Walk softly and carry a big stick. -- Theodore Roosevelt

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)Ubiquitous
+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)Ian J. Ball
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)shawn
 +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)Ian J. Ball
 +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)Dimensional Traveler
 |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)Arthur Lipscomb
 | `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)Dimensional Traveler
 `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)Arthur Lipscomb
  +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)shawn
  +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)Ian J. Ball
  |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)Arthur Lipscomb
  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)anim8rfsk
   +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)Ian J. Ball
   |+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)shawn
   ||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)Ian J. Ball
   || `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)shawn
   ||  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)Ian J. Ball
   ||   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)anim8rfsk
   |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)anim8rfsk
   | +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)shawn
   | `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)Ian J. Ball
   `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)anim8rfsk
    `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)shawn

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)

<UBI20230330@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180673&group=rec.arts.tv#180673

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 04:30:40 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 09:30 UTC

On the day several insurrections occurred in America, I watched:

Assorted nedia coverage of America becoming a banana republic.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)

<u06np7$1ea02$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180680&group=rec.arts.tv#180680

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 06:38:47 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 13:38 UTC

On 2023-03-31 09:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

My "day off" didn't work out as hoped, and I didn't get through any
movies. What I got through was:

soaps: DOOL - Tues' and Wed's ep's I believe. EJ's & Nicole's plans to
"sting" Stefan and Gabi, in flagrante, backfires when Stefan figures
out what they are up to! Rafe and Jada question Sloan about Paulina's
office trashing but get nowhere; Sloan later denies being involved with
that to Eric.
GH - Tues' ep. Cam's going away party (with special guest Esme!!) -
at the end of this, I believe Lizzie was informed of the news that
Epiphany had died (the actress died in real life, late last year, I
believe...). As predicted, Elaine(?) Ashby's cover is blown, and she
tells Victor everything (including that Valentin, et al. are still
alive), right before Victor murders her!!

The Ark (recorded) - "The Painful Way" (ep. #9). (NOTE: This is also
posted to a separate "SnARK" thread.)
I wasn's expecting to like this one, however I ended up liking it
quite a bit - but I'm a "conflict junkie" when it comes to TV drama,
and this one had a lot of conflict!!
Alicia figures out that Ark 15 is ahead of Ark 1 in heading to
Proxima b. William Trust wants to design a "shield" against Ark 15's
weapons, but it is untested. Garnet doesn't want to risk the crew on
something untested, and unilaterally orders them to change course to
Ross 128. (Brice backs Garent up, mostly because he hates Trust).
Most of the rest of the crew does not want to add years to their
trip. So, variously the Trusts, Lane and Cat try to foment dissent and
insurection among the crew - the Trusts work on Jelena. At one point,
Garnet and Brice are attacked by random Trust-supporting crew thugs!
Eventually, William Trust even gets to Eva, who doesn't think the
ship will last to Ross 128 and more importantly still wants to "save"
Brice from certain doom from his disease!
So Jelena drugs Felix, Eva drugs Brice, and Cat drugs Garnet, and
the Trusts take over, reinstalling Lane as "acting captain".
By this point, it's clear that Helena Trust is basically an insane
despot-type, and she's pulling her husband's strings!
Meanwhie, in the "I told you so!!" department, now clearly EVOL!!1!
Kelly wants to get her wrist comminicator fixed, and when she finally
does it is revealed that her communicator is an *Ark 15* comm, not an
Ark 3 one!! (I called it!) and Kelly has to murder the dude who fixed
her comm and realized this. EVOL!!1! Kelly intends to contact Ark 15,
as her comm has "subspace" communication. (Going back to original "Star
Trek", it has never been explained what "subspace" communication is, or
how it works!!)
With Garnet, Brice and Felix in confinment, the Trusts stop the
journey to Ross 128, intending to go back towards Proxima B. But Trust
is locked out of the system! Helena stars pulling the air out of the
room that Garnet, et al are confined in! Jelena can't get in to save
them!!
Alicia confesses to locking Trust out of the system in order to save
them. Helena immediately wants to space Alicia, and Eva and Lane have
had enough and revolt. However, about half of the remaining bridge crew
is EVOL!!1! and attacks them. (Why aren't these people spaced?!!)
Jelena also switches sides and releases Garnet, Brice and Felix who
beeline to the bridge and reassume control. Despite Lane trying to help
Alicia, Garnet coldly coldcocks Lane!
Lane, Cat, and the Trusts are now the ones confined in a brig!!
Eva and Jelena get a stern talking to, and their fates are still up
in the air!
In the episode's dumbest bit, Ark 15 immediately drops out of warp
at this point. (How the eff did it get to them so fast?! Does Ark 15
have "Warp 9"?!!) Garnet has Alicia try Trust's "shield" and it
predictably fails. It's a standoff!
But EVOL!!1! Kelly kills(?) the brig guard, and busts into the brig
to take Trust for Ark 15!
Next episode: An Ark 15 boarding party tries to come aboard Ark 1!
They've come for William Trust!

Rooming With Danger (LMN) - Lead Camila Senna is super cute, but this
flick wasn't all that.
I think it was set in L.A., but based on the vaguely Cubano accents
(e.g. Senna's), and some of the settings, I wonder if this was actually
filmed in Miami...
Anyway, Daniela Rivera (maybe the only castmember with a standard
American accent) plays a needy insane type who is constantly trying to
"replace" her dead sister. (In the flick's open, she murders her
previous roommate when the roomie rebels and calls Rivera's character a
"psycho". Which, of course, she is!)
Meanwhile, Senna's character has an abusive (ex-)boyfriend that she
needs to get away from. Senna's character applies to be Rivera's new
roomie, and the later is "determined" to get herself a new sister.
It's pretty predicable from here as Rivera tries to isolate her new
roomie from friends and love interest, and generally fails at it.
Eventually Senna's character starts tumbling to the fact that her
new roommate has a screw (or 15!!) loose.
This also ends mostly predictably.
I'm waiting for the Lifetime movie that ends with the psycho
actually killing the innocent gullable ingenue (and gets away with it)
- that would definitely break the Lifetime movie mold!! (Tubi's "Deadly
Cheer Mom" sort of goes off in that direction, but doesn't make it all
the way there...)

Recorded for later: GH, and "Hider in My House" (off LMN).

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)

<A0kc2it6m7ddmq1jl2bdtfef1uhlqulqdo@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180681&group=rec.arts.tv#180681

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 10:00:05 -0400
 by: shawn - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 14:00 UTC

I watched

THE NIGHT AGENT ep4

In this episode they open up with the two Secret Service agents
assigned to protect the VP's daughter coming to an understanding.
The returning from sick leave agent revealing that he had/has a drug
problem but isn't abusing the pain killers now and is tested twice a
week. We also have the art teacher making his move on the daughter as
part of the plot. The FBI agent and his protectee make a trip out to
the one address they were able to find on the hard drive and find an
old woman who it turns out did know the protectee's aunt and uncle and
was helping them with their case, but didn't know what it was about.
They figure out that it has something to do with a particular block
and the metro that passes underneath, but aren't sure why. Then the
protectee finds another video on the hard drive that has a woman
sitting at a coffee shop in that block for hours. Turns out she is the
lead agent protecting the VP's daughter, and so the various stories
begin to come together.

