Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: The SnARK (Adjacent!) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be Awake" (S01E04): 02-22-2023

SubjectAuthor
* The SnARK (Adjacent!) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be Awake" (S01E04): 02-22-2023Ian J. Ball
+* Re: The SnARK (Adjacent!) - "We Weren't Supposed to Beanim8rfsk
|`* Re: The SnARK (Adjacent!) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be Awake" (S01E04): 02-22-20shawn
| +- Re: The SnARK (Adjacent!) - "We Weren't Supposed to Beanim8rfsk
| `* Re: The SnARK (Adjacent!) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be Awake" (S01E04): 02-22-20BTR1701
|  `- Re: The SnARK (Adjacent!) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be Awake" (S01E04): 02-22-20Ubiquitous
+* Re: The SnARK (Adjacent!) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be Awake" (S01E04): 02-22-20shawn
|+* Re: The SnARK (Adjacent!) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be Awake" (S01E04): 02-22-20Ian J. Ball
||`- Re: The SnARK (Adjacent!) - "We Weren't Supposed to Beanim8rfsk
|`- Re: The SnARK (Adjacent!) - "We Weren't Supposed to Beanim8rfsk
`- Re: The SnARK (Adjacent!) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be Awake"marika

1
The SnARK (Adjacent!) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be Awake" (S01E04): 02-22-2023

<ttdi1k$2kf2s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176885&group=rec.arts.tv#176885

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: The SnARK (Adjacent!) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be Awake" (S01E04): 02-22-2023
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 09:55:00 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 17:55 UTC

I guess I'm covering this week for Anim.

Note: This will be "less snarky", and just "more critical", than the usual!

The Ark (recorded) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be Awake" (ep. #4).
Like I said in the followup to Arthur's WDYW? post on this ep -
Episode #3 was dumb but fun; episode #4 was just dumb.
As Anim said, this was a loose("lose"?!) take on "Star Trek's" "The
Naked Time", just not nearly as good, and mostly devoid of humor - in
this one, the crew start hallucinating one-by-one (except, of course,
for the android(?!) Lt. Garnet). Dr. Kabir hallucinates her mentor -
Dr. Albert Hall. Eva Markovic unsurprisingly hallucinates her dead
lover, Harris. Lane hallucinates an EVOL!!1! version of Brice who wants
to eliminate Garnet!
In the episode's only amusing bit, the crop nerd Angus, hallucinates
a slutty version of Garnet, who is made up like a whore, and who sports
a plunging neckline nearly down to her navel! This hallucination
actually allows Angus to come up with the answer - it's in the water!
(Like, *duh*!!) Angus seems to be fighting his lust for Garnet as best
he can.
Oh, this episode does confirm that "glasses girl" is actually cute
without the glasses. Also, it may have been my imagination, but she was
slightly less irritating in this one. So... progress!
Meanwhile, Lane takes the "murder" footage to Security dude Felix,
who is forced to arrest Sharon Garnet... After a lot of hemming and
hawing, Garnet is forced to reveal to Felix that she is a clone, and
her "sister clone" was the one who committed the murder (and
conveniently, subsequently turned up dead). Felix checks the timeline,
and "Sharon Garnet" could not have committed the murder and is released.
I'm really hoping that Garnet is wrong about her origins, and she
really is an android or a cyborg or something. And even if she's right
- are we supposed to believe there were only two clones?! (I'm also not
convinced that the logs weren't doctored, and that Sharon didn't
actually commit the murder.)
Anyway, the real prooblem with this episode was the execrable "science".
They say the thing in the water causing the hallucinations was "a
molecule smaller than water" (which is why the filters/purification
system didn't catch it) - uh uh: there aren't many molecules smaller
than water. Then they say the hallucinogen is "related to LSD" (aka.
Lysergic acid diethylamide) - OK, so then it's a *big* molecule (LSD
has a molar mass of >300 g/mol!)... Bottom line: They just got this
wrong (RONG!).
Then there's the whole sequence where Angus discovers what shredded
Brice's glove and destroyed the cryochambers - it's a new unknown
"element"!! This is just dumb for a bunch of reasons, starting with the
only unknown elements from here on in will be radioactive (and almost
certainly *short-lived* radioactive!!), and ending with a new element
would almost certainly not do what was shown on-screen.
This causes Angus to posit that the loss of the cryochambers wasn't
an "accident", but may have been an "attack" - an *alien* attack!
Overall, this was dumb episode, without much of a payoff.
Let's hope the next episode is better. (And it's not a good sign
that I don't even remember what the promo for the next episode
promised!)

