All extremists should be taken out and shot.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)anim8rfsk
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)Dimensional Traveler
||`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)Ubiquitous
|+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)Ian J. Ball
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)Adam H. Kerman
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)anim8rfsk
|  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)Adam H. Kerman
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)Ian J. Ball
 +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)Arthur Lipscomb
 |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)Ian J. Ball
 | `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)Arthur Lipscomb
 `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)anim8rfsk
  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)Ian J. Ball
   `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)anim8rfsk
    +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)Arthur Lipscomb
    |+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)anim8rfsk
    |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)Ian J. Ball
    | `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)anim8rfsk
    `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)anim8rfsk

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)

<UBI20230518@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186677&group=rec.arts.tv#186677

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 04:30:40 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Fri, 19 May 2023 08:30 UTC

After an arduous workout, I watched:

Nothing.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)

<676786375.706191414.239185.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186689&group=rec.arts.tv#186689

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 06:03:02 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 19 May 2023 13:03 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> After an arduous workout, I watched:
>
> Nothing.
>
> What did you watch?

Hey, thanks for asking!

HOLIDAY RIVER PARADE, AND LIGHTING CEREMONY SAN ANTONIO RIVERWALK, 2022.
Yes, I still have a couple parades left over from last Christmas. This is
actually the worst one I’ve ever seen. The San Antonio Riverwalk looks only
to be about 50 feet long and has a foot bridge over it so the “floats“
literally are little floating boats that they stuck some lights on, and
they float past the camera position, while some guy dressed up as the
Grinch from a local community college theater or something makes jokes or
at least what he seems to think of great jokes over and over because nobody
laughed the first time and local celebrities like the mayor’s wife read
from Scripps. It was incredibly dire. Made more so by the fact that they
kept saying, this is the greatest parade in the world.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/yoursa2023/article/san-antonio-riverwalk-people-places-local-17854452.php

I’m not really sure why the magic DVR decided to record some episodes of
CANNON (a QM production) but it did.

S05E01 “nightmares“ was interesting, in that it was a flashback origin
episode, and I had no idea there had ever been such a thing for Cannon. It
seems that he had been the worlds greatest cop until somebody blew up his
wife. The assumption is it was somebody trying to kill him, but he wasn’t
able to solve the case and it drove him crazy, or rather, fat. Yes, it’s
the origin of Monk write down to his beloved, saint and wife, being a
floozy. Just done 30 years earlier. Pretty much the same solution as well.

S05E02 “deadly conspiracy“ was a very special crossover episode with
Barnaby Jones as the two handicapped detectives work on the same case,
Jones determined to find the accused, guilty, regardless of evidence and
Cannon, determined to find the accused innocent, regardless of evidence.
It would’ve been nice if anybody was looking for the truth.

STARGATE SG1 (the “SG” stands for: STARGATE!) S01E01 & 02 “children of the
gods”. Amazon showed me the semi nude versions where they strip down both
women but make sure you don’t get to see any naughty bits. It’s really a
lousy pilot movie looking like a bad TV movie from the 1980s. I really need
to find the real version somewhere.

Starring Michael Shanks girlfriend as Michael Shanks character’s wife:

Safe for work
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BZDhmM2Y1YjUtNDE2MS00N2IwLWI4NzQtMDNkMTJlODhjYjYwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjY1MTgzNzk@._V1_.jpg

So very very not safe for work. I.
https://celebjihad.com/celeb-jihad/images/vaitiare_bandera_nude_stargate.jpg

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)

<u48256$msub$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186695&group=rec.arts.tv#186695

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 07:47:04 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 19 May 2023 14:47 UTC

On 5/19/2023 6:03 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> STARGATE SG1 (the “SG” stands for: STARGATE!) S01E01 & 02 “children of the
> gods”. Amazon showed me the semi nude versions where they strip down both
> women but make sure you don’t get to see any naughty bits. It’s really a
> lousy pilot movie looking like a bad TV movie from the 1980s. I really need
> to find the real version somewhere.

Ya, that was the "re-edited" version done later. The original Not Safe
for Ian version is included in my season 1 box set DVDs. No idea if it
is anymore.

> Starring Michael Shanks girlfriend as Michael Shanks character’s wife:
>
> Safe for work
> https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BZDhmM2Y1YjUtNDE2MS00N2IwLWI4NzQtMDNkMTJlODhjYjYwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjY1MTgzNzk@._V1_.jpg
>
> So very very not safe for work. I.
> https://celebjihad.com/celeb-jihad/images/vaitiare_bandera_nude_stargate.jpg

History's Greatest Mysteries, S3E06 'The Holy Grail'
"It's a treasure coveted by everyone from Roman emperors to Adolf
Hitler; a sacred object said to hold incredible powers of healing,
resurrection and immortality, the Holy Grain is the most sought-after
relic in the world.

-----------------

History's Greatest Mysteries, S4E14 'Who is D.B. Cooper?'
"It's the only unsolved air piracy case in history; in 1971, a man
hijacks a Northwest Orient Airlines flight, demanding four parachutes
and $200,000; he jumps out of the plane with the money and is never seen
again."

What Did You Watch?

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)

<u485qj$ncrq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186702&group=rec.arts.tv#186702

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 08:49:39 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 19 May 2023 15:49 UTC

On 2023-05-19 13:03:02 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> After an arduous workout, I watched:
>>
>> Nothing.
>>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Hey, thanks for asking!
>
> [snip]
> STARGATE SG1 (the “SG” stands for: STARGATE!) S01E01 & 02 “children of the
> gods”. Amazon showed me the semi nude versions where they strip down both
> women but make sure you don’t get to see any naughty bits. It’s really a
> lousy pilot movie looking like a bad TV movie from the 1980s. I really need
> to find the real version somewhere.
>
> Starring Michael Shanks girlfriend as Michael Shanks character’s wife:
>
> Safe for work
> https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BZDhmM2Y1YjUtNDE2MS00N2IwLWI4NzQtMDNkMTJlODhjYjYwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjY1MTgzNzk@._V1_.jpg
>

> So very very not safe for work. I.
> https://celebjihad.com/celeb-jihad/images/vaitiare_bandera_nude_stargate.jpg

He sure seems to have a "type", huh?...

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)

<u488g8$nn6i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186705&group=rec.arts.tv#186705

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 09:35:20 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 19 May 2023 16:35 UTC

On 2023-05-19 08:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

I watched two things in "UHDTV" yesterday - the second episode of
"Class of '09" off Hulu, and "The Matrix" (the original) off (HBO) Max.
Of the two, I have to say that "Class of '09" actually looked better
(overall) - this is not surprising to me, as "Class of '09" was
actually *made* with UHDTV in mind, while "The Matrix" (from 1999!!)
must have been later "up-converted" to UHD and was not exactly "made"
with UHD in mind...

