From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.stupidity,alt.whine
Subject: Wanda Sykes Criticizes Dave Chappelle For "Hurtful And Damaging" Trans Jokes
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 04:30:47 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 30 May 2023 08:30 UTC

Wanda Sykes isn't happy with her longtime friend and colleague Dave Chappelle
making jokes about transgender people.

Chappelle came under fire when his Netflix special "The Closer" came out in
2021. In it, the comedian claimed to be "Team TERF," an acronym for trans-
exclusionary radical feminist. He also defended "Harry Potter" author J.K.
Rowling, who has been criticized for stating that biological sex is a fact
and that men cannot be women.

His statements caused a national uproar and demands for Chappelle to be
canceled. Employees at Netflix staged a walkout in protest.

During a recent interview with Variety, Sykes discussed jokes she made about
"inclusive" bathroom policies which allow people to enter whichever bathroom
they want depending on the gender they identify with.

"I knew that it's such a delicate issue to talk about. I'm not trans, but
they have my support, 100%," Sykes told the publication.

"I wanted to find something where I can shine some light on what they're
going through, to show how just stupid and hateful really it is. I was in a
woman's bathroom one time, and I was like, 'Who would want to come in here
anyway? It was like, I kind of want to go check out the men's room.
Sometimes, it's even cleaner.' And that's how that whole bit started. I've
always just been grossed out by bathrooms."

When asked if her bit "balances out" what Chappelle said about transgender-
related topics, Sykes claimed the comedian did damage to transgender people.

"Um, I don't know about balancing it out, because I think what he said was so
hurtful and damaging to the trans community. So yeah, the scale is still
tipped, I will say, in their favor. But I know I wanted to say something,
because so much has been said on that platform," she said, adding that she's
hoping to fall "on the other side of it."

When asked if she talked to Chappelle since the drama with "The Closer,"
Sykes said she still "loves" him but hasn't seen him since the show was
released.

"I haven't had a chance to talk to him. If our paths did cross, I totally
would say something," she told Variety.

Sykes also said she takes it as a "compliment" when people call her a "woke"
comedian.

"It's pretty funny. If you want to give me the label of a 'woke comic,'
that's fine. That's great. What makes me laugh is that they say that like
it's an insult: 'Oh, they're woke.' Thank you!" she said.

[Obviously, the bitch never saw The Closer.]

--
Let's go Brandon!