Catch a wave and you're sitting on top of the world. -- The Beach Boys

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Jenna Ortega Slammed For Saving "Wednesday"

SubjectAuthor
* Jenna Ortega Slammed For Saving "Wednesday"Alan Smithee
`* Re: Jenna Ortega Slammed For Saving "Wednesday"BTR1701
 +* Re: Jenna Ortega Slammed For Saving "Wednesday"shawn
 |`* Re: Jenna Ortega Slammed For Saving "Wednesday"anim8rfsk
 | `* Re: Jenna Ortega Slammed For Saving "Wednesday"shawn
 |  `* Re: Jenna Ortega Slammed For Saving "Wednesday"anim8rfsk
 |   +- Re: Jenna Ortega Slammed For Saving "Wednesday"trotsky
 |   `- Re: Jenna Ortega Slammed For Saving "Wednesday"Dimensional Traveler
 `- Re: Jenna Ortega Slammed For Saving "Wednesday"anim8rfsk

1
Jenna Ortega Slammed For Saving "Wednesday"

<u3p6h0$2c93c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186013&group=rec.arts.tv#186013

From: alm...@last.inc (Alan Smithee)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Jenna Ortega Slammed For Saving "Wednesday"
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 20:29:34 -0300
 by: Alan Smithee - Sat, 13 May 2023 23:29 UTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ5kCpZ3MR4

Striking Writers Mock ‘Wednesday’ Star Jenna Ortega

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/jenna-ortega-wga-strike-mocking-1235479818/

Ortega, who has earned plenty of critical and fandom praise for her
deadpan portrayal of O.G. goth girl Wednesday Addams, previously made
headlines for saying she helped improve the writing on her show.

“Jenna Ortega better be back from NY for her afternoon shift on the
picket line,” BoJack Horseman writer Nick Adams tweeted earlier this week.

The Bear writer Karen Joseph Adcock added, “Rewriting is writing! See
you at the line, Jenna.”

And then there was this picket line sign reportedly from House Party
writer Brandon Cohen that was spotted by Variety: “Without writers,
Jenna Ortega will have nothing to punch up!”

Some Ortega fans have pushed back on social media, saying she’s been
made a scapegoat for union issues that have nothing to do with the actress.

Ortega’s comments stem from a March episode of the Armchair Expert
podcast where she said: “There were times on that set where I almost
became unprofessional in a sense, where I just started changing lines.

The script supervisor thought that I was like, going with something, and
then I would have to sit down with the writers and they would be like,
‘Wait, what happened to this scene?’ And I would have to go through and
explain why I couldn’t do certain things.”

She added, “I don’t think I’ve ever had to put my foot down on a set in
the way that I had to on Wednesday. Everything that she does, everything
that I had to play, did not make sense for her character at all.

Her being in a love triangle made no sense. There was a line about a
dress that she has to wear for a school dance and she said, ‘Oh my God,
I love it. Ugh, I can’t believe I said that, I literally hate myself.’
And I had to go, ‘No.'”

Ortega has previously noted her schedule on the show was extremely
arduous, with the actress working 12 to 14 hours per day for eight
months for the eight-episode series.

“I did not get any sleep,” she told Variety. “I pulled my hair out.
There’s so many FaceTime calls that my dad answered of me hysterically
crying.”

Wednesday has been renewed for season two, and Ortega is considered a
frontrunner for an Emmy nomination for best actress.

Re: Jenna Ortega Slammed For Saving "Wednesday"

<atropos-4557C9.16444613052023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186018&group=rec.arts.tv#186018

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Jenna Ortega Slammed For Saving "Wednesday"
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 16:44:46 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 13 May 2023 23:44 UTC

In article <u3p6h0$2c93c$1@dont-email.me>, Alan Smithee <alms@last.inc>
wrote:

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ5kCpZ3MR4
>
> Striking Writers Mock WEDNESDAY Star Jenna Ortega
>
> https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/jenna-ortega-wga-strike-mocking-1
> 235479818/
>
> Ortega, who has earned plenty of critical and fandom praise for her
> deadpan portrayal of O.G. goth girl Wednesday Addams, previously made
> headlines for saying she helped improve the writing on her show.
>
> "Jenna Ortega better be back from NY for her afternoon shift on the
> picket line," BOJACK HORSEMAN writer Nick Adams tweeted earlier this week.
>
> THE BEAR writer Karen Joseph Adcock added, "Rewriting is writing! See
> you at the line, Jenna."