I also go through a movie I've been wanting to see for a while!

Anyway, I ran out of gas yesterday, and did not do any (real) grading
after coming home from work. (It will be a miracle if I get any grading
done today - I'm probably taking most or all of today "off"!!)

When I got home after work, I got through:

soaps: GH - Wed's ep. Eh... I don't think anything happened this ep,
except that "amnesiac" Esme is little different from the "former Esme",
really - she whines about having to stay with Laura, and threatens to
bolt, when Alexis offers Esme a receptionist job which she is
ungrateful about in an entitled way! Eventually she agrees to take the
job. Trina and Curtis wait to take the DNA test. Robert loses it over
Holly's connection to mob boss Selina Wu!

Class of '09 (recorded) - "The Fitness Test" (ep. #2). In UHD!!
Covered extensively in shawn's separate thread.
As I said in that thread, if episode #1 was a "Kate Mara" (Poet)
episode, episode #2 was clearly a "Brian Tyree Henry" (Tayo) episode.
We get background on the character in 2009 and in 2023, and see him in
total control in 2034.
Sidenote: This seemed to look pretty great in UHD. I about 100%
positive that the "mountain" scenes with Tayo in 2023 were process/EFX
shots, but I seriously could not really tell that, even in UHD.

Escape Room (Hulu!) - I've been wanting to see this 2019 film *for
years*, but it's been locked away by Starz almost the entire time. It
looks like it finally just got to Hulu, so I gave it a look.
This is kind of like a non-gory version of "Saw" in some respects -
a group of people find themselves unsuspectingly caught in a serious of
intricately designed deadly traps!
Actually, now that I think about it, it's also kind of similar to
the 2016 British film "The Call Up" (with LotR's Morfydd Clark!) as
well.
Anyway, in this iteration, it's "escape rooms" that our heroes(?!)
have to escape from.
The lead here is Taylor Russell, with a supporting cast that
includes Logan Miller, Deborah Ann Woll and Tyler Labine.
This was decent, though perhaps somewhat uninspired - and by that I
mean this is leterally nothing we haven't seen before.
I found the ending disappointing.
Now, at least, I can finally watch the sequel (if it ever leaves
Starz!!), and the low-budget 2018 antecedent film?!...

The Matrix (HBO Max) - In UHD!!
This did look pretty great, in most places, in UHD. But I feel like
because it wasn't "made" with UHD in mind, not every scene "popped"
like it should in UHD. (Example: The scene where Agent Smith
interrogates "Mr. Anderson" didn't look all that great in UHD.) Other
scenes did look pretty great though.
A surprisingly topical 1999 film, for 2023! it's all about A.I. and
the "robots taking over"! This is happening RIGHT NOW!!
10 years later, Ted Logan is working a soul-crushing programming
job, while being a nighttime hacker on the side, under the names Thomas
A. Anderson and Neo respectively. (It's not clear what his
"side-hustle" is - Is it V.R.?!!)
But, wait! The world is not real!! Neo is made aware of this
unfortunate fact by a cool, spacey-talking cat named "Morpheous", and
his supes-hott superhero bade sidekick named "Trinity". (Who comes up
with these names?!!)
Soon enough, Neo is made aware of some all-too-real uncomfortable
facts, like he's actually in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.
(Conveniently, the details how any of this happened are never
explained, in any of the four movies! as far as I can recollect!!)
And eventually, he's going to have to square off against the
super-EVOL!!1! Agent Smith, who is played by Hugo Weaving, chewing the
scenery like it's the last act left to man before the coming
apocalypse!! (It's too bad Hugo is so difficult to work with, because
he puts in compelling performances.)
This is, without a doubt, a seminal work, every bit as
ground-breaking it's own way as the original "Star Wars".
It's too bad they couldn't leave well enough alone - as a single
film, it's near perfect. But the rest of the franchise is an abject
disappointing mess (film #4 is OK... films #2 & #3 should mostly be
skipped), and they really needed to realize that there was enough here
for one near-perfect film, and nothing else.

Recorded for later: Just GH.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)

<u48fqu$oe1f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186713&group=rec.arts.tv#186713

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 18:40:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 19 May 2023 18:40 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>I'm not really sure why the magic DVR decided to record some episodes of
>CANNON (a QM production) but it did.

>S05E01 "nightmares" was interesting, in that it was a flashback origin
>episode, and I had no idea there had ever been such a thing for Cannon. It
>seems that he had been the worlds greatest cop until somebody blew up his
>wife. The assumption is it was somebody trying to kill him, but he wasn't
>able to solve the case and it drove him crazy, or rather, fat. Yes, it's
>the origin of Monk write down to his beloved, saint and wife, being a
>floozy. Just done 30 years earlier. Pretty much the same solution as well.

How many times did Cannon retcon it though?

I'm just trying to wrap my head about Cannon being fat because BACKSTORY.
Give me a fucking break.

William Conrad was never thin but I've seen him as a supporting actor in
movies before he played Matt Dillon on radio. He was a bit on the heavy
side without being obese. Clearly he packed weight on over the years and
not all at once.

On radio, he was said to be way too fat to play Matt Dillon, hence
recasting for television, but it makes no difference. He was cast because
he had one of the great voices of that era.

>S05E02 "deadly conspiracy" was a very special crossover episode with
>Barnaby Jones as the two handicapped detectives work on the same case,
>Jones determined to find the accused, guilty, regardless of evidence and
>Cannon, determined to find the accused innocent, regardless of evidence.
>It would've been nice if anybody was looking for the truth.

You needed to watch the Mod Squad episode.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)

<1745757021.706216240.202661.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186716&group=rec.arts.tv#186716

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 12:23:28 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 19 May 2023 19:23 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm not really sure why the magic DVR decided to record some episodes of
>> CANNON (a QM production) but it did.
>
>> S05E01 "nightmares" was interesting, in that it was a flashback origin
>> episode, and I had no idea there had ever been such a thing for Cannon. It
>> seems that he had been the worlds greatest cop until somebody blew up his
>> wife. The assumption is it was somebody trying to kill him, but he wasn't
>> able to solve the case and it drove him crazy, or rather, fat. Yes, it's
>> the origin of Monk write down to his beloved, saint and wife, being a
>> floozy. Just done 30 years earlier. Pretty much the same solution as well.
>
> How many times did Cannon retcon it though?

I have no idea, but as far as Monk goes (I watched all of Monk, and I’ve
only glanced at Cannon). I meant that they were matching the two part Monk
finale that had nothing to do with any clue we’d been given the entire
series.

> I'm just trying to wrap my head about Cannon being fat because BACKSTORY.
> Give me a fucking break.

