So... did you ever wonder, do garbagemen take showers before they go to work?

arts / rec.arts.tv / Fox News is Number One

SubjectAuthor
* Fox News is Number OneAdam H. Kerman
+- Re: Fox News is Number Onebruce bowser
+* Re: Fox News is Number Onesuzeeq
|`* Re: Fox News is Number OneAdam H. Kerman
| `* Re: Fox News is Number OneDimensional Traveler
|  +* Re: Fox News is Number Oneanim8rfsk
|  |+* Re: Fox News is Number OneEd Stasiak
|  ||+* Re: Fox News is Number OneAdam H. Kerman
|  |||`* Re: Fox News is Number OneA Friend
|  ||| +- Re: Fox News is Number Onesuper70s
|  ||| `- Re: Fox News is Number OneAdam H. Kerman
|  ||`- Re: Fox News is Number Oneanim8rfsk
|  |`- Re: Fox News is Number OneDimensional Traveler
|  `- Re: Fox News is Number OneAdam H. Kerman
`- Re: Fox News is Number Onetrotsky

1
Fox News is Number One

<u1p1e5$3ie1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=182749&group=rec.arts.tv#182749

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Fox News is Number One
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 15:30:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 15:30 UTC

My congratulations to Fox News for agreeing to pay out the single
largest settlement in a defamation case in the history of the United
States.

Judge Eric Davis, Delaware Superior Court, announced the settlement
Tuesday April 18 2023, and dismissed the jury. The judge does not
approve the settlement.

Fox News said nothing but Dominion Voting Systems said that the
settlement was $787.5 million. This represents about 1/4 of annual
revenue for Fox News.

Law professors suggested that Fox News and parent Fox Corp. had a
stronger incentive to settle than Dominion had to stay out of court. The
judge had been ruling against Fox lawyers. The judge ruled that each of
the statements listed in Dominion's complaint was false. I'm not sure
what facts were left for the jury to decide.

The Toronto Star story was easier to read

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/us/2023/04/18/fox-dominion-reach-settlement-over-false-election-claims.html

although the Wall Street Journal (owned by News Corp, owned by the
Murdoch family, but spun off in 2013 when Murdoch broke up his
conglomerates into smaller conglomerates) broke the story.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fox-news-dominion-defamation-trial-set-to-begin-d5c7293a

The lawsuit from Smartmatic USA, also alleged to have been defamed by
Fox News, is still pending.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/fox-resolves-dominion-case-bigger-election-defamation-lawsuit-looms-2023-04-19/

And Murdoch faces sharehold lawsuits for ruining the value of the
company. Murdoch, age 92, will spend the rest of his life in
depositions.

Re: Fox News is Number One

<40b13835-c970-48f5-8cba-434342dd9208n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=182751&group=rec.arts.tv#182751

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 08:41:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Fox News is Number One
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 15:41 UTC

Fox News Still Faces $2.7 Billion Defamation Lawsuit From Smartmatic
The Washington Post -- April 18, 2023
-- https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2023/04/18/fox-news-smartmatic-defamation-lawsuit/

Re: Fox News is Number One

<u1p4sl$3gndk$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=182756&group=rec.arts.tv#182756

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 09:29:09 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 16:29 UTC

On 4/19/2023 8:30 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> My congratulations to Fox News for agreeing to pay out the single
> largest settlement in a defamation case in the history of the United
> States.
>
> Judge Eric Davis, Delaware Superior Court, announced the settlement
> Tuesday April 18 2023, and dismissed the jury. The judge does not
> approve the settlement.
>
> Fox News said nothing but Dominion Voting Systems said that the
> settlement was $787.5 million. This represents about 1/4 of annual
> revenue for Fox News.
>
> Law professors suggested that Fox News and parent Fox Corp. had a
> stronger incentive to settle than Dominion had to stay out of court. The
> judge had been ruling against Fox lawyers. The judge ruled that each of
> the statements listed in Dominion's complaint was false.

The statements that Fox made, or Dominion made?

> I'm not sure what facts were left for the jury to decide.

Everything the jury would have heard was in the depositions anyway which
were made public
..

