Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. -- Eric Hoffer

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: [OT] New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New Cars, but Drunk Driving Tech Isn’t Ready Yet

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New Cars, buEd Stasiak
+* Re: [OT] New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New Cars, but Drunk Driving Tech Isnshawn
|+* Re: [OT] New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New CarRhino
||`- Re: [OT] New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New Cars, but Drunk Driving Tech IsnBTR1701
|`- Re: [OT] New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New Cars, but Drunk Driving Tech IsnThe Horny Goat
`* Re: [OT] New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New Cars, but Drunk Driving Tech IsnBTR1701
 +- Re: [OT] New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New Cartrotsky
 +* Re: [OT] New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New CarsEd Stasiak
 |`- Re: Re: [OT] New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New CarsAdam H. Kerman
 +- Re: [OT] New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New Cars, but Drunk Driving Tech IsnThe Horny Goat
 `- Re: [OT] New Law Mandates Interlocksanim8rfsk

1
[OT] New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New Cars, but Drunk Driving Tech Isn’t Ready Yet

<3507d167-3c0f-4ed8-a99f-98fc2007340an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180722&group=rec.arts.tv#180722

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 18:28:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [OT]_New_Law_Mandates_Interlocks_on_All_New_Cars,_bu
t_Drunk_Driving_Tech_Isn’t_Ready_Yet
From: edstasia...@gmail.com (Ed Stasiak)
 by: Ed Stasiak - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 01:28 UTC

https://www.thedrive.com/news/new-law-mandates-interlocks-on-all-new-cars-but-drunk-driving-tech-isnt-ready-yet
March 27, 2023

New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New Cars, but Drunk Driving Tech Isn’t Ready Yet

The law says new cars will need to be equipped with some kind of anti-drunk driving device in 3 years, but no one knows what that could be.

Buried deep on Page 135 of a $1 trillion spending bill that mainly adds EV charging infrastructure is a small provision that could make a big deal for automakers. Passed last year, the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act asks that within three years, new cars would be equipped with drunk-driving deterrents automakers don’t yet know how to comply with.

As reported by Automotive News, the technology to passively detect if drivers may be drunk could be years away, although efforts are underway to offer the tech as soon as 2026.

"To be honest, I think it took everybody by surprise, not only in our company, but at all the OEMs and Tier 1's that this legislation appeared," Mike Franchy, North American director of supplier Asahi Kasei told Automotive News.

His company is working on a detector like a breathalyzer to monitor the ethyl alcohol content in the driver’s breath. Similar to an interlock device already on the market, the system could be embedded in a door or steering column. Interlocks on cars have been around for several years and cost thousands to purchase or can be leased for $100 or more per month. Smaller breathalyzer systems are available and can cost as little as $50, although those are portable machines that can’t disable a car’s ignition. Researchers say they may have systems to detect blood-alcohol levels via touch soon, although it’s unclear when that could be available.

Alcohol-related crashes are responsible for 30% of all U.S. traffic deaths, and in 2020, the most recent year data is available, was responsible for killing more than 11,000 people on roads. That number has gone up by 14% since 2019, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Most states have a blood-alcohol content limit of .08 for adult drivers, although some states have a lower threshold for adults and younger drivers or a zero-tolerance policy for teenage and commercial drivers.

Re: [OT] New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New Cars, but Drunk Driving Tech Isn?t Ready Yet

<qo2f2ilnckfb7okbr8kqglmnbnk8v4jmeu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180723&group=rec.arts.tv#180723

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New Cars, but Drunk Driving Tech Isn???t Ready Yet
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 21:43:01 -0400
 by: shawn - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 01:43 UTC

On Fri, 31 Mar 2023 18:28:07 -0700 (PDT), Ed Stasiak
<edstasiak1067@gmail.com> wrote:

>https://www.thedrive.com/news/new-law-mandates-interlocks-on-all-new-cars-but-drunk-driving-tech-isnt-ready-yet
>March 27, 2023
>
>New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New Cars, but Drunk Driving Tech Isn’t Ready Yet
>
>The law says new cars will need to be equipped with some kind of anti-drunk driving device in 3 years, but no one knows what that could be.

