From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Subject: [NEWS] Doctor Who: Whittaker & Chibnall quitting after 2022
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 08:38:39 +1200
 by: Your Name - Thu, 29 Jul 2021 20:38 UTC

YEA!!!!

So, which black / asian actress in a wheelchair are the "Politically
Correct" / "Equality" / "Dversity" morons going to replace Whittaker
with??

As for "Three season and out", if the BBC management knew that, it's
simply another reason neither of them should have been given the job.
If you can't be bothered sticking around for an on-going show, then
don't bother applying.

From BBC.com ...

Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker and Chris Chibnall to leave in 2022
Jodie Whittaker is to step down from the lead role in Doctor Who,
the BBC has confirmed.

The first woman to play the Time Lord will bow out in Autumn 2022,
along with showrunner Chris Chibnall.

Whittaker will star in a new six-part series later this year, and
three specials next year, before she exits.

In a statement, Whittaker paid tribute to Chibnall and the Doctor
Who team, adding: "I will carry the Doctor and the lessons I've
learnt forever."

Chibnall, who appointed the actress to replace Peter Capaldi in
the role, has been in charge of the BBC One series since 2017.

It has not yet been announced who will take over from Whittaker
in the leading role.

"In 2017 I opened my glorious gift box of size 13 shoes,"
Whittaker said in a statement. "I could not have guessed the
brilliant adventures, worlds and wonders I was to see in them."

She continued: "My heart is so full of love for this show, for
the team who make it, for the fans who watch it and for what it
has brought to my life."

"And I cannot thank Chris enough for entrusting me with his
incredible stories. We knew that we wanted to ride this wave
side by side, and pass on the baton together. So here we are,
weeks away from wrapping on the best job I have ever had. I don't
think I'll ever be able to express what this role has given me.
I will carry the Doctor and the lessons I've learnt forever.

"I know change can be scary and none of us know what's out there.
That's why we keep looking. Travel hopefully. The universe will
surprise you. Constantly."

For her final series, Whittaker will once again be joined by
Mandip Gill as Yaz, and comedian John Bishop, who will play a
new character named Dan.

The 13th Doctor's first episode in October 2018 was watched by
11.5m viewers, in the sci-fi drama's biggest audience for almost
a decade. It was also the biggest show of that week, ahead of
Strictly Come Dancing and the Great British Bake Off.

But the show's ratings have dropped in recent years. Whittaker's
last episode, broadcast in January, attracted a consolidated
audience of 6.3 million.

While many have praised Whittaker's casting, some fans and
critics have criticised the show's recent narrative direction.

The Telegraph described recent episodes as "flat, worthy and
woke" despite Whittaker's talent as an actress, while The Sun
reported viewers were left furious by the show's "unbearable
political correctness".

One of the long-running drama's unique features has been
regeneration, where the Doctor completely changes their physical
appearance, allowing the show to recast its lead role every few
years.

Chibnall is currently writing and producing the next series of
Doctor Who, which will air later this year. It will be followed
by three specials, the first of which will be broadcast on New
Year's Day 2022, with another later in spring 2022.

Whittaker's final feature-length special, where the 13th Doctor
will regenerate, will transmit in autumn 2022 as part of the
BBC's Centenary celebrations.

Speculation will now turn to who Whittaker's replacement might
be, as Doctor Who approaches its 60th anniversary in 2023.

As well as introducing Whittaker as the first female Doctor,
Chibnall also brought in Tosin Cole as Ryan, Mandip Gill (Yaz)
and Bradley Walsh (Graham).

Episodes such as Rosa, Demons of the Punjab and Spyfall
thrilled audiences, and netted the show two Bafta Must See
Moment nominations, along with multiple National Television
Award, Bafta Cymru, TV Choice and Critics Choice nominations.

In 2020, Whittaker was voted second most popular Doctor of
all-time in a poll of 50,000 fans for the Radio Times, losing
out to David Tennant.

'Three seasons and out'
Chibnall said: "Jodie and I made a 'three series and out' pact
with each other at the start of this once-in-a-lifetime blast.
So now our shift is done, and we're handing back the Tardis
keys.

"Jodie's magnificent, iconic Doctor has exceeded all our high
expectations. She's been the gold standard leading actor,
shouldering the responsibility of being the first female Doctor
with style, strength, warmth, generosity and humour."

He added: "She captured the public imagination and continues
to inspire adoration around the world, as well as from
everyone on the production.

"I can't imagine working with a more inspiring Doctor - so I'm
not going to!"

<https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-57940451>

Re: [NEWS] Doctor Who: Whittaker & Chibnall quitting after 2022

<se170d$vi0$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1849&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#1849

From: mik...@xenocyte.com (Mike McKeown)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 16:48:19 +0100
 by: Mike McKeown - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 15:48 UTC

On 29/07/2021 21:38, Your Name wrote:

> YEA!!!!
>
> So, which black / asian actress in a wheelchair are the "Politically
> Correct" / "Equality" / "Dversity" morons going to replace Whittaker with??

