Example is not the main thing in influencing others. It is the only thing. -- Albert Schweitzer

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)Ian J. Ball
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)shawn
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)Arthur Lipscomb
|| +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)Dimensional Traveler
|| |+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)Arthur Lipscomb
|| |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)anim8rfsk
|| | `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)Dimensional Traveler
|| |  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)anim8rfsk
|| |   `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)Dimensional Traveler
|| |    `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)anim8rfsk
|| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)Ubiquitous
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)anim8rfsk
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)Ian J. Ball
|  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)Dimensional Traveler
|   `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)anim8rfsk
|    `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)Adam H. Kerman
|     `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)Dimensional Traveler
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)BTR1701
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)BTR1701
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)Arthur Lipscomb
|| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)BTR1701
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)Ian J. Ball
| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)BTR1701
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)tenworld
 +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)anim8rfsk
 `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)Ubiquitous
  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)tenworld
   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)Ubiquitous

Pages:12
What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)

<UBI20230519@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186775&group=rec.arts.tv#186775

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 04:30:40 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sat, 20 May 2023 08:30 UTC

I watched:

THE NEWS AND WHY IT MATTERS:
"Chief Propagandist Rachel Maddow REFUSES to Believe Durham Report".
BlazeTV contributors Eric July and Jaco Booyens join the show today to
discuss the leftist media refusing to air the Durham report, after
years of pushing the lie that Trump colluded with Russia to win the
election. MSNBC's Rachel Maddow dismissed the Durham report after
spending years pushing the collusion narrative. A New York City woman
is fighting back today after being called a racist because she refused
to give up her Citi bike. The woman has since hired a lawyer and is
fighting back. Texas Governor Greg Abbott will soon sign a new bill
that will make performing sexual drag shows in front of children a
criminal offense. And it's Friday; that means Sara is answering your
questions. Sara helps a concerned father talk to his 17-year-old
daughter about pornographic books in schools.
https://youtu.be/GNi7pKmbHow

FRINGE:
"Bad Dreams". A suicide at New York City's Grand Central station is
witnessed by Olivia in a dream, kicking off a baffling series of
nightmares that may be linked to the ZFT manifesto, the drug
Cortexiphan and her own childhood. Wow, apparently I missed a lot the
last tine I watched this without having seen earlier eps!

THE UNXPLAINED:
This was about rituals, begining with the Moslem pilgramage to Mecha.

VANDERPUMP RULES:
"There's Something About Her". Ariana and Katie host a preview party
for their sandwich shop; James takes an exciting step forward in his
career; Tom and Ariana have a serious talk about the state of their
relationship; Raquel confronts Katie for rage-texting Schwartz.

Finally got to watch the entire ep:

James complains about how his elaborate proposal to Raquchel was a huge
waste.

Before the Something About Her event, the Tom's talk about Schwartz and
Raquchel making out.

The SAH open house begins! Oh no! Arriana dropped some glassware they
borrowed from S&S!

Successful businesswoman Lisa Vanderbucks arrives and makes a joke
about woman-power, drops some shade on James, then very unsubtly tells
everyone it's her birthday.

Terri, Katie's mother arrives.

Schemer literally phones it in.

LaLa and Logan, who is uncredited, arrive. Why is Logan no longer
credited as DJ Muppet Baby's friend and ex-roommate? [thinking]

The Toms arrive. I noticed Sandoval looked bored.

Later, the festivities move to SUR, where more sandwiches are sampled.

Ariana and Katie show off three other kinds of sandwiches SAH will be
offering.

Schwartz and Katie get into an argument. Why is Terri involving
herself?

Meanwhile, Ariana and Raquchel talk about the state of Ariana and
Sandoval's relationship. Hmm... [thinking] Ariana confides that she is
insecure about her body. Raquchel does a #MeToo and agrees.

Meanwhile, motherly matron Lisa Vandebucks and LaLa chat. LaLa tells
her she wants to have another baby for all the wrong reasons and Lisa
points this out. Why is LaLa wearing a Hefty Trash Bag in her TH
confessional?

Raquchel complements Katie on the sandwiches and asks about Katie
"rage-texting" Schwartz again in the recent past, starting a fight.
LaLa and Terri appear pleased as they watch. Ugh. [eye roll] Katie
calls Raquchel a c_nt and Terri joins the fracas and calls the whole
thing "hateful", causing me to roll my eyes and to understand why Katie
sends "rage texts". Someone drops the bomb that Katie had cheated on
Schwartz. :-O Sandoval and Ariana join the fight to stick up for
Raquchel, who is being gang piled by Katie, LaLa, and Terri. I am
beginning to despise these three. Someone comments that Schwartz hiding
behind some bushes isn't helping, followed by a quick cut to him trying
to whistle innocently. Heh. Ariana has a break-down, which I understand
after what she's been thru and this conflict between her friends.

Katie is fed up and leaves. LaLa immediately tattles to her about
Schwartz and Raquchel snickering about her fleeing, so she turns around
and creates a scene in the SUR alley. Good times!

Hostilities cease when birthday girl Lisa Vanderbuck's cake is brought
out. Of course, she makes a lame blow job joke after blowing out the
candles, followed by a season finale speech that everyone listened to
in rapt attention. I can only assume this was to be the season
"finally" before Scandoval broke out. We are shown previews of the new
finally -- hey, it's Kristen!

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)

<u4aurq$14fc5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186799&group=rec.arts.tv#186799

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 10:09:14 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 20 May 2023 17:09 UTC

On 2023-05-20 08:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

Yesterday, I did a little grading, but mostly took it easy - I didn't
even watch a movie at night, as I was kind of too tired for it. I did
watch the third thing in 3 days in 4k/UHD though!:

soaps: DOOL - Thur's ep. Sloan accidentally discovers that Nicole is
actually preggers, and not going through "The Change" (I'm disappointed
that none of the characters have called it that!) Sloan is so stupid!:
She lets Nicole convince her not to tell Eric - this is guaranteed to
blow up in Sloan's face!... Thank Goodness! They seem to finally be
wrapping up this nonsense with Sloan's brother! - 1) Rafe and Jada
discover that "Colin Firth" is actually Sloan's brother, and are
actively looking for him. 2) It looks like Talia is going to chicken
out and confess to Chanel. 3) Colin tricks Paulina and Abe so he can be
alone with them, and then physically attacks them. Clearly the jig is
up!

