Newsgroups: alt.tv.mtv,rec.arts.tv
Subject: The writers' strike-era MTV Movie & TV Awards felt a lot like a pandemic ceremony
From: tmc1...@gmail.com
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 17:35:04 -0700 (PDT)
 by: tmc1...@gmail.com - Tue, 9 May 2023 00:35 UTC

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/writers-strike-era-mtv-movie-155755958.html

Nardine Saad
Mon, May 8, 2023 at 8:57 AM PDT

Absent a host and amid industrywide labor unrest, MTV forged ahead Sunday with
its Movie & TV Awards honoring the year's most popular titles and stars of the
big and small screens.

It was the first big awards show to take place � sort of � during the ongoing
Hollywood writers' strike, which took a dramatic toll on the zeitgeist-mirroring
ceremony.

MTV opted last-minute to pretape what was supposed to be a live show after Drew
Barrymore resigned as host and the Writers Guild of America announced plans to
picket outside the ceremony's venue, the Barker Hangar in Santa Monica. The red
carpet was also scrapped after stars reportedly dropped out of the event.

Show producers said they were "pivoting away from a live event" format and
leaned heavily into a retrospective-style broadcast, one that ended up being
hastily reminiscent of low-rated pandemic-era awards shows. Sunday's ceremony
was packed with remote and pretaped acceptance speeches, video montages of past
performances and outlandish moments, as well as sneak peeks for upcoming
projects, including a clip from Disney's live-action "The Little Mermaid,"
Showtime's "Yellowjackets" and Paramount's summer tentpole movie "Transformers:
Rise of the Beast."

No stage was set and no golden popcorn trophies were handed out in front of a
live audience. Instead, MTV condensed its fan-voted awards show into a zippy
flashback reel that was a far cry from the must-see, pop-culture-shifting fare
that the cable network previously traded in.

The show also lacked its bankable star power, save for an in-flight speech from
"Top Gun: Maverick" star Tom Cruise, Jennifer Coolidge quoting "Hamlet," Sofia
Carson getting emotional and a trio of acceptances from "The Last of Us" star
Pedro Pascal. The evening's other notable winners � Adam Sandler, the
Kardashians, Selena Gomez, Jenna Ortega and "Outer Banks" stars Madison Bailey
and and Rudy Pankow (the marquee best kiss prize winners) � did not send in
videos.

"Scream VI," which earned the prize for best movie, was represented by a person
costumed as the villainous Ghostface delivering thank yous on behalf of the
film.

Despite the glaring setbacks, a scaled-back ceremony aired on MTV and its sister
networks.

Ubi the shithead forges Terrence Clay and abuses Usenet (was: The writers' strike-era MTV Movie & TV Awards felt a lot like a pandemic ceremony)

<u3dthp$al8t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=185486&group=rec.arts.tv#185486

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.mtv,rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 16:48:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 9 May 2023 16:48 UTC

tmc1982@gmail.com wrote:

>https://www.yahoo. . . .

This was Ubi the shithead plagarizing Terrence Clay and abusing Usenet
by preloading headers to make it appear that this wasn't posted through
Giganews.

Re: The writers' strike-era MTV Movie & TV Awards felt a lot like a pandemic ceremony

<CA+wYmL=+x94nYNFNjqsvM+yJjY8XXX2CLfkYnkc+p9BqC9YvgQ@mail.gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=185934&group=rec.arts.tv#185934

Newsgroups: alt.tv.mtv,rec.arts.tv
From: andrewri...@gmail.com (Mrs. Carolina David)
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 22:44:20 +0800
 by: Mrs. Carolina David - Sat, 13 May 2023 14:44 UTC

tmc1982@gmail.com says...

>Absent a host and amid industrywide labor unrest, MTV forged ahead Sunday with
>its Movie & TV Awards honoring the year's most popular titles and stars of the
>big and small screens.
>
>It was the first big awards show to take place — sort of — during the ongoing
>Hollywood writers' strike, which took a dramatic toll on the zeitgeist-mirroring
>ceremony.
>
>MTV opted last-minute to pretape what was supposed to be a live show after Drew
>Barrymore resigned as host and the Writers Guild of America announced plans to
>picket outside the ceremony's venue, the Barker Hangar in Santa Monica. The red
>carpet was also scrapped after stars reportedly dropped out of the event.
>
>Show producers said they were "pivoting away from a live event" format and
>leaned heavily into a retrospective-style broadcast, one that ended up being
>hastily reminiscent of low-rated pandemic-era awards shows. Sunday's ceremony
>was packed with remote and pretaped acceptance speeches, video montages of past
>performances and outlandish moments, as well as sneak peeks for upcoming
>projects, including a clip from Disney's live-action "The Little Mermaid,"
>Showtime's "Yellowjackets" and Paramount's summer tentpole movie "Transformers:
>Rise of the Beast."
>
>No stage was set and no golden popcorn trophies were handed out in front of a
>live audience. Instead, MTV condensed its fan-voted awards show into a zippy
>flashback reel that was a far cry from the must-see, pop-culture-shifting fare
>that the cable network previously traded in.
>
>The show also lacked its bankable star power, save for an in-flight speech from
>"Top Gun: Maverick" star Tom Cruise, Jennifer Coolidge quoting "Hamlet," Sofia
>Carson getting emotional and a trio of acceptances from "The Last of Us" star
>Pedro Pascal. The evening's other notable winners — Adam Sandler, the
>Kardashians, Selena Gomez, Jenna Ortega and "Outer Banks" stars Madison Bailey
>and and Rudy Pankow (the marquee best kiss prize winners) — did not send in
>videos.
>
>"Scream VI," which earned the prize for best movie, was represented by a person
>costumed as the villainous Ghostface delivering thank yous on behalf of the
>film.
>
>Despite the glaring setbacks, a scaled-back ceremony aired on MTV and its sister
>networks.

worst show ever glad i didnt watch