Of course at this point only three people know about this plan outside
of the bad guys and they still haven't been given a description of the
know two bad guys. Which ticks me off as it was the obvious thing to
do. At first it sort of made sense to not let everyone know the
protectee saw the bad guy's face, but once he had seen her with her
looking back at him twice and shot at her each time there was no
excuse for not being forthcoming with that description. Then we add on
when the bad guy was shooting at the FBI agent and still no one was
given a description of these two bad guys (well one guy and one
woman.)

I also finished up THE CONSULTANT, a strange 8 episode series from
Amazon about a consultant who comes into a mobile game studio and then
proceeds to create havoc. While technically a drama about a consultant
helping out a struggling game studio there's much more going on. With
the strange behavior of the consultant and his odd behaviors. Then
there's the way he treats the work force much like play things a bit
like in NEEDFUL THINGS

In this final episode things are brought to a head as the consultant
finishes up his work and we get to see more of the outcome of his
efforts in how it has changed people to the point where some are
willing to commit murder or betray a friend to get what they want. We
also see the proof that one of the strangest things in the show that's
been hinted and talked about is true. Also we get to see signs that
the consultant has moved on to help out another company with the
similar death and destruction following him as he goes.

I also finished up the MARVEL RISING series of cartoons that show a
bunch of teen super heroes coming together to learn to work together
to take out criminals. The show revolves mostly around Miss Marvel and
Squirrel Girl with others joining in like Quake (voiced by Chloe
Bennett) and Ghost Spider.

I also recorded TOP CHEF to watch later and am working through THE ARK
but I'll save that discussion for our SnarkFest.

What did you watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)

<u06s0a$1f17f$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180682&group=rec.arts.tv#180682

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 07:50:50 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 14:50 UTC

On 2023-03-31 14:00:05 +0000, shawn said:

> What did you watch?

Oops - I forgot that you posted one of these earlier. My bad.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)

<u06vr5$1fkea$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180685&group=rec.arts.tv#180685

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 08:56:22 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 15:56 UTC

On 3/31/2023 7:00 AM, shawn wrote:

> What did you watch?

Thank you for asking! I watched....

Stargate: SG-1 *waits to see if an Animwhap is required....*

S1E16 'Enigma'
SG-1 steps onto a planet into ash fall from a local volcano. As they
are about to dial back to Earth they realize there are people scattered
around the gate in the ash. They manage to rescue 10 of them, carrying
equipment clearly more advanced than Earth's. Once they recover they
identify themselves as the Tolan. Their leader is dismissive of the
"primitive" people who rescued them. Meanwhile the volcanic eruptions
on their planet are advancing and a ROV flight thru the Stargate shows
that it will buried in a few days. When the Tolan are informed they say
they were the end of the migration of their people to another planet
because of the ongoing catastrophes on their world.

SGC starts looking for someplace the Tolan can settle on, talking to
some of the other peoples they have already made contact with. The
Tolan leader is "insulted" because the ones willing to take them in are
even more primitive than Earth. The Tolan also "escape" from the SGC
which freaks out the SGC personnel who go looking for them. Relations
are not going well and seem to be getting worse. A Tolan infatuated
with Carter tells her about how another planet in their system was also
inhabited by a less advanced people. When the Tolan tried to help them
by giving them a power source they used it in a war that destroyed their
world in a day and affected Tolan's orbit, starting the cataclysms that
were destroying their civilization. Hence the Tolan's disdain for
"primitives". He also tells her that the "escape" was so the Tolan
could calculate how far away their new homeworld was. A long, long way
away.

A Col. Maybourne from NID arrives at SGC with orders to take the Tolan.
They will be ... a source of information on advanced technologies.
Hammond is not happy and the Tolan are even less pleased. SG-1 comes up
with a possible plan to help the Tolan. Contact the Nox. The Tolan
leader and Jackson walk thru some walls and the Tolan sends a message to
the Nox world using the co-ordinates Jackson gives him. A little while
later, as Maybourne is preparing to take the Tolan away the Stargate is
activated from offworld. The Tolan are gathered in the gate room and
the Nox woman, Lya, steps thru the Stargate. She closes the wormhole
and activates the Stargate again, telling the Tolan they are welcome to
come to the Nox world. Maybourne is unhappy but a little Nox
disappearance to cover the Tolan and the guards' weapons leaves him
unable to prevent their departure.

This looks like it is the episode where the producers started to create
the mythology of the series. Representatives from two previously
contacted worlds show up at SGC and starts feeling like they are
thinking a bit more about what they want to be "out there" for SGC to
deal with.

S1E18 'Tin Man'
Yes, the DVD set still has things out of broadcast order. So far that
hasn't caused any contradictions that I've noticed. Maybe they are in
production order of the discs.

SG-1 arrives ... in the middle of factory? It looks a lot like an Earth
facility (for some reason :P ). Carter: "Oh! A computer." Starts
pressing keys. Ominous sounds start. O'Neill: "That sounds ominous."
They start to leave. A white light runs down their bodies as the
collapse. Roll the opening credits stuff.

SG-1 wakes up on platforms in strange black outfits. Carter: "How did
we get into these outfits?" A funny dressed bald man comes into the
room saying "Comtrya!" and looking happy. He quickly starts speaking
English.
O'Neill: "Listen, we had some things when we got here. Some... weapons."
Funny Bald Guy: "Oh! Those, hmmm, yes, very dangerous."
O'Neill: "Very. Can we have them back?"

Funny Bald Guy says his name is Harlan and he leads them out of the room
saying their weapons are this way. As Harlan shows the team around they
find out he is the last one on the planet. And by the way Harlan has
made them all "better!" "Better, how?" Harlan can't even start to
explain. O'Neill says "We're out of here!" Harlan is very confused.
SG-1 dials home and goes thru the gate. As they are leaving he tells
them they'll be back! They ignore him. Harlan says, "Oh dear."

Back at SGC Dr. Fraiser is a little worried. She has O'Neill use the
stethoscope on himself. "I don't hear anything." Fraiser nods. "What?
This is better? I'm dead?" (Here's where I feel like I should be
throwing in a 'Dead Like Me' reference.) Frasier takes a blood sample.
Its white. People start to freak. Teal'c realizes he no longer has a
gou'ald! O'Neill tries to commit suicide by cutting his arm open with a
scalpel! Wait, why isn't he bleeding? Why does he have Luke
Skywalker's artificial hand inside his arm?! Frasier hits the panic button.

Hammond locks the four of them up as imposters. Everyone tries to
figure out what's going on. Faux SG-1 come to the conclusion that
Harlan transferred their consciousness into artificial bodies and what
that bodes for them on Earth. The faux SG-1 realizes why Harlan said
they would be back. They also finally realize that Harlan is artificial
too. Hammond comes to talk to them, they explain what they think they
know to him, then start to feel bad and start to faint. O'Neill says
they have to go back, General!

