If you're constantly being mistreated, you're cooperating with the treatment.

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets" ?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets" ?Zod
+* Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets"W-Dockery
|`* Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets"General-Zod
| `- Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets"W.Dockery
+- Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets"W-Dockery
+* Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets"W.Dockery
|`* Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets"General-Zod
| `- Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets"W-Dockery
+* Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets"W.Dockery
|`* Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets" ?Michael Pendragon
| `- Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets"W.Dockery
`- Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets"W-Dockery

1
Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets" ?

<a30721f4-1c39-4987-bfe8-391228221945n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=181761&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#181761

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 13:11:18 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets" ?
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Zod)
 by: Zod - Tue, 15 Nov 2022 21:11 UTC

On Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at 11:53:18 PM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
> [...]
>
> "...It is difficult to find any precise use of metaphor, simile, or other conceit, which is common to all the poets and at the same time important enough as an element of style to isolate these poets as a group. Donne, and often Cowley, employ a device which is sometimes considered characteristically "metaphysical"; the elaboration (contrasted with the condensation) of a figure of speech to the farthest stage to which ingenuity can carry it. Thus Cowley develops the commonplace comparison of the world to a chess-board through long stanzas (To Destiny), and Donne, with more grace, in A Valediction, the comparison of two lovers to a pair of compasses. But elsewhere we find, instead of the mere explication of the content of a comparison, a development by rapid association of thought which requires considerable agility on the part of the reader.
>
> On a round ball
> A workman that hath copies by, can lay
> An Europe, Afrique, and an Asia,
> And quickly make that, which was nothing, All,
> So doth each teare,
> Which thee doth weare,
> A globe, yea, world by that impression grow,
> Till thy tears mixt with mine doe overflow
> This world, by waters sent from thee, my heaven dissolved so.
>
> If you can dig that you are quite loyal.
>
> :)
>
> "A bracelet of bright hair about the bone..." -Donne
>
> "Johnson, who employed the term "metaphysical poets," apparently having Donne, Cleveland, and Cowley chiefly in mind..."
>
> This is great, and worth a post all alone:
>
> "The difference is not a simple difference of degree between poets. It is something which had happened to the mind of England between the time of Donne or Lord Herbert of Cherbury and the time of Tennyson and Browning; it is the difference between the intellectual poet and the reflective poet. Tennyson and Browning are poets, and they think; but they do not feel their thought as immediately as the odour of a rose. A thought to Donne was an experience; it modified his sensibility. When a poet's mind is perfectly equipped for its work, it is constantly amalgamating disparate experience; the ordinary man's experience is chaotic, irregular, fragmentary. The latter falls in love, or reads Spinoza, and these two experiences have nothing to do with each other, or with the noise of the typewriter or the smell of cooking; in the mind of the poet these experiences are always forming new wholes...." -T.S. Eliot

This is excellent, since this is also apparently the topic of the day...ha ha....

Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets" ?

<509ff19f645195da5ec9a51ee8093766@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=181811&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#181811

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 00:12:14 +0000
?
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Wed, 16 Nov 2022 00:12 UTC

Zod wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> That's about it for now.

> This is excellent, since this is also apparently the topic of the day...ha ha....

Again, good find, Zod.

🙂

Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets" ?

<0e88598ab6fec4fc1a62bb95f7066841@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=182599&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#182599

Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 22:32:07 +0000
?
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 22:32 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:
> [...]

>>> That's about it for now.

>> This is excellent, since this is also apparently the topic of the day...ha ha....

T.S. Eliot is top shelf in poetry and commentary...!

Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets" ?

<b28b4a2b31a22992304bd7ee725fe68a@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=183157&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#183157

Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 05:53:17 +0000
?
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Tue, 22 Nov 2022 05:53 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:
>> Zod wrote:

>>> This is excellent, since this is also apparently the topic of the day...ha ha....

>> Again, good find, Zod.

> T.S. Eliot is top shelf in poetry and commentary...!

At least a thousand times better than the delusional little monkey Michael Pendragon.

HTH and HAND.

Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets" ?

<f05dfe460ae6a123a151212076d85935@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=184071&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#184071

Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 15:05:58 +0000
?
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 15:05 UTC

Zod wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> That's about it for now.

> This is excellent, since this is also apparently the topic of the day...ha ha....

Again, good find.

🙂

Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets" ?

<ab80e710ffa2265eda72bed25ac6aa83@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=185924&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#185924

Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 16:06:43 +0000
?
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Sun, 4 Dec 2022 16:06 UTC

Zod wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> That's about it for now.

> This is excellent, since this is also apparently the topic of the day...ha ha....

That sure didn't last long.

🙂

Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets" ?

<1108bac4f6046fc9e1cbe23140a12952@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187706&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#187706

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 22:16:37 +0000
?
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 22:16 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> [...]

>>> That's about it for now.

>> This is excellent, since this is also apparently the topic of the day...ha ha....

How about that IDIOT Voodoo Boy thinking he is a better poet than TS Eliot...?

Ha ha.

Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets" ?

<5c7c989b3f9f55809580fe4bf2cebdf5@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187874&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#187874

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 16:18:59 +0000
?
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 16:18 UTC

Zod wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> That's about it for now.

> This is excellent, since this is also apparently the topic of the day...ha ha....

Even more so since Michael pendragon is digging his heels in on this absurd delusion he's having that he's a better poet than T.S. Eliot.

:)

Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets" ?

<05fe8fff-6141-4ac2-81e8-613ca5da4cb8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187891&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#187891

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 09:07:14 -0800 (PST)
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 17:07 UTC

On Wednesday, December 14, 2022 at 11:20:12 AM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
> [...]
> >>
> >> That's about it for now.
>
> > This is excellent, since this is also apparently the topic of the day....ha ha....
> Even more so since Michael pendragon is digging his heels in on this absurd delusion he's having that he's a better poet than T.S. Eliot.

How does Eliot's essay relate to my poetry or his?

Oh... wait... a Donkey's perception is incapable of penetrating beyond the fact that it was written by Eliot -- content be damned!

Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets" ?

<675ead5bcf1ed9f8ae761342dbee39e6@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187898&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#187898

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 17:26:13 +0000
?
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 17:26 UTC

Michael Pendragon wrote:
> Will Dockery wrote:

>> > This is excellent, since this is also apparently the topic of the day....ha ha....
>> Even more so since Michael pendragon is digging his heels in on this absurd delusion he's having that he's a better poet than T.S. Eliot.

> How does Eliot's essay relate to my poetry

I'm just laughing at your foolish, vain and delusional belief that you think you're a better poet than T.S. Eliot, Pendragon, you shit sniffing little monkey.

:)

Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets" ?

<8aef70b04de44e808383c707f25b1906@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188391&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#188391

Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 05:21:45 +0000
?
From: W-Dock...@news.novabbs.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 05:21 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:

>> Zod wrote:

>>> This is excellent, since this is also apparently the topic of the day...ha ha....

>> That sure didn't last long.

>> 🙂

> How about that IDIOT Voodoo Boy thinking he is a better poet than TS Eliot...?

> Ha ha.

Both amusing and pathetic at once, and the delusional little monkey seems to truly believe it.

🙂

Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets" ?

<550d1f8faaea0a983be268252565d43f@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188450&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#188450

From: W-Dock...@news.novabbs.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
?
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 14:40:36 +0000
 by: W-Dockery - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 14:40 UTC

Zod wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> That's about it for now.

> This is excellent, since this is also apparently the topic of the day...ha ha....

In more ways than one.

🙂