The idle mind knows not what it is it wants. -- Quintus Ennius

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: [OT] Anothr white man cancelled; only blacks and indigenous people get say in renaming

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] Anothr white man cancelled; only blacks and indigenous peopleRhino2
`* Re: [OT] Anothr white man cancelled; only blacks and indigenous people get say iBTR1701
 +- Re: [OT] Anothr white man cancelled; only blacks and indigenoustrotsky
 +* Re: [OT] Anothr white man cancelled; only blacks andanim8rfsk
 |+- Re: [OT] Anothr white man cancelled; only blacks and indigenous people get say iA Friend
 |`* Re: [OT] Anothr white man cancelled; only blacks and indigenous people get say iThe Horny Goat
 | `- Re: [OT] Anothr white man cancelled; only blacks andanim8rfsk
 +- Re: [OT] Anothr white man cancelled; only blacks and indigenous people get say iD. Ray
 `- Re: [OT] Anothr white man cancelled; only blacks and indigenous people get say iThe Horny Goat

1
[OT] Anothr white man cancelled; only blacks and indigenous people get say in renaming

<752f127f-222b-4997-bb49-6b1909270a28n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186913&group=rec.arts.tv#186913

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 08:48:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [OT] Anothr white man cancelled; only blacks and indigenous people
get say in renaming
From: hughmung...@gmail.com (Rhino2)
 by: Rhino2 - Sun, 21 May 2023 15:48 UTC

Another "colonizer" is being cancelled.

A Scottish politician who was quite powerful in the late 1700s and had many streets, towns, etc. named after him, has fallen afoul of the woke crowd. City Council in Toronto has looking to change the name of the major street named after him and has been persuaded to let a committee of black and indigenous people are going to choose the new name.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2023/05/21/renaming-dundas-street-inside-the-fiery-debate-that-led-to-the-decision-and-why-its-back-in-the-public-eye..html?__vfz=medium%3Dconversations_top_pages

There is considerable debate over whether Henry Dundas actually delayed the ban on slavery in the British Empire but, even leaving that aside, the argument that only the blacks and indigenous people is bizarre all by itself. First of all, what do the indigenous people have to do with any of this? And why doesn't EVERYBODY get a say in what the new name should be, assuming this foolish - and expensive! - name change goes ahead?

Re: [OT] Anothr white man cancelled; only blacks and indigenous people get say in renaming

<OqSdnYaYwPOYHvf5nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186949&group=rec.arts.tv#186949

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] Anothr white man cancelled; only blacks and indigenous people get say in renaming
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 20:45:57 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Sun, 21 May 2023 20:45 UTC

On May 21, 2023 at 8:48:10 AM PDT, "Rhino2" <hughmunguscan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Another "colonizer" is being cancelled.
>
> A Scottish politician who was quite powerful in the late 1700s and had many
> streets, towns, etc. named after him, has fallen afoul of the woke crowd.
> City Council in Toronto has looking to change the name of the major street
> named after him and has been persuaded to let a committee of black and
> indigenous people are going to choose the new name.
>

> https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2023/05/21/renaming-dundas-street-inside-the-fiery-debate-that-led-to-the-decision-and-why-its-back-in-the-public-eye.html?__vfz=medium%3Dconversations_top_pages
>
> There is considerable debate over whether Henry Dundas actually delayed the
> ban on slavery in the British Empire but, even leaving that aside, the
> argument that only the blacks and indigenous people is bizarre all by itself.
> First of all, what do the indigenous people have to do with any of this? And
> why doesn't EVERYBODY get a say in what the new name should be, assuming this
> foolish - and expensive! - name change goes ahead?

The people in Toronto should just keep calling it Dundas regardless of what
the city names it.

Decades ago, back when every city in America felt they had to name something
after Martin Luther King, I was living in Austin and they had a huge debate
about turning 1st Street into "Martin Luther King Way". A lot of businesses
were having heartburn over it because of the cost of changing all their
signage and advertising and everything from checks to business cards, but the
city council eventually rammed it through over the objections of the citizenry
as they usually do. However, "Martin Luther King Way" was such a mouthful to
say over and over again that people just started calling it "MLK Way", which
quickly morphed into "Milky Way" and now that's the de facto name of the
street. No one in Austin says "Martin Luther King Way" and most of the
businesses use "Milky Way" in their advertising and signage and billboards
now, many of them with some kind of space/galactic theme with no reference to
Martin Luther King at all, i.e., "Milky Way Dry Cleaners".

