I have seen the Great Pretender and he is not what he seems.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
|+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)Adam H. Kerman
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb
||+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
||+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)Adam H. Kerman
|||+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
|||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)shawn
||| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)shawn
|||  +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
|||  +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
|||  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)Adam H. Kerman
|||   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)shawn
||+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
||`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)Ubiquitous
|+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)Dimensional Traveler
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb
|| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)Dimensional Traveler
||  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb
||   `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)Dimensional Traveler
||    `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb
| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
 `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)Ubiquitous
  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)anim8rfsk

Pages:12
What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)

<UBI20230603@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188614&group=rec.arts.tv#188614

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2023 04:30:40 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 08:30 UTC

I watched:

THE NEWS AND WHY IT MATTERS:
This week's eps.

STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS:
"A Quality of Mercy". Just as Captain Pike thinks he�s figured out how to
escape his fate, he�s visited by his future self, who shows him the
consequences of his actions. I saw this offered for free on YouTube and was
prepared to be disappointed, but was pleasantly surprised by this remake or
variation of " Balance of Terror".

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)

<u5ifkc$sm5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188623&group=rec.arts.tv#188623

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 09:54:37 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 16:54 UTC

On 2023-06-04 08:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

Yesterday, I didn't really watch movies. Instead, I started to finish
off "Titans"...:

soaps: DOOL - Fri's ep. Nicole tells EJ the truth - that she is
preggers and doesn't know who the father is. Eric tells Marlena the
same. In the end, Kayla informs Nicole that the paternity results are
in, and they all head down to the hospital to get the results.
Meanwhile, more DiMera family idiocy - Megan tells Kristen that what
she's really after is world domination.

Titans (Max) - "Caul's Folly", "Dick & Carol & Ted & Kory", "Dude,
Where’s My Gar?" (ep's #4.7-4.9).
First, the show does look/sound pretty dang good in 4k/Dolby Atmos. FWIW.
The first two episodes were just OK, I guess. We pick up where the
first half of season #4 ended (not that I really remembered much...).
Mother Mayhem and Brother Blood are after some horn that will open a
portal for Trigon to come to our world.
But thanks to some notes Lex Luthor left, the Titans know how to get
for it first. But this leads to Dick, Kory and Rachel getting stuck in
a town in some pocket universe where the horn is kept. Eventually, they
get out (thanks to some help from Tim Drake and Bernard), but not
before Mayhem and Blood get the horn. Later, Conner Luthor seems to
want to conspire with Brother Blood, but I think it's a ruse to take
him down by Conner's lonesome...
The third episode of these was the "Gar" episode, and is also the
one with all the cameos (like Stargirl) and explicitly ties the show in
with the rest of the DCU. Anyway, thanks to "Freedom Beast" (who?!!),
Gar is able to get back "our world", but only to the "Doom Patrol"
crew?...

golf - The Memorial is a mess - at the end of Day 3, there were 41
players between -1 and -6 (three leaders at -6). So, basically, almost
anybody can still win this one Day 4.

The Blacklist (recorded) - "The Hat Trick" (ep. #10.15). An OK episode,
I guess. Red finally gives the Task Force 3 "cases", but they turn out
not to be real "blacklisters", per se. And, of course, Red has an
ulterior motive (though not a usual one). In the end, I think Dembe is
now convinced that Red is dying too.
Meanwhile, Red investigates the Congressman, and discovers that he's
a virtual boy scout.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (Hulu) - I really enjoyed this. I don't
remember much about the original "Jumanji" movie - I haven't seen it in
decades - but I remember not liking it much at all.
This movie, OTOH, is quite enjoyable. Possibly one of the few
sequels/reboots that is vastly better than the original.
I like that this one has quite a lot of humor - I especially love
the scenes where Jack Black (channeling a "hot" teenage girl!) tries to
teach Karen Gillan! (who is totally hott!) how to "flirt"! (These
scenes are a riot - esp. Gillan!)
Anyway, this is a fun, funny "adventure" flick.
I have to say, Nick Jonas was in this quite a bit more than I was expecting.

Recorded for later: Wedding Season (off Hallmark).

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)

<u5ig73$ks3$6@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188624&group=rec.arts.tv#188624

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 17:04:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 17:04 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>. . .

>Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (Hulu) - I really enjoyed this. I don't
>remember much about the original "Jumanji" movie - I haven't seen it in
>decades - but I remember not liking it much at all.
> This movie, OTOH, is quite enjoyable. Possibly one of the few
>sequels/reboots that is vastly better than the original.
> I like that this one has quite a lot of humor - I especially love
>the scenes where Jack Black (channeling a "hot" teenage girl!) tries to
>teach Karen Gillan! (who is totally hott!) how to "flirt"! (These
>scenes are a riot - esp. Gillan!)

As I said in the other followup, Jack Black as the teenage girl was the
performance of his career. And yes, Karen Gillan was sexy as hell, and
she's really really funny. These two made the movie.

Given what Dwayne Johnson got paid, the script had minimal expectations
of his performance, which he delivered. Yeah, we all got the gag the
first time.

> Anyway, this is a fun, funny "adventure" flick.
> I have to say, Nick Jonas was in this quite a bit more than I was
>expecting.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)

<u5iiiu$16m6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188627&group=rec.arts.tv#188627

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 10:44:41 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 17:44 UTC

On 6/4/2023 9:54 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2023-06-04 08:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Yesterday, I didn't really watch movies. Instead, I started to finish
> off "Titans"...:
>
> soaps: DOOL - Fri's ep. Nicole tells EJ the truth - that she is preggers
> and doesn't know who the father is. Eric tells Marlena the same. In the
> end, Kayla informs Nicole that the paternity results are in, and they
> all head down to the hospital to get the results. Meanwhile, more DiMera
> family idiocy - Megan tells Kristen that what she's really after is
> world domination.
>
> Titans (Max) - "Caul's Folly", "Dick & Carol & Ted & Kory", "Dude,
> Where’s My Gar?" (ep's #4.7-4.9).
>   First, the show does look/sound pretty dang good in 4k/Dolby Atmos.
> FWIW.
>   The first two episodes were just OK, I guess. We pick up where the
> first half of season #4 ended (not that I really remembered much...).

Join the club. I'm starting the wonder if shows do this on purpose to
hide continuity issues. If you don't remember it, you can't spot it.

> Mother Mayhem and Brother Blood are after some horn that will open a
> portal for Trigon to come to our world.
>   But thanks to some notes Lex Luthor left, the Titans know how to get
> for it first. But this leads to Dick, Kory and Rachel getting stuck in a
> town in some pocket universe where the horn is kept. Eventually, they
> get out (thanks to some help from Tim Drake and Bernard), but not before
> Mayhem and Blood get the horn. Later, Conner Luthor seems to want to
> conspire with Brother Blood, but I think it's a ruse to take him down by
> Conner's lonesome...
>   The third episode of these was the "Gar" episode, and is also the one
> with all the cameos (like Stargirl) and explicitly ties the show in with
> the rest of the DCU.

The Flash already did that when they made a cameo during "Crisis."

Anyway, thanks to "Freedom Beast" (who?!!), Gar is
> able to get back "our world", but only to the "Doom Patrol" crew?...
>
> golf - The Memorial is a mess - at the end of Day 3, there were 41
> players between -1 and -6 (three leaders at -6). So, basically, almost
> anybody can still win this one Day 4.
>
> The Blacklist (recorded)

I'm 2 or 3 episodes behind and not sure where I left off.

> Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (Hulu) - I really enjoyed this. I don't
> remember much about the original "Jumanji" movie - I haven't seen it in
> decades - but I remember not liking it much at all.

I didn't care much for the original when it first came out, but it was
better than I remembered last time I watched. Did you catch the
explicit references that tied this movie to the original?

>   This movie, OTOH, is quite enjoyable. Possibly one of the few
> sequels/reboots that is vastly better than the original.
>   I like that this one has quite a lot of humor - I especially love the
> scenes where Jack Black (channeling a "hot" teenage girl!) tries to
> teach Karen Gillan! (who is totally hott!) how to "flirt"! (These scenes
> are a riot - esp. Gillan!)
>   Anyway, this is a fun, funny "adventure" flick.
>   I have to say, Nick Jonas was in this quite a bit more than I was
> expecting.

There is also a sequel, "Next Level."

Based on a recommendation from someone in this group from a couple of
years ago, I watched:

Dick Tracy (blu-ray) 1990 movie based on the comic book character
starring Warren Beatty as Dick Tracy. Set in 1938, Dick Tracy goes up
against a colorful group of gangsters lead by Al Pacino. Madonna also
co-stars as the movie's eye candy and secondary villain. The movie
holds up well enough.

The Rocketeer (Disney+) 1991 movie based on the comic book character
starring Billy Campbell as The Rocketeer. Set in 1938, Campbell plays a
down on his luck pilot who stumbles upon a jet pack that he uses to
fight Nazis, who are being led by Timothy Dalton, while also saving his
would be girlfriend (Jennifer Connelly). I think I saw this once when
it came out and didn't like it. Now upon 30 years of reflection and a
second viewing, I still don't like it. Billy Campbell has *zero*
leading man charisma. Although Jennifer Connelly is of course excellent.

The Phantom (Amazon streaming) 1996 movie based on the comic book
character starring Billy Zane as The Phantom. Set in 1938, Zane is The
Ghost that Walks and must stop Treat Williams from whatever evil scheme
he has cooking wile chewing the scenery. The original Buffy the Vampire
Slayer co-stars as the love interest and a very young Catherine
Zeta-Jones co-stars as an evil henchwoman. I saw it once before and
didn't care for it. On this viewing I liked it a lot more. I think it
must have been all the scenery chewing. Although Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa
shows up at the end and the movie basically becomes a rip off of "The
Shadow."

The Shadow (blu-ray) 1994 movie based on the comic book character
starring Alec Baldwin as The Shadow. Set in the 1930s, The Shadow is a
Dark Knight with Jedi powers who has to stop the Last Emperor from
getting nuclear weapons and using them to conquer the world. Tim Curry
pops up to chew the scenery as only Tim Curry can. This is a criminally
underrated movie and holds up great. Although it could use a new print.

American Born Chinese (Disney+) - "Rockstar Status" - I would struggle
to try and recap this episode so I won't try. But Michelle Yeoh fights
the Bull Demon so that happened. And at the end the Bull Demon gets
hold of the magic staff which will allow him to wage war against
heaven/The Monkey king.

"Make a Splash" - Episode 4 which is mostly a flashback and done in the
style of a TV show. The flashback shows when the Monkey King and Bull
Demon were still friends and how the Monkey King came to power and their
friendship ended. I guess it was OK.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)

<507214412.707593356.223110.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188628&group=rec.arts.tv#188628

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 10:48:46 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 17:48 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-06-04 08:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Yesterday, I didn't really watch movies. Instead, I started to finish
> off "Titans"...:
>

> Titans (Max) - "Caul's Folly", "Dick & Carol & Ted & Kory", "Dude,
> Where’s My Gar?" (ep's #4.7-4.9).
> First, the show does look/sound pretty dang good in 4k/Dolby Atmos. FWIW.
> The first two episodes were just OK, I guess. We pick up where the
> first half of season #4 ended (not that I really remembered much...).
> Mother Mayhem and Brother Blood are after some horn that will open a
> portal for Trigon to come to our world.
> But thanks to some notes Lex Luthor left, the Titans know how to get
> for it first. But this leads to Dick, Kory and Rachel getting stuck in
> a town in some pocket universe where the horn is kept. Eventually, they
> get out (thanks to some help from Tim Drake and Bernard), but not
> before Mayhem and Blood get the horn. Later, Conner Luthor seems to
> want to conspire with Brother Blood, but I think it's a ruse to take
> him down by Conner's lonesome...
> The third episode of these was the "Gar" episode, and is also the
> one with all the cameos (like Stargirl) and explicitly ties the show in
> with the rest of the DCU. Anyway, thanks to "Freedom Beast" (who?!!),
> Gar is able to get back "our world", but only to the "Doom Patrol"
> crew?...

I had forgotten all about this show. Maybe this is why GOTHAM KNIGHTS had
to make up a new son of Batman.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)

<u5il99$1f3j$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188632&group=rec.arts.tv#188632

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 11:31:05 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 18:31 UTC

On 2023-06-04 17:44:41 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> On 6/4/2023 9:54 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> On 2023-06-04 08:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Yesterday, I didn't really watch movies. Instead, I started to finish
>> off "Titans"...:
>>
>> Titans (Max) - "Caul's Folly", "Dick & Carol & Ted & Kory", "Dude,
>> Where’s My Gar?" (ep's #4.7-4.9).
>>   First, the show does look/sound pretty dang good in 4k/Dolby Atmos. FWIW.
>>   The first two episodes were just OK, I guess. We pick up where the
>> first half of season #4 ended (not that I really remembered much...).
>
> Join the club. I'm starting the wonder if shows do this on purpose to
> hide continuity issues. If you don't remember it, you can't spot it.
>
>> Mother Mayhem and Brother Blood are after some horn that will open a
>> portal for Trigon to come to our world.
>>   But thanks to some notes Lex Luthor left, the Titans know how to get
>> for it first. But this leads to Dick, Kory and Rachel getting stuck in
>> a town in some pocket universe where the horn is kept. Eventually, they
>> get out (thanks to some help from Tim Drake and Bernard), but not
>> before Mayhem and Blood get the horn. Later, Conner Luthor seems to
>> want to conspire with Brother Blood, but I think it's a ruse to take
>> him down by Conner's lonesome...
>>   The third episode of these was the "Gar" episode, and is also the one
>> with all the cameos (like Stargirl) and explicitly ties the show in
>> with the rest of the DCU.
>
> The Flash already did that when they made a cameo during "Crisis."

Good point. Guess I forgot about that.

I wonder what Gunn is going to do with the DCU now - I get the
impression that everything up to now will still be "canon", but that
he's effectively going to "reboot" with new versions from the
"multiverse"....

> > Anyway, thanks to "Freedom Beast" (who?!!), Gar is
>> able to get back "our world", but only to the "Doom Patrol" crew?...
>>
>> Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (Hulu) - I really enjoyed this. I don't
>> remember much about the original "Jumanji" movie - I haven't seen it in
>> decades - but I remember not liking it much at all.
>
> I didn't care much for the original when it first came out, but it was
> better than I remembered last time I watched. Did you catch the
> explicit references that tied this movie to the original?

I haven't seen the original in decades, so I missed everything except
possibly a name reference to the first one.

I *may* go back and watch the original now (it looks like Peacock has it).

>>   This movie, OTOH, is quite enjoyable. Possibly one of the few
>> sequels/reboots that is vastly better than the original.
>>   I like that this one has quite a lot of humor - I especially love the
>> scenes where Jack Black (channeling a "hot" teenage girl!) tries to
>> teach Karen Gillan! (who is totally hott!) how to "flirt"! (These
>> scenes are a riot - esp. Gillan!)
>>   Anyway, this is a fun, funny "adventure" flick.
>>   I have to say, Nick Jonas was in this quite a bit more than I was expecting.
>
> There is also a sequel, "Next Level."