They actually went there. Cannons hooker wife (maybe) got blown up 14 years
ago. This is season five of the show. So somewhere between five and 14
years earlier, he left the force, but became a private detective who really
doesn’t seem to need to work. Anyway, he has to go back and ask questions
of his old cop buddies, and without fail, they mention how he’s gotten fat
in the interim.

> William Conrad was never thin but I've seen him as a supporting actor in
> movies before he played Matt Dillon on radio. He was a bit on the heavy
> side without being obese. Clearly he packed weight on over the years and
> not all at once.
>
> On radio, he was said to be way too fat to play Matt Dillon, hence
> recasting for television, but it makes no difference. He was cast because
> he had one of the great voices of that era.

Also, they did radio cast pictures where they were all in costume and they
all look great.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxIw2mWd8o1nTc0i0iCMBHwDr5x4vacJwnoA&usqp=CAU

He’s not gonna backhand a whole group of bank robbers into submission, but
he’ll happily shoot them dead as he seems to do routinely in Cannon.

>> S05E02 "deadly conspiracy" was a very special crossover episode with
>> Barnaby Jones as the two handicapped detectives work on the same case,
>> Jones determined to find the accused, guilty, regardless of evidence and
>> Cannon, determined to find the accused innocent, regardless of evidence.
>> It would've been nice if anybody was looking for the truth.
>
> You needed to watch the Mod Squad episode.

Mod Squad is one of the other shows they let me watch being filmed when we
visited Paramount to see Star Trek. :-)

In a very real way, you could say that the Mod Squad is my Paramount plus!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)

<u496ji$r2q4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186732&group=rec.arts.tv#186732

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 18:09:04 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sat, 20 May 2023 01:09 UTC

On 5/19/2023 9:35 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2023-05-19 08:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> I watched two things in "UHDTV" yesterday - the second episode of "Class
> of '09" off Hulu, and "The Matrix" (the original) off (HBO) Max. Of the
> two, I have to say that "Class of '09" actually looked better (overall)
> - this is not surprising to me, as "Class of '09" was actually *made*
> with UHDTV in mind, while "The Matrix" (from 1999!!) must have been
> later "up-converted" to UHD and was not exactly "made" with UHD in mind...
>
> I also go through a movie I've been wanting to see for a while!
>
> Anyway, I ran out of gas yesterday, and did not do any (real) grading
> after coming home from work. (It will be a miracle if I get any grading
> done today - I'm probably taking most or all of today "off"!!)
>
> When I got home after work, I got through:
>
> soaps: GH - Wed's ep. Eh... I don't think anything happened this ep,
> except that "amnesiac" Esme is little different from the "former Esme",
> really - she whines about having to stay with Laura, and threatens to
> bolt, when Alexis offers Esme a receptionist job which she is ungrateful
> about in an entitled way! Eventually she agrees to take the job. Trina
> and Curtis wait to take the DNA test. Robert loses it over Holly's
> connection to mob boss Selina Wu!
>
> Class of '09 (recorded) - "The Fitness Test" (ep. #2). In UHD!!
>   Covered extensively in shawn's separate thread.
>   As I said in that thread, if episode #1 was a "Kate Mara" (Poet)
> episode, episode #2 was clearly a "Brian Tyree Henry" (Tayo) episode. We
> get background on the character in 2009 and in 2023, and see him in
> total control in 2034.
>   Sidenote: This seemed to look pretty great in UHD. I about 100%
> positive that the "mountain" scenes with Tayo in 2023 were process/EFX
> shots, but I seriously could not really tell that, even in UHD.
>
> Escape Room (Hulu!) - I've been wanting to see this 2019 film *for
> years*, but it's been locked away by Starz almost the entire time. It
> looks like it finally just got to Hulu, so I gave it a look.
>   This is kind of like a non-gory version of "Saw" in some respects - a
> group of people find themselves unsuspectingly caught in a serious of
> intricately designed deadly traps!
>   Actually, now that I think about it, it's also kind of similar to the
> 2016 British film "The Call Up" (with LotR's Morfydd Clark!) as well.
>   Anyway, in this iteration, it's "escape rooms" that our heroes(?!)
> have to escape from.
>   The lead here is Taylor Russell, with a supporting cast that includes
> Logan Miller, Deborah Ann Woll and Tyler Labine.
>   This was decent, though perhaps somewhat uninspired - and by that I
> mean this is leterally nothing we haven't seen before.
>   I found the ending disappointing.
>   Now, at least, I can finally watch the sequel (if it ever leaves
> Starz!!), and the low-budget 2018 antecedent film?!...

Definitely track down the sequel...

> The Matrix (HBO Max) - In UHD!!
>   This did look pretty great, in most places, in UHD. But I feel like
> because it wasn't "made" with UHD in mind,

Keep in mind the movie has a green tint. So it's not supposed to look
normal. Then added to that is over the years inconsistencies in how it
was shown in home media. The version you're seeing now is probably how
it's *supposed* to look, and it was never meant to look pretty.

Pull up a movie shot on 70mm film (with a new 4K print) like 2001 and
you will see it looks stunning on your UHD.

Keep an eye out for any of these movies in 4K:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_70_mm_films

not every scene "popped" like
> it should in UHD. (Example: The scene where Agent Smith interrogates
> "Mr. Anderson" didn't look all that great in UHD.) Other scenes did look
> pretty great though.
>   A surprisingly topical 1999 film, for 2023! it's all about A.I. and
> the "robots taking over"! This is happening RIGHT NOW!!
>   10 years later, Ted Logan is working a soul-crushing programming job,
> while being a nighttime hacker on the side, under the names Thomas A.
> Anderson and Neo respectively. (It's not clear what his "side-hustle" is
> - Is it V.R.?!!)
>   But, wait! The world is not real!! Neo is made aware of this
> unfortunate fact by a cool, spacey-talking cat named "Morpheous", and
> his supes-hott superhero bade sidekick named "Trinity". (Who comes up
> with these names?!!)
>   Soon enough, Neo is made aware of some all-too-real uncomfortable
> facts, like he's actually in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.
> (Conveniently, the details how any of this happened are never explained,
> in any of the four movies! as far as I can recollect!!)

It's shown in the Animatrix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU8RunvBRZ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61FPP1MElvE

The sky is blackened out here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTLMjHrb_w4

>   And eventually, he's going to have to square off against the
> super-EVOL!!1! Agent Smith, who is played by Hugo Weaving, chewing the
> scenery like it's the last act left to man before the coming
> apocalypse!! (It's too bad Hugo is so difficult to work with, because he
> puts in compelling performances.)
>   This is, without a doubt, a seminal work, every bit as
> ground-breaking it's own way as the original "Star Wars".
>   It's too bad they couldn't leave well enough alone - as a single
> film, it's near perfect. But the rest of the franchise is an abject
> disappointing mess (film #4 is OK... films #2 & #3 should mostly be
> skipped), and they really needed to realize that there was enough here
> for one near-perfect film, and nothing else.
>
> Recorded for later: Just GH.