Unless she's a member of WGA, why would she walk a picket line,
regardless of what she contributed to the scripts on WEDNESDAY?

> And then there was this picket line sign reportedly from HOUSE PARTY
> writer Brandon Cohen that was spotted by Variety: "Without writers,
> Jenna Ortega will have nothing to punch up!"
>
> Some Ortega fans have pushed back on social media, saying she's been
> made a scapegoat for union issues that have nothing to do with the
> actress.
>
> Ortega's comments stem from a March episode of the Armchair Expert
> podcast where she said: "There were times on that set where I almost
> became unprofessional in a sense, where I just started changing lines.
>
> "The script supervisor thought that I was like, going with something, and
> then I would have to sit down with the writers and they would be like,
> 'Wait, what happened to this scene?' And I would have to go through and
> explain why I couldn't do certain things."
>
> She added, "I don't think I've ever had to put my foot down on a set in
> the way that I had to on WEDNESDAY. Everything that she does, everything
> that I had to play, did not make sense for her character at all.
>
> "Her being in a love triangle made no sense. There was a line about a
> dress that she has to wear for a school dance and she said, 'Oh my God,
> I love it. Ugh, I can't believe I said that, I literally hate myself.'
> And I had to go, 'No.'"

Sounds like she was right.

> Ortega has previously noted her schedule on the show was extremely
> arduous, with the actress working 12 to 14 hours per day for eight
> months for the eight-episode series.
>
> "I did not get any sleep," she told Variety. "I pulled my hair out.
> There's so many FaceTime calls that my dad answered of me hysterically
> crying."
>
> WEDNESDAY has been renewed for season two, and Ortega is considered a
> frontrunner for an Emmy nomination for best actress.

Re: Jenna Ortega Slammed For Saving "Wednesday"

<ar806i9lk6k08h8h0pqrlt5dp9bbertj62@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186024&group=rec.arts.tv#186024

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 19:57:29 -0400
 by: shawn - Sat, 13 May 2023 23:57 UTC

On Sat, 13 May 2023 16:44:46 -0700, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>In article <u3p6h0$2c93c$1@dont-email.me>, Alan Smithee <alms@last.inc>
>wrote:
>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ5kCpZ3MR4
>>
>> Striking Writers Mock WEDNESDAY Star Jenna Ortega
>>
>> https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/jenna-ortega-wga-strike-mocking-1
>> 235479818/
>>
>> Ortega, who has earned plenty of critical and fandom praise for her
>> deadpan portrayal of O.G. goth girl Wednesday Addams, previously made
>> headlines for saying she helped improve the writing on her show.
>>
>> "Jenna Ortega better be back from NY for her afternoon shift on the
>> picket line," BOJACK HORSEMAN writer Nick Adams tweeted earlier this week.
>>
>> THE BEAR writer Karen Joseph Adcock added, "Rewriting is writing! See
>> you at the line, Jenna."
>
>Unless she's a member of WGA, why would she walk a picket line,
>regardless of what she contributed to the scripts on WEDNESDAY?

She wouldn't but they want to try to shame everyone in the business to
support them.

