Reporter: "How did you like school when you were growing up, Yogi?" Yogi Berra: "Closed."

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)Ubiquitous
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)Ian J. Ball
 +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)Ian J. Ball
 +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)anim8rfsk
 |+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)Dimensional Traveler
 |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)Ian J. Ball
 +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)Dimensional Traveler
 |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)Ian J. Ball
 | `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)anim8rfsk
 |  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)Dimensional Traveler
 +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)Arthur Lipscomb
 |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)shawn
 | `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)Ian J. Ball
 `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)shawn

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)

<UBI20230329@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180522&group=rec.arts.tv#180522

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 04:30:40 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 09:30 UTC

On gaming night, I watched:

Nothing.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)

<u04fts$v84d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180551&group=rec.arts.tv#180551

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 10:12:29 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 17:12 UTC

On 2023-03-30 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

This was the first half-day of my one-and-a-half day break/holiday!!

So I did nothing, not even the simple grading I should have done! In
the afternoon, I listened to music. I also sort of did that later too!
(see below!...)

Then I watched:

soaps: GH - Mon's ep. I just knew as soon as Cam showed up to confront
Esme that he was going to end up bringing her to his going away party!
Marshall has a "chat" with Spencer. The Vice-Mayor is going to get
herself killed trying to get the evidence on Victor, who is outraghed
that his code "descrypting" seems to have failed.

Gotham Knights (recorded) - "Under Pressure" (ep. #3). I didn't hate
this ep. like Anim did, but I'm not sure it was good either...
They pretty much dispense with the Court of Owls for an epie, after
Robin takes down the head of the Mutant Gang. This involved them
devolving on Robin, with her fighting a guy twice her size, by herself
- yeah, he throws her around quite a bit, but she shouldn't have even
been to hold a fight with him in the first place. Robin lets the Gotham
Police (GCPD) take the credit.
Of course, the Mutant Gang retaliates... by attacking the Founders
Day Ball. Of course, Harvey is there, but so is Stephanie, with Brody,
and his d*ck of a father (Damon Dayoub), and mom (Lauren Stamile) who
apparently had something going on with Harvey. And the current mayor...
Somehow, Stephanie manages to avoid detection - it's never really
explained how. (This episode is kind of back to implying that there
could be something dodgy about Stephanie - I wish they'd just make up
their minds on this...)
In a subplot, Harper is sent into GCPD HQ to try to retrieve the
police report on a Wayne ancestor's murder. Harper, wearing a
"disguise", gets trapped in HQ by the hostage crisis, and has to stay
in GCPD but avoid detection. (This storyline is dumb, garnering only
maybe a minor smirk in one or two scenes...)
Turner (and Carrie/Robin) insist that they go into save the Founders
Ball hostages. Harper shrugs, and Duela agrees to tag along because it
means she'll get to beat up people.
They realize the Mutant Gang has planted a device that will gas all
of the hostages to death. Harper and Stephanie argue over how to
diffuse the gassing device. I was convinced that the bickering was
going to end with a scene of them making out, but they somehow resisted
the urge - instead, it seems like Harper really does despise Stephanie.
(Point in her favor.)
The YOUTS discover that some of the people at the Ball were Court of
Owls, from their watches. Quelle surprise. (I'll give you one guess as
to who the two watches belong to!...)
Harvey announced he is running for mayor after being the hero of the
hostage crisis (while the current mayor was a coward).
I don't even remember what the scenes from the next episode were -
it made no impression.

Then I watched foreign films while listening to music!!

We Are The Night (aka. Wir sind die Nacht) (Tubi) - 2010 (feminist?)
vampire flick out of Germany. However, Tubi's version is dubbed, and I
hate dubbing, so I muted it and read the CC while listening to music.
The film stars German actress Nina Hoss, who I guess I have seen in
other things, most recently "The Contractor" (honestly, I think I
barely remember her in that...). She looks *great* in this flick (at
35!?!), at least once she turns into a vampire instead of being a
scuzzy pickpocket!
Even more attractive is German actress Jennifer Ulrich, as the
broody (but possibly most deadly!) vampire Charlotte - unfortunately,
it looks like Ulrich has never strayed outside of German films.
This is one of those films like, say... "Stargate" - I liked the
concept, but the execution left a lot to be desired. IOW, this should
have been a better film than it was. I found the ending to be
particularly anticlimatic (it's like the ending to "X-Men Origins:
Wolverine"!! that's not good!!).
It also was unfortunately lacking in naked nudity, which would
almost seem to be the point of something like this!!
Anyway, a flick about an all-girl gang of sexy vampires has merit.
But I don't think this flick plumbed the concept very well.