The team is thrown back thru the gate to Harlan's world. Their bodies
immediately start recharging. (How common were cell phones in 1997?)
Harlan appears saying "Comtrya!" O'Neill is not happy. Carter:
"Colonel! He's the only one who can put us back in our own bodies."
Harlan: "Oh no no no. I can not do that." O'Neill expresses
displeasure. Harlan chokes out "You ... are ... damaging ... me." It
becomes clear Harlan intends the four of them to remain and help him
maintain the facility he lives, exists, in.

Our Heroes argue. O'Neill leave to find Harlan. "Just to talk!"
Carter and Jackson talk. Teal'c broods. Teal'c leaves. Carter and
Jackson look at each other. Carter and Jackson try to follow Teal'c but
lose him. Teal'c is off by himself having an epileptic fit. Carter and
Jackson find O'Neill yelling at Harlan. Harlan tells them about how the
last of his people transferred themselves into robotic bodies to survive
the death of the surface of their planet. Over time some malfunctioned,
some left thru the Stargate (carrying smaller portable power sources),
others committed "ended their existence" by walking away from complex on
the, highly radioactive, surface and some were lost in accidents until
only Harlan was left.

The main power supply, the one that keeps all of them "alive",
malfunctions. Harlan needs their help to repair it. Why does a robot
chew its fingernails? The three of our heroes who aren't having a
seizure go off to use their pre-programmed knowledge and robot strength
to start fixing the power source. Teal'c comes across O'Neill making
repairs and attacks him! They vent enough steam to stop the building
explosion! Carter, Jackson and Harlan find Teal'c just about to bash
O'Neill's head in and Harlan vaporizes Teal'c. Harlan promises he can
fix O'Neill and Teal'c. Carter and Jackson follow him to find him
"making" a new Teal'c. "How can you make a new synthetic of Teal'c
without the original?!" He can't, as they are taken to see the real
SG-1 that he was copying. The faux SG-1 tries to come to terms with
being copies that can never go home. Faux O'Neill wanders off, Jackson
and Carter release the original (accept no substitutes!) SG-1.
Teal'c: "Was not a copy made of me?"
Harlan: "Oh! Yes umm yes, but I had to disintegrate you."
Teal'c: "I see."

O'Neill goes off to have a conversation with himself. I'll leave how
that goes to your imagination....

Faux O'Neill: "People are not supposed to live forever."
Harlan: "Maybe not but if you try just a few hundred years perhaps you
might change your mind! Yes?"
(At least he didn't say "Comtrya!" again.)

Original recipe SG-1 goes home, but apparently not until a new faux
Teal'c is made. He was feeling left out.

What did you watch?

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)

<u07174$1fv0s$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180686&group=rec.arts.tv#180686

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 09:19:40 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 16:19 UTC

On 3/31/2023 7:00 AM, shawn wrote:
> I watched
>
> THE NIGHT AGENT ep4

I plan to get to this eventually.

> I also finished up THE CONSULTANT, a strange 8 episode series from
> Amazon about a consultant who comes into a mobile game studio and then
> proceeds to create havoc. While technically a drama about a consultant
> helping out a struggling game studio there's much more going on. With
> the strange behavior of the consultant and his odd behaviors. Then
> there's the way he treats the work force much like play things a bit
> like in NEEDFUL THINGS

I still need to finish this.

> I also finished up the MARVEL RISING series of cartoons that show a
> bunch of teen super heroes coming together to learn to work together
> to take out criminals. The show revolves mostly around Miss Marvel and
> Squirrel Girl with others joining in like Quake (voiced by Chloe
> Bennett) and Ghost Spider.

This on Disney+?

> I also recorded TOP CHEF to watch later and am working through THE ARK
> but I'll save that discussion for our SnarkFest.
>
> What did you watch?

I watched:

Law & Order: Organized Crime - "Chinatown" - An OK episode but it
suffered from recognizable actor syndrome.

Star Trek: Picard - "Dominion" - A lot going on with this one between
battling changelings, battling an evil AI, and a nice cameo.

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (theatrical) - Based on the
popular board game a group of thieves must face dungeons and dragons in
order to steal something valuable and save the day. I guess it was OK.
There were a couple of highlights with the evil wizard always being
great when on screen. And I loved a certain cameo I wasn't expecting to
see. But once I saw it I wanted more. And I was thinking why couldn't
this movie have been based off of that cameo then it would have been so
much better.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)

<qt3e2i9uompv715n3n9q6iqg5fs2rkb2u5@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180690&group=rec.arts.tv#180690

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 12:57:01 -0400
 by: shawn - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 16:57 UTC

On Fri, 31 Mar 2023 09:19:40 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>On 3/31/2023 7:00 AM, shawn wrote:
>> I watched
>>
>> THE NIGHT AGENT ep4
>>

>I plan to get to this eventually.

I'm enjoying it. Though watching this, THE NIGHT MANAGER and RABBIT
HOLE together tends to turn my brain into mush with the different
approaches to similar situations.

>> I also finished up THE CONSULTANT, a strange 8 episode series from
>> Amazon about a consultant who comes into a mobile game studio and then
>> proceeds to create havoc. While technically a drama about a consultant
>> helping out a struggling game studio there's much more going on. With
>> the strange behavior of the consultant and his odd behaviors. Then
>> there's the way he treats the work force much like play things a bit
>> like in NEEDFUL THINGS
>>

>I still need to finish this.

It's a nice little series. Glad to see that they actually provided an
end to show while allowing for a second season should they wish to
make one.

>> I also finished up the MARVEL RISING series of cartoons that show a
>> bunch of teen super heroes coming together to learn to work together
>> to take out criminals. The show revolves mostly around Miss Marvel and
>> Squirrel Girl with others joining in like Quake (voiced by Chloe
>> Bennett) and Ghost Spider.
>>

>This on Disney+?

Should be. I recorded it back years ago and just never got around to
watching it.

>> I also recorded TOP CHEF to watch later and am working through THE ARK
>> but I'll save that discussion for our SnarkFest.
>>
>> What did you watch?
>>

>I watched:
>
>Law & Order: Organized Crime - "Chinatown" - An OK episode but it
>suffered from recognizable actor syndrome.

I haven't got to this one yet but it is on my list.

>Star Trek: Picard - "Dominion" - A lot going on with this one between
>battling changelings, battling an evil AI, and a nice cameo.
>

>Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (theatrical) - Based on the
>popular board game a group of thieves must face dungeons and dragons in
>order to steal something valuable and save the day. I guess it was OK.
>There were a couple of highlights with the evil wizard always being
>great when on screen. And I loved a certain cameo I wasn't expecting to
>see. But once I saw it I wanted more. And I was thinking why couldn't
>this movie have been based off of that cameo then it would have been so
>much better.

While I would like to see it I always look at the ads for something
like this and think it's perfect for watching on the TV at home one
dark night and not, 'Oh I must see this in the theater.'

