The wise shepherd never trusts his flock to a smiling wolf.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Cable Company Cutting Cord

SubjectAuthor
* Cable Company Cutting Cordchromebook test
`* Re: Cable Company Cutting Cordanim8rfsk
 +* Re: Cable Company Cutting Cordshawn
 |+* Re: Cable Company Cutting Cordanim8rfsk
 ||`- Re: Cable Company Cutting Cordshawn
 |`* Re: Cable Company Cutting CordIrish Mike
 | +* Re: Cable Company Cutting Cordshawn
 | |`* Re: Cable Company Cutting CordThe Horny Goat
 | | `* Re: Cable Company Cutting Cordanim8rfsk
 | |  `- Re: Cable Company Cutting CordThe Horny Goat
 | `- Re: Cable Company Cutting Cordtrotsky
 +* Re: Cable Company Cutting CordIan J. Ball
 |`* Re: Cable Company Cutting Cordshawn
 | `* Re: Cable Company Cutting Cordsuper70s
 |  +* Re: Cable Company Cutting Cordshawn
 |  |+* Re: Cable Company Cutting Cordsuzeeq
 |  ||`- Re: Cable Company Cutting Cordshawn
 |  |`* Re: Cable Company Cutting CordNyssa
 |  | `* Re: Cable Company Cutting Cordanim8rfsk
 |  |  `* Re: Cable Company Cutting Cordshawn
 |  |   +- Re: Cable Company Cutting CordIan J. Ball
 |  |   `* Re: Cable Company Cutting CordNyssa
 |  |    +* Re: Cable Company Cutting Cordshawn
 |  |    |+* Re: Cable Company Cutting CordIan J. Ball
 |  |    ||`- Re: Cable Company Cutting Cordshawn
 |  |    |+* Re: Cable Company Cutting CordAdam H. Kerman
 |  |    ||+* Re: Cable Company Cutting CordA Friend
 |  |    |||`* Re: Cable Company Cutting CordAdam H. Kerman
 |  |    ||| `* Re: Cable Company Cutting Cordanim8rfsk
 |  |    |||  +- Re: Cable Company Cutting CordAdam H. Kerman
 |  |    |||  `* Re: Cable Company Cutting CordDimensional Traveler
 |  |    |||   `* Re: Cable Company Cutting Cordanim8rfsk
 |  |    |||    +- Re: Cable Company Cutting CordThe Horny Goat
 |  |    |||    `- Re: Cable Company Cutting CordAdam H. Kerman
 |  |    ||`* Re: Cable Company Cutting Cordshawn
 |  |    || `- Re: Cable Company Cutting CordAdam H. Kerman
 |  |    |`- Re: Cable Company Cutting CordNyssa
 |  |    `* Re: Cable Company Cutting CordA Friend
 |  |     `- Re: Cable Company Cutting CordAdam H. Kerman
 |  `- Re: Cable Company Cutting CordThe Horny Goat
 `- Re: Cable Company Cutting Cordchromebook test

Pages:12
Cable Company Cutting Cord

<ae25dab8-3549-45b2-915f-683e254b74b2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187061&group=rec.arts.tv#187061

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 11:57:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Cable Company Cutting Cord
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Mon, 22 May 2023 18:57 UTC

Cable Company is Shutting Down Its TV Service & Replacing it With YouTube
Luke Bouma May 15, 2023
https://cordcuttersnews.com/one-more-cable-tv-company-is-shutting-down-its-tv-service-replacing-it-with-youtube-tv/

Today the cable TV company WOW! announced a deal with YouTube TV to replace its cable TV service with YouTube TV. WOW! says it will start moving its remaining TV customers to YouTube TV this summer. It will also start selling YouTube TV to new customers now.

This news comes as multiple cable TV companies, including Frontier, have stopped offering traditional cable TV and gone streaming online. Frontier has, for some time now, offered YouTube TV instead of its traditional TV service.

Increasingly a growing number of cable TV companies are deciding TV is just not profitable enough. Now they are turning to streaming options so they can focus on internet and other services.

Re: Cable Company Cutting Cord

<399475267.706476442.423425.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187063&group=rec.arts.tv#187063

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Cable Company Cutting Cord
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 12:35:54 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 22 May 2023 19:35 UTC

chromebook test <chromiumtest56@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cable Company is Shutting Down Its TV Service & Replacing it With YouTube
> Luke Bouma May 15, 2023
> https://cordcuttersnews.com/one-more-cable-tv-company-is-shutting-down-its-tv-service-replacing-it-with-youtube-tv/
>

> Today the cable TV company WOW! announced a deal with YouTube TV to
> replace its cable TV service with YouTube TV. WOW! says it will start
> moving its remaining TV customers to YouTube TV this summer. It will also
> start selling YouTube TV to new customers now.
>
> This news comes as multiple cable TV companies, including Frontier, have
> stopped offering traditional cable TV and gone streaming online. Frontier
> has, for some time now, offered YouTube TV instead of its traditional TV service.
>
> Increasingly a growing number of cable TV companies are deciding TV is
> just not profitable enough. Now they are turning to streaming options so
> they can focus on internet and other services.

This is what Ob Veeus has been doing (through Roku), including a virtual
cloud DVR on the YouTube, and trying to talk me into. Robin’s doing
something similar as well.

Re: Cable Company Cutting Cord

<iahn6i9gqcrarrrmrgmrum6qq1mtdvc50o@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187064&group=rec.arts.tv#187064

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 15:46:09 -0400
 by: shawn - Mon, 22 May 2023 19:46 UTC

On Mon, 22 May 2023 12:35:54 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>chromebook test <chromiumtest56@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Cable Company is Shutting Down Its TV Service & Replacing it With YouTube
>> Luke Bouma May 15, 2023
>> https://cordcuttersnews.com/one-more-cable-tv-company-is-shutting-down-its-tv-service-replacing-it-with-youtube-tv/
>>

>> Today the cable TV company WOW! announced a deal with YouTube TV to
>> replace its cable TV service with YouTube TV. WOW! says it will start
>> moving its remaining TV customers to YouTube TV this summer. It will also
>> start selling YouTube TV to new customers now.
>>
>> This news comes as multiple cable TV companies, including Frontier, have
>> stopped offering traditional cable TV and gone streaming online. Frontier
>> has, for some time now, offered YouTube TV instead of its traditional TV service.
>>
>> Increasingly a growing number of cable TV companies are deciding TV is
>> just not profitable enough. Now they are turning to streaming options so
>> they can focus on internet and other services.
>>

>This is what Ob Veeus has been doing (through Roku), including a virtual
>cloud DVR on the YouTube, and trying to talk me into. Robin’s doing
>something similar as well.

