If God had intended Man to Walk, He would have given him Feet.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: There's A Good Reason Americans Loved Watching King Charles' Coronation

SubjectAuthor
* There's A Good Reason Americans Loved Watching King Charles' CoronationUbiquitous
+- Re: There's A Good Reason Americans Loved Watching King Charles' Coronationchromebook test
`* Re: There's A Good Reason Americans Loved Watching King Charles'David Johnston
 +- Re: There's A Good Reason Americans Loved Watching King Charles'David Johnston
 +* Re: There's A Good Reason Americans Loved Watching King Charles' CoronationA Friend
 |`* Re: There's A Good Reason Americans Loved Watching King Charles' CoronationAdam H. Kerman
 | `- Re: There's A Good Reason Americans Loved Watching King Charles' CoronationBering Sea Bar & Brig
 `- Re: There's A Good Reason Americans Loved Watching King Charles' CoronationIrish Mike

1
There's A Good Reason Americans Loved Watching King Charles' Coronation

<u3dcch$86bu$12@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=185464&group=rec.arts.tv#185464

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: There's A Good Reason Americans Loved Watching King Charles' Coronation
Date: Tue, 09 May 2023 07:56:00 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 9 May 2023 11:56 UTC

King Charles III celebrated his highly-publicized coronation over the weekend
and it was every bit as regal as advertised. The media provided non-stop
coverage in the weeks leading up to the event, which was enough to have many
American citizens wondering: but why do we care?

The United States of America fought a bloody war to free themselves from rule
of the British crown. This fact inspires many critics to wonder why, exactly,
we�re so obsessed with the British monarchy. There are several reasons for
this, but Charles� coronation highlighted one of the most prevalent. In
short, Americans are desperately missing the pageantry of a formal ceremony.

Yes, the reigning monarch is a figurehead. And yes, Charles technically
became king upon his mother, Queen Elizabeth II�s death in September. But
there�s no denying the beauty of a solemn, symbolism-heavy ceremony that�s
steeped in centuries of tradition. This is true regardless of anyone�s
personal opinions about King Charles or his politics.

The king was crowned at Westminster Abbey, a visually stunning Gothic style
church erected in the 11th century. The Archbishop of Canterbury, the
Anglican church�s most senior cleric, led the religious ceremony. Charles was
the 40th monarch to be crowned there, following a long line of previous
rulers starting with William the Conqueror on Christmas Day in 1066.

The royal family website described the coronation as a �solemn religious
service� and a �ceremony marking the formal investiture of a monarch with
regal power.�

�The coronation will reflect the monarch�s role today and look towards the
future, while being rooted in longstanding traditions and pageantry,�
Buckingham Palace said in a statement earlier this year.

Since the late 14th century, coronations have followed the instructions laid
out in the Liber Regalis or �royal book,� a medieval Latin manuscript that
describes the order of service, per ABC News.

In an increasingly secularized society, many Americans never experience these
types of culturally significant moments during church services and other
religious occasions. Ancient rituals are often replaced with more modern
ceremonies that bear no connection to the past. Just a glance at the
unadorned lines of modern architecture compared to the intricate details of
Westminster Abbey clearly highlight these changes.

This is one reason an event like a coronation, even in a foreign nation, is
so oddly appealing for someone who isn�t personally affected by the crowning
of kings and queens in the slightest.

Numerous historical artifacts were incorporated into the coronation ceremony,
including King Edward�s Chair, which has been used in these types of
ceremonies for 700 years. This artifact houses the Stone of Destiny, which
was built around 1300 and used for centuries to crown Scottish kings.

Another special item used in the ceremony is a coronation cross which
includes shards of wood from the cross that�s believed to have been used to
crucify Jesus Christ.

The outfits worn by the royal family were all befitting of the important
occasion. The monarch arrived at the ceremony dressed in the crimson velvet
Robe of State, which was also worn by his grandfather King George VI at his
1937 coronation, per Reuters.

King Charles changed into ceremonial regalia worn before being crowned,
slipping on the gold-silk full-length Supertunica coat and Coronation Sword
Belt, and over that, the gold cloth Imperial Mantle, which was originally
made for the coronation of George IV in 1821. This was the oldest vestment
included in the service. Charles was crowned with the historic St. Edward�s
Crown that has been used since the coronation of King Charles II in 1661.

