From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: William Fichtner "My Worst Moment"
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 02:24:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 31 May 2023 02:24 UTC

Chicago Tribune has had an amusing long-running series in which movie,
tv, and theater actors are interviewed, and encouraged to tell
embarassing stories about themselves.

William Fichtner is absolutely hysterical talking about having to do a
very difficult horse-riding stunt in the Johnny Depp-Armie Hammer horror
The Lone Ranger (2013), in which he must leap from a moving train onto a
saddled horse.

Fichtner was not a stuntman and hadn't ridden a horse at all in 37
years. But the director demanded "realism".

I love movie stunts, and it doesn't bother me in the least that a
professional stuntman and not the actor is performing the stunt. I can
suspend disbelief. The cutaways have never interfered with my enjoyment
of the movie. I just want to see the stunt and hope no one was hurt, but
that's not going to be the case when they make the actor perform it.

It's worth reading; turn off javascript.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/what-to-watch/ct-ent-my-worst-william-fichtner-20230530-ie6qbj6prrb3nj5du6hq373l5i-story.html

Re: William Fichtner "My Worst Moment"

<1505618298.707209875.718721.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188139&group=rec.arts.tv#188139

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: William Fichtner "My Worst Moment"
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 00:12:49 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 31 May 2023 07:12 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> Chicago Tribune has had an amusing long-running series in which movie,
> tv, and theater actors are interviewed, and encouraged to tell
> embarassing stories about themselves.
>
> William Fichtner is absolutely hysterical talking about having to do a
> very difficult horse-riding stunt in the Johnny Depp-Armie Hammer horror

“Arnie hammer horror” – I love it

> The Lone Ranger (2013), in which he must leap from a moving train onto a
> saddled horse.
>
> Fichtner was not a stuntman and hadn't ridden a horse at all in 37
> years. But the director demanded "realism".
>
> I love movie stunts, and it doesn't bother me in the least that a
> professional stuntman and not the actor is performing the stunt. I can
> suspend disbelief. The cutaways have never interfered with my enjoyment
> of the movie. I just want to see the stunt and hope no one was hurt, but
> that's not going to be the case when they make the actor perform it.
>
> It's worth reading; turn off javascript.
>
> https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/what-to-watch/ct-ent-my-worst-william-fichtner-20230530-ie6qbj6prrb3nj5du6hq373l5i-story.html

Can’t be done.

Re: William Fichtner "My Worst Moment"

<u57reu$2elp2$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188177&group=rec.arts.tv#188177

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 16:09:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 31 May 2023 16:09 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>Chicago Tribune has had an amusing long-running series in which movie,
>>tv, and theater actors are interviewed, and encouraged to tell
>>embarassing stories about themselves.

>>William Fichtner is absolutely hysterical talking about having to do a
>>very difficult horse-riding stunt in the Johnny Depp-Armie Hammer horror

>"Arnie hammer horror" - I love it

Heh. Hadn't occurred to me, I swear.

>>The Lone Ranger (2013), in which he must leap from a moving train onto a
>>saddled horse.

>>Fichtner was not a stuntman and hadn't ridden a horse at all in 37
>>years. But the director demanded "realism".

>>I love movie stunts, and it doesn't bother me in the least that a
>>professional stuntman and not the actor is performing the stunt. I can
>>suspend disbelief. The cutaways have never interfered with my enjoyment
>>of the movie. I just want to see the stunt and hope no one was hurt, but
>>that's not going to be the case when they make the actor perform it.

>>It's worth reading; turn off javascript.

>>https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/what-to-watch/ct-ent-my-worst-william-fichtner-20230530-ie6qbj6prrb3nj5du6hq373l5i-story.html

>Can't be done.

Sigh

My worst moment: William Fichtner didn't know how to ride a horse. Then
he was asked to do a horse-riding stunt.
By Nina Metz
Chicago Tribune
May 30, 2023 at 5:30 am

In the thriller "Hypnotic" from writer-director Robert Rodriguez,
William Fichtner plays a man who uses high-tech mind control for
nefarious purposes and Ben Affleck plays the cop who must stop him.