If you've got reliable Internet service it's not a bad deal. Hell,
with AT&T Uverse I essentially had the same thing since they did all
of their TV service as IPTV. So it was all streamed as IP and then
routed through my cable modem to the TV settop. I could even bring
up the admin screen on the cable modem and see how much bandwidth
the TV streams were using, error rates and other info.

Not that the Internet service and TV service interfered with each
other as they were effectively separate on the fiber so I could watch
TV and still have full use of my Internet service. Not so if you are
using something like Youtube TV as it will be using part of your
available bandwidth. Not an issue if you have gigabit service but
could be an issue if you are using 50Megabit service where some start
out.

Re: Cable Company Cutting Cord

<u4gi2s$28l65$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187067&group=rec.arts.tv#187067

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 13:07:56 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Mon, 22 May 2023 20:07 UTC

On 2023-05-22 19:35:54 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> chromebook test <chromiumtest56@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Cable Company is Shutting Down Its TV Service & Replacing it With YouTube
>> Luke Bouma May 15, 2023
>> https://cordcuttersnews.com/one-more-cable-tv-company-is-shutting-down-its-tv-service-replacing-it-with-youtube-tv/
>>

>> Today the cable TV company WOW! announced a deal with YouTube TV to
>> replace its cable TV service with YouTube TV. WOW! says it will start
>> moving its remaining TV customers to YouTube TV this summer. It will also
>> start selling YouTube TV to new customers now.
>>
>> This news comes as multiple cable TV companies, including Frontier, have
>> stopped offering traditional cable TV and gone streaming online. Frontier
>> has, for some time now, offered YouTube TV instead of its traditional
>> TV service.
>>
>> Increasingly a growing number of cable TV companies are deciding TV is
>> just not profitable enough. Now they are turning to streaming options so
>> they can focus on internet and other services.
>
> This is what Ob Veeus has been doing (through Roku), including a virtual
> cloud DVR on the YouTube, and trying to talk me into. Robin’s doing
> something similar as well.

I'm still toying with the idea of cutting the cable cord.

As of right now, there are still a few things stopping me:

1) Lack of an antenna for OTA signals (for local channels). I may get
one this summer, when I have money again, to see if this solves the
issue.

2) Figuring out what to replace cable with - There's YouTube TV, Hulu
TV, Sling TV, and a few others like Fubo and Philo (but I'm not sure
the last two are right for me).

3) Figuring out if any of these have the channels I want - for example,
it's deal-breaker if these packages don't include LMN, Hallmark M&M and
a few others more obscure cable channels.

4) What to do about sports?! (ESPN is the big one).

5) Is my old wireless router heading for the grave? (I will likely
repace this soon too, to see if it solve things like my Spectrum app
dropping the signal when using the app.)

My brother, who cut the cord, and then uncut the cord, pointed out
losing some other things we take for granted when cord-cutting, like
"channel surfing" (though, I will say, these days, I find "channel
surfing" to be largely a bust!).

Re: Cable Company Cutting Cord

<edc87142-d751-40bf-aa12-ffcf3c0cc6dbn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187068&group=rec.arts.tv#187068

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 13:11:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Mon, 22 May 2023 20:11 UTC

On Monday, May 22, 2023 at 3:35:59 PM UTC-4, anim8rfsk wrote:
> chromebook test <chromiu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Cable Company is Shutting Down Its TV Service & Replacing it With YouTube
> > Luke Bouma May 15, 2023
> > https://cordcuttersnews.com/one-more-cable-tv-company-is-shutting-down-its-tv-service-replacing-it-with-youtube-tv/
> >

> > Today the cable TV company WOW! announced a deal with YouTube TV to
> > replace its cable TV service with YouTube TV. WOW! says it will start
> > moving its remaining TV customers to YouTube TV this summer. It will also
> > start selling YouTube TV to new customers now.
> >
> > This news comes as multiple cable TV companies, including Frontier, have
> > stopped offering traditional cable TV and gone streaming online. Frontier
> > has, for some time now, offered YouTube TV instead of its traditional TV service.
> >
> > Increasingly a growing number of cable TV companies are deciding TV is
> > just not profitable enough. Now they are turning to streaming options so
> > they can focus on internet and other services.

> This is what Ob Veeus has been doing (through Roku), including a virtual
> cloud DVR on the YouTube, and trying to talk me into. Robin’s doing
> something similar as well.

It has been a long time since Robin posted in here, but if I recall, she had a nice NAS (Network Attached Storage) set up at home to steam content.

I am on youtube constantly thoughout the day and interestingly, NEVER was aware of Youtube TV Cloud DVR. A quick web search shows it currently costs $65/month for the first 3 months and then goes up to $73.

This is very tempting.

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

Re: Cable Company Cutting Cord

<83925312.706480413.014986.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187069&group=rec.arts.tv#187069

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 13:34:56 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 22 May 2023 20:34 UTC

> On Mon, 22 May 2023 12:35:54 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> chromebook test <chromiumtest56@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Cable Company is Shutting Down Its TV Service & Replacing it With YouTube
>>> Luke Bouma May 15, 2023
>>> https://cordcuttersnews.com/one-more-cable-tv-company-is-shutting-down-its-tv-service-replacing-it-with-youtube-tv/
>>>

>>> Today the cable TV company WOW! announced a deal with YouTube TV to
>>> replace its cable TV service with YouTube TV. WOW! says it will start
>>> moving its remaining TV customers to YouTube TV this summer. It will also
>>> start selling YouTube TV to new customers now.
>>>
>>> This news comes as multiple cable TV companies, including Frontier, have
>>> stopped offering traditional cable TV and gone streaming online. Frontier
>>> has, for some time now, offered YouTube TV instead of its traditional TV service.
>>>
>>> Increasingly a growing number of cable TV companies are deciding TV is
>>> just not profitable enough. Now they are turning to streaming options so
>>> they can focus on internet and other services.
>>>

>> This is what Ob Veeus has been doing (through Roku), including a virtual
>> cloud DVR on the YouTube, and trying to talk me into. Robin’s doing
>> something similar as well.
>
> If you've got reliable Internet service it's not a bad deal. Hell,
> with AT&T Uverse I essentially had the same thing since they did all
> of their TV service as IPTV. So it was all streamed as IP and then
> routed through my cable modem to the TV settop. I could even bring
> up the admin screen on the cable modem and see how much bandwidth
> the TV streams were using, error rates and other info.
>
> Not that the Internet service and TV service interfered with each
> other as they were effectively separate on the fiber so I could watch
> TV and still have full use of my Internet service. Not so if you are
> using something like Youtube TV as it will be using part of your
> available bandwidth. Not an issue if you have gigabit service but
> could be an issue if you are using 50Megabit service where some start
> out.

