Cheap things are of no value, valuable things are not cheap.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-01 (Thursday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-06-01 (Thursday)Ubiquitous
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-01 (Thursday)Ian J. Ball
 `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-01 (Thursday)BTR1701
  +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-01 (Thursday)shawn
  |+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-01 (Thursday)BTR1701
  |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-01 (Thursday)Ian J. Ball
  | `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-01 (Thursday)Dimensional Traveler
  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-01 (Thursday)Ian J. Ball

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-06-01 (Thursday)

<UBI20230601@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188385&group=rec.arts.tv#188385

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-01 (Thursday)
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2023 04:30:40 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 08:30 UTC

After an arduous workout, I watched:

THE NEWS AND WHY IT MATTERS:
"Chip Roy: 'Uniparty' RACKS up More Debt DESTROYING Middle Class". Texas Rep.
Chip Roy joins Sara on the show today to explain why he voted NO on the debt
ceiling bill last night. 71 Republicans joined 46 Democrats who voted against
the massive spending bill. Congressman Roy describes how this new bill will
inevitably destroy the middle class. It is headed to the Senate today for a
vote before going to the president for his signature. In a shocking moment at
the Air Force Academy graduation today, President Biden took a hard fall and
had a difficult time getting back up � despite having HELP! The pool of
candidates for the Republican presidential ticket is getting bigger with the
announcement that former Vice President Mike Pence and former New Jersey
Governor Chris Christie are announcing next week. The Department of Defense
has canceled an all-ages drag queen show at Nellis Air Force Base in Las
Vegas. The third annual all-ages drag show hosted by the Legacy Ladies and
the Nellis LGBTQ Pride Council was scheduled to be held today but was
abruptly canceled by the DOD and its base commanders.
https://youtu.be/ubKwK57T56E

THE CHAD PRATHER SHOW:
"Why Are �Furry� Freaks Furious CHILDREN Can�t Come to Their Convention?!".
A �Furry/Anthropomorphic Arts Convention� in Orlando, Florida, called
Megaplex announced it would only allow attendees 18 and older. Most people
probably believe that�s reasonable given the nature of the convention, but
the LGBT activists are furious that children won�t be there. Why do they want
minors to attend a convention about sexual kinks? Do they really believe this
is a place children should be? Clearly, the answer to that is yes. The divide
between DeSantis supporters and Trump supporters continues to grow as the
presidential candidates battle it out. With Trump making some questionable
statements on Truth Social, will he be his own worst enemy in the primary?
The fact of the matter is that we have real enemies and crises to focus on,
and self-inflicted wounds aren�t something we can afford. The U.S. debt
ceiling deal was hammered by Republicans like Chip Roy and Matt Gaetz saying
Kevin McCarthy sold out his colleagues. This is why Democrats continue to
win. They refuse to bend even an inch. Once again the Uniparty is screwing
everyday Americans. James Comey defended the FBI after the release of the
Durham report because of course he�s defending what the FBI did while he was
in charge. These people are all liars, and they know it.
https://youtu.be/Iz3tBS9HNis

LIFE AFTER PEOPLE:
"The Bodies Left Behind". Looks at the future of Boston and Houston after
people disappear. It also looks at what will happen to the mummified and
cryogenically frozen bodies that are left behind.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-01 (Thursday)

<u5d80a$389g2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188407&group=rec.arts.tv#188407

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-01 (Thursday)
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 10:13:46 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 17:13 UTC

On 2023-06-02 08:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

Yesterday, I mostly took "off", and watched "crap" movies off the Tubi!!

Here's everything that I watched:

soaps: DOOL - Wed's ep. Eric catches Sloan in a lie, and she's forced
to rat out Nicole's pregnancy and confess everything. Abe has
(temporary?) amnesia - this doesn't surprise me considering how many
times Abe has been hit on the head over the years!! (What's with the
weird nurse?!...) Jada lays into Talia (and it still wasn't enough
AFAIAC! - Talia is the biggest "waste of space" character I've seen in
some time! she's pathetic!!) for being a patsy loser. Of course, Colin
manages to escape (who is he going to try to kill now!?).
GH - Wed's ep. Boy, if anything important happened in this epie, I
sure don't remember it! Basically Esme messes up on her first day, but
doesn't get fired.

