Money will say more in one moment than the most eloquent lover can in years.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? May 29 2023 (Monday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? May 29 2023 (Monday)Dimensional Traveler
`* Re: What Did You Watch? May 29 2023 (Monday)anim8rfsk
 +* Re: What Did You Watch? May 29 2023 (Monday)shawn
 |`- Re: What Did You Watch? May 29 2023 (Monday)anim8rfsk
 `* Re: What Did You Watch? May 29 2023 (Monday)Arthur Lipscomb
  +* Re: What Did You Watch? May 29 2023 (Monday)Dimensional Traveler
  |`* Re: What Did You Watch? May 29 2023 (Monday)anim8rfsk
  | `* Re: What Did You Watch? May 29 2023 (Monday)Dimensional Traveler
  |  `- Re: What Did You Watch? May 29 2023 (Monday)anim8rfsk
  `* Re: What Did You Watch? May 29 2023 (Monday)anim8rfsk
   `* Re: What Did You Watch? May 29 2023 (Monday)Arthur Lipscomb
    `- Re: What Did You Watch? May 29 2023 (Monday)anim8rfsk

1
What Did You Watch? May 29 2023 (Monday)

<u5558k$219l0$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188017&group=rec.arts.tv#188017

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? May 29 2023 (Monday)
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 08:37:57 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 30 May 2023 15:37 UTC

Stargate: SG-1 S5E16 'Last Stand'
"At the Goa'uld summit, Daniel ensures Osiris does not recognize him by
administering the same drug he used on Yu. Despite Jacob Carter urging
to release the poison gas, Daniel is unable to do as he does not wish to
harm Osiris' host, his friend Sarah Gardner. Osiris claim a seat at the
negotiating table and tells the system lords that she is representing
another - Anubis, who hasn't been seen in over 1000 years and was
assumed dead. Daniel needs an escape plan of his own. At the Tok'ra base
O'Neill, Carter, Teal'c and Lt. Elliot - who is carrying Lantash's
symbiont - try to find a way out of the tunnel system."

Dr. Daniel Jackson: Yeah, you would think that a race smart enough to
fly around in space would be smart enough to have seat belts.
Jacob Carter: I just prefer not to crash.

Trivia: The shot of the System Lords biting into "live" Goa'uld
symbiotes was filmed by the actors biting into long burritos filled with
noodles, which were later turned into symbiotes by CGI.

Commentary: Director Martin Wood, writer and Exec Producer Robert Cooper
and, do I even need to say his name? The poison in this and the first
part ('Summit') is referred to as "The Nude Bomb" and Daniel's poisoned
ring is The Prick Ring. *eyeroll* They discuss how important mythology
from prior episodes is to this two-parter. Part of why the Tau'ri
allies get so decimated in season 5 is they weren't sure they were going
to get a sixth season so wanted to "wrap up" a number of storylines.

---------------------

Stargate: SG-1 S5E17 'Fail Safe'
"After an amateur astronomer discovers a 137 kms long asteroid on a path
to strike Earth, SG-1 is tasked to find a way to destroy it before it
hits in 11 days time. O'Neill seeks the assistance of the Asgard but the
protected planets treaty forbids intervening in the case of natural
disasters. They decide to try and change the asteroid's path using a
nuclear device but to get there in time, they will first have to repair
the Goa'uld cargo ship Daniel and Jacob Carter crashed on the Tok'ra
world. When they finally arrive at the asteroid the cargo ship
malfunctions and they realize that they've been had by the Goa'uld.
Carter comes up with a way to ensure the asteroid doesn't hit Earth but
it means they may not survive."

Sam Carter: [explaining the contents of the asteroid and how the bomb
will affect it] The explosion will be enhanced by the naquadah, probably
to the force of a small nova. This close to Earth, it would be enough to
set the atmosphere on fire and boil the oceans.
Jack O'Neill: Okay, this was not in the movie.

Jack O'Neill: ...And after that, I kind of lost my temper.
Major General George Hammond: What exactly does *that* mean?
Dr. Daniel Jackson: Let's just say Jack made a reference to Freyr's mother.

Dr. Daniel Jackson: Well, we have a couple of options. Number one, we
give up. We use what's left of power and life support to make it to the
nearest unoccupied gate world. There's a small chance we'd make it. From
there we head to the Alpha site.
Jack O'Neill: Number two?
Dr. Daniel Jackson: We take off and hope that our radio signal can be
picked up by the Asgard in time to inform them that this was a Goa'uld
attack disguised as a natural disaster.
Sam Carter: There isn't enough time for that.
Dr. Daniel Jackson: I know.
Jack O'Neill: Is... there a number three?
Sam Carter: There's no three.
Dr. Daniel Jackson: Well, maybe there is. Teal'c, you said naquadah
wasn't native to our solar system.
[Teal'c nods in acknowledgement]
Dr. Daniel Jackson: Which means that the Goa'uld must have towed it
through hyperspace by ship.
Teal'c: A mother ship.
Sam Carter: Daniel, that's it!
Jack O'Neill: What's it?
Dr. Daniel Jackson: We don't have a mother ship.
Sam Carter: But the effect only has to last a few seconds.
Jack O'Neill: What only has to last a few seconds? What?
Sam Carter: Choice three, sir. We expand the ship's hyperspace field to
encompass the entire asteroid. We take it out of normal space long
enough to avoid the collision with earth.
Jack O'Neill: [Long pause] Is there a *four*?

Trivia: When boarding the downed Al'kesh, Carter assigns priorities of
repair. One crewmen asked for "the bathroom" as that's his "priority".
Likely a nod to sci-fi (very) rarely featuring places for people to pee
on a ship or station. (Babylon 5 bucked this trend, as did Star Trek
Enterprise, sort of.)

Commentary: Andy Mikita (director), Paul Mullie (one of the writers),
James Menard (DP), and the guy who never dies, James Tichenor. He's as
hard to get rid of as 007.

-------------------------------

Stargate: SG-1 S5E16 'The Warrior'
"Teal'c's mentor Master Bra'tac asks General Hammond to support a
breakaway Jaffa, K'tano, who is rallying other Jaffa in the fight
against the Goa'uld. SG-1 departs with food and weapons for the rebels
but aren't exactly made to feel welcome by the arrogant K'tano whose
fanatical supporters are apparently ready to die at the slightest
command. Of greater concern to O'Neill and the others is Teal'c who
greatly admires K'tano and who they fear may not return to Earth with
them at the end of their mission. Teal'c agrees to lead a mission
against the Goa'uld but what he finds puts him at odds with K'tano."