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)

<u075fm$1gn08$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180691&group=rec.arts.tv#180691

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 10:32:39 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 17:32 UTC

On 2023-03-31 16:19:40 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (theatrical) - Based on the
> popular board game a group of thieves must face dungeons and dragons in
> order to steal something valuable and save the day. I guess it was OK.
> There were a couple of highlights with the evil wizard always being
> great when on screen. And I loved a certain cameo I wasn't expecting
> to see. But once I saw it I wanted more. And I was thinking why
> couldn't this movie have been based off of that cameo then it would
> have been so much better.

They keep trying to make D&D movies. But isn't D&D exactly something
that is best suited to being a *TV series*?!!

I keep wondering about this. I'm guessing that a D&D TV series would be
too expensive to produce, with too much uncertainty about whether it
would be a success or not. (Though GoT and TLotR:TRoP would seem to
indicate that failure is not guaranteed!!)

So I think the studio types think that D&D films are the safer bet.

But I think a D&D TV series is more likely to be a creative/story success.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)

<u077k1$1h26e$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180692&group=rec.arts.tv#180692

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 10:04:38 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 17:04 UTC

On 3/31/2023 8:56 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 3/31/2023 7:00 AM, shawn wrote:
>>
>> What did you watch?
>>
> Thank you for asking!  I watched....
>
> Stargate: SG-1 *waits to see if an Animwhap is required....*
>
> S1E16 'Enigma'
> SG-1 steps onto a planet into ash fall from a local volcano.  As they
> are about to dial back to Earth they realize there are people scattered
> around the gate in the ash.  They manage to rescue 10 of them, carrying
> equipment clearly more advanced than Earth's.  Once they recover they
> identify themselves as the Tolan.  Their leader is dismissive of the
> "primitive" people who rescued them.  Meanwhile the volcanic eruptions
> on their planet are advancing and a ROV flight thru the Stargate shows
> that it will buried in a few days.  When the Tolan are informed they say
> they were the end of the migration of their people to another planet
> because of the ongoing catastrophes on their world.
>
> SGC starts looking for someplace the Tolan can settle on, talking to
> some of the other peoples they have already made contact with.  The
> Tolan leader is "insulted" because the ones willing to take them in are
> even more primitive than Earth.  The Tolan also "escape" from the SGC
> which freaks out the SGC personnel who go looking for them.  Relations
> are not going well and seem to be getting worse.  A Tolan infatuated
> with Carter tells her about how another planet in their system was also
> inhabited by a less advanced people.  When the Tolan tried to help them
> by giving them a power source they used it in a war that destroyed their
> world in a day and affected Tolan's orbit, starting the cataclysms that
> were destroying their civilization.  Hence the Tolan's disdain for
> "primitives".  He also tells her that the "escape" was so the Tolan
> could calculate how far away their new homeworld was.  A long, long way
> away.
>
> A Col. Maybourne from NID arrives at SGC with orders to take the Tolan.
> They will be ... a source of information on advanced technologies.
> Hammond is not happy and the Tolan are even less pleased.  SG-1 comes up
> with a possible plan to help the Tolan.  Contact the Nox.  The Tolan
> leader and Jackson walk thru some walls and the Tolan sends a message to
> the Nox world using the co-ordinates Jackson gives him.  A little while
> later, as Maybourne is preparing to take the Tolan away the Stargate is
> activated from offworld.  The Tolan are gathered in the gate room and
> the Nox woman, Lya, steps thru the Stargate.

Did they open the iris for her?

She closes the wormhole
> and activates the Stargate again, telling the Tolan they are welcome to
> come to the Nox world.  Maybourne is unhappy but a little Nox
> disappearance to cover the Tolan and the guards' weapons leaves him
> unable to prevent their departure.
>
> This looks like it is the episode where the producers started to create
> the mythology of the series.  Representatives from two previously
> contacted worlds show up at SGC and starts feeling like they are
> thinking a bit more about what they want to be "out there" for SGC to
> deal with.
>

> S1E18 'Tin Man'
> Yes, the DVD set still has things out of broadcast order.  So far that
> hasn't caused any contradictions that I've noticed.  Maybe they are in
> production order of the discs.
>
> SG-1 arrives ... in the middle of factory?  It looks a lot like an Earth
> facility (for some reason :P ).  Carter: "Oh!  A computer."  Starts
> pressing keys.  Ominous sounds start.  O'Neill: "That sounds ominous."
> They start to leave.  A white light runs down their bodies as the
> collapse.  Roll the opening credits stuff.
>
> SG-1 wakes up on platforms in strange black outfits.  Carter: "How did
> we get into these outfits?"  A funny dressed bald man

Dom Deluise?

> [...]
> fix O'Neill and Teal'c.  Carter and Jackson follow him to find him
> "making" a new Teal'c.  "How can you make a new synthetic of Teal'c
> without the original?!"  He can't, as they are taken to see the real
> SG-1 that he was copying.  The faux SG-1 tries to come to terms with
> being copies that can never go home.  Faux O'Neill wanders off, Jackson
> and Carter release the original (accept no substitutes!) SG-1.
> Teal'c: "Was not a copy made of me?"
> Harlan: "Oh!  Yes umm yes, but I had to disintegrate you."
> Teal'c: "I see."
>
> O'Neill goes off to have a conversation with himself.  I'll leave how
> that goes to your imagination....
>
> Faux O'Neill: "People are not supposed to live forever."
> Harlan: "Maybe not but if you try just a few hundred years perhaps you
> might change your mind!  Yes?"
> (At least he didn't say "Comtrya!" again.)

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)

<u077k2$1h26e$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180693&group=rec.arts.tv#180693

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 11:08:56 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 18:08 UTC

On 3/31/2023 10:32 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2023-03-31 16:19:40 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:
>
>> Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (theatrical) - Based on the
>> popular board game a group of thieves must face dungeons and dragons
>> in order to steal something valuable and save the day.  I guess it was
>> OK. There were a couple of highlights with the evil wizard always
>> being great when on screen.  And I loved a certain cameo I wasn't
>> expecting to see.  But once I saw it I wanted more.  And I was
>> thinking why couldn't this movie have been based off of that cameo
>> then it would have been so much better.
>
> They keep trying to make D&D movies. But isn't D&D exactly something
> that is best suited to being a *TV series*?!!
>
> I keep wondering about this. I'm guessing that a D&D TV series would be
> too expensive to produce, with too much uncertainty about whether it
> would be a success or not. (Though GoT and TLotR:TRoP would seem to
> indicate that failure is not guaranteed!!)

Those series also indicate a D&D series should be a safe bet if done right.

> So I think the studio types think that D&D films are the safer bet.
>
> But I think a D&D TV series is more likely to be a creative/story success.

I was watching the 2000 D&D movie and realized it came out just before
Lord of the Rings and was thinking it's a good thing D&D didn't cause
LOTR to tank at the box office. Then I was thinking what if LOTR came
out first and D&D was forced to step up their game as a result. We
would have had a better D&D movie in 2000. This new D&D movie is the
product of having LOTR and GoT in the public consciousness and the
public expecting better. Don't get me wrong the new D&D is nowhere near
as good at LOTR of GoT. Just they stepped up their game a little bit
and it looks great.

