Acting is an art which consists of keeping the audience from coughing.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Religious imposition on public life, not just for Christians

SubjectAuthor
* Religious imposition on public life, not just for ChristiansAdam H. Kerman
+* Re: Religious imposition on public life, not just for Christiansshawn
> [...]
| +- Re: Religious imposition on public life, not just for Christianstrotsky
| `- Re: Religious imposition on public life, not just for ChristiansRhino
+* Re: Religious imposition on public life, not just for ChristiansRhino
|+* Re: Religious imposition on public life, not just for ChristiansBTR1701
||`* Re: Religious imposition on public life, not just for ChristiansRhino
|| `- Re: Religious imposition on public life, not just for ChristiansBTR1701
|+* Re: Religious imposition on public life, not just for Christiansanim8rfsk
||+- Re: Religious imposition on public life, not just for ChristiansRhino
||`* Re: Religious imposition on public life, not just for ChristiansThe Horny Goat
|| `- Re: Religious imposition on public life, not just for Christiansanim8rfsk
|`- Re: Religious imposition on public life, not just for ChristiansThe Horny Goat
+* Re: Religious imposition on public life, not just for Christianschromebook test
|`- Re: Religious imposition on public life, not just for Christianschromebook test
+* Re: Religious imposition on public life, not just for Christianssuper70s
|`- Re: Religious imposition on public life, not just for ChristiansAdam H. Kerman
+* Re: Religious imposition on public life, not just for ChristiansAnonymous
|`- Re: Religious imposition on public life, not just for ChristiansDimensional Traveler
+* Re: Religious imposition on public life, not just for ChristiansEd Stasiak
|`- Re: Religious imposition on public life, not just for ChristiansA Friend
`* Christian-style religious imposition on public lifeAdam H. Kerman
 `* Re: Christian-style religious imposition on public lifeThe Horny Goat
  `- Re: Christian-style religious imposition on public lifeAdam H. Kerman

Pages:1234
Re: Religious imposition on public life, not just for Christians

<qvls3i9kpgi47oobo0l5f6g6i55jk4uk14@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=182598&group=rec.arts.tv#182598

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Religious imposition on public life, not just for Christians
References: <9juj3ih15tpnsujvib2dai1g9ruk5m8gdn@4ax.com> <u1efp9$216eq$2@dont-email.me> <u1ek4m$23p6c$1@dont-email.me> <u1eo34$216eq$3@dont-email.me> <g75n3i9ntm5gq9ba38ipk1q2he8ovtmb63@4ax.com> <953681742.703347361.744352.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <ps7o3iha1ge5pg4fivuq2ktacrd04ud9ee@4ax.com> <2008821813.703369643.517980.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <61np3i5p7m533goinsmgu9m8see6qa9haa@4ax.com> <1608489923.703418731.415240.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 01:47:05 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 08:47 UTC

On Mon, 17 Apr 2023 03:17:43 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>> OK I believe you said you were about 3 blocks from a Kingdom Hall so
>> that probably explais it - I'm about 3 miles away (and to get to my
>> place from the Kingdom Hall nearly all of it is uphill and I'm near
>> the top of the hill)
>
>Google maps says it’s a quarter-mile (all flat).
>.2 miles south, 400 feet east.
>One minute in a car.
>Two minutes in a Lyft.
>Six minutes on foot.
>Two minutes on a bicycle.
>Can’t take a train or a plane.

Sounds like you have a pretty good idea where I live but then that's
one of the "joys" of having both a rare first name and last name and
that I live "on the Canadian west coast" aka "in the Vancouver
suburbs".

If you're really determined you can even find a photo of me on the
Chess Federation of Canada website (www.chess.ca) since I've been
national secretary for several years.

What I'm saying somewhat sarcasticcally is that somebody like me has a
different idea of privacy than "Charles Smith" (which is a name of
which I know two people - one a local newspaper publisher and the
other being a family member's boyfriend in the UK)

People with one rare name (either first or last) and one rare name -
like 2 of my 3 children) can hide more easily.

Re: Religious imposition on public life, not just for Christians

<u1m5rd$3f7h0$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=182630&group=rec.arts.tv#182630

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 06:27:09 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 13:27 UTC

On 4/18/2023 1:47 AM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Apr 2023 03:17:43 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>>> OK I believe you said you were about 3 blocks from a Kingdom Hall so
>>> that probably explais it - I'm about 3 miles away (and to get to my
>>> place from the Kingdom Hall nearly all of it is uphill and I'm near
>>> the top of the hill)
>>
>> Google maps says it’s a quarter-mile (all flat).
>> .2 miles south, 400 feet east.
>> One minute in a car.
>> Two minutes in a Lyft.
>> Six minutes on foot.
>> Two minutes on a bicycle.
>> Can’t take a train or a plane.
>>
> Sounds like you have a pretty good idea where I live but then that's
> one of the "joys" of having both a rare first name and last name and
> that I live "on the Canadian west coast" aka "in the Vancouver
> suburbs".

I think that's where the kingdom hall is where HE lives, not you.

> If you're really determined you can even find a photo of me on the
> Chess Federation of Canada website (www.chess.ca) since I've been
> national secretary for several years.
>
> What I'm saying somewhat sarcasticcally is that somebody like me has a
> different idea of privacy than "Charles Smith" (which is a name of
> which I know two people - one a local newspaper publisher and the
> other being a family member's boyfriend in the UK)
>
> People with one rare name (either first or last) and one rare name -
> like 2 of my 3 children) can hide more easily.