I think that a crazy thing to require given the percentage of the
population that is actually drunk driving. I think it's perfectly fine
to require the tech be added to the cars of people who have been
caught drunk driving but this is a case of forcing everyone to deal
with this tech (and any malfunctions of it) regardless of whether they
even drink or not, let alone if they drive while drunk.

I think of myself as the perfect example as I could probably name
every time I've had an alcoholic drink in my life with the last time
being some time in the 90s. It's never been a big part of my life,
probably because of my grand dad who was a mean drunk. Yet if I want
to buy a new vehicle in 3 years I'm supposed to deal with this tech
which likely is going to require you to blow into something to prove
you aren't drunk.

>Buried deep on Page 135 of a $1 trillion spending bill that mainly adds EV charging infrastructure is a small provision that could make a big deal for automakers. Passed last year, the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act asks that within three years, new cars would be equipped with drunk-driving deterrents automakers don’t yet
know how to comply with.

>As reported by Automotive News, the technology to passively detect if drivers may be drunk could be years away, although efforts are underway to offer the tech as soon as 2026.
>
>"To be honest, I think it took everybody by surprise, not only in our company, but at all the OEMs and Tier 1's that this legislation appeared," Mike Franchy, North American director of supplier Asahi Kasei told Automotive News.
>
>His company is working on a detector like a breathalyzer to monitor the ethyl alcohol content in the driver’s breath. Similar to an interlock device already on the market, the system could be embedded in a door or steering column. Interlocks on cars have been around for several years and cost thousands to purchase or can be leased
for $100 or more per month. Smaller breathalyzer systems are available and can cost as little as $50, although those are portable machines that can’t disable a car’s ignition. Researchers say they may have systems to detect blood-alcohol levels via touch soon, although it’s unclear when that could be available.

>Alcohol-related crashes are responsible for 30% of all U.S. traffic deaths, and in 2020, the most recent year data is available, was responsible for killing more than 11,000 people on roads. That number has gone up by 14% since 2019, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Most states have a blood-alcohol
content limit of .08 for adult drivers, although some states have a lower threshold for adults and younger drivers or a zero-tolerance policy for teenage and commercial drivers.

Re: [OT] New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New Cars, but Drunk Driving Tech Isn’t Ready Yet

<TZ2cnUwywc6fErr5nZ2dnZfqn_sAAAAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180726&group=rec.arts.tv#180726

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2023 01:55:14 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 01:55 UTC

On Mar 31, 2023 at 6:28:07 PM PDT, "Ed Stasiak" <edstasiak1067@gmail.com>
wrote:

> https://www.thedrive.com/news/new-law-mandates-interlocks-on-all-new-cars-but-drunk-driving-tech-isnt-ready-yet
> March 27, 2023
>
> New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New Cars, but Drunk Driving Tech Isn’t
> Ready Yet
>
> The law says new cars will need to be equipped with some kind of anti-drunk
> driving device in 3 years, but no one knows what that could be.
>
> Buried deep on Page 135 of a $1 trillion spending bill that mainly adds EV
> charging infrastructure is a small provision that could make a big deal for
> automakers. Passed last year, the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act asks
> that within three years, new cars would be equipped with drunk-driving
> deterrents automakers don’t yet know how to comply with.
>
> As reported by Automotive News, the technology to passively detect if drivers
> may be drunk could be years away, although efforts are underway to offer the
> tech as soon as 2026.
>
> "To be honest, I think it took everybody by surprise, not only in our
> company, but at all the OEMs and Tier 1's that this legislation appeared,"
> Mike Franchy, North American director of supplier Asahi Kasei told Automotive
> News.
>
> His company is working on a detector like a breathalyzer to monitor the ethyl
> alcohol content in the driver’s breath. Similar to an interlock device
> already on the market, the system could be embedded in a door or steering
> column. Interlocks on cars have been around for several years and cost
> thousands to purchase or can be leased for $100 or more per month. Smaller
> breathalyzer systems are available and can cost as little as $50, although
> those are portable machines that can’t disable a car’s ignition. Researchers
> say they may have systems to detect blood-alcohol levels via touch soon,
> although it’s unclear when that could be available.
>
> Alcohol-related crashes are responsible for 30% of all U.S. traffic deaths,
> and in 2020, the most recent year data is available, was responsible for
> killing more than 11,000 people on roads. That number has gone up by 14%
> since 2019, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
> Most states have a blood-alcohol content limit of .08 for adult drivers,
> although some states have a lower threshold for adults and younger drivers or
> a zero-tolerance policy for teenage and commercial drivers.