"I've turned down plenty of bad guy roles in my life, even when I needed
to work," said Fichtner. "I can't find some redeeming quality --
something that drives the character -- then I don't know what to play.
And I found so many layers with this guy. You gotta find that thing that
the character cares about, and if you find that, you can make him a real
person, whether we like him or not. I like to joke that if you're an
actor and you try to make interesting choices and you have cheekbones?
You kill people. That's all there is to it. But I've done just as many
comedies as dramas."

That includes several seasons on the sitcom "Mom." His credits also
include "Armageddon," "Black Hawk Down," "The Perfect Storm" and more
recently the ABC heist series "The Company You Keep."

When asked about a worst moment in his career, Fichtner replied: "I
looked up my bio and I went through every movie and, I kid you not, I
don't know if I have a cringey moment outside of being on set for a week
and calling the director 'Pete' and I find out his name is Robert. So I
was racking my brain. And I have had moments where I'm like, 'Ugh, you
gotta be kidding me' and then you have to find your way through it. So
I'm gonna tell you about one of those.

"It's a story that really stopped me in my tracks and silently inside I
thought: How am I going to do this?"

My worst moment ...

"This was about 10 years ago. I was taking my wife skiing with the boys,
and my agent called and said, 'Listen, you're going to get a call in an
hour because I'm pretty sure you're going to get an offer to play Butch
Cavendish, the gunslinger in 'The Lone Ranger.' And it's a Jerry
Bruckheimer film, I've worked with Jerry, like, five times. I don't say
no to Jerry, I don't care what it is, he's such a gentleman. So I'm
like, 'You got it.'

"I get to Albuquerque 48 hours later and Tommy Harper, the stunt
coordinator, picks me up at the airport and he says, 'All right, I have
a question for you: How's your horseback riding?' And my heart sank. I'm
like, 'Uh, 37 years ago I rode a horse for 12 minutes and swore I'd
never do it again.' And he's like, 'Oh, that's interesting. Because the
one thing (director) Gore Verbinski wants you to do in this film -- and
it's on the schedule for three months from now -- not only does he want
you to ride a horse, but he wants you to jump out of a moving train onto
a horse. And they don't want to use a stunt guy because of the way
they're going to shoot it.'

"He's telling me all this while I'm waiting for my luggage.

"He said, 'We've built our own railroad out in the prairie. We have 11
miles of track. We've flown in the old train cars. And your gang is
going to ride up on the outside of the moving train, they're going to
open up the door and unchain you and then you're going to aim your guns
at Tonto and the Lone Ranger and then the horse nearest to the train is
going to have an empty saddle. The train is going to be going 18 miles
an hour, so the horses are going at a full gallop. And Gore wants you to
give this whole speech, tip your hat and then turn around, jump off the
moving train onto that horse with the empty saddle and then ride away.'

"I'm a team player. So I'm like, 'Heh, sure.' And he's like, 'Instead of
going to meet Gore, why don't we go right to our cowboy camp?' I'm just
terrified. I had three months to prepare for this.

"So we started working on the stunt with a flatbed truck that wasn't
moving, and jumping from the truck to the saddle. A week later we take
it up to three miles an hour. A week later we take it up to six miles an
hour. And we kept doing that until we got it up to 18 miles an hour. And
your aim has to be perfect, but I remember one of the guys said to me,
'Bill, I promise you, you won't hit the ground -- I'll grab hold of
you.'

"So we're practicing and I'm in the high 90 percentile making it into
the saddle. But on the day, it's not just the jump. I have a whole
speech I have to do and these busted up teeth in my mouth (that are part
of the costume). And the idea is that I never look back over my
shoulder. They want me to just turn and almost blindly jump straight
out. I will literally see the saddle when I'm in the air.

"The reason Gore wanted to do it that way was because, when you cut
away, everybody knows that's the magic of movies. But he didn't want to
cut away. He wanted the camera behind Tonto and the Lone Ranger, so it
was watching me jump. The whole time the camera would see the horse out
there galloping with the empty saddle, and then I turn and jump and it's
like, 'Wait a minute, did he just do that?'