The Prince and Princess of Wales, William and Catherine, also wore formal
robes and mantels over their outfits. Kate wore a visually stunning headpiece
made of silver and crystal leaves.

Charles was the longest-serving heir apparent in history, waiting over 70
years to be crowned king. Now he is reigning monarch but all eyes were on his
oldest son, Prince William, who has become a favorite in the United Kingdom
along with his wife Kate Middleton and their three children, Prince George,
Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis.

George, who is 9, served as a page for his grandfather during the ceremony.
This made him the youngest future king to play an official role in a crowning
ceremony. King Charles and George�s great-grandmother Queen Elizabeth both
attended their parents� coronations in 1953 and 1937 when they were children,
but were only invited to watch the service and didn�t participate.

It�s true that King Charles is more progressive than his mother Queen
Elizabeth, with a specific emphasis on environmentalism and climate activism.
But for all his ideologies, Charles is still firmly rooted in tradition.

Prince William mentioned this during his speech at the coronation concert on
Sunday.

�As my grandmother said, when she was crowned, coronations are a declaration
of our hopes for the future, and I know she�s up there fondly keeping an eye
on us, and she�d be a very proud mother,� the Prince of Wales said.

�My father�s first words, on entering Westminster Abbey yesterday, were a
pledge of service,� he continued.

�It was a pledge to continue to serve, because for over 50 years, in every
corner of the UK, across the Commonwealth, and around the world, he has
dedicated himself to serve others, both current and future generations, and
those whose memory must not be neglected,� William said.

As an increasingly noisy faction of Americans seek to tear down institutions
and subvert tradition at every turn, seeing the beauty and tradition of King
Charles� coronation reminds them of why human beings are naturally drawn to
beauty, truth, and tradition.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: There's A Good Reason Americans Loved Watching King Charles' Coronation

<69d247ec-e185-4591-803d-73d734f98120n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=185484&group=rec.arts.tv#185484

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 09:10:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Tue, 9 May 2023 16:10 UTC

On Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 7:58:15 AM UTC-4, Ubiquitous wrote:
> King Charles III celebrated his highly-publicized coronation over the weekend
> and it was every bit as regal as advertised. The media provided non-stop
> coverage in the weeks leading up to the event, which was enough to have many
> American citizens wondering: but why do we care?

Americans are a silly people.

> The United States of America fought a bloody war to free themselves from rule
> of the British crown. This fact inspires many critics to wonder why, exactly,
> we’re so obsessed with the British monarchy.

The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute tyranny over these States. To prove this, let facts be submitted to a candid world.

He has dissolved representative houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.

https://media.cnn.com/api/v1/images/stellar/prod/230508125105-01b-king-charles-official-portrait-0508-crop.jpg?c=16x9&q=h_720,w_1280,c_fill/f_webp

> short, Americans are desperately missing the pageantry of a formal ceremony.

Americans are a silly people.

-----------------

Bugger OFF !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvMxqcgBhWQ

Re: There's A Good Reason Americans Loved Watching King Charles' Coronation

<u414ns$3kc9p$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186364&group=rec.arts.tv#186364

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: There's A Good Reason Americans Loved Watching King Charles'
Coronation
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 17:48:09 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Tue, 16 May 2023 23:48 UTC

On 2023-05-09 5:56 a.m., Ubiquitous wrote:

> As an increasingly noisy faction of Americans seek to tear down institutions
> and subvert tradition at every turn, seeing the beauty and tradition of King
> Charles’ coronation reminds them of why human beings are naturally drawn to
> beauty, truth, and tradition.

What fucking moron who wrote this drivel confuses truth with pomp and
glitter? British coronations are very much not about truth. They are
exercises in illusion and nostalgia.

Re: There's A Good Reason Americans Loved Watching King Charles' Coronation

<u4174j$3kkoo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186372&group=rec.arts.tv#186372

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Coronation
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 18:29:04 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Wed, 17 May 2023 00:29 UTC

On 2023-05-16 5:52 p.m., RichA wrote:
> On Tuesday, 16 May 2023 at 19:48:17 UTC-4, David Johnston wrote:
>> On 2023-05-09 5:56 a.m., Ubiquitous wrote:
>>
>>> As an increasingly noisy faction of Americans seek to tear down institutions
>>> and subvert tradition at every turn, seeing the beauty and tradition of King
>>> Charles’ coronation reminds them of why human beings are naturally drawn to
>>> beauty, truth, and tradition.
>>>
>> What fucking moron who wrote this drivel confuses truth with pomp and
>> glitter? British coronations are very much not about truth. They are
>> exercises in illusion and nostalgia.
>>

> Yes, they should replace the King as a figurehead with clownish sports figures and 10 minute celebrities and replace parliamentary democracy with a republic where the presidency solely
> is decided by who raises the most money and lies the most convincingly? Eesh!! Meanwhile, the British Royal Family who cost the UK treasury about $100M a year to "run" generate at least
> $40 BILLION in tourists dollars as an effective "business," vastly earning their keep. Unlike second-rate politicians.