Classmates (Tubi) - Covered extensively in my (ignorned! :p ) separate thread.
Basically: This wasn't deep. And it didn't make sense on multiple
levels. But the two leads sell it. (John Michael Higgins also pops up
in this as the college dean.) And it's amusing enough in spots to
generally pull it off. So, this was actually OK - first Tubi original
"comedy" that I thought was actually somewhat funny.

Cloned: The Recreator Chronicles (Tubi) - Ah, this 2012 gem sure was
*special*!! ;p
Starring baby Stella Maeve, several years before "The Magicians"
(back when she was a "nobody"!) - and with an effectively 2-minute
cameo from John de Lancie! - this was basically a quasi-"Invasion of
the Body Snatchers"-type flick:
Kids go camping on an island, where an evol mad scientist from
decades before had figured out a way to make clones! And the clones are
being made all on their own now!! And the clones want to take over the
lives of the brain-dead college kids they were cloned from!!
The film seems like it was made for a $1.98 (fun fact: it was filmed
in New York state!).
The film actually resolves mostly well, though there's kind of a
"twist" at the end that, 1) I saw coming, and 2) I didn't really like
how they execute on...
Though, now that I think about it, doing a follow-up sequel *now* (a
decade later!) could be kind of interesting, if done right.

DOA: Dead or Alive (Tubi) - How the Hell had I never seen this 2006
flick before?!!
I think I know the answer to that - I think it bombed so badly that
it never showed up on cable TV. That what explain why I've never seen
it before.
But, based on a video game, this is basically hott babes in bikinis,
kung fu fightin'!!
And the "hott babes" are impressive - it's "peak" Sarah Carter,
Devon Aoki, and Holly Valance (remember her?!), and while it's not
"peak" Jaime Pressley (that would have been earlier, probably circa
"Jack & Jill") I would say that Pressley has never looked *more fit*
than she does in this film.
(Didn't somebody around here (Adam?) once comment on seeing Jaime
Pressley in something, and commenting on how incredibly fit she was?...)
Anyway, I agree with the idea that this is kind of what a
live-action film based on a video game should be - it's not deep! but
they throw some decent fights, and lots of hot chycks in bikinis, at
you! so what's to argue?!?!!

Class of '09 (Hulu) - "The Problem Is People" (ep. #5).
Covered extensively in shawn's separate thread (which I need to
respond to myself!!).
Basically, I agree with shawn's point that, in ep. #5, this show is
starting to come together and pay off.
Will be interesting to see where it goes from here.

Legacy of Lies (Tubi) - Another Scott Adkins special! In pretty much
all of his flicks, he plays an ex- (usually, sometimes not even "ex-")
special forces guy, and this flick is no different...
Except that, in this 2020 flick, he's also an ex-spy! And he also
has a 12 year old daughter (Honor Kneafsey) that he's (poorly!) taking
care of by moonlighting as a bouncer and doing underground (it's fight
club!!) MMA fights! This is apparently in London.
Anyway, soon enough Adkins dirty former life as a spy catches up to him!!
Spycraft muckety-muck wackiness ensues!!
Fun fact: Part of this 2020 flick was filmed in Kiev/Kyiv, before
the Russian invasion.

You'll Never Leave Me (Lifetime) - Seviceable Lifetime potboiler.
But, man! The "heroine" (Christie Leverette) in this flick is a
*mess*!! She's having an affair with a married man (though she's just
broken it off). She has panic attacks! And she has a screwed-up
relationship with her mom!! And she gets into a car accident, with the
guy she's having the affair with!!
Anyway, the affair-man ends up in bad shape after the accident.
Which "triggers" his wife (Nicole Marie Johnson, playing the Lifetime
"baddie" for once!) into wanting revenge! REVENGE!!
Around the same time, a "too nice" approachable guy (Cameron Jebo)
shows up in the mess of a heroine's life, and you know that's not a
coincidence!
This plays out pretty much like expected from there...