Colonel Jack O'Neill: [introduces himself] Colonel Jack O'Neill.
K'tano: A familiar name, cursed by every Goa'uld. Imhotep himself
declared your days were numbered.
Colonel Jack O'Neill: Well, that's fine as long as it's a really big number.

K'tano: I honor he who would kill his god. And to his brethren of the
Tau'ri, slayers of Ra, Hathor, Setesh, Heru-ur, Sokar, Cronus and Apophis.
Colonel Jack O'Neill: Well... somebody's been keepin' score!

Colonel Jack O'Neill: All right, so let me see if I've got this
straight. You assassinate one System Lord after another, you take all
their ships and warriors, all of whom are willing to die for you, and
this is different than the way things are now... how?

Trivia: The fighting form Mustaba shown is actually the Brazilian
martial art Capoeira. Many of the people performing it are, in fact,
longtime practitioners of the art, and are even shown wearing the proper
uniform and corded belt consistent with the art.

Commentary: Peter DeLuise (director) and Don Shea (stunt
co-ordinator/Sgt. Siler). We start with an in-depth analysis of how
physically fit the "Free Jaffa" extras are.... O_o Oooookay. I
suppose that's better than an in-depth analysis of how to light a set.
But its followed by a discussion of the actor's underwear and lack
thereof. ..... And then it goes down hill as the personal habits of
cast and crew are discussed. I'm really hoping some of it was joking....

What Did You Watch?

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? May 29 2023 (Monday)

<400767661.707159120.105983.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188032&group=rec.arts.tv#188032

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? May 29 2023 (Monday)
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 10:21:51 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 30 May 2023 17:21 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> Stargate: SG-1 S5E16 'Last Stand'
> "At the Goa'uld summit, Daniel ensures Osiris does not recognize him by
> administering the same drug he used on Yu. Despite Jacob Carter urging
> to release the poison gas, Daniel is unable to do as he does not wish to
> harm Osiris' host, his friend Sarah Gardner.

THERE she is!

And what’s this “friends“ nonsense? They were… Dare I say it… Snuggle
bunnies!

Osiris claim a seat at the
> negotiating table and tells the system lords that she is representing
> another - Anubis, who hasn't been seen in over 1000 years and was
> assumed dead. Daniel needs an escape plan of his own. At the Tok'ra base
> O'Neill, Carter, Teal'c and Lt. Elliot - who is carrying Lantash's
> symbiont - try to find a way out of the tunnel system."
>
> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Yeah, you would think that a race smart enough to
> fly around in space would be smart enough to have seat belts.
> Jacob Carter: I just prefer not to crash.

They may have complete faith in their initial dampeners.

> Trivia: The shot of the System Lords biting into "live" Goa'uld
> symbiotes was filmed by the actors biting into long burritos filled with
> noodles, which were later turned into symbiotes by CGI.

Great. Now I’m hungry.

> Commentary: Director Martin Wood, writer and Exec Producer Robert Cooper
> and, do I even need to say his name? The poison in this and the first
> part ('Summit') is referred to as "The Nude Bomb" and Daniel's poisoned
> ring is The Prick Ring.

And Shanks is the guy who refuses to use a Zat because he thinks it looks
too much like a penis.

*eyeroll* They discuss how important mythology
> from prior episodes is to this two-parter. Part of why the Tau'ri
> allies get so decimated in season 5 is they weren't sure they were going
> to get a sixth season so wanted to "wrap up" a number of storylines.

Speaking of looking too much like a penis, I joined a STARGATE group on the
Facebook. There must’ve been a recent convention or something because
people are posting pictures they had taken with various cast members. Jack
looks old and unkempt. Sam looks great! Shanks is unrecognizable. And
apparently he and tealc hate each other. Browder has held up well.

> ---------------------
>
> Stargate: SG-1 S5E17 'Fail Safe'
> "After an amateur astronomer discovers a 137 kms long asteroid on a path
> to strike Earth, SG-1 is tasked to find a way to destroy it before it
> hits in 11 days time. O'Neill seeks the assistance of the Asgard but the
> protected planets treaty forbids intervening in the case of natural
> disasters. They decide to try and change the asteroid's path using a
> nuclear device but to get there in time, they will first have to repair
> the Goa'uld cargo ship Daniel and Jacob Carter crashed on the Tok'ra
> world. When they finally arrive at the asteroid the cargo ship
> malfunctions and they realize that they've been had by the Goa'uld.
> Carter comes up with a way to ensure the asteroid doesn't hit Earth but
> it means they may not survive."
>
> Sam Carter: [explaining the contents of the asteroid and how the bomb
> will affect it] The explosion will be enhanced by the naquadah, probably
> to the force of a small nova. This close to Earth, it would be enough to
> set the atmosphere on fire and boil the oceans.
> Jack O'Neill: Okay, this was not in the movie.

That movie apparently being EARTHSTORM!

> Jack O'Neill: ...And after that, I kind of lost my temper.
> Major General George Hammond: What exactly does *that* mean?
> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Let's just say Jack made a reference to Freyr's mother.
>
> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Well, we have a couple of options. Number one, we
> give up. We use what's left of power and life support to make it to the
> nearest unoccupied gate world. There's a small chance we'd make it. From
> there we head to the Alpha site.
> Jack O'Neill: Number two?
> Dr. Daniel Jackson: We take off and hope that our radio signal can be
> picked up by the Asgard in time to inform them that this was a Goa'uld
> attack disguised as a natural disaster.
> Sam Carter: There isn't enough time for that.
> Dr. Daniel Jackson: I know.
> Jack O'Neill: Is... there a number three?
> Sam Carter: There's no three.
> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Well, maybe there is. Teal'c, you said naquadah
> wasn't native to our solar system.
> [Teal'c nods in acknowledgement]
> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Which means that the Goa'uld must have towed it
> through hyperspace by ship.
> Teal'c: A mother ship.
> Sam Carter: Daniel, that's it!
> Jack O'Neill: What's it?
> Dr. Daniel Jackson: We don't have a mother ship.
> Sam Carter: But the effect only has to last a few seconds.
> Jack O'Neill: What only has to last a few seconds?