Viking Wolf (Viking Wolf!!) (The Netflix) - Even though this 2023 flick
wasn't dubbed, I ended up watching most of it while listening to music
and reading the CC as well!
Starring tiny Elli Rhiannon Muller Osbourne from "Royalteen"!
I was also disappointed in this one.
They depart from werewolf mythology in this, with the express
purpose of making the film darker - I did not like that. Basically,
once the girl is bit, she's toast and I really didn't like that change.
Beyond that, most of the early parts of the flick were a monster
wolf chase, with dodgy EFX. IOW, it wasn't that interesting.
The Third Act of this gets incredibly dark - she kills like dozens
of townspeople! (Maybe hundreds!!) And of course her stupid mom is
incapable of doing the right thing! (And conveniently there was no one
else around to do it right...)
The ending probably hints at a sequel (one has not been annouced
yet), I guess - I hope they don't bother.
The movie makes a big point about the lead teen girl having
heterochromia iridium but it does not appear that lead actress Elli
Rhiannon Muller Osbourne actually has that.
I'm actually ticked that it looks like Elli Rhiannon Muller Osbourne
will be the lead of the "Royalteen" sequel, and not the lovelier Ines
Hoysaeter Asserson who was the lead in the first flick. :/

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)

<u04h5e$vf9o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180555&group=rec.arts.tv#180555

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 10:33:34 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 17:33 UTC

On 2023-03-30 17:12:29 +0000, Ian J. Ball said:

> On 2023-03-30 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> This was the first half-day of my one-and-a-half day break/holiday!!
>
> Then I watched:
>
> Gotham Knights (recorded) - "Under Pressure" (ep. #3). I didn't hate
> this ep. like Anim did, but I'm not sure it was good either...
> They pretty much dispense with the Court of Owls for an epie, after
> Robin takes down the head of the Mutant Gang. This involved them
> devolving on Robin, with her fighting a guy twice her size, by herself
> - yeah, he throws her around quite a bit, but she shouldn't have even
> been to hold a fight with him in the first place. Robin lets the Gotham
> Police (GCPD) take the credit.
> Of course, the Mutant Gang retaliates... by attacking the Founders
> Day Ball. Of course, Harvey is there, but so is Stephanie, with Brody,
> and his d*ck of a father (Damon Dayoub), and mom (Lauren Stamile) who
> apparently had something going on with Harvey. And the current mayor...
> Somehow, Stephanie manages to avoid detection - it's never really
> explained how. (This episode is kind of back to implying that there
> could be something dodgy about Stephanie - I wish they'd just make up
> their minds on this...)
> In a subplot, Harper

Sorry - Cullen, not Harper...

> is sent into GCPD HQ to try to retrieve the police report on a Wayne
> ancestor's murder. [Cullen], wearing a "disguise", gets trapped in HQ
> by the hostage crisis, and has to stay in GCPD but avoid detection.
> (This storyline is dumb, garnering only maybe a minor smirk in one or
> two scenes...)
> Turner (and Carrie/Robin) insist that they go into save the Founders
> Ball hostages. Harper shrugs, and Duela agrees to tag along because it
> means she'll get to beat up people.
> They realize the Mutant Gang has planted a device that will gas all
> of the hostages to death. Harper and Stephanie argue over how to
> diffuse the gassing device. I was convinced that the bickering was
> going to end with a scene of them making out, but they somehow resisted
> the urge - instead, it seems like Harper really does despise Stephanie.
> (Point in her favor.)
> The YOUTS discover that some of the people at the Ball were Court of
> Owls, from their watches. Quelle surprise. (I'll give you one guess as
> to who the two watches belong to!...)
> Harvey announced he is running for mayor after being the hero of the
> hostage crisis (while the current mayor was a coward).
> I don't even remember what the scenes from the next episode were -
> it made no impression.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)

<1495970756.701894631.647526.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180561&group=rec.arts.tv#180561

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 12:06:31 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 19:06 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-03-30 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> This was the first half-day of my one-and-a-half day break/holiday!!
>
> So I did nothing, not even the simple grading I should have done! In
> the afternoon, I listened to music. I also sort of did that later too!
> (see below!...)
>
> Then I watched:
>
> soaps: GH - Mon's ep. I just knew as soon as Cam showed up to confront
> Esme that he was going to end up bringing her to his going away party!
> Marshall has a "chat" with Spencer. The Vice-Mayor is going to get
> herself killed trying to get the evidence on Victor, who is outraghed
> that his code "descrypting" seems to have failed.
>
> Gotham Knights (recorded) - "Under Pressure" (ep. #3). I didn't hate
> this ep. like Anim did, but I'm not sure it was good either...
> They pretty much dispense with the Court of Owls for an epie, after
> Robin takes down the head of the Mutant Gang. This involved them
> devolving on Robin, with her fighting a guy twice her size, by herself
> - yeah, he throws her around quite a bit, but she shouldn't have even
> been to hold a fight with him in the first place. Robin lets the Gotham
> Police (GCPD) take the credit.
> Of course, the Mutant Gang retaliates... by attacking the Founders
> Day Ball. Of course, Harvey is there, but so is Stephanie, with Brody,
> and his d*ck of a father (Damon Dayoub), and mom (Lauren Stamile) who
> apparently had something going on with Harvey. And the current mayor...
> Somehow, Stephanie manages to avoid detection - it's never really
> explained how.

