The world really isn't any worse. It's just that the news coverage is so much better.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-13 (Saturday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-05-13 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-13 (Saturday)Ubiquitous
+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-13 (Saturday)Ubiquitous
+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-13 (Saturday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-13 (Saturday)Ubiquitous
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-13 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-13 (Saturday)Dimensional Traveler
|  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-13 (Saturday)Ubiquitous
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-13 (Saturday)Ubiquitous
 `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-13 (Saturday)A Friend

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-05-13 (Saturday)

<u3r1ul$2m4j2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186092&group=rec.arts.tv#186092

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-13 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 09:23:49 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 14 May 2023 16:23 UTC

I am trying to mostly finish up the grading on one of my two jobs this
weekend, so that is my focus. So I didn't get through much TV...:

soaps: DOOL - Thur's ep. Wow - Talia is not a good person! Rather than
confessing, she comes up with a "sob" story about her EVOL!!1!
ex-boyfriend that she is ashamed that she hooked up with! Not only is
this chyck an expert liar, she's a bald-faced and prolific one! To her
credit, I don't think Jada is totally buying this sob-story... Sloan
confronts her brother and tells him to stop, but he doesn't after Talia
reports back to him on her progress with Chanel... Meanwhile, Nicole's
report that Gabi doctored is causing trouble for EJ! (Yay!!) (Sidenote:
Camila Banus *really* needs to lose weight now...) Nicole lies to Eric,
and doesn't tell him she is pregnant.
GH - Cody talks his way back into Selina Wu's poker game, I think
primarily so he can keep an eye on Gladys. Maxie basically orders Sasha
to go back on the homeshopping show which she previously had the
nervous breakdown on, and Sasha actually agrees! Tracey orders Brook
Lynn to go back to work at Deception.
Sidenote: I had no idea that Jane Elliot is in her *mid-70s*!! She
still looks great!
Esme is reunited with her baby, and even Spencer seems OK with it.
Trina decides to get the DNA test to find out who her biological father
actually is.

golf - Day 3 at the Byron Nelson, and I actually have no idea who more
than half of the guys on the leaderboard are!!

Maid for Revenge (Lifetime) - This was OK. Kathryn Kohut plays a sad
sack ex-con, with about an 8-year old son, who is forced to work as a
cleaning lady. But at her job of the day, she is drugged by some "lime
water" left for her, and when she wakes up finds her previously absent
homeowner there, dead/murdered in the swimming pool!
(Sidenote: I think it is revealed that there was actually no motive
against this particular homeowner, which means they were totally
innocent, and were murdered for simply being at the wrong place at the
wrong time!!)
Anyway, being an ex-con, the cleaning lady knows not to stick around
and wait for the cops to show up! So she flees, just ahead of the cops.
The rest of the movie is the cleaning lady on the run, running
across one helpful <s>sucker</s> guy, and trying to figure out what
happened so she can clear her name.
The identity of the mastermind was rather obvious IMO - it pretty
literally couldn't have been anyone else!

I also saw some of "Revenge Best Served Chilled" on Lifetime, which I
had never seen before. It was "meh", but not horrible.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-13 (Saturday)

<UBI20230513@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186429&group=rec.arts.tv#186429

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-13 (Saturday)
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 04:30:41 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 17 May 2023 08:30 UTC

I watched:

THE NEWS AND WHY IT MATTERS:
All of this week's eps.

MST3K, RIFFTRAX:
Various movies and shorts.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-13 (Saturday)

<u42da7$3rulj$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186430&group=rec.arts.tv#186430

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 04:30:42 -0400

dtravel@sonic.net wrote:

>History's Greatest Mysteries, S2E01 'Expedition Bermuda Triangle'
>"A search into the extreme depths of the Bermuda Triangle, where five
>American Torpedo Bombers and the search plane dispatched to find them
>disappear without a trace in December 1945."

