One of the worst of my many faults is that I'm too critical of myself.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Bidenflation. Egg prices will never return to pre 2021 levels

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Bidenflation. Egg prices will never return to pre 2021 levelsA Friend
+- Re: Bidenflation. Egg prices will never return to pre 2021 levelsshawn
+- Re: Bidenflation. Egg prices will never return to pre 2021 levelsAdam H. Kerman
+* Re: Bidenflation. Egg prices will never return to pre 2021 levelsNoBody
|`- Re: Bidenflation. Egg prices will never return to pre 2021 levelsThe Horny Goat
`* Re: Bidenflation. Egg prices will never return to pre 2021 levelssuzeeq
 `- Re: Bidenflation. Egg prices will never return to pre 2021 levelsshawn

1
Re: Bidenflation. Egg prices will never return to pre 2021 levels

<210520230740496313%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186884&group=rec.arts.tv#186884

Subject: Re: Bidenflation. Egg prices will never return to pre 2021 levels
From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 07:40:49 -0400
 by: A Friend - Sun, 21 May 2023 11:40 UTC

In article <66904788-1452-49c4-a0d9-485cbcc5f190n@googlegroups.com>,
RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:

> Prices peaked at almost $5/dozen in Jan, are down to around $3.25, but will
> never return to the $1.50/dozen price they were in 2020

That's not "inflation." The price hikes reflected actual supply-chain
problems. That's one of the many things prices *do*.

Also, never say never. I'll bet eggs get cheap again next year -- no
pun, for God's sake, intended.

Re: Bidenflation. Egg prices will never return to pre 2021 levels

<ds1k6itdfmur4nd4fdhcivgvosnu16jtum@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186885&group=rec.arts.tv#186885

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 08:00:36 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 21 May 2023 12:00 UTC

On Sun, 21 May 2023 07:40:49 -0400, A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

>In article <66904788-1452-49c4-a0d9-485cbcc5f190n@googlegroups.com>,
>RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Prices peaked at almost $5/dozen in Jan, are down to around $3.25, but will
>> never return to the $1.50/dozen price they were in 2020
>

>That's not "inflation." The price hikes reflected actual supply-chain
>problems. That's one of the many things prices *do*.
>
>Also, never say never. I'll bet eggs get cheap again next year -- no
>pun, for God's sake, intended.

Of course they will get cheaper. The problem is that many chickens
were killed off due to the bird flu that was spreading through the
population. That resulted in a lack of laying hens and hence a lack of
eggs. It takes time to build up the stock of laying hens and get the
egg production back to pre-flu levels.

Re: Bidenflation. Egg prices will never return to pre 2021 levels

<u4d93h$1k5hc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186896&group=rec.arts.tv#186896

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 14:16:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 21 May 2023 14:16 UTC

A Friend wrote:
>RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:

>>Prices peaked at almost $5/dozen in Jan, are down to around $3.25, but will
>>never return to the $1.50/dozen price they were in 2020

>That's not "inflation." The price hikes reflected actual supply-chain
>problems. That's one of the many things prices *do*.

That's what inflation means, a general price rise. The reason doesn't
matter. To the extent that some inflation was caused by lack of
production -- as shawn pointed out bird flu -- doesn't matter. It's
still inflation.

That's why the Fed jacking up interest rates hasn't been accomplishing
anything to reign in inflation. If anything, making borrowing more
expensive hurts production and won't address supply chain issues.

>Also, never say never. I'll bet eggs get cheap again next year -- no
>pun, for God's sake, intended.

Re: Bidenflation. Egg prices will never return to pre 2021 levels

<8lbk6ipemsumj3kebq9nlgo9fpbrg964j8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186907&group=rec.arts.tv#186907

From: NoB...@nowhere.com (NoBody)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 10:46:57 -0400
 by: NoBody - Sun, 21 May 2023 14:46 UTC

On Sun, 21 May 2023 07:40:49 -0400, A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

>In article <66904788-1452-49c4-a0d9-485cbcc5f190n@googlegroups.com>,
>RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Prices peaked at almost $5/dozen in Jan, are down to around $3.25, but will
>> never return to the $1.50/dozen price they were in 2020
>

>That's not "inflation." The price hikes reflected actual supply-chain
>problems. That's one of the many things prices *do*.

That's not accurate. The prices of everything in food stores have
virtually doubled due to inflation. Been to a store lately?