Detected by who for what? Stephanie is not on the run with the rest of
them. She was questioned and released and went back to high school.

(This episode is kind of back to implying that there
> could be something dodgy about Stephanie - I wish they'd just make up
> their minds on this...)
> In a subplot, Harper is sent into GCPD HQ to try to retrieve the
> police report on a Wayne ancestor's murder. Harper, wearing a
> "disguise", gets trapped in HQ by the hostage crisis, and has to stay
> in GCPD but avoid detection. (This storyline is dumb, garnering only
> maybe a minor smirk in one or two scenes...)

So a cop from another precinct is forced to join this precinct and sit in
on a briefing because there’s an emergency? How the hell does that make any
possible sense at all?

> Turner (and Carrie/Robin) insist that they go into save the Founders
> Ball hostages. Harper shrugs, and Duela agrees to tag along because it
> means she'll get to beat up people.

By the way, this was all done, much better, and maybe more than once on
GOTHAM.

> They realize the Mutant Gang has planted a device that will gas all
> of the hostages to death. Harper and Stephanie argue over how to
> diffuse the gassing device. I was convinced that the bickering was
> going to end with a scene of them making out, but they somehow resisted
> the urge - instead, it seems like Harper really does despise Stephanie.
> (Point in her favor.)
> The YOUTS discover that some of the people at the Ball were Court of
> Owls, from their watches. Quelle surprise. (I'll give you one guess as
> to who the two watches belong to!...)

So what mutants got rid of the bomb and how?

Also, were any of the mutants wearing their gas masks when they were trying
to set the bomb off? That seems to be a flaw in their plan.

> Harvey announced he is running for mayor after being the hero of the
> hostage crisis (while the current mayor was a coward).
> I don't even remember what the scenes from the next episode were -
> it made no impression.

“Think you can give me a crash course in lock picking?“

“Oh, look at you, (unintelligible, may be “criminal“)

“what the hell are you two doing in my fathers house?“

“Looking for answers“

“what do you know about the court of owls?“

Unintelligible reply.

“Give me one good reason I shouldn’t kill you right now“

Talon draws sword

> Then I watched foreign films while listening to music!!
>
> We Are The Night (aka. Wir sind die Nacht) (Tubi) - 2010 (feminist?)
> vampire flick out of Germany. However, Tubi's version is dubbed, and I
> hate dubbing, so I muted it and read the CC while listening to music.
> The film stars German actress Nina Hoss, who I guess I have seen in
> other things, most recently "The Contractor" (honestly, I think I
> barely remember her in that...). She looks *great* in this flick (at
> 35!?!), at least once she turns into a vampire instead of being a
> scuzzy pickpocket!
> Even more attractive is German actress Jennifer Ulrich, as the
> broody (but possibly most deadly!) vampire Charlotte - unfortunately,
> it looks like Ulrich has never strayed outside of German films.
> This is one of those films like, say... "Stargate" - I liked the
> concept, but the execution left a lot to be desired. IOW, this should
> have been a better film than it was. I found the ending to be
> particularly anticlimatic (it's like the ending to "X-Men Origins:
> Wolverine"!! that's not good!!).
> It also was unfortunately lacking in naked nudity, which would
> almost seem to be the point of something like this!!
> Anyway, a flick about an all-girl gang of sexy vampires has merit.
> But I don't think this flick plumbed the concept very well.

I was about to add this to my Tubi list, but your IMDb ratings give it a
mild in almost every category.

> Viking Wolf (Viking Wolf!!) (The Netflix) - Even though this 2023 flick
> wasn't dubbed, I ended up watching most of it while listening to music
> and reading the CC as well!
> Starring tiny Elli Rhiannon Muller Osbourne from "Royalteen"!
> I was also disappointed in this one.
> They depart from werewolf mythology in this, with the express
> purpose of making the film darker - I did not like that. Basically,
> once the girl is bit, she's toast and I really didn't like that change.
> Beyond that, most of the early parts of the flick were a monster
> wolf chase, with dodgy EFX. IOW, it wasn't that interesting.
> The Third Act of this gets incredibly dark - she kills like dozens
> of townspeople! (Maybe hundreds!!) And of course her stupid mom is
> incapable of doing the right thing! (And conveniently there was no one
> else around to do it right...)
> The ending probably hints at a sequel (one has not been annouced
> yet), I guess - I hope they don't bother.
> The movie makes a big point about the lead teen girl having
> heterochromia iridium but it does not appear that lead actress Elli
> Rhiannon Muller Osbourne actually has that.
> I'm actually ticked that it looks like Elli Rhiannon Muller Osbourne
> will be the lead of the "Royalteen" sequel, and not the lovelier Ines
> Hoysaeter Asserson who was the lead in the first flick. :/

I think this is one I bailed on about five minutes in.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)

<u04omb$10ovs$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180568&group=rec.arts.tv#180568

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 12:42:05 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 19:42 UTC

On 3/30/2023 10:12 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:

First, why doesn't Ian ever ask what anyone else watched?

