Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 09:54:13 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [OT] Federal judge decries judicial activism of Canadian Supreme Court
From: hughmung...@gmail.com (Rhino2)
 by: Rhino2 - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 16:54 UTC

A judge on the Federal Court of Appeal has denounced judicial activism on the part of the Canadian Supreme Court in the past couple of decades:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/john-ivison-a-harsh-rebuke-from-the-bench-for-a-supreme-court-on-the-loose

Frankly, I'm astonished that a judge would say such things, not because they are false but because they would seem to ensure an end to any prospects for the judge's further advancement.

Re: [OT] Federal judge decries judicial activism of Canadian Supreme Court

<u5ftjp$3kbsi$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188541&group=rec.arts.tv#188541

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 17:34:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 17:34 UTC

Rhino2 <hughmunguscan@gmail.com> wrote:

>A judge on the Federal Court of Appeal has denounced judicial activism
>on the part of the Canadian Supreme Court in the past couple of decades:

>https://nationalpost.com/opinion/john-ivison-a-harsh-rebuke-from-the-bench-for-a-supreme-court-on-the-loose

>Frankly, I'm astonished that a judge would say such things, not because
>they are false but because they would seem to ensure an end to any
>prospects for the judge's further advancement.

Huh. The law should be interpreted as it's historically been interpreted
and not in an expansive re-interpretation of rights and privileges.

You'd think that wouldn't have to be said, that judges understood their
jobs. But I'm even shocked to read that the chief judge lobbied against
a judicial appointment. That was outrageous.

Re: [OT] Federal judge decries judicial activism of Canadian Supreme Court

<8234d844-2630-44b5-afe8-8e6b2f40b605n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188572&group=rec.arts.tv#188572

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 13:44:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: hughmung...@gmail.com (Rhino2)
 by: Rhino2 - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 20:44 UTC

On Saturday, June 3, 2023 at 1:34:54 PM UTC-4, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Rhino2 <hughmu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >A judge on the Federal Court of Appeal has denounced judicial activism
> >on the part of the Canadian Supreme Court in the past couple of decades:
>
> >https://nationalpost.com/opinion/john-ivison-a-harsh-rebuke-from-the-bench-for-a-supreme-court-on-the-loose
>
> >Frankly, I'm astonished that a judge would say such things, not because
> >they are false but because they would seem to ensure an end to any
> >prospects for the judge's further advancement.
> Huh. The law should be interpreted as it's historically been interpreted
> and not in an expansive re-interpretation of rights and privileges.
>
> You'd think that wouldn't have to be said, that judges understood their
> jobs. But I'm even shocked to read that the chief judge lobbied against
> a judicial appointment. That was outrageous.

I'd love to see a researcher do a deep dive into the Justices in our Supreme Court (including those whose terms ended in the past couple of decades) to see what their actual politics are. I'll bet a significant number - maybe all! - of them will have expressed strong "progressive" views in past decisions and even private conversations. It would be fascinating to see precisely how vacancies are filled, although I imagine most of that happens in quiet conversations behind closed doors, making it very difficult to discover..