"Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow you may work."

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: California; using tax-payer money to subsidize (left-wing?) news rooms

SubjectAuthor
* Re: California; using tax-payer money to subsidize (left-wing?) news roomsBTR1701
+* Re: California; using tax-payer money to subsidize (left-wing?) newsFPP
|`- Re: California; using tax-payer money to subsidize (left-wing?) newstrotsky
`- Re: California; using tax-payer money to subsidize (left-wing?) newstrotsky

1
Re: California; using tax-payer money to subsidize (left-wing?) news rooms

<3zOdnSTmrqPD2uf5nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188420&group=rec.arts.tv#188420

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: California; using tax-payer money to subsidize (left-wing?) news rooms
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2023 19:47:42 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 19:47 UTC

On Jun 2, 2023 at 7:51:53 AM PDT, "RichA" <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:

> https://petapixel.com/2023/06/01/meta-threatens-to-block-news-if-california-passes-journalism-bill/

California has finally dropped the pretense and is moving toward a fully
collectivist planned economy. They're setting up all sorts of boards and
commissions to dictate how private business are run.

As noted above, they're going to confiscate hundreds of millions from the tech
companies and just give it to news organizations.

They're trying to set up a commission that will regulate the fast food
industry and dictate how much money they have to pay employees. (For some
reason, the minimum wage isn't enough and we need a politburo to decide
whether the guac squirter at Taco Bell needs to be paid like a neurosurgeon or
just like an accountant.) Thankfully, a ballot measure forbidding the state
from implementing this commission has qualified for the ballot and a court has
ordered the state to halt the commission's activities until the vote is held
next year.

Newsom also has decided the state gets to decide how much profit your business
is allowed to make and to confiscate anything over that amount in the form of
fines. Imagine that? You start a business and the government decides how
successful you're allowed to be?

He's instituted a board to do this with the oil and gas industry already. In
response to the constant public outrage over why our gas prices are always
$1.50 - $2.00 more per gallon than the rest of the country, Newsom has ordered
his board to 'investigate' the oil companies and confiscate any excess profits
they're making-- with his handpicked board members being the sole arbiters of
what is and is not "excess".

This one is both particularly galling and admittedly clever because everyone
with an IQ higher than that of a rutabaga knows that our gas prices aren't
high because of oil company profiteering. (Why would the oil companies only
profiteer in California but not in any of the other 49 states?) No, it's
obvious that the prices are so high here because Newsom and his acolytes in
the Assembly have dumped one tax and fee and surcharge after another on the
price of every gallon of gas. And of course the oil companies, like every
other business, are going to pass those costs on to the consumer.

But of course the human debris we have for a government won't stand up and
take responsibility for what they've done. They have no courage of their
convictions. If we really need $7.00/gallon gas to "fight climate change",
then stand up and be a man and admit that you're the one imposing these costs
on us and take what's coming to you at the polls.

But Newsom wants to be president, you see, so he has to find a scapegoat
because the political ads just write themselves: "Gavin Newsom's policies have
resulted in Californians paying significantly more for gas than anyone else in
America, including Hawaii, where they have to ship it in from halfway around
the world. Now he wants to be president and bring these policies to your state
and every other state in the nation, too. A vote for Gavin is a vote for
$7.00/gallon gas."

So he pretends it's oil company profiteering that's the culprit, sets up a
board to fine them and confiscate the money, which he knows the companies will
just pass on the consumer, resulting in even *higher* gas prices.

This way he can raise taxes on gas even more in service of his anti-car
"climate change" agenda, fill the state's coffers, further disincentivize the
average person from driving, and appear to be a white knight fighting those
evol, evol, greedy capitalist oil companies all at the same time. And he
rightly counts on the average California voter being too stupid to realize
what he's actually doing.

Re: California; using tax-payer money to subsidize (left-wing?) news rooms

<u5e1ug$3aol0$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188447&group=rec.arts.tv#188447

From: fredp1...@gmail.com (FPP)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: California; using tax-payer money to subsidize (left-wing?) news
rooms
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 20:36:31 -0400
 by: FPP - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 00:36 UTC

On 6/2/23 3:47 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On Jun 2, 2023 at 7:51:53 AM PDT, "RichA"<rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> https://petapixel.com/2023/06/01/meta-threatens-to-block-news-if-california-passes-journalism-bill/
> California has finally dropped the pretense and is moving toward a fully
> collectivist planned economy. They're setting up all sorts of boards and
> commissions to dictate how private business are run.

Like Meatball Ron and Disney? I thought you guys LIKED that now?

--
"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a man’s mind." - OC
Bible 25B.G.

Gracie, age 6.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0es3xolxka455iw/BetterThingsToDo.jpg?dl=0

Re: California; using tax-payer money to subsidize (left-wing?) news rooms

<fOCeM.633561$Olad.291154@fx35.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188482&group=rec.arts.tv#188482

rooms
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 03:25:47 -0500
 by: trotsky - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 08:25 UTC

On 6/2/23 2:47 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On Jun 2, 2023 at 7:51:53 AM PDT, "RichA" <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> https://petapixel.com/2023/06/01/meta-threatens-to-block-news-if-california-passes-journalism-bill/
>
> California has finally dropped the pretense and is moving toward a fully
> collectivist planned economy. They're setting up all sorts of boards and
> commissions to dictate how private business are run.

That must be why you still live there then.

> [...]
> and every other state in the nation, too. A vote for Gavin is a vote for
> $7.00/gallon gas."
>
> So he pretends it's oil company profiteering that's the culprit, sets up a
> board to fine them and confiscate the money, which he knows the companies will
> just pass on the consumer, resulting in even *higher* gas prices.
>
> This way he can raise taxes on gas even more in service of his anti-car
> "climate change" agenda, fill the state's coffers, further disincentivize the
> average person from driving, and appear to be a white knight fighting those
> evol, evol, greedy capitalist oil companies all at the same time. And he
> rightly counts on the average California voter being too stupid to realize
> what he's actually doing.

Re: California; using tax-payer money to subsidize (left-wing?) news rooms

<FSCeM.633564$Olad.336380@fx35.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188485&group=rec.arts.tv#188485

rooms
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 03:30:28 -0500
 by: trotsky - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 08:30 UTC

On 6/2/23 7:36 PM, FPP wrote:
> On 6/2/23 3:47 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>> On Jun 2, 2023 at 7:51:53 AM PDT, "RichA"<rander3128@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> https://petapixel.com/2023/06/01/meta-threatens-to-block-news-if-california-passes-journalism-bill/
>> California has finally dropped the pretense and is moving toward a fully
>> collectivist planned economy. They're setting up all sorts of boards and
>> commissions to dictate how private business are run.
>
> Like Meatball Ron and Disney?  I thought you guys LIKED that now?

It's not even clear if they like meatballs.