Re: The SnARK (Adjacent!) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be Awake" (S01E04): 02-22-2023

<966256289.699042075.317378.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176887&group=rec.arts.tv#176887

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: The SnARK (Adjacent!) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be
Awake" (S01E04): 02-22-2023
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 11:36:57 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 18:36 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> I guess I'm covering this week for Anim.

Yay! That was on my list!

> Note: This will be "less snarky", and just "more critical", than the usual!
>
> The Ark (recorded) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be Awake" (ep. #4).
> Like I said in the followup to Arthur's WDYW? post on this ep -
> Episode #3 was dumb but fun; episode #4 was just dumb.
> As Anim said, this was a loose("lose"?!) take on "Star Trek's" "The
> Naked Time", just not nearly as good, and mostly devoid of humor - in
> this one, the crew start hallucinating one-by-one (except, of course,
> for the android(?!) Lt. Garnet). Dr. Kabir hallucinates her mentor -
> Dr. Albert Hall. Eva Markovic unsurprisingly hallucinates her dead
> lover, Harris. Lane hallucinates an EVOL!!1! version of Brice who wants
> to eliminate Garnet!
> In the episode's only amusing bit, the crop nerd Angus, hallucinates
> a slutty version of Garnet, who is made up like a whore, and who sports
> a plunging neckline nearly down to her navel! This hallucination
> actually allows Angus to come up with the answer - it's in the water!
> (Like, *duh*!!) Angus seems to be fighting his lust for Garnet as best
> he can.
> Oh, this episode does confirm that "glasses girl" is actually cute
> without the glasses. Also, it may have been my imagination, but she was
> slightly less irritating in this one. So... progress!
> Meanwhile, Lane takes the "murder" footage to Security dude Felix,
> who is forced to arrest Sharon Garnet... After a lot of hemming and
> hawing, Garnet is forced to reveal to Felix that she is a clone, and
> her "sister clone" was the one who committed the murder (and
> conveniently, subsequently turned up dead). Felix checks the timeline,
> and "Sharon Garnet" could not have committed the murder and is released.

So if she could prove where she was, why did she have to admit she was a
clone first? Doesn’t that make her alibi shakier‘s?

> I'm really hoping that Garnet is wrong about her origins, and she
> really is an android or a cyborg or something. And even if she's right
> - are we supposed to believe there were only two clones?! (I'm also not
> convinced that the logs weren't doctored, and that Sharon didn't
> actually commit the murder.)

So far the doctor is taking the existing medical records word for it, that
the ginger robot is a clone. Be nice if you took some blood from her.

> Anyway, the real prooblem with this episode was the execrable "science".
> They say the thing in the water causing the hallucinations was "a
> molecule smaller than water" (which is why the filters/purification
> system didn't catch it) - uh uh: there aren't many molecules smaller
> than water. Then they say the hallucinogen is "related to LSD" (aka.
> Lysergic acid diethylamide) - OK, so then it's a *big* molecule (LSD
> has a molar mass of >300 g/mol!)... Bottom line: They just got this
> wrong (RONG!).

Also, a comment is coming from alpha Centauri, headed towards earth. So has
somebody extrasolar been seeding the earth with LSD?

> Then there's the whole sequence where Angus discovers what shredded
> Brice's glove and destroyed the cryochambers - it's a new unknown
> "element"!! This is just dumb for a bunch of reasons, starting with the
> only unknown elements from here on in will be radioactive (and almost
> certainly *short-lived* radioactive!!), and ending with a new element
> would almost certainly not do what was shown on-screen.
> This causes Angus to posit that the loss of the cryochambers wasn't
> an "accident", but may have been an "attack" - an *alien* attack!

You know if you wanted to stop the ark why would you invent something that
looks like an accident? Just make the damn thing disappear.

> Overall, this was dumb episode, without much of a payoff.
> Let's hope the next episode is better. (And it's not a good sign
> that I don't even remember what the promo for the next episode
> promised!)

Water reclamation girl: there’s a radiation leak in the (net? nex?)

Shot of ship still going the wrong way back to earth

Black guy: there’s something on this ship! That you need to know about!

Robot, clone ginger: keep quiet we don’t want to create a panic.

Various assorted shots of various assorted people, panicking.