It's another flick locked up by Starz. (Nobody gets Starz!!)

> Based on a recommendation from someone in this group from a couple of
> years ago, I watched:
>
> Dick Tracy (blu-ray) 1990 movie based on the comic book character
> starring Warren Beatty as Dick Tracy. Set in 1938, Dick Tracy goes up
> against a colorful group of gangsters lead by Al Pacino. Madonna also
> co-stars as the movie's eye candy and secondary villain. The movie
> holds up well enough.

IIRC, I don't hate this movie. But it does have... problems.

> The Rocketeer (Disney+) 1991 movie based on the comic book character
> starring Billy Campbell as The Rocketeer. Set in 1938, Campbell plays
> a down on his luck pilot who stumbles upon a jet pack that he uses to
> fight Nazis, who are being led by Timothy Dalton, while also saving his
> would be girlfriend (Jennifer Connelly).

This is just OK, IIRC. but Connelly is gorgeous in it!

> The Phantom (Amazon streaming) 1996 movie based on the comic book
> character starring Billy Zane as The Phantom. Set in 1938, Zane is The
> Ghost that Walks and must stop Treat Williams from whatever evil scheme
> he has cooking wile chewing the scenery. The original Buffy the
> Vampire Slayer co-stars as the love interest and a very young Catherine
> Zeta-Jones co-stars as an evil henchwoman. I saw it once before and
> didn't care for it. On this viewing I liked it a lot more. I think it
> must have been all the scenery chewing. Although Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa
> shows up at the end and the movie basically becomes a rip off of "The
> Shadow."

I like this movie quite a bit. It's underrated.

> The Shadow (blu-ray) 1994 movie based on the comic book character
> starring Alec Baldwin as The Shadow. Set in the 1930s, The Shadow is a
> Dark Knight with Jedi powers who has to stop the Last Emperor from
> getting nuclear weapons and using them to conquer the world. Tim Curry
> pops up to chew the scenery as only Tim Curry can. This is a
> criminally underrated movie and holds up great. Although it could use
> a new print.

I *love* this movie. It's definitely underrated.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)

<u5imbo$1i6v$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188635&group=rec.arts.tv#188635

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 18:49:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 18:49 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> [...]
>down on his luck pilot who stumbles upon a jet pack that he uses to
>fight Nazis, who are being led by Timothy Dalton, while also saving his
>would be girlfriend (Jennifer Connelly). I think I saw this once when
>it came out and didn't like it. Now upon 30 years of reflection and a
>second viewing, I still don't like it. Billy Campbell has *zero*
>leading man charisma. Although Jennifer Connelly is of course excellent.
>

>The Phantom (Amazon streaming) 1996 movie based on the comic book
>character starring Billy Zane as The Phantom. Set in 1938, Zane is The
>Ghost that Walks and must stop Treat Williams from whatever evil scheme
>he has cooking wile chewing the scenery. The original Buffy the Vampire
>Slayer co-stars as the love interest and a very young Catherine
>Zeta-Jones co-stars as an evil henchwoman.

She's be in her late 20s. She'd been in movies for six years or so at
this point. I really do need to track down the Italian film 1001 Nights,
her debut, which tells the stories from Scheherazade's perspective,
which is not how a framing story for an anthology works, sigh.

But who agrees with me that the contract the writers negotiate for must
include a Scheherazade clause?

The director's obit in the Daily Telegraph sez that the film was best
remembered for its enjoyable nude scenes.

This is what I love about Italian movies from the early '70s. They don't
require captioning nor dubbing. The nudity was always enjoyable.

>I saw it once before and
>didn't care for it. On this viewing I liked it a lot more. I think it
>must have been all the scenery chewing. Although Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa
>shows up at the end and the movie basically becomes a rip off of "The
>Shadow."

>The Shadow (blu-ray) 1994 movie based on the comic book character
>starring Alec Baldwin as The Shadow.

Hold it. The Shadow WAS NOT a comic book character. He had his own pulp
magazine published by Street and Smith and was created by Walter B.
Gibson writing as Maxwell Grant.

Then he got a long-running radio program.

>Set in the 1930s, The Shadow is a
>Dark Knight with Jedi powers who has to stop the Last Emperor from
>getting nuclear weapons and using them to conquer the world.

'Cuz why stick with the original?

>Tim Curry pops up to chew the scenery as only Tim Curry can.

Yay!

>This is a criminally underrated movie and holds up great. Although it
>could use a new print.

There's a building there!

I like this movie mostly. anim despises it.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)

<u5iodj$1o5r$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188636&group=rec.arts.tv#188636

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 12:24:36 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 19:24 UTC

Stargate: SG-1 S6E03 'Descent'
"When SGC detects an Goa'uld ship in orbit, SG-1 is dispatched with
Jacob Carter to investigate. They find the ship to be abandoned with no
discernible life signs and Sam determines it to be the same used to
kidnap Thor. Once on board the Goa'uld vessel, they find that the crew
had initiated a self destruct sequence. O'Neill would very much like to
salvage the ship despite Jacob's warnings that it could be a Trojan
horse. An examination of the computer core reveals that Thor may have
been able to introduce a virus but Jacob was right: it's an ambush and
the ship soon plunges in the ocean. SGC and the Navy mount a rescue
operation."

Teal'c: The crew appears to have abandoned ship, General Hammond.
Major General George Hammond: That's good news. I don't mind telling you
we've all been holding our breath down here.
Teal'c: That is most unwise.
Major General George Hammond: [smiles] Yes, of course, Teal'c.

Jonas Quinn: Those of us who are not originally from the planet Earth
gotta stick together, right?
Teal'c: Are you suggesting an alien conspiracy?
(I note that after this line Jonas pulls a banana out of his coat to eat.)

Trivia: The character of Lt Dagwood is played by Stargate SG-1 (1997)
director Peter DeLuise, and is a tribute to the character he played
('Seaman Dagwood') in the TV series SeaQuest 2032 (1993).
The Goa'uld interior ship set is the completed version of the
partially-built set that O'Neill and Martin Lloyd hide from their
pursuers in at the studio in Wormhole X-Treme! (2001).

Wup! New opening credits. Now we get short shots of the leads
partially framed by artistic spinning Stargate bits.

Commentary: Peter DeLuise (director), Peter Woeste (DP) and Gary Jones
("Walter/Norman"). The cows that gave their stomachs to make the tripe
that Jacob wears were all from the Roswell area and voluntarily gave up
their stomachs because they were such big science fiction fans. O_o
Watch for coffee cup holders to appear in all future Gou'ald thrones.
Things go downhill from there.... One of the saner bits is the
discussion of how Gary Jones has no idea what his character's name is.
General Hammond calls him "Sergeant", RDA calls him "Walter", his name
tag says Norman and the script/credits call him "Technician".

What Did You Watch?

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)

<u5ir25$23pi$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188640&group=rec.arts.tv#188640

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 13:09:39 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 20:09 UTC

On 6/4/2023 12:24 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> Stargate: SG-1 S6E03 'Descent'
> "When SGC detects an Goa'uld ship in orbit, SG-1 is dispatched with
> Jacob Carter to investigate. They find the ship to be abandoned with no
> discernible life signs and Sam determines it to be the same used to
> kidnap Thor. Once on board the Goa'uld vessel, they find that the crew
> had initiated a self destruct sequence. O'Neill would very much like to
> salvage the ship despite Jacob's warnings that it could be a Trojan
> horse. An examination of the computer core reveals that Thor may have
> been able to introduce a virus but Jacob was right: it's an ambush and
> the ship soon plunges in the ocean. SGC and the Navy mount a rescue
> operation."