And when the thing goes on the fritz and thinks you're drunk when you're not
and now you can't start your own car, that'll be exciting, won't it?
Especially if it leave you stranded somewhere dangerous.

The government seems to be on a crusade to turn people's own cars into agents
of the government, able to track your every movement and report it to some
mothership somewhere and now to not even let you start your own car if you
don't meet some pre-approved government standard.

Re: [OT] New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New Cars, but Drunk Driving Tech Isn’t Ready Yet

<LnTVL.448972$PXw7.390332@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180750&group=rec.arts.tv#180750

Subject: Re:_[OT]_New_Law_Mandates_Interlocks_on_All_New_Car
s,_but_Drunk_Driving_Tech_Isn’t_Ready_Yet
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 05:07:38 -0500
 by: trotsky - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 10:07 UTC

On 3/31/23 8:55 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> [...]
>> killing more than 11,000 people on roads. That number has gone up by 14%
>> since 2019, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
>> Most states have a blood-alcohol content limit of .08 for adult drivers,
>> although some states have a lower threshold for adults and younger drivers or
>> a zero-tolerance policy for teenage and commercial drivers.
>
> And when the thing goes on the fritz and thinks you're drunk when you're not
> and now you can't start your own car, that'll be exciting, won't it?
> Especially if it leave you stranded somewhere dangerous.
>
> The government seems to be on a crusade to turn people's own cars into agents
> of the government, able to track your every movement and report it to some
> mothership somewhere and now to not even let you start your own car if you
> don't meet some pre-approved government standard.

Another sockpuppet exchange, how droll.

Re: [OT] New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New Cars, but Drunk Driving Tech Isn’t Ready Yet

<u09ilt$1k99s$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180759&group=rec.arts.tv#180759

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
s,_but_Drunk_Driving_Tech_Isn’t_Ready_Yet
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 11:30:04 -0400
 by: Rhino - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 15:30 UTC

On 2023-03-31 9:43 PM, shawn wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Mar 2023 18:28:07 -0700 (PDT), Ed Stasiak
> <edstasiak1067@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> https://www.thedrive.com/news/new-law-mandates-interlocks-on-all-new-cars-but-drunk-driving-tech-isnt-ready-yet
>> March 27, 2023
>>
>> New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New Cars, but Drunk Driving Tech Isn’t Ready Yet
>>
>> The law says new cars will need to be equipped with some kind of anti-drunk driving device in 3 years, but no one knows what that could be.
>
> I think that a crazy thing to require given the percentage of the
> population that is actually drunk driving. I think it's perfectly fine
> to require the tech be added to the cars of people who have been
> caught drunk driving but this is a case of forcing everyone to deal
> with this tech (and any malfunctions of it) regardless of whether they
> even drink or not, let alone if they drive while drunk.
>
> I think of myself as the perfect example as I could probably name
> every time I've had an alcoholic drink in my life with the last time
> being some time in the 90s. It's never been a big part of my life,
> probably because of my grand dad who was a mean drunk. Yet if I want
> to buy a new vehicle in 3 years I'm supposed to deal with this tech
> which likely is going to require you to blow into something to prove
> you aren't drunk.