Ob Veeus says:

The above is what my cable company should have done. Instead, they shut
down the cable TV and then wanted me to switch to a streaming service
offered by them…and that service was at the same price as their cable; so
2x+ more than YouTubeTV.
I have no doubt but that the cable company will eventually jack up the cost
of internet so that they can try to recover the lost income from cable TV
subscribers.
Side note: ROKU is having a big sale on streaming services right now. Up
to 90% off of some stuff like Paramount+ and Wondrium:
https://www.roku.com/whats-on/the-roku-channel/offers/streaming-day-99-promo

Re: Cable Company Cutting Cord

<q1mn6ip85ffu2hbsld6f9ndpk01quj0pjk@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187070&group=rec.arts.tv#187070

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 17:13:24 -0400
 by: shawn - Mon, 22 May 2023 21:13 UTC

On Mon, 22 May 2023 13:34:56 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 May 2023 12:35:54 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
>> wrote:

>>> This is what Ob Veeus has been doing (through Roku), including a virtual
>>> cloud DVR on the YouTube, and trying to talk me into. Robin’s doing
>>> something similar as well.
>>
>> If you've got reliable Internet service it's not a bad deal. Hell,
>> with AT&T Uverse I essentially had the same thing since they did all
>> of their TV service as IPTV. So it was all streamed as IP and then
>> routed through my cable modem to the TV settop. I could even bring
>> up the admin screen on the cable modem and see how much bandwidth
>> the TV streams were using, error rates and other info.
>>
>> Not that the Internet service and TV service interfered with each
>> other as they were effectively separate on the fiber so I could watch
>> TV and still have full use of my Internet service. Not so if you are
>> using something like Youtube TV as it will be using part of your
>> available bandwidth. Not an issue if you have gigabit service but
>> could be an issue if you are using 50Megabit service where some start
>> out.
>>

>Ob Veeus says:
>
>The above is what my cable company should have done. Instead, they shut
>down the cable TV and then wanted me to switch to a streaming service
>offered by them…and that service was at the same price as their cable; so
>2x+ more than YouTubeTV.

Wow.. That's a crazy suggestion, especially when there are so many
options out there to replace the TV service with a streaming service.
When I was considering dropping TV service the cable company pointed
me to their DirecTV streaming service which was about 40-50 dollar
savings over what I was getting at the time. Not as cheap as something
like SlingTV or Youtube, but still a much more reasonable price.

I would suggest taking a look at this site to see the options. It's
great because all of the streaming services are listed and you get to
pick and choose which channels are important to you and then see which
service carries them and at what service level (streaming, satellite
and cable.)

https://www.suppose.tv

>I have no doubt but that the cable company will eventually jack up the cost
>of internet so that they can try to recover the lost income from cable TV
>subscribers.

Most already do this. They have a discount if you get Internet service
and TV. Though some really push the TV service. In my brother's small
town the cable provider offers Internet service for one price and then
for $10 more/month you can have TV service added. It's not the
premiums but it is all of the locals and most of the cable channels
people want.

>Side note: ROKU is having a big sale on streaming services right now. Up
>to 90% off of some stuff like Paramount+ and Wondrium:
>https://www.roku.com/whats-on/the-roku-channel/offers/streaming-day-99-promo

Re: Cable Company Cutting Cord

<rpmn6i1ls4dvp328kmtcf2dd4rtltfghce@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187071&group=rec.arts.tv#187071

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 17:25:04 -0400
 by: shawn - Mon, 22 May 2023 21:25 UTC

On Mon, 22 May 2023 13:07:56 -0700, Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>On 2023-05-22 19:35:54 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> chromebook test <chromiumtest56@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Cable Company is Shutting Down Its TV Service & Replacing it With YouTube
>>> Luke Bouma May 15, 2023
>>> https://cordcuttersnews.com/one-more-cable-tv-company-is-shutting-down-its-tv-service-replacing-it-with-youtube-tv/
>>>

>>> Today the cable TV company WOW! announced a deal with YouTube TV to
>>> replace its cable TV service with YouTube TV. WOW! says it will start
>>> moving its remaining TV customers to YouTube TV this summer. It will also
>>> start selling YouTube TV to new customers now.
>>>
>>> This news comes as multiple cable TV companies, including Frontier, have
>>> stopped offering traditional cable TV and gone streaming online. Frontier
>>> has, for some time now, offered YouTube TV instead of its traditional
>>> TV service.
>>>
>>> Increasingly a growing number of cable TV companies are deciding TV is
>>> just not profitable enough. Now they are turning to streaming options so
>>> they can focus on internet and other services.
>>
>> This is what Ob Veeus has been doing (through Roku), including a virtual
>> cloud DVR on the YouTube, and trying to talk me into. Robin’s doing
>> something similar as well.
>
>I'm still toying with the idea of cutting the cable cord.
>
>As of right now, there are still a few things stopping me:
>
>1) Lack of an antenna for OTA signals (for local channels). I may get
>one this summer, when I have money again, to see if this solves the
>issue.

Go to https://www.antennasdirect.com/ and do a search for your zip
code to see the channels that are available and a suggestion for what
antenna would work best for you. You can get a great antenna for most
people for under $100.

If your TV doesn't have a signal meter that shows the signal strength
for a channel you may consider getting one of the cheap Mediasonic
DVRs that also include the signal meter. You want that as it makes it
easier to figure out where to place and angle the antenna to get the
best signal on all the channels you care about.

>2) Figuring out what to replace cable with - There's YouTube TV, Hulu
>TV, Sling TV, and a few others like Fubo and Philo (but I'm not sure
>the last two are right for me).

I said it in my other post but https://www.suppose.tv/tv is a great
option when comparing the services. Give it your city and configure
the channels you want and then you can see all of the options and
their prices.

>3) Figuring out if any of these have the channels I want - for example,
>it's deal-breaker if these packages don't include LMN, Hallmark M&M and
>a few others more obscure cable channels.
>
>4) What to do about sports?! (ESPN is the big one).

Just configuring those three channels in (LMN, Hallmark M&M and ESPN)
I can see on just the first page there are multiple solutions costing
around $50/month. (Yes, I'm a bit bored.)