No replicators? No to be continued to deal with replicators?

> Teal'c: The crew appears to have abandoned ship, General Hammond.
> Major General George Hammond: That's good news. I don't mind telling you
> we've all been holding our breath down here.
> Teal'c: That is most unwise.
> Major General George Hammond: [smiles] Yes, of course, Teal'c.
>
> Jonas Quinn: Those of us who are not originally from the planet Earth
> gotta stick together, right?
> Teal'c: Are you suggesting an alien conspiracy?

I remember this bit very well.

> (I note that after this line Jonas pulls a banana out of his coat to eat.)
>
> Trivia: The character of Lt Dagwood is played by Stargate SG-1 (1997)
> director Peter DeLuise, and is a tribute to the character he played
> ('Seaman Dagwood') in the TV series SeaQuest 2032 (1993).

Cool!

> The Goa'uld interior ship set is the completed version of the
> partially-built set that O'Neill and Martin Lloyd hide from their
> pursuers in at the studio in Wormhole X-Treme! (2001).
>
> Wup!  New opening credits.  Now we get short shots of the leads
> partially framed by artistic spinning Stargate bits.
>

> Commentary: Peter DeLuise (director), Peter Woeste (DP) and Gary Jones
> ("Walter/Norman").  The cows that gave their stomachs to make the tripe
> that Jacob wears were all from the Roswell area and voluntarily gave up
> their stomachs because they were such big science fiction fans.  O_o
> Watch for coffee cup holders to appear in all future Gou'ald thrones.
> Things go downhill from there....  One of the saner bits is the
> discussion of how Gary Jones has no idea what his character's name is.
> General Hammond calls him "Sergeant", RDA calls him "Walter", his name
> tag says Norman and the script/credits call him "Technician".

RDA named him Walter...

> What Did You Watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)

<122144173.707601183.297598.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188643&group=rec.arts.tv#188643

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 13:38:27 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 20:38 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>> The Shadow (blu-ray) 1994 movie based on the comic book character
>> starring Alec Baldwin as The Shadow.
>
> Hold it. The Shadow WAS NOT a comic book character.

Except when he was. I agree he was other things before he was a comic book
character but he’s been a comic book character a lot of times starting with
the Archie version in the 1960s.

Hmm. Maybe further back than that. It seems there was a comic book written
by Gibson himself that started out re-printing newspaper strips. The
information here is somewhat foggy.

https://thelivingshadow.fandom.com/wiki/Shadow_Comics

Anyway, there have been shadow comic books, since before talentless hack
David Koepp was born. I don’t think there’s any doubt in any shadow
aficionados mind that Koepp based his 1994 travesty on the comic books.

He had his own pulp
> magazine published by Street and Smith and was created by Walter B.
> Gibson writing as Maxwell Grant.
>
> Then he got a long-running radio program.
>
>> Set in the 1930s, The Shadow is a
>> Dark Knight with Jedi powers who has to stop the Last Emperor from
>> getting nuclear weapons and using them to conquer the world.
>
> 'Cuz why stick with the original?
>
>> Tim Curry pops up to chew the scenery as only Tim Curry can.
>
> Yay!

Love Tim Curry. Worked with him. And with Orson Welles. And I roomed with
the guy who owns the hat. I’ve had breakfast with that hat!

>> This is a criminally underrated movie and holds up great. Although it
>> could use a new print.

Somebody should fog all our minds and make the print go away entirely. The
word criminal is appropriate though.

The best thing you can say about it is that it’s the worst shadow movie
ever made, and I’ve seen a lot of really bad shadow movies.

Like other terrible movies (Supergirl), it actually benefits from the
longer versions. The regular TV version cuts out the Empire State building
sequences entirely! Who makes a movie set in 1930s Manhattan and cuts out
the Empire State building?

Well, other than George Pal.

Why is Penelope Ann Miller in a completely different movie than the rest of
the cast?

Criminal waste of Jonathan Winters.

If your face actually morphs into Basil Rathbone (at least from the nose
down), why do you put a scarf over the disguised part leaving only the
undisguised part for the witnesses to see? I’d do it the other way around
and wear a Zorro mask and let people see Basil Rathbone and tell the cops
that the guy they saw definitely wasn’t me!

> There's a building there!

One good moment.

> I like this movie mostly. anim despises it.

Yes. David Koepp is an incompetent hack. He’s everything that’s wrong with
Jurassic Park and Mission impossible. He thought having Indiana Jones hide
from an atomic explosion in the refrigerator was a great idea. He’s the guy
that had you reverse the effects of an EMP by swapping out solenoids. He
ruined a Spider-Man movie. And of course the shadow. For god sake‘s, he got
the guys real identity wrong!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)

<u5iuf5$2fl9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188644&group=rec.arts.tv#188644

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 14:07:38 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 21:07 UTC

On 6/4/2023 1:38 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> The Shadow (blu-ray) 1994 movie based on the comic book character
>>> starring Alec Baldwin as The Shadow.
>>
>> Hold it. The Shadow WAS NOT a comic book character.
>
> Except when he was. I agree he was other things before he was a comic book
> character but he’s been a comic book character a lot of times starting with
> the Archie version in the 1960s.
>
> Hmm. Maybe further back than that. It seems there was a comic book written
> by Gibson himself that started out re-printing newspaper strips. The
> information here is somewhat foggy.
>
> https://thelivingshadow.fandom.com/wiki/Shadow_Comics
>
> Anyway, there have been shadow comic books, since before talentless hack
> David Koepp was born. I don’t think there’s any doubt in any shadow
> aficionados mind that Koepp based his 1994 travesty on the comic books.
>

> He had his own pulp
>> magazine published by Street and Smith and was created by Walter B.
>> Gibson writing as Maxwell Grant.
>>
>> Then he got a long-running radio program.
>>
>>> Set in the 1930s, The Shadow is a
>>> Dark Knight with Jedi powers who has to stop the Last Emperor from
>>> getting nuclear weapons and using them to conquer the world.
>>
>> 'Cuz why stick with the original?
>>
>>> Tim Curry pops up to chew the scenery as only Tim Curry can.
>>
>> Yay!
>
> Love Tim Curry. Worked with him. And with Orson Welles. And I roomed with
> the guy who owns the hat. I’ve had breakfast with that hat!
>

>>> This is a criminally underrated movie and holds up great. Although it
>>> could use a new print.
>
> Somebody should fog all our minds and make the print go away entirely. The
> word criminal is appropriate though.
>
> The best thing you can say about it is that it’s the worst shadow movie
> ever made, and I’ve seen a lot of really bad shadow movies.

I had *no* idea there were other Shadow movies! Although I guess it's
really not that surprising. I'm sure during the time of the original
release they must have mentioned earlier versions and I guess I forgot.

> Like other terrible movies (Supergirl), it actually benefits from the
> longer versions. The regular TV version cuts out the Empire State building
> sequences entirely! Who makes a movie set in 1930s Manhattan and cuts out
> the Empire State building?
>
> Well, other than George Pal.
>
> Why is Penelope Ann Miller in a completely different movie than the rest of
> the cast?
>
> Criminal waste of Jonathan Winters.

He was wasted. I wonder if he had more scenes that were cut.