> The Toronto Star story was easier to read
>
> https://www.thestar.com/news/world/us/2023/04/18/fox-dominion-reach-settlement-over-false-election-claims.html
>
> although the Wall Street Journal (owned by News Corp, owned by the
> Murdoch family, but spun off in 2013 when Murdoch broke up his
> conglomerates into smaller conglomerates) broke the story.
>
> https://www.wsj.com/articles/fox-news-dominion-defamation-trial-set-to-begin-d5c7293a
>
> The lawsuit from Smartmatic USA, also alleged to have been defamed by
> Fox News, is still pending.
>
> https://www.reuters.com/legal/fox-resolves-dominion-case-bigger-election-defamation-lawsuit-looms-2023-04-19/
>
> And Murdoch faces sharehold lawsuits for ruining the value of the
> company. Murdoch, age 92, will spend the rest of his life in
> depositions.

Re: Fox News is Number One

<u1p8ki$4guu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=182761&group=rec.arts.tv#182761

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 17:33:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 17:33 UTC

suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:
>On 4/19/2023 8:30 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

>>My congratulations to Fox News for agreeing to pay out the single
>>largest settlement in a defamation case in the history of the United
>>States.

>>Judge Eric Davis, Delaware Superior Court, announced the settlement
>>Tuesday April 18 2023, and dismissed the jury. The judge does not
>>approve the settlement.

>>Fox News said nothing but Dominion Voting Systems said that the
>>settlement was $787.5 million. This represents about 1/4 of annual
>>revenue for Fox News.

>>Law professors suggested that Fox News and parent Fox Corp. had a
>>stronger incentive to settle than Dominion had to stay out of court. The
>>judge had been ruling against Fox lawyers. The judge ruled that each of
>>the statements listed in Dominion's complaint was false.

>The statements that Fox made, or Dominion made?

In a lawsuit, the plaintiff makes a complaint. I'm spacing out what the
document is called. You have to make a huge list of everything the other
party did to injure you.

The judge had ruled on pre-trial motions that Fox News had no defense
and that they were precluded from making false claims about what the
First Amendment protects.

>>I'm not sure what facts were left for the jury to decide.

>Everything the jury would have heard was in the depositions anyway which
>were made public
>.

>>. . .

Re: Fox News is Number One

<u1pkmt$6f8r$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=182784&group=rec.arts.tv#182784

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 13:59:11 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 20:59 UTC

On 4/19/2023 10:33 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:
>> On 4/19/2023 8:30 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>
>>> My congratulations to Fox News for agreeing to pay out the single
>>> largest settlement in a defamation case in the history of the United
>>> States.
>
>>> Judge Eric Davis, Delaware Superior Court, announced the settlement
>>> Tuesday April 18 2023, and dismissed the jury. The judge does not
>>> approve the settlement.
>
>>> Fox News said nothing but Dominion Voting Systems said that the
>>> settlement was $787.5 million. This represents about 1/4 of annual
>>> revenue for Fox News.
>
>>> Law professors suggested that Fox News and parent Fox Corp. had a
>>> stronger incentive to settle than Dominion had to stay out of court. The
>>> judge had been ruling against Fox lawyers. The judge ruled that each of
>>> the statements listed in Dominion's complaint was false.
>
>> The statements that Fox made, or Dominion made?
>
> In a lawsuit, the plaintiff makes a complaint. I'm spacing out what the
> document is called. You have to make a huge list of everything the other
> party did to injure you.
>
> The judge had ruled on pre-trial motions that Fox News had no defense
> and that they were precluded from making false claims about what the
> First Amendment protects.

Dominion was the plaintiff who filed the complaint. Fox filed various
opposition papers. I haven't followed the case in great detail but what
I have read the judge was ruling that Fox was making false statements.

dirty old man.

Re: Fox News is Number One

<464250858.703632340.321682.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=182792&group=rec.arts.tv#182792

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 14:27:04 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 21:27 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 4/19/2023 10:33 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>> suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:

>>> The statements that Fox made, or Dominion made?
>>
>> In a lawsuit, the plaintiff makes a complaint. I'm spacing out what the
>> document is called. You have to make a huge list of everything the other
>> party did to injure you.
>>
>> The judge had ruled on pre-trial motions that Fox News had no defense
>> and that they were precluded from making false claims about what the
>> First Amendment protects.
>>
> Dominion was the plaintiff who filed the complaint. Fox filed various
> opposition papers. I haven't followed the case in great detail but what
> I have read the judge was ruling that Fox was making false statements.