>5) Is my old wireless router heading for the grave? (I will likely
>repace this soon too, to see if it solve things like my Spectrum app
>dropping the signal when using the app.)
>
>My brother, who cut the cord, and then uncut the cord, pointed out
>losing some other things we take for granted when cord-cutting, like
>"channel surfing" (though, I will say, these days, I find "channel
>surfing" to be largely a bust!).

Well, if you get an antenna then you can channel surf to your hearts
content. Last time I had my TV do a search for the channels I can
receive in my area it picked up 96 channels. Admittedly a number are
either religious channels or shopping channels but that's still a lot
channels to surf through. Oh, and I'm just using an indoor antenna. If
I put this outside or had one of the bigger antennas I'm sure I could
pick up many more stations.

Re: Cable Company Cutting Cord

<super70s-8B52BA.15270123052023@reader.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187156&group=rec.arts.tv#187156

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 15:27:01 -0500
 by: super70s - Tue, 23 May 2023 20:27 UTC

In article <rpmn6i1ls4dvp328kmtcf2dd4rtltfghce@4ax.com>,

> Go to https://www.antennasdirect.com/ and do a search for your zip
> code to see the channels that are available and a suggestion for what
> antenna would work best for you. You can get a great antenna for most
> people for under $100.
>
> If your TV doesn't have a signal meter that shows the signal strength
> for a channel you may consider getting one of the cheap Mediasonic
> DVRs that also include the signal meter. You want that as it makes it
> easier to figure out where to place and angle the antenna to get the
> best signal on all the channels you care about.

When the local stations made the (government forced) switch to digital
several years ago anyone who lives more than about 50 miles from the
transmitters got screwed.

I guess it was a gravy train for the cable providers who offer service
to the remote areas because there's no other alternative for free local
channels (well you might be about to tune some PBS station in that isn't
over 50 miles away).

You may be able to pick up signals 100-150 miles away with an inside
antenna that you paid $50 for but that certainly isn't my experience.

Re: Cable Company Cutting Cord

<nl9q6ilvbrnv374onmmdk5qtr42kv03850@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187163&group=rec.arts.tv#187163

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 16:50:31 -0400
 by: shawn - Tue, 23 May 2023 20:50 UTC

On Tue, 23 May 2023 15:27:01 -0500, super70s
<super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:

>In article <rpmn6i1ls4dvp328kmtcf2dd4rtltfghce@4ax.com>,
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>
>> Go to https://www.antennasdirect.com/ and do a search for your zip
>> code to see the channels that are available and a suggestion for what
>> antenna would work best for you. You can get a great antenna for most
>> people for under $100.
>>
>> If your TV doesn't have a signal meter that shows the signal strength
>> for a channel you may consider getting one of the cheap Mediasonic
>> DVRs that also include the signal meter. You want that as it makes it
>> easier to figure out where to place and angle the antenna to get the
>> best signal on all the channels you care about.
>
>When the local stations made the (government forced) switch to digital
>several years ago anyone who lives more than about 50 miles from the
>transmitters got screwed.
>
>I guess it was a gravy train for the cable providers who offer service
>to the remote areas because there's no other alternative for free local
>channels (well you might be about to tune some PBS station in that isn't
>over 50 miles away).
>
>You may be able to pick up signals 100-150 miles away with an inside
>antenna that you paid $50 for but that certainly isn't my experience.

Isn't that getting a bit tough anyway due to the curvature of the
earth? Really without buying a specialty antenna and putting it very
high off the ground you are going to be limited to reception from
stations within 50-60 miles.

Re: Cable Company Cutting Cord

<u4jbor$da92$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187170&group=rec.arts.tv#187170

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 14:38:35 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Tue, 23 May 2023 21:38 UTC

On 5/23/2023 1:50 PM, shawn wrote:
> On Tue, 23 May 2023 15:27:01 -0500, super70s
> <super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:
>
>> In article <rpmn6i1ls4dvp328kmtcf2dd4rtltfghce@4ax.com>,
>> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Go to https://www.antennasdirect.com/ and do a search for your zip
>>> code to see the channels that are available and a suggestion for what
>>> antenna would work best for you. You can get a great antenna for most
>>> people for under $100.
>>>
>>> If your TV doesn't have a signal meter that shows the signal strength
>>> for a channel you may consider getting one of the cheap Mediasonic
>>> DVRs that also include the signal meter. You want that as it makes it
>>> easier to figure out where to place and angle the antenna to get the
>>> best signal on all the channels you care about.
>>
>> When the local stations made the (government forced) switch to digital
>> several years ago anyone who lives more than about 50 miles from the
>> transmitters got screwed.
>>
>> I guess it was a gravy train for the cable providers who offer service
>> to the remote areas because there's no other alternative for free local
>> channels (well you might be about to tune some PBS station in that isn't
>> over 50 miles away).
>>
>> You may be able to pick up signals 100-150 miles away with an inside
>> antenna that you paid $50 for but that certainly isn't my experience.
>
> Isn't that getting a bit tough anyway due to the curvature of the
> earth? Really without buying a specialty antenna and putting it very
> high off the ground you are going to be limited to reception from
> stations within 50-60 miles.

True, we had trouble with a rooftop antenna picking up stations 80 miles
away. A couple we couldn't get and those we did were pretty fuzzy.

Ian shouldn't have much trouble though. Where he lives in SoCal there's
plenty of stations within 50 miles.

Re: Cable Company Cutting Cord

<bgdq6ippjsagqu47vad41lrqs0nvltq1l5@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187175&group=rec.arts.tv#187175

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 18:00:50 -0400
 by: shawn - Tue, 23 May 2023 22:00 UTC

On Tue, 23 May 2023 14:38:35 -0700, suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:

>On 5/23/2023 1:50 PM, shawn wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 May 2023 15:27:01 -0500, super70s
>> <super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:

>>> When the local stations made the (government forced) switch to digital
>>> several years ago anyone who lives more than about 50 miles from the
>>> transmitters got screwed.
>>>
>>> I guess it was a gravy train for the cable providers who offer service
>>> to the remote areas because there's no other alternative for free local
>>> channels (well you might be about to tune some PBS station in that isn't
>>> over 50 miles away).
>>>
>>> You may be able to pick up signals 100-150 miles away with an inside
>>> antenna that you paid $50 for but that certainly isn't my experience.
>>
>> Isn't that getting a bit tough anyway due to the curvature of the
>> earth? Really without buying a specialty antenna and putting it very
>> high off the ground you are going to be limited to reception from
>> stations within 50-60 miles.
>
>True, we had trouble with a rooftop antenna picking up stations 80 miles
>away. A couple we couldn't get and those we did were pretty fuzzy.
>
>Ian shouldn't have much trouble though. Where he lives in SoCal there's
>plenty of stations within 50 miles.