Any rate, I watched...

Stargate: SG-1 *whaps Anim*

S1E14 'Singularity'
SG-1 *whaps Anim* goes to visit a planet where the SGC has established
an observatory to study a nearby black hole. They find everyone, locals
and SG-7 *whaps Anim* dead from a plague. Additional personnel are
brought in to investigate and after they are medically cleared SG-1
*whaps Anim* goes out to start tagging bodies. They find a young girl
still alive. Dr. Fraiser exams her and finds Naqahdah, the material the
Stargates are made from, in her blood. I believe this is the first time
the name "Naqahdah' is used in the series. The girl is determined to be
uninfected and as the entire area around the native's village, the
observatory and the Stargate is contaminated with the bacterium she and
everyone but Teal'c and O'Neill are evacuated back to Earth. O'Neill
and Teal'c (there's that apostrophe attraction again) stay to carry out
the observations of the black hole eclipse that was the original purpose
of their visit. Meanwhile the girl starts talking and says her name is
Cassandra. (Nothing ominous about that!) She also has some chest pain
and when examined by Dr. Fraiser starts showing all kinds of strange
test results. She also has "grown" something in her chest that wasn't
there before she came to Earth. Surgery to remove it fails as it
apparently stops her heart to prevent its removal, restarting it after
the surgical team pulls their probe out. From the samples they did get
of the object they soon realize it is an _extremely_ powerful bomb,
possibly planet-buster scale. Jack and Teal'c watch the black hole
eclipse, making the Colonel O'Neill excited. During their observations
they see their very first gou'ald pyramid ship hiding near the black
hole. Back at the SGC General Hammond is briefed on the findings about
the bomb. They have one hour and fifth-two minutes before Cmdr.
Ivanovich's "boom tomorrow" booms. Oops, sorry, wrong show. Back on
black hole planet Teal'c identifies the gou'ald ship as being from
Nirrti, an enemy of Apophis. (Why hasn't Teal'c bothered telling SGC
_any_ this kind of stuff before the fecal matter hits the rotary air
movement device?) SGC decides to send Cassandra back to her home planet
to go boom on. Nirrti's ship sends two gliders to shoot up O'Neill and
Teal'c as they run for the Stargate. Teal'c tells Jack about a ploy
Nirrti used to destroy a Stargate Apophis had taken (see previous
parenthetical comment) making Jack realize Cassandra is a problem. SGC
is dialing the gate to send Cassandra thru when she faints and goes into
a coma. Jack and Teal'c reach the gate and dial first, interrupting
SGC's dialing, and dash thru. "Get the girl away from the gate!" It is
decided to put the girl in an abandoned nuclear storage facility to go
boom in. Cassandra wakes up as Carter is carrying her down in the
elevator. Carter lies to a little girl about coming back for her.
Partway back up she stops the elevator and goes back down to go boom
with Cassandra.

Where's the boom?

Our Heroes realize that it was proximity to the Stargate that was
causing the bomb to form and would trigger it. (Sounds like typical
shoddy gou'ald design defect to me.) As Cassandra spends time away from
the Stargate the bomb slowly dissolves away, letting her become a happy,
well, maybe not normal, Earth kid. With a dog, courtesy of Col.
O'Neill. And everyone lives happily ever after. Until the next episode.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)

<u04opj$10ovs$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180570&group=rec.arts.tv#180570

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 12:43:49 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 19:43 UTC

On 3/30/2023 12:06 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2023-03-30 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> This was the first half-day of my one-and-a-half day break/holiday!!
>>
>> So I did nothing, not even the simple grading I should have done! In
>> the afternoon, I listened to music. I also sort of did that later too!
>> (see below!...)
>>
>> Then I watched:
>>
>> soaps: GH - Mon's ep. I just knew as soon as Cam showed up to confront
>> Esme that he was going to end up bringing her to his going away party!
>> Marshall has a "chat" with Spencer. The Vice-Mayor is going to get
>> herself killed trying to get the evidence on Victor, who is outraghed
>> that his code "descrypting" seems to have failed.
>>
>> Gotham Knights (recorded) - "Under Pressure" (ep. #3). I didn't hate
>> this ep. like Anim did, but I'm not sure it was good either...
>> They pretty much dispense with the Court of Owls for an epie, after
>> Robin takes down the head of the Mutant Gang. This involved them
>> devolving on Robin, with her fighting a guy twice her size, by herself
>> - yeah, he throws her around quite a bit, but she shouldn't have even
>> been to hold a fight with him in the first place. Robin lets the Gotham
>> Police (GCPD) take the credit.
>> Of course, the Mutant Gang retaliates... by attacking the Founders
>> Day Ball. Of course, Harvey is there, but so is Stephanie, with Brody,
>> and his d*ck of a father (Damon Dayoub), and mom (Lauren Stamile) who
>> apparently had something going on with Harvey. And the current mayor...
>> Somehow, Stephanie manages to avoid detection - it's never really
>> explained how.
>
> Detected by who for what? Stephanie is not on the run with the rest of
> them. She was questioned and released and went back to high school.
>