So why can’t we sue CNN and MSNBC?

Re: Fox News is Number One

<18e908ea-9e92-473a-bbbd-5ad174f28a86n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=182793&group=rec.arts.tv#182793

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 14:32:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: edstasia...@gmail.com (Ed Stasiak)
 by: Ed Stasiak - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 21:32 UTC

> anim8rfsk
> > Dimensional Traveler
> >
> > Dominion was the plaintiff who filed the complaint. Fox filed various
> > opposition papers. I haven't followed the case in great detail but what
> > I have read the judge was ruling that Fox was making false statements.
>
> So why can’t we sue CNN and MSNBC?

Listening to talk radio today at lunch and they were saying we can sue
CNN, MSNBC, etc. and they _will_ end up getting sued all the time due
to this lawsuit.

Re: Fox News is Number One

<u1po0r$7217$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=182798&group=rec.arts.tv#182798

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 21:55:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 21:55 UTC

Ed Stasiak <edstasiak1067@gmail.com> wrote:

>>anim8rfsk
>>>Dimensional Traveler

>>>Dominion was the plaintiff who filed the complaint. Fox filed various
>>>opposition papers. I haven't followed the case in great detail but what
>>>I have read the judge was ruling that Fox was making false statements.

>>So why can't we sue CNN and MSNBC?

>Listening to talk radio today at lunch and they were saying we can sue
>CNN, MSNBC, etc. and they _will_ end up getting sued all the time due
>to this lawsuit.

Who the fuck is "they" who were saying who are totally ignorant fucks about
the law? This doesn't broaden the Sullivan standard, which is pretty hard
to overcome.

Re: Fox News is Number One

<u1po6b$7217$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=182799&group=rec.arts.tv#182799

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 21:58:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 21:58 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>On 4/19/2023 10:33 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>> suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:

>>> The statements that Fox made, or Dominion made?
>>
>> In a lawsuit, the plaintiff makes a complaint. I'm spacing out what the
>> document is called. You have to make a huge list of everything the other
>> party did to injure you.
>>
>> The judge had ruled on pre-trial motions that Fox News had no defense
>> and that they were precluded from making false claims about what the
>> First Amendment protects.
>>
>Dominion was the plaintiff who filed the complaint. Fox filed various
>opposition papers. I haven't followed the case in great detail but what
>I have read the judge was ruling that Fox was making false statements.

It's both. The judge ruled that all of the statements made by Fox News
listed in the plaintiff's defamation complaint were false. Also, the
judge ruled that Fox News could not defend itself by making legal
arguments that these false statements were protected by the First Amendment.

Fox News was left with no defense, so they settled.

Re: Fox News is Number One

<190420231808281614%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=182804&group=rec.arts.tv#182804

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 18:08:28 -0400
 by: A Friend - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 22:08 UTC

In article <u1po0r$7217$1@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> Ed Stasiak <edstasiak1067@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >>anim8rfsk

> >>So why can't we sue CNN and MSNBC?
>
> >Listening to talk radio today at lunch and they were saying we can sue
> >CNN, MSNBC, etc. and they _will_ end up getting sued all the time due
> >to this lawsuit.
>
> Who the fuck is "they" who were saying who are totally ignorant fucks about
> the law? This doesn't broaden the Sullivan standard, which is pretty hard
> to overcome.

They can pester those news outlets with lawsuits indefinitely. They
don't have to win.

Re: Fox News is Number One

<super70s-14B63F.17252919042023@reader.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=182805&group=rec.arts.tv#182805

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 17:25:29 -0500
 by: super70s - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 22:25 UTC

In article <190420231808281614%nope@noway.com>,
A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

> In article <u1po0r$7217$1@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> > >Listening to talk radio today at lunch and they were saying we can sue
> > >CNN, MSNBC, etc. and they _will_ end up getting sued all the time due
> > >to this lawsuit.
> >
> > Who the fuck is "they" who were saying who are totally ignorant fucks about
> > the law? This doesn't broaden the Sullivan standard, which is pretty hard
> > to overcome.
>

> They can pester those news outlets with lawsuits indefinitely. They
> don't have to win.