Recorded for later: Two(!) episodes of "The Blacklist", which means I'm
now 4 episodes behind on it!!

Eh, what did *you* watch?...

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-01 (Thursday)

<zY-cndFbcpRy0uf5nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188425&group=rec.arts.tv#188425

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2023 20:24:15 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 20:24 UTC

On Jun 2, 2023 at 10:13:46 AM PDT, "Ian J. Ball" <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

> On 2023-06-02 08:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Cloned: The Recreator Chronicles (Tubi) - Ah, this 2012 gem sure was
> *special*!! ;p
> Starring baby Stella Maeve, several years before "The Magicians"
> (back when she was a "nobody"!)

I put Stella in my pocket back when she was a quasi-regular on CHICAGO PD. She
was just gorgeous back then and the make-up folks really had to try to make
her look horrible as a junkie. But then she was killed off and I hadn't seen
her since and then she showed up last season on MAYANS, playing a DEA
undercover agent, and let's just say she's not aging well. IMDb puts her age
at 34 but she's looking more like 45-50 these days.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-01 (Thursday)

<pjkk7itn902sc66abhjg6f4k4rom5ce9dc@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188426&group=rec.arts.tv#188426

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2023 16:36:07 -0400
 by: shawn - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 20:36 UTC

On Fri, 02 Jun 2023 20:24:15 +0000, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>On Jun 2, 2023 at 10:13:46 AM PDT, "Ian J. Ball" <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 2023-06-02 08:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Cloned: The Recreator Chronicles (Tubi) - Ah, this 2012 gem sure was
>> *special*!! ;p
>> Starring baby Stella Maeve, several years before "The Magicians"
>> (back when she was a "nobody"!)
>
>I put Stella in my pocket back when she was a quasi-regular on CHICAGO PD. She
>was just gorgeous back then and the make-up folks really had to try to make
>her look horrible as a junkie. But then she was killed off and I hadn't seen
>her since and then she showed up last season on MAYANS, playing a DEA
>undercover agent, and let's just say she's not aging well. IMDb puts her age
>at 34 but she's looking more like 45-50 these days.

I don't know.. She's definitely not a kid anymore but looking at this
pic I wouldn't place her age as 45-50. Now the taste in the jacket,
that might be a 60 year old.
https://twitter.com/SMaeveDaily/status/1629541126217650176

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-01 (Thursday)

<Op6dnY3d3qpWzuf5nZ2dnZfqn_dh4p2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188429&group=rec.arts.tv#188429

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2023 20:40:43 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 20:40 UTC

On Jun 2, 2023 at 1:36:07 PM PDT, "shawn" <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Jun 2023 20:24:15 +0000, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> Cloned: The Recreator Chronicles (Tubi) - Ah, this 2012 gem sure was
>>> *special*!! ;p
>>> Starring baby Stella Maeve, several years before "The Magicians"
>>> (back when she was a "nobody"!)
>>
>> I put Stella in my pocket back when she was a quasi-regular on CHICAGO PD.
>> She
>> was just gorgeous back then and the make-up folks really had to try to make
>> her look horrible as a junkie. But then she was killed off and I hadn't seen
>> her since and then she showed up last season on MAYANS, playing a DEA
>> undercover agent, and let's just say she's not aging well. IMDb puts her age
>> at 34 but she's looking more like 45-50 these days.
>
> I don't know.. She's definitely not a kid anymore but looking at this
> pic I wouldn't place her age as 45-50. Now the taste in the jacket,
> that might be a 60 year old.
> https://twitter.com/SMaeveDaily/status/1629541126217650176

Maybe they're doing things with makeup on MAYANS then, to make her look older
and more haggard, because she really does look to be at least in her late 40s
on that show. Don't know why they'd go to all the time and expense to do that,
though, since it's not necessary for the character she plays.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-01 (Thursday)

<u5dovh$3a0vi$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188430&group=rec.arts.tv#188430

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 15:03:29 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 22:03 UTC

On 2023-06-02 20:36:07 +0000, shawn said:

> On Fri, 02 Jun 2023 20:24:15 +0000, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> Cloned: The Recreator Chronicles (Tubi) - Ah, this 2012 gem sure was
>>> *special*!! ;p
>>> Starring baby Stella Maeve, several years before "The Magicians"
>>> (back when she was a "nobody"!)
>>
>> I put Stella in my pocket back when she was a quasi-regular on CHICAGO PD. She
>> was just gorgeous back then and the make-up folks really had to try to make
>> her look horrible as a junkie. But then she was killed off and I hadn't seen
>> her since and then she showed up last season on MAYANS, playing a DEA
>> undercover agent, and let's just say she's not aging well. IMDb puts her age
>> at 34 but she's looking more like 45-50 these days.
>
> I don't know.. She's definitely not a kid anymore but looking at this
> pic I wouldn't place her age as 45-50. Now the taste in the jacket,
> that might be a 60 year old.
> https://twitter.com/SMaeveDaily/status/1629541126217650176

I can't believe that any of you goons didn't comment on "DOA: Dead or
Alive"!! :p

If you have not seen this movie, do yourself a favor and check your
brain at the door and watch it! ;)

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-01 (Thursday)

<u5dpic$3a2mt$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188431&group=rec.arts.tv#188431

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 15:13:32 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 22:13 UTC

On 2023-06-02 20:24:15 +0000, BTR1701 said:

> On Jun 2, 2023 at 10:13:46 AM PDT, "Ian J. Ball" <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 2023-06-02 08:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Cloned: The Recreator Chronicles (Tubi) - Ah, this 2012 gem sure was
>> *special*!! ;p
>> Starring baby Stella Maeve, several years before "The Magicians"
>> (back when she was a "nobody"!)
>
> I put Stella in my pocket back when she was a quasi-regular on CHICAGO PD. She
> was just gorgeous back then and the make-up folks really had to try to make
> her look horrible as a junkie.

I've know about her longer than that, apparently - at least since
2009's "Accused at 17", and maybe since "Gossip Girl" in 2008...

> But then she was killed off and I hadn't seen
> her since and then she showed up last season on MAYANS,

Pretty much everyone involved with "The Magicians" has seemingly
disappeared since. It doesn't surprise me that the lead guy that flaked
out on the last season hasn't been seen much since (though apparently
he's been on "Mrs. Maisel"...). But I've only seen really Olivia Tailor
Dudley (in "Crawlspace" and "She Dies Tomorrow") since the show ended.
I am especially surprised that Summer Bishil didn't have more success,
as she was arguably the best part about the show. And Brittany Curran
may have retired from full-time acting which surprises me even more!

> playing a DEA
> undercover agent, and let's just say she's not aging well. IMDb puts her age
> at 34 but she's looking more like 45-50 these days.

It's a sad truth that's been hitting me recently - anyone who was a
hottie c.2005-2010 is now "old"... :(

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-01 (Thursday)

<u5dsaq$3a9gc$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188434&group=rec.arts.tv#188434

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 16:00:45 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 23:00 UTC

On 6/2/2023 3:03 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2023-06-02 20:36:07 +0000, shawn said:
>
>> On Fri, 02 Jun 2023 20:24:15 +0000, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> I put Stella in my pocket back when she was a quasi-regular on
>>> CHICAGO PD. She
>>> was just gorgeous back then and the make-up folks really had to try
>>> to make
>>> her look horrible as a junkie. But then she was killed off and I
>>> hadn't seen
>>> her since and then she showed up last season on MAYANS, playing a DEA
>>> undercover agent, and let's just say she's not aging well. IMDb puts
>>> her age
>>> at 34 but she's looking more like 45-50 these days.
>>
>> I don't know.. She's definitely not a kid anymore but looking at this
>> pic I wouldn't place her age as 45-50. Now the taste in the jacket,
>> that might be a 60 year old.
>> https://twitter.com/SMaeveDaily/status/1629541126217650176
>
> I can't believe that any of you goons didn't comment on "DOA: Dead or
> Alive"!!  :p
>
> If you have not seen this movie, do yourself a favor and check your
> brain at the door and watch it!  ;)

I've seen it! I even have it on disc! (But only DVD, I bought it
before it was available on BR.)

dirty old man.