> If your face actually morphs into Basil Rathbone (at least from the nose
> down), why do you put a scarf over the disguised part leaving only the
> undisguised part for the witnesses to see? I’d do it the other way around
> and wear a Zorro mask and let people see Basil Rathbone and tell the cops
> that the guy they saw definitely wasn’t me!
>

>> There's a building there!
>
> One good moment.
>

>> I like this movie mostly. anim despises it.
>>

> Yes. David Koepp is an incompetent hack. He’s everything that’s wrong with
> Jurassic Park and Mission impossible. He thought having Indiana Jones hide
> from an atomic explosion in the refrigerator was a great idea. He’s the guy
> that had you reverse the effects of an EMP by swapping out solenoids. He
> ruined a Spider-Man movie. And of course the shadow. For god sake‘s, he got
> the guys real identity wrong!

It's not Lamont Cranston?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)

<7qvp7i9mhui55e42a1nlmc77bckb5q4f6k@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188646&group=rec.arts.tv#188646

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2023 17:19:18 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 21:19 UTC

On Sun, 4 Jun 2023 18:49:29 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>The Phantom (Amazon streaming) 1996 movie based on the comic book
>>character starring Billy Zane as The Phantom. Set in 1938, Zane is The
>>Ghost that Walks and must stop Treat Williams from whatever evil scheme
>>he has cooking wile chewing the scenery. The original Buffy the Vampire
>>Slayer co-stars as the love interest and a very young Catherine
>>Zeta-Jones co-stars as an evil henchwoman.
>
>She's be in her late 20s. She'd been in movies for six years or so at
>this point. I really do need to track down the Italian film 1001 Nights,
>her debut, which tells the stories from Scheherazade's perspective,
>which is not how a framing story for an anthology works, sigh.

Thanks for the suggestion. She really was quite lovely back then. I
much prefer the segments when she wasn't made up as she had perfect
natural looks. You can get a taste of it here:
Les 1001 nuits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LljgcKCdnNM

>But who agrees with me that the contract the writers negotiate for must
>include a Scheherazade clause?
>
>The director's obit in the Daily Telegraph sez that the film was best
>remembered for its enjoyable nude scenes.
>
>This is what I love about Italian movies from the early '70s. They don't
>require captioning nor dubbing. The nudity was always enjoyable.

I can believe that.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)

<h60q7i1ghkic31ao6d44vlttokrfc4q0up@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188647&group=rec.arts.tv#188647

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2023 17:25:42 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 21:25 UTC

On Sun, 04 Jun 2023 17:19:18 -0400, shawn
<nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 4 Jun 2023 18:49:29 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
><ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>>Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>>The Phantom (Amazon streaming) 1996 movie based on the comic book
>>>character starring Billy Zane as The Phantom. Set in 1938, Zane is The
>>>Ghost that Walks and must stop Treat Williams from whatever evil scheme
>>>he has cooking wile chewing the scenery. The original Buffy the Vampire
>>>Slayer co-stars as the love interest and a very young Catherine
>>>Zeta-Jones co-stars as an evil henchwoman.
>>
>>She's be in her late 20s. She'd been in movies for six years or so at
>>this point. I really do need to track down the Italian film 1001 Nights,
>>her debut, which tells the stories from Scheherazade's perspective,
>>which is not how a framing story for an anthology works, sigh.
>

>Thanks for the suggestion. She really was quite lovely back then. I
>much prefer the segments when she wasn't made up as she had perfect
>natural looks. You can get a taste of it here:
>Les 1001 nuits
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LljgcKCdnNM

As usual I have an idea shortly after posting that proves productive.
You can find the full movie here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEEcsg7fvgc
which includes the NSFI (not safe for Ian) nudity. What makes it even
better is that if you want to actually watch the movie instead of it
being solely in French, you can turn on the auto translation. Which
while certainly not perfect is better than watching a movie in some
language you don't understand.

>>But who agrees with me that the contract the writers negotiate for must
>>include a Scheherazade clause?
>>
>>The director's obit in the Daily Telegraph sez that the film was best
>>remembered for its enjoyable nude scenes.
>>
>>This is what I love about Italian movies from the early '70s. They don't
>>require captioning nor dubbing. The nudity was always enjoyable.
>
>I can believe that.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)

<u5ivoi$2jff$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188648&group=rec.arts.tv#188648

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 14:29:54 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 21:29 UTC

On 2023-06-04 21:25:42 +0000, shawn said:

> On Sun, 04 Jun 2023 17:19:18 -0400, shawn
> <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 4 Jun 2023 18:49:29 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
>> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>> She's be in her late 20s. She'd been in movies for six years or so at
>>> this point. I really do need to track down the Italian film 1001 Nights,
>>> her debut, which tells the stories from Scheherazade's perspective,
>>> which is not how a framing story for an anthology works, sigh.
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion. She really was quite lovely back then. I
>> much prefer the segments when she wasn't made up as she had perfect
>> natural looks. You can get a taste of it here:
>> Les 1001 nuits
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LljgcKCdnNM
>
> As usual I have an idea shortly after posting that proves productive.
> You can find the full movie here:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEEcsg7fvgc
> which includes the NSFI (not safe for Ian) nudity. What makes it even
> better is that if you want to actually watch the movie instead of it
> being solely in French, you can turn on the auto translation. Which
> while certainly not perfect is better than watching a movie in some
> language you don't understand.

French is the only language I can half-understand. Even German is
totally lost to me now. I've made a little bit of progress with
Spanish, but not enough to actually understand it.

>>> But who agrees with me that the contract the writers negotiate for must
>>> include a Scheherazade clause?
>>>
>>> The director's obit in the Daily Telegraph sez that the film was best
>>> remembered for its enjoyable nude scenes.
>>>
>>> This is what I love about Italian movies from the early '70s. They don't
>>> require captioning nor dubbing. The nudity was always enjoyable.
>>
>> I can believe that.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)

<2030232726.707606011.535642.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188650&group=rec.arts.tv#188650

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 14:35:02 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 21:35 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 6/4/2023 1:38 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>> Hold it. The Shadow WAS NOT a comic book character.
>>
>> Except when he was. I agree he was other things before he was a comic book
>> character but he’s been a comic book character a lot of times starting with
>> the Archie version in the 1960s.
>>
>> Hmm. Maybe further back than that. It seems there was a comic book written
>> by Gibson himself that started out re-printing newspaper strips. The
>> information here is somewhat foggy.
>>
>> https://thelivingshadow.fandom.com/wiki/Shadow_Comics
>>
>> Anyway, there have been shadow comic books, since before talentless hack
>> David Koepp was born. I don’t think there’s any doubt in any shadow
>> aficionados mind that Koepp based his 1994 travesty on the comic books.
>>

>> He had his own pulp
>>> magazine published by Street and Smith and was created by Walter B.
>>> Gibson writing as Maxwell Grant.
>>>
>>> Then he got a long-running radio program.

>>> 'Cuz why stick with the original?

>>> Yay!
>>
>> Love Tim Curry. Worked with him. And with Orson Welles. And I roomed with
>> the guy who owns the hat. I’ve had breakfast with that hat!

>> Somebody should fog all our minds and make the print go away entirely. The
>> word criminal is appropriate though.
>>
>> The best thing you can say about it is that it’s the worst shadow movie
>> ever made, and I’ve seen a lot of really bad shadow movies.
>>

> I had *no* idea there were other Shadow movies! Although I guess it's
> really not that surprising. I'm sure during the time of the original
> release they must have mentioned earlier versions and I guess I forgot.