Agreed. For me using an indoor antenna that was just placed by a
window (not necessarily the best indoor location) I can pick up
stations within 30 miles easily except for a number of low power
stations located about 10-15 miles away in downtown Atlanta.

Re: Cable Company Cutting Cord

<u4jdlp$2mttr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187176&group=rec.arts.tv#187176

Followup: rec.arts.tv
From: Nys...@LogicalInsight.net (Nyssa)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 18:10:36 -0400
 by: Nyssa - Tue, 23 May 2023 22:10 UTC

shawn wrote:

> On Tue, 23 May 2023 15:27:01 -0500, super70s
> <super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:
>
>>In article <rpmn6i1ls4dvp328kmtcf2dd4rtltfghce@4ax.com>,
>> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Go to https://www.antennasdirect.com/ and do a search
>>> for your zip code to see the channels that are available
>>> and a suggestion for what antenna would work best for
>>> you. You can get a great antenna for most people for
>>> under $100.
>>>
>>> If your TV doesn't have a signal meter that shows the
>>> signal strength for a channel you may consider getting
>>> one of the cheap Mediasonic DVRs that also include the
>>> signal meter. You want that as it makes it easier to
>>> figure out where to place and angle the antenna to get
>>> the best signal on all the channels you care about.
>>
>>When the local stations made the (government forced)
>>switch to digital several years ago anyone who lives more
>>than about 50 miles from the transmitters got screwed.
>>
>>I guess it was a gravy train for the cable providers who
>>offer service to the remote areas because there's no other
>>alternative for free local channels (well you might be
>>about to tune some PBS station in that isn't over 50 miles
>>away).
>>
>>You may be able to pick up signals 100-150 miles away with
>>an inside antenna that you paid $50 for but that certainly
>>isn't my experience.
>
> Isn't that getting a bit tough anyway due to the curvature
> of the earth? Really without buying a specialty antenna
> and putting it very high off the ground you are going to
> be limited to reception from stations within 50-60 miles.

I'm smack in between two TV "markets" and have trouble
getting signals from both directions since the digital
switch.

Before the switch I could get most of the stations broadcasting
in both markets.

What I really enjoyed was DXing in the olden days (searching
for out of region stations during signal "skips"). Back during
the analog days, I had gotten stations up and down the East
Coast (from Montreal to St. Lauderdale, FL), and stations
as far away as Duluth, MN, Missouri, and Iowa. My longest
score was a Mexican station on channel 4.

Now with digital and a quality indoor antenna, I can't
reliably get a signal from a station 50 miles to the north.
Breakups and pixelations galore.

:(

Nyssa, who is reminded of the line "we're from the government
and are here to help" since they've helped me right out of
both a DXing hobby and decent TV reception of "local"
stations :P~~~~~~~

Re: Cable Company Cutting Cord

<1459439864.706575006.582136.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187187&group=rec.arts.tv#187187

Followup: rec.arts.tv
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 16:09:43 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 23 May 2023 23:09 UTC

Nyssa <Nyssa@LogicalInsight.net> wrote:
> shawn wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 23 May 2023 15:27:01 -0500, super70s
>> <super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:

>>> When the local stations made the (government forced)
>>> switch to digital several years ago anyone who lives more
>>> than about 50 miles from the transmitters got screwed.
>>>
>>> I guess it was a gravy train for the cable providers who
>>> offer service to the remote areas because there's no other
>>> alternative for free local channels (well you might be
>>> about to tune some PBS station in that isn't over 50 miles
>>> away).
>>>
>>> You may be able to pick up signals 100-150 miles away with
>>> an inside antenna that you paid $50 for but that certainly
>>> isn't my experience.
>>
>> Isn't that getting a bit tough anyway due to the curvature
>> of the earth? Really without buying a specialty antenna
>> and putting it very high off the ground you are going to
>> be limited to reception from stations within 50-60 miles.
>
> I'm smack in between two TV "markets" and have trouble
> getting signals from both directions since the digital
> switch.
>
> Before the switch I could get most of the stations broadcasting
> in both markets.
>
> What I really enjoyed was DXing in the olden days (searching
> for out of region stations during signal "skips"). Back during
> the analog days, I had gotten stations up and down the East
> Coast (from Montreal to St. Lauderdale, FL), and stations
> as far away as Duluth, MN, Missouri, and Iowa. My longest
> score was a Mexican station on channel 4.
>
> Now with digital and a quality indoor antenna, I can't
> reliably get a signal from a station 50 miles to the north.
> Breakups and pixelations galore.

That’s probably because digital is “all or nothing“.

An old fashion analog signal might look fuzzy, but there will still be
something there as the signal degrades. A digital signal will just stop
working.

> :(
>
> Nyssa, who is reminded of the line "we're from the government
> and are here to help" since they've helped me right out of
> both a DXing hobby and decent TV reception of "local"
> stations :P~~~~~~~

Re: Cable Company Cutting Cord

<efjq6ip7gesh77h7k62stjjen98204i6ls@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187189&group=rec.arts.tv#187189

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 19:40:58 -0400
 by: shawn - Tue, 23 May 2023 23:40 UTC

On Tue, 23 May 2023 16:09:43 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>Nyssa <Nyssa@LogicalInsight.net> wrote:
>> shawn wrote:

>>> Isn't that getting a bit tough anyway due to the curvature
>>> of the earth? Really without buying a specialty antenna
>>> and putting it very high off the ground you are going to
>>> be limited to reception from stations within 50-60 miles.
>>
>> I'm smack in between two TV "markets" and have trouble
>> getting signals from both directions since the digital
>> switch.
>>
>> Before the switch I could get most of the stations broadcasting
>> in both markets.
>>
>> What I really enjoyed was DXing in the olden days (searching
>> for out of region stations during signal "skips"). Back during
>> the analog days, I had gotten stations up and down the East
>> Coast (from Montreal to St. Lauderdale, FL), and stations
>> as far away as Duluth, MN, Missouri, and Iowa. My longest
>> score was a Mexican station on channel 4.
>>
>> Now with digital and a quality indoor antenna, I can't
>> reliably get a signal from a station 50 miles to the north.
>> Breakups and pixelations galore.
>
>That’s probably because digital is “all or nothing“.
>
>An old fashion analog signal might look fuzzy, but there will still be
>something there as the signal degrades. A digital signal will just stop
>working.