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I actually prefer The Matrix 2.

I watched:

Mrs. Davis - "The Final Intercut: So I'm Your Horse" - Episode 8 and I
*think* this was the series finale, but I've been down that path before!
Wiki says the show has a 10 episode order, but this episode wrapped
*everything* up. Unless they are doing flashbacks, I really don't see
where they could go next with this show considering they answered all
the questions and gave a definite ending.

Fast X (theatrical) - I'm trying to think what I can possibly say about
this movie without massive spoilers. I'll do my best...

First, this movie was not designed for the casual viewer. You are
expected to have watched all nine previous movies, and remember what
happened in them! Serving as almost a direct sequel to Fast Five,
Aquaman plays the son of that movie's villain. The plot of Fast Five
involved the crew teaming up to rob a drug lord. At the end of the
movie Hobbs straight up murders the drug lord. As he lays helpless on
the ground Hobbs puts two bullets in the drug lord's chest! The drug
lord's son (Aquaman) decides to set out for revenge. Why he waited 5
movies to do this is unclear!

Basically, much like Furious 7, Fast X is a straight up revenge flick
with an unstoppable killer coming after them. But unlike the other
"Fast" movies where the villains were serious, Aquaman plays this role
more like a cross between a manic Riddler and the Joker. To say he is
over the top and chews the scenery would be a serious understatement.
Even Nicholas Cage would beg him to dial it back a little! And unlike
your typical "Fast" movie where the gang is mostly together or broken up
into 2 or may be 3 teams, this one has almost every one off on their
little side mission as they are all on the run from Aquaman. Even Vin
Diesel's kid (who I'm *sure* is not the right age in this movie!) gets
major screen time. However, Aquaman's mission isn't to kill them, but
to make them suffer.

One plot hole (out of many!) is they pretty much gloss over Brian's
character. They acknowledge he exists and is being hunted too, but his
absence under the circumstances is suspicious to say the least. They
really needed to address his absence a *lot* better than they did in
this movie. Which in reality, they don't address it at all. Just
Brian's alive and a target too. Then nothing.

Also of note is this movie is the first of a new "trilogy" and about 90
minutes in it became very clear there was no way they were going to wrap
up all the dangling plot threads. And sure enough this movie does *not*
have an ending. It literally just does a cliffhanger, then ends without
resolving *anything*. So was it good? Um, I guess. I didn't not like it.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)

<u4995m$raud$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186734&group=rec.arts.tv#186734

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 18:52:54 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 20 May 2023 01:52 UTC

On 2023-05-20 01:09:04 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> On 5/19/2023 9:35 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> On 2023-05-19 08:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> I watched two things in "UHDTV" yesterday - the second episode of
>> "Class of '09" off Hulu, and "The Matrix" (the original) off (HBO) Max.
>> Of the two, I have to say that "Class of '09" actually looked better
>> (overall) - this is not surprising to me, as "Class of '09" was
>> actually *made* with UHDTV in mind, while "The Matrix" (from 1999!!)
>> must have been later "up-converted" to UHD and was not exactly "made"
>> with UHD in mind...
>>
>> When I got home after work, I got through:
>>
>> The Matrix (HBO Max) - In UHD!!
>>   This did look pretty great, in most places, in UHD. But I feel like
>> because it wasn't "made" with UHD in mind,
>
> Keep in mind the movie has a green tint. So it's not supposed to look
> normal. Then added to that is over the years inconsistencies in how it
> was shown in home media. The version you're seeing now is probably how
> it's *supposed* to look, and it was never meant to look pretty.

A lot of scenes (esp. the outdoor ones, or the "lobby scene") do look
good. But some of them don't. It probably was intentional.

> Pull up a movie shot on 70mm film (with a new 4K print) like 2001 and
> you will see it looks stunning on your UHD.
>
> Keep an eye out for any of these movies in 4K:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_70_mm_films

I think I checked - I was surprised, but HBO Max does not have "2001"
in 4k. (I earler linked to a page that has all of their 4k offerings,
and it really isn't much - the four "Matrix" flicks, "The Batman" and a
lot of the recent DC flicks, and just a few other things...)

> > not every scene "popped" like
>> it should in UHD. (Example: The scene where Agent Smith interrogates
>> "Mr. Anderson" didn't look all that great in UHD.) Other scenes did
>> look pretty great though.
>>   A surprisingly topical 1999 film, for 2023! it's all about A.I. and
>> the "robots taking over"! This is happening RIGHT NOW!!
>>   10 years later, Ted Logan is working a soul-crushing programming job,
>> while being a nighttime hacker on the side, under the names Thomas A.
>> Anderson and Neo respectively. (It's not clear what his "side-hustle"
>> is - Is it V.R.?!!)
>>   But, wait! The world is not real!! Neo is made aware of this
>> unfortunate fact by a cool, spacey-talking cat named "Morpheous", and
>> his supes-hott superhero bade sidekick named "Trinity". (Who comes up
>> with these names?!!)
>>   Soon enough, Neo is made aware of some all-too-real uncomfortable
>> facts, like he's actually in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.
>> (Conveniently, the details how any of this happened are never
>> explained, in any of the four movies! as far as I can recollect!!)
>
> It's shown in the Animatrix.

This is also on HBO Max. I... *may* check it out.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU8RunvBRZ8
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61FPP1MElvE
>
> The sky is blackened out here:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTLMjHrb_w4
>
>>   And eventually, he's going to have to square off against the
>> super-EVOL!!1! Agent Smith, who is played by Hugo Weaving, chewing the
>> scenery like it's the last act left to man before the coming
>> apocalypse!! (It's too bad Hugo is so difficult to work with, because
>> he puts in compelling performances.)
>>   This is, without a doubt, a seminal work, every bit as
>> ground-breaking it's own way as the original "Star Wars".
>>   It's too bad they couldn't leave well enough alone - as a single
>> film, it's near perfect. But the rest of the franchise is an abject
>> disappointing mess (film #4 is OK... films #2 & #3 should mostly be
>> skipped), and they really needed to realize that there was enough here
>> for one near-perfect film, and nothing else.
>>
>> Recorded for later: Just GH.
>
> I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I actually prefer The Matrix 2.

Uh, wow.

> I watched:
>

> Mrs. Davis - "The Final Intercut: So I'm Your Horse" - Episode 8 and I
> *think* this was the series finale,

"Season" - I think this one has a chance of being renewed.

> but I've been down that path before! Wiki says the show has a 10
> episode order, but this episode wrapped *everything* up.

May have changed - they only list 8 episodes.