This is disturbing Lee similar to the solution when they had to toss the
Stargate into hyper space before it exploded.

What?
> Sam Carter: Choice three, sir. We expand the ship's hyperspace field to
> encompass the entire asteroid. We take it out of normal space long
> enough to avoid the collision with earth.
> Jack O'Neill: [Long pause] Is there a *four*?
>
> Trivia: When boarding the downed Al'kesh, Carter assigns priorities of
> repair. One crewmen asked for "the bathroom" as that's his "priority".
> Likely a nod to sci-fi (very) rarely featuring places for people to pee
> on a ship or station. (Babylon 5 bucked this trend, as did Star Trek
> Enterprise, sort of.)

So only terrible shows have bathrooms.

Re: What Did You Watch? May 29 2023 (Monday)

<elcc7i1eqblg57prdl6elf0focrsegu0eh@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188034&group=rec.arts.tv#188034

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 13:33:16 -0400
 by: shawn - Tue, 30 May 2023 17:33 UTC

On Tue, 30 May 2023 10:21:51 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>> Stargate: SG-1 S5E16 'Last Stand'
>> "At the Goa'uld summit, Daniel ensures Osiris does not recognize him by
>> administering the same drug he used on Yu. Despite Jacob Carter urging
>> to release the poison gas, Daniel is unable to do as he does not wish to
>> harm Osiris' host, his friend Sarah Gardner.
>
>THERE she is!
>
>And what’s this “friends“ nonsense? They were… Dare I say it… Snuggle
>bunnies!
>

>Osiris claim a seat at the
>> negotiating table and tells the system lords that she is representing
>> another - Anubis, who hasn't been seen in over 1000 years and was
>> assumed dead. Daniel needs an escape plan of his own. At the Tok'ra base
>> O'Neill, Carter, Teal'c and Lt. Elliot - who is carrying Lantash's
>> symbiont - try to find a way out of the tunnel system."
>>
>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Yeah, you would think that a race smart enough to
>> fly around in space would be smart enough to have seat belts.
>> Jacob Carter: I just prefer not to crash.
>
>They may have complete faith in their initial dampeners.
>

>> Trivia: The shot of the System Lords biting into "live" Goa'uld
>> symbiotes was filmed by the actors biting into long burritos filled with
>> noodles, which were later turned into symbiotes by CGI.
>
>Great. Now I’m hungry.

You eat noodle filled burritos all the time?

>> Commentary: Director Martin Wood, writer and Exec Producer Robert Cooper
>> and, do I even need to say his name? The poison in this and the first
>> part ('Summit') is referred to as "The Nude Bomb" and Daniel's poisoned
>> ring is The Prick Ring.
>
>And Shanks is the guy who refuses to use a Zat because he thinks it looks
>too much like a penis.
>

> *eyeroll* They discuss how important mythology
>> from prior episodes is to this two-parter. Part of why the Tau'ri
>> allies get so decimated in season 5 is they weren't sure they were going
>> to get a sixth season so wanted to "wrap up" a number of storylines.
>>

>Speaking of looking too much like a penis, I joined a STARGATE group on the
>Facebook. There must’ve been a recent convention or something because
>people are posting pictures they had taken with various cast members. Jack
>looks old and unkempt. Sam looks great! Shanks is unrecognizable. And
>apparently he and tealc hate each other. Browder has held up well.

What was said that makes you think Shanks and Tealc hate each other?

>> ---------------------
>>
>> Stargate: SG-1 S5E17 'Fail Safe'
>> "After an amateur astronomer discovers a 137 kms long asteroid on a path
>> to strike Earth, SG-1 is tasked to find a way to destroy it before it
>> hits in 11 days time. O'Neill seeks the assistance of the Asgard but the
>> protected planets treaty forbids intervening in the case of natural
>> disasters. They decide to try and change the asteroid's path using a
>> nuclear device but to get there in time, they will first have to repair
>> the Goa'uld cargo ship Daniel and Jacob Carter crashed on the Tok'ra
>> world. When they finally arrive at the asteroid the cargo ship
>> malfunctions and they realize that they've been had by the Goa'uld.
>> Carter comes up with a way to ensure the asteroid doesn't hit Earth but
>> it means they may not survive."
>>
>> Sam Carter: [explaining the contents of the asteroid and how the bomb
>> will affect it] The explosion will be enhanced by the naquadah, probably
>> to the force of a small nova. This close to Earth, it would be enough to
>> set the atmosphere on fire and boil the oceans.
>> Jack O'Neill: Okay, this was not in the movie.
>
>That movie apparently being EARTHSTORM!
>

>> Jack O'Neill: ...And after that, I kind of lost my temper.
>> Major General George Hammond: What exactly does *that* mean?
>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Let's just say Jack made a reference to Freyr's mother.
>>
>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Well, we have a couple of options. Number one, we
>> give up. We use what's left of power and life support to make it to the
>> nearest unoccupied gate world. There's a small chance we'd make it. From
>> there we head to the Alpha site.
>> Jack O'Neill: Number two?
>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: We take off and hope that our radio signal can be
>> picked up by the Asgard in time to inform them that this was a Goa'uld
>> attack disguised as a natural disaster.
>> Sam Carter: There isn't enough time for that.
>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: I know.
>> Jack O'Neill: Is... there a number three?
>> Sam Carter: There's no three.
>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Well, maybe there is. Teal'c, you said naquadah
>> wasn't native to our solar system.
>> [Teal'c nods in acknowledgement]
>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Which means that the Goa'uld must have towed it
>> through hyperspace by ship.
>> Teal'c: A mother ship.
>> Sam Carter: Daniel, that's it!
>> Jack O'Neill: What's it?
>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: We don't have a mother ship.
>> Sam Carter: But the effect only has to last a few seconds.
>> Jack O'Neill: What only has to last a few seconds?
>
>This is disturbing Lee similar to the solution when they had to toss the
>Stargate into hyper space before it exploded.

What did Lee do to earn being disturbed? Your spell checker is doing
some funky things.

