Kitchen activity is highlighted. Butter up a friend.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-02 (Friday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-06-02 (Friday)Dimensional Traveler
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-02 (Friday)Arthur Lipscomb
 +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-02 (Friday)anim8rfsk
 +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-02 (Friday)Dimensional Traveler
 |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-02 (Friday)anim8rfsk
 | `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-02 (Friday)A Friend
 `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-02 (Friday)Ubiquitous

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-06-02 (Friday)

<u5fn1b$3jkrl$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188522&group=rec.arts.tv#188522

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-02 (Friday)
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 08:42:36 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 15:42 UTC

Stargate: SG-1 S6E02 'Redemption: Part 2'
"Teal'c, his son Rya'c and Master Bra'tac travel to the planet from
which Anubis is attacking the Earth. Teal'c is concerned for his son's
safety but the young man proves to be a fine warrior. When Teal'c and
Master Bra'tac are taken prisoner, it's left to Rya'c to destroy the
Goa'uld's special weapon. At Stargate Command, Dr. Rodney McKay thinks
he knows how to stop the particle beam that is bombarding the gate and
threatening the entire planet. Sam Carter doesn't think his solution
will work but takes no comfort when it does in fact fail. Jonas Quinn
however comes up with a solution - one that may cost someone their life
if they are to succeed."

Major Samantha Carter: For the record, I hate you.
Dr. Rodney McKay: Well, it can't get any worse than that, can it?
Major Samantha Carter: Oh, no. I'm rapidly working up to "despise."
Dr. Rodney McKay: You know, we're obviously going to have to get over
this whole physical attraction thing if we're going to work together.
Major Samantha Carter: [whispering slyly] I think I can act as though it
never existed.

Trivia: According to Carter in this episode, the gate weighs 64,000 lbs.
(I remember this being a point of contention a little while back.)

(Carter got a defective hospital gown, it doesn't gape open in the back.)

(At the end of the episode Carter gives McKay a peck on the cheek.)
McKay: That means you don't hate me.
Carter: Maybe. Too bad for you.
McKay: Why?
Carter: I was more attracted to you when I did it.
(Keep in mind the usual fate of those Carter is sweet on....)

Commentary: Martin Wood (director) and James Tichenor (FX Producer).
There is a little riffing on how the Jonas is always eating or drinking
whenever he's on screen for the first several episodes of season six.
An edict had to come from "on high" that Jonas was not to eat or drink
on screen anymore.

What Did You Watch?

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-02 (Friday)

<u5fsob$3k8se$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188537&group=rec.arts.tv#188537

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-02 (Friday)
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 10:19:51 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 17:19 UTC

On 6/3/2023 8:42 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> Stargate: SG-1 S6E02 'Redemption: Part 2'
> "Teal'c, his son Rya'c and Master Bra'tac travel to the planet from
> which Anubis is attacking the Earth. Teal'c is concerned for his son's
> safety but the young man proves to be a fine warrior. When Teal'c and
> Master Bra'tac are taken prisoner, it's left to Rya'c to destroy the
> Goa'uld's special weapon. At Stargate Command, Dr. Rodney McKay thinks
> he knows how to stop the particle beam that is bombarding the gate and
> threatening the entire planet. Sam Carter doesn't think his solution
> will work but takes no comfort when it does in fact fail. Jonas Quinn
> however comes up with a solution - one that may cost someone their life
> if they are to succeed."
>
> Major Samantha Carter: For the record, I hate you.
> Dr. Rodney McKay: Well, it can't get any worse than that, can it?
> Major Samantha Carter: Oh, no. I'm rapidly working up to "despise."
> Dr. Rodney McKay: You know, we're obviously going to have to get over
> this whole physical attraction thing if we're going to work together.
> Major Samantha Carter: [whispering slyly] I think I can act as though it
> never existed.
>
> Trivia: According to Carter in this episode, the gate weighs 64,000 lbs.
>  (I remember this being a point of contention a little while back.)

Haven't we seen people pulling up the gate with just some ropes and
maybe a horse or two?

> (Carter got a defective hospital gown, it doesn't gape open in the back.)
>
> (At the end of the episode Carter gives McKay a peck on the cheek.)
> McKay: That means you don't hate me.
> Carter: Maybe.  Too bad for you.
> McKay: Why?
> Carter: I was more attracted to you when I did it.
> (Keep in mind the usual fate of those Carter is sweet on....)
>
> Commentary: Martin Wood (director) and James Tichenor (FX Producer).
> There is a little riffing on how the Jonas is always eating or drinking
> whenever he's on screen for the first several episodes of season six. An
> edict had to come from "on high" that Jonas was not to eat or drink on
> screen anymore.

Usually that's an actor choice. Why does on high care?

> What Did You Watch?