> Unless they are doing flashbacks, I really don't see where they could
> go next with this show considering they answered all the questions and
> gave a definite ending.

I had not heard that.

> Fast X (theatrical) - I'm trying to think what I can possibly say about
> this movie without massive spoilers. I'll do my best...

Ironically, I noted that Peacock has "Furious 7", in UHD(!).
But I'm not sure I want to watch it again.

Meanwhile, HBO Max has "F9" ("Fast 9"), and it is *not* in 4k!!?!

> First, this movie was not designed for the casual viewer. You are
> expected to have watched all nine previous movies, and remember what
> happened in them! Serving as almost a direct sequel to Fast Five,
> Aquaman plays the son of that movie's villain. The plot of Fast Five
> involved the crew teaming up to rob a drug lord. At the end of the
> movie Hobbs straight up murders the drug lord. As he lays helpless on
> the ground Hobbs puts two bullets in the drug lord's chest! The drug
> lord's son (Aquaman) decides to set out for revenge. Why he waited 5
> movies to do this is unclear!

Wait, so lemme get this straight! - *Hobbs* shot the dude's father...
and HE'S NOT EVEN IN THE MOVIE!?!?!!

(I'm guessing they don't just kill Hobbs off, off-screen, do they?!)

> Basically, much like Furious 7, Fast X is a straight up revenge flick
> with an unstoppable killer coming after them.

Maybe I should rewatch "Furious 7"...

> But unlike the other "Fast" movies where the villains were serious,
> Aquaman plays this role more like a cross between a manic Riddler and
> the Joker. To say he is over the top and chews the scenery would be a
> serious understatement. Even Nicholas Cage would beg him to dial it
> back a little!

Yeah, I've heard criticisms of this, actually...

> And unlike your typical "Fast" movie where the gang is mostly together
> or broken up into 2 or may be 3 teams, this one has almost every one
> off on their little side mission as they are all on the run from
> Aquaman. Even Vin Diesel's kid (who I'm *sure* is not the right age in
> this movie!) gets major screen time. However, Aquaman's mission isn't
> to kill them, but to make them suffer.
>
> One plot hole (out of many!) is they pretty much gloss over Brian's
> character. They acknowledge he exists and is being hunted too, but his
> absence under the circumstances is suspicious to say the least. They
> really needed to address his absence a *lot* better than they did in
> this movie. Which in reality, they don't address it at all. Just
> Brian's alive and a target too. Then nothing.
>
> Also of note is this movie is the first of a new "trilogy" and about 90
> minutes in it became very clear there was no way they were going to
> wrap up all the dangling plot threads. And sure enough this movie does
> *not* have an ending. It literally just does a cliffhanger, then ends
> without resolving *anything*. So was it good? Um, I guess. I didn't
> not like it.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)

<1679428723.706239686.526654.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186736&group=rec.arts.tv#186736

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 18:54:06 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 20 May 2023 01:54 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-05-19 08:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>

> Escape Room (Hulu!) - I've been wanting to see this 2019 film *for
> years*, but it's been locked away by Starz almost the entire time. It
> looks like it finally just got to Hulu, so I gave it a look.
> This is kind of like a non-gory version of "Saw" in some respects -
> a group of people find themselves unsuspectingly caught in a serious of
> intricately designed deadly traps!
> Actually, now that I think about it, it's also kind of similar to
> the 2016 British film "The Call Up" (with LotR's Morfydd Clark!) as
> well.
> Anyway, in this iteration, it's "escape rooms" that our heroes(?!)
> have to escape from.
> The lead here is Taylor Russell, with a supporting cast that
> includes Logan Miller, Deborah Ann Woll and Tyler Labine.
> This was decent, though perhaps somewhat uninspired - and by that I
> mean this is leterally nothing we haven't seen before.
> I found the ending disappointing.
> Now, at least, I can finally watch the sequel (if it ever leaves
> Starz!!), and the low-budget 2018 antecedent film?!...

Are they actually connected?

I had to go to the IMDb to see where I’ve seen these people before. Taylor
Russell is Judi from lost in space because if two white parents have three
children statistically one of them will be black. Debra Ann wolf I guess I
remember from her being Karen page in Daredevil.

There’s a lot of goofs in the movie many of which are listed on IMDb.

Apparently the whole cast is back in the sequel which screams flashback
city to me.

There’s are two 2017 escape room movies that are available on Tubi. (And
other free services)

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)

<u499vk$v37f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186739&group=rec.arts.tv#186739

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 19:06:44 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 20 May 2023 02:06 UTC

On 2023-05-20 01:54:06 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2023-05-19 08:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Escape Room (Hulu!) - I've been wanting to see this 2019 film *for
>> years*, but it's been locked away by Starz almost the entire time. It
>> looks like it finally just got to Hulu, so I gave it a look.
>> This is kind of like a non-gory version of "Saw" in some respects -
>> a group of people find themselves unsuspectingly caught in a serious of
>> intricately designed deadly traps!
>> Actually, now that I think about it, it's also kind of similar to
>> the 2016 British film "The Call Up" (with LotR's Morfydd Clark!) as
>> well.
>> Anyway, in this iteration, it's "escape rooms" that our heroes(?!)
>> have to escape from.
>> The lead here is Taylor Russell, with a supporting cast that
>> includes Logan Miller, Deborah Ann Woll and Tyler Labine.
>> This was decent, though perhaps somewhat uninspired - and by that I
>> mean this is leterally nothing we haven't seen before.
>> I found the ending disappointing.
>> Now, at least, I can finally watch the sequel (if it ever leaves
>> Starz!!), and the low-budget 2018 antecedent film?!...
>
> Are they actually connected?

I didn't think they were, but apparently they are, as Russell and
Miller are back for it.

> I had to go to the IMDb to see where I’ve seen these people before. Taylor
> Russell is Judi from lost in space because if two white parents have three
> children statistically one of them will be black. Debra Ann wolf I guess I
> remember from her being Karen page in Daredevil.
>
> There’s a lot of goofs in the movie many of which are listed on IMDb.
>
> Apparently the whole cast is back in the sequel which screams flashback
> city to me.
>
> There’s are two 2017 escape room movies that are available on Tubi. (And
> other free services)

One of those must be the "2017" antecedent (unrelated) film I was
talking about above.

Could the other be "Escape: Puzzle of Fear" (2020) with Aubrey
Reynolds?! I've actually seen that one (because of Reynolds), and while
it's not great it does sport a decent twist.

Huh... no: there are actually *two* "2017" "Escape Room" flicks!