> (This episode is kind of back to implying that there
>> could be something dodgy about Stephanie - I wish they'd just make up
>> their minds on this...)
>> In a subplot, Harper is sent into GCPD HQ to try to retrieve the
>> police report on a Wayne ancestor's murder. Harper, wearing a
>> "disguise", gets trapped in HQ by the hostage crisis, and has to stay
>> in GCPD but avoid detection. (This storyline is dumb, garnering only
>> maybe a minor smirk in one or two scenes...)
>
> So a cop from another precinct is forced to join this precinct and sit in
> on a briefing because there’s an emergency? How the hell does that make any
> possible sense at all?

Because... plot?

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)

<u04plb$112iu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180572&group=rec.arts.tv#180572

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 12:58:35 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 19:58 UTC

On 2023-03-30 19:06:31 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2023-03-30 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Then I watched:
>>
>> Gotham Knights (recorded) - "Under Pressure" (ep. #3). I didn't hate
>> this ep. like Anim did, but I'm not sure it was good either...
>> They pretty much dispense with the Court of Owls for an epie, after
>> Robin takes down the head of the Mutant Gang. This involved them
>> devolving on Robin, with her fighting a guy twice her size, by herself
>> - yeah, he throws her around quite a bit, but she shouldn't have even
>> been to hold a fight with him in the first place. Robin lets the Gotham
>> Police (GCPD) take the credit.
>> Of course, the Mutant Gang retaliates... by attacking the Founders
>> Day Ball. Of course, Harvey is there, but so is Stephanie, with Brody,
>> and his d*ck of a father (Damon Dayoub), and mom (Lauren Stamile) who
>> apparently had something going on with Harvey. And the current mayor...
>> Somehow, Stephanie manages to avoid detection - it's never really
>> explained how.
>
> Detected by who for what?

By the Mutant Gang goons!?!

> Stephanie is not on the run with the rest of
> them. She was questioned and released and went back to high school.
>
> > (This episode is kind of back to implying that there
>> could be something dodgy about Stephanie - I wish they'd just make up
>> their minds on this...)
>> In a subplot, [Cullen] is sent into GCPD HQ to try to retrieve the
>> police report on a Wayne ancestor's murder. [Cullen], wearing a
>> "disguise", gets trapped in HQ by the hostage crisis, and has to stay
>> in GCPD but avoid detection. (This storyline is dumb, garnering only
>> maybe a minor smirk in one or two scenes...)
>
> So a cop from another precinct is forced to join this precinct and sit in
> on a briefing because there’s an emergency? How the hell does that make any
> possible sense at all?
>
>> Turner (and Carrie/Robin) insist that they go into save the Founders
>> Ball hostages. Harper shrugs, and Duela agrees to tag along because it
>> means she'll get to beat up people.
>
> By the way, this was all done, much better, and maybe more than once on
> GOTHAM.
>
>> They realize the Mutant Gang has planted a device that will gas all
>> of the hostages to death. Harper and Stephanie argue over how to
>> diffuse the gassing device. I was convinced that the bickering was
>> going to end with a scene of them making out, but they somehow resisted
>> the urge - instead, it seems like Harper really does despise Stephanie.
>> (Point in her favor.)
>> The YOUTS discover that some of the people at the Ball were Court of
>> Owls, from their watches. Quelle surprise. (I'll give you one guess as
>> to who the two watches belong to!...)
>
> So what mutants got rid of the bomb and how?

It appears to have been the Owls - and I had forgotten that they used
it on the current mayor at the end.

> Also, were any of the mutants wearing their gas masks when they were trying
> to set the bomb off? That seems to be a flaw in their plan.

No. I fanwanked that by thinking they'd put them on immediately after
he flipped the switch, but it was kind of dumb.

>> Harvey announced he is running for mayor after being the hero of the
>> hostage crisis (while the current mayor was a coward).
>> I don't even remember what the scenes from the next episode were -
>> it made no impression.
>
> “Think you can give me a crash course in lock picking?“
>
> “Oh, look at you, (unintelligible, may be “criminal“)
>
> “what the hell are you two doing in my fathers house?“
>
> “Looking for answers“
>
> “what do you know about the court of owls?“
>
> Unintelligible reply.
>
> “Give me one good reason I shouldn’t kill you right now“
>
> Talon draws sword

Very forgettable, yeah.