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (Disney+) - OK, first, this
absolutely *looks great* in UHD. Sounds good too in Dolby Atmos.
But the first problem is that this movie is nearly *100% CGI*
(backgrounds). So, yeah - it looks great, but it's basically a CGI
cartoon. I mean, I'm sure "Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse" also looks
great in 4k too, but it is an *actual* cartoon!
Second, this film dumps almost all of the supporting cast from the
first two films - I think this was a big mistake. This robs Paul Rudd
(sidenote: Rudd is starting to look f**king *old* now!) (and Lilly as
well) of the opportunity to interact with the supporting cast, which is
where a lot of the humor in the first two "Ant-Man" films came from.
As a result, this movie is just *not very funny*.
Finally, as Anim says, the villain of this movie is Kang, and that's
just not very compelling...
(Sidenote: Why did Lilly butcher her hair?!! So dumb...)
Also, so they recast Emma Fuhrmann with Kathryn Newton as Scott's
daughter Cassie, and with what they had the character do here, I'm not
even sure the recast was necessary - It's not like this role gave
Newton any particular chance to "shine". Fuhrmann likely could have
done any of this as well.
I agree with Anim - this is far from the worst "Marvel"
movie/project. But it's definitely the worst "Ant-Man" movie! By, like,
*a lot*!
As this looks like it may well be the last "Ant-Man" flick, that's a
real shame.

Class of '09 (Hulu) - "Thank You for Not Driving" (ep. #3). Again,
covered extensively in shawn's separate thread.
As a result, I don't have much to add. This episode does maybe start
to hint at why Tayo goes around the bend for the A.I. though - I'm
guessing his wife is going to get killed, which is going to make him
totally gung ho for it.

Recorded for later: Just GH.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)

<m20th6i98ljli0a3u9plbj7dmhoo4fcpen8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186801&group=rec.arts.tv#186801

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 12:39:08 -0400
 by: shawn - Sat, 20 May 2023 16:39 UTC

On Sat, 20 May 2023 07:41:36 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>Stargate SG-1, S5E04 'The Fifth Man' (DVD)
>"In escaping a large contingent of Jaffa, SG-1 is forced to leave behind
>Jack and Lt. Tyler, a new member of the team. Back on Earth no one can
>recall Lt. Tyler, so Sam, Teal'c, and Daniel must find a way to save
>Jack while they are quarantined. Meanwhile Jack and Lt. Tyler struggle
>to escape the enemy Jaffa."
>

>Colonel Jack O'Neill: I wasn't gonna let you die, Lieutenant. It's,
>like, a ton of paperwork.
>Lt. Tyler: Paperwork?
>Colonel Jack O'Neill: It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from
>my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.
>
>Major Samantha Carter: My access code isn't working. They must have
>decided we're a security risk and locked us out.
>Dr. Daniel Jackson: So you can't get in.
>Major Samantha Carter: I didn't say that.
>
>Trivia: A shot of O'Neill stepping over a large number of Jaffa corpses
>on the way to the Stargate was cut as it was felt this would spoil an
>otherwise happy ending. Even with this cut, according to director Peter
>DeLuise this episode has the highest on-screen body count of the entire
>series.
>

>Commentary by Peter DeLuise (director) and the two writers. The episode
>starts in a place called Red Rock Canyon, so named because 'The X-Files'
>painted the rocks red for one of their episodes and other productions
>since have taken advantage of it. They actually shot a real outdoors at
>night scene and the frogs were LOUD!! Members of the crew were actually
>screaming at the frogs to shut up. LOL. So the commentators are
>reassuring us that no animals were physically hurt during filming but
>their feelings might have been.
>

>What Did You Watch?

I watched Class of 09 as discussed in my other post.

In addition I watched the latest episode of STATION 19.
What got me about this one was first they had a fire occur in the
walls of a building that apparently is regularly used for events but
the electrical system hadn't been upgraded since the 20s. Oh, and
there was a rats nest of extra wires running around in the basement
where the fire was occurring. Something that even the most casual
inspection should have caused some warnings to be given out.
Especially for a place holding the Fireman's Ball.

Then we get to the collapse. The idea is that with so many people
dancing on the wooden floor it caused it to collapse when they were
all hoping to a song. Nothing wrong with that as they showed the floor
collapsing in one massive piece with the people on it dropping about
15-20 feet. What got me was when they cut to the people below there
was no sign of the wooden floor they had been dancing on.

Further more there were many people that were buried under this
concrete floor. I'm willing to accept that there was a concrete floor
underneath the wooden dance floor but how did the concrete end up
covering the people. It would mean the people fell faster than the
concrete since it was just a straight drop down one floor for
everything. Admittedly it gave the tense moments with the Fire Chief
being buried but found alive and with Dixon being killed off. Of
course they also had Ruiz being a complete ass hat that would have
ruined any relationship. But he had been acting that way ever since he
became acting Captain so I suppose that shouldn't be a huge surprise.
Makes me wonder how they are going to keep him around unless he
changes his attitude because he would be too disruptive to stay around
19 with his current attitude. Let alone him making out with the new
girl.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)

<5CadnYtSVpLai_T5nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186813&group=rec.arts.tv#186813

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 18:49:43 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 20 May 2023 18:49 UTC

On May 20, 2023 at 1:30:40 AM PDT, "Ubiquitous" <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> What did you watch?

I watched the LAW & ORDER crossovers/season finales.

They wrapped up the storyline about the incel computer genius who constructed
a crime-for-hire site on the dark web where people can post 'jobs' (murder my
boss, rape my ex-wife, etc.) in exchange for bitcoins. Benson's team (and wow,
Hargitay is really starting to look rode hard and put up wet) stumbles across
this after a series of rapes are committed by different perps but all with the
same unique MO. They cross-contaminate the case with OCCB, mainly so that
Stabler and Benson can do a lot of creepy old people flirting.

The incel is eventually traced by Jet (Stabler's deus ex hackina) to Ohio, so
the FBI gets involved and eventually the entire SUV and OCCB teams fly out to
Ohio, where NYPD inexplicably becomes the lead agency, serving warrants,
making arrests, conducting interviews, etc. (Do I have to say it? That's not
how this works. It's not how any of this works.)