Re: The SnARK (Adjacent!) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be Awake" (S01E04): 02-22-2023

<t7skvhpgupv18t1771vcr32ptdu9dqj00g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176905&group=rec.arts.tv#176905

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 15:57:40 -0500
 by: shawn - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 20:57 UTC

On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 09:55:00 -0800, Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>I guess I'm covering this week for Anim.

So we can expect you to be posting Robin's lists this week?

>Note: This will be "less snarky", and just "more critical", than the usual!
>
>The Ark (recorded) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be Awake" (ep. #4).
> Like I said in the followup to Arthur's WDYW? post on this ep -
>Episode #3 was dumb but fun; episode #4 was just dumb.
> As Anim said, this was a loose("lose"?!) take on "Star Trek's" "The
>Naked Time", just not nearly as good, and mostly devoid of humor - in
>this one, the crew start hallucinating one-by-one (except, of course,
>for the android(?!) Lt. Garnet). Dr. Kabir hallucinates her mentor -
>Dr. Albert Hall. Eva Markovic unsurprisingly hallucinates her dead
>lover, Harris. Lane hallucinates an EVOL!!1! version of Brice who wants
>to eliminate Garnet!
> In the episode's only amusing bit, the crop nerd Angus, hallucinates
>a slutty version of Garnet, who is made up like a whore, and who sports
>a plunging neckline nearly down to her navel! This hallucination
>actually allows Angus to come up with the answer - it's in the water!
>(Like, *duh*!!) Angus seems to be fighting his lust for Garnet as best
>he can.
> Oh, this episode does confirm that "glasses girl" is actually cute
>without the glasses. Also, it may have been my imagination, but she was
>slightly less irritating in this one. So... progress!

She didn't talk as much when her imaginary mother was around.

> Meanwhile, Lane takes the "murder" footage to Security dude Felix,
>who is forced to arrest Sharon Garnet... After a lot of hemming and
>hawing, Garnet is forced to reveal to Felix that she is a clone, and
>her "sister clone" was the one who committed the murder (and
>conveniently, subsequently turned up dead). Felix checks the timeline,
>and "Sharon Garnet" could not have committed the murder and is released.
> I'm really hoping that Garnet is wrong about her origins, and she
>really is an android or a cyborg or something. And even if she's right
>- are we supposed to believe there were only two clones?! (I'm also not
>convinced that the logs weren't doctored, and that Sharon didn't
>actually commit the murder.)

So Ian chooses to be wrong even when we had the real killer admitting
to the murder in this episode. Congrats on being the most Ian that Ian
can be. lol.

> Anyway, the real prooblem with this episode was the execrable "science".
> They say the thing in the water causing the hallucinations was "a
>molecule smaller than water" (which is why the filters/purification
>system didn't catch it) - uh uh: there aren't many molecules smaller
>than water. Then they say the hallucinogen is "related to LSD" (aka.
>Lysergic acid diethylamide) - OK, so then it's a *big* molecule (LSD
>has a molar mass of >300 g/mol!)... Bottom line: They just got this
>wrong (RONG!).

Other writer #1 being involved I don't know why they got it wrong.
There was no need to mention the size of the molecule. Just say there
was some chemical in the water that the filters/purification system
couldn't detect/remove. No need to get into why it couldn't do the
job.

> Then there's the whole sequence where Angus discovers what shredded
>Brice's glove and destroyed the cryochambers - it's a new unknown
>"element"!! This is just dumb for a bunch of reasons, starting with the
>only unknown elements from here on in will be radioactive (and almost
>certainly *short-lived* radioactive!!), and ending with a new element
>would almost certainly not do what was shown on-screen.

It's also amazingly lucky that the new element stops dissolving the
glove and anything non-organic upon exposure to oxygen. Otherwise they
might all be dead now and there would be no show.

> This causes Angus to posit that the loss of the cryochambers wasn't
>an "accident", but may have been an "attack" - an *alien* attack!

Sure, it could have been aliens.. Or it could be they are in a place
that no one has been before and as such face risks that no one has
faced before.. But easier to think it's Aliens.

> Overall, this was dumb episode, without much of a payoff.
> Let's hope the next episode is better. (And it's not a good sign
>that I don't even remember what the promo for the next episode
>promised!)