I agree with you completely. I've never consumed alcohol in my life - a
choice I made for myself in my teens - so having to pay extra for a car
to have such a feature seems unfair. Mind you, I've never bought a new
car and doubt I ever will. Also, if I resell a car I've owned, the next
owner might appreciate having the breathalyzer-ish device to reduce the
likelihood of their driving impaired.

can even imagine lending my car to someone and appreciating that the car
verified they were sober before starting the car. I once lent my first
car to a friend, Dave, and only afterwards found out that the meeting
he'd had to go to was with the car licensing people to explain why he
shouldn't lose his license due to his high number of demerit points. A
few weeks later, I had a collision with that same car and was shocked to
find an empty beer bottle roll into the footwell; apparently, Dave had
had a "road beer" while he had the car and hadn't ditched the empty when
he was finished. I tossed the empty bottle into the ditch before the
police could arrive, assuming they wouldn't take my word for it that it
wasn't mine, although I would have blown zero on the breathalyzer in any
case.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New Cars, but Drunk Driving Tech Isn’t Ready Yet

<BNKcnRDPFJTpzrX5nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180767&group=rec.arts.tv#180767

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (BTR1701)
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2023 15:53:24 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 15:53 UTC

> On 2023-03-31 9:43 PM, shawn wrote:
>> On Fri, 31 Mar 2023 18:28:07 -0700 (PDT), Ed Stasiak
>> <edstasiak1067@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.thedrive.com/news/new-law-mandates-interlocks-on-all-new-cars-but-drunk-driving-tech-isnt-ready-yet
>>> March 27, 2023
>>>
>>> New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New Cars, but Drunk Driving Tech Isn’t Ready Yet
>>>
>>> The law says new cars will need to be equipped with some kind of
>>> anti-drunk driving device in 3 years, but no one knows what that could be.
>>
>> I think that a crazy thing to require given the percentage of the
>> population that is actually drunk driving. I think it's perfectly fine
>> to require the tech be added to the cars of people who have been
>> caught drunk driving but this is a case of forcing everyone to deal
>> with this tech (and any malfunctions of it) regardless of whether they
>> even drink or not, let alone if they drive while drunk.
>>
>> I think of myself as the perfect example as I could probably name
>> every time I've had an alcoholic drink in my life with the last time
>> being some time in the 90s. It's never been a big part of my life,
>> probably because of my grand dad who was a mean drunk. Yet if I want
>> to buy a new vehicle in 3 years I'm supposed to deal with this tech
>> which likely is going to require you to blow into something to prove
>> you aren't drunk.
>
> I agree with you completely. I've never consumed alcohol in my life - a
> choice I made for myself in my teens - so having to pay extra for a car
> to have such a feature seems unfair. Mind you, I've never bought a new
> car and doubt I ever will. Also, if I resell a car I've owned, the next
> owner might appreciate having the breathalyzer-ish device to reduce the
> likelihood of their driving impaired.

If this is implemented, watch for there to be a bunch of YouTube videos
that will teach you how to hack the tech and disable it.

Re: [OT] New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New Cars, but Drunk Driving Tech Isn’t Ready Yet

<8d0a4f91-2a1e-4440-ad2e-752b1dc6bfe5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180769&group=rec.arts.tv#180769

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 09:20:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_[OT]_New_Law_Mandates_Interlocks_on_All_New_Cars
,_but_Drunk_Driving_Tech_Isn’t_Ready_Yet
From: edstasia...@gmail.com (Ed Stasiak)
 by: Ed Stasiak - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 16:20 UTC

> BTR1701
> > Ed Stasiak
> >
> > New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New Cars, but Drunk Driving Tech Isn’t
> > Ready Yet
>
> And when the thing goes on the fritz and thinks you're drunk when you're not
> and now you can't start your own car, that'll be exciting, won't it?
> Especially if it leave you stranded somewhere dangerous.