When they finally corner the incel out in a remote woodsy campground, he gets
off a few shots with a rifle, one of which hits Whelan (one of the OCCB
detectives) in the neck and paralyzes him from the neck down. Later in the
hospital, he tells Gonzalez he doesn't want to spend his life confined to a
bed with a machine breathing for him and tries to convince Gonzalez to pull
his plug but Gonzalez can't do it. He leaves Whelan with his dad, who
presumably does what his son wanted because it isn't long before the team
receives news that Whelan is dead.

So I guess there's an opening in the L&O: ORGANIZED CRIME cast now. Wonder
who's going to fill it next season?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)

<5CadnYpSVpL7ivT5nZ2dnZfqnPVh4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186816&group=rec.arts.tv#186816

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 18:54:30 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 20 May 2023 18:54 UTC

On May 20, 2023 at 11:49:43 AM PDT, "BTR1701" <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

> On May 20, 2023 at 1:30:40 AM PDT, "Ubiquitous" <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> I watched the LAW & ORDER crossovers/season finales.
>
> They wrapped up the storyline about the incel computer genius who constructed
> a crime-for-hire site on the dark web where people can post 'jobs' (murder my
> boss, rape my ex-wife, etc.) in exchange for bitcoins. Benson's team (and
> wow,
> Hargitay is really starting to look rode hard and put up wet) stumbles across
> this after a series of rapes are committed by different perps but all with
> the
> same unique MO. They cross-contaminate the case with OCCB, mainly so that
> Stabler and Benson can do a lot of creepy old people flirting.
>
> The incel is eventually traced by Jet (Stabler's deus ex hackina) to Ohio,
> so
> the FBI gets involved and eventually the entire SUV and OCCB teams fly out to
> Ohio, where NYPD inexplicably becomes the lead agency, serving warrants,
> making arrests, conducting interviews, etc. (Do I have to say it? That's not
> how this works. It's not how any of this works.)
>
> When they finally corner the incel out in a remote woodsy campground, he gets
> off a few shots with a rifle, one of which hits Whelan (one of the OCCB
> detectives) in the neck and paralyzes him from the neck down. Later in the
> hospital, he tells Gonzalez he doesn't want to spend his life confined to a
> bed with a machine breathing for him and tries to convince Gonzalez to pull
> his plug but Gonzalez can't do it. He leaves Whelan with his dad, who
> presumably does what his son wanted because it isn't long before the team
> receives news that Whelan is dead.
>
> So I guess there's an opening in the L&O: ORGANIZED CRIME cast now. Wonder
> who's going to fill it next season?

I forgot to add, both these shows brought back Amanda Rollins (Kelli Giddish),
who has somehow now become the Clarice Starling of the NYPD. She starts
spouting off all sorts of complex psychological theories about the incel, and
I'm like, when did her character ever have this sort of
knowledge/specialty/ability? It's like they've completely re-written her from
scratch. She's also pregnant with Carisi's baby.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)

<u4b5aj$1546f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186818&group=rec.arts.tv#186818

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 11:59:31 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 20 May 2023 18:59 UTC

On 2023-05-20 18:49:43 +0000, BTR1701 said:

> On May 20, 2023 at 1:30:40 AM PDT, "Ubiquitous" <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> I watched the LAW & ORDER crossovers/season finales.
>
> They wrapped up the storyline about the incel computer genius who constructed
> a crime-for-hire site on the dark web where people can post 'jobs' (murder my
> boss, rape my ex-wife, etc.) in exchange for bitcoins. Benson's team (and wow,
> Hargitay is really starting to look rode hard and put up wet) stumbles across
> this after a series of rapes are committed by different perps but all with the
> same unique MO. They cross-contaminate the case with OCCB, mainly so that
> Stabler and Benson can do a lot of creepy old people flirting.
>
> The incel is eventually traced by Jet (Stabler's deus ex hackina) to Ohio, so
> the FBI gets involved and eventually the entire SUV and OCCB teams fly out to
> Ohio, where NYPD inexplicably becomes the lead agency, serving warrants,
> making arrests, conducting interviews, etc. (Do I have to say it? That's not
> how this works. It's not how any of this works.)
>
> When they finally corner the incel out in a remote woodsy campground, he gets
> off a few shots with a rifle, one of which hits Whelan (one of the OCCB
> detectives) in the neck and paralyzes him from the neck down. Later in the
> hospital, he tells Gonzalez he doesn't want to spend his life confined to a
> bed with a machine breathing for him and tries to convince Gonzalez to pull
> his plug but Gonzalez can't do it. He leaves Whelan with his dad, who
> presumably does what his son wanted because it isn't long before the team
> receives news that Whelan is dead.
>
> So I guess there's an opening in the L&O: ORGANIZED CRIME cast now. Wonder
> who's going to fill it next season?

How did they write out Molly Burnett's character on SVU?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)

<5CadnYRSVpKZh_T5nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186819&group=rec.arts.tv#186819

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 19:05:40 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 20 May 2023 19:05 UTC

On May 20, 2023 at 11:59:31 AM PDT, "Ian J. Ball" <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

> On 2023-05-20 18:49:43 +0000, BTR1701 said:
>
>> On May 20, 2023 at 1:30:40 AM PDT, "Ubiquitous" <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> I watched the LAW & ORDER crossovers/season finales.
>>
>> They wrapped up the storyline about the incel computer genius who
>> constructed
>> a crime-for-hire site on the dark web where people can post 'jobs' (murder
>> my
>> boss, rape my ex-wife, etc.) in exchange for bitcoins. Benson's team (and
>> wow,
>> Hargitay is really starting to look rode hard and put up wet) stumbles
>> across
>> this after a series of rapes are committed by different perps but all with
>> the
>> same unique MO. They cross-contaminate the case with OCCB, mainly so that
>> Stabler and Benson can do a lot of creepy old people flirting.
>>
>> The incel is eventually traced by Jet (Stabler's deus ex hackina) to Ohio,
>> so
>> the FBI gets involved and eventually the entire SUV and OCCB teams fly out
>> Ohio, where NYPD inexplicably becomes the lead agency, serving warrants,
>> making arrests, conducting interviews, etc. (Do I have to say it? That's not
>> how this works. It's not how any of this works.)
>>
>> When they finally corner the incel out in a remote woodsy campground, he
>> gets
>> off a few shots with a rifle, one of which hits Whelan (one of the OCCB
>> detectives) in the neck and paralyzes him from the neck down. Later in the
>> hospital, he tells Gonzalez he doesn't want to spend his life confined to a
>> bed with a machine breathing for him and tries to convince Gonzalez to pull
>> his plug but Gonzalez can't do it. He leaves Whelan with his dad, who
>> presumably does what his son wanted because it isn't long before the team
>> receives news that Whelan is dead.
>>
>> So I guess there's an opening in the L&O: ORGANIZED CRIME cast now. Wonder
>> who's going to fill it next season?
>
> How did they write out Molly Burnett's character on SVU?