>> Then I watched foreign films while listening to music!!
>>
>> We Are The Night (aka. Wir sind die Nacht) (Tubi) - 2010 (feminist?)
>> vampire flick out of Germany. However, Tubi's version is dubbed, and I
>> hate dubbing, so I muted it and read the CC while listening to music.
>> The film stars German actress Nina Hoss, who I guess I have seen in
>> other things, most recently "The Contractor" (honestly, I think I
>> barely remember her in that...). She looks *great* in this flick (at
>> 35!?!), at least once she turns into a vampire instead of being a
>> scuzzy pickpocket!
>> Even more attractive is German actress Jennifer Ulrich, as the
>> broody (but possibly most deadly!) vampire Charlotte - unfortunately,
>> it looks like Ulrich has never strayed outside of German films.
>> This is one of those films like, say... "Stargate" - I liked the
>> concept, but the execution left a lot to be desired. IOW, this should
>> have been a better film than it was. I found the ending to be
>> particularly anticlimatic (it's like the ending to "X-Men Origins:
>> Wolverine"!! that's not good!!).
>> It also was unfortunately lacking in naked nudity, which would
>> almost seem to be the point of something like this!!
>> Anyway, a flick about an all-girl gang of sexy vampires has merit.
>> But I don't think this flick plumbed the concept very well.
>
> I was about to add this to my Tubi list, but your IMDb ratings give it a
> mild in almost every category.

Like I said, it's OK. And parts of it look good.

But it should have been a lot better than it was IMO.

>> Viking Wolf (Viking Wolf!!) (The Netflix) - Even though this 2023 flick
>> wasn't dubbed, I ended up watching most of it while listening to music
>> and reading the CC as well!
>> Starring tiny Elli Rhiannon Muller Osbourne from "Royalteen"!
>> I was also disappointed in this one.
>> They depart from werewolf mythology in this, with the express
>> purpose of making the film darker - I did not like that. Basically,
>> once the girl is bit, she's toast and I really didn't like that change.
>> Beyond that, most of the early parts of the flick were a monster
>> wolf chase, with dodgy EFX. IOW, it wasn't that interesting.
>> The Third Act of this gets incredibly dark - she kills like dozens
>> of townspeople! (Maybe hundreds!!) And of course her stupid mom is
>> incapable of doing the right thing! (And conveniently there was no one
>> else around to do it right...)
>> The ending probably hints at a sequel (one has not been annouced
>> yet), I guess - I hope they don't bother.
>> The movie makes a big point about the lead teen girl having
>> heterochromia iridium but it does not appear that lead actress Elli
>> Rhiannon Muller Osbourne actually has that.
>> I'm actually ticked that it looks like Elli Rhiannon Muller Osbourne
>> will be the lead of the "Royalteen" sequel, and not the lovelier Ines
>> Hoysaeter Asserson who was the lead in the first flick. :/
>
> I think this is one I bailed on about five minutes in.

There is absolutely no need for you to go back and finish it.

Frankly, I enjoyed "Royalteen" a heck of a lot more than this film!!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)

<u04pnk$112iu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180573&group=rec.arts.tv#180573

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 12:59:48 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 19:59 UTC

On 2023-03-30 19:42:05 +0000, Dimensional Traveler said:

> On 3/30/2023 10:12 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>
> First, why doesn't Ian ever ask what anyone else watched?

Because in Ubi's threads, he (usually) asks first, and I just followup
from his question...

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)

<u050a9$129jr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180586&group=rec.arts.tv#180586

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 12:58:33 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 19:58 UTC

On 3/30/2023 10:12 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2023-03-30 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> This was the first half-day of my one-and-a-half day break/holiday!!
>
> So I did nothing, not even the simple grading I should have done! In the
> afternoon, I listened to music. I also sort of did that later too! (see
> below!...)
>
> Then I watched:
>
> soaps: GH - Mon's ep. I just knew as soon as Cam showed up to confront
> Esme that he was going to end up bringing her to his going away party!
> Marshall has a "chat" with Spencer. The Vice-Mayor is going to get
> herself killed trying to get the evidence on Victor, who is outraghed
> that his code "descrypting" seems to have failed.
>
> Gotham Knights (recorded) - "Under Pressure" (ep. #3).
Still working on episode 2.

