Time to take stock. Go home with some office supplies.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Lawyer apologizes for fake court citations from ChatGPT

SubjectAuthor
* Lawyer apologizes for fake court citations from ChatGPTAdam H. Kerman
+* Re: Lawyer apologizes for fake court citations from ChatGPTBTR1701
|`- Re: Lawyer apologizes for fake court citations from ChatGPTFPP
`- Re: Lawyer apologizes for fake court citations from ChatGPTRhino

1
Lawyer apologizes for fake court citations from ChatGPT

<u52plj$1ic1p$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187889&group=rec.arts.tv#187889

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Lawyer apologizes for fake court citations from ChatGPT
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 18:07:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 29 May 2023 18:07 UTC

Lawyer apologizes for fake court citations from ChatGPT
By Ramishah Maruf
CNN
Updated 3:28 PM EDT, Sun May 28, 2023
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/27/business/chat-gpt-avianca-mata-lawyers/

This is the first guy who got caught. How many other fake citations have
gotten into a brief that the judge failed to notice?

The order of the court is here.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.nysd.575368/gov.uscourts.nysd.575368.31.0.pdf

Re: Lawyer apologizes for fake court citations from ChatGPT

<atropos-E4E7A4.11235229052023@ec2-18-102-80-69.eu-south-1.compute.amazonaws.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187892&group=rec.arts.tv#187892

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 11:23:52 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 29 May 2023 18:23 UTC

In article <u52plj$1ic1p$3@dont-email.me>,
"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> Lawyer apologizes for fake court citations from ChatGPT
> By Ramishah Maruf
> CNN
> Updated 3:28 PM EDT, Sun May 28, 2023
> https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/27/business/chat-gpt-avianca-mata-lawyers/
>
> This is the first guy who got caught. How many other fake citations have
> gotten into a brief that the judge failed to notice?

Those AIs just make up stuff if they need to in order to follow their
programming.

I posted last month about how ChatGPT was making up false 'facts' about
Muslim persecution in support of a 'essay' on Islamophobia.

Re: Lawyer apologizes for fake court citations from ChatGPT

<u535h5$1l436$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=187912&group=rec.arts.tv#187912

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 17:30:09 -0400
 by: Rhino - Mon, 29 May 2023 21:30 UTC

On 2023-05-29 2:07 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Lawyer apologizes for fake court citations from ChatGPT
> By Ramishah Maruf
> CNN
> Updated 3:28 PM EDT, Sun May 28, 2023
> https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/27/business/chat-gpt-avianca-mata-lawyers/
>
> This is the first guy who got caught. How many other fake citations have
> gotten into a brief that the judge failed to notice?
>
> The order of the court is here.
>
> https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.nysd.575368/gov.uscourts.nysd.575368.31.0.pdf

Is it *anybody's* job to verify that citations in documents are legit?
If not, it should be!

I would have thought someone in the justice system, either opposing
counsel or the judge or his/her staff would routinely verify that all
citations are real and at least arguably on point but maybe that's
naive; perhaps in the real world, lawyers are simply assumed to be
honest with their citations and bogus ones almost never get noticed....

For what it's worth, it was obvious to me that ChatGPT was not reliable
several weeks back when BTR posted assertions by ChatGPT that "people of
colour" had no need to do anything any differently but white people
needed a major attitude adjustment. Then, a few weeks after that, I saw
a ChatGPT presentation via Meetup about using it to write programs.
ChatGPT did some remarkable work that I wouldn't have thought AI could
do but it also bullshitted a time or two. The presenter, who had used it
extensively for at least a few weeks, pointed out that it was a liar
about some things, without going into detail. I've known the presenter
for several years now and know him to be honest and accurate.

Bottom line: treat ChatGPT the way Reagan treated peace talks with
Gorbachev - "Trust but verify!"

Re: Lawyer apologizes for fake court citations from ChatGPT

<u5613n$24o2q$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188079&group=rec.arts.tv#188079

From: fredp1...@gmail.com (FPP)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 19:33:11 -0400
 by: FPP - Tue, 30 May 2023 23:33 UTC

On 5/29/23 2:23 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <u52plj$1ic1p$3@dont-email.me>,
> "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>> Lawyer apologizes for fake court citations from ChatGPT
>> By Ramishah Maruf
>> CNN
>> Updated 3:28 PM EDT, Sun May 28, 2023
>> https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/27/business/chat-gpt-avianca-mata-lawyers/
>>
>> This is the first guy who got caught. How many other fake citations have
>> gotten into a brief that the judge failed to notice?
>
> Those AIs just make up stuff if they need to in order to follow their
> programming.

Kinda like Trump supporters...

--
"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a man’s mind." - OC
Bible 25B.G.

Gracie, age 6.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0es3xolxka455iw/BetterThingsToDo.jpg?dl=0