I didn't know she was actually leaving. Her character made a big arrest last
week and this week the chief complimented her on her good work and offered her
a promotion and a spot on a DEA task force. She said she'd think about it but
in her conversations with the other characters it sounded like she was leaning
toward turning it down and staying with SUV. If you're saying the actress is
leaving the show, she must decide to take the promotion after all. Which is a
bummer because she's the most appealing character in the squad now. (And other
than Benson, the only white one, too. Maybe that's why she had to be replaced.
Still not diverse enough.)

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)

<1574362199.706300486.468805.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186820&group=rec.arts.tv#186820

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 12:16:17 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 20 May 2023 19:16 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-05-20 08:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (Disney+) - OK, first, this
> absolutely *looks great* in UHD. Sounds good too in Dolby Atmos.

It was dark and muddy here.

> But the first problem is that this movie is nearly *100% CGI*
> (backgrounds). So, yeah - it looks great, but it's basically a CGI
> cartoon. I mean, I'm sure "Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse" also looks
> great in 4k too, but it is an *actual* cartoon!

There are scenes where the CGI humans don’t look like anything, but CGI
characters, especially the daughter. For this, I blame Victoria, Alonso,
and demand she be fired from the MCU!

> Second, this film dumps almost all of the supporting cast from the
> first two films - I think this was a big mistake. This robs Paul Rudd
> (sidenote: Rudd is starting to look f**king *old* now!) (and Lilly as
> well) of the opportunity to interact with the supporting cast, which is
> where a lot of the humor in the first two "Ant-Man" films came from.
> As a result, this movie is just *not very funny*.
> Finally, as Anim says, the villain of this movie is Kang, and that's
> just not very compelling...

But it should’ve been!

> (Sidenote: Why did Lilly butcher her hair?!! So dumb...)

It makes her look too old to be Michelle Pfeiffer’s daughter!

> Also, so they recast Emma Fuhrmann with Kathryn Newton as Scott's
> daughter Cassie, and with what they had the character do here, I'm not
> even sure the recast was necessary - It's not like this role gave
> Newton any particular chance to "shine". Fuhrmann likely could have
> done any of this as well.

They did this for the five year snap didn’t they? Newton is five years
older than Furman. I was feeling a little guilty about liking Furman until
I checked and found out she’s 26.

> I agree with Anim - this is far from the worst "Marvel"
> movie/project. But it's definitely the worst "Ant-Man" movie! By, like,
> *a lot*!
> As this looks like it may well be the last "Ant-Man" flick, that's a
> real shame.

Why does it look like that to you?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)

<u4b9u0$15l3t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186831&group=rec.arts.tv#186831

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 12:43:56 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sat, 20 May 2023 19:43 UTC

On 5/20/2023 9:39 AM, shawn wrote:
> On Sat, 20 May 2023 07:41:36 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> Stargate SG-1, S5E04 'The Fifth Man' (DVD)
>> "In escaping a large contingent of Jaffa, SG-1 is forced to leave behind
>> Jack and Lt. Tyler, a new member of the team.

I think maybe I vaguely remember this one. Was the fifth man an imposter?

Back on Earth no one can
>> recall Lt. Tyler, so Sam, Teal'c, and Daniel must find a way to save
>> Jack while they are quarantined. Meanwhile Jack and Lt. Tyler struggle
>> to escape the enemy Jaffa."
>>

>> Colonel Jack O'Neill: I wasn't gonna let you die, Lieutenant. It's,
>> like, a ton of paperwork.
>> Lt. Tyler: Paperwork?
>> Colonel Jack O'Neill: It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from
>> my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.
>>
>> Major Samantha Carter: My access code isn't working. They must have
>> decided we're a security risk and locked us out.
>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: So you can't get in.
>> Major Samantha Carter: I didn't say that.
>>
>> Trivia: A shot of O'Neill stepping over a large number of Jaffa corpses
>> on the way to the Stargate was cut as it was felt this would spoil an
>> otherwise happy ending. Even with this cut, according to director Peter
>> DeLuise this episode has the highest on-screen body count of the entire
>> series.

Isn't that why they added the second shot of a zat(?) gun disintegrates
the body?

>> Commentary by Peter DeLuise (director) and the two writers. The episode
>> starts in a place called Red Rock Canyon, so named because 'The X-Files'
>> painted the rocks red for one of their episodes and other productions
>> since have taken advantage of it. They actually shot a real outdoors at
>> night scene and the frogs were LOUD!! Members of the crew were actually
>> screaming at the frogs to shut up. LOL. So the commentators are
>> reassuring us that no animals were physically hurt during filming but
>> their feelings might have been.
>>

>> What Did You Watch?
>
> I watched Class of 09 as discussed in my other post.

I'll get back to this show later. I have few other things I have to
work my way through first.

I watched:

Silo (AppleTV+) - "Truth" - The new sheriff settles into her new job
while the various factions make their moves for political power and now
4 episodes in and still no updates on the outside world.

Watchmen (4K disc) 2009 epic superhero movie directed by Zack Snyder
based on the acclaimed comic book. Set in an alternate history Earth a
group of costumed heroes come out of retirement to investigate the
murder of one of their former members and uncover a plot that involves
world wide Armageddon that they must prevent. The movie holds up great
and remains one of the best comic book movies ever. This was the
215-minute "Ultimate Cut" which is even longer than the director's cut
and includes *everything* even the animated pirated comic reedited into
the film.