Oh, there's definitely money in illusion. More money than there is in
truth.

Re: There's A Good Reason Americans Loved Watching King Charles' Coronation

<160520232218254131%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186392&group=rec.arts.tv#186392

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 22:18:25 -0400
 by: A Friend - Wed, 17 May 2023 02:18 UTC

In article <u414ns$3kc9p$5@dont-email.me>, David Johnston
<davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2023-05-09 5:56 a.m., Ubiquitous wrote:
>
> > As an increasingly noisy faction of Americans seek to tear down institutions
> > and subvert tradition at every turn, seeing the beauty and tradition of King
> > Charles¹ coronation reminds them of why human beings are naturally drawn to
> > beauty, truth, and tradition.
> >

> What fucking moron who wrote this drivel confuses truth with pomp and
> glitter? British coronations are very much not about truth. They are
> exercises in illusion and nostalgia.

FTR the person who wrote this drivel is Amanda Harding of DailyWire.com.

I have no good answer as to why so many Americans are fascinated by
this stuff. We have our own royal rituals, but they involve sports and
entertainment personalities.

Re: There's A Good Reason Americans Loved Watching King Charles' Coronation

<8bf1e79f-7cf7-44b0-acab-5984f1b3b816n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186399&group=rec.arts.tv#186399

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 20:04:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: irishran...@gmail.com (Irish Mike)
 by: Irish Mike - Wed, 17 May 2023 03:04 UTC

On Tuesday, May 16, 2023 at 7:48:17 PM UTC-4, David Johnston wrote:
> On 2023-05-09 5:56 a.m., Ubiquitous wrote:
>
> > As an increasingly noisy faction of Americans seek to tear down institutions
> > and subvert tradition at every turn, seeing the beauty and tradition of King
> > Charles’ coronation reminds them of why human beings are naturally drawn to
> > beauty, truth, and tradition.
> >
> What fucking moron who wrote this drivel confuses truth with pomp and
> glitter? British coronations are very much not about truth. They are
> exercises in illusion and nostalgia.

Being from an Irish family I have little interest in British royalty.
However, I will say poor old King Charlie spent the best years of
his life sitting on the sidelines waiting for his Mum to die.
But now, at 74, he'll probably finally get a couple of years on
the throne.

And Prince Willie and Kate are waiting for old King Charlie
to kick. But, to be totally honest, I do think Kate would make
a hell of a good looking Queen!

Irish Mike

Re: There's A Good Reason Americans Loved Watching King Charles' Coronation

<u41k6t$3pfrm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186405&group=rec.arts.tv#186405

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 04:12:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 17 May 2023 04:12 UTC

A Friend wrote:

>FTR the person who wrote this drivel is Amanda Harding of DailyWire.com.

>I have no good answer as to why so many Americans are fascinated by
>this stuff. We have our own royal rituals, but they involve sports and
>entertainment personalities.

Best thing we ever did was revolt against George III.

Re: There's A Good Reason Americans Loved Watching King Charles' Coronation

<87fb46d8-3178-4e51-829d-6d42bd9861a4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186619&group=rec.arts.tv#186619

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 13:18:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: jgrov...@hotmail.com (Bering Sea Bar & Brig)
 by: Bering Sea Bar & - Thu, 18 May 2023 20:18 UTC

On Tuesday, May 16, 2023 at 11:14:07 PM UTC-5, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> A Friend wrote:
>
> >FTR the person who wrote this drivel is Amanda Harding of DailyWire.com.
>
> >I have no good answer as to why so many Americans are fascinated by
> >this stuff. We have our own royal rituals, but they involve sports and
> >entertainment personalities.
> Best thing we ever did was revolt against George III.

The French would agree too. Otherwise they'd still be waiting for the British to land in Normandy.