Yeah but that's ok, because the car will immediately call the cops on your ass
for being a deadly drunk driver and they'll safely haul you off jail for the night.

Re: [OT] New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New Cars, but Drunk Driving Tech Isn?t Ready Yet

<9bog2iljisuu2ij73jqct1ilaemnrajur3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180770&group=rec.arts.tv#180770

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2023 09:55:16 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 16:55 UTC

On Fri, 31 Mar 2023 21:43:01 -0400, shawn
<nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

>I think of myself as the perfect example as I could probably name
>every time I've had an alcoholic drink in my life with the last time
>being some time in the 90s. It's never been a big part of my life,
>probably because of my grand dad who was a mean drunk. Yet if I want
>to buy a new vehicle in 3 years I'm supposed to deal with this tech
>which likely is going to require you to blow into something to prove
>you aren't drunk.

Ditto - I had one experience when I was driving well beyond what I
should have been and 35 years later never been tempted to do an
encore.

I agree having one of these attached to your vehicle should be
mandatory for a first conviction DUI for a period of time (I'd suggest
5 years) possibly with the price of an installation being in lieu of a
fine. (Around here a first offence DUI that doesn't involve an MVA is
about $300)

Re: [OT] New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New Cars, but Drunk Driving Tech Isn?t Ready Yet

<fgog2ihvid0nsmc7bli1j4uot084glkkfl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180771&group=rec.arts.tv#180771

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2023 09:56:14 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 16:56 UTC

On Sat, 01 Apr 2023 01:55:14 +0000, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>The government seems to be on a crusade to turn people's own cars into agents
>of the government, able to track your every movement and report it to some
>mothership somewhere and now to not even let you start your own car if you
>don't meet some pre-approved government standard.

Again - I don't favor these across the board but do think it
reasonable in the case of DUI offenders

Re: Re: [OT] New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New Cars, but Drunk Driving Tech Isn’t Ready Yet

<u09qf5$20h6b$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180784&group=rec.arts.tv#180784

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
,_but_Drunk_Driving_Tech_Isn’t_Ready_Yet
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 17:43:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 17:43 UTC

Ed Stasiak <edstasiak1067@gmail.com> wrote:
>> BTR1701
>> > Ed Stasiak
>> >
>> > New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New Cars, but Drunk Driving Tech Isn’t
>> > Ready Yet
>>
>> And when the thing goes on the fritz and thinks you're drunk when you're not
>> and now you can't start your own car, that'll be exciting, won't it?
>> Especially if it leave you stranded somewhere dangerous.
>
>Yeah but that's ok, because the car will immediately call the cops on your ass
>for being a deadly drunk driver and they'll safely haul you off jail for
>the night.

Nah. The vehicle will take control and drive there directly.

Re: [OT] New Law Mandates Interlocks on All New Cars, but Drunk Driving Tech Isn’t Ready Yet

<801456745.702062590.395607.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180789&group=rec.arts.tv#180789

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] New Law Mandates Interlocks
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 11:29:55 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 18:29 UTC

> [...]
> killing more than 11,000 people on roads. That number has gone up by 14%
> since 2019, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
> Most states have a blood-alcohol content limit of .08 for adult drivers,
> although some states have a lower threshold for adults and younger drivers or
> a zero-tolerance policy for teenage and commercial drivers.
>
> And when the thing goes on the fritz and thinks you're drunk when you're not
and now you can't start your own car, that'll be exciting, won't it?
Especially if it leave you stranded somewhere dangerous.

> The government seems to be on a crusade to turn people's own cars into agents
of the government, able to track your every movement and report it to some
mothership somewhere and now to not even let you start your own car if you
don't meet some pre-approved government standard.

They’re trying to turn Plymouth Fury into Nick Fury!