Speaking of D&D TV series...gur punenpgref sebz gur GI frevrf znxr n
pnzrb va gur zbivr ohg arire fcrnx naq gur pnzren arire sbphfrf ba gurz
gbb pyrneyl. Ohg gurl ner va n srj fprarf nf onpxtebhaq punenpgref
univat gurve bja nqiragher gung pebffrf cnguf jvgu gur zbivr'f urebrf.
V ernyyl jnagrq gb frr gur GI punenpgref va npgvba svtugvat nybat fvqr
gur zbivr urebrf, ohg gung arire unccrarq.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)

<u0786i$1h3ho$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180694&group=rec.arts.tv#180694

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 11:19:00 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 18:19 UTC

On 3/31/2023 10:04 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> On 3/31/2023 8:56 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> On 3/31/2023 7:00 AM, shawn wrote:
>>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>>
>> Thank you for asking!  I watched....
>>
>> Stargate: SG-1 *waits to see if an Animwhap is required....*
>>
>> S1E16 'Enigma'
>> SG-1 steps onto a planet into ash fall from a local volcano.  As they
>> are about to dial back to Earth they realize there are people
>> scattered around the gate in the ash.  They manage to rescue 10 of
>> them, carrying equipment clearly more advanced than Earth's.  Once
>> they recover they identify themselves as the Tolan.  Their leader is
>> dismissive of the "primitive" people who rescued them.  Meanwhile the
>> volcanic eruptions on their planet are advancing and a ROV flight thru
>> the Stargate shows that it will buried in a few days.  When the Tolan
>> are informed they say they were the end of the migration of their
>> people to another planet because of the ongoing catastrophes on their
>> world.
>>
>> SGC starts looking for someplace the Tolan can settle on, talking to
>> some of the other peoples they have already made contact with.  The
>> Tolan leader is "insulted" because the ones willing to take them in
>> are even more primitive than Earth.  The Tolan also "escape" from the
>> SGC which freaks out the SGC personnel who go looking for them.
>> Relations are not going well and seem to be getting worse.  A Tolan
>> infatuated with Carter tells her about how another planet in their
>> system was also inhabited by a less advanced people.  When the Tolan
>> tried to help them by giving them a power source they used it in a war
>> that destroyed their world in a day and affected Tolan's orbit,
>> starting the cataclysms that were destroying their civilization.
>> Hence the Tolan's disdain for "primitives".  He also tells her that
>> the "escape" was so the Tolan could calculate how far away their new
>> homeworld was.  A long, long way away.
>>
>> A Col. Maybourne from NID arrives at SGC with orders to take the
>> Tolan. They will be ... a source of information on advanced
>> technologies. Hammond is not happy and the Tolan are even less
>> pleased.  SG-1 comes up with a possible plan to help the Tolan.
>> Contact the Nox.  The Tolan leader and Jackson walk thru some walls
>> and the Tolan sends a message to the Nox world using the co-ordinates
>> Jackson gives him.  A little while later, as Maybourne is preparing to
>> take the Tolan away the Stargate is activated from offworld.  The
>> Tolan are gathered in the gate room and the Nox woman, Lya, steps thru
>> the Stargate.
>
> Did they open the iris for her?

Nope. Why would she need them to do that? ;)

>>  She closes the wormhole
>> and activates the Stargate again, telling the Tolan they are welcome
>> to come to the Nox world.  Maybourne is unhappy but a little Nox
>> disappearance to cover the Tolan and the guards' weapons leaves him
>> unable to prevent their departure.
>>
>> This looks like it is the episode where the producers started to
>> create the mythology of the series.  Representatives from two
>> previously contacted worlds show up at SGC and starts feeling like
>> they are thinking a bit more about what they want to be "out there"
>> for SGC to deal with.
>>

>> S1E18 'Tin Man'
>> Yes, the DVD set still has things out of broadcast order.  So far that
>> hasn't caused any contradictions that I've noticed.  Maybe they are in
>> production order of the discs.
>>
>> SG-1 arrives ... in the middle of factory?  It looks a lot like an
>> Earth facility (for some reason :P ).  Carter: "Oh!  A computer."
>> Starts pressing keys.  Ominous sounds start.  O'Neill: "That sounds
>> ominous." They start to leave.  A white light runs down their bodies
>> as the collapse.  Roll the opening credits stuff.
>>
>> SG-1 wakes up on platforms in strange black outfits.  Carter: "How did
>> we get into these outfits?"  A funny dressed bald man
>
> Dom Deluise?

No, he doesn't appear for a few more seasons. This funny bald man was
Jay Brazeau.

> [...]
>> follow him to find him "making" a new Teal'c.  "How can you make a new
>> synthetic of Teal'c without the original?!"  He can't, as they are
>> taken to see the real SG-1 that he was copying.  The faux SG-1 tries
>> to come to terms with being copies that can never go home.  Faux
>> O'Neill wanders off, Jackson and Carter release the original (accept
>> no substitutes!) SG-1.
>> Teal'c: "Was not a copy made of me?"
>> Harlan: "Oh!  Yes umm yes, but I had to disintegrate you."
>> Teal'c: "I see."
>>
>> O'Neill goes off to have a conversation with himself.  I'll leave how
>> that goes to your imagination....
>>
>> Faux O'Neill: "People are not supposed to live forever."
>> Harlan: "Maybe not but if you try just a few hundred years perhaps you
>> might change your mind!  Yes?"
>> (At least he didn't say "Comtrya!" again.)
>>

> But we will see the faux SG1 again.  :-)

Hopefully by then faux O'Neill will have gotten his face fixed.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)

<282805730.701980299.147624.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180704&group=rec.arts.tv#180704

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 13:49:11 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 20:49 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 3/31/2023 7:00 AM, shawn wrote:
>> I watched
>>
>> THE NIGHT AGENT ep4
>>

> I plan to get to this eventually.
>

>> I also finished up THE CONSULTANT, a strange 8 episode series from
>> Amazon about a consultant who comes into a mobile game studio and then
>> proceeds to create havoc. While technically a drama about a consultant
>> helping out a struggling game studio there's much more going on. With
>> the strange behavior of the consultant and his odd behaviors. Then
>> there's the way he treats the work force much like play things a bit
>> like in NEEDFUL THINGS
>>

> I still need to finish this.
>

>> I also finished up the MARVEL RISING series of cartoons that show a
>> bunch of teen super heroes coming together to learn to work together
>> to take out criminals. The show revolves mostly around Miss Marvel and
>> Squirrel Girl with others joining in like Quake (voiced by Chloe
>> Bennett) and Ghost Spider.
>>

> This on Disney+?

Yes, although they hit it well. I finally had to search within the app for
it. Found seven episodes. But I couldn’t find them grouped anywhere or
anything that told you if there’s a viewing order.

In the order they came up in search:

SECRET WARRIORS doesn’t say anything about the other episodes

INITIATION has an episodes click to six very short installments about ghost
spider.

CHASING GHOSTS

PLAYING WITH FIRE.

BATTLE OF THE BANDS.