Oh, yeah, there’s lots of them. The first or second stars the guy who
played Randall in WHEN WORLDS, COLLIDE!
In some, he has powers, and some he doesn’t, he’s just a private detective,
there’s one where he’s actually the guy that does the radio show, but he is
the shadow as well!

>> Like other terrible movies (Supergirl), it actually benefits from the
>> longer versions. The regular TV version cuts out the Empire State building
>> sequences entirely! Who makes a movie set in 1930s Manhattan and cuts out
>> the Empire State building?
>>
>> Well, other than George Pal.
>>
>> Why is Penelope Ann Miller in a completely different movie than the rest of
>> the cast?
>>
>> Criminal waste of Jonathan Winters.
>>

> He was wasted. I wonder if he had more scenes that were cut.
>
>> If your face actually morphs into Basil Rathbone (at least from the nose
>> down), why do you put a scarf over the disguised part leaving only the
>> undisguised part for the witnesses to see? I’d do it the other way around
>> and wear a Zorro mask and let people see Basil Rathbone and tell the cops
>> that the guy they saw definitely wasn’t me!
>>

>>> There's a building there!
>>
>> One good moment.
>>

>>> I like this movie mostly. anim despises it.
>>>

>> Yes. David Koepp is an incompetent hack. He’s everything that’s wrong with
>> Jurassic Park and Mission impossible. He thought having Indiana Jones hide
>> from an atomic explosion in the refrigerator was a great idea. He’s the guy
>> that had you reverse the effects of an EMP by swapping out solenoids. He
>> ruined a Spider-Man movie. And of course the shadow. For god sake‘s, he got
>> the guys real identity wrong!
>>

> It's not Lamont Cranston?

Nope! It is (presumably) Kent Allard. There is a real Lamont Cranston and
Allard paid him to take a trip around the world or something and assumed
his identity. Allard has similar deals with other people. Sometimes said
deals aren’t voluntary!

The 1994 movie gets the fact that there is a deeper identity right but then
gets the name wrong!

Here’s the information on the shadow in the silver screen from Ian’s
Wikipedia article. Sorry it wouldn’t let me pull a link to just the
section:

Films

The Shadow character has been adapted for film shorts and films.

Shadow film shorts (1931–1932)
In 1931 and 1932, Bryan Foy Productions created and Universal Pictures
distributed a series of six film shorts based on the popular Detective
Story Hour radio program, narrated by The Shadow. The shorts featured the
voice of Frank Readick Jr., who portrayed The Shadow on the radio program.
The six films are: A Burglar to the Rescue (© July 22, 1931), Trapped (©
Sep. 21, 1931), Sealed Lips (© Oct. 30, 1931), House of Mystery (© Dec. 11,
1931), The Red Shadow (© Jan. 12, 1932), and The Circus Show-Up (© Jan. 27,
1932).

The Shadow Strikes (1937)
The film The Shadow Strikes was released in 1937, starring Rod La Rocque in
the title role. Lamont Granston (as his name was spelled in both opening
credits and a newspaper article) assumes the secret identity of "The
Shadow" in order to thwart an attempted robbery at an attorney's office.
Both The Shadow Strikes (1937) and its sequel, International Crime (1938),
were released by Grand National Pictures.

International Crime (1938)
La Rocque returned the following year in International Crime. In this
version, reporter Lamont Cranston (despite being spelled Granston in the
previous film) is an amateur criminologist and detective who uses the name
of "The Shadow" as a radio gimmick. Thomas Jackson portrayed Police
Commissioner Weston, and Astrid Allwyn was cast as Phoebe Lane, Cranston's
assistant.

The Shadow (1940)
The Shadow, a 15-chapter movie serial, produced by Columbia Pictures and
starring Victor Jory, premiered in theaters in 1940. The serial's villain,
The Black Tiger, is a criminal mastermind who sabotages rail lines and
factories across the United States. Lamont Cranston must become his shadowy
alter ego in order to unmask the criminal and halt his fiendish crime
spree. As The Shadow, Jory wears an all-black suit and cloak, as well as a
black bandana that helps conceal his facial features.

The Shadow Returns, Behind the Mask, and Missing Lady (1946)
Low-budget motion picture studio Monogram Pictures produced a trio of
quickie Shadow B-movie features in 1946 starring Kane Richmond: The Shadow
Returns (© Jan. 31, 1946), Behind the Mask (© April 1, 1946) and The
Missing Lady (© July 20, 1946). Richmond's Shadow wore all black, including
a trench coat, a wide-brimmed fedora, and a full face-mask similar to the
type worn by movie serial hero The Masked Marvel, instead of the
character's signature black cape with red lining and red scarf.

Invisible Avenger (1958)
Episodes of a television pilot shot in 1957 were edited into the 1958
theatrical feature Invisible Avenger, rereleased in 1962 as Bourbon Street
Shadows.

The Shadow (1994)

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)

<040620231754508611%nope@noway.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188653&group=rec.arts.tv#188653

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2023 17:54:50 -0400
 by: A Friend - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 21:54 UTC

In article
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> The Shadow character has been adapted for film shorts and films.
>
> Shadow film shorts (1931­1932)
> In 1931 and 1932, Bryan Foy Productions created and Universal Pictures
> distributed a series of six film shorts based on the popular Detective
> Story Hour radio program, narrated by The Shadow. The shorts featured the
> voice of Frank Readick Jr., who portrayed The Shadow on the radio program.
> The six films are: A Burglar to the Rescue (© July 22, 1931), Trapped (©
> Sep. 21, 1931), Sealed Lips (© Oct. 30, 1931), House of Mystery (© Dec. 11,
> 1931), The Red Shadow (© Jan. 12, 1932), and The Circus Show-Up (© Jan. 27,
> 1932).
>
> The Shadow Strikes (1937)
> The film The Shadow Strikes was released in 1937, starring Rod La Rocque in
> the title role. Lamont Granston (as his name was spelled in both opening
> credits and a newspaper article) assumes the secret identity of "The
> Shadow" in order to thwart an attempted robbery at an attorney's office.
> Both The Shadow Strikes (1937) and its sequel, International Crime (1938),
> were released by Grand National Pictures.

When I was a kid in the early '60s, there was a Lamont Cranston in the
Manhattan phone book. I really should have called.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)

<416420440.707607598.773784.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188654&group=rec.arts.tv#188654

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 15:03:45 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 22:03 UTC

> On Sun, 04 Jun 2023 17:19:18 -0400, shawn
> <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 4 Jun 2023 18:49:29 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
>> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>> She's be in her late 20s. She'd been in movies for six years or so at
>>> this point. I really do need to track down the Italian film 1001 Nights,
>>> her debut, which tells the stories from Scheherazade's perspective,
>>> which is not how a framing story for an anthology works, sigh.
>>

>> Thanks for the suggestion. She really was quite lovely back then. I
>> much prefer the segments when she wasn't made up as she had perfect
>> natural looks. You can get a taste of it here:
>> Les 1001 nuits
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LljgcKCdnNM
>
> As usual I have an idea shortly after posting that proves productive.
> You can find the full movie here:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEEcsg7fvgc
> which includes the NSFI (not safe for Ian) nudity. What makes it even
> better is that if you want to actually watch the movie instead of it
> being solely in French, you can turn on the auto translation. Which
> while certainly not perfect is better than watching a movie in some
> language you don't understand.

Very cool, thanks!