> We Are The Night (aka. Wir sind die Nacht) (Tubi) - 2010 (feminist?)
> vampire flick out of Germany. However, Tubi's version is dubbed, and I
> hate dubbing, so I muted it and read the CC while listening to music.
>   The film stars German actress Nina Hoss, who I guess I have seen in
> other things, most recently "The Contractor" (honestly, I think I barely
> remember her in that...). She looks *great* in this flick (at 35!?!), at
> least once she turns into a vampire instead of being a scuzzy pickpocket!
>   Even more attractive is German actress Jennifer Ulrich, as the broody
> (but possibly most deadly!) vampire Charlotte - unfortunately, it looks
> like Ulrich has never strayed outside of German films.
>   This is one of those films like, say... "Stargate" - I liked the
> concept, but the execution left a lot to be desired. IOW, this should
> have been a better film than it was. I found the ending to be
> particularly anticlimatic (it's like the ending to "X-Men Origins:
> Wolverine"!! that's not good!!).
>   It also was unfortunately lacking in naked nudity, which would almost
> seem to be the point of something like this!!
>   Anyway, a flick about an all-girl gang of sexy vampires has merit.
> But I don't think this flick plumbed the concept very well.

Xfinity says I can watch it in HD. I might give it a look. I prefer
dubbed.

> Viking Wolf (Viking Wolf!!) (The Netflix) - Even though this 2023 flick
> wasn't dubbed, I ended up watching most of it while listening to music
> and reading the CC as well!
>   Starring tiny Elli Rhiannon Muller Osbourne from "Royalteen"!
>   I was also disappointed in this one.
>   They depart from werewolf mythology in this, with the express purpose
> of making the film darker - I did not like that. Basically, once the
> girl is bit, she's toast and I really didn't like that change.
>   Beyond that, most of the early parts of the flick were a monster wolf
> chase, with dodgy EFX. IOW, it wasn't that interesting.
>   The Third Act of this gets incredibly dark - she kills like dozens of
> townspeople! (Maybe hundreds!!) And of course her stupid mom is
> incapable of doing the right thing! (And conveniently there was no one
> else around to do it right...)
>   The ending probably hints at a sequel (one has not been annouced
> yet), I guess - I hope they don't bother.
>   The movie makes a big point about the lead teen girl having
> heterochromia iridium but it does not appear that lead actress Elli
> Rhiannon Muller Osbourne  actually has that.
>   I'm actually ticked that it looks like Elli Rhiannon Muller Osbourne
> will be the lead of the "Royalteen" sequel, and not the lovelier Ines
> Hoysaeter Asserson who was the lead in the first flick.  :/

I watched:

The Mandalorian - "Chapter 21: The Pirate" - The Mandalorians battle
space pirates. Meanwhile Elia Kane (Katy O'Brian) continues to just
ooze evil in the background. How can anyone look at her and not
instantly know she's up to no good!

The Ark - "The Painful Way" - Trust disagrees with how the ship is being
run and decides to take matters into his own hands.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)

<h8ac2ideo17aiohj95val0skr9ljfur50t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180624&group=rec.arts.tv#180624

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 22:17:39 -0400
 by: shawn - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 02:17 UTC

On Thu, 30 Mar 2023 10:12:29 -0700, Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>On 2023-03-30 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
>This was the first half-day of my one-and-a-half day break/holiday!!
>
>So I did nothing, not even the simple grading I should have done! In
>the afternoon, I listened to music. I also sort of did that later too!
>(see below!...)
>
>Then I watched:
>

>Gotham Knights (recorded) - "Under Pressure" (ep. #3). I didn't hate
>this ep. like Anim did, but I'm not sure it was good either...

I didn't realize it but the mistakes start from the opening intro. We
see one of the bad cops holding on gun on the young Wayne. Then Robin
tosses a batarang at him so he drops the gun and the batarang is shown
piercing the middle of his hand. Now she tossed the 'rang from the
side as the gun so how did it both make him drop the gun and pierce
the center of his hand? Not possible using the physics of our
universe.

> They pretty much dispense with the Court of Owls for an epie, after
>Robin takes down the head of the Mutant Gang. This involved them
>devolving on Robin, with her fighting a guy twice her size, by herself
>- yeah, he throws her around quite a bit, but she shouldn't have even
>been to hold a fight with him in the first place. Robin lets the Gotham
>Police (GCPD) take the credit.

Yeah, that fight was not well thought out. Then there was the trick
she played with shocking the big guy without getting shocked herself.

> Of course, the Mutant Gang retaliates... by attacking the Founders
>Day Ball. Of course, Harvey is there, but so is Stephanie, with Brody,
>and his d*ck of a father (Damon Dayoub), and mom (Lauren Stamile) who
>apparently had something going on with Harvey.

So there's this huge gathering of the richest and most powerful people
in the city and they only have a handful of cops protecting them. No
other security including the private security teams of the rich? So a
number of the Mutant Gang can enter the front door of the party with
their automatic weapons at hand.

>And the current mayor...
>Somehow, Stephanie manages to avoid detection - it's never really
>explained how. (This episode is kind of back to implying that there
>could be something dodgy about Stephanie - I wish they'd just make up
>their minds on this...)

I didn't see anything suspicious in this episode.