The Mysterious Benedict Society (Disney+) It was recently announced that
Disney+ is going to be pulling a bunch of shows from being available to
stream including this one. So I' picking up where I left off while I
still can...
"A Bit of Light Chop" - Season 2, Episode 2 which picks up where episode
1 ended the kids stowed away on a boat looking for the kidnapped Mr.
Benedict.
"A Gold Bar in Fort Knox" - Season 2, Episode 2 - Just slightly above
background noise as Disney *forces* me to watch the show now. The kids
still stowed away on the boat gamble and win thanks to cheating in
various ways. Meanwhile Mr. Benedict figures out that his evil twin
brother is brainwashing people into being happy.

Here's a list of what's leaving Disney+ and Hulu in a few days:
https://www.insider.com/disney-hulu-removing-over-50-shows-movies-full-list-2023-5

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)

<u4bj1k$17784$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186847&group=rec.arts.tv#186847

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 15:53:40 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 20 May 2023 22:53 UTC

On 2023-05-20 19:16:17 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2023-05-20 08:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (Disney+) - OK, first, this
>> absolutely *looks great* in UHD. Sounds good too in Dolby Atmos.
>
> It was dark and muddy here.

You need 4k!! :p

>> But the first problem is that this movie is nearly *100% CGI*
>> (backgrounds). So, yeah - it looks great, but it's basically a CGI
>> cartoon. I mean, I'm sure "Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse" also looks
>> great in 4k too, but it is an *actual* cartoon!
>
> There are scenes where the CGI humans don’t look like anything, but CGI
> characters, especially the daughter. For this, I blame Victoria, Alonso,
> and demand she be fired from the MCU!

Also, the character with the furry rodent head/face seems to disappear
from the second half of the movie, and I couldn't figure out why...

>> Second, this film dumps almost all of the supporting cast from the
>> first two films - I think this was a big mistake. This robs Paul Rudd
>> (sidenote: Rudd is starting to look f**king *old* now!) (and Lilly as
>> well) of the opportunity to interact with the supporting cast, which is
>> where a lot of the humor in the first two "Ant-Man" films came from.
>> As a result, this movie is just *not very funny*.
>> Finally, as Anim says, the villain of this movie is Kang, and that's
>> just not very compelling...
>
> But it should’ve been!
>
>> (Sidenote: Why did Lilly butcher her hair?!! So dumb...)
>
> It makes her look too old to be Michelle Pfeiffer’s daughter!

Yep, it definitely did.

>> Also, so they recast Emma Fuhrmann with Kathryn Newton as Scott's
>> daughter Cassie, and with what they had the character do here, I'm not
>> even sure the recast was necessary - It's not like this role gave
>> Newton any particular chance to "shine". Fuhrmann likely could have
>> done any of this as well.
>
> They did this for the five year snap didn’t they? Newton is five years
> older than Furman. I was feeling a little guilty about liking Furman until
> I checked and found out she’s 26.

No, Fuhrmann was "post-Snap", from "Endgame". "Pre-Snap" it was child
actress Abby Ryder Fortson (who is actually still around! - she's the
star of the recent film, "Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.").

My guess is Disney assholes wanted a "bigger name" actress (and one
with likely more "range"), but with what they gave Newton to do in this
film, it wasn't anything special. I almost think Fuhrmann would have
done just as well here (and she would have been cheaper!!).

>> I agree with Anim - this is far from the worst "Marvel"
>> movie/project. But it's definitely the worst "Ant-Man" movie! By, like,
>> *a lot*!
>> As this looks like it may well be the last "Ant-Man" flick, that's a
>> real shame.
>
> Why does it look like that to you?

Well, the Wiki article claims they are starting to talk about a fourth
one (Michael Douglas wants them to kill off Pym!!), but the usual
pattern for Marvel stuff seems to be that they are (initially)
contracted for 3 films, which means I'm guessing they'd have to
renegotiate Rudd, Lilly and Douglas to do another (with both Rudd and
Lilly starting to look *old*!). And I bet they don't.

Now whether we see Newton (or Hailee Steinfeld, for that matter) again
down the line is an open question...

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)

<u4bocf$1800v$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186850&group=rec.arts.tv#186850

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 17:24:49 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 21 May 2023 00:24 UTC

On 5/20/2023 12:43 PM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> On 5/20/2023 9:39 AM, shawn wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 May 2023 07:41:36 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
>> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Stargate SG-1, S5E04 'The Fifth Man' (DVD)
>>> "In escaping a large contingent of Jaffa, SG-1 is forced to leave behind
>>> Jack and Lt. Tyler, a new member of the team.
>
> I think maybe I vaguely remember this one.  Was the fifth man an imposter?

Wasn't even human!

>  Back on Earth no one can
>>> recall Lt. Tyler, so Sam, Teal'c, and Daniel must find a way to save
>>> Jack while they are quarantined. Meanwhile Jack and Lt. Tyler struggle
>>> to escape the enemy Jaffa."
>>>

>>> Colonel Jack O'Neill: I wasn't gonna let you die, Lieutenant. It's,
>>> like, a ton of paperwork.
>>> Lt. Tyler: Paperwork?
>>> Colonel Jack O'Neill: It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from
>>> my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.
>>>
>>> Major Samantha Carter: My access code isn't working. They must have
>>> decided we're a security risk and locked us out.
>>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: So you can't get in.
>>> Major Samantha Carter: I didn't say that.
>>>
>>> Trivia: A shot of O'Neill stepping over a large number of Jaffa corpses
>>> on the way to the Stargate was cut as it was felt this would spoil an
>>> otherwise happy ending. Even with this cut, according to director Peter
>>> DeLuise this episode has the highest on-screen body count of the entire
>>> series.
>>>

> Isn't that why they added the second shot of a zat(?) gun disintegrates
> the body?

