Anything is possible on paper. -- Ron McAfee

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: [OT] Damned if you do, damned if you don't....

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] Damned if you do, damned if you don't....Rhino2
+* Re: [OT] Damned if you do, damned if you don't....Bill Idgerant
|+* Re: [OT] Damned if you do, damned if you don't....Rhino
||`* Re: [OT] Damned if you do, damned if you don't....anim8rfsk
|| `- Re: [OT] Damned if you do, damned if you don't....The Horny Goat
|`* Re: [OT] Damned if you do, damned if you don't....shawn
| `- Re: [OT] Damned if you do, damned if you don't....The Horny Goat
+- Re: [OT] Damned if you do, damned if you don't....Adam H. Kerman
`- Re: [OT] Damned if you do, damned if you don't....Ubiquitous

1
[OT] Damned if you do, damned if you don't....

<c2d9013c-f918-4fe2-89e4-94a83a0fdb52n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188510&group=rec.arts.tv#188510

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 06:33:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [OT] Damned if you do, damned if you don't....
From: hughmung...@gmail.com (Rhino2)
 by: Rhino2 - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 13:33 UTC

A driver in Windsor, Ontario (just across the border from Detroit) has been charged after stopping traffic to avoid hitting a family of geese crossing a busy highway. His sudden stop caused a collision between two following vehicles which ended up causing the major expressway to be closed for most of the day.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/geese-expressway-collision-1.6863523

One of those damned if you, damned if you don't situations: if you hit the geese, you're probably going to kill or maim some of them and have to live with that but if you stop to avoid that, you risk causing a collision with other vehicles if you are in heavy traffic.

Re: [OT] Damned if you do, damned if you don't....

<lGHeM.4296830$GNG9.1265636@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188511&group=rec.arts.tv#188511

Subject: Re: [OT] Damned if you do, damned if you don't....
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: Non...@fake.net (Bill Idgerant)
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 07:58:41 -0600
 by: Bill Idgerant - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 13:58 UTC

On 2023-06-03 7:33 a.m., Rhino2 wrote:
> A driver in Windsor, Ontario (just across the border from Detroit) has been charged after stopping traffic to avoid hitting a family of geese crossing a busy highway. His sudden stop caused a collision between two following vehicles which ended up causing the major expressway to be closed for most of the day.
>
> https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/geese-expressway-collision-1.6863523
>
> One of those damned if you, damned if you don't situations: if you hit the geese, you're probably going to kill or maim some of them and have to live with that but if you stop to avoid that, you risk causing a collision with other vehicles if you are in heavy traffic.

It wasn't the first driver who caused all the trouble. It was the moron
behind, following too close to avoid a rear-ender.
--
Bill Idgerant
(Not a real person)

Re: [OT] Damned if you do, damned if you don't....

<u5fkgl$3ipvj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188516&group=rec.arts.tv#188516

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 10:59:31 -0400
 by: Rhino - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 14:59 UTC

On 2023-06-03 9:58 AM, Bill Idgerant wrote:
> On 2023-06-03 7:33 a.m., Rhino2 wrote:
>> A driver in Windsor, Ontario (just across the border from Detroit) has
>> been charged after stopping traffic to avoid hitting a family of geese
>> crossing a busy highway. His sudden stop caused a collision between
>> two following vehicles which ended up causing the major expressway to
>> be closed for most of the day.
>>
>> https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/geese-expressway-collision-1.6863523
>>
>> One of those damned if you, damned if you don't situations: if you hit
>> the geese, you're probably going to kill or maim some of them and have
>> to live with that but if you stop to avoid that, you risk causing a
>> collision with other vehicles if you are in heavy traffic.
>

> It wasn't the first driver who caused all the trouble. It was the moron
> behind, following too close to avoid a rear-ender.

True. But it was the first guy who stopped who got charged, not the guy
behind him. The police obviously blamed the first guy. In an ideal
world, the guy who got charged would go to court and win and then the
guy who was following him too closely would get charged and convicted.
Unfortunately, this is clearly not an ideal world....

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Damned if you do, damned if you don't....

<1239364806.707498374.005101.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188519&group=rec.arts.tv#188519

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 08:21:46 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 15:21 UTC

> On 2023-06-03 9:58 AM, Bill Idgerant wrote:
>> On 2023-06-03 7:33 a.m., Rhino2 wrote:
>>> A driver in Windsor, Ontario (just across the border from Detroit) has
>>> been charged after stopping traffic to avoid hitting a family of geese
>>> crossing a busy highway. His sudden stop caused a collision between
>>> two following vehicles which ended up causing the major expressway to
>>> be closed for most of the day.
>>>
>>> https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/geese-expressway-collision-1.6863523
>>>
>>> One of those damned if you, damned if you don't situations: if you hit
>>> the geese, you're probably going to kill or maim some of them and have
>>> to live with that but if you stop to avoid that, you risk causing a
>>> collision with other vehicles if you are in heavy traffic.
>>

>> It wasn't the first driver who caused all the trouble. It was the moron
>> behind, following too close to avoid a rear-ender.
>
> True. But it was the first guy who stopped who got charged, not the guy
> behind him. The police obviously blamed the first guy. In an ideal
> world, the guy who got charged would go to court and win and then the
> guy who was following him too closely would get charged and convicted.
> Unfortunately, this is clearly not an ideal world....