I watched this a couple weeks ago. I don't know why people still think it's a
thing.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-13 (Saturday)

<u42dls$3rulj$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186431&group=rec.arts.tv#186431

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 04:30:43 -0400

In article <u3r8g9$2mqqj$1@dont-email.me>, arthur@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:

>> What Did You Watch?
>
>This will be a multiday catch up. I watched:
>
>Batman: The Movie (blu-ray) - The 1966 classic starring Adam West and
>Burt Ward. This has been on my rewatch list for a while but I'm only
>now forcing myself to get to it because I'm going to be revisiting
>various DC movies and figured I'd start off with this one. I watched
>with the Adam West and Burt Ward commentary track. They mostly spent
>the commentary commenting on how good an actor whoever happened to be on
>screen was and making double entendre jokes. It took a couple of times
>before I realized they were doing it on purpose.

Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

>Superman (4K disc) The classic 1978 movie directed by Richard Donner and
>starring Christopher Reeve as Superman. I've been waiting a long time
>to watch this disc. The theatrical cut has a brand new 4K print and
>Dolby Atmos sound. But last time I watched it was the ridiculously long
>everything but the kitchen sink edition, and I miss a lot of those
>scenes. I especially miss the scene when Superman tunnels underground
>to get Luthor and he has to get past Luthor's weapons first.
>Nevertheless, the movie holds up great! And that score in Dolby Atmos...

Discussed at length on Danny Honr's "Superheros Every Day" blog.
https://superheroeseveryday.com/chapters/

>Superman II (4k disc) The 1980 inferior Richard Lester cut of the
>sequel. The movie stars Terence Stamp as General Zod, who just wants
>people to kneel, and Gene Hackman who just wants to be ruler of
>Australia. But for whatever reason Superman decides to stop them. I
>have a 4K box set and decided I wanted to watch both versions. First up
>was the Lester cut. I'm not sure if I noticed before but Marlon Brando
>is scrubbed from the opening recap. The recap makes it appear as if
>Superman's mother single-handedly put him in the rocket and sent him to
>Earth. Anyway this is the version I grew up with loved all those years
>until they finally released the Donner Cut. For what it is, it holds up
>well enough. And it was nice seeing it again after all these years.

Discussed at length on Danny Honr's "Superheros Every Day" blog.
https://superheroeseveryday.com/chapters/

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-13 (Saturday)

<u42e35$3rulj$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186432&group=rec.arts.tv#186432

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 04:30:44 -0400

In article <u3rtmt$2p241$1@dont-email.me>, dtravel@sonic.net wrote:
> On 5/14/2023 3:35 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> O_o Oh? Link or details please? 'Cause this one basically ended with
>>> them finding an Avenger that might be one of the Flight 19 aircraft.
>>
>> Look up Berlitz (I think his first name was Charles). Guy was the heir to
>> the Berlitz language course empire. He sat down and wrote a Scam book
>> inventing the Bermuda triangle on a much smaller scale than we know it
>> today. Then somebody took his book and wrote a new one adding on another
>> fake disappearance. Then somebody took that book, and added on another
>> fake disappearance. And then suddenly we have an epidemic. NOVA did a
>> very special two-part episode shredding it asunder way back in the 20th
>> century.

I am not sure I heard that explaination before.
>So you are saying that its the Bermuda Triangle that is a "hoax", not
>the disappearance of Flight 19. I've been aware that the rate of lost
>ships and aircraft in the "Triangle" statistically isn't any higher than
>elsewhere for many years. The volume is simply because there is SO much
>traffic in the area.

Yes. There is no statistical difference between incidents in the area and
elsewhere, plus several of the incents listed didn't even happen there, if
they even did.

The squad of planes that went missing got confused and thought they
were over the Florida Keys (I think) and tried heading Northwest, while in
reality they were over Bermuda, where they headed out to sea and crashed.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-13 (Saturday)

<u42es0$3rulj$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186433&group=rec.arts.tv#186433

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 04:30:45 -0400

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:

>BLUE BLOODS S13E20 "Irish exits"
>
>The penultimate episode of the season, and they never do tell us what the
>hell the title means.

I assume the "Irish" part refers to being drunk or brawling.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-13 (Saturday)

<170520231522230780%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186479&group=rec.arts.tv#186479

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 15:22:23 -0400
 by: A Friend - Wed, 17 May 2023 19:22 UTC

In article <u42es0$3rulj$6@dont-email.me>, Ubiquitous
<weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>
> >BLUE BLOODS S13E20 "Irish exits"
> >
> >The penultimate episode of the season, and they never do tell us what the
> >hell the title means.
>
> I assume the "Irish" part refers to being drunk or brawling.'