Re: The SnARK (Adjacent!) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be Awake" (S01E04): 02-22-2023

<djtkvhp8a5p7bqga12appnpfdu628ipmai@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176907&group=rec.arts.tv#176907

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 16:07:31 -0500
 by: shawn - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 21:07 UTC

On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 11:36:57 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> I guess I'm covering this week for Anim.
>
>Yay! That was on my list!
>

>> Note: This will be "less snarky", and just "more critical", than the usual!
>>
>> The Ark (recorded) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be Awake" (ep. #4).
>> Like I said in the followup to Arthur's WDYW? post on this ep -
>> Episode #3 was dumb but fun; episode #4 was just dumb.
>> As Anim said, this was a loose("lose"?!) take on "Star Trek's" "The
>> Naked Time", just not nearly as good, and mostly devoid of humor - in
>> this one, the crew start hallucinating one-by-one (except, of course,
>> for the android(?!) Lt. Garnet). Dr. Kabir hallucinates her mentor -
>> Dr. Albert Hall. Eva Markovic unsurprisingly hallucinates her dead
>> lover, Harris. Lane hallucinates an EVOL!!1! version of Brice who wants
>> to eliminate Garnet!
>> In the episode's only amusing bit, the crop nerd Angus, hallucinates
>> a slutty version of Garnet, who is made up like a whore, and who sports
>> a plunging neckline nearly down to her navel! This hallucination
>> actually allows Angus to come up with the answer - it's in the water!
>> (Like, *duh*!!) Angus seems to be fighting his lust for Garnet as best
>> he can.
>> Oh, this episode does confirm that "glasses girl" is actually cute
>> without the glasses. Also, it may have been my imagination, but she was
>> slightly less irritating in this one. So... progress!
>> Meanwhile, Lane takes the "murder" footage to Security dude Felix,
>> who is forced to arrest Sharon Garnet... After a lot of hemming and
>> hawing, Garnet is forced to reveal to Felix that she is a clone, and
>> her "sister clone" was the one who committed the murder (and
>> conveniently, subsequently turned up dead). Felix checks the timeline,
>> and "Sharon Garnet" could not have committed the murder and is released.
>
>So if she could prove where she was, why did she have to admit she was a
>clone first? Doesn’t that make her alibi shakier‘s?

Could have just said she had an identical twin sister. No need to get
into the clone issue.

>> I'm really hoping that Garnet is wrong about her origins, and she
>> really is an android or a cyborg or something. And even if she's right
>> - are we supposed to believe there were only two clones?! (I'm also not
>> convinced that the logs weren't doctored, and that Sharon didn't
>> actually commit the murder.)
>
>So far the doctor is taking the existing medical records word for it, that
>the ginger robot is a clone. Be nice if you took some blood from her.

Didn't she say that she had been read in on her back story? Can't see
why the people planning this mission would lie to the medical staff
when they could just have easily said nothing to the junior staff. As
other than collecting the performance data there was really no reason
for her to know anything. Especially since the guy behind the cloning
was also on the mission.

>> Anyway, the real prooblem with this episode was the execrable "science".
>> They say the thing in the water causing the hallucinations was "a
>> molecule smaller than water" (which is why the filters/purification
>> system didn't catch it) - uh uh: there aren't many molecules smaller
>> than water. Then they say the hallucinogen is "related to LSD" (aka.
>> Lysergic acid diethylamide) - OK, so then it's a *big* molecule (LSD
>> has a molar mass of >300 g/mol!)... Bottom line: They just got this
>> wrong (RONG!).
>
>Also, a comment is coming from alpha Centauri, headed towards earth. So has
>somebody extrasolar been seeding the earth with LSD?

Comments do what ever they want to do. ;)

>> Then there's the whole sequence where Angus discovers what shredded
>> Brice's glove and destroyed the cryochambers - it's a new unknown
>> "element"!! This is just dumb for a bunch of reasons, starting with the
>> only unknown elements from here on in will be radioactive (and almost
>> certainly *short-lived* radioactive!!), and ending with a new element
>> would almost certainly not do what was shown on-screen.
>> This causes Angus to posit that the loss of the cryochambers wasn't
>> an "accident", but may have been an "attack" - an *alien* attack!
>
>You know if you wanted to stop the ark why would you invent something that
>looks like an accident? Just make the damn thing disappear.

It's also not the wisest thing to attack someone once and not have any
sort of follow up attack.