Re: [OT] Anothr white man cancelled; only blacks and indigenous people get say in renaming

<TIvaM.1965717$t5W7.1923901@fx13.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186952&group=rec.arts.tv#186952

Subject: Re: [OT] Anothr white man cancelled; only blacks and indigenous
people get say in renaming
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 16:05:55 -0500
 by: trotsky - Sun, 21 May 2023 21:05 UTC

On 5/21/23 3:45 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On May 21, 2023 at 8:48:10 AM PDT, "Rhino2" <hughmunguscan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Another "colonizer" is being cancelled.
>>
>> A Scottish politician who was quite powerful in the late 1700s and had many
>> streets, towns, etc. named after him, has fallen afoul of the woke crowd.
>> City Council in Toronto has looking to change the name of the major street
>> named after him and has been persuaded to let a committee of black and
>> indigenous people are going to choose the new name.
>>

>> https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2023/05/21/renaming-dundas-street-inside-the-fiery-debate-that-led-to-the-decision-and-why-its-back-in-the-public-eye.html?__vfz=medium%3Dconversations_top_pages
>>
>> There is considerable debate over whether Henry Dundas actually delayed the
>> ban on slavery in the British Empire but, even leaving that aside, the
>> argument that only the blacks and indigenous people is bizarre all by itself.
>> First of all, what do the indigenous people have to do with any of this? And
>> why doesn't EVERYBODY get a say in what the new name should be, assuming this
>> foolish - and expensive! - name change goes ahead?
>
> The people in Toronto should just keep calling it Dundas regardless of what
> the city names it.

Excellent pretzel logic. What if the people of Toronto just want to
call it what the city names it? Won't the Oath Keepers approve?

> Decades ago, back when every city in America felt they had to name something
> after Martin Luther King, I was living in Austin and they had a huge debate
> about turning 1st Street into "Martin Luther King Way". A lot of businesses
> were having heartburn over it because of the cost of changing all their
> signage and advertising and everything from checks to business cards, but the
> city council eventually rammed it through over the objections of the citizenry
> as they usually do. However, "Martin Luther King Way" was such a mouthful to
> say over and over again that people just started calling it "MLK Way", which
> quickly morphed into "Milky Way" and now that's the de facto name of the
> street. No one in Austin says "Martin Luther King Way" and most of the
> businesses use "Milky Way" in their advertising and signage and billboards
> now, many of them with some kind of space/galactic theme with no reference to
> Martin Luther King at all, i.e., "Milky Way Dry Cleaners".

Re: [OT] Anothr white man cancelled; only blacks and indigenous people get say in renaming

<114873931.706396323.525702.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186957&group=rec.arts.tv#186957

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] Anothr white man cancelled; only blacks and
indigenous people get say in renaming
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 15:24:56 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 21 May 2023 22:24 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> On May 21, 2023 at 8:48:10 AM PDT, "Rhino2" <hughmunguscan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Another "colonizer" is being cancelled.
>>
>> A Scottish politician who was quite powerful in the late 1700s and had many
> streets, towns, etc. named after him, has fallen afoul of the woke crowd.
> City Council in Toronto has looking to change the name of the major street
> named after him and has been persuaded to let a committee of black and
> indigenous people are going to choose the new name.
>>
>>> https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2023/05/21/renaming-dundas-street-inside-the-fiery-debate-that-led-to-the-decision-and-why-its-back-in-the-public-eye.html?__vfz=medium%3Dconversations_top_pages
>>
>> There is considerable debate over whether Henry Dundas actually delayed the
> ban on slavery in the British Empire but, even leaving that aside, the
> argument that only the blacks and indigenous people is bizarre all by itself.
> First of all, what do the indigenous people have to do with any of this? And
> why doesn't EVERYBODY get a say in what the new name should be, assuming this
> foolish - and expensive! - name change goes ahead?
>
> The people in Toronto should just keep calling it Dundas regardless of what
the city names it.