>> And then there was this picket line sign reportedly from HOUSE PARTY
>> writer Brandon Cohen that was spotted by Variety: "Without writers,
>> Jenna Ortega will have nothing to punch up!"
>>
>> Some Ortega fans have pushed back on social media, saying she's been
>> made a scapegoat for union issues that have nothing to do with the
>> actress.
>>
>> Ortega's comments stem from a March episode of the Armchair Expert
>> podcast where she said: "There were times on that set where I almost
>> became unprofessional in a sense, where I just started changing lines.
>>
>> "The script supervisor thought that I was like, going with something, and
>> then I would have to sit down with the writers and they would be like,
>> 'Wait, what happened to this scene?' And I would have to go through and
>> explain why I couldn't do certain things."
>>
>> She added, "I don't think I've ever had to put my foot down on a set in
>> the way that I had to on WEDNESDAY. Everything that she does, everything
>> that I had to play, did not make sense for her character at all.
>>
>> "Her being in a love triangle made no sense. There was a line about a
>> dress that she has to wear for a school dance and she said, 'Oh my God,
>> I love it. Ugh, I can't believe I said that, I literally hate myself.'
>> And I had to go, 'No.'"
>
>Sounds like she was right.

Yeah, as she points out she actually cared about the character and
getting the right tone while it seems that the writers didn't know the
character and the Addam's family so their ideas went against what the
character would do. Why they hired a bunch of writers who didn't
already know the material escapes me.

>> Ortega has previously noted her schedule on the show was extremely
>> arduous, with the actress working 12 to 14 hours per day for eight
>> months for the eight-episode series.
>>
>> "I did not get any sleep," she told Variety. "I pulled my hair out.
>> There's so many FaceTime calls that my dad answered of me hysterically
>> crying."
>>
>> WEDNESDAY has been renewed for season two, and Ortega is considered a
>> frontrunner for an Emmy nomination for best actress.

Re: Jenna Ortega Slammed For Saving "Wednesday"

<1205519359.705714850.964747.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186042&group=rec.arts.tv#186042

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 22:19:22 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 14 May 2023 05:19 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> In article <u3p6h0$2c93c$1@dont-email.me>, Alan Smithee <alms@last.inc>
> wrote:
>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ5kCpZ3MR4
>>
>> Striking Writers Mock WEDNESDAY Star Jenna Ortega
>>
>> https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/jenna-ortega-wga-strike-mocking-1
>> 235479818/
>>
>> Ortega, who has earned plenty of critical and fandom praise for her
>> deadpan portrayal of O.G. goth girl Wednesday Addams, previously made
>> headlines for saying she helped improve the writing on her show.
>>
>> "Jenna Ortega better be back from NY for her afternoon shift on the
>> picket line," BOJACK HORSEMAN writer Nick Adams tweeted earlier this week.
>>
>> THE BEAR writer Karen Joseph Adcock added, "Rewriting is writing! See
>> you at the line, Jenna."
>
> Unless she's a member of WGA, why would she walk a picket line,
> regardless of what she contributed to the scripts on WEDNESDAY?
>
>> And then there was this picket line sign reportedly from HOUSE PARTY
>> writer Brandon Cohen that was spotted by Variety: "Without writers,
>> Jenna Ortega will have nothing to punch up!"
>>
>> Some Ortega fans have pushed back on social media, saying she's been
>> made a scapegoat for union issues that have nothing to do with the
>> actress.
>>
>> Ortega's comments stem from a March episode of the Armchair Expert
>> podcast where she said: "There were times on that set where I almost
>> became unprofessional in a sense, where I just started changing lines.
>>
>> "The script supervisor thought that I was like, going with something, and
>> then I would have to sit down with the writers and they would be like,
>> 'Wait, what happened to this scene?' And I would have to go through and
>> explain why I couldn't do certain things."
>>
>> She added, "I don't think I've ever had to put my foot down on a set in
>> the way that I had to on WEDNESDAY. Everything that she does, everything
>> that I had to play, did not make sense for her character at all.
>>
>> "Her being in a love triangle made no sense. There was a line about a
>> dress that she has to wear for a school dance and she said, 'Oh my God,
>> I love it. Ugh, I can't believe I said that, I literally hate myself.'
>> And I had to go, 'No.'"
>
> Sounds like she was right.

She was right, and the lazy talentless writers were wrong, and deserve to
be unemployed.