Third shot. First stuns, second kills, third disintegrates. And if
you're going for kills of large numbers automatic weapons are better.
*evil grin*

>>> Commentary by Peter DeLuise (director) and the two writers.  The episode
>>> starts in a place called Red Rock Canyon, so named because 'The X-Files'
>>> painted the rocks red for one of their episodes and other productions
>>> since have taken advantage of it.  They actually shot a real outdoors at
>>> night scene and the frogs were LOUD!!  Members of the crew were actually
>>> screaming at the frogs to shut up.  LOL.  So the commentators are
>>> reassuring us that no animals were physically hurt during filming but
>>> their feelings might have been.
>>>

>>> What Did You Watch?
>>
>> I watched Class of 09 as discussed in my other post.
>>

> I'll get back to this show later.  I have few other things I have to
> work my way through first.
>

> I watched:
>

> Silo (AppleTV+) - "Truth" - The new sheriff settles into her new job
> while the various factions make their moves for political power and now
> 4 episodes in and still no updates on the outside world.
>

> Watchmen (4K disc) 2009 epic superhero movie directed by Zack Snyder
> based on the acclaimed comic book.  Set in an alternate history Earth a
> group of costumed heroes come out of retirement to investigate the
> murder of one of their former members and uncover a plot that involves
> world wide Armageddon that they must prevent.  The movie holds up great
> and remains one of the best comic book movies ever.  This was the
> 215-minute "Ultimate Cut" which is even longer than the director's cut
> and includes *everything* even the animated pirated comic reedited into
> the film.

Does all that re-added stuff make it any better?

> The Mysterious Benedict Society (Disney+) It was recently announced that
> Disney+ is going to be pulling a bunch of shows from being available to
> stream including this one.  So I' picking up where I left off while I
> still can...
> "A Bit of Light Chop" - Season 2, Episode 2 which picks up where episode
> 1 ended the kids stowed away on a boat looking for the kidnapped Mr.
> Benedict.
> "A Gold Bar in Fort Knox" -  Season 2, Episode 2 - Just slightly above
> background noise as Disney *forces* me to watch the show now.  The kids
> still stowed away on the boat gamble and win thanks to cheating in
> various ways.  Meanwhile Mr. Benedict figures out that his evil twin
> brother is brainwashing people into being happy.
>

> Here's a list of what's leaving Disney+ and Hulu in a few days:
> https://www.insider.com/disney-hulu-removing-over-50-shows-movies-full-list-2023-5

Netflix DVD shutting down, Disney reintroducing The Vault for streaming,
its like They don't want us to watch anything they make anymore.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)

<u4boge$1800v$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186851&group=rec.arts.tv#186851

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 17:26:57 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 21 May 2023 00:26 UTC

On 5/20/2023 3:53 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2023-05-20 19:16:17 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (Disney+) - OK, first, this
>>> absolutely *looks great* in UHD. Sounds good too in Dolby Atmos.
>>
>> It was dark and muddy here.
>
> You need 4k!!  :p

I don't think I've ever seen Vitamin K pills when I've gone to the drug
store. So I can't even take one, let alone four!

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)

<u4bvfu$1cspv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186858&group=rec.arts.tv#186858

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 19:26:06 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 21 May 2023 02:26 UTC

On 5/20/2023 5:24 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 5/20/2023 12:43 PM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
>> On 5/20/2023 9:39 AM, shawn wrote:

>> I think maybe I vaguely remember this one.  Was the fifth man an
>> imposter?
>>
> Wasn't even human!
>

>>   Back on Earth no one can

>> Isn't that why they added the second shot of a zat(?) gun
>> disintegrates the body?
>>
> Third shot.  First stuns, second kills, third disintegrates.  And if
> you're going for kills of large numbers automatic weapons are better.
> *evil grin*

>>> I watched Class of 09 as discussed in my other post.
>>>

>> I'll get back to this show later.  I have few other things I have to
>> work my way through first.
>>

>> I watched:
>>

>> Silo (AppleTV+) - "Truth" - The new sheriff settles into her new job
>> while the various factions make their moves for political power and
>> now 4 episodes in and still no updates on the outside world.
>>

>> Watchmen (4K disc) 2009 epic superhero movie directed by Zack Snyder
>> based on the acclaimed comic book.  Set in an alternate history Earth
>> a group of costumed heroes come out of retirement to investigate the
>> murder of one of their former members and uncover a plot that involves
>> world wide Armageddon that they must prevent.  The movie holds up
>> great and remains one of the best comic book movies ever.  This was
>> the 215-minute "Ultimate Cut" which is even longer than the director's
>> cut and includes *everything* even the animated pirated comic reedited
>> into the film.
>>
> Does all that re-added stuff make it any better?

No, not really. LOL. It does make it complete and more in line with
the source material since that's where it comes from. But I'd be cool
with the director's cut which has everything except the comic segments.

I think it makes sense if you're reading the original source material,
but in the movie version if you don't know *why* it's there it could be
confusing and distracting.

>> The Mysterious Benedict Society (Disney+) It was recently announced
>> that Disney+ is going to be pulling a bunch of shows from being
>> available to stream including this one.  So I' picking up where I left
>> off while I still can...
>> "A Bit of Light Chop" - Season 2, Episode 2 which picks up where
>> episode 1 ended the kids stowed away on a boat looking for the
>> kidnapped Mr. Benedict.
>> "A Gold Bar in Fort Knox" -  Season 2, Episode 3 - Just slightly above
>> background noise as Disney *forces* me to watch the show now.  The
>> kids still stowed away on the boat gamble and win thanks to cheating
>> in various ways.  Meanwhile Mr. Benedict figures out that his evil
>> twin brother is brainwashing people into being happy.
>>

>> Here's a list of what's leaving Disney+ and Hulu in a few days:
>> https://www.insider.com/disney-hulu-removing-over-50-shows-movies-full-list-2023-5
>>
> Netflix DVD shutting down, Disney reintroducing The Vault for streaming,
> its like They don't want us to watch anything they make anymore.