> Decades ago, back when every city in America felt they had to name something
after Martin Luther King, I was living in Austin and they had a huge debate
about turning 1st Street into "Martin Luther King Way". A lot of businesses
were having heartburn over it because of the cost of changing all their
signage and advertising and everything from checks to business cards, but
the
city council eventually rammed it through over the objections of the
citizenry
as they usually do. However, "Martin Luther King Way" was such a mouthful
say over and over again that people just started calling it "MLK Way",
which
quickly morphed into "Milky Way" and now that's the de facto name of the
street. No one in Austin says "Martin Luther King Way" and most of the
businesses use "Milky Way" in their advertising and signage and billboards
now, many of them with some kind of space/galactic theme with no reference
Martin Luther King at all, i.e., "Milky Way Dry Cleaners".

“Honorable Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard“ ended up just
being an honorary thing in Phoenix as well. The street signs carry, the
actual street name and a short stretch of it carries a smaller sign with
the fake name. Same as we have neighborhoods that have weird little
ancillary area signs. And it’s a miserable barren stretch of warehouses
and dirt lots anyway.

Re: [OT] Anothr white man cancelled; only blacks and indigenous people get say in renaming

<doJtPPqsWozKaogrKLhxvmvuVTrXKmZM@news.usenet.farm>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186965&group=rec.arts.tv#186965

From: d...@ray (D. Ray)
Date: Sun, 21 May 23 22:33:02 UTC
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
 by: D. Ray - Sun, 21 May 2023 22:33 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> On May 21, 2023 at 8:48:10 AM PDT, "Rhino2" <hughmunguscan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Another "colonizer" is being cancelled.
>>
>> A Scottish politician who was quite powerful in the late 1700s and had many
>> streets, towns, etc. named after him, has fallen afoul of the woke crowd.
>> City Council in Toronto has looking to change the name of the major street
>> named after him and has been persuaded to let a committee of black and
>> indigenous people are going to choose the new name.
>>

>> https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2023/05/21/renaming-dundas-street-inside-the-fiery-debate-that-led-to-the-decision-and-why-its-back-in-the-public-eye.html?__vfz=medium%3Dconversations_top_pages
>>
>> There is considerable debate over whether Henry Dundas actually delayed the
>> ban on slavery in the British Empire but, even leaving that aside, the
>> argument that only the blacks and indigenous people is bizarre all by itself.
>> First of all, what do the indigenous people have to do with any of this? And
>> why doesn't EVERYBODY get a say in what the new name should be, assuming this
>> foolish - and expensive! - name change goes ahead?
>
> The people in Toronto should just keep calling it Dundas regardless of what
> the city names it.

No, people in Toronto should fight for their right to have a say in what
their streets are called. No White guilt, no White shame.

> Decades ago, back when every city in America felt they had to name something
> after Martin Luther King, I was living in Austin and they had a huge debate
> about turning 1st Street into "Martin Luther King Way". A lot of businesses
> were having heartburn over it because of the cost of changing all their
> signage and advertising and everything from checks to business cards, but the
> city council eventually rammed it through over the objections of the citizenry
> as they usually do. However, "Martin Luther King Way" was such a mouthful to
> say over and over again that people just started calling it "MLK Way", which
> quickly morphed into "Milky Way" and now that's the de facto name of the
> street. No one in Austin says "Martin Luther King Way" and most of the
> businesses use "Milky Way" in their advertising and signage and billboards
> now, many of them with some kind of space/galactic theme with no reference to
> Martin Luther King at all, i.e., "Milky Way Dry Cleaners".

Re: [OT] Anothr white man cancelled; only blacks and indigenous people get say in renaming

<210520232215091222%nope@noway.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187001&group=rec.arts.tv#187001

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 22:15:09 -0400
 by: A Friend - Mon, 22 May 2023 02:15 UTC

In article
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> ³Honorable Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard³ ended up just
> being an honorary thing in Phoenix as well. The street signs carry, the
> actual street name and a short stretch of it carries a smaller sign with
> the fake name. Same as we have neighborhoods that have weird little
> ancillary area signs. And it¹s a miserable barren stretch of warehouses
> and dirt lots anyway.

There was insistence from some quarters at the time that any street or
avenue name had to be named the "Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King" Whatever,
and many didn't see the need to list all his titles. The public
decided on MLK instead of "King."