>> Ortega has previously noted her schedule on the show was extremely
>> arduous, with the actress working 12 to 14 hours per day for eight
>> months for the eight-episode series.
>>
>> "I did not get any sleep," she told Variety. "I pulled my hair out.
>> There's so many FaceTime calls that my dad answered of me hysterically
>> crying."
>>
>> WEDNESDAY has been renewed for season two, and Ortega is considered a
>> frontrunner for an Emmy nomination for best actress.

Re: Jenna Ortega Slammed For Saving "Wednesday"

<1162473824.705734458.783152.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186047&group=rec.arts.tv#186047

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 22:26:16 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 14 May 2023 05:26 UTC

> On Sat, 13 May 2023 16:44:46 -0700, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <u3p6h0$2c93c$1@dont-email.me>, Alan Smithee <alms@last.inc>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ5kCpZ3MR4
>>>
>>> Striking Writers Mock WEDNESDAY Star Jenna Ortega
>>>
>>> https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/jenna-ortega-wga-strike-mocking-1
>>> 235479818/
>>>
>>> Ortega, who has earned plenty of critical and fandom praise for her
>>> deadpan portrayal of O.G. goth girl Wednesday Addams, previously made
>>> headlines for saying she helped improve the writing on her show.
>>>
>>> "Jenna Ortega better be back from NY for her afternoon shift on the
>>> picket line," BOJACK HORSEMAN writer Nick Adams tweeted earlier this week.
>>>
>>> THE BEAR writer Karen Joseph Adcock added, "Rewriting is writing! See
>>> you at the line, Jenna."
>>
>> Unless she's a member of WGA, why would she walk a picket line,
>> regardless of what she contributed to the scripts on WEDNESDAY?
>
> She wouldn't but they want to try to shame everyone in the business to
> support them.
>
>>> And then there was this picket line sign reportedly from HOUSE PARTY
>>> writer Brandon Cohen that was spotted by Variety: "Without writers,
>>> Jenna Ortega will have nothing to punch up!"
>>>
>>> Some Ortega fans have pushed back on social media, saying she's been
>>> made a scapegoat for union issues that have nothing to do with the
>>> actress.
>>>
>>> Ortega's comments stem from a March episode of the Armchair Expert
>>> podcast where she said: "There were times on that set where I almost
>>> became unprofessional in a sense, where I just started changing lines.
>>>
>>> "The script supervisor thought that I was like, going with something, and
>>> then I would have to sit down with the writers and they would be like,
>>> 'Wait, what happened to this scene?' And I would have to go through and
>>> explain why I couldn't do certain things."
>>>
>>> She added, "I don't think I've ever had to put my foot down on a set in
>>> the way that I had to on WEDNESDAY. Everything that she does, everything
>>> that I had to play, did not make sense for her character at all.
>>>
>>> "Her being in a love triangle made no sense. There was a line about a
>>> dress that she has to wear for a school dance and she said, 'Oh my God,
>>> I love it. Ugh, I can't believe I said that, I literally hate myself.'
>>> And I had to go, 'No.'"
>>
>> Sounds like she was right.
>
> Yeah, as she points out she actually cared about the character and
> getting the right tone while it seems that the writers didn't know the
> character and the Addam's family so their ideas went against what the
> character would do. Why they hired a bunch of writers who didn't
> already know the material escapes me.

Because they’re in the guild.

Re: Jenna Ortega Slammed For Saving "Wednesday"

<h7t06i9afqnepdqvgl0nd785h918ndd76f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186048&group=rec.arts.tv#186048

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 01:45:42 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 14 May 2023 05:45 UTC

On Sat, 13 May 2023 22:26:16 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 13 May 2023 16:44:46 -0700, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> Sounds like she was right.
>>
>> Yeah, as she points out she actually cared about the character and
>> getting the right tone while it seems that the writers didn't know the
>> character and the Addam's family so their ideas went against what the
>> character would do. Why they hired a bunch of writers who didn't
>> already know the material escapes me.
>
>Because they’re in the guild.