"So it was time to go. And I remember the first AD shouted out, 'All
right, the train's going 20 miles an hour,' and I thought, 'You always
told me 18!'

"I do the first take, I deliver my monologue, I turn around, jumped out
and landed in the saddle.

"On film sets, they say 'check the gate' which means check to make sure
the last image is clean, there's nothing in there ruining the image,
especially because we're shooting in dust and debris. And this was the
only time I remember on the entire shoot where they were like, 'Gate's
no good.' Something got in the lens.

"And I'm like, oh my god, you gotta be kidding me. So I do it again, and
this time the horse ever-so-slightly slowed down and I missed the front
of the saddle. So I landed just in front of it on the horse's neck, and
that guy I told you about reached out and grabbed my jacket right
between the shoulder blades with those big hands and he said, 'You're
not going anywhere.' But that meant we had to do it again.

"I was always hoping this was a one-take wonder and here we are, take
three. By the way, it isn't easy to reset for a scene like this. To slow
the train down all the way probably takes a mile. And then you have to
back it all the way up. There's a lot involved.

"So here we go. Take three. And I'm thinking, oh please land in that
saddle because this monologue is feeling pretty good. And I turn, I jump
and I hit the saddle! Boom, cut, check the gate. The gate's good! And
away I went.

"And (let's out a sigh) I was so happy that it worked.

"After that movie, everyone was like, man, you're a horse rider now --
but I've never ridden one since (laughs). That's the moral of that
story."

The takeaway ...

"I was happy for me, but I was really happy for Gore. This was a shot
that he had imagined long before they even started shooting the film.
He's such a visual guy and he had a storyboard and he explained to me,
'This is how I want it to look, this is how I want the shot to be.' And
we all worked hard and he got his shot.

"I walked away thinking: I did it.

"I did that."

Re: William Fichtner "My Worst Moment"

<298757913.707262780.963220.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188210&group=rec.arts.tv#188210

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 15:25:09 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 31 May 2023 22:25 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>>> Chicago Tribune has had an amusing long-running series in which movie,
>>> tv, and theater actors are interviewed, and encouraged to tell
>>> embarassing stories about themselves.
>
>>> William Fichtner is absolutely hysterical talking about having to do a
>>> very difficult horse-riding stunt in the Johnny Depp-Armie Hammer horror
>
>> "Arnie hammer horror" - I love it
>
> Heh. Hadn't occurred to me, I swear.
>
>>> The Lone Ranger (2013), in which he must leap from a moving train onto a
>>> saddled horse.
>
>>> Fichtner was not a stuntman and hadn't ridden a horse at all in 37
>>> years. But the director demanded "realism".
>
>>> I love movie stunts, and it doesn't bother me in the least that a
>>> professional stuntman and not the actor is performing the stunt. I can
>>> suspend disbelief. The cutaways have never interfered with my enjoyment
>>> of the movie. I just want to see the stunt and hope no one was hurt, but
>>> that's not going to be the case when they make the actor perform it.
>
>>> It's worth reading; turn off javascript.
>
>>> https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/what-to-watch/ct-ent-my-worst-william-fichtner-20230530-ie6qbj6prrb3nj5du6hq373l5i-story.html
>
>> Can't be done.
>
> Sigh

Thank you. All I got was a page saying I had to pay to read this article
because it’s special content for subscribers only.

> [...]
> back it all the way up. There's a lot involved.
>
> "So here we go. Take three. And I'm thinking, oh please land in that
> saddle because this monologue is feeling pretty good. And I turn, I jump
> and I hit the saddle! Boom, cut, check the gate. The gate's good! And
> away I went.
>
> "And (let's out a sigh) I was so happy that it worked.
>
> "After that movie, everyone was like, man, you're a horse rider now --
> but I've never ridden one since (laughs). That's the moral of that
> story."
>
> The takeaway ...
>
> "I was happy for me, but I was really happy for Gore. This was a shot
> that he had imagined long before they even started shooting the film.
> He's such a visual guy and he had a storyboard and he explained to me,
> 'This is how I want it to look, this is how I want the shot to be.' And

Click here to read the complete article