Re: Bidenflation. Egg prices will never return to pre 2021 levels

<u4dgnm$ab20$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186916&group=rec.arts.tv#186916

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 09:26:26 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Sun, 21 May 2023 16:26 UTC

On 5/21/2023 4:40 AM, A Friend wrote:
> In article <66904788-1452-49c4-a0d9-485cbcc5f190n@googlegroups.com>,
> RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Prices peaked at almost $5/dozen in Jan, are down to around $3.25, but will
>> never return to the $1.50/dozen price they were in 2020
>

> That's not "inflation." The price hikes reflected actual supply-chain
> problems. That's one of the many things prices *do*.
>
> Also, never say never. I'll bet eggs get cheap again next year -- no
> pun, for God's sake, intended.

They've never got nearly as high as $5/dozen here. The highest I think
I've seen is $2.29 when we were used to seeing $1.59 or so. And it
depends which store - we have 2 regional chains, plus Safeway and
walmart. Safeway has always been the highest, WM the cheapest, with one
of the locals only being a dime or so above it, the other one slight
more expensive.

Re: Bidenflation. Egg prices will never return to pre 2021 levels

<lkkk6il2ailfb24s7pkisbqc09pokpksmo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186926&group=rec.arts.tv#186926

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 13:20:34 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 21 May 2023 17:20 UTC

On Sun, 21 May 2023 09:26:26 -0700, suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:

>On 5/21/2023 4:40 AM, A Friend wrote:
>> In article <66904788-1452-49c4-a0d9-485cbcc5f190n@googlegroups.com>,
>> RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Prices peaked at almost $5/dozen in Jan, are down to around $3.25, but will
>>> never return to the $1.50/dozen price they were in 2020
>>

>> That's not "inflation." The price hikes reflected actual supply-chain
>> problems. That's one of the many things prices *do*.
>>
>> Also, never say never. I'll bet eggs get cheap again next year -- no
>> pun, for God's sake, intended.
>>
>They've never got nearly as high as $5/dozen here. The highest I think
>I've seen is $2.29 when we were used to seeing $1.59 or so. And it
>depends which store - we have 2 regional chains, plus Safeway and
>walmart. Safeway has always been the highest, WM the cheapest, with one
>of the locals only being a dime or so above it, the other one slight
>more expensive.

We got to something close to $5/dozen here, but now the price is
around $3.29 so it is coming down. That's at the local Publix. I have
no idea what the price was at other stores as I mostly just shop at my
Publix store.

Re: Bidenflation. Egg prices will never return to pre 2021 levels

<9rnk6id3g492srlmshrd93coss6oma83lu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186928&group=rec.arts.tv#186928

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 11:20:55 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sun, 21 May 2023 18:20 UTC

On Sun, 21 May 2023 10:46:57 -0400, NoBody <NoBody@nowhere.com> wrote:

>>That's not "inflation." The price hikes reflected actual supply-chain
>>problems. That's one of the many things prices *do*.
>
>That's not accurate. The prices of everything in food stores have
>virtually doubled due to inflation. Been to a store lately?

So you're saying prices, wages or any other element in our economy
have doubled in the last 3-4 years?

Inflation is now the worst it's been in the working lifetimes of
anybody 35 or under but by no means has it doubled in that time.

Which was ENTIRELY predictable since all major North American and
European economies when faced with the pandemic rolled the printing
presses to prevent an economic catastrophe with mass layoffs etc.

Any time you increase the money supply faster than the flow of goods
inflation is the inevitable result so no one should be terribly
surprised.

My problem was not that they did it during the first COVID wave but
rather that knowing it was politically popular to keep it going during
the crisis the temptation was overwhelming to KEEP it going after it
was no longer really needed thus making the inflation worse than it
needed to be.

I retired May 2022 which I knew was a bda time to retire but the
alternative was carrying on another five years which I wasn't prepared
to do particularly given my wife's passing in March 2022 - it was just
one of those decisions that you had to do immediately or wait a long
while. I'm not suffering (I had done the usual pre-retirement things
and suddenly found it had to pay for ONE person's retirement rather
than two)

But no question the current inflation was predictable - my daughter
bought a house last summer and is now locked in for 3 more years at
2-3/4% which tells me whether she did it deliberately or not, picked a
darned good time to lock in. She didn't ask me for "fixed rate vs
variable rate" but she clearly chose correctly.