HEART OF IRON RiRi Williams (iron heart) joins the secret warriors,

OPERATION SHURI

About a3 of the way into Ian’s Wikipedia article they list under “specials”
the closest thing I found to watching order. (At the very least, its
release order)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Rising?wprov=sfti1

Marvel Rising: Initiation (a series of four minute shorts released first)

Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors (main entry)

Follow up specials:

Marvel Rising: Chasing Ghosts

Marvel Rising: Heart of Iron

Marvel Rising: Battle of the Bands

Marvel Rising: Operation Shuri

Marvel Rising: Playing with Fire

I swear, it’s like they don’t want us to watch these

> Star Trek: Picard - "Dominion" - A lot going on with this one between
> battling changelings, battling an evil AI, and a nice cameo.
>

> Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (theatrical) - Based on the
> popular board game a group of thieves must face dungeons and dragons in
> order to steal something valuable and save the day. I guess it was OK.
> There were a couple of highlights with the evil wizard always being
> great when on screen. And I loved a certain cameo I wasn't expecting to
> see. But once I saw it I wanted more. And I was thinking why couldn't
> this movie have been based off of that cameo then it would have been so
> much better.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)

<u07oje$1jqnf$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180716&group=rec.arts.tv#180716

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 15:58:54 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 22:58 UTC

On 2023-03-31 20:49:11 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>> On 3/31/2023 7:00 AM, shawn wrote:
>>> I watched
>>>
>>> I also finished up the MARVEL RISING series of cartoons that show a
>>> bunch of teen super heroes coming together to learn to work together
>>> to take out criminals. The show revolves mostly around Miss Marvel and
>>> Squirrel Girl with others joining in like Quake (voiced by Chloe
>>> Bennett) and Ghost Spider.
>>
>> This on Disney+?
>
> Yes, although they hi[d] it well. I finally had to search within the app for
> it. Found seven episodes. But I couldn’t find them grouped anywhere or
> anything that told you if there’s a viewing order.

Two things are true about Disney+ is true: 1) Either their (movie)
selection is *crap*, or 2) The app is *terrible* at picking out their
good stuff. (Or both!)

But every time I go to their 'Movie' pane, I'm amazed out how meager
the selection of "featured" movies, esp. is if you discount SW and
Marvel. So either they truly have nothing. Or the app isn't showing me
movies I actually want to see.

For my money, Disney+ is the most useless streamer (not including the
streamers I haven't looked at, like Pee+ or Starz). If it wasn't
bundled with Hulu, I think I would have dropped it.

>> Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (theatrical) - Based on the
>> popular board game a group of thieves must face dungeons and dragons in
>> order to steal something valuable and save the day. I guess it was OK.
>> There were a couple of highlights with the evil wizard always being
>> great when on screen. And I loved a certain cameo I wasn't expecting to
>> see. But once I saw it I wanted more. And I was thinking why couldn't
>> this movie have been based off of that cameo then it would have been so
>> much better.

I still want to be able to go back and watch the 2000 flick!!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)

<jque2i9cop0nmig8qlcfjvoa732oq0im0s@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180719&group=rec.arts.tv#180719

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 20:35:19 -0400
 by: shawn - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 00:35 UTC

On Fri, 31 Mar 2023 15:58:54 -0700, Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>On 2023-03-31 20:49:11 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> This on Disney+?
>>
>> Yes, although they hi[d] it well. I finally had to search within the app for
>> it. Found seven episodes. But I couldn’t find them grouped anywhere or
>> anything that told you if there’s a viewing order.
>
>Two things are true about Disney+ is true: 1) Either their (movie)
>selection is *crap*, or 2) The app is *terrible* at picking out their
>good stuff. (Or both!)
>
>But every time I go to their 'Movie' pane, I'm amazed out how meager
>the selection of "featured" movies, esp. is if you discount SW and
>Marvel. So either they truly have nothing. Or the app isn't showing me
>movies I actually want to see.
>
>For my money, Disney+ is the most useless streamer (not including the
>streamers I haven't looked at, like Pee+ or Starz). If it wasn't
>bundled with Hulu, I think I would have dropped it.
>
>>> Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (theatrical) - Based on the
>>> popular board game a group of thieves must face dungeons and dragons in
>>> order to steal something valuable and save the day. I guess it was OK.
>>> There were a couple of highlights with the evil wizard always being
>>> great when on screen. And I loved a certain cameo I wasn't expecting to
>>> see. But once I saw it I wanted more. And I was thinking why couldn't
>>> this movie have been based off of that cameo then it would have been so
>>> much better.
>
>I still want to be able to go back and watch the 2000 flick!!

You can if you come to the gray.

I took a moment to go check on Usenet and saw there is the 2000 movie,
the 2005 movie and the 2012 movie. Wasn't aware that there were three
of them.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)

<u082c2$1o2vb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180724&group=rec.arts.tv#180724

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 18:45:38 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 01:45 UTC

On 2023-04-01 00:35:19 +0000, shawn said:

> On Fri, 31 Mar 2023 15:58:54 -0700, Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
> wrote:

>> I still want to be able to go back and watch the 2000 flick!!
>
> You can if you come to the gray.
>
> I took a moment to go check on Usenet and saw there is the 2000 movie,
> the 2005 movie and the 2012 movie. Wasn't aware that there were three
> of them.

I haven't tried the binaries groups in years. I've certiably never
tried downloading from them using Unison. Also, I'm not sure if ES goes
that far back. I know GigaNews had, like, complete Usent archives. Not
sure about ES...

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)

<n86f2ilha5dfsfkgu80h6dgmsbblu9a838@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180730&group=rec.arts.tv#180730

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 22:44:54 -0400
 by: shawn - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 02:44 UTC

On Fri, 31 Mar 2023 18:45:38 -0700, Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>On 2023-04-01 00:35:19 +0000, shawn said:
>
>> On Fri, 31 Mar 2023 15:58:54 -0700, Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> I still want to be able to go back and watch the 2000 flick!!
>>
>> You can if you come to the gray.
>>
>> I took a moment to go check on Usenet and saw there is the 2000 movie,
>> the 2005 movie and the 2012 movie. Wasn't aware that there were three
>> of them.
>
>I haven't tried the binaries groups in years. I've certiably never
>tried downloading from them using Unison. Also, I'm not sure if ES goes
>that far back. I know GigaNews had, like, complete Usent archives. Not
>sure about ES...

Does ES even have the binaries groups? I'm on Easynews and used their
web services as it was the easiest way to find them. Yeah, they are
hidden behind obfuscated names so you aren't going to find them
easily. If you want to get them let me know and I can put together an
NZB header file that you can use to download the proper bits.