CNN has been sued for defamation several times, including the Kentucky
teenager who sued over their coverage of his encounter with a Native
American at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington. It was settled out of
court for an undisclosed amount. Alan Dershowitz and more recently Trump
have also sued them for defamation.

Re: Fox News is Number One

<u1pvee$83gs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=182809&group=rec.arts.tv#182809

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 17:02:25 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 00:02 UTC

On 4/19/2023 2:27 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> In a lawsuit, the plaintiff makes a complaint. I'm spacing out what the
>>> document is called. You have to make a huge list of everything the other
>>> party did to injure you.
>>>
>>> The judge had ruled on pre-trial motions that Fox News had no defense
>>> and that they were precluded from making false claims about what the
>>> First Amendment protects.
>>>
>> Dominion was the plaintiff who filed the complaint. Fox filed various
>> opposition papers. I haven't followed the case in great detail but what
>> I have read the judge was ruling that Fox was making false statements.
>>

> So why can’t we sue CNN and MSNBC?

Because you don't have any evidence?

dirty old man.

Re: Fox News is Number One

<257263846.703641947.069336.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=182815&group=rec.arts.tv#182815

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 17:34:45 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 00:34 UTC

Ed Stasiak <edstasiak1067@gmail.com> wrote:
>> anim8rfsk
>>> Dimensional Traveler
>>>
>>> Dominion was the plaintiff who filed the complaint. Fox filed various
>>> opposition papers. I haven't followed the case in great detail but what
>>> I have read the judge was ruling that Fox was making false statements.
>>
>> So why can’t we sue CNN and MSNBC?
>
> Listening to talk radio today at lunch and they were saying we can sue
> CNN, MSNBC, etc. and they _will_ end up getting sued all the time due
> to this lawsuit.

Yay

Re: Fox News is Number One

<u1q3v8$8k1i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=182819&group=rec.arts.tv#182819

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 01:19:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 01:19 UTC

A Friend wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>>Listening to talk radio today at lunch and they were saying we can sue
>>>CNN, MSNBC, etc. and they _will_ end up getting sued all the time due
>>>to this lawsuit.

>>Who the fuck is "they" who were saying who are totally ignorant fucks about
>>the law? This doesn't broaden the Sullivan standard, which is pretty hard
>>to overcome.

>They can pester those news outlets with lawsuits indefinitely. They
>don't have to win.

Nothing has changed. This isn't precedent-setting. It won't be any
easier to survive the motion to dismiss.

Re: Fox News is Number One

<9970M.1314596$t5W7.1199129@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=182865&group=rec.arts.tv#182865

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 03:58:44 -0500
 by: trotsky - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 08:58 UTC

On 4/19/23 10:30 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> My congratulations to Fox News for agreeing to pay out the single
> largest settlement in a defamation case in the history of the United
> States.
>
> Judge Eric Davis, Delaware Superior Court, announced the settlement
> Tuesday April 18 2023, and dismissed the jury. The judge does not
> approve the settlement.
>
> Fox News said nothing but Dominion Voting Systems said that the
> settlement was $787.5 million. This represents about 1/4 of annual
> revenue for Fox News.
>
> Law professors suggested that Fox News and parent Fox Corp. had a
> stronger incentive to settle than Dominion had to stay out of court. The
> judge had been ruling against Fox lawyers. The judge ruled that each of
> the statements listed in Dominion's complaint was false. I'm not sure
> what facts were left for the jury to decide.
>
> The Toronto Star story was easier to read
>
> https://www.thestar.com/news/world/us/2023/04/18/fox-dominion-reach-settlement-over-false-election-claims.html
>
> although the Wall Street Journal (owned by News Corp, owned by the
> Murdoch family, but spun off in 2013 when Murdoch broke up his
> conglomerates into smaller conglomerates) broke the story.
>
> https://www.wsj.com/articles/fox-news-dominion-defamation-trial-set-to-begin-d5c7293a
>
> The lawsuit from Smartmatic USA, also alleged to have been defamed by
> Fox News, is still pending.
>
> https://www.reuters.com/legal/fox-resolves-dominion-case-bigger-election-defamation-lawsuit-looms-2023-04-19/
>
> And Murdoch faces sharehold lawsuits for ruining the value of the
> company. Murdoch, age 92, will spend the rest of his life in
> depositions.

They smell more like number 2.