesn't mean she
>represents the voters of Georgia. She represents only those Georgia
>voters in her district.

You and I know that but apparently quite a few in the nation don't get
the distinction. When they hear she's from Georgia that's all that
matters to them so when she goes off the rails it paints all of us
Georgians in a bad light, much like I see people assuming that all
NY'ers are the same as AOC when that's clearly not the case. Not even
in the NYC area.

>Just as race-baiting Congresswoman Maxine Waters doesn't represent all
>voters in California. She only represents the California voters who
>reside in her South Central L.A. district. Go 700 miles up to Northern
>California around Redding and Shasta and ask them if Maxine Waters
>represents them and I'll give you one guess what their answer will be.
>
>> As a resident of Georgia that makes what MTG says and
>> does of more interest to me. Much like you care much more about
>> Newsome is doing than I do.
>
>The difference is that a governor is governor of everyone in the state.
>A member of the House only reps his/her district, no one else.

Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracy

<u01vf3$d7lr$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180456&group=rec.arts.tv#180456

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 18:19:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 18:19 UTC

suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:

>>. . .

>It seems like most Repub legislators have no intention of representing
>what their constiuents want, but just want to pursue right wing agendas.

I certainly don't agree. Districts are drawn in order to elect such people.

Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracy

<u020v2$2o7a7$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180459&group=rec.arts.tv#180459

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 11:44:50 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 18:44 UTC

On 3/29/2023 11:19 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:
>
>>> . . .
>
>> It seems like most Repub legislators have no intention of representing
>> what their constiuents want, but just want to pursue right wing agendas.
>
> I certainly don't agree. Districts are drawn in order to elect such people.

Sometimes.

Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracy

<nj592its8s3cph7e2g210r2v9o1ithr8td@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180461&group=rec.arts.tv#180461

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 12:50:33 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 19:50 UTC

On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 09:50:44 -0700, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>In article <u01kph$2o0h0$1@solani.org>, suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com>
>wrote:
>
>> It seems like most Repub legislators have no intention of representing
>> what their constiuents want, but just want to pursue right wing agendas.
>
>What if their constituents want right-wing agendas? Almost as much of
>the country voted for Trump as voted for Biden, after all.

Presumably we'll find out in about 18 months.

Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracy

<1S2VL.213544$OD18.12524@fx08.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180480&group=rec.arts.tv#180480

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 17:21:48 -0500
 by: trotsky - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 22:21 UTC

On 3/29/23 1:02 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <45t82ihamm3rle3c4lf0kc9ot0psdvbkri@4ax.com>,
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 09:49:53 -0700, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> No different than Occasional-Cortex going down to the border and crying
>>> to empty parking lots and hectoring Border Patrol officers doing their
>>> job. (But notice she only cried to empty parking lots when Trump is
>>> president. Has she staged one of her fake crying jags during the Biden
>>> reign? I'll give you one guess.)
>>
>> You may be right about AOC but I don't follow her every move as she
>> doesn't represent my state. MTG, on other hand, I hear about all the
>> time because she represents a district just one over from mine so is
>> of more interest to me. Plus her complaining about routine random
>> inspections of a gun dealer right after another mass shooting seems a
>> bit out of step. It would be different if ATF were trying to shut down
>> the gun dealer instead of just doing their normal sort of inspection.
>>
>>> At the end of the day, politicians of every flavor do this sort of
>>> performance theater for the cameras to sate their base.
>>
>> Sure, but as I said above AOC doesn't represent the voters of Georgia,
>> while MTG does.
>
> The fact that she's a congresswoman from Georgia doesn't mean she
> represents the voters of Georgia. She represents only those Georgia
> voters in her district.
>
> Just as race-baiting Congresswoman Maxine Waters doesn't represent all
> voters in California. She only represents the California voters who
> reside in her South Central L.A. district. Go 700 miles up to Northern
> California around Redding and Shasta and ask them if Maxine Waters
> represents them and I'll give you one guess what their answer will be.

That's so weird! That's not how you and other right wing assholes treat
AOC and other "squad" members. How's the Hypocrites R Us project comin'
along?

>> As a resident of Georgia that makes what MTG says and
>> does of more interest to me. Much like you care much more about
>> Newsome is doing than I do.
>
> The difference is that a governor is governor of everyone in the state.
> A member of the House only reps his/her district, no one else.

Re: 6% of Americans (leftists, all) believe China is a democracy

<HU2VL.213545$OD18.2901@fx08.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180481&group=rec.arts.tv#180481

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 17:24:38 -0500
 by: trotsky - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 22:24 UTC

On 3/29/23 11:49 AM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <40u72i92drmfn5f2k82529pum49gufu1gl@4ax.com>,
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 07:55:54 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
>> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>> She's in another state. Mary Miller is the one in my state, a gift of
>>> Democratic Party gerrymandering, putting all insane Republicans in one
>>> district.
>>
>> Sadly she's from my state and from a district that's less than 100
>> miles away. There's video of her and a number of other Representatives
>> deciding to interrupt one of the ATF's random inspections all because
>> an inspection suddenly means they are trying to confiscate all guns
>> (they aren't.) The ATF guy was amazingly patient with her but I guess
>> that is his job so that they guys charged with the actual inspection
>> can do theirs. It's just one of many times where I question how what
>> she does is supposed to actually be representing the people that voted
>> for her versus grandstanding for publicity's sake.
>
> No different than Occasional-Cortex

No different for right wing assholes you mean.