... and furthermore ... I don't like your trousers.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Commentary on the writer's strike.

SubjectAuthor
* Commentary on the writer's strike.shawn
+- Re: Commentary on the writer's strike.Dimensional Traveler
+* Re: Commentary on the writer's strike.super70s
|`* Re: Commentary on the writer's strike.A Friend
| `- Re: Commentary on the writer's strike.shawn
+- Re: Commentary on the writer's strike.Irish Mike
+- Re: Commentary on the writer's strike.Ubiquitous
`* Re: Commentary on the writer's strike.Alan Smithee
 `* Re: Commentary on the writer's strike.shawn
  +- Re: Commentary on the writer's strike.anim8rfsk
  `- Re: Commentary on the writer's strike.Alan Smithee

1
Commentary on the writer's strike.

<bsgd5ih2gj32ptdgtii53vigtj0u6br5d1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=185133&group=rec.arts.tv#185133

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Commentary on the writer's strike.
Date: Sat, 06 May 2023 17:21:01 -0400
 by: shawn - Sat, 6 May 2023 21:21 UTC

Just finished watching this video about the strike:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyUcEzgX0Ew

He brings up some interesting (and some funny) points. The funny bit
was about the signs used during the picket lines and the lack of
creativity in them. As for the interesting he points he brings up how
many show writers aren't doing great work but are asking for a pay
raise, the demand for a minimum # of writers on every show and the
poor timing of the strike. With all of the studios firing people and
making cuts because their streaming services aren't doing well it
doesn't seem like the perfect time to ask for a raise as a group.

Re: Commentary on the writer's strike.

<u3700e$36jqu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=185173&group=rec.arts.tv#185173

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Commentary on the writer's strike.
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 18:48:01 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 7 May 2023 01:48 UTC

On 5/6/2023 2:21 PM, shawn wrote:
> Just finished watching this video about the strike:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyUcEzgX0Ew
>

> He brings up some interesting (and some funny) points. The funny bit
> was about the signs used during the picket lines and the lack of
> creativity in them. As for the interesting he points he brings up how
> many show writers aren't doing great work but are asking for a pay
> raise, the demand for a minimum # of writers on every show and the
> poor timing of the strike. With all of the studios firing people and
> making cuts because their streaming services aren't doing well it
> doesn't seem like the perfect time to ask for a raise as a group.

If they don't ask now they won't get one for IDK how many years.

dirty old man.

Re: Commentary on the writer's strike.

<super70s-5D2937.06033807052023@reader.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=185218&group=rec.arts.tv#185218

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 07 May 2023 06:03:38 -0500
 by: super70s - Sun, 7 May 2023 11:03 UTC

In article <bsgd5ih2gj32ptdgtii53vigtj0u6br5d1@4ax.com>,

> Just finished watching this video about the strike:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyUcEzgX0Ew
>

> He brings up some interesting (and some funny) points. The funny bit
> was about the signs used during the picket lines and the lack of
> creativity in them. As for the interesting he points he brings up how
> many show writers aren't doing great work but are asking for a pay
> raise, the demand for a minimum # of writers on every show and the
> poor timing of the strike. With all of the studios firing people and
> making cuts because their streaming services aren't doing well it
> doesn't seem like the perfect time to ask for a raise as a group.

The writers are bitching about the producers possibly using AI in their
place, who's to say the writers wouldn't ever use AI themselves?

Re: Commentary on the writer's strike.

<070520230728178115%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=185221&group=rec.arts.tv#185221

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 07 May 2023 07:28:17 -0400
 by: A Friend - Sun, 7 May 2023 11:28 UTC

In article
<super70s-5D2937.06033807052023@reader.eternal-september.org>, super70s
<super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:

> In article <bsgd5ih2gj32ptdgtii53vigtj0u6br5d1@4ax.com>,
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>
> > Just finished watching this video about the strike:
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyUcEzgX0Ew
> >

> > He brings up some interesting (and some funny) points. The funny bit
> > was about the signs used during the picket lines and the lack of
> > creativity in them. As for the interesting he points he brings up how
> > many show writers aren't doing great work but are asking for a pay
> > raise, the demand for a minimum # of writers on every show and the
> > poor timing of the strike. With all of the studios firing people and
> > making cuts because their streaming services aren't doing well it
> > doesn't seem like the perfect time to ask for a raise as a group.
>
> The writers are bitching about the producers possibly using AI in their
> place, who's to say the writers wouldn't ever use AI themselves?

Most sitcoms I have seen could have been written by robots. It would
go well with the canned laughter.

Re: Commentary on the writer's strike.