>> Overall, this was dumb episode, without much of a payoff.
>> Let's hope the next episode is better. (And it's not a good sign
>> that I don't even remember what the promo for the next episode
>> promised!)
>
>Water reclamation girl: there’s a radiation leak in the (net? nex?)
>
>Shot of ship still going the wrong way back to earth

Shot of stars being passed on the way to the nearest star to Earth.

>Black guy: there’s something on this ship! That you need to know about!
>
>Robot, clone ginger: keep quiet we don’t want to create a panic.
>
>Various assorted shots of various assorted people, panicking.

Re: The SnARK (Adjacent!) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be Awake" (S01E04): 02-22-2023

<tte1nn$2m1eq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176915&group=rec.arts.tv#176915

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 14:22:47 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 22:22 UTC

On 2023-02-25 20:57:40 +0000, shawn said:

> On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 09:55:00 -0800, Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> I guess I'm covering this week for Anim.
>
> So we can expect you to be posting Robin's lists this week?

Oh, hell, no! That's way too big a job to tackle.

I'd probably just point you to a Futon Critic link, or something!! :p

>> Note: This will be "less snarky", and just "more critical", than the usual!
>>
>> The Ark (recorded) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be Awake" (ep. #4).
>> Like I said in the followup to Arthur's WDYW? post on this ep -
>> Episode #3 was dumb but fun; episode #4 was just dumb.
>> As Anim said, this was a loose("lose"?!) take on "Star Trek's" "The
>> Naked Time", just not nearly as good, and mostly devoid of humor - in
>> this one, the crew start hallucinating one-by-one (except, of course,
>> for the android(?!) Lt. Garnet). Dr. Kabir hallucinates her mentor -
>> Dr. Albert Hall. Eva Markovic unsurprisingly hallucinates her dead
>> lover, Harris. Lane hallucinates an EVOL!!1! version of Brice who wants
>> to eliminate Garnet!
>> In the episode's only amusing bit, the crop nerd Angus, hallucinates
>> a slutty version of Garnet, who is made up like a whore, and who sports
>> a plunging neckline nearly down to her navel! This hallucination
>> actually allows Angus to come up with the answer - it's in the water!
>> (Like, *duh*!!) Angus seems to be fighting his lust for Garnet as best
>> he can.
>> Oh, this episode does confirm that "glasses girl" is actually cute
>> without the glasses. Also, it may have been my imagination, but she was
>> slightly less irritating in this one. So... progress!
>
> She didn't talk as much when her imaginary mother was around.
>
>> Meanwhile, Lane takes the "murder" footage to Security dude Felix,
>> who is forced to arrest Sharon Garnet... After a lot of hemming and
>> hawing, Garnet is forced to reveal to Felix that she is a clone, and
>> her "sister clone" was the one who committed the murder (and
>> conveniently, subsequently turned up dead). Felix checks the timeline,
>> and "Sharon Garnet" could not have committed the murder and is released.
>> I'm really hoping that Garnet is wrong about her origins, and she
>> really is an android or a cyborg or something. And even if she's right
>> - are we supposed to believe there were only two clones?! (I'm also not
>> convinced that the logs weren't doctored, and that Sharon didn't
>> actually commit the murder.)
>
> So Ian chooses to be wrong even when we had the real killer admitting
> to the murder in this episode. Congrats on being the most Ian that Ian
> can be. lol.

If you mean Ava, that was Cat's hallucination - "real" Ava didn't admit
to anything.

>> Anyway, the real prooblem with this episode was the execrable "science".
>> They say the thing in the water causing the hallucinations was "a
>> molecule smaller than water" (which is why the filters/purification
>> system didn't catch it) - uh uh: there aren't many molecules smaller
>> than water. Then they say the hallucinogen is "related to LSD" (aka.
>> Lysergic acid diethylamide) - OK, so then it's a *big* molecule (LSD
>> has a molar mass of >300 g/mol!)... Bottom line: They just got this
>> wrong (RONG!).
>
> Other writer #1 being involved I don't know why they got it wrong.
> There was no need to mention the size of the molecule. Just say there
> was some chemical in the water that the filters/purification system
> couldn't detect/remove. No need to get into why it couldn't do the
> job.
>
>> Then there's the whole sequence where Angus discovers what shredded
>> Brice's glove and destroyed the cryochambers - it's a new unknown
>> "element"!! This is just dumb for a bunch of reasons, starting with the
>> only unknown elements from here on in will be radioactive (and almost
>> certainly *short-lived* radioactive!!), and ending with a new element
>> would almost certainly not do what was shown on-screen.
>
> It's also amazingly lucky that the new element stops dissolving the
> glove and anything non-organic upon exposure to oxygen. Otherwise they
> might all be dead now and there would be no show.
>
>> This causes Angus to posit that the loss of the cryochambers wasn't
>> an "accident", but may have been an "attack" - an *alien* attack!
>
> Sure, it could have been aliens.. Or it could be they are in a place
> that no one has been before and as such face risks that no one has
> faced before.. But easier to think it's Aliens.