Put another record on mate, this one's scratched and repeating the same
crappy groove over and over.

The zeitgeist of the early 21st Century is what it is - you are just
going to have to ride the tide of beardy blokes saying they don't
identify as male, actors transitioning gender, etc, until the social
pendulum swings again. And TV has to follow the mores of current society
or it becomes irrelevant, which is why there is so much more emphasis on
representation and colour blind casting even when it seems stupid in
"realistic" terms - I'm looking at shows like Bridgerton and The
Irregulars here, with their significant ethnic black and Asian British
nobility, and casual same-sex romance, in the nineteenth century. Doctor
Who is just one more example.

> As for "Three season and out", if the BBC management knew that, it's
> simply another reason neither of them should have been given the job. If
> you can't be bothered sticking around for an on-going show, then don't
> bother applying.

So do you think Patrick Toughton, Peter Davison, Christopher Eccleston,
David Tennant, Matt Smith and Peter Capadli should never have taken up
the role either? All of them (apart from Eccleston) left the role for
similar reasons, and given Eccleston's well known views on moving on
from roles and not being typecast, even if he hadn't had the issues he
did, he'd have moved on after a couple of years anyway. It's a uniquely
desirable role for actors for the very reason that it's a role you CAN
walk away from without destroying the show. So I believe it of Whittaker.

Not of Chibnall though. He's leaving because of the social pressures of
being the Who showrunner - there's only so much vitriol and carping
criticism from crusty old "fans" who don't like change tha any man can
take. If he was insulated from social media I bet he'd try to hold on to
the job for ages - it's been his dream for decades.

Re: [NEWS] Doctor Who: Whittaker & Chibnall quitting after 2022

<se1sg3$gdp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1850&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#1850

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 09:55:15 +1200
 by: Your Name - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 21:55 UTC

On 2021-07-30 15:48:19 +0000, Mike McKeown said:

> On 29/07/2021 21:38, Your Name wrote:
>>
>> YEA!!!!
>>
>> So, which black / asian actress in a wheelchair are the "Politically
>> Correct" / "Equality" / "Dversity" morons going to replace Whittaker
>> with??
>
> Put another record on mate, this one's scratched and repeating the same
> crappy groove over and over.
>
> The zeitgeist of the early 21st Century is what it is - you are just
> going to have to ride the tide of beardy blokes saying they don't
> identify as male, actors transitioning gender, etc, until the social
> pendulum swings again. And TV has to follow the mores of current
> society or it becomes irrelevant, which is why there is so much more
> emphasis on representation and colour blind casting even when it seems
> stupid in "realistic" terms - I'm looking at shows like Bridgerton and
> The Irregulars here, with their significant ethnic black and Asian
> British nobility, and casual same-sex romance, in the nineteenth
> century. Doctor Who is just one more example.

The more people simply accept this kind of double-standard "Politically
Correct" idiocy, the more it will happen.

If they want black / female / gay / etc. characters, then they should
find the creative talent to actually make stories with such characters,
rather than lazily steal existing white / male characters ... if it
happened the other way around and there would be howls of "cultural
appropriation" and marching in the streets.

>> As for "Three season and out", if the BBC management knew that, it's
>> simply another reason neither of them should have been given the job.
>> If you can't be bothered sticking around for an on-going show, then
>> don't bother applying.
>
> So do you think Patrick Toughton, Peter Davison, Christopher Eccleston,
> David Tennant, Matt Smith and Peter Capadli should never have taken up
> the role either?

Nobody should be given a big role in any on-going series when they're
already pre-planning to quit after only a couple of seasons. The fact
that the Doctor can regenerate shouldn't be used as an excuse for lazy,
selfish actors.

> All of them (apart from Eccleston) left the role for similar reasons,
> and given Eccleston's well known views on moving on from roles and not
> being typecast, even if he hadn't had the issues he did, he'd have
> moved on after a couple of years anyway. It's a uniquely desirable role
> for actors for the very reason that it's a role you CAN walk away from
> without destroying the show. So I believe it of Whittaker.

It's simply a case of the greedy scum wanting to put a bif name TV
series on their resume. They couldn't care less about the show itself
nor being in it, despite often claiming it's their "dream job".

> Not of Chibnall though. He's leaving because of the social pressures of
> being the Who showrunner - there's only so much vitriol and carping
> criticism from crusty old "fans" who don't like change tha any man can
> take. If he was insulated from social media I bet he'd try to hold on
> to the job for ages - it's been his dream for decades.

The producer and director are laregly irrelevant, as log as they can
continue to produce an consistent product that continues to fit with
the established facts of the franchise.