Is death legally binding?

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-27 (Saturday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-05-27 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-27 (Saturday)Dimensional Traveler
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-27 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb
|`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-27 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-27 (Saturday)Ubiquitous

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-05-27 (Saturday)

<u4vsvp$u3cm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187801&group=rec.arts.tv#187801

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-27 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 08:46:02 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 28 May 2023 15:46 UTC

Effectively finished garding my lecture classes yesterday. Today, I
just need to finish grading my lab classes. Then I can watch movies all
day Monday!!

But, yesterday, I was able to get through a movie, and some "The Blacklist"...:

soaps: GH - Wed's ep. I don't know how Carly already knew that Sonny
and Nina are engaged, but somehow she did. Diane tells Carly that her
legal case is screwed. Ava warns Nina that her entire world is built on
a lie, and when Sonny finds out then Nina is toast. The "recast"
Kristina shows up, and I already really don't like Kate Mansi in the
role. I think we get the last scenes with Haley Pullos as Molly (and I
don't expect Pullos to be back to the role, as she's facing serious
legal jeopardy after that DUI car accident).

golf - Day 3 at the Charles Schwab challenge in Fort Worth, TX. An
English golfer I've never even heard of named Harry Hall has led this
tournament most of the way, though he almost lost the lead on Day
Three, scoring *two* double-bogeys in a row, before managing to get
back into a tie for the lead. The lead is shared with Adam Schenk, with
Harris English just one back, and then the next set are 3 strokes back
from there.

The Blacklist (recorded) - "The Man in the Hat" (ep. #10.11).
A kind of pointless, one-off episode, in which Ressler and Dembe
interview the witnesses at a convenience store armed robbery/hostage
situation after internet footage from the crime appears to show that
Red was one of the hostages.
But when Ressler and Dembe get inside the store after the armed
robber is shot and killed, Red is nowhere to be found, and one of the
other hostages is wearing Red's jacket and hat. So they have to
interview the other hostages and get them to admit what they know about
Red's presence there.
Meanwhile, Siya Malik finally gets into the task force's files...
and discovers that Meera Malik isn't even really Siya's biological
mother!!
There really wasn't much to this episode, and what they are doing
with Red in season #10 is increasingly perplexing....

Seven Kings Must Die (Netflix) - The final "sequel movie" to "The Last
Kingdom" that basically finally ties up the TV show's storylines.
They recast Sonya Cassidy with the much shorter (and older) Elaine
Cassidy ("Harper's Island"!!) which is a little unfortunate, and then
introduce a new son of Uhtred's (I don't even remember who this son's
mother is!). Young (future) King Edmund is also in this (though I love
how they ignore that Edmund had at least a brother and a sister...).
Anyway, this adequately ties up Uhtred's storyline, though not
without some omissions (for example, they don't manage to get Hild, who
appears through the TV series, in here; and I've been annoyed that
Uhtred's first wife Mildrith is never mentioned again after season 1,
though actress Amy Wren may have retired from acting). But I really
don't like what they did to the character of King Aethelstan in this
one (he does "get better" by the end...).

So, what did you watch?...

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-27 (Saturday)

<u4vv8o$uhgi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187803&group=rec.arts.tv#187803

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-27 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 09:24:58 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 28 May 2023 16:24 UTC

On 5/28/2023 8:46 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> [...]
> Kingdom" that basically finally ties up the TV show's storylines.
>   They recast Sonya Cassidy with the much shorter (and older) Elaine
> Cassidy ("Harper's Island"!!) which is a little unfortunate, and then
> introduce a new son of Uhtred's (I don't even remember who this son's
> mother is!). Young (future) King Edmund is also in this (though I love
> how they ignore that Edmund had at least a brother and a sister...).
>   Anyway, this adequately ties up Uhtred's storyline, though not
> without some omissions (for example, they don't manage to get Hild, who
> appears through the TV series, in here; and I've been annoyed that
> Uhtred's first wife Mildrith is never mentioned again after season 1,
> though actress Amy Wren may have retired from acting). But I really
> don't like what they did to the character of King Aethelstan in this one

History's Greatest Mysteries S4E15 'The Legend of Bigfoot'

What Did You Watch?