Yeah, the others sure seemed to go to "aliens" almost as quick as Angus
did, when "they were just unlikely hit with an asteroid with the stuff"
is still probably the more likely explanation.

>> Overall, this was dumb episode, without much of a payoff.
>> Let's hope the next episode is better. (And it's not a good sign
>> that I don't even remember what the promo for the next episode
>> promised!)

Re: The SnARK (Adjacent!) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be Awake" (S01E04): 02-22-2023

<1551910399.699058616.479462.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176922&group=rec.arts.tv#176922

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Awake" (S01E04): 02-22-2023
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 16:08:31 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 23:08 UTC

> On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 09:55:00 -0800, Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> I guess I'm covering this week for Anim.
>
> So we can expect you to be posting Robin's lists this week?

Damn, I wish I’d thought of that. Too late!

> [...]
> can be. lol.
>
>> Anyway, the real prooblem with this episode was the execrable "science".
>> They say the thing in the water causing the hallucinations was "a
>> molecule smaller than water" (which is why the filters/purification
>> system didn't catch it) - uh uh: there aren't many molecules smaller
>> than water. Then they say the hallucinogen is "related to LSD" (aka.
>> Lysergic acid diethylamide) - OK, so then it's a *big* molecule (LSD
>> has a molar mass of >300 g/mol!)... Bottom line: They just got this
>> wrong (RONG!).
>
> Other writer #1 being involved I don't know why they got it wrong.
> There was no need to mention the size of the molecule. Just say there
> was some chemical in the water that the filters/purification system
> couldn't detect/remove. No need to get into why it couldn't do the

As if “it’s comet water from another solar system” isn’t enough.

>> Then there's the whole sequence where Angus discovers what shredded
>> Brice's glove and destroyed the cryochambers - it's a new unknown
>> "element"!! This is just dumb for a bunch of reasons, starting with the
>> only unknown elements from here on in will be radioactive (and almost
>> certainly *short-lived* radioactive!!), and ending with a new element
>> would almost certainly not do what was shown on-screen.
>
> It's also amazingly lucky that the new element stops dissolving the
> glove and anything non-organic upon exposure to oxygen. Otherwise they
> might all be dead now and there would be no show.

Why is that lucky?

>> This causes Angus to posit that the loss of the cryochambers wasn't
>> an "accident", but may have been an "attack" - an *alien* attack!
>
> Sure, it could have been aliens.. Or it could be they are in a place
> that no one has been before and as such face risks that no one has
> faced before.. But easier to think it's Aliens.

Especially since they have no evidence of the existence of aliens.

>> Overall, this was dumb episode, without much of a payoff.
>> Let's hope the next episode is better. (And it's not a good sign
>> that I don't even remember what the promo for the next episode
>> promised!)

Re: The SnARK (Adjacent!) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be Awake" (S01E04): 02-22-2023

<1769183178.699058829.487072.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176923&group=rec.arts.tv#176923

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Awake" (S01E04): 02-22-2023
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 16:08:32 -0700
> [...]

>>> would almost certainly not do what was shown on-screen.
>>> This causes Angus to posit that the loss of the cryochambers wasn't
>>> an "accident", but may have been an "attack" - an *alien* attack!
>>
>> You know if you wanted to stop the ark why would you invent something that
>> looks like an accident? Just make the damn thing disappear.
>
> It's also not the wisest thing to attack someone once and not have any
> sort of follow up attack.
>

>>> Overall, this was dumb episode, without much of a payoff.
>>> Let's hope the next episode is better. (And it's not a good sign
>>> that I don't even remember what the promo for the next episode
>>> promised!)
>>
>> Water reclamation girl: there’s a radiation leak in the (net? nex?)
>>
>> Shot of ship still going the wrong way back to earth
>
> Shot of stars being passed on the way to the nearest star to Earth.

It defaulted to descriptive audio for some reason, and the lady describing
it, actually talked about them, watching all those stars have been by
through the big front window of the ship at the end.