> What?
>> Sam Carter: Choice three, sir. We expand the ship's hyperspace field to
>> encompass the entire asteroid. We take it out of normal space long
>> enough to avoid the collision with earth.
>> Jack O'Neill: [Long pause] Is there a *four*?
>>
>> Trivia: When boarding the downed Al'kesh, Carter assigns priorities of
>> repair. One crewmen asked for "the bathroom" as that's his "priority".
>> Likely a nod to sci-fi (very) rarely featuring places for people to pee
>> on a ship or station. (Babylon 5 bucked this trend, as did Star Trek
>> Enterprise, sort of.)
>
>So only great shows have bathrooms.

Those care enough to try to be somewhat realistic.

Re: What Did You Watch? May 29 2023 (Monday)

<u55gru$22oje$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188041&group=rec.arts.tv#188041

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 11:55:50 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Tue, 30 May 2023 18:55 UTC

On 5/30/2023 10:21 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>> Stargate: SG-1 S5E16 'Last Stand'
>> "At the Goa'uld summit, Daniel ensures Osiris does not recognize him by
>> administering the same drug he used on Yu. Despite Jacob Carter urging
>> to release the poison gas, Daniel is unable to do as he does not wish to
>> harm Osiris' host, his friend Sarah Gardner.
>
> THERE she is!
>
> And what’s this “friends“ nonsense? They were… Dare I say it… Snuggle
> bunnies!
>

> Osiris claim a seat at the
>> negotiating table and tells the system lords that she is representing
>> another - Anubis, who hasn't been seen in over 1000 years and was
>> assumed dead. Daniel needs an escape plan of his own. At the Tok'ra base
>> O'Neill, Carter, Teal'c and Lt. Elliot - who is carrying Lantash's
>> symbiont - try to find a way out of the tunnel system."
>>
>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Yeah, you would think that a race smart enough to
>> fly around in space would be smart enough to have seat belts.
>> Jacob Carter: I just prefer not to crash.
>
> They may have complete faith in their initial dampeners.
>

>> Trivia: The shot of the System Lords biting into "live" Goa'uld
>> symbiotes was filmed by the actors biting into long burritos filled with
>> noodles, which were later turned into symbiotes by CGI.
>
> Great. Now I’m hungry.
>

>> Commentary: Director Martin Wood, writer and Exec Producer Robert Cooper
>> and, do I even need to say his name?

Are the initials P.D.?

The poison in this and the first
>> part ('Summit') is referred to as "The Nude Bomb" and Daniel's poisoned
>> ring is The Prick Ring.
>
> And Shanks is the guy who refuses to use a Zat because he thinks it looks
> too much like a penis.
>

> *eyeroll* They discuss how important mythology
>> from prior episodes is to this two-parter. Part of why the Tau'ri
>> allies get so decimated in season 5 is they weren't sure they were going
>> to get a sixth season so wanted to "wrap up" a number of storylines.
>>

> Speaking of looking too much like a penis, I joined a STARGATE group on the
> Facebook. There must’ve been a recent convention or something because
> people are posting pictures they had taken with various cast members. Jack
> looks old and unkempt. Sam looks great! Shanks is unrecognizable. And
> apparently he and tealc hate each other.

Details?!?

Browder has held up well.

> [...]
>> Jack O'Neill: What's it?
>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: We don't have a mother ship.
>> Sam Carter: But the effect only has to last a few seconds.
>> Jack O'Neill: What only has to last a few seconds?
>
> This is disturbing Lee similar to the solution when they had to toss the
> Stargate into hyper space before it exploded.
>

> What?
>> Sam Carter: Choice three, sir. We expand the ship's hyperspace field to
>> encompass the entire asteroid. We take it out of normal space long
>> enough to avoid the collision with earth.
>> Jack O'Neill: [Long pause] Is there a *four*?
>>
>> Trivia: When boarding the downed Al'kesh, Carter assigns priorities of
>> repair. One crewmen asked for "the bathroom" as that's his "priority".
>> Likely a nod to sci-fi (very) rarely featuring places for people to pee
>> on a ship or station. (Babylon 5 bucked this trend, as did Star Trek

I watched:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (4K disc) 1977 sci-fi movie directed
by Steven Spielberg about a man (Richard Dreyfuss) who has a mental
breakdown after meeting an Extra-Terrestrial. The disc has 3 different
versions of the movie, and I had no idea which version to watch but
according to the internet The director's cut is the only version worth
watching so that's the version I watched.

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (4K disc) 1982 sci-fi movie directed by
Steven Spielberg about a boy (Henry Thomas) who has a Close Encounter of
the Third Kind. As far as I can tell the plot involves aliens sending a
military scout party to test out their biological weapons on a human
child. The evil alien tricks a group of gullible children into helping
it. The gullible kids actually believe these aliens "forgot" one of
their own when they left. What, these creatures can invent faster than
light travel, but they can't count? Fortunately, these hostile aliens
are chased off the planet by the U.S. government, but not before the
"forgotten" enemy scout can "phone home" and relay Earth's defensive
capabilities to the invasion force. This is one of the first movies I
remember going to see in the theater when I was a kid, and I remember
the creepy monster scared me. I still remember being scared to turn the
lights off for fear the monster would jump out of my closet and get me.
This horror film was *not* meant for children! I'll never understand
why it was marketed that way. I doubt there's a child alive who saw
this when it first came out and didn't have nightmares.

Cloak & Dagger (4K disc) 1984 spy movie starring Henry Thomas as a boy
who gets mixed up with real life murder and spies after his video game
turns out to contain a top-secret government plans. This was a
childhood favorite that never got a blu-ray release. I was shocked when
the 4K disc was announced. I watched with the commentary from writer
Tom Holland (Fright Night and Child's Play). It was an interesting
commentary, but a good chunk of it was spent discussing all the stuff
that was in the movie that wouldn't be in the movie if it was made
today. In particular, all the guns and danger the kids were put in.