I've already posted the definition of an Irish exit. Your bigoted
presumption is incorrect.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-13 (Saturday)

<379180953.706045395.928858.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186482&group=rec.arts.tv#186482

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 13:07:16 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 17 May 2023 20:07 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> In article <u3rtmt$2p241$1@dont-email.me>, dtravel@sonic.net wrote:

>>> Look up Berlitz (I think his first name was Charles). Guy was the heir to
>>> the Berlitz language course empire. He sat down and wrote a Scam book
>>> inventing the Bermuda triangle on a much smaller scale than we know it
>>> today. Then somebody took his book and wrote a new one adding on another
>>> fake disappearance. Then somebody took that book, and added on another
>>> fake disappearance. And then suddenly we have an epidemic. NOVA did a
>>> very special two-part episode shredding it asunder way back in the 20th
>>> century.
>
> I am not sure I heard that explaination before.
>
>> So you are saying that its the Bermuda Triangle that is a "hoax", not
>> the disappearance of Flight 19. I've been aware that the rate of lost
>> ships and aircraft in the "Triangle" statistically isn't any higher than
>> elsewhere for many years. The volume is simply because there is SO much
>> traffic in the area.
>
> Yes. There is no statistical difference between incidents in the area and
> elsewhere, plus several of the incents listed didn't even happen there, if
> they even did.
>
> The squad of planes that went missing got confused and thought they
> were over the Florida Keys (I think) and tried heading Northwest, while in
> reality they were over Bermuda, where they headed out to sea and crashed.

Yeah, apparently they thought they were over the gulf side and if they
headed east, they’d run into Florida, but they were actually over the
Atlantic ocean side and just headed further out to sea…

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-13 (Saturday)

<u43llm$kpd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186517&group=rec.arts.tv#186517

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 15:49:28 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 17 May 2023 22:49 UTC

On 5/17/2023 1:07 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>> I am not sure I heard that explaination before.
>>
>>> So you are saying that its the Bermuda Triangle that is a "hoax", not
>>> the disappearance of Flight 19. I've been aware that the rate of lost
>>> ships and aircraft in the "Triangle" statistically isn't any higher than
>>> elsewhere for many years. The volume is simply because there is SO much
>>> traffic in the area.
>>
>> Yes. There is no statistical difference between incidents in the area and
>> elsewhere, plus several of the incents listed didn't even happen there, if
>> they even did.
>>
>> The squad of planes that went missing got confused and thought they
>> were over the Florida Keys (I think) and tried heading Northwest, while in
>> reality they were over Bermuda, where they headed out to sea and crashed.
>>

> Yeah, apparently they thought they were over the gulf side and if they
> headed east, they’d run into Florida, but they were actually over the
> Atlantic ocean side and just headed further out to sea…

Ya, I've heard that theory and agree its the most likely. Doesn't you
can't still look for the aircraft remains.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-13 (Saturday)

<u453h0$8d0s$8@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186586&group=rec.arts.tv#186586

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 04:30:47 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Thu, 18 May 2023 08:30 UTC

In article <u43llm$kpd$2@dont-email.me>, dtravel@sonic.net wrote:
> On 5/17/2023 1:07 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>>> I am not sure I heard that explaination before.

>>> Yes. There is no statistical difference between incidents in the area and
>>> elsewhere, plus several of the incents listed didn't even happen there, if
>>> they even did.
>>>
>>> The squad of planes that went missing got confused and thought they
>>> were over the Florida Keys (I think) and tried heading Northwest, while in
>>> reality they were over Bermuda, where they headed out to sea and crashed.
>>>

>> Yeah, apparently they thought they were over the gulf side and if they
>> headed east, they'd run into Florida, but they were actually over the
>> Atlantic ocean side and just headed further out to sea…
>
>Ya, I've heard that theory and agree its the most likely. Doesn't you
>can't still look for the aircraft remains.

You have to have a fairly specific idea of where to look.

That's why that Malayasian plane was never found.

--
Let's go Brandon!