>> Black guy: there’s something on this ship! That you need to know about!
>>
>> Robot, clone ginger: keep quiet we don’t want to create a panic.
>>
>> Various assorted shots of various assorted people, panicking.

Re: The SnARK (Adjacent!) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be Awake" (S01E04): 02-22-2023

<603096284.699059000.946542.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176924&group=rec.arts.tv#176924

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Awake" (S01E04): 02-22-2023
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 16:08:33 -0700
> [...]

>>> certainly *short-lived* radioactive!!), and ending with a new element
>>> would almost certainly not do what was shown on-screen.
>>
>> It's also amazingly lucky that the new element stops dissolving the
>> glove and anything non-organic upon exposure to oxygen. Otherwise they
>> might all be dead now and there would be no show.
>>
>>> This causes Angus to posit that the loss of the cryochambers wasn't
>>> an "accident", but may have been an "attack" - an *alien* attack!
>>
>> Sure, it could have been aliens.. Or it could be they are in a place
>> that no one has been before and as such face risks that no one has
>> faced before.. But easier to think it's Aliens.
>
> Yeah, the others sure seemed to go to "aliens" almost as quick as Angus
> did, when "they were just unlikely hit with an asteroid with the stuff"
> is still probably the more likely explanation.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
THERE ARE NO ASTEROIDS BETWEEN HERE AND ALPHA CENTAURI!!!

>>> Overall, this was dumb episode, without much of a payoff.
>>> Let's hope the next episode is better. (And it's not a good sign
>>> that I don't even remember what the promo for the next episode
>>> promised!)

Re: The SnARK (Adjacent!) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be Awake" (S01E04): 02-22-2023

<5da56229-6d3f-4e6e-9c31-84cb0a4a8878n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176959&group=rec.arts.tv#176959

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 19:45:42 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: The SnARK (Adjacent!) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be Awake"
(S01E04): 02-22-2023
From: marika5...@gmail.com (marika)
 by: marika - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 03:45 UTC

On Saturday, February 25, 2023 at 11:55:06 AM UTC-6, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> I guess I'm covering this week for Anim.
>
> Note: This will be "less snarky", and just "more critical", than the usual!

Saw numerous posts about This show here but did not yet watch more than the initial episode

Same reaction for pretty much every review so far is that is not worth pursuing but I am enjoying the critiques

mk5000

Far in the distance, revealed to be the end
Draws ever closer to ourselves
The jagged edges of our past tear the years apart
Relived in empathy denied--The Halo Effect – The Most Alone

Re: The SnARK (Adjacent!) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be Awake" (S01E04): 02-22-2023

<atropos-A95B8C.12093821042023@ec2-18-102-80-69.eu-south-1.compute.amazonaws.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=183032&group=rec.arts.tv#183032

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 12:09:38 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 19:09 UTC

In article <djtkvhp8a5p7bqga12appnpfdu628ipmai@4ax.com>,

> On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 11:36:57 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:

> >Water reclamation girl: there's a radiation leak in the (net? nex?)
> >
> >Shot of ship still going the wrong way back to earth
>
> Shot of stars being passed on the way to the nearest star to Earth.

Are those really stars though?

I have no idea what they are but they had them on STAR TREK, too. These
white lit-up blobs passing by the ship. They're way too close and small
to be stars, but what are they?

(I know what they *really* are: something the FX guys made up for the
ship to pass by so the audience could get a sense of the ship's speed
and motion, but they have no in-story explanation. Not comets, not
asteroids, certainly not stars. What the hell are they?)

Re: The SnARK (Adjacent!) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be Awake" (S01E04): 02-22-2023

<u2b8c5$1c3op$20@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=183611&group=rec.arts.tv#183611

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 04:30:59 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 26 Apr 2023 08:30 UTC

atropos@mac.com wrote:
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 11:36:57 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
>> wrote:

>>>Water reclamation girl: there's a radiation leak in the (net? nex?)
>>>
>>>Shot of ship still going the wrong way back to earth
>>
>> Shot of stars being passed on the way to the nearest star to Earth.
>
>Are those really stars though?
>
>I have no idea what they are but they had them on STAR TREK, too. These
>white lit-up blobs passing by the ship. They're way too close and small
>to be stars, but what are they?

They sure look like stars to me. They're so far away that they appear as
points of light.

--
Let's go Brandon!