Re: Religious imposition on public life, not just for Christians

<1902804843.703550243.641204.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=182680&group=rec.arts.tv#182680

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
<qvls3i9kpgi47oobo0l5f6g6i55jk4uk14@4ax.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 15:39:26 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 22:39 UTC

The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Apr 2023 03:17:43 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>>> OK I believe you said you were about 3 blocks from a Kingdom Hall so
>>> that probably explais it - I'm about 3 miles away (and to get to my
>>> place from the Kingdom Hall nearly all of it is uphill and I'm near
>>> the top of the hill)
>>
>> Google maps says it’s a quarter-mile (all flat).
>> .2 miles south, 400 feet east.
>> One minute in a car.
>> Two minutes in a Lyft.
>> Six minutes on foot.
>> Two minutes on a bicycle.
>> Can’t take a train or a plane.
>>
> Sounds like you have a pretty good idea where I live but then that's
> one of the "joys" of having both a rare first name and last name and
> that I live "on the Canadian west coast" aka "in the Vancouver
> suburbs".
>
> If you're really determined you can even find a photo of me on the
> Chess Federation of Canada website (www.chess.ca) since I've been
> national secretary for several years.
>
> What I'm saying somewhat sarcasticcally is that somebody like me has a
> different idea of privacy than "Charles Smith" (which is a name of
> which I know two people - one a local newspaper publisher and the
> other being a family member's boyfriend in the UK)
>
> People with one rare name (either first or last) and one rare name -
> like 2 of my 3 children) can hide more easily.

L O L.
No, no no no no.
That’s the directions from my house to my kingdom hall!

Re: Religious imposition on public life, not just for Christians

<u1nq0h$3ll1a$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=182702&group=rec.arts.tv#182702

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 21:17:20 -0700
<u1efp9$216eq$2@dont-email.me> <u1ek4m$23p6c$1@dont-email.me>
<u1eo34$216eq$3@dont-email.me> <g75n3i9ntm5gq9ba38ipk1q2he8ovtmb63@4ax.com>
<953681742.703347361.744352.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>
<ps7o3iha1ge5pg4fivuq2ktacrd04ud9ee@4ax.com>
<2008821813.703369643.517980.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>
<61np3i5p7m533goinsmgu9m8see6qa9haa@4ax.com>
<1608489923.703418731.415240.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>
<qvls3i9kpgi47oobo0l5f6g6i55jk4uk14@4ax.com>
<1902804843.703550243.641204.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>
 by: suzeeq - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 04:17 UTC

On 4/18/2023 3:39 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

>>> Google maps says it’s a quarter-mile (all flat).
>>> .2 miles south, 400 feet east.
>>> One minute in a car.
>>> Two minutes in a Lyft.
>>> Six minutes on foot.
>>> Two minutes on a bicycle.
>>> Can’t take a train or a plane.
>>>
>> Sounds like you have a pretty good idea where I live but then that's
>> one of the "joys" of having both a rare first name and last name and
>> that I live "on the Canadian west coast" aka "in the Vancouver
>> suburbs".
>>
>> If you're really determined you can even find a photo of me on the
>> Chess Federation of Canada website (www.chess.ca) since I've been
>> national secretary for several years.
>>
>> What I'm saying somewhat sarcasticcally is that somebody like me has a
>> different idea of privacy than "Charles Smith" (which is a name of
>> which I know two people - one a local newspaper publisher and the
>> other being a family member's boyfriend in the UK)
>>
>> People with one rare name (either first or last) and one rare name -
>> like 2 of my 3 children) can hide more easily.
>>

> L O L.
> No, no no no no.
> That’s the directions from my house to my kingdom hall!

I knew that.... ;)

Re: Religious imposition on public life, not just for Christians

<fpcv3ihehqv6fqo0gstg1j23auecp0ldsl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=182721&group=rec.arts.tv#182721

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
References: <u1eo34$216eq$3@dont-email.me> <g75n3i9ntm5gq9ba38ipk1q2he8ovtmb63@4ax.com> <953681742.703347361.744352.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <ps7o3iha1ge5pg4fivuq2ktacrd04ud9ee@4ax.com> <2008821813.703369643.517980.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <61np3i5p7m533goinsmgu9m8see6qa9haa@4ax.com> <1608489923.703418731.415240.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <qvls3i9kpgi47oobo0l5f6g6i55jk4uk14@4ax.com> <1902804843.703550243.641204.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 02:29:52 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 09:29 UTC

On Tue, 18 Apr 2023 15:39:26 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>L O L.
>No, no no no no.
>That’s the directions from my house to my kingdom hall!

Sorry about that - from the way you wrote it looked llike you had done
a Google search on me and gotten all that about my neighborhood.
(While I was composing that I did the search and found everything in
under 10 minutes)

Yes in our community the Kingdom Hall and the Mormon Church are about
5 minutes driving max away from each other and both about 3 miles from
me on two different arterial streets.

I know we've had Mormons at our door since my late wife spoke of them
(I was at work) but it's been several years - certainly pre-pandemic.
What surprised me was the handwritten JW letter since if it were me I
might have composed such a letter in Word and made 40-50 copies of it.
But they actually MAILED the handwritten letter rather than walking
around the neighborhood like they've been dong for decades.

But then I graduated in 1979 and my graduation gift to myself was an
Apple II. Got the first printer about 2 years later (dot-matrix) and
COULD have done everything I suggested the JWs might have done with my
own gear (i.e. not at a print shop) 40 years ago which is no longer
considered 'high tech'