>>> But who agrees with me that the contract the writers negotiate for must
>>> include a Scheherazade clause?
>>>
>>> The director's obit in the Daily Telegraph sez that the film was best
>>> remembered for its enjoyable nude scenes.
>>>
>>> This is what I love about Italian movies from the early '70s. They don't
>>> require captioning nor dubbing. The nudity was always enjoyable.
>>
>> I can believe that.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)

<129129507.707607657.700081.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188655&group=rec.arts.tv#188655

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 15:03:46 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 22:03 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 6/4/2023 9:54 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> On 2023-06-04 08:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Yesterday, I didn't really watch movies. Instead, I started to finish
>> off "Titans"...:
>>

> Based on a recommendation from someone in this group from a couple of
> years ago, I watched:
>

> Dick Tracy (blu-ray) 1990 movie based on the comic book character
> starring Warren Beatty as Dick Tracy. Set in 1938, Dick Tracy goes up
> against a colorful group of gangsters lead by Al Pacino. Madonna also
> co-stars as the movie's eye candy and secondary villain. The movie
> holds up well enough.

Wasn’t me. I saw it once, theatrically, and never looked back. Of course, I
am from the era when Dick Tracy had spaceships (the country that controls
magnetism will control the world!) And moon meds.

Beatty was a complete power-hungry mad control freak. He screwed over the
guys doing the comic books by picking something like five images of him and
telling them those were the only ones they could use. They just had to copy
paste them. They couldn’t draw a new one. I’ve had clients do that to me.
It’s maddening.

> The Rocketeer (Disney+) 1991 movie based on the comic book character
> starring Billy Campbell as The Rocketeer. Set in 1938,

Not only 1938, October 1938 IIRC. Most movies set in the era could take
place anywhere in a decade wide span but you can tell what freaking day the
Rocketeer happened!

Campbell plays a
> down on his luck pilot who stumbles upon a jet pack that he uses to
> fight Nazis, who are being led by Timothy Dalton, while also saving his
> would be girlfriend (Jennifer Connelly). I think I saw this once when
> it came out and didn't like it. Now upon 30 years of reflection and a
> second viewing, I still don't like it. Billy Campbell has *zero*
> leading man charisma. Although Jennifer Connelly is of course excellent.

It’s amazing they accomplished what they did. Katzenberg was running
operations for Disney and he’s an idiot. He hated the Rocketeer outfit and
wanted him to wear the plain white crash helmet that the bell rocket belt
people would wear in the 1960s. The Director had to go personally to Eisner
on that one. He spent much of his time. Fighting Disney execs and legal.
They wouldn’t let him call. Betty Betty, he had to rename her Jenny just in
case Betty page was alive out there somewhere. They wouldn’t let him just
find her and give her 10 bucks and have her promote the movie. When
interviewed for I believe it was starlog magazine, on the set and asked if
he was looking forward to doing his contractually mandated sequels Joe
Johnston said, on the sat, for the record, that he would fake his own death
before he would work for Katzenberg again.

They made him take the edge off everything. They cut doc savage the
inventor of the rocket belt, but I think Howard Hughes and the casting of
him were brilliant replacements. PV is supposed to be a cranky old man. I
think Lloyd Bridges would’ve been amazing. Jenny, of course wasn’t saucy
anymore. Such a waste! A friend of mine haunted eBay, buying prototype toys
then ended up, never getting out the market and gave me a huge box of them
that Christmas. :-)

> The Phantom (Amazon streaming) 1996 movie based on the comic book
> character starring Billy Zane as The Phantom. Set in 1938, Zane is The
> Ghost that Walks and must stop Treat Williams from whatever evil scheme
> he has cooking wile chewing the scenery. The original Buffy the Vampire
> Slayer co-stars as the love interest and a very young Catherine
> Zeta-Jones co-stars as an evil henchwoman. I saw it once before and
> didn't care for it. On this viewing I liked it a lot more. I think it
> must have been all the scenery chewing. Although Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa
> shows up at the end and the movie basically becomes a rip off of "The
> Shadow."

The critics savaged the Phantom. I couldn’t get anybody to go with me.
Consequently, I didn’t see it till it came out on laser disk and even then
I had trouble getting people to watch it! I know lots and lots of people
who will tell you how horrid it is, but I’ve never met anyone who’s
actually watched it that will tell you that. That’s not a challenge people.

Billy Zane is sillier than you’d expect, but he makes it work. He had to
shave his head for the costume so when you see him with hair as kit, it’s a
wig! A lot of good casting. Patrick McGoohan! Skull cave looks terrible on
the outside. But Hero! Devil! I love the sequence transferring from the
plane to the horse!

Here’s something to ponder. Treat Williams brings two of the skulls
together. And they shoot a destructive beam at the nearest map, showing
where the third skull is. What would’ve happened if he brought the skulls
together someplace that there wasn’t a map? Or that they were a whole bunch
of innocent bystanders between him and the nearest map?

Slam evil!

> American Born Chinese (Disney+) - "Rockstar Status" - I would struggle
> to try and recap this episode so I won't try. But Michelle Yeoh fights
> the Bull Demon so that happened. And at the end the Bull Demon gets
> hold of the magic staff which will allow him to wage war against
> heaven/The Monkey king.

Disney is desperately trying to shovel this down my throat.

> "Make a Splash" - Episode 4 which is mostly a flashback and done in the
> style of a TV show. The flashback shows when the Monkey King and Bull
> Demon were still friends and how the Monkey King came to power and their
> friendship ended. I guess it was OK.

That reminds me, I need to finish legend of the monkey king before I get
rid of the Netflix.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)

<u5j325$2ulj$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188657&group=rec.arts.tv#188657

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 22:26:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 22:26 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>>Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>>The Shadow (blu-ray) 1994 movie based on the comic book character
>>>starring Alec Baldwin as The Shadow.

>>Hold it. The Shadow WAS NOT a comic book character.

>Except when he was. I agree he was other things before he was a comic book
>character but he’s been a comic book character a lot of times starting with
>the Archie version in the 1960s.

A comic book character originated in comic books. The Shadow was pulp
fiction. I am aware there was a comic book when it was a radio program.
I also believe there was a movie serial. I don't recall a tv series.

>Hmm. Maybe further back than that. It seems there was a comic book written
>by Gibson himself that started out re-printing newspaper strips. The
>information here is somewhat foggy.

>https://thelivingshadow.fandom.com/wiki/Shadow_Comics

>Anyway, there have been shadow comic books, since before talentless hack
>David Koepp was born. I don’t think there’s any doubt in any shadow
>aficionados mind that Koepp based his 1994 travesty on the comic books.

Never looked at those.

>. . .

>Somebody should fog all our minds and make the print go away entirely. The
>word criminal is appropriate though.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

>. . .

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)

<u5j366$2ulj$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188658&group=rec.arts.tv#188658

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 22:28:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 22:28 UTC

>>. . .

>As usual I have an idea shortly after posting that proves productive.
>You can find the full movie here:

Thamk you very much.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)

<u5j3qv$2ulj$5@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188660&group=rec.arts.tv#188660

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 22:39:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 22:39 UTC

A Friend <A Friend> wrote:
>In article
><2030232726.707606011.535642.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
>anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> The Shadow character has been adapted for film shorts and films.
>>
>> Shadow film shorts (1931�1932)
>> In 1931 and 1932, Bryan Foy Productions created and Universal Pictures
>> distributed a series of six film shorts based on the popular Detective
>> Story Hour radio program, narrated by The Shadow. The shorts featured the
>> voice of Frank Readick Jr., who portrayed The Shadow on the radio program.
>> The six films are: A Burglar to the Rescue (� July 22, 1931), Trapped (�
>> Sep. 21, 1931), Sealed Lips (� Oct. 30, 1931), House of Mystery (� Dec. 11,
>> 1931), The Red Shadow (� Jan. 12, 1932), and The Circus Show-Up (� Jan. 27,
>> 1932).
>>
>> The Shadow Strikes (1937)
>> The film The Shadow Strikes was released in 1937, starring Rod La Rocque in
>> the title role. Lamont Granston (as his name was spelled in both opening
>> credits and a newspaper article) assumes the secret identity of "The
>> Shadow" in order to thwart an attempted robbery at an attorney's office.
>> Both The Shadow Strikes (1937) and its sequel, International Crime (1938),
>> were released by Grand National Pictures.
>

>When I was a kid in the early '60s, there was a Lamont Cranston in the
>Manhattan phone book. I really should have called.