West Side Story (4K disc) 2021 remake of the classic musical directed by
Steven Spielberg. Thanks to the magic of closed captions, for the first
time in over 30 years of watching this movie and listening to the
soundtrack, I now know that in the high school gym dance scene they are
in fact saying, "Mambo" and not "Rumble!" Blew my mind!!!!
I love the original version, it's one of my favorite movies. But upon
reflection and a second viewing, Spielberg's version is better. It just is.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? May 29 2023 (Monday)

<u55jf7$22vpc$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188045&group=rec.arts.tv#188045

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 12:40:25 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 30 May 2023 19:40 UTC

On 5/30/2023 11:55 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> On 5/30/2023 10:21 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>>> Stargate: SG-1 S5E16 'Last Stand'
>>> "At the Goa'uld summit, Daniel ensures Osiris does not recognize him by
>>> administering the same drug he used on Yu. Despite Jacob Carter urging
>>> to release the poison gas, Daniel is unable to do as he does not wish to
>>> harm Osiris' host, his friend Sarah Gardner.
>>
>> THERE she is!
>>
>> And what’s this “friends“ nonsense? They were… Dare I say it… Snuggle
>> bunnies!
>>

>> Osiris claim a seat at the
>>> negotiating table and tells the system lords that she is representing
>>> another - Anubis, who hasn't been seen in over 1000 years and was
>>> assumed dead. Daniel needs an escape plan of his own. At the Tok'ra base
>>> O'Neill, Carter, Teal'c and Lt. Elliot - who is carrying Lantash's
>>> symbiont - try to find a way out of the tunnel system."
>>>
>>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Yeah, you would think that a race smart enough to
>>> fly around in space would be smart enough to have seat belts.
>>> Jacob Carter: I just prefer not to crash.
>>
>> They may have complete faith in their initial dampeners.
>>

>>> Trivia: The shot of the System Lords biting into "live" Goa'uld
>>> symbiotes was filmed by the actors biting into long burritos filled with
>>> noodles, which were later turned into symbiotes by CGI.
>>
>> Great. Now I’m hungry.
>>

>>> Commentary: Director Martin Wood, writer and Exec Producer Robert Cooper
>>> and, do I even need to say his name?
>
> Are the initials P.D.?

James Tichenor.

> The poison in this and the first
>>> part ('Summit') is referred to as "The Nude Bomb" and Daniel's poisoned
>>> ring is The Prick Ring.
>>
>> And Shanks is the guy who refuses to use a Zat because he thinks it looks
>> too much like a penis.
>>

>>   *eyeroll*  They discuss how important mythology
>>> from prior episodes is to this two-parter.  Part of why the Tau'ri
>>> allies get so decimated in season 5 is they weren't sure they were going
>>> to get a sixth season so wanted to "wrap up" a number of storylines.
>>>

>> Speaking of looking too much like a penis, I joined a STARGATE group
>> on the
>> Facebook. There must’ve been a recent convention or something because
>> people are posting pictures they had taken with various cast members.
>> Jack
>> looks old and unkempt. Sam looks great! Shanks is unrecognizable. And
>> apparently he and tealc hate each other.
>
> Details?!?
>
>  Browder has held up well.
>>

>>> ---------------------
>>>
>>> Stargate: SG-1 S5E17 'Fail Safe'
>>> "After an amateur astronomer discovers a 137 kms long asteroid on a path
>>> to strike Earth, SG-1 is tasked to find a way to destroy it before it
>>> hits in 11 days time. O'Neill seeks the assistance of the Asgard but the
>>> protected planets treaty forbids intervening in the case of natural
>>> disasters. They decide to try and change the asteroid's path using a
>>> nuclear device but to get there in time, they will first have to repair
>>> the Goa'uld cargo ship Daniel and Jacob Carter crashed on the Tok'ra
>>> world. When they finally arrive at the asteroid the cargo ship
>>> malfunctions and they realize that they've been had by the Goa'uld.
>>> Carter comes up with a way to ensure the asteroid doesn't hit Earth but
>>> it means they may not survive."
>>>
>>> Sam Carter: [explaining the contents of the asteroid and how the bomb
>>> will affect it] The explosion will be enhanced by the naquadah, probably
>>> to the force of a small nova. This close to Earth, it would be enough to
>>> set the atmosphere on fire and boil the oceans.
>>> Jack O'Neill: Okay, this was not in the movie.
>>
>> That movie apparently being EARTHSTORM!

Armageddon.

> [...]
> movie to be very boring.  But the 3D sure looked nice.  It was reference
> quality.  A shame it wasn't in a better movie!
>

> American Born Chinese (Disney+) "What Guy Are You" and "A Monkey on a
> Quest" - I forgot to mention I watched the first episode the other day,
> then episode 2 last night.  This series (which shares a chunk of the
> same cast with "Everything Everywhere All at Once" is about a modern day
> high school kid who gets caught up in a power struggle being waged by
> supernatural beings.  First up the son of the Monkey King is hiding out
> on Earth pretending to be a human teenager and he befriends the lead
> character because he believes the human will help him on a quest.  So
> far the human kid doesn't know what's going on yet.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? May 29 2023 (Monday)

<1416312454.707195050.353715.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188118&group=rec.arts.tv#188118

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 21:15:59 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 31 May 2023 04:15 UTC

> On Tue, 30 May 2023 10:21:51 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>>> Stargate: SG-1 S5E16 'Last Stand'
>>> "At the Goa'uld summit, Daniel ensures Osiris does not recognize him by
>>> administering the same drug he used on Yu. Despite Jacob Carter urging
>>> to release the poison gas, Daniel is unable to do as he does not wish to
>>> harm Osiris' host, his friend Sarah Gardner.
>>
>> THERE she is!
>>
>> And what’s this “friends“ nonsense? They were… Dare I say it… Snuggle
>> bunnies!
>>

>> Osiris claim a seat at the
>>> negotiating table and tells the system lords that she is representing
>>> another - Anubis, who hasn't been seen in over 1000 years and was
>>> assumed dead. Daniel needs an escape plan of his own. At the Tok'ra base
>>> O'Neill, Carter, Teal'c and Lt. Elliot - who is carrying Lantash's
>>> symbiont - try to find a way out of the tunnel system."
>>>
>>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Yeah, you would think that a race smart enough to
>>> fly around in space would be smart enough to have seat belts.
>>> Jacob Carter: I just prefer not to crash.
>>
>> They may have complete faith in their initial dampeners.
>>

>>> Trivia: The shot of the System Lords biting into "live" Goa'uld
>>> symbiotes was filmed by the actors biting into long burritos filled with
>>> noodles, which were later turned into symbiotes by CGI.
>>
>> Great. Now I’m hungry.
>
> You eat noodle filled burritos all the time?