<vt3f5ih3csg3409nuc6m3jr8lfvkptb42m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=185222&group=rec.arts.tv#185222

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 07 May 2023 07:53:14 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 7 May 2023 11:53 UTC

On Sun, 07 May 2023 07:28:17 -0400, A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

>In article
><super70s-5D2937.06033807052023@reader.eternal-september.org>, super70s
><super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:
>
>> In article <bsgd5ih2gj32ptdgtii53vigtj0u6br5d1@4ax.com>,
>> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Just finished watching this video about the strike:
>> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyUcEzgX0Ew
>> >

>> > He brings up some interesting (and some funny) points. The funny bit
>> > was about the signs used during the picket lines and the lack of
>> > creativity in them. As for the interesting he points he brings up how
>> > many show writers aren't doing great work but are asking for a pay
>> > raise, the demand for a minimum # of writers on every show and the
>> > poor timing of the strike. With all of the studios firing people and
>> > making cuts because their streaming services aren't doing well it
>> > doesn't seem like the perfect time to ask for a raise as a group.
>>
>> The writers are bitching about the producers possibly using AI in their
>> place, who's to say the writers wouldn't ever use AI themselves?
>

>Most sitcoms I have seen could have been written by robots. It would
>go well with the canned laughter.

There is a channel on Twitch that is 24x7 Seinfeld. Only it wasn't
actually Seinfeld episodes but an AI generated episodes (both the
graphics, the scripts and the voices.)
https://www.twitch.tv/watchmeforever

It's not great, but it does show that is doable. Of course there are
downfalls to AI generated writing like one of the characters making
racist comments that ended up with the creators pulling the character.
At least with the Seinfeld type show the randomness of the AI script
works.

Re: Commentary on the writer's strike.

<c17664fb-ad07-4f36-b4bb-597f7eafd313n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=185241&group=rec.arts.tv#185241

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 08:32:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: irishran...@gmail.com (Irish Mike)
 by: Irish Mike - Sun, 7 May 2023 15:32 UTC

On Saturday, May 6, 2023 at 5:21:07 PM UTC-4, shawn wrote:
> Just finished watching this video about the strike:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyUcEzgX0Ew
>

> He brings up some interesting (and some funny) points. The funny bit
> was about the signs used during the picket lines and the lack of
> creativity in them. As for the interesting he points he brings up how
> many show writers aren't doing great work but are asking for a pay
> raise, the demand for a minimum # of writers on every show and the
> poor timing of the strike. With all of the studios firing people and
> making cuts because their streaming services aren't doing well it
> doesn't seem like the perfect time to ask for a raise as a group.

Well I figure there are still about a ten thousand shows, series and movies
out there that I haven't seen yet. So, I'm not too worried about what the
screen writers unions does.

Irish Mike

Re: Commentary on the writer's strike.

<u3anut$3s48g$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=185343&group=rec.arts.tv#185343

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 08 May 2023 04:30:45 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 8 May 2023 08:30 UTC

nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com wrote:

>Just finished watching this video about the strike:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyUcEzgX0Ew
>

>He brings up some interesting (and some funny) points. The funny bit
>was about the signs used during the picket lines and the lack of
>creativity in them.

Were those lame blank signs bought that way or were they left blank because
the writers who normally designed them were on strike?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: Commentary on the writer's strike.

<u468k5$d2ba$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186643&group=rec.arts.tv#186643

From: alm...@last.inc (Alan Smithee)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 19:25:09 -0300
 by: Alan Smithee - Thu, 18 May 2023 22:25 UTC

So, how much do Hollywood writers make?

According to Indeed and the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), as of
April 2023, the current average income for Hollywood writers is $69,510.
per year.

https://www.distractify.com/p/how-much-do-hollywood-writers-make

Re: Commentary on the writer's strike.

<d0ad6idmm8qaktgpnbb55qgka0aophgde4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186645&group=rec.arts.tv#186645

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 18:35:32 -0400
 by: shawn - Thu, 18 May 2023 22:35 UTC

On Thu, 18 May 2023 19:25:09 -0300, Alan Smithee <alms@last.inc>
wrote:

>So, how much do Hollywood writers make?
>
>According to Indeed and the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), as of
>April 2023, the current average income for Hollywood writers is $69,510.
>per year.
>
>https://www.distractify.com/p/how-much-do-hollywood-writers-make

Which suggests that many writers are not making a living wage since
even a few writers making millions of dollars skews that average
income.

Re: Commentary on the writer's strike.

<584432907.706157103.039592.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186663&group=rec.arts.tv#186663

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 20:10:23 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 19 May 2023 03:10 UTC

> On Thu, 18 May 2023 19:25:09 -0300, Alan Smithee <alms@last.inc>
> wrote:
>
>> So, how much do Hollywood writers make?
>>
>> According to Indeed and the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), as of
>> April 2023, the current average income for Hollywood writers is $69,510.
>> per year.
>>
>> https://www.distractify.com/p/how-much-do-hollywood-writers-make
>
> Which suggests that many writers are not making a living wage since
> even a few writers making millions of dollars skews that average
> income.

Which is why they’re trying to stuff writers rooms with unnecessary and
unwanted bodies.

Re: Commentary on the writer's strike.

<u46uoa$iqst$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186667&group=rec.arts.tv#186667

From: alm...@last.inc (Alan Smithee)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 01:42:48 -0300
 by: Alan Smithee - Fri, 19 May 2023 04:42 UTC

On 05/18/2023 07:35 PM, shawn wrote:
> Which suggests that many writers are not making a living wage since
> even a few writers making millions of dollars skews that average income.

I suspect the median income for many writers is much lower.