I watched:

Survivor - The season finale. Meh!

Silo "The Relic" - Episode 6 was pretty good and that's in spite of the
fact that a chunk of the episode resolved around investigation into what
a PEZ dispenser is. But that ending was really good.

Ghosts - "The Heir" - For the season finale, a woman shows up with DNA
test in hand claiming to be the rightful heir to the property and the
ghosts don't really seem to care one way or the other.

Awkwafina Is Nora from Queens - I caught up on the last three episodes.
I guess they were OK. I don't really feel like summarizing them.

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (theatrical) Sequel to "Into the
spider-verse." I've been fairly vocal about not thinking "Into the
spider-verse" was as great as everyone else seems to think it is. So, I
went into this movie with fairly low expectations and was blown away by
it. The reviews are right! It is way, way, way better than the first
movie. Basically, more or less picking up where the last movie ended,
Spider-Gwen has returned to her own universe and after suffering a
tragedy she's recruited to join a sort of multiverse police force
composed of Spider-people from across the multiverse. This movie
explicitly acknowledges and is set in the Sony/MCU multiverse. The
action then shifts to Miles Morales and his universe where he encounters
"The Villain of the week" who calls himself "The Spot" and his power is
he can open portals using interdimensional holes that part of his body.
The plotlines converge when Spider-Gwen shows up in Mile's universe to
lend a hand and when she leaves Miles goes with her. I'll stop there
because the plot becomes increasingly hard to describe without hitting
spoilers. But let's say the two of them travel the multiverse and
eventually wind up back at headquarters where things don't unfold the
way Miles thought they would. The trailers for the movie don't do it
justice. The trailers make it look like light fluff comedy like the
first movie. This one is actually fairly serious in terms of what goes
down. Although it definitely has moments of humor. The message this
movie tries to convey (to Miles) is that being Spider-Man is not easy.
It's painful and you don't always win. This is a message that Miles
doesn't want to hear and actively fights against. And when he's forced
to pick between his own happiness vs. the greater good, which way will
he go? And is it the right way? This is the second movie in what will
be a trilogy. The next movie is set to wrap things up next year. Much
like Fast and Furious X, there is lots of buildup and no resolution.
But unlike Furious X, this movie had a satisfying ending that leaves you
waiting for what will happen next.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-02 (Friday)

<609293359.707516774.457973.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188568&group=rec.arts.tv#188568

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 13:33:29 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 20:33 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 6/3/2023 8:42 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> Stargate: SG-1 S6E02 'Redemption: Part 2'
>> "Teal'c, his son Rya'c and Master Bra'tac travel to the planet from
>> which Anubis is attacking the Earth. Teal'c is concerned for his son's
>> safety but the young man proves to be a fine warrior. When Teal'c and
>> Master Bra'tac are taken prisoner, it's left to Rya'c to destroy the
>> Goa'uld's special weapon. At Stargate Command, Dr. Rodney McKay thinks
>> he knows how to stop the particle beam that is bombarding the gate and
>> threatening the entire planet. Sam Carter doesn't think his solution
>> will work but takes no comfort when it does in fact fail. Jonas Quinn
>> however comes up with a solution - one that may cost someone their life
>> if they are to succeed."
>>
>> Major Samantha Carter: For the record, I hate you.
>> Dr. Rodney McKay: Well, it can't get any worse than that, can it?
>> Major Samantha Carter: Oh, no. I'm rapidly working up to "despise."
>> Dr. Rodney McKay: You know, we're obviously going to have to get over
>> this whole physical attraction thing if we're going to work together.
>> Major Samantha Carter: [whispering slyly] I think I can act as though it
>> never existed.
>>
>> Trivia: According to Carter in this episode, the gate weighs 64,000 lbs.
>>  (I remember this being a point of contention a little while back.)
>>

> Haven't we seen people pulling up the gate with just some ropes and
> maybe a horse or two?

We’ve seen just people with ropes pull a gate upright (I have no idea why
because they didn’t know it should be upright and it certainly isn’t going
to stay upright.) at least three times I can think of including the
original movie. No horses, just men, maybe a dozen on one side and half a
dozen on the other.

>> (Carter got a defective hospital gown, it doesn't gape open in the back.)
>>
>> (At the end of the episode Carter gives McKay a peck on the cheek.)
>> McKay: That means you don't hate me.
>> Carter: Maybe.  Too bad for you.
>> McKay: Why?
>> Carter: I was more attracted to you when I did it.
>> (Keep in mind the usual fate of those Carter is sweet on....)
>>
>> Commentary: Martin Wood (director) and James Tichenor (FX Producer).
>> There is a little riffing on how the Jonas is always eating or drinking
>> whenever he's on screen for the first several episodes of season six. An
>> edict had to come from "on high" that Jonas was not to eat or drink on
>> screen anymore.
>>

> Usually that's an actor choice. Why does on high care?