Wraps, certainly, from the Asian places. My favorite was the Fu Manchu.

>>> Commentary: Director Martin Wood, writer and Exec Producer Robert Cooper
>>> and, do I even need to say his name? The poison in this and the first
>>> part ('Summit') is referred to as "The Nude Bomb" and Daniel's poisoned
>>> ring is The Prick Ring.
>>
>> And Shanks is the guy who refuses to use a Zat because he thinks it looks
>> too much like a penis.
>>

>> *eyeroll* They discuss how important mythology
>>> from prior episodes is to this two-parter. Part of why the Tau'ri
>>> allies get so decimated in season 5 is they weren't sure they were going
>>> to get a sixth season so wanted to "wrap up" a number of storylines.
>>>

>> Speaking of looking too much like a penis, I joined a STARGATE group on the
>> Facebook. There must’ve been a recent convention or something because
>> people are posting pictures they had taken with various cast members. Jack
>> looks old and unkempt. Sam looks great! Shanks is unrecognizable. And
>> apparently he and tealc hate each other. Browder has held up well.
>
> What was said that makes you think Shanks and Tealc hate each other?

Somebody who is posting pictures of themselves with the various caps
members, said (mild paraphrasing.) “Apparently Shanks and Judge won’t have
anything to do with each other)”

>>> ---------------------
>>>
>>> Stargate: SG-1 S5E17 'Fail Safe'
>>> "After an amateur astronomer discovers a 137 kms long asteroid on a path
>>> to strike Earth, SG-1 is tasked to find a way to destroy it before it
>>> hits in 11 days time. O'Neill seeks the assistance of the Asgard but the
>>> protected planets treaty forbids intervening in the case of natural
>>> disasters. They decide to try and change the asteroid's path using a
>>> nuclear device but to get there in time, they will first have to repair
>>> the Goa'uld cargo ship Daniel and Jacob Carter crashed on the Tok'ra
>>> world. When they finally arrive at the asteroid the cargo ship
>>> malfunctions and they realize that they've been had by the Goa'uld.
>>> Carter comes up with a way to ensure the asteroid doesn't hit Earth but
>>> it means they may not survive."
>>>
>>> Sam Carter: [explaining the contents of the asteroid and how the bomb
>>> will affect it] The explosion will be enhanced by the naquadah, probably
>>> to the force of a small nova. This close to Earth, it would be enough to
>>> set the atmosphere on fire and boil the oceans.
>>> Jack O'Neill: Okay, this was not in the movie.
>>
>> That movie apparently being EARTHSTORM!
>>

>>> Jack O'Neill: ...And after that, I kind of lost my temper.
>>> Major General George Hammond: What exactly does *that* mean?
>>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Let's just say Jack made a reference to Freyr's mother.
>>>
>>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Well, we have a couple of options. Number one, we
>>> give up. We use what's left of power and life support to make it to the
>>> nearest unoccupied gate world. There's a small chance we'd make it. From
>>> there we head to the Alpha site.
>>> Jack O'Neill: Number two?
>>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: We take off and hope that our radio signal can be
>>> picked up by the Asgard in time to inform them that this was a Goa'uld
>>> attack disguised as a natural disaster.
>>> Sam Carter: There isn't enough time for that.
>>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: I know.
>>> Jack O'Neill: Is... there a number three?
>>> Sam Carter: There's no three.
>>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Well, maybe there is. Teal'c, you said naquadah
>>> wasn't native to our solar system.
>>> [Teal'c nods in acknowledgement]
>>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Which means that the Goa'uld must have towed it
>>> through hyperspace by ship.
>>> Teal'c: A mother ship.
>>> Sam Carter: Daniel, that's it!
>>> Jack O'Neill: What's it?
>>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: We don't have a mother ship.
>>> Sam Carter: But the effect only has to last a few seconds.
>>> Jack O'Neill: What only has to last a few seconds?
>>
>> This is disturbing Lee similar to the solution when they had to toss the
>> Stargate into hyper space before it exploded.
>
> What did Lee do to earn being disturbed? Your spell checker is doing
> some funky things.

Wasn’t it Dr. Lee that disrespected Sam after Jack and Mayborne
disappeared? I never understood why Teal’c didn’t go medieval on his ass.

I am thinking there must be a rapper somewhere named “disturbing Lee“

>> What?
>>> Sam Carter: Choice three, sir. We expand the ship's hyperspace field to
>>> encompass the entire asteroid. We take it out of normal space long
>>> enough to avoid the collision with earth.
>>> Jack O'Neill: [Long pause] Is there a *four*?
>>>
>>> Trivia: When boarding the downed Al'kesh, Carter assigns priorities of
>>> repair. One crewmen asked for "the bathroom" as that's his "priority".
>>> Likely a nod to sci-fi (very) rarely featuring places for people to pee
>>> on a ship or station. (Babylon 5 bucked this trend, as did Star Trek
>>> Enterprise, sort of.)
>>
>> So only great shows have bathrooms.
>

> Those care enough to try to be somewhat realistic.

Enterprise?!? Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Re: What Did You Watch? May 29 2023 (Monday)

<1254671030.707196516.631418.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188119&group=rec.arts.tv#188119

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 21:16:00 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 31 May 2023 04:16 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 5/30/2023 10:21 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>>> Stargate: SG-1 S5E16 'Last Stand'
>>> "At the Goa'uld summit, Daniel ensures Osiris does not recognize him by
>>> administering the same drug he used on Yu. Despite Jacob Carter urging
>>> to release the poison gas, Daniel is unable to do as he does not wish to
>>> harm Osiris' host, his friend Sarah Gardner.
>>
>> THERE she is!
>>
>> And what’s this “friends“ nonsense? They were… Dare I say it… Snuggle
>> bunnies!
>>

>> Osiris claim a seat at the
>>> negotiating table and tells the system lords that she is representing
>>> another - Anubis, who hasn't been seen in over 1000 years and was
>>> assumed dead. Daniel needs an escape plan of his own. At the Tok'ra base
>>> O'Neill, Carter, Teal'c and Lt. Elliot - who is carrying Lantash's
>>> symbiont - try to find a way out of the tunnel system."
>>>
>>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Yeah, you would think that a race smart enough to
>>> fly around in space would be smart enough to have seat belts.
>>> Jacob Carter: I just prefer not to crash.
>>
>> They may have complete faith in their initial dampeners.
>>