The good thing about ATSC 3.0 is that the signal is much more robust.
To the point that in tests with a moving car the ATSC 1.0 picture
constantly breaks up while the ATSC 3.0 picture is rock solid. The
unfortunate thing is not many areas have ATSC 3.0 channels and there's
no rush for them to cut over. Some of the providers are trying to push
the FCC to set a cut over date but so far there's no interest in doing
that so it will be slow going and many of the smaller stations will
never cut over unless forced to do so. Here in Atlanta we have
Fox/ABC/CBS/NBC and WPCH that have a next gen channel. Out of the 96
channels in the area that isn't many ATSC 3.0 channels.

Re: Cable Company Cutting Cord

<jmjq6itti5ac7flnevkvnqnh2t56bu5d5q@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187191&group=rec.arts.tv#187191

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 16:46:50 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 23 May 2023 23:46 UTC

On Tue, 23 May 2023 15:27:01 -0500, super70s
<super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:

>You may be able to pick up signals 100-150 miles away with an inside
>antenna that you paid $50 for but that certainly isn't my experience.

I dunno - when I was growing up back in the stone ages (e.g.
pre-cable) Vancouver could pick up Seattle CBS KIRO-7, NBC KING-5 and
ABC KOMO-4 reasonably clearly at least if you lived on the hilly north
side of Vancouver as we did - and downtown to downtown is 142 miles.

What sold cable in Vancouver initially is that all 3 of the above were
50000 watt transmitters while KCTS-9 the U of Wash PBS affiliate was
5000 watts and in the far south of Seattle meaning that it was NOT
readily viewable and when it was the picture quality was crap. As
opposed to cable which was initially antenna received to a ski hut
about 3000-4000 feet up on a local ski hill in a cabin jammed full of
antennas.

Being 12-13 I had no idea as to what cable initially cost but I pay
$150/mo for my high speed internet connection with the same company
40+ years later so that's probably in line (adjusted for inflation).

The cable company after about 20 years of doing only TV realized they
were using at most 15% of their bandwidth and looking for ways to make
some $$$ from the unused 85% and became the first local cable internet
provider.....and built a billion dollar empire from it.

Re: Cable Company Cutting Cord

<u4jkoa$2nj8t$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187195&group=rec.arts.tv#187195

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 17:11:55 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Wed, 24 May 2023 00:11 UTC

On 2023-05-23 23:40:58 +0000, shawn said:

> On Tue, 23 May 2023 16:09:43 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>> Nyssa <Nyssa@LogicalInsight.net> wrote:

>>> I'm smack in between two TV "markets" and have trouble
>>> getting signals from both directions since the digital
>>> switch.
>>>
>>> Before the switch I could get most of the stations broadcasting
>>> in both markets.
>>>
>>> What I really enjoyed was DXing in the olden days (searching
>>> for out of region stations during signal "skips"). Back during
>>> the analog days, I had gotten stations up and down the East
>>> Coast (from Montreal to St. Lauderdale, FL), and stations
>>> as far away as Duluth, MN, Missouri, and Iowa. My longest
>>> score was a Mexican station on channel 4.
>>>
>>> Now with digital and a quality indoor antenna, I can't
>>> reliably get a signal from a station 50 miles to the north.
>>> Breakups and pixelations galore.
>>
>> That’s probably because digital is “all or nothing“.
>>
>> An old fashion analog signal might look fuzzy, but there will still be
>> something there as the signal degrades. A digital signal will just stop
>> working.
>
> The good thing about ATSC 3.0 is that the signal is much more robust.
> To the point that in tests with a moving car the ATSC 1.0 picture
> constantly breaks up while the ATSC 3.0 picture is rock solid. The
> unfortunate thing is not many areas have ATSC 3.0 channels and there's
> no rush for them to cut over.

San DIE-ego definitely does not - I've been keeping an eye on it. I
don't even think there will be one in the next 12 months... >:/

> Some of the providers are trying to push
> the FCC to set a cut over date but so far there's no interest in doing
> that so it will be slow going and many of the smaller stations will
> never cut over unless forced to do so. Here in Atlanta we have
> Fox/ABC/CBS/NBC and WPCH that have a next gen channel. Out of the 96
> channels in the area that isn't many ATSC 3.0 channels.

I actually don't have a problem with them never forcing the low-power
guys to ATSC 3.0. But pretty much all of the "Big Four" network
stations should be forced to, sooner rather than later.

Re: Cable Company Cutting Cord

<u4jnvk$2nrt7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187201&group=rec.arts.tv#187201

Followup: rec.arts.tv
From: Nys...@LogicalInsight.net (Nyssa)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 20:29:15 -0400
References: <399475267.706476442.423425.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <u4gi2s$28l65$1@dont-email.me> <rpmn6i1ls4dvp328kmtcf2dd4rtltfghce@4ax.com> <super70s-8B52BA.15270123052023@reader.eternal-september.org> <nl9q6ilvbrnv374onmmdk5qtr42kv03850@4ax.com> <u4jdlp$2mttr$1@dont-email.me> <1459439864.706575006.582136.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <efjq6ip7gesh77h7k62stjjen98204i6ls@4ax.com>
 by: Nyssa - Wed, 24 May 2023 00:29 UTC

shawn wrote:

> On Tue, 23 May 2023 16:09:43 -0700, anim8rfsk
> <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>Nyssa <Nyssa@LogicalInsight.net> wrote:

>>> I'm smack in between two TV "markets" and have trouble
>>> getting signals from both directions since the digital
>>> switch.
>>>
>>> Before the switch I could get most of the stations
>>> broadcasting in both markets.
>>>
>>> What I really enjoyed was DXing in the olden days
>>> (searching for out of region stations during signal
>>> "skips"). Back during the analog days, I had gotten
>>> stations up and down the East Coast (from Montreal to
>>> St. Lauderdale, FL), and stations as far away as Duluth,
>>> MN, Missouri, and Iowa. My longest score was a Mexican
>>> station on channel 4.
>>>
>>> Now with digital and a quality indoor antenna, I can't
>>> reliably get a signal from a station 50 miles to the
>>> north. Breakups and pixelations galore.
>>
>>That?s probably because digital is ?all or nothing?.
>>
>>An old fashion analog signal might look fuzzy, but there
>>will still be something there as the signal degrades. A
>>digital signal will just stop working.
>

> The good thing about ATSC 3.0 is that the signal is much
> more robust. To the point that in tests with a moving car
> the ATSC 1.0 picture constantly breaks up while the ATSC
> 3.0 picture is rock solid. The unfortunate thing is not
> many areas have ATSC 3.0 channels and there's no rush for
> them to cut over. Some of the providers are trying to push
> the FCC to set a cut over date but so far there's no
> interest in doing that so it will be slow going and many
> of the smaller stations will never cut over unless forced
> to do so. Here in Atlanta we have Fox/ABC/CBS/NBC and WPCH
> that have a next gen channel. Out of the 96 channels in
> the area that isn't many ATSC 3.0 channels.

