It is the business of the future to be dangerous. -- Hawkwind

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: [OT] Identity quotas in Canadian media

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] Identity quotas in Canadian mediaRhino2
`- Re: [OT] Identity quotas in Canadian mediaBTR1701

1
[OT] Identity quotas in Canadian media

<2730878a-7d76-4f49-b7f7-e575160778d4n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188284&group=rec.arts.tv#188284

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 06:18:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [OT] Identity quotas in Canadian media
From: hughmung...@gmail.com (Rhino2)
 by: Rhino2 - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 13:18 UTC

The Canadian Media Fund was set up by the current Liberal government to provide funding for media projects. The people running the fund, no doubt making the policies desired by the Liberals, have decided that identity quotas were essential to ensure that there was plenty of DIE (Diversity, Inclusion, Equity) in the projects being funded.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/jamie-sarkonak-liberals-bring-identity-quotas-to-canada-media-fund

As observed by several of the comments after the article, it's hard to imagine any of the DIE productions arising from this funding being remotely watchable. Yet another waste of hard-earned taxpayer dollars on a "progressive" boondoggle!

Re: [OT] Identity quotas in Canadian media

<atropos-5893C9.11490201062023@news.giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188331&group=rec.arts.tv#188331

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] Identity quotas in Canadian media
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2023 11:49:02 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 18:49 UTC

In article <2730878a-7d76-4f49-b7f7-e575160778d4n@googlegroups.com>,
Rhino2 <hughmunguscan@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Canadian Media Fund was set up by the current Liberal government to
> provide funding for media projects. The people running the fund, no doubt
> making the policies desired by the Liberals, have decided that identity
> quotas were essential to ensure that there was plenty of DIE (Diversity,
> Inclusion, Equity) in the projects being funded.
>
> https://nationalpost.com/opinion/jamie-sarkonak-liberals-bring-identity-quotas
> -to-canada-media-fund
>
> As observed by several of the comments after the article, it's hard to
> imagine any of the DIE productions arising from this funding being remotely
> watchable. Yet another waste of hard-earned taxpayer dollars on a
> "progressive" boondoggle!

They essentially have these quotas here, too, now. It's not
government-mandated (although I'm sure there are many 'progressives' who
wish it could be), but all major award organizations now require a film
or show to meet their "diversity" and "equity" standards in order to be
eligible for awards.

So even the producers and studios who wouldn't necessarily engage in
race-swapping on their own are now incentivized to cast blacks as the
leads of biopics about historical British royalty and Greek queens of
Egypt (for example).