You can't tell me that there aren't any writers in the guild who don't
know the Addam's Family. They shouldn't be hiring just any writer
because they did a decent job on another show and are in the guild.
Instead they should be looking for good writers who are in the guild
AND know the source material. A bit harder of a search but well worth
it if the final product is better for the additional time spent
looking for the right writers. Something that too many projects don't
seem to do.

Re: Jenna Ortega Slammed For Saving "Wednesday"

<701824176.705744063.341437.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186056&group=rec.arts.tv#186056

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 01:04:48 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 14 May 2023 08:04 UTC

> On Sat, 13 May 2023 22:26:16 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

>>> Yeah, as she points out she actually cared about the character and
>>> getting the right tone while it seems that the writers didn't know the
>>> character and the Addam's family so their ideas went against what the
>>> character would do. Why they hired a bunch of writers who didn't
>>> already know the material escapes me.
>>
>> Because they’re in the guild.
>
> You can't tell me that there aren't any writers in the guild who don't
> know the Addam's Family. They shouldn't be hiring just any writer
> because they did a decent job on another show and are in the guild.
> Instead they should be looking for good writers who are in the guild
> AND know the source material. A bit harder of a search but well worth
> it if the final product is better for the additional time spent
> looking for the right writers. Something that too many projects don't
> seem to do.

When I was at Fox, they got the Spider-Man property and they had a writers
room with a half a dozen people sitting around, trying to decide what is
Spider-Man would be because none of them knew the property, and they all
refused to read a comic book.

I can easily believe they had a whole writers room that didn’t know a thing
about Wednesday Addams.

Re: Jenna Ortega Slammed For Saving "Wednesday"

<bO08M.181185$qjm2.63423@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186059&group=rec.arts.tv#186059

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 03:17:11 -0500
 by: trotsky - Sun, 14 May 2023 08:17 UTC

On 5/14/23 3:04 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 13 May 2023 22:26:16 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Because they’re in the guild.
>>
>> You can't tell me that there aren't any writers in the guild who don't
>> know the Addam's Family. They shouldn't be hiring just any writer
>> because they did a decent job on another show and are in the guild.
>> Instead they should be looking for good writers who are in the guild
>> AND know the source material. A bit harder of a search but well worth
>> it if the final product is better for the additional time spent
>> looking for the right writers. Something that too many projects don't
>> seem to do.
>>

> When I was at Fox, they got the Spider-Man property and they had a writers
> room with a half a dozen people sitting around, trying to decide what is
> Spider-Man would be because none of them knew the property, and they all
> refused to read a comic book.
>
> I can easily believe they had a whole writers room that didn’t know a thing
> about Wednesday Addams.

Sure, writers aren't "woke" enough. Make about as much sense as you do.

Re: Jenna Ortega Slammed For Saving "Wednesday"

<u3qvnq$2lq54$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186085&group=rec.arts.tv#186085

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 08:46:04 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 14 May 2023 15:46 UTC

On 5/14/2023 1:04 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 13 May 2023 22:26:16 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Because they’re in the guild.
>>
>> You can't tell me that there aren't any writers in the guild who don't
>> know the Addam's Family. They shouldn't be hiring just any writer
>> because they did a decent job on another show and are in the guild.
>> Instead they should be looking for good writers who are in the guild
>> AND know the source material. A bit harder of a search but well worth
>> it if the final product is better for the additional time spent
>> looking for the right writers. Something that too many projects don't
>> seem to do.
>>

> When I was at Fox, they got the Spider-Man property and they had a writers
> room with a half a dozen people sitting around, trying to decide what is
> Spider-Man would be because none of them knew the property, and they all
> refused to read a comic book.
>
> I can easily believe they had a whole writers room that didn’t know a thing
> about Wednesday Addams.

And in many cases the producers want "a new take" on the character(s)
and will NOT hire writers familiar with it because they can do it better
than the ones who wrote the character that everyone loves so much that
the producers want some of that money.

dirty old man.