Also, you can skip "No Escape Room" (2018) - I watched that on Netflix
once, and was quite disappointed with it.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)

<u49jtk$vvmc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186748&group=rec.arts.tv#186748

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 21:56:14 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sat, 20 May 2023 04:56 UTC

On 5/19/2023 6:52 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> [...]
>>>   It's too bad they couldn't leave well enough alone - as a single
>>> film, it's near perfect. But the rest of the franchise is an abject
>>> disappointing mess (film #4 is OK... films #2 & #3 should mostly be
>>> skipped), and they really needed to realize that there was enough
>>> here for one near-perfect film, and nothing else.
>>>
>>> Recorded for later: Just GH.
>>
>> I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I actually prefer The Matrix 2.
>
> Uh, wow.
>

>> I watched:
>>

>> Mrs. Davis - "The Final Intercut: So I'm Your Horse" - Episode 8 and I
>> *think* this was the series finale,
>
> "Season" - I think this one has a chance of being renewed.
>
>> but I've been down that path before!   Wiki says the show has a 10
>> episode order, but this episode wrapped *everything* up.
>
> May have changed - they only list 8 episodes.

After episode 6 aired they only listed 6 episodes which is why I thought
that was the season finale. Wiki has a bad habit of not listing
episodes until after they air which makes it really hard to know how
many episodes a show is *supposed* to have. I was shocked that it said
10 episodes were ordered, but that only leads to confusion if it is
really only 8.

>> Unless they are doing flashbacks, I really don't see where they could
>> go next with this show considering they answered all the questions and
>> gave a definite ending.
>
> I had not heard that.
>

>> Fast X (theatrical) - I'm trying to think what I can possibly say
>> about this movie without massive spoilers. I'll do my best...
>
> Ironically, I noted that Peacock has "Furious 7", in UHD(!).
> But I'm not sure I want to watch it again.
>
> Meanwhile, HBO Max has "F9" ("Fast 9"), and it is *not* in 4k!!?!
>
>> First, this movie was not designed for the casual viewer.  You are
>> expected to have watched all nine previous movies, and remember what
>> happened in them!  Serving as almost a direct sequel to Fast Five,
>> Aquaman plays the son of that movie's villain.  The plot of Fast Five
>> involved the crew teaming up to rob a drug lord.  At the end of the
>> movie Hobbs straight up murders the drug lord.  As he lays helpless on
>> the ground Hobbs puts two bullets in the drug lord's chest!  The drug
>> lord's son (Aquaman) decides to set out for revenge.  Why he waited 5
>> movies to do this is unclear!
>
> Wait, so lemme get this straight! - *Hobbs* shot the dude's father...
> and HE'S NOT EVEN IN THE MOVIE!?!?!!
>
> (I'm guessing they don't just kill Hobbs off, off-screen, do they?!)

Did you miss the very public fight between Diesel and the Rock? It's
why in Fast 7 they don't share any scenes together then the Rock was
written out of 8 and 9 altogether. There was also that video Diesel
released where he asked the Rock to come back for 10 and the Rock
publicly said NO!!

Bs pbhefr gur Ebpx vf va guvf zbivr! Vg jnf fcbvyrq nobhg n jrrx ntb.
Qhevat gur zbivr gurl fubj n synfuonpx bs gur Ebpx xvyyvat gur qeht
ybeq. Gura nsgre gur zbivr gurer vf n zvq perqvgf fprar juvpu erirnyf
Ndhnzna vf bs pbhefr nyfb gnetrgvat Uboof. Uboof qbrf n qenzngvp erirny
naq onfvpnyyl fnlf pbzr naq trg zr. Ebyy perqvgf.

Gurer'f nabgure gbc frperg pnzrb gung pnhfrq gur nhqvrapr gb tnfc jura
gurl jrer erirnyrq.

>> Basically, much like Furious 7, Fast X is a straight up revenge flick
>> with an unstoppable killer coming after them.
>
> Maybe I should rewatch "Furious 7"...

In terms of important continuity for following 10, 5 and 9 are probably
more important, but for pure entertainment you can't go wrong with 7.

>> But unlike the other "Fast" movies where the villains were serious,
>> Aquaman plays this role more like a cross between a manic Riddler and
>> the Joker.  To say he is over the top and chews the scenery would be a
>> serious understatement. Even Nicholas Cage would beg him to dial it
>> back a little!
>
> Yeah, I've heard criticisms of this, actually...
>
>> And unlike your typical "Fast" movie where the gang is mostly together
>> or broken up into 2 or may be 3 teams, this one has almost every one
>> off on their little side mission as they are all on the run from
>> Aquaman.  Even Vin Diesel's kid (who I'm *sure* is not the right age
>> in this movie!) gets major screen time.  However, Aquaman's mission
>> isn't to kill them, but to make them suffer.
>>
>> One plot hole (out of many!) is they pretty much gloss over Brian's
>> character.  They acknowledge he exists and is being hunted too, but
>> his absence under the circumstances is suspicious to say the least.
>> They really needed to address his absence a *lot* better than they did
>> in this movie.  Which in reality, they don't address it at all.  Just
>> Brian's alive and a target too.  Then nothing.
>>
>> Also of note is this movie is the first of a new "trilogy" and about
>> 90 minutes in it became very clear there was no way they were going to
>> wrap up all the dangling plot threads.  And sure enough this movie
>> does *not* have an ending.  It literally just does a cliffhanger, then
>> ends without resolving *anything*.  So was it good?  Um, I guess.  I
>> didn't not like it.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)

<1218744694.706253263.939754.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186759&group=rec.arts.tv#186759

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 23:29:53 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 20 May 2023 06:29 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-05-20 01:54:06 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> Escape Room (Hulu!) - I've been wanting to see this 2019 film *for
>>> years*, but it's been locked away by Starz almost the entire time. It
>>> looks like it finally just got to Hulu, so I gave it a look.
>>> This is kind of like a non-gory version of "Saw" in some respects -
>>> a group of people find themselves unsuspectingly caught in a serious of
>>> intricately designed deadly traps!
>>> Actually, now that I think about it, it's also kind of similar to
>>> the 2016 British film "The Call Up" (with LotR's Morfydd Clark!) as
>>> well.
>>> Anyway, in this iteration, it's "escape rooms" that our heroes(?!)
>>> have to escape from.
>>> The lead here is Taylor Russell, with a supporting cast that
>>> includes Logan Miller, Deborah Ann Woll and Tyler Labine.
>>> This was decent, though perhaps somewhat uninspired - and by that I
>>> mean this is leterally nothing we haven't seen before.
>>> I found the ending disappointing.
>>> Now, at least, I can finally watch the sequel (if it ever leaves
>>> Starz!!), and the low-budget 2018 antecedent film?!...
>>
>> Are they actually connected?
>
> I didn't think they were, but apparently they are, as Russell and
> Miller are back for it.
>
>> I had to go to the IMDb to see where I’ve seen these people before. Taylor
>> Russell is Judi from lost in space because if two white parents have three
>> children statistically one of them will be black. Debra Ann wolf I guess I
>> remember from her being Karen page in Daredevil.
>>
>> There’s a lot of goofs in the movie many of which are listed on IMDb.
>>
>> Apparently the whole cast is back in the sequel which screams flashback
>> city to me.
>>
>> There’s are two 2017 escape room movies that are available on Tubi. (And
>> other free services)
>
> One of those must be the "2017" antecedent (unrelated) film I was
> talking about above.