Yeah, very frustrating. But this is why I maintain a home movie catalog
on physical media.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)

<u4c7p0$1e1gm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186862&group=rec.arts.tv#186862

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 21:47:28 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 21 May 2023 04:47 UTC

On 5/20/2023 7:26 PM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> On 5/20/2023 5:24 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> On 5/20/2023 12:43 PM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
>>>
>>> Watchmen (4K disc) 2009 epic superhero movie directed by Zack Snyder
>>> based on the acclaimed comic book.  Set in an alternate history Earth
>>> a group of costumed heroes come out of retirement to investigate the
>>> murder of one of their former members and uncover a plot that
>>> involves world wide Armageddon that they must prevent.  The movie
>>> holds up great and remains one of the best comic book movies ever.
>>> This was the 215-minute "Ultimate Cut" which is even longer than the
>>> director's cut and includes *everything* even the animated pirated
>>> comic reedited into the film.
>>>
>> Does all that re-added stuff make it any better?
>>

> No, not really.  LOL.  It does make it complete and more in line with
> the source material since that's where it comes from.  But I'd be cool
> with the director's cut which has everything except the comic segments.
>
> I think it makes sense if you're reading the original source material,
> but in the movie version if you don't know *why* it's there it could be
> confusing and distracting.

Well, I've got the Director's Cut BR disc and the original comics and
found the pirate comics to be confusing and distracting in the comics so....

>>> Here's a list of what's leaving Disney+ and Hulu in a few days:
>>> https://www.insider.com/disney-hulu-removing-over-50-shows-movies-full-list-2023-5
>>>
>> Netflix DVD shutting down, Disney reintroducing The Vault for
>> streaming, its like They don't want us to watch anything they make
>> anymore.
>>

> Yeah, very frustrating.  But this is why I maintain a home movie catalog
> on physical media.

Oh, I've got a good sized disc collection from when I could afford to
buy a lot but I can't afford to anymore and much of what I'd want isn't
going to _be_ available on physical media because it is/was on streaming.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)

<570640476.706334770.655377.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186872&group=rec.arts.tv#186872

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 01:28:07 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 21 May 2023 08:28 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 5/20/2023 12:43 PM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
>> On 5/20/2023 9:39 AM, shawn wrote:

>> I think maybe I vaguely remember this one.  Was the fifth man an imposter?
>>
> Wasn't even human!
>

>>  Back on Earth no one can

>> Isn't that why they added the second shot of a zat(?) gun disintegrates
>> the body?
>>
> Third shot. First stuns, second kills, third disintegrates. And if
> you're going for kills of large numbers automatic weapons are better.
> *evil grin*

I watched the episode a couple nights ago where they first find Zat guns
and Teal’c explains it to them. Back then one shot hurt. That continues to
be the case at least until the one where the fire flies are attacking them
and the tiny little cadet. Teal’c shoots Jack to put the electric charge on
him to keep the fire flies away while he runs for the gate. That would’ve
been a problem if it knocked him out.

>>> I watched Class of 09 as discussed in my other post.
>>>

>> I'll get back to this show later.  I have few other things I have to
>> work my way through first.
>>

>> I watched:
>>

>> Silo (AppleTV+) - "Truth" - The new sheriff settles into her new job
>> while the various factions make their moves for political power and now
>> 4 episodes in and still no updates on the outside world.
>>

>> Watchmen (4K disc) 2009 epic superhero movie directed by Zack Snyder
>> based on the acclaimed comic book.  Set in an alternate history Earth a
>> group of costumed heroes come out of retirement to investigate the
>> murder of one of their former members and uncover a plot that involves
>> world wide Armageddon that they must prevent.  The movie holds up great
>> and remains one of the best comic book movies ever.  This was the
>> 215-minute "Ultimate Cut" which is even longer than the director's cut
>> and includes *everything* even the animated pirated comic reedited into
>> the film.
>>
> Does all that re-added stuff make it any better?
>

>> The Mysterious Benedict Society (Disney+) It was recently announced that
>> Disney+ is going to be pulling a bunch of shows from being available to
>> stream including this one.  So I' picking up where I left off while I
>> still can...
>> "A Bit of Light Chop" - Season 2, Episode 2 which picks up where episode
>> 1 ended the kids stowed away on a boat looking for the kidnapped Mr.
>> Benedict.
>> "A Gold Bar in Fort Knox" -  Season 2, Episode 2 - Just slightly above
>> background noise as Disney *forces* me to watch the show now.  The kids
>> still stowed away on the boat gamble and win thanks to cheating in
>> various ways.  Meanwhile Mr. Benedict figures out that his evil twin
>> brother is brainwashing people into being happy.
>>

>> Here's a list of what's leaving Disney+ and Hulu in a few days:
>> https://www.insider.com/disney-hulu-removing-over-50-shows-movies-full-list-2023-5
>>
> Netflix DVD shutting down, Disney reintroducing The Vault for streaming,
> its like They don't want us to watch anything they make anymore.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)

<u4dh5n$1l6kd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186917&group=rec.arts.tv#186917

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 09:34:01 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 21 May 2023 16:34 UTC

On 5/21/2023 1:28 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> I think maybe I vaguely remember this one.  Was the fifth man an imposter?
>>>
>> Wasn't even human!
>>

>>>  Back on Earth no one can

>>> Isn't that why they added the second shot of a zat(?) gun disintegrates
>>> the body?
>>>
>> Third shot. First stuns, second kills, third disintegrates. And if
>> you're going for kills of large numbers automatic weapons are better.
>> *evil grin*
>
> I watched the episode a couple nights ago where they first find Zat guns
> and Teal’c explains it to them. Back then one shot hurt. That continues to
> be the case at least until the one where the fire flies are attacking them
> and the tiny little cadet. Teal’c shoots Jack to put the electric charge on
> him to keep the fire flies away while he runs for the gate. That would’ve
> been a problem if it knocked him out.

That's even in the Goofs section of IMDb for that episode.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)

<1284753345.706390338.769724.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186938&group=rec.arts.tv#186938

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 13:10:11 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 21 May 2023 20:10 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 5/21/2023 1:28 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Wasn't even human!

>>> Third shot. First stuns, second kills, third disintegrates. And if
>>> you're going for kills of large numbers automatic weapons are better.
>>> *evil grin*
>>
>> I watched the episode a couple nights ago where they first find Zat guns
>> and Teal’c explains it to them. Back then one shot hurt. That continues to
>> be the case at least until the one where the fire flies are attacking them
>> and the tiny little cadet. Teal’c shoots Jack to put the electric charge on
>> him to keep the fire flies away while he runs for the gate. That would’ve
>> been a problem if it knocked him out.
>>
> That's even in the Goofs section of IMDb for that episode.