You did call. There is a reason you cannot remember doing so.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)

<bb5q7i9ac9q0j3i0oubqv4seiq2sige6rc@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188661&group=rec.arts.tv#188661

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2023 18:51:34 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 22:51 UTC

On Sun, 4 Jun 2023 22:28:22 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>
>>>. . .
>
>>As usual I have an idea shortly after posting that proves productive.
>>You can find the full movie here:
>
>Thamk you very much.

You are quite welcome.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)

<u5j6qg$3ar3$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188666&group=rec.arts.tv#188666

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 16:30:27 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 23:30 UTC

On 6/4/2023 1:09 PM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> On 6/4/2023 12:24 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> Stargate: SG-1 S6E03 'Descent'
>> "When SGC detects an Goa'uld ship in orbit, SG-1 is dispatched with
>> Jacob Carter to investigate. They find the ship to be abandoned with
>> no discernible life signs and Sam determines it to be the same used to
>> kidnap Thor. Once on board the Goa'uld vessel, they find that the crew
>> had initiated a self destruct sequence. O'Neill would very much like
>> to salvage the ship despite Jacob's warnings that it could be a Trojan
>> horse. An examination of the computer core reveals that Thor may have
>> been able to introduce a virus but Jacob was right: it's an ambush and
>> the ship soon plunges in the ocean. SGC and the Navy mount a rescue
>> operation."
>>

> No replicators?  No to be continued to deal with replicators?

No replicators. And now I'm wondering it the Gou'ald and the
Replicators ever interacted with each other in the show.

>> Teal'c: The crew appears to have abandoned ship, General Hammond.
>> Major General George Hammond: That's good news. I don't mind telling
>> you we've all been holding our breath down here.
>> Teal'c: That is most unwise.
>> Major General George Hammond: [smiles] Yes, of course, Teal'c.
>>
>> Jonas Quinn: Those of us who are not originally from the planet Earth
>> gotta stick together, right?
>> Teal'c: Are you suggesting an alien conspiracy?
>
> I remember this bit very well.
>
>> (I note that after this line Jonas pulls a banana out of his coat to
>> eat.)
>>
>> Trivia: The character of Lt Dagwood is played by Stargate SG-1 (1997)
>> director Peter DeLuise, and is a tribute to the character he played
>> ('Seaman Dagwood') in the TV series SeaQuest 2032 (1993).
>
> Cool!
>

>> The Goa'uld interior ship set is the completed version of the
>> partially-built set that O'Neill and Martin Lloyd hide from their
>> pursuers in at the studio in Wormhole X-Treme! (2001).
>>
>> Wup!  New opening credits.  Now we get short shots of the leads
>> partially framed by artistic spinning Stargate bits.
>>

>> Commentary: Peter DeLuise (director), Peter Woeste (DP) and Gary Jones
>> ("Walter/Norman").  The cows that gave their stomachs to make the
>> tripe that Jacob wears were all from the Roswell area and voluntarily
>> gave up their stomachs because they were such big science fiction
>> fans.  O_o Watch for coffee cup holders to appear in all future
>> Gou'ald thrones. Things go downhill from there....  One of the saner
>> bits is the discussion of how Gary Jones has no idea what his
>> character's name is. General Hammond calls him "Sergeant", RDA calls
>> him "Walter", his name tag says Norman and the script/credits call him
>> "Technician".
>>
> RDA named him Walter...

RDA couldn't remember the character's name in the script according to
the commentary for '2010', so he used "Walter". His hesitation before
saying it in that episode wasn't part of the script, it was real as he
realized he'd forgotten his line.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)

<1321140679.707614956.425928.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188670&group=rec.arts.tv#188670

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 17:01:05 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 00:01 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> A Friend <A Friend> wrote:
>> In article
>> <2030232726.707606011.535642.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
>> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>> The Shadow character has been adapted for film shorts and films.
>>>
>>> Shadow film shorts (1931­1932)
>>> In 1931 and 1932, Bryan Foy Productions created and Universal Pictures
>>> distributed a series of six film shorts based on the popular Detective
>>> Story Hour radio program, narrated by The Shadow. The shorts featured the
>>> voice of Frank Readick Jr., who portrayed The Shadow on the radio program.
>>> The six films are: A Burglar to the Rescue (© July 22, 1931), Trapped (©
>>> Sep. 21, 1931), Sealed Lips (© Oct. 30, 1931), House of Mystery (© Dec. 11,
>>> 1931), The Red Shadow (© Jan. 12, 1932), and The Circus Show-Up (© Jan. 27,
>>> 1932).
>>>
>>> The Shadow Strikes (1937)
>>> The film The Shadow Strikes was released in 1937, starring Rod La Rocque in
>>> the title role. Lamont Granston (as his name was spelled in both opening
>>> credits and a newspaper article) assumes the secret identity of "The
>>> Shadow" in order to thwart an attempted robbery at an attorney's office.
>>> Both The Shadow Strikes (1937) and its sequel, International Crime (1938),
>>> were released by Grand National Pictures.
>>

>> When I was a kid in the early '60s, there was a Lamont Cranston in the
>> Manhattan phone book. I really should have called.
>
> You did call. There is a reason you cannot remember doing so.

Lol

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-03 (Saturday)

<u5jd0m$3ssc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188680&group=rec.arts.tv#188680

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 18:16:06 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 01:16 UTC

On 6/4/2023 4:30 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 6/4/2023 1:09 PM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
>> On 6/4/2023 12:24 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>>> Stargate: SG-1 S6E03 'Descent'
>>> "When SGC detects an Goa'uld ship in orbit, SG-1 is dispatched with
>>> Jacob Carter to investigate. They find the ship to be abandoned with
>>> no discernible life signs and Sam determines it to be the same used
>>> to kidnap Thor. Once on board the Goa'uld vessel, they find that the
>>> crew had initiated a self destruct sequence. O'Neill would very much
>>> like to salvage the ship despite Jacob's warnings that it could be a
>>> Trojan horse. An examination of the computer core reveals that Thor
>>> may have been able to introduce a virus but Jacob was right: it's an
>>> ambush and the ship soon plunges in the ocean. SGC and the Navy mount
>>> a rescue operation."
>>>

>> No replicators?  No to be continued to deal with replicators?
>>
> No replicators.  And now I'm wondering it the Gou'ald and the
> Replicators ever interacted with each other in the show.

I have a vague memory of a shot of a Gou'ald (I want to say Apophis, but
it couldn't have been him) encountering the replicators, his Jaffa fire
at them to no effect, then he calmly, but briskly walks out of the room.
But I must be misremembering it and it must have been something other
than replicators.

I think this is also why I was expecting the replicators in this
episode. I thought they took over the Gou'ald ship and crashed it in
the ocean. But that must have been Thor's ship in the earlier episode.