Okay, that's not entirely true as it does seem that some files have
the proper names so a search would find them. Check for
alt.binaries.hdtv.german (Yes, it is a german group but the files
include English audio as well as the german.) Fair warning these are
multi-gigabyte files 1=2 (for the lesser quality) or 11GB for the
better quality, 2nd movie = 10GB or 2 GB and 3rd movie = 2GB

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)

<u086vg$1onc9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180732&group=rec.arts.tv#180732

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 20:04:16 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 03:04 UTC

On 2023-04-01 02:44:54 +0000, shawn said:

> On Fri, 31 Mar 2023 18:45:38 -0700, Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
> wrote:
>> On 2023-04-01 00:35:19 +0000, shawn said:

>>> You can if you come to the gray.
>>>
>>> I took a moment to go check on Usenet and saw there is the 2000 movie,
>>> the 2005 movie and the 2012 movie. Wasn't aware that there were three
>>> of them.
>>
>> I haven't tried the binaries groups in years. I've certiably never
>> tried downloading from them using Unison. Also, I'm not sure if ES goes
>> that far back. I know GigaNews had, like, complete Usent archives. Not
>> sure about ES...
>
> Does ES even have the binaries groups?

Now that you mention it, I don't ES does. Not sure about AIOE, but I
think they don't either.

> I'm on Easynews and used their
> web services as it was the easiest way to find them. Yeah, they are
> hidden behind obfuscated names so you aren't going to find them
> easily. If you want to get them let me know and I can put together an
> NZB header file that you can use to download the proper bits.
>
> Okay, that's not entirely true as it does seem that some files have
> the proper names so a search would find them. Check for
> alt.binaries.hdtv.german (Yes, it is a german group but the files
> include English audio as well as the german.) Fair warning these are
> multi-gigabyte files 1=2 (for the lesser quality) or 11GB for the
> better quality, 2nd movie = 10GB or 2 GB and 3rd movie = 2GB

Interesting.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)

<734593299.702022987.253423.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180738&group=rec.arts.tv#180738

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 23:36:29 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 06:36 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-03-31 20:49:11 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> This on Disney+?
>>
>> Yes, although they hi[d] it well. I finally had to search within the app for
>> it. Found seven episodes. But I couldn’t find them grouped anywhere or
>> anything that told you if there’s a viewing order.
>
> Two things are true about Disney+ is true: 1) Either their (movie)
> selection is *crap*, or 2) The app is *terrible* at picking out their
> good stuff. (Or both!)
>
> But every time I go to their 'Movie' pane, I'm amazed out how meager
> the selection of "featured" movies, esp. is if you discount SW and
> Marvel. So either they truly have nothing. Or the app isn't showing me
> movies I actually want to see.
>
> For my money, Disney+ is the most useless streamer (not including the
> streamers I haven't looked at, like Pee+ or Starz). If it wasn't
> bundled with Hulu, I think I would have dropped it.

I actually did drop it after the first year at a deep discount and a couple
days later picked it up from another direction free.

They don’t like 4:3 material. Until they added the Zorro series (finally) I
think one copy of Steamboat Willie was the only thing they had in 4: 3.
This keeps them from adding stuff like hundreds and hundreds of hours of
world of Disney.

>>> Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (theatrical) - Based on the
>>> popular board game a group of thieves must face dungeons and dragons in
>>> order to steal something valuable and save the day. I guess it was OK.
>>> There were a couple of highlights with the evil wizard always being
>>> great when on screen. And I loved a certain cameo I wasn't expecting to
>>> see. But once I saw it I wanted more. And I was thinking why couldn't
>>> this movie have been based off of that cameo then it would have been so
>>> much better.
>
> I still want to be able to go back and watch the 2000 flick!!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)

<426089690.702023250.759222.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180739&group=rec.arts.tv#180739

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 23:36:30 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 06:36 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-04-01 02:44:54 +0000, shawn said:
>
>> On Fri, 31 Mar 2023 18:45:38 -0700, Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> I haven't tried the binaries groups in years. I've certiably never
>>> tried downloading from them using Unison. Also, I'm not sure if ES goes
>>> that far back. I know GigaNews had, like, complete Usent archives. Not
>>> sure about ES...
>>
>> Does ES even have the binaries groups?
>
> Now that you mention it, I don't ES does. Not sure about AIOE, but I
> think they don't either.
>
>> I'm on Easynews and used their
>> web services as it was the easiest way to find them. Yeah, they are
>> hidden behind obfuscated names so you aren't going to find them
>> easily. If you want to get them let me know and I can put together an
>> NZB header file that you can use to download the proper bits.
>>
>> Okay, that's not entirely true as it does seem that some files have
>> the proper names so a search would find them. Check for
>> alt.binaries.hdtv.german (Yes, it is a german group but the files
>> include English audio as well as the german.) Fair warning these are
>> multi-gigabyte files 1=2 (for the lesser quality) or 11GB for the
>> better quality, 2nd movie = 10GB or 2 GB and 3rd movie = 2GB
>
> Interesting.

I’d let you have my easy news account but I don’t know how the hell I’d get
the information to give to you.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)

<1578940732.702023300.303900.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180740&group=rec.arts.tv#180740

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 23:36:31 -0700

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>> On 3/31/2023 7:00 AM, shawn wrote:
>>> I watched
>>>
>>> THE NIGHT AGENT ep4
>>>

>> I plan to get to this eventually.
>>

>>> I also finished up THE CONSULTANT, a strange 8 episode series from
>>> Amazon about a consultant who comes into a mobile game studio and then
>>> proceeds to create havoc. While technically a drama about a consultant
>>> helping out a struggling game studio there's much more going on. With
>>> the strange behavior of the consultant and his odd behaviors. Then
>>> there's the way he treats the work force much like play things a bit
>>> like in NEEDFUL THINGS
>>>

>> I still need to finish this.
>>

>>> I also finished up the MARVEL RISING series of cartoons that show a
>>> bunch of teen super heroes coming together to learn to work together
>>> to take out criminals. The show revolves mostly around Miss Marvel and
>>> Squirrel Girl with others joining in like Quake (voiced by Chloe
>>> Bennett) and Ghost Spider.
>>>

>> This on Disney+?
>
> Yes, although they hit it well. I finally had to search within the app for
> it. Found seven episodes. But I couldn’t find them grouped anywhere or
> anything that told you if there’s a viewing order.
>
> In the order they came up in search:
>
> SECRET WARRIORS doesn’t say anything about the other episodes
>
> INITIATION has an episodes click to six very short installments about ghost
> spider.
>
> CHASING GHOSTS
>
> PLAYING WITH FIRE.
>
> BATTLE OF THE BANDS.
>
> HEART OF IRON RiRi Williams (iron heart) joins the secret warriors,
>
> OPERATION SHURI
>
> About a3 of the way into Ian’s Wikipedia article they list under “specials”
> the closest thing I found to watching order. (At the very least, its
> release order)
>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Rising?wprov=sfti1
>
> Marvel Rising: Initiation (a series of four minute shorts released first)
>
> Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors (main entry)
>
> Follow up specials:
>
> Marvel Rising: Chasing Ghosts
>
> Marvel Rising: Heart of Iron
>
> Marvel Rising: Battle of the Bands
>
> Marvel Rising: Operation Shuri
>
> Marvel Rising: Playing with Fire
>

> I swear, it’s like they don’t want us to watch these

And, now I know why
I watched the INITIATION shorts and the SECRET WARRIORS “movie“.

This is absolutely terrible stuff.

It’s cheap knock off anime style, mostly hand, drawn five year old stuff
aimed at tween girls with lots of woke messages and LBGQTMOUSE stuff.