Why would that be an actor choice?

The only exception I can think of is Betty Buckley, who is stupider than
Susan Sarandon.

When she joined eight is enough, they did Thanksgiving publicity photos and
had a turkey on the table. She got so upset because she identified with the
turkey as a (formerly) living thing That she had put in her contract that
she never had to be in a shot with fauna again. Which is a problem for a
show that spends about half its time in the kitchen or dining room. For the
whole rest of the series all the Bradfords got to eat was salad. Notice
that she wasn’t invited back for the reunion movies.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-02 (Friday)

<u5g842$3lebi$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188569&group=rec.arts.tv#188569

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 13:34:12 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 20:34 UTC

On 6/3/2023 10:19 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> On 6/3/2023 8:42 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> Stargate: SG-1 S6E02 'Redemption: Part 2'
>> "Teal'c, his son Rya'c and Master Bra'tac travel to the planet from
>> which Anubis is attacking the Earth. Teal'c is concerned for his son's
>> safety but the young man proves to be a fine warrior. When Teal'c and
>> Master Bra'tac are taken prisoner, it's left to Rya'c to destroy the
>> Goa'uld's special weapon. At Stargate Command, Dr. Rodney McKay thinks
>> he knows how to stop the particle beam that is bombarding the gate and
>> threatening the entire planet. Sam Carter doesn't think his solution
>> will work but takes no comfort when it does in fact fail. Jonas Quinn
>> however comes up with a solution - one that may cost someone their
>> life if they are to succeed."
>>
>> Major Samantha Carter: For the record, I hate you.
>> Dr. Rodney McKay: Well, it can't get any worse than that, can it?
>> Major Samantha Carter: Oh, no. I'm rapidly working up to "despise."
>> Dr. Rodney McKay: You know, we're obviously going to have to get over
>> this whole physical attraction thing if we're going to work together.
>> Major Samantha Carter: [whispering slyly] I think I can act as though
>> it never existed.
>>
>> Trivia: According to Carter in this episode, the gate weighs 64,000
>> lbs.   (I remember this being a point of contention a little while back.)
>>

> Haven't we seen people pulling up the gate with just some ropes and
> maybe a horse or two?

There are stones at Stonehenge that weigh more than that. :P

>> (Carter got a defective hospital gown, it doesn't gape open in the back.)
>>
>> (At the end of the episode Carter gives McKay a peck on the cheek.)
>> McKay: That means you don't hate me.
>> Carter: Maybe.  Too bad for you.
>> McKay: Why?
>> Carter: I was more attracted to you when I did it.
>> (Keep in mind the usual fate of those Carter is sweet on....)
>>
>> Commentary: Martin Wood (director) and James Tichenor (FX Producer).
>> There is a little riffing on how the Jonas is always eating or
>> drinking whenever he's on screen for the first several episodes of
>> season six. An edict had to come from "on high" that Jonas was not to
>> eat or drink on screen anymore.
>>

> Usually that's an actor choice.  Why does on high care?

Because it quickly reached the point of being obnoxious, he had a piece
of food or a mug of tea in his had _every single time he was on screen_
no matter what the situation was. It was like Gary Cole's character in
'Office Space' with his mug of coffee.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-02 (Friday)

<1042456309.707551951.165081.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188598&group=rec.arts.tv#188598

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 23:15:01 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 06:15 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 6/3/2023 10:19 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
>> On 6/3/2023 8:42 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>>> Stargate: SG-1 S6E02 'Redemption: Part 2'
>>> "Teal'c, his son Rya'c and Master Bra'tac travel to the planet from
>>> which Anubis is attacking the Earth. Teal'c is concerned for his son's
>>> safety but the young man proves to be a fine warrior. When Teal'c and
>>> Master Bra'tac are taken prisoner, it's left to Rya'c to destroy the
>>> Goa'uld's special weapon. At Stargate Command, Dr. Rodney McKay thinks
>>> he knows how to stop the particle beam that is bombarding the gate and
>>> threatening the entire planet. Sam Carter doesn't think his solution
>>> will work but takes no comfort when it does in fact fail. Jonas Quinn
>>> however comes up with a solution - one that may cost someone their
>>> life if they are to succeed."
>>>
>>> Major Samantha Carter: For the record, I hate you.
>>> Dr. Rodney McKay: Well, it can't get any worse than that, can it?
>>> Major Samantha Carter: Oh, no. I'm rapidly working up to "despise."
>>> Dr. Rodney McKay: You know, we're obviously going to have to get over
>>> this whole physical attraction thing if we're going to work together.
>>> Major Samantha Carter: [whispering slyly] I think I can act as though
>>> it never existed.
>>>
>>> Trivia: According to Carter in this episode, the gate weighs 64,000
>>> lbs.   (I remember this being a point of contention a little while back.)
>>>

