I would like to know What I was fencing in And what I was fencing out. -- Robert Frost

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: New surveillance encouraged, aftermath of Highland Park massacre

SubjectAuthor
* New surveillance encouraged, aftermath of Highland Park massacreAdam H. Kerman
+* Re: New surveillance encouraged, aftermath of Highland Park massacreBTR1701
|`- Re: New surveillance encouraged, aftermath of Highland Park massacreAdam H. Kerman
`- Re: New surveillance encouraged, aftermath of Highland Park massacreanim8rfsk

1
New surveillance encouraged, aftermath of Highland Park massacre

<u55vtd$24lk6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188076&group=rec.arts.tv#188076

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: New surveillance encouraged, aftermath of Highland Park massacre
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 23:12:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 30 May 2023 23:12 UTC

The massacre at the Highland Park Fourth of July parade happened close
to a year ago, July 4, 2022. 7 dead, around 50 wounded

A state senator from a nearby community who was there decided that the
real problem is society doesn't have enough police surveillance. She
passed a bill authorizing police to use drones to survey large crowds at
public events.

The articles haven't said anything, but you know this is going to come
with facial recognition technology. Might as well live in China.

Police have wanted this authorization for years because whether they
could surveil large crowds in public spaces without violating civil
rights has been a concern.

As drones provide a wide field of vision, this will involve surveiling
not just the crowds in public spaces but whatever can be seen looking
down upon adjacent private spaces too. The shooter's sniper's nest was
on top of a private two-story building; he'd gained access to the roof
from a built-in ladder.

One has now lost privacy from police upon private property. But that's
ok. It's in our interest and will protect our safety.

Police never act against the public interest.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/politics/ct-drone-bill-special-events-20230529-smira7t5rzbydijsbg5t3faqjy-story.html

On an unrelated matter, a study of how ordinary traffic stops lead to
disproportionate stops of black motorists leading to vehicle searches
and arrests was recently published. It's predictable that the stop will
escalate depending on the police officer's words, if they are an order
or an explanation for why the motorist was stopped.

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2216162120
https://www.npr.org/2023/05/29/1178279383/for-black-drivers-a-police-officers-first-45-words-are-a-portent-of-whats-to-com

Re: New surveillance encouraged, aftermath of Highland Park massacre

<atropos-C25A4D.16414830052023@news.giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188082&group=rec.arts.tv#188082

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 16:41:48 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Tue, 30 May 2023 23:41 UTC

In article <u55vtd$24lk6$1@dont-email.me>,
"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> The massacre at the Highland Park Fourth of July parade happened close
> to a year ago, July 4, 2022. 7 dead, around 50 wounded
>
> A state senator from a nearby community who was there decided that the
> real problem is society doesn't have enough police surveillance. She
> passed a bill authorizing police to use drones to survey large crowds at
> public events.
>
> The articles haven't said anything, but you know this is going to come
> with facial recognition technology. Might as well live in China.
>
> Police have wanted this authorization for years because whether they
> could surveil large crowds in public spaces without violating civil
> rights has been a concern.
>
> As drones provide a wide field of vision, this will involve surveiling
> not just the crowds in public spaces but whatever can be seen looking
> down upon adjacent private spaces too. The shooter's sniper's nest was
> on top of a private two-story building; he'd gained access to the roof
> from a built-in ladder.
>
> One has now lost privacy from police upon private property. But that's
> ok. It's in our interest and will protect our safety.

Well, if my nextdoor neighbor can legally fly a drone that looks down on
my private yard despite my fences and shrubbery, then I don't see how
this is taking away any privacy interest we haven't already lost.

Re: New surveillance encouraged, aftermath of Highland Park massacre

<u56353$24vj5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188093&group=rec.arts.tv#188093

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 00:08:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 31 May 2023 00:08 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>The massacre at the Highland Park Fourth of July parade happened close
>>to a year ago, July 4, 2022. 7 dead, around 50 wounded

>>A state senator from a nearby community who was there decided that the
>>real problem is society doesn't have enough police surveillance. She
>>passed a bill authorizing police to use drones to survey large crowds at
>>public events.

>>The articles haven't said anything, but you know this is going to come
>>with facial recognition technology. Might as well live in China.

>>Police have wanted this authorization for years because whether they
>>could surveil large crowds in public spaces without violating civil
>>rights has been a concern.

>>As drones provide a wide field of vision, this will involve surveiling
>>not just the crowds in public spaces but whatever can be seen looking
>>down upon adjacent private spaces too. The shooter's sniper's nest was
>>on top of a private two-story building; he'd gained access to the roof
>>from a built-in ladder.

>>One has now lost privacy from police upon private property. But that's
>>ok. It's in our interest and will protect our safety.

>Well, if my nextdoor neighbor can legally fly a drone that looks down on
>my private yard despite my fences and shrubbery, then I don't see how
>this is taking away any privacy interest we haven't already lost.

Your neighbor could contribute the time-stamped images to a massive
database upon which facial recognition has been run tha gets reviewed
by A.I. for possible crimes being committed within the field of vision.
There are all sorts of ways it can be worse.

Drone surveillance means you no longer have privacy in your own yard,
the Fourth Amendment be damned.

On the other extreme, we trust cops not to surveil the public way not
looking for crime but for downblouse shots of nubile teens.

Re: New surveillance encouraged, aftermath of Highland Park massacre

<1487875046.707194668.733093.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188117&group=rec.arts.tv#188117

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 21:15:58 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 31 May 2023 04:15 UTC

RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 30 May 2023 at 19:12:50 UTC-4, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>
> Copseyes
> A small floating "eye-in-the-sky" surveillance drone used by police in
> an extensive park.

Larry Niven “cloak of anarchy“