Chloe Bennet does the voice of Daisy Quake, although you would never
recognize the character since they cut off her hair and apparently her
breasts.

The writer is an idiot, doing stuff like having a Kree battle cruiser
hiding behind an old communication satellite.

They talk about Tony Stark, but he never shows up probably because the show
does not like white men.

To be avoided.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)

<dtof2i1g5kb8nj4n3e3de62as5uv9bj8rr@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180741&group=rec.arts.tv#180741

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2023 03:59:42 -0400
 by: shawn - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 07:59 UTC

On Fri, 31 Mar 2023 23:36:29 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> Yes, although they hi[d] it well. I finally had to search within the app for
>>> it. Found seven episodes. But I couldn’t find them grouped anywhere or
>>> anything that told you if there’s a viewing order.
>>
>> Two things are true about Disney+ is true: 1) Either their (movie)
>> selection is *crap*, or 2) The app is *terrible* at picking out their
>> good stuff. (Or both!)
>>
>> But every time I go to their 'Movie' pane, I'm amazed out how meager
>> the selection of "featured" movies, esp. is if you discount SW and
>> Marvel. So either they truly have nothing. Or the app isn't showing me
>> movies I actually want to see.
>>
>> For my money, Disney+ is the most useless streamer (not including the
>> streamers I haven't looked at, like Pee+ or Starz). If it wasn't
>> bundled with Hulu, I think I would have dropped it.
>
>I actually did drop it after the first year at a deep discount and a couple
>days later picked it up from another direction free.
>
>They don’t like 4:3 material. Until they added the Zorro series (finally) I
>think one copy of Steamboat Willie was the only thing they had in 4: 3.
>This keeps them from adding stuff like hundreds and hundreds of hours of
>world of Disney.

I get it. They don't want to have to explain to their customers why
the video doesn't look like it should but they have to know how many
customers would love to be able to see that material even if it isn't
in 16:9. Put it behind a couple of barriers that point out that the
material isn't 16:9 resolution and show them how it is going to appear
on their TV so they cut down on the number of complaints, but put that
material out there for people to watch if they want.

>> I still want to be able to go back and watch the 2000 flick!!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)

<57pf2ip7vi7v55o19gotcnc15lkmvsmdtu@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180742&group=rec.arts.tv#180742

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2023 04:10:37 -0400
 by: shawn - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 08:10 UTC

On Fri, 31 Mar 2023 23:36:31 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> I plan to get to this eventually.

>>> I still need to finish this.

>>> This on Disney+?
>>
>> Yes, although they hit it well. I finally had to search within the app for
>> it. Found seven episodes. But I couldn’t find them grouped anywhere or
>> anything that told you if there’s a viewing order.
>>
>> In the order they came up in search:
>>
>> SECRET WARRIORS doesn’t say anything about the other episodes
>>
>> INITIATION has an episodes click to six very short installments about ghost
>> spider.
>>
>> CHASING GHOSTS
>>
>> PLAYING WITH FIRE.
>>
>> BATTLE OF THE BANDS.
>>
>> HEART OF IRON RiRi Williams (iron heart) joins the secret warriors,
>>
>> OPERATION SHURI
>>
>> About a3 of the way into Ian’s Wikipedia article they list under “specials”
>> the closest thing I found to watching order. (At the very least, its
>> release order)
>>

>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Rising?wprov=sfti1
>>
>> Marvel Rising: Initiation (a series of four minute shorts released first)
>>
>> Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors (main entry)
>>
>> Follow up specials:
>>
>> Marvel Rising: Chasing Ghosts
>>
>> Marvel Rising: Heart of Iron
>>
>> Marvel Rising: Battle of the Bands
>>
>> Marvel Rising: Operation Shuri
>>
>> Marvel Rising: Playing with Fire
>>

>> I swear, it’s like they don’t want us to watch these
>

>And, now I know why
>I watched the INITIATION shorts and the SECRET WARRIORS “movie“.
>
>This is absolutely terrible stuff.

I never said it was good stuff.

>It’s cheap knock off anime style, mostly hand, drawn five year old stuff
>aimed at tween girls with lots of woke messages and LBGQTMOUSE stuff.
>
>Chloe Bennet does the voice of Daisy Quake, although you would never
>recognize the character since they cut off her hair and apparently her
>breasts.

Yes, I didn't know it was her at first but then she says both of her
names and it was obvious that they were using her as the sole well
known character from back then. (Yes, I know the other characters
existed in the comics but they were well known on the same level as a
character that had appeared on a national broadcast network for
years.)

>The writer is an idiot, doing stuff like having a Kree battle cruiser
>hiding behind an old communication satellite.
>
>They talk about Tony Stark, but he never shows up probably because the show
>does not like white men.

He does show up but only for one episode and then just so they can
point out that the Iron Man that fought with them wasn't the real Iron
Man as Tony Stark didn't know anything about the fight. They also
created a situation in the episode where the fake Iron Man suit had to
be destroyed and the Iron Heart suit created. I will say they did a
better job of showing Ms Marvel's powers in this set of shows than
they did in last years MISS MARVEL show.

(Still upset at them for setting up a great show in the first two
episodes that were fun and concentrated on a young woman just coming
into her powers and then fell into the trap in the next episodes of
having her suddenly know how to expertly utilize her powers and gave
her multiple dangerous enemies to fight and forgot all about the fun
exploration of a girl with powers dealing with the dangers of high
school that they started out with.)
>To be avoided.

Or not. Depends upon your need to fill in all the gaps on the Marvel
universe. Just don't go into it expecting Shakespeare, not even local
high school level Shakespeare.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-03-30 (Thursday)

<u09fv1$1uq57$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180756&group=rec.arts.tv#180756

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 07:43:45 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 14:43 UTC

On 2023-04-01 06:36:29 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> Yes, although they hi[d] it well. I finally had to search within the app for
>>> it. Found seven episodes. But I couldn’t find them grouped anywhere or
>>> anything that told you if there’s a viewing order.
>>
>> Two things are true about Disney+ is true: 1) Either their (movie)
>> selection is *crap*, or 2) The app is *terrible* at picking out their
>> good stuff. (Or both!)
>>
>> But every time I go to their 'Movie' pane, I'm amazed out how meager
>> the selection of "featured" movies, esp. is if you discount SW and
>> Marvel. So either they truly have nothing. Or the app isn't showing me
>> movies I actually want to see.
>>
>> For my money, Disney+ is the most useless streamer (not including the
>> streamers I haven't looked at, like Pee+ or Starz). If it wasn't
>> bundled with Hulu, I think I would have dropped it.
>
> I actually did drop it after the first year at a deep discount and a couple
> days later picked it up from another direction free.
>
> They don’t like 4:3 material. Until they added the Zorro series (finally) I
> think one copy of Steamboat Willie was the only thing they had in 4: 3.
> This keeps them from adding stuff like hundreds and hundreds of hours of
> world of Disney.

Which is pure crap, as "Lois & Clark" on HBO Max shows - L&C is maybe
the best looking thing I've seen on my UHDTV yet! and it's in "4:3"!!