But will that require a different converter box once
the 3.0 standard does make an appearance?

In the same vein, would current TV sets be compatible,
or would *those* need a converter?

It's probably a moot point since I doubt either of
my semi-local markets would be quick to jump on the
3.0 bandwagon anyway.

Nyssa, who remembers when you needed to have a UHF
converter box to get the channels over 13 in the
really olden TV days

Re: Cable Company Cutting Cord

<j4pq6ih0rm7mh0p4htc8qbtf0n1oitaufa@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187203&group=rec.arts.tv#187203

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
References: <399475267.706476442.423425.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <u4gi2s$28l65$1@dont-email.me> <rpmn6i1ls4dvp328kmtcf2dd4rtltfghce@4ax.com> <super70s-8B52BA.15270123052023@reader.eternal-september.org> <nl9q6ilvbrnv374onmmdk5qtr42kv03850@4ax.com> <u4jdlp$2mttr$1@dont-email.me> <1459439864.706575006.582136.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <efjq6ip7gesh77h7k62stjjen98204i6ls@4ax.com> <u4jnvk$2nrt7$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 21:18:39 -0400
 by: shawn - Wed, 24 May 2023 01:18 UTC

On Tue, 23 May 2023 20:29:15 -0400, Nyssa <Nyssa@LogicalInsight.net>
wrote:

>shawn wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 23 May 2023 16:09:43 -0700, anim8rfsk
>> <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>But will that require a different converter box once
>the 3.0 standard does make an appearance?
>
>In the same vein, would current TV sets be compatible,
>or would *those* need a converter?

It depends on what you have. If you are using a converter box then
yes, you will need a new one that understands the ATSC 3.0 format. If
you have an older TV then you will either need a new TV or a converter
box that understands the ATSC 3.0 format. Many of the newer TVs
(especially those in the $500 and up range) already understand the
ATSC 3.0 format and so don't need any additional equipment.

To show just how early on in the process we are some broadcast
stations have started to encrypt their signal. They say it's to
prevent the IP broadcasting of their signal where by someone
multicasts the TV channel to many people around the Internet. The
current converters on the market can't handle encryption so the people
in those markets are out of luck for now. Luckily they are updating
their firmware this summer so the boxes will be able to handle
encryption and the stations say they will be providing the keys so
everyone with a converter box should be able to get the channels.

It's just one of those things that happen early in the process of
rolling out a new system.
>It's probably a moot point since I doubt either of
>my semi-local markets would be quick to jump on the
>3.0 bandwagon anyway.
>
>Nyssa, who remembers when you needed to have a UHF
>converter box to get the channels over 13 in the
>really olden TV days

Re: Cable Company Cutting Cord

<u4jpbt$2o0bl$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187205&group=rec.arts.tv#187205

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 18:30:37 -0700
References: <399475267.706476442.423425.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <u4gi2s$28l65$1@dont-email.me> <rpmn6i1ls4dvp328kmtcf2dd4rtltfghce@4ax.com> <nl9q6ilvbrnv374onmmdk5qtr42kv03850@4ax.com> <u4jdlp$2mttr$1@dont-email.me> <1459439864.706575006.582136.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <efjq6ip7gesh77h7k62stjjen98204i6ls@4ax.com> <u4jnvk$2nrt7$1@dont-email.me> <j4pq6ih0rm7mh0p4htc8qbtf0n1oitaufa@4ax.com>
 by: Ian J. Ball - Wed, 24 May 2023 01:30 UTC

On 2023-05-24 01:18:39 +0000, shawn said:

> On Tue, 23 May 2023 20:29:15 -0400, Nyssa <Nyssa@LogicalInsight.net>
> wrote:
>
>> shawn wrote:

>> But will that require a different converter box once
>> the 3.0 standard does make an appearance?
>>
>> In the same vein, would current TV sets be compatible,
>> or would *those* need a converter?
>
> It depends on what you have. If you are using a converter box then
> yes, you will need a new one that understands the ATSC 3.0 format. If
> you have an older TV then you will either need a new TV or a converter
> box that understands the ATSC 3.0 format. Many of the newer TVs
> (especially those in the $500 and up range) already understand the
> ATSC 3.0 format and so don't need any additional equipment.

I'm not sure how true that is - I'm pretty sure when I looked into it,
my LG OLED C2 did *not* natively work with ATSC 3.0. (And it's a >$1000
TV.) IOW, I would need a converted box.

I think the higher-end LG OLED G2s/G3s may natively handle ATSC 3.0, though.

> To show just how early on in the process we are some broadcast
> stations have started to encrypt their signal. They say it's to
> prevent the IP broadcasting of their signal where by someone
> multicasts the TV channel to many people around the Internet. The
> current converters on the market can't handle encryption so the people
> in those markets are out of luck for now. Luckily they are updating
> their firmware this summer so the boxes will be able to handle
> encryption and the stations say they will be providing the keys so
> everyone with a converter box should be able to get the channels.
>
> It's just one of those things that happen early in the process of
> rolling out a new system.

Re: Cable Company Cutting Cord

<ciqq6idnf3vquftsce72cdlrp3cq8jojvt@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187206&group=rec.arts.tv#187206

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
References: <399475267.706476442.423425.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <u4gi2s$28l65$1@dont-email.me> <rpmn6i1ls4dvp328kmtcf2dd4rtltfghce@4ax.com> <nl9q6ilvbrnv374onmmdk5qtr42kv03850@4ax.com> <u4jdlp$2mttr$1@dont-email.me> <1459439864.706575006.582136.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <efjq6ip7gesh77h7k62stjjen98204i6ls@4ax.com> <u4jnvk$2nrt7$1@dont-email.me> <j4pq6ih0rm7mh0p4htc8qbtf0n1oitaufa@4ax.com> <u4jpbt$2o0bl$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 21:40:43 -0400
 by: shawn - Wed, 24 May 2023 01:40 UTC

On Tue, 23 May 2023 18:30:37 -0700, Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>On 2023-05-24 01:18:39 +0000, shawn said:
>
>> On Tue, 23 May 2023 20:29:15 -0400, Nyssa <Nyssa@LogicalInsight.net>
>> wrote:

>>> But will that require a different converter box once
>>> the 3.0 standard does make an appearance?
>>>
>>> In the same vein, would current TV sets be compatible,
>>> or would *those* need a converter?
>>
>> It depends on what you have. If you are using a converter box then
>> yes, you will need a new one that understands the ATSC 3.0 format. If
>> you have an older TV then you will either need a new TV or a converter
>> box that understands the ATSC 3.0 format. Many of the newer TVs
>> (especially those in the $500 and up range) already understand the
>> ATSC 3.0 format and so don't need any additional equipment.
>
>I'm not sure how true that is - I'm pretty sure when I looked into it,
>my LG OLED C2 did *not* natively work with ATSC 3.0. (And it's a >$1000
>TV.) IOW, I would need a converted box.
>
>I think the higher-end LG OLED G2s/G3s may natively handle ATSC 3.0, though.