> In a subplot, Harper is sent into GCPD HQ to try to retrieve the
>police report on a Wayne ancestor's murder. Harper, wearing a
>"disguise", gets trapped in HQ by the hostage crisis, and has to stay
>in GCPD but avoid detection. (This storyline is dumb, garnering only
>maybe a minor smirk in one or two scenes...)

Also the idea that they have a full team already responding to the
crisis at the Ball with police, and reporters surrounding the place
and now they are calling an all hands briefing at the precinct and
forcing a guy who works at another precinct (who is actually stealing
records) to attend the briefing as though he worked there. Yeah, that
makes sense. It's as though all other crimes stop because there's one
big crime even though none of these cops are actually going to be at
the scene of the big crime or otherwise be able to help.

> Turner (and Carrie/Robin) insist that they go into save the Founders
>Ball hostages. Harper shrugs, and Duela agrees to tag along because it
>means she'll get to beat up people.
> They realize the Mutant Gang has planted a device that will gas all
>of the hostages to death. Harper and Stephanie argue over how to
>diffuse the gassing device. I was convinced that the bickering was
>going to end with a scene of them making out, but they somehow resisted
>the urge - instead, it seems like Harper really does despise Stephanie.
>(Point in her favor.)

Yeah, Harper was upset because Stephanie made the right choice. If
Harper had used her method it seems like it would have taken too long
for it to take effect since the bad guy was setting off the bomb at
the same time as they were arguing over which method of defusing the
bomb to use.

> The YOUTS discover that some of the people at the Ball were Court of
>Owls, from their watches. Quelle surprise. (I'll give you one guess as
>to who the two watches belong to!...)

I was left wondering if he could also be the Talon giving his size and
he would be the anti-hero to Bruce Wayne, both rich and powerful.

> Harvey announced he is running for mayor after being the hero of the
>hostage crisis (while the current mayor was a coward).

LOL at the method they used to take out the current mayor. For all the
effort to keep themselves a secret the Court of Owls chooses some very
obvious and public methods of killing people.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)

<2pgc2ihc5u98f8tlk7kf18crpaupdut4t3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180625&group=rec.arts.tv#180625

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 22:21:42 -0400
 by: shawn - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 02:21 UTC

On Thu, 30 Mar 2023 12:58:33 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>On 3/30/2023 10:12 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> On 2023-03-30 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> This was the first half-day of my one-and-a-half day break/holiday!!
>>
>> Gotham Knights (recorded) - "Under Pressure" (ep. #3).
>Still working on episode 2.

Keep working on it.. Maybe take another 20-30 years to finish working
on episode 2. By then hopefully you'll be old enough that the brain
has started to slow down and episode 3 won't be so bad.

>I watched:
>
>The Mandalorian - "Chapter 21: The Pirate" - The Mandalorians battle
>space pirates. Meanwhile Elia Kane (Katy O'Brian) continues to just
>ooze evil in the background. How can anyone look at her and not
>instantly know she's up to no good!
>

>The Ark - "The Painful Way" - Trust disagrees with how the ship is being
>run and decides to take matters into his own hands.

Is anyone surprised at this decision. The way he reacts when anyone
challenges him makes me wonder why no one killed him long ago.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)

<u05krt$18ebe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180629&group=rec.arts.tv#180629

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 20:42:53 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 03:42 UTC

On 2023-03-31 02:21:42 +0000, shawn said:

> On Thu, 30 Mar 2023 12:58:33 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
> <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>> The Ark - "The Painful Way" - Trust disagrees with how the ship is being
>> run and decides to take matters into his own hands.
>
> Is anyone surprised at this decision. The way he reacts when anyone
> challenges him makes me wonder why no one killed him long ago.

Well, as the episode made clear, Trust isn't the real problem here -
it's his Lady Macbeth wife.

I do want credit for predicting two episodes ago the plot development
in this episode!!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)

<1691099409.701927199.966260.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180637&group=rec.arts.tv#180637

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 20:49:59 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 03:49 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-03-30 19:42:05 +0000, Dimensional Traveler said:
>
>> On 3/30/2023 10:12 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>>
>> First, why doesn't Ian ever ask what anyone else watched?
>
> Because in Ubi's threads, he (usually) asks first, and I just followup
> from his question...

Plus, Ian just doesn’t care!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-29 (Wednesday)

<u05nlm$18rj2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180652&group=rec.arts.tv#180652

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 21:30:50 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 04:30 UTC

On 3/30/2023 8:49 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2023-03-30 19:42:05 +0000, Dimensional Traveler said:
>>
>>> On 3/30/2023 10:12 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>>>
>>> First, why doesn't Ian ever ask what anyone else watched?
>>
>> Because in Ubi's threads, he (usually) asks first, and I just followup
>> from his question...
>>

> Plus, Ian just doesn’t care!

That hurts my feelings. :(

(Plus Ubi is on the other side of the iris on my Usenet Stargate.)

dirty old man.