"It's today!" said Piglet. "My favorite day," said Pooh.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: News: DGA (Directors, etc.) Reach a Tentative Contract Deal

SubjectAuthor
* News: DGA (Directors, etc.) Reach a Tentative Contract DealIan J. Ball
+- Re: News: DGA (Directors, etc.) Reach a Tentative Contract Dealshawn
`* Re: News: DGA (Directors, etc.) Reach a Tentative Contract DealAdam H. Kerman
 +* Re: News: DGA (Directors, etc.) Reach a Tentative Contract DealDimensional Traveler
 |`* Re: News: DGA (Directors, etc.) Reach a Tentative Contract DealAdam H. Kerman
 | +- Re: News: DGA (Directors, etc.) Reach a Tentative Contract DealDimensional Traveler
 | `- Re: News: DGA (Directors, etc.) Reach a Tentative Contract Dealanim8rfsk
 `- Re: News: DGA (Directors, etc.) Reach a Tentative Contract Dealanim8rfsk

1
News: DGA (Directors, etc.) Reach a Tentative Contract Deal

<u5iuq8$2gm6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188645&group=rec.arts.tv#188645

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: News: DGA (Directors, etc.) Reach a Tentative Contract Deal
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 14:13:44 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 21:13 UTC

As per Deadline:

https://deadline.com/2023/06/directors-hollywood-studios-reach-deal-new-contract-1235399542/

While it seems like a good deal, it also seems like the DGA totally
caved on getting actually ratings data from the streamers. Which seems
kind of dumb to me.

No idea if this helps, hurts, or makes no difference with the WGA strike.

Re: News: DGA (Directors, etc.) Reach a Tentative Contract Deal

<fb0q7il5617bf0i2hvk8kmhoa5kcekitec@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188649&group=rec.arts.tv#188649

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2023 17:31:34 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 21:31 UTC

On Sun, 4 Jun 2023 14:13:44 -0700, Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>As per Deadline:
>
>https://deadline.com/2023/06/directors-hollywood-studios-reach-deal-new-contract-1235399542/
>

>While it seems like a good deal, it also seems like the DGA totally
>caved on getting actually ratings data from the streamers. Which seems
>kind of dumb to me.
>
>No idea if this helps, hurts, or makes no difference with the WGA strike.

It certainly doesn't help the WGA strike and as pointed out in the
article, may weaken their strike as it apparently did back in 2008.
Certainly the DGA got a lot of what the WGA wanted so many members may
look at what the DGA got and at their declining bank account and
decide they would prefer to get back to work. Time will time what the
writers resolve is.

Re: News: DGA (Directors, etc.) Reach a Tentative Contract Deal

<u5j3ms$2ulj$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188659&group=rec.arts.tv#188659

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 22:37:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 22:37 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>As per Deadline:

>https://deadline.com/2023/06/directors-hollywood-studios-reach-deal-new-contract-1235399542/

>While it seems like a good deal, it also seems like the DGA totally
>caved on getting actually ratings data from the streamers. Which seems
>kind of dumb to me.

>No idea if this helps, hurts, or makes no difference with the WGA strike.

Doesn't anyone agree with me that a Sheherezade clause would improve
writing for tv?

Re: News: DGA (Directors, etc.) Reach a Tentative Contract Deal

<u5j68c$3ar3$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188665&group=rec.arts.tv#188665

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 16:20:46 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 23:20 UTC

On 6/4/2023 3:37 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> As per Deadline:
>
>> https://deadline.com/2023/06/directors-hollywood-studios-reach-deal-new-contract-1235399542/
>
>> While it seems like a good deal, it also seems like the DGA totally
>> caved on getting actually ratings data from the streamers. Which seems
>> kind of dumb to me.
>
>> No idea if this helps, hurts, or makes no difference with the WGA strike.
>
> Doesn't anyone agree with me that a Sheherezade clause would improve
> writing for tv?

My lawyer wants to see the proposed language before I'm allowed to have
an opinion on that.

dirty old man.

Re: News: DGA (Directors, etc.) Reach a Tentative Contract Deal

<1577965620.707615054.146323.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188671&group=rec.arts.tv#188671

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 17:01:06 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 00:01 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> As per Deadline:
>
>> https://deadline.com/2023/06/directors-hollywood-studios-reach-deal-new-contract-1235399542/
>>

>> While it seems like a good deal, it also seems like the DGA totally
>> caved on getting actually ratings data from the streamers. Which seems
>> kind of dumb to me.
>
>> No idea if this helps, hurts, or makes no difference with the WGA strike.
>
> Doesn't anyone agree with me that a Sheherezade clause would improve
> writing for tv?

You whooshed me, but I was still glazed over about Catherine Zeta-Jones
being nudely naked.

Re: News: DGA (Directors, etc.) Reach a Tentative Contract Deal

<u5j9qd$3mi1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188674&group=rec.arts.tv#188674

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 00:21:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 00:21 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>On 6/4/2023 3:37 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>>As per Deadline:

>>>https://deadline.com/2023/06/directors-hollywood-studios-reach-deal-new-contract-1235399542/

>>>While it seems like a good deal, it also seems like the DGA totally
>>>caved on getting actually ratings data from the streamers. Which seems
>>>kind of dumb to me.

>>>No idea if this helps, hurts, or makes no difference with the WGA strike.

>>Doesn't anyone agree with me that a