They do.
https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/best-tvs-with-atsc-30-tuners
https://www.watchnextgentv.com/shop/

>> To show just how early on in the process we are some broadcast
>> stations have started to encrypt their signal. They say it's to
>> prevent the IP broadcasting of their signal where by someone
>> multicasts the TV channel to many people around the Internet. The
>> current converters on the market can't handle encryption so the people
>> in those markets are out of luck for now. Luckily they are updating
>> their firmware this summer so the boxes will be able to handle
>> encryption and the stations say they will be providing the keys so
>> everyone with a converter box should be able to get the channels.
>>
>> It's just one of those things that happen early in the process of
>> rolling out a new system.

It's going to take time for this to take off. Really don't expect it
to start to take until we see the lower end TVs (at least those around
$300-400) getting ATSC 3.0 tuners included. That's when the pressure
will start to mount on stations to get on board. Right now it's really
for people who want to be on the bleeding edge of the technology.

Re: Cable Company Cutting Cord

<u4jsqt$2rt1t$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187217&group=rec.arts.tv#187217

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 02:29:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 24 May 2023 02:29 UTC

>>. . .

>It depends on what you have. If you are using a converter box then
>yes, you will need a new one that understands the ATSC 3.0 format. If
>you have an older TV then you will either need a new TV or a converter
>box that understands the ATSC 3.0 format. Many of the newer TVs
>(especially those in the $500 and up range) already understand the
>ATSC 3.0 format and so don't need any additional equipment.

>To show just how early on in the process we are some broadcast
>stations have started to encrypt their signal.

Shit

Years ago, FCC cracked down on pay analogue tv that scrambled its
signal. I thought that's disallowed on broadcast.

>They say it's to prevent the IP broadcasting of their signal where by
>someone multicasts the TV channel to many people around the Internet.

Why do they care where their viewers are?

>The current converters on the market can't handle encryption so the people
>in those markets are out of luck for now. Luckily they are updating
>their firmware this summer so the boxes will be able to handle
>encryption and the stations say they will be providing the keys so
>everyone with a converter box should be able to get the channels.

Uh huh. 3.0 promised targeted advertising to individuals. I think they
are lying about their motives.

>. . .

Re: Cable Company Cutting Cord

<230520232317180972%nope@noway.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187221&group=rec.arts.tv#187221

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 23:17:18 -0400
 by: A Friend - Wed, 24 May 2023 03:17 UTC

In article <u4jnvk$2nrt7$1@dont-email.me>, Nyssa
<Nyssa@LogicalInsight.net> wrote:

> Nyssa, who remembers when you needed to have a UHF
> converter box to get the channels over 13 in the
> really olden TV days

Oh, yes. There were public service ads about them, but nobody ever got
one.

TVs weren't required to have UHF tuners until the 1965 model year, I
think it was. We got a set in 1966 that had one; there were only two
UHF stations available locally, and one of them was all-Spanish.

Re: Cable Company Cutting Cord

<230520232324447680%nope@noway.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187222&group=rec.arts.tv#187222

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 23:24:44 -0400
 by: A Friend - Wed, 24 May 2023 03:24 UTC

In article <u4jsqt$2rt1t$1@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>
> >>. . .
>
> >It depends on what you have. If you are using a converter box then
> >yes, you will need a new one that understands the ATSC 3.0 format. If
> >you have an older TV then you will either need a new TV or a converter
> >box that understands the ATSC 3.0 format. Many of the newer TVs
> >(especially those in the $500 and up range) already understand the
> >ATSC 3.0 format and so don't need any additional equipment.
>
> >To show just how early on in the process we are some broadcast
> >stations have started to encrypt their signal.
>
> Shit
>
> Years ago, FCC cracked down on pay analogue tv that scrambled its
> signal. I thought that's disallowed on broadcast.

It is. Broadcast signals carried on the public airwaves are required
to be in a format that can be received by anybody.

In the '70s and '80s, some stations began selling their overnight time
to syndicators who offered PPV movies and concerts. The picture was
scrambled; the sound came through fine. The idea didn't catch on.

Re: Cable Company Cutting Cord

<c47r6iphkq63sc7pe9fsccmgg98kfsnddk@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187226&group=rec.arts.tv#187226

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 01:15:40 -0400
 by: shawn - Wed, 24 May 2023 05:15 UTC

On Wed, 24 May 2023 02:29:49 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>
>>>. . .
>
>>It depends on what you have. If you are using a converter box then
>>yes, you will need a new one that understands the ATSC 3.0 format. If
>>you have an older TV then you will either need a new TV or a converter
>>box that understands the ATSC 3.0 format. Many of the newer TVs
>>(especially those in the $500 and up range) already understand the
>>ATSC 3.0 format and so don't need any additional equipment.
>
>>To show just how early on in the process we are some broadcast
>>stations have started to encrypt their signal.
>
>Shit
>
>Years ago, FCC cracked down on pay analogue tv that scrambled its
>signal. I thought that's disallowed on broadcast.
>
>>They say it's to prevent the IP broadcasting of their signal where by
>>someone multicasts the TV channel to many people around the Internet.
>
>Why do they care where their viewers are?

I think the problem is the studios are afraid of people stealing their
content so the stations are worried about either being sued for
enabling the theft or finding it harder to get content if they don't
encrypt the signal. That's just a guess on my part as I haven't seen a
good explanation for why they are doing it.

>>The current converters on the market can't handle encryption so the people
>>in those markets are out of luck for now. Luckily they are updating
>>their firmware this summer so the boxes will be able to handle
>>encryption and the stations say they will be providing the keys so
>>everyone with a converter box should be able to get the channels.
>
>Uh huh. 3.0 promised targeted advertising to individuals. I think they
>are lying about their motives.
>
>>. . .

There are definitely some people who want to make money off encrypted
signals. Imagine being able to charge to see the latest movie and just
watching it from an OTA signal. No need to be paying for cable or
satellite. I think that's their thought and may be why some stations
are testing encryption.