It’s the opposite here. If you have a multi car collision on the highway,
it’s the last guy who gets charged. Theory I’ve always heard is that the
second to last guy might have gotten knocked into the third to last guy by
the last guy. The last guy is the only one you know who hit the pile up on
his own.

Re: [OT] Damned if you do, damned if you don't....

<05qm7ihagje08f5gdod6op85f8nna63r2p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188525&group=rec.arts.tv#188525

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2023 12:25:27 -0400
 by: shawn - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 16:25 UTC

On Sat, 3 Jun 2023 07:58:41 -0600, Bill Idgerant <Noname@fake.net>
wrote:

>On 2023-06-03 7:33 a.m., Rhino2 wrote:
>> A driver in Windsor, Ontario (just across the border from Detroit) has been charged after stopping traffic to avoid hitting a family of geese crossing a busy highway. His sudden stop caused a collision between two following vehicles which ended up causing the major expressway to be closed for most of the day.
>>
>> https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/geese-expressway-collision-1.6863523
>>
>> One of those damned if you, damned if you don't situations: if you hit the geese, you're probably going to kill or maim some of them and have to live with that but if you stop to avoid that, you risk causing a collision with other vehicles if you are in heavy traffic.
>

>It wasn't the first driver who caused all the trouble. It was the moron
>behind, following too close to avoid a rear-ender.

This reminds me of something that I saw pointed out in a video
recently. Which is that braking (or more to the point brake lights)
are broken with modern cars. Apparently for some unknown reason car
manufacturers made the decision to not connect the automatic braking
of cars to the brake lights. So if your car engages in regenerative
braking the brake lights won't go on. If your car is automatically
slowing down because the car in front of you the brake lights won't
engage. I do think in an emergency stop where full pressure is applied
the lights do engage.

Obviously this puts an enormous burden on the person behind because
they may not notice that you are suddenly slowing down because one of
the main cues we use is the use of the brake lights.

Re: [OT] Damned if you do, damned if you don't....

<aqrm7ipohl9olcik845fiam5i9ed1bppjk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188530&group=rec.arts.tv#188530

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2023 09:51:37 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 16:51 UTC

On Sat, 3 Jun 2023 08:21:46 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>It’s the opposite here. If you have a multi car collision on the highway,
>it’s the last guy who gets charged. Theory I’ve always heard is that the
>second to last guy might have gotten knocked into the third to last guy by
>the last guy. The last guy is the only one you know who hit the pile up on
>his own.

My father was once #2 in a 4 lane pile-up - he was deemed 'at fault'
with respect to #1 but 'innocent party' with respect to #3 and #4 - go
figure.

The point is the force of #4 piling into #3 pushed #3 into #2 etc

Re: [OT] Damned if you do, damned if you don't....

<aurm7ipa63m8eritd9tsjs94t4gmp25mus@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188532&group=rec.arts.tv#188532

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2023 09:54:22 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 16:54 UTC

On Sat, 03 Jun 2023 12:25:27 -0400, shawn
<nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

>This reminds me of something that I saw pointed out in a video
>recently. Which is that braking (or more to the point brake lights)
>are broken with modern cars. Apparently for some unknown reason car
>manufacturers made the decision to not connect the automatic braking
>of cars to the brake lights. So if your car engages in regenerative
>braking the brake lights won't go on. If your car is automatically
>slowing down because the car in front of you the brake lights won't
>engage. I do think in an emergency stop where full pressure is applied
>the lights do engage.
>
>Obviously this puts an enormous burden on the person behind because
>they may not notice that you are suddenly slowing down because one of
>the main cues we use is the use of the brake lights.

What moron told Detroit it's ok to do that?

As you say brake lights are one of the main cues we have. Not the only
cue to be sure - if I see a 4-way stop I'll often coast up to the
intersection only braking at the last minute (to save wear and tear on
my brakes) but most of our 4-way stops are signed as such and nobody
would barrel through one (we hope)

Re: [OT] Damned if you do, damned if you don't....

<u5g4on$3l0kn$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188555&group=rec.arts.tv#188555

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 19:36:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 19:36 UTC

Rhino2 <hughmunguscan@gmail.com> wrote:

>A driver in Windsor, Ontario (just across the border from Detroit) has
>been charged after stopping traffic to avoid hitting a family of geese
>crossing a busy highway. His sudden stop caused a collision between two
>following vehicles which ended up causing the major expressway to be
>closed for most of the day.

>https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/geese-expressway-collision-1.6863523

>One of those damned if you, damned if you don't situations: if you hit
>the geese, you're probably going to kill or maim some of them and have
>to live with that but if you stop to avoid that, you risk causing a
>collision with other vehicles if you are in heavy traffic.

I'd have honked to try to get them to fly off. You simply cannot stop if
you anticipate that your follower will crash into you.

Re: [OT] Damned if you do, damned if you don't....

<u5kiqs$b0bd$9@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188706&group=rec.arts.tv#188706

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2023 05:01:01 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 09:01 UTC

https://youtu.be/miuytNUEmbU

--
Let's go Brandon!