Interesting. I wouldn’t consider that a goof for that episode (Prodigy),
unless there are a lot of instances of unconsciousness between the first
appearance of the Zat and this. This would be right until they changed it
later.

I prefer the original version where it causes you so much pain you’re
incapacitated, and just lay on the floor twitching. I could see where you
might hesitate to use that. Weapons that peacefully stun you, like setting
one on a Star Trek phaser, are just too handy. Why the hell wouldn’t you
just stun the whole area from orbit before you went down? Stun them all now
and sort them out later!

I watched a YouTube video where Shanks says he refused to carry a Zat
because it looks too much like a penis to him. I bet the series directors
hated him. Seriously, this is a guy who needs to be bitch slapped and told
to say his lines and not bump into the furniture.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)

<2048882477.706391256.533890.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186939&group=rec.arts.tv#186939

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 13:10:12 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 21 May 2023 20:10 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 5/20/2023 3:53 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:

>>> It was dark and muddy here.
>>
>> You need 4k!!  :p
>>
> I don't think I've ever seen Vitamin K pills when I've gone to the drug
> store. So I can't even take one, let alone four!

Vitamin K 100 mcg Supports Bone and Joint Health, 100 Count by Puritan's
Pride https://a.co/d/4Z8u0ne

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)

<u4du36$1o41u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186944&group=rec.arts.tv#186944

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 20:14:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 21 May 2023 20:14 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>>You need 4k!! :p

>>I don't think I've ever seen Vitamin K pills when I've gone to the drug
>>store. So I can't even take one, let alone four!

>Vitamin K 100 mcg Supports Bone and Joint Health, 100 Count by Puritan's
>Pride https://a.co/d/4Z8u0ne

I'm not taking 250 year old vitamins!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)

<u4dvpo$1odti$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186948&group=rec.arts.tv#186948

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 13:43:39 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 21 May 2023 20:43 UTC

On 5/21/2023 1:10 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> I watched the episode a couple nights ago where they first find Zat guns
>>> and Teal’c explains it to them. Back then one shot hurt. That continues to
>>> be the case at least until the one where the fire flies are attacking them
>>> and the tiny little cadet. Teal’c shoots Jack to put the electric charge on
>>> him to keep the fire flies away while he runs for the gate. That would’ve
>>> been a problem if it knocked him out.
>>>
>> That's even in the Goofs section of IMDb for that episode.
>>

> Interesting. I wouldn’t consider that a goof for that episode (Prodigy),
> unless there are a lot of instances of unconsciousness between the first
> appearance of the Zat and this.

There were.

> This would be right until they changed it
> later.

It is just the usual tv series inconsistency because PLOT!

> I prefer the original version where it causes you so much pain you’re
> incapacitated, and just lay on the floor twitching. I could see where you
> might hesitate to use that. Weapons that peacefully stun you, like setting
> one on a Star Trek phaser, are just too handy. Why the hell wouldn’t you
> just stun the whole area from orbit before you went down? Stun them all now
> and sort them out later!
>
> I watched a YouTube video where Shanks says he refused to carry a Zat
> because it looks too much like a penis to him. I bet the series directors
> hated him. Seriously, this is a guy who needs to be bitch slapped and told
> to say his lines and not bump into the furniture.

Actually the directors seem to like all the regulars based on the
commentaries. Or at least did at the time they were recorded.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)

<u4dvvd$1odti$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186950&group=rec.arts.tv#186950

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 13:46:40 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 21 May 2023 20:46 UTC

On 5/21/2023 1:14 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>>> I don't think I've ever seen Vitamin K pills when I've gone to the drug
>>> store. So I can't even take one, let alone four!
>> Vitamin K 100 mcg Supports Bone and Joint Health, 100 Count by Puritan's
>> Pride https://a.co/d/4Z8u0ne
>
> I'm not taking 250 year old vitamins!

I'm with you on that!

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)

<98359664.706396558.375955.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186958&group=rec.arts.tv#186958

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 15:24:57 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 21 May 2023 22:24 UTC

<u4fj70$25dfb$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187039&group=rec.arts.tv#187039

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 04:30:41 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 22 May 2023 08:30 UTC

In article <u4b9u0$15l3t$1@dont-email.me>, arthur@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:

>Watchmen (4K disc) 2009 epic superhero movie directed by Zack Snyder
>based on the acclaimed comic book. Set in an alternate history Earth a
>group of costumed heroes come out of retirement to investigate the
>murder of one of their former members and uncover a plot that involves
>world wide Armageddon that they must prevent. The movie holds up great
>and remains one of the best comic book movies ever. This was the
>215-minute "Ultimate Cut" which is even longer than the director's cut
>and includes *everything* even the animated pirated comic reedited into
>the film.

Oooh, I don't think I've seen that version yet!

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)

<aadefe38-8095-44a4-8e2c-9642d7f10262n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187053&group=rec.arts.tv#187053

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 07:54:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: ten...@world.std.com (tenworld)
 by: tenworld - Mon, 22 May 2023 14:54 UTC

Blue bloods - this had the feel of a series ender so they must have written it before it was renewed. Erin makes
her announcement about running for DA. Danny tells Baez he likes being with her. The missing grandkids come back; Danny;s looks
the same but Nicky seems to have gained weight. No sign of the other grandkid, Joe's - did they write him off? Esposito came back
so they could say goodbye - she is a chief at a small town on Long Island ala Jesse Stone.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-19 (Friday)

<946931947.706477068.808647.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187065&group=rec.arts.tv#187065

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 12:48:28 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 22 May 2023 19:48 UTC

tenworld <ten@world.std.com> wrote:
> Blue bloods - this had the feel of a series ender so they must have
> written it before it was renewed. Erin makes
> her announcement about running for DA. Danny tells Baez he likes being
> with her. The missing grandkids come back; Danny;s looks
> the same but Nicky seems to have gained weight. No sign of the other
> grandkid, Joe's - did they write him off?

Joe was last seen in episode 1313; the finale was episode 1321. So he’s
been there fairly recently.

Esposito came back
> so they could say goodbye - she is a chief at a small town on Long Island ala Jesse Stone.

Ha! Good call. I hadn’t noticed the Jesse stone connection.