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-27 (Saturday)

<u506lp$vmf4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187811&group=rec.arts.tv#187811

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 11:31:06 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 28 May 2023 18:31 UTC

On 5/28/2023 8:46 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> Effectively finished garding my lecture classes yesterday. Today, I just
> need to finish grading my lab classes. Then I can watch movies all day
> Monday!!
>
> But, yesterday, I was able to get through a movie, and some "The
> Blacklist"...:
>
> soaps: GH - Wed's ep. I don't know how Carly already knew that Sonny and
> Nina are engaged, but somehow she did. Diane tells Carly that her legal
> case is screwed. Ava warns Nina that her entire world is built on a lie,
> and when Sonny finds out then Nina is toast. The "recast" Kristina shows
> up, and I already really don't like Kate Mansi in the role. I think we
> get the last scenes with Haley Pullos as Molly (and I don't expect
> Pullos to be back to the role, as she's facing serious legal jeopardy
> after that DUI car accident).
>
> golf - Day 3 at the Charles Schwab challenge in Fort Worth, TX. An
> English golfer I've never even heard of named Harry Hall has led this
> tournament most of the way, though he almost lost the lead on Day Three,
> scoring *two* double-bogeys in a row, before managing to get back into a
> tie for the lead. The lead is shared with Adam Schenk, with Harris
> English just one back, and then the next set are 3 strokes back from there.
>
> The Blacklist (recorded) - "The Man in the Hat" (ep. #10.11).
>   A kind of pointless, one-off episode,

Agreed. And what exactly is Red's relationship to the team? It's all
really muddled how he just blows in and out on a whim.

in which Ressler and Dembe
> interview the witnesses at a convenience store armed robbery/hostage
> situation after internet footage from the crime appears to show that Red
> was one of the hostages.
>   But when Ressler and Dembe get inside the store after the armed
> robber is shot and killed, Red is nowhere to be found, and one of the
> other hostages is wearing Red's jacket and hat. So they have to
> interview the other hostages and get them to admit what they know about
> Red's presence there.
>   Meanwhile, Siya Malik finally gets into the task force's files... and
> discovers that Meera Malik isn't even really Siya's biological mother!!
>   There really wasn't much to this episode, and what they are doing
> with Red in season #10 is increasingly perplexing....
>
> Seven Kings Must Die (Netflix) - The final "sequel movie" to "The Last
> Kingdom" that basically finally ties up the TV show's storylines.

I was *tricked* into watching this! I saw the trailers on Netflix and
thought it looked interesting. But quickly after starting I was
*completely* lost! I had no idea it was a continuation of a series and
thought it was just a standalone movie. I think I watched maybe an hour
before I headed to Wiki to figure out what was going on, realized it was
part of a series and gave up on it.

>   They recast Sonya Cassidy with the much shorter (and older) Elaine
> Cassidy ("Harper's Island"!!) which is a little unfortunate, and then
> introduce a new son of Uhtred's (I don't even remember who this son's
> mother is!). Young (future) King Edmund is also in this (though I love
> how they ignore that Edmund had at least a brother and a sister...).
>   Anyway, this adequately ties up Uhtred's storyline, though not
> without some omissions (for example, they don't manage to get Hild, who
> appears through the TV series, in here; and I've been annoyed that
> Uhtred's first wife Mildrith is never mentioned again after season 1,
> though actress Amy Wren may have retired from acting). But I really
> don't like what they did to the character of King Aethelstan in this one
> (he does "get better" by the end...).
>
> So, what did you watch?...

I watched:

Man of Steel (4K disc) Zack Snyder's 2013 reboot of Superman. Henry
Cavill stars as Superman and does a pretty good job at it, but his Clark
Kent is all but nonexistent! The plot has Kay-El being sent to Earth by
his father (Russell Crowe) then having to save Earth from being forced
to kneel before Zod (Michael Shannon). The lack of a proper Clark Kent
not withstanding, but movie holds up very well.

I was watching a Zack SNyder interview a few days ago where he talked
about how Christopher Nolan wrote the script for Man of Steel, but
didn't want to direct it so he called up Snyder and asked if he would
direct it instead. I wonder if Nolan had directed Man of Steel, we
probably would have had a direct tie into the Christian Bale Batman
movies and Bale would have been Batman instead of Ben Affleck. I know
Bale was offered the chance to reprise the role, but with Nolan
directing he probably would have agreed. Nothing against Afflek's
Batman, but I would have loved a larger universe connection from the start.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (4K disc) Unrated director's cut of
the 2016 sequel which finds Ben Affleck's Batman being manipulated by
Lex Luthor (Jesse Eisenberg) into trying to take down Superman. Gal
Godot also co-stars as a Fast and Furious Wonder Woman. I generally
like the movie overall, but there are so many little things about it
that really annoy me. Chief among them being Jesse Eisenberg's Lex
Lulthor. I mean, What. Were. They. Thinking. The lack of a proper
Jimmy Olsen (let's not even get into what happened with his character)
and shoehorning in Doomsday at the end...so many things really bug me,
but I still like it. I just wish it was better. Although the Unrated
director cut's is definitely a step up from the theatrical cut.