Re: [OT] Anothr white man cancelled; only blacks and indigenous people get say in renaming

<jjsl6i9k41a2e0j433blkkotvur7u8bevk@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187016&group=rec.arts.tv#187016

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 21:44:01 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 22 May 2023 04:44 UTC

On Sun, 21 May 2023 20:45:57 +0000, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>On May 21, 2023 at 8:48:10 AM PDT, "Rhino2" <hughmunguscan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Another "colonizer" is being cancelled.
>>
> A Scottish politician who was quite powerful in the late 1700s and had many
>> streets, towns, etc. named after him, has fallen afoul of the woke crowd.
>> City Council in Toronto has looking to change the name of the major street
>> named after him and has been persuaded to let a committee of black and
>> indigenous people are going to choose the new name.
>>

>> https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2023/05/21/renaming-dundas-street-inside-the-fiery-debate-that-led-to-the-decision-and-why-its-back-in-the-public-eye.html?__vfz=medium%3Dconversations_top_pages
>>
>> There is considerable debate over whether Henry Dundas actually delayed the
>> ban on slavery in the British Empire but, even leaving that aside, the
>> argument that only the blacks and indigenous people is bizarre all by itself.
>> First of all, what do the indigenous people have to do with any of this? And
>> why doesn't EVERYBODY get a say in what the new name should be, assuming this
>> foolish - and expensive! - name change goes ahead?
>
>The people in Toronto should just keep calling it Dundas regardless of what
>the city names it.

The fact that the Toronto City Council considers racial identity a
factor on who does and does not get a say on whether to rename a
street and if so what to rename it to is in itself racist though good
luck getting a court hearing till long after the deed is done.

Sometimes - nay OFTEN - I am embarassed for my country and while I'm
not a native Torontonian, I did live there once.

Re: [OT] Anothr white man cancelled; only blacks and indigenous people get say in renaming

<qpsl6idk1gb676jgsvmob8uo56fb8oeko7@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187017&group=rec.arts.tv#187017

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 21:46:27 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 22 May 2023 04:46 UTC

On Sun, 21 May 2023 15:24:56 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>“Honorable Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard“ ended up just
>being an honorary thing in Phoenix as well. The street signs carry, the
>actual street name and a short stretch of it carries a smaller sign with
>the fake name. Same as we have neighborhoods that have weird little
>ancillary area signs. And it’s a miserable barren stretch of warehouses
>and dirt lots anyway.

I don't know any Canadian city that has either done the "short
stretch" or "ancillary area" signs other than designated Chinatowns.

In any case how is the term 'honorable' awarded in the US? In Canada
it's generally used only for federal and provincial cabinet ministers.

Re: [OT] Anothr white man cancelled; only blacks and indigenous people get say in renaming

<491895339.706427955.346590.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187030&group=rec.arts.tv#187030

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
indigenous people get say in renaming
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 23:12:05 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 22 May 2023 06:12 UTC

The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 May 2023 15:24:56 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> “Honorable Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard“ ended up just
>> being an honorary thing in Phoenix as well. The street signs carry, the
>> actual street name and a short stretch of it carries a smaller sign with
>> the fake name. Same as we have neighborhoods that have weird little
>> ancillary area signs. And it’s a miserable barren stretch of warehouses
>> and dirt lots anyway.
>>
> I don't know any Canadian city that has either done the "short
> stretch" or "ancillary area" signs other than designated Chinatowns.
>
> In any case how is the term 'honorable' awarded in the US? In Canada
> it's generally used only for federal and provincial cabinet ministers.

I honestly have no idea if there’s any official way to get the word
honorable stuck onto your name. In general usage, it means “third place“
(honest) as in grand prize, runner-up, honorable mention.. mr. Google says
it’s mostly used by judges.

Mr. wiki says there are over 600 streets named for him. Here is the
information on Phoenix:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_streets_named_after_Martin_Luther_King_Jr.

Phoenix: Phoenix was one of the last major cities not to have a major
street named after Martin Luther King, Jr. In 2015, a 13-mile stretch of
Broadway Road in the predominately Black and Hispanic South Phoenix
neighborhood was unofficially renamed Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard
between 67th Avenue and 48th Street. Broadway retains its original name, as
the MLK Boulevard street signs are mainly posted at intersections with a
traffic light.