Can you give me a clue like a unique cast member so I can tell which one
you’re talking about? Please and thank you.

> Could the other be "Escape: Puzzle of Fear" (2020) with Aubrey
> Reynolds?! I've actually seen that one (because of Reynolds), and while
> it's not great it does sport a decent twist.
>
> Huh... no: there are actually *two* "2017" "Escape Room" flicks!

Yep. I didn’t believe it and spent some time confirming it myself as well.
Although, see below.

Telling the DVR to show me “escape room on Tubi“ yields:
The one we just watched, 2019
Escape room tournament of champions 2021
Escape room 2017 with skeet Ulrich and Sean Young
Escape room 2018 with Evan Williams and Annabel Stevenson.
Escape room quest of fear 2020
No escape Room 2018 that you mention
No escape 2020 with Keegan Allen

> Also, you can skip "No Escape Room" (2018) - I watched that on Netflix
> once, and was quite disappointed with it.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)

<u4aqll$13sgq$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186792&group=rec.arts.tv#186792

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 15:57:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 20 May 2023 15:57 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>>anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>>>I'm not really sure why the magic DVR decided to record some episodes of
>>>CANNON (a QM production) but it did.

>>>S05E01 "nightmares" was interesting, in that it was a flashback origin
>>>episode, and I had no idea there had ever been such a thing for Cannon. It
>>>seems that he had been the worlds greatest cop until somebody blew up his
>>>wife. The assumption is it was somebody trying to kill him, but he wasn't
>>>able to solve the case and it drove him crazy, or rather, fat. Yes, it's
>>>the origin of Monk write down to his beloved, saint and wife, being a
>>>floozy. Just done 30 years earlier. Pretty much the same solution as well.

>>How many times did Cannon retcon it though?

>I have no idea, but as far as Monk goes (I watched all of Monk, and I've
>only glanced at Cannon). I meant that they were matching the two part Monk
>finale that had nothing to do with any clue we'd been given the entire
>series.

Oh! The finale! I thought you were talking about the pilot. The only
thing consistent about the mystery of the murder of Monk's wife was it
was retconned from one episode to the next and I never remembered which
inconsistent part of the backstory was given in what episode.

>>. . .
>>William Conrad was never thin but I've seen him as a supporting actor in
>>movies before he played Matt Dillon on radio. He was a bit on the heavy
>>side without being obese. Clearly he packed weight on over the years and
>>not all at once.
>>On radio, he was said to be way too fat to play Matt Dillon, hence
>>recasting for television, but it makes no difference. He was cast because
>>he had one of the great voices of that era.

>Also, they did radio cast pictures where they were all in costume and they
>all look great.

>https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxIw2mWd8o1nTc0i0iCMBHwDr5x4vacJwnoA&usqp=CAU

You can see he's a little heavier than I remember from his earliest
movies. I think he added weight slowly over a long period of years.

>He's not gonna backhand a whole group of bank robbers into submission, but
>he'll happily shoot them dead as he seems to do routinely in Cannon.

But on Cannon, he regularly ran down bad guys. His obesity was not an
issue, barely an inconvenience.
>>>S05E02 "deadly conspiracy" was a very special crossover episode with
>>>Barnaby Jones as the two handicapped detectives work on the same case,
>>>Jones determined to find the accused, guilty, regardless of evidence and
>>>Cannon, determined to find the accused innocent, regardless of evidence.
>>>It would've been nice if anybody was looking for the truth.

>>You needed to watch the Mod Squad episode.

>Mod Squad is one of the other shows they let me watch being filmed when we
>visited Paramount to see Star Trek. :-)

>In a very real way, you could say that the Mod Squad is my Paramount plus!

Cool

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)

<u4b4ht$151lk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186812&group=rec.arts.tv#186812

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 08:13:51 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sat, 20 May 2023 15:13 UTC

On 5/19/2023 11:29 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2023-05-20 01:54:06 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
snip

>> Could the other be "Escape: Puzzle of Fear" (2020) with Aubrey
>> Reynolds?! I've actually seen that one (because of Reynolds), and while
>> it's not great it does sport a decent twist.
>>
>> Huh... no: there are actually *two* "2017" "Escape Room" flicks!
>>

> Yep. I didn’t believe it and spent some time confirming it myself as well.
> Although, see below.
>
> Telling the DVR to show me “escape room on Tubi“ yields:
> The one we just watched, 2019
> Escape room tournament of champions 2021
> Escape room 2017 with skeet Ulrich and Sean Young
> Escape room 2018 with Evan Williams and Annabel Stevenson.
> Escape room quest of fear 2020
> No escape Room 2018 that you mention
> No escape 2020 with Keegan Allen
>

>> Also, you can skip "No Escape Room" (2018) - I watched that on Netflix
>> once, and was quite disappointed with it.

I had no idea there was an entire "Escape Room" franchise. I'm assuming
these are all knock offs of the theatrical movie? Or at least
capitalizing on the name?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)

<169099426.706313017.706897.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186842&group=rec.arts.tv#186842

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 15:07:07 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 20 May 2023 22:07 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 5/19/2023 11:29 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>>> On 2023-05-20 01:54:06 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
> snip
>

>>> Could the other be "Escape: Puzzle of Fear" (2020) with Aubrey
>>> Reynolds?! I've actually seen that one (because of Reynolds), and while
>>> it's not great it does sport a decent twist.
>>>
>>> Huh... no: there are actually *two* "2017" "Escape Room" flicks!
>>>

>> Yep. I didn’t believe it and spent some time confirming it myself as well.
>> Although, see below.
>>
>> Telling the DVR to show me “escape room on Tubi“ yields:
>> The one we just watched, 2019
>> Escape room tournament of champions 2021
>> Escape room 2017 with skeet Ulrich and Sean Young
>> Escape room 2018 with Evan Williams and Annabel Stevenson.
>> Escape room quest of fear 2020
>> No escape Room 2018 that you mention
>> No escape 2020 with Keegan Allen
>>

>>> Also, you can skip "No Escape Room" (2018) - I watched that on Netflix
>>> once, and was quite disappointed with it.
>>>

> I had no idea there was an entire "Escape Room" franchise. I'm assuming
> these are all knock offs of the theatrical movie? Or at least
> capitalizing on the name?