Zack Snyder's Justice League (4K disc) The far superior Snyder Cut of
the Justice League. Clocking in at 4 hours Snyder takes his time in
establishing the various characters and plot lines as Batman was
assemble a team of heroes to save the Earth from an invasion from
Darkseid's henchman Steppenwolf. Holds up great.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-27 (Saturday)

<u50b04$10bfb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187816&group=rec.arts.tv#187816

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 12:45:08 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 28 May 2023 19:45 UTC

On 2023-05-28 18:31:06 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> On 5/28/2023 8:46 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> Effectively finished garding my lecture classes yesterday. Today, I
>> just need to finish grading my lab classes. Then I can watch movies all
>> day Monday!!
>>
>> But, yesterday, I was able to get through a movie, and some "The Blacklist"...:
>>
>> Seven Kings Must Die (Netflix) - The final "sequel movie" to "The Last
>> Kingdom" that basically finally ties up the TV show's storylines.
>
> I was *tricked* into watching this! I saw the trailers on Netflix and
> thought it looked interesting. But quickly after starting I was
> *completely* lost! I had no idea it was a continuation of a series and
> thought it was just a standalone movie. I think I watched maybe an
> hour before I headed to Wiki to figure out what was going on, realized
> it was part of a series and gave up on it.

Yes - this would make very little sense to someone who hadn't watched
"The Last Kingdom" series, unless you were somewhat familiar with the
historical Saxon period corresponding to the "founding" of England.

>>   They recast Sonya Cassidy with the much shorter (and older) Elaine
>> Cassidy ("Harper's Island"!!) which is a little unfortunate, and then
>> introduce a new son of Uhtred's (I don't even remember who this son's
>> mother is!). Young (future) King Edmund is also in this (though I love
>> how they ignore that Edmund had at least a brother and a sister...).
>>   Anyway, this adequately ties up Uhtred's storyline, though not
>> without some omissions (for example, they don't manage to get Hild, who
>> appears through the TV series, in here; and I've been annoyed that
>> Uhtred's first wife Mildrith is never mentioned again after season 1,
>> though actress Amy Wren may have retired from acting). But I really
>> don't like what they did to the character of King Aethelstan in this
>> one (he does "get better" by the end...).
>>
>> So, what did you watch?...
>
> I watched:
>
> [snip]

I am toying with the idea of doing what you did and rewatching the two
Tim Burton "Batman" movies, that I haven't seen in decades.

I am also toying with the idea of watching some of the more recent DC
films, now that they are in 4k and Dolby Atmos on the Max app.

But I'm probably not in any hurry to do either right now...

Ian (I'm also toying with the idea of watching the "Extended" versions
of "The Lord of the Rings" movies - but as each clocks in around 4
hours(!!) each(!), I can't say I'm in too big of a hurry on that
either!)

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-27 (Saturday)

<UBI20230527@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187974&group=rec.arts.tv#187974

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 04:30:43 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 30 May 2023 08:30 UTC

In article <u4vsvp$u3cm$1@dont-email.me>, IJBall@mac.invalid wrote:

>So, what did you watch?...

I watched:

THE NEWS AND WHY IT MATTERS:
A week's worth of eps while we searched through Dad's paperwork at the
house.

KING OF THE HILL:
"Death and Texas"�. Peggy is tricked into snuggling cocaine into jail.

KING OF THE HILL:
"Wings of the Dope". Louanne believes her dead boyfriend is visiting her as
a guardian angel.

RICK AND MORTY:
"Big Trouble in Little Sanchez". Rick puts his mind in a younger clone to
help slay a vampire at school; Beth and Jerry's marriage counciling goes
terribly wrong.

RICK AND MORTY:
"Look Who's Purging Now". Morty makes a mistake on a "purge planet" (like
the stupid movies) and Jerry and Summer work on their father daughter
relationship.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!