Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 14:04:31 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets" ?
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Zod)
 by: Zod - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 22:04 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:
> [...]
>
> "...It is difficult to find any precise use of metaphor, simile, or other conceit, which is common to all the poets and at the same time important enough as an element of style to isolate these poets as a group. Donne, and often Cowley, employ a device which is sometimes considered characteristically "metaphysical"; the elaboration (contrasted with the condensation) of a figure of speech to the farthest stage to which ingenuity can carry it. Thus Cowley develops the commonplace comparison of the world to a chess-board through long stanzas (To Destiny), and Donne, with more grace, in A Valediction, the comparison of two lovers to a pair of compasses. But elsewhere we find, instead of the mere explication of the content of a comparison, a development by rapid association of thought which requires considerable agility on the part of the reader.
>
> On a round ball
> A workman that hath copies by, can lay
> An Europe, Afrique, and an Asia,
> And quickly make that, which was nothing, All,
> So doth each teare,
> Which thee doth weare,
> A globe, yea, world by that impression grow,
> Till thy tears mixt with mine doe overflow
> This world, by waters sent from thee, my heaven dissolved so.
>
> If you can dig that you are quite loyal.
>
> :)
>
> "A bracelet of bright hair about the bone..." -Donne
>
> "Johnson, who employed the term "metaphysical poets," apparently having Donne, Cleveland, and Cowley chiefly in mind..."
>
> This is great, and worth a post all alone:
>
> "The difference is not a simple difference of degree between poets. It is something which had happened to the mind of England between the time of Donne or Lord Herbert of Cherbury and the time of Tennyson and Browning; it is the difference between the intellectual poet and the reflective poet. Tennyson and Browning are poets, and they think; but they do not feel their thought as immediately as the odour of a rose. A thought to Donne was an experience; it modified his sensibility. When a poet's mind is perfectly equipped for its work, it is constantly amalgamating disparate experience; the ordinary man's experience is chaotic, irregular, fragmentary. The latter falls in love, or reads Spinoza, and these two experiences have nothing to do with each other, or with the noise of the typewriter or the smell of cooking; in the mind of the poet these experiences are always forming new wholes...." -T.S. Eliot

Very cool, nice read....

Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets" ?

<f92a8f0598c81fe84d563b1857eb921a@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188630&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#188630

Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 02:00:35 +0000
?
From: W-Dock...@news.novabbs.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 02:00 UTC

Zod wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> "The difference is not a simple difference of degree between poets. It is something which had happened to the mind of England between the time of Donne or Lord Herbert of Cherbury and the time of Tennyson and Browning; it is the difference between the intellectual poet and the reflective poet. Tennyson and Browning are poets, and they think; but they do not feel their thought as immediately as the odour of a rose. A thought to Donne was an experience; it modified his sensibility. When a poet's mind is perfectly equipped for its work, it is constantly amalgamating disparate experience; the ordinary man's experience is chaotic, irregular, fragmentary. The latter falls in love, or reads Spinoza, and these two experiences have nothing to do with each other, or with the noise of the typewriter or the smell of cooking; in the mind of the poet these experiences are always forming new wholes...." -T.S. Eliot

Good evening, Zod, agreed.

🙂

Re: T. S. Eliot's Essay on the "Metaphysical Poets" ?

<7b5f874969c7a7be3ee067bda304c77b@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189886&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#189886

Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 04:04:49 +0000
?
From: W-Dock...@news.novabbs.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 04:04 UTC

Zod wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> "The difference is not a simple difference of degree between poets. It is something which had happened to the mind of England between the time of Donne or Lord Herbert of Cherbury and the time of Tennyson and Browning; it is the difference between the intellectual poet and the reflective poet. Tennyson and Browning are poets, and they think; but they do not feel their thought as immediately as the odour of a rose. A thought to Donne was an experience; it modified his sensibility. When a poet's mind is perfectly equipped for its work, it is constantly amalgamating disparate experience; the ordinary man's experience is chaotic, irregular, fragmentary. The latter falls in love, or reads Spinoza, and these two experiences have nothing to do with each other, or with the noise of the typewriter or the smell of cooking; in the mind of the poet these experiences are always forming new wholes...." -T.S. Eliot

Good evening, agreed.