>> Haven't we seen people pulling up the gate with just some ropes and
>> maybe a horse or two?
>>
> There are stones at Stonehenge that weigh more than that. :P
>

>>> (Carter got a defective hospital gown, it doesn't gape open in the back.)
>>>
>>> (At the end of the episode Carter gives McKay a peck on the cheek.)
>>> McKay: That means you don't hate me.
>>> Carter: Maybe.  Too bad for you.
>>> McKay: Why?
>>> Carter: I was more attracted to you when I did it.
>>> (Keep in mind the usual fate of those Carter is sweet on....)
>>>
>>> Commentary: Martin Wood (director) and James Tichenor (FX Producer).
>>> There is a little riffing on how the Jonas is always eating or
>>> drinking whenever he's on screen for the first several episodes of
>>> season six. An edict had to come from "on high" that Jonas was not to
>>> eat or drink on screen anymore.
>>>

>> Usually that's an actor choice.  Why does on high care?
>>
> Because it quickly reached the point of being obnoxious, he had a piece
> of food or a mug of tea in his had _every single time he was on screen_
> no matter what the situation was. It was like Gary Cole's character in
> 'Office Space' with his mug of coffee.

Jonas Quinn had thousands of things to sample.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-02 (Friday)

<040620230748482272%nope@noway.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188607&group=rec.arts.tv#188607

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2023 07:48:48 -0400
 by: A Friend - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 11:48 UTC

In article
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

> >> Haven't we seen people pulling up the gate with just some ropes and
> >> maybe a horse or two?
> >>
> > There are stones at Stonehenge that weigh more than that. :P

> >> Usually that's an actor choice.  Why does on high care?
> >>
> > Because it quickly reached the point of being obnoxious, he had a piece
> > of food or a mug of tea in his had _every single time he was on screen_
> > no matter what the situation was. It was like Gary Cole's character in
> > 'Office Space' with his mug of coffee.
> >

> Jonas Quinn had thousands of things to sample.

Paul Mantee ("Robinson Crusoe on Mars") played one of the background
cops on Cagney & Lacey. He broke out a bit by always munching on a
danish or a donut in the group scenes.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-02 (Friday)

<u5i03r$3uu5v$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188615&group=rec.arts.tv#188615

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2023 04:30:41 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 08:30 UTC

In article <u5fsob$3k8se$1@dont-email.me>, arthur@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:

>Ghosts - "The Heir" - For the season finale, a woman shows up with DNA
>test in hand claiming to be the rightful heir to the property and the
>ghosts don't really seem to care one way or the other.

How exactly did they disprover her claim, besides on what a ghost claimed?

>Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (theatrical) Sequel to "Into the
>spider-verse." I've been fairly vocal about not thinking "Into the
>spider-verse" was as great as everyone else seems to think it is. So, I
>went into this movie with fairly low expectations and was blown away by
>it. The reviews are right! It is way, way, way better than the first
>movie. Basically, more or less picking up where the last movie ended,
>Spider-Gwen has returned to her own universe and after suffering a
>tragedy she's recruited to join a sort of multiverse police force
>composed of Spider-people from across the multiverse. This movie
>explicitly acknowledges and is set in the Sony/MCU multiverse. The
>action then shifts to Miles Morales and his universe where he encounters
>"The Villain of the week" who calls himself "The Spot" and his power is
>he can open portals using interdimensional holes that part of his body.
>The plotlines converge when Spider-Gwen shows up in Mile's universe to
>lend a hand and when she leaves Miles goes with her. I'll stop there
>because the plot becomes increasingly hard to describe without hitting
>spoilers. But let's say the two of them travel the multiverse and
>eventually wind up back at headquarters where things don't unfold the
>way Miles thought they would. The trailers for the movie don't do it
>justice. The trailers make it look like light fluff comedy like the
>first movie. This one is actually fairly serious in terms of what goes
>down. Although it definitely has moments of humor. The message this
>movie tries to convey (to Miles) is that being Spider-Man is not easy.
>It's painful and you don't always win. This is a message that Miles
>doesn't want to hear and actively fights against. And when he's forced
>to pick between his own happiness vs. the greater good, which way will
>he go? And is it the right way? This is the second movie in what will
>be a trilogy. The next movie is set to wrap things up next year. Much
>like Fast and Furious X, there is lots of buildup and no resolution.
>But unlike Furious X, this movie had a satisfying ending that leaves you
>waiting for what will happen next.

I don't like Miles Morales, <arvel's obvious attempt at pandering and
hitching onto the short-lived Obama-mania.

--
Let's go Brandon!