I honestly don’t know.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)

<u4bq1b$18a0i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186852&group=rec.arts.tv#186852

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 17:52:59 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 21 May 2023 00:52 UTC

On 2023-05-20 15:13:51 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> On 5/19/2023 11:29 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>>> On 2023-05-20 01:54:06 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
> snip
>
>>> Could the other be "Escape: Puzzle of Fear" (2020) with Aubrey
>>> Reynolds?! I've actually seen that one (because of Reynolds), and while
>>> it's not great it does sport a decent twist.
>>>
>>> Huh... no: there are actually *two* "2017" "Escape Room" flicks!
>>
>> Yep. I didn’t believe it and spent some time confirming it myself as well.
>> Although, see below.
>>
>> Telling the DVR to show me “escape room on Tubi“ yields:
>> The one we just watched, 2019
>> Escape room tournament of champions 2021
>> Escape room 2017 with skeet Ulrich and Sean Young
>> Escape room 2018 with Evan Williams and Annabel Stevenson.
>> Escape room quest of fear 2020
>> No escape Room 2018 that you mention
>> No escape 2020 with Keegan Allen
>>
>>> Also, you can skip "No Escape Room" (2018) - I watched that on Netflix
>>> once, and was quite disappointed with it.
>
> I had no idea there was an entire "Escape Room" franchise. I'm
> assuming these are all knock offs of the theatrical movie? Or at least
> capitalizing on the name?

It's not actually "franchise", as only the two films are actually
"related". It's maybe more like a "sub-genre": "escape room horror
flicks".

The 2017(-2018?) flicks seem to predate the 2019 better-known film, so
I think it's coincidental in their case.

But "No Escape" (aka. "Follow Me", which I have also seen, and actually
sports a pretty good ending "twist") and "Escape: Puzzle of Fear" are
almost certainly treading off the successful 2019 film - "No Escape"
actually claims to be from some of the same people as the 2019 film.

It's unclear to me if "No Escape Room" does as well - they may have
found out about the 2019 film being produced, and rushed that one out
the door - it certainly felt like very little effort was put into that
one.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)

<372250733.706392170.352330.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186942&group=rec.arts.tv#186942

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 13:10:14 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 21 May 2023 20:10 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-05-20 15:13:51 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

>> snip

>>> Yep. I didn’t believe it and spent some time confirming it myself as well.
>>> Although, see below.
>>>
>>> Telling the DVR to show me “escape room on Tubi“ yields:
>>> The one we just watched, 2019
>>> Escape room tournament of champions 2021
>>> Escape room 2017 with skeet Ulrich and Sean Young
>>> Escape room 2018 with Evan Williams and Annabel Stevenson.
>>> Escape room quest of fear 2020
>>> No escape Room 2018 that you mention
>>> No escape 2020 with Keegan Allen

>> I had no idea there was an entire "Escape Room" franchise. I'm
>> assuming these are all knock offs of the theatrical movie? Or at least
>> capitalizing on the name?
>
> It's not actually "franchise", as only the two films are actually
> "related". It's maybe more like a "sub-genre": "escape room horror
> flicks".
>
> The 2017(-2018?) flicks seem to predate the 2019 better-known film, so
> I think it's coincidental in their case.
>
> But "No Escape" (aka. "Follow Me", which I have also seen, and actually
> sports a pretty good ending "twist") and "Escape: Puzzle of Fear" are
> almost certainly treading off the successful 2019 film - "No Escape"
> actually claims to be from some of the same people as the 2019 film.
>
> It's unclear to me if "No Escape Room" does as well - they may have
> found out about the 2019 film being produced, and rushed that one out
> the door - it certainly felt like very little effort was put into that
> one.

Thanks for wading into that. It was all news to me and I really didn’t want
to just start guessing wildly. It did feel sort of like the good old days
when Asylum would beat the major studios to the theater with their rip off.
I think the record was PRINCESS OF MARS beating JOHN CARTER to the screen
by three years!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)

<798205820.706392442.273115.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186943&group=rec.arts.tv#186943

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 13:10:15 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 21 May 2023 20:10 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> Are they actually connected?
>>
>> I didn't think they were, but apparently they are, as Russell and
>> Miller are back for it.
>>
>>> I had to go to the IMDb to see where I’ve seen these people before. Taylor
>>> Russell is Judi from lost in space because if two white parents have three
>>> children statistically one of them will be black. Debra Ann wolf I guess I
>>> remember from her being Karen page in Daredevil.
>>>
>>> There’s a lot of goofs in the movie many of which are listed on IMDb.
>>>
>>> Apparently the whole cast is back in the sequel which screams flashback
>>> city to me.
>>>
>>> There’s are two 2017 escape room movies that are available on Tubi. (And
>>> other free services)
>>
>> One of those must be the "2017" antecedent (unrelated) film I was
>> talking about above.
>
> Can you give me a clue like a unique cast member so I can tell which one
> you’re talking about? Please and thank you.
>

>> Could the other be "Escape: Puzzle of Fear" (2020) with Aubrey
>> Reynolds?! I've actually seen that one (because of Reynolds), and while
>> it's not great it does sport a decent twist.
>>
>> Huh... no: there are actually *two* "2017" "Escape Room" flicks!
>>

> Yep. I didn’t believe it and spent some time confirming it myself as well.
> Although, see below.
>
> Telling the DVR to show me “escape room on Tubi“ yields:
> The one we just watched, 2019
> Escape room tournament of champions 2021
> Escape room 2017 with skeet Ulrich and Sean Young
> Escape room 2018 with Evan Williams and Annabel Stevenson.
> Escape room quest of fear 2020
> No escape Room 2018 that you mention
> No escape 2020 with Keegan Allen

I have no idea why all the paragraph returns vanished on that. They came
back when I hit reply! Sorry about that.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-18 (Thursday)

<u4fk0a$25dfb$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187041&group=rec.arts.tv#187041

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 04:30:42 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 22 May 2023 08:30 UTC

In article <u48256$msub$1@dont-email.me>, dtravel@sonic.net wrote:

>History's Greatest Mysteries, S3E06 'The Holy Grail'
>"It's a treasure coveted by everyone from Roman emperors to Adolf
>Hitler; a sacred object said to hold incredible powers of healing,
>resurrection and immortality, the Holy Grain is the most sought-after
>relic in the world.

Again, an object that probably never existed.

>History's Greatest Mysteries, S4E14 'Who is D.B. Cooper?'
>"It's the only unsolved air piracy case in history; in 1971, a man
>hijacks a Northwest Orient Airlines flight, demanding four parachutes
>and $200,000; he jumps out of the plane with the money and is never seen
>again."

Whoever did it probably died when he fell into the river and his body was
swept out to sea.

--
Let's go Brandon!