>>> Trivia: The shot of the System Lords biting into "live" Goa'uld
>>> symbiotes was filmed by the actors biting into long burritos filled with
>>> noodles, which were later turned into symbiotes by CGI.
>>
>> Great. Now I’m hungry.
>>

>>> Commentary: Director Martin Wood, writer and Exec Producer Robert Cooper
>>> and, do I even need to say his name?
>
> Are the initials P.D.?
>
> The poison in this and the first
>>> part ('Summit') is referred to as "The Nude Bomb" and Daniel's poisoned
>>> ring is The Prick Ring.
>>
>> And Shanks is the guy who refuses to use a Zat because he thinks it looks
>> too much like a penis.
>>

>> *eyeroll* They discuss how important mythology
>>> from prior episodes is to this two-parter. Part of why the Tau'ri
>>> allies get so decimated in season 5 is they weren't sure they were going
>>> to get a sixth season so wanted to "wrap up" a number of storylines.
>>>

>> Speaking of looking too much like a penis, I joined a STARGATE group on the
>> Facebook. There must’ve been a recent convention or something because
>> people are posting pictures they had taken with various cast members. Jack
>> looks old and unkempt. Sam looks great! Shanks is unrecognizable. And
>> apparently he and tealc hate each other.
>
> Details?!?

Facebook stargate group. Comment made on cast photos. I went back and tried
to find it but there are hundreds of comments on any photo people had taken
with the cast.

Here’s a link to a now and then photo.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10222017119045287&set=gm.10160930949933713&type=3&mibextid=S66gvF

I couldn’t find the photo with Sam and Jack and Ben Browder, which is the
one I think had the comment about Daniel and Teal’c.

> [...]
>>> enough to avoid the collision with earth.
>>> Jack O'Neill: [Long pause] Is there a *four*?
>>>
>>> Trivia: When boarding the downed Al'kesh, Carter assigns priorities of
>>> repair. One crewmen asked for "the bathroom" as that's his "priority".
>>> Likely a nod to sci-fi (very) rarely featuring places for people to pee
>>> on a ship or station. (Babylon 5 bucked this trend, as did Star Trek
>>> Enterprise, sort of.)
>>
>> So only terrible shows have bathrooms.
>>

> I watched:
>
> Close Encounters of the Third Kind (4K disc) 1977 sci-fi movie directed
> by Steven Spielberg about a man (Richard Dreyfuss) who has a mental
> breakdown after meeting an Extra-Terrestrial. The disc has 3 different
> versions of the movie, and I had no idea which version to watch but
> according to the internet The director's cut is the only version worth
> watching so that's the version I watched.

Oh dear. I love CE3K. But with the exception of a couple of added effects
shots, the Director‘s cut is an abomination. I think it got made while
Spielberg was getting divorced, and he went misogynistic on it.

> E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (4K disc) 1982 sci-fi movie directed by
> Steven Spielberg about a boy (Henry Thomas) who has a Close Encounter of
> the Third Kind. As far as I can tell the plot involves aliens sending a
> military scout party to test out their biological weapons on a human
> child. The evil alien tricks a group of gullible children into helping
> it. The gullible kids actually believe these aliens "forgot" one of
> their own when they left. What, these creatures can invent faster than
> light travel, but they can't count? Fortunately, these hostile aliens
> are chased off the planet by the U.S. government, but not before the
> "forgotten" enemy scout can "phone home" and relay Earth's defensive
> capabilities to the invasion force. This is one of the first movies I
> remember going to see in the theater when I was a kid, and I remember
> the creepy monster scared me. I still remember being scared to turn the
> lights off for fear the monster would jump out of my closet and get me.
> This horror film was *not* meant for children! I'll never understand
> why it was marketed that way. I doubt there's a child alive who saw
> this when it first came out and didn't have nightmares.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? May 29 2023 (Monday)

<1114071317.707197111.481693.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188120&group=rec.arts.tv#188120

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 21:16:01 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 31 May 2023 04:16 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 5/30/2023 11:55 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
>>>
>>> THERE she is!
>>>
>>> And what’s this “friends“ nonsense? They were… Dare I say it… Snuggle
>>> bunnies!
>>>

>>> Osiris claim a seat at the

>>> They may have complete faith in their initial dampeners.

>>> Great. Now I’m hungry.

>> Are the initials P.D.?
>>
> James Tichenor.
>
>> The poison in this and the first
>>>
>>> And Shanks is the guy who refuses to use a Zat because he thinks it looks
>>> too much like a penis.
>>>

>>>   *eyeroll*  They discuss how important mythology
>>>>

>>> Speaking of looking too much like a penis, I joined a STARGATE group
>>> on the
>>> Facebook. There must’ve been a recent convention or something because
>>> people are posting pictures they had taken with various cast members.
>>> Jack
>>> looks old and unkempt. Sam looks great! Shanks is unrecognizable. And
>>> apparently he and tealc hate each other.
>>
>> Details?!?
>>
>>  Browder has held up well.

>>> That movie apparently being EARTHSTORM!
>>>
> Armageddon.

It could have been the even worse movie, deep impact.

But seriously, the super gravity meteor is right from EARTHSTORM, where
they find out the moon is made of uranium.

> [...]
>> movie to be very boring.  But the 3D sure looked nice.  It was reference
>> quality.  A shame it wasn't in a better movie!
>>

>> American Born Chinese (Disney+) "What Guy Are You" and "A Monkey on a
>> Quest" - I forgot to mention I watched the first episode the other day,
>> then episode 2 last night.  This series (which shares a chunk of the
>> same cast with "Everything Everywhere All at Once" is about a modern day
>> high school kid who gets caught up in a power struggle being waged by
>> supernatural beings.  First up the son of the Monkey King is hiding out
>> on Earth pretending to be a human teenager and he befriends the lead
>> character because he believes the human will help him on a quest.  So
>> far the human kid doesn't know what's going on yet.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? May 29 2023 (Monday)

<u56iar$2a5nt$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188126&group=rec.arts.tv#188126

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 21:27:07 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 31 May 2023 04:27 UTC

On 5/30/2023 9:16 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Are the initials P.D.?
>>>
>> James Tichenor.
>>
>>> The poison in this and the first

>>> Details?!?
>>>
>>>  Browder has held up well.

>> Armageddon.
>
> It could have been the even worse movie, deep impact.
>
> But seriously, the super gravity meteor is right from EARTHSTORM, where
> they find out the moon is made of uranium.

They actually said it was Armageddon in the commentary.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? May 29 2023 (Monday)

<400119603.707209115.836294.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188135&group=rec.arts.tv#188135

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 00:12:46 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 31 May 2023 07:12 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 5/30/2023 9:16 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> James Tichenor.

>>> Armageddon.
>>
>> It could have been the even worse movie, deep impact.
>>
>> But seriously, the super gravity meteor is right from EARTHSTORM, where
>> they find out the moon is made of uranium.
>>
> They actually said it was Armageddon in the commentary.

And I am giving you this one, because after checking my fax, I find that
“failsafe“ preceded “Earthstorm“.

Beep beep beep beep beep.

(that’s me checking my fax)

Bringing us to the next question. Why is it called “failsafe“?

Re: What Did You Watch? May 29 2023 (Monday)

<u5c0cb$33ldq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188365&group=rec.arts.tv#188365

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 22:57:23 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 05:57 UTC

On 5/30/2023 9:16 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> THERE she is!
>>>
>>> And what’s this “friends“ nonsense? They were… Dare I say it… Snuggle
>>> bunnies!
>>>

>>> Osiris claim a seat at the

>>> They may have complete faith in their initial dampeners.

>>> Great. Now I’m hungry.

>> Are the initials P.D.?
>>
>> The poison in this and the first
>>>
>>> And Shanks is the guy who refuses to use a Zat because he thinks it looks
>>> too much like a penis.
>>>

>>> *eyeroll* They discuss how important mythology
>>>>

>>> Speaking of looking too much like a penis, I joined a STARGATE group on the
>>> Facebook. There must’ve been a recent convention or something because
>>> people are posting pictures they had taken with various cast members. Jack
>>> looks old and unkempt. Sam looks great! Shanks is unrecognizable. And
>>> apparently he and tealc hate each other.
>>
>> Details?!?
>
> Facebook stargate group. Comment made on cast photos. I went back and tried
> to find it but there are hundreds of comments on any photo people had taken
> with the cast.
>
> Here’s a link to a now and then photo.
>
> https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10222017119045287&set=gm.10160930949933713&type=3&mibextid=S66gvF
>
> I couldn’t find the photo with Sam and Jack and Ben Browder, which is the
> one I think had the comment about Daniel and Teal’c.
>

>> Browder has held up well.

Not as well as Amanda Tapping!

>>> That movie apparently being EARTHSTORM!

>>> This is disturbing Lee similar to the solution when they had to toss the
>>> Stargate into hyper space before it exploded.
>>>

>>> What?

>>> So only terrible shows have bathrooms.
>>>

>> I watched:
>>
>> Close Encounters of the Third Kind (4K disc) 1977 sci-fi movie directed
>> by Steven Spielberg about a man (Richard Dreyfuss) who has a mental
>> breakdown after meeting an Extra-Terrestrial. The disc has 3 different
>> versions of the movie, and I had no idea which version to watch but
>> according to the internet The director's cut is the only version worth
>> watching so that's the version I watched.
>
> Oh dear. I love CE3K. But with the exception of a couple of added effects
> shots, the Director‘s cut is an abomination. I think it got made while
> Spielberg was getting divorced, and he went misogynistic on it.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? May 29 2023 (Monday)

<2029310753.707464853.000850.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188467&group=rec.arts.tv#188467

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 23:19:10 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 06:19 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 5/30/2023 9:16 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> Are the initials P.D.?
>>>
>>> The poison in this and the first

>>> Details?!?
>>
>> Facebook stargate group.

On which extreme wackiness is now currently ensuing.

Comment made on cast photos. I went back and tried
>> to find it but there are hundreds of comments on any photo people had taken
>> with the cast.
>>
>> Here’s a link to a now and then photo.
>>
>> https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10222017119045287&set=gm.10160930949933713&type=3&mibextid=S66gvF
>>
>> I couldn’t find the photo with Sam and Jack and Ben Browder, which is the
>> one I think had the comment about Daniel and Teal’c.
>>

>>> Browder has held up well.
>>>>

> Not as well as Amanda Tapping!

She looks better than she did in Stargate Atlantis SGAT.

>>> I watched:
>>>
>>> Close Encounters of the Third Kind (4K disc) 1977 sci-fi movie directed
>>> by Steven Spielberg about a man (Richard Dreyfuss) who has a mental
>>> breakdown after meeting an Extra-Terrestrial. The disc has 3 different
>>> versions of the movie, and I had no idea which version to watch but
>>> according to the internet The director's cut is the only version worth
>>> watching so that's the version I watched.
>>
>> Oh dear. I love CE3K. But with the exception of a couple of added effects
>> shots, the Director‘s cut is an abomination. I think it got made while
>> Spielberg was getting divorced, and he went misogynistic on it.
>>

> But the internet said! Are you telling me the internet lied?

Since the moment Al Gore invented it

I guess
> an alternate version might explain the movie's popularity, because I
> really wasn't feeling the director's cut. Although I've never been much
> of a fan of the movie to begin with.
>

> Does one of the other cuts explain *why* Dreyfus and the other people
> became obsessed? Or why the kid (and others) were targeted for abductions?

Boy, howdy, it’s been 46 years since I took the second greatest love of my
life to the Thomas Mall theater and delicatessen that night…

Anyway… The main things the special edition adds are the shot of the boat
stranded in the desert and the scenes inside the mothership at the end that
everyone hates.

The main things the special edition loses, are Dreyfus going crazy step by
step, and Teri Garr, sticking with him until the breaking point. In the
theatrical version, Garr is a great character and Dreyfus gives up a great
family to pursue his obsession. In the special edition Garr gives up on him
almost instantly, and Dreyfuss loses nothing to follow his obsession. I
think that’s the difference between Spielberg being happily married when he
made the original and moving on to the next wife when he made the
revisions.

But no, I don’t believe anything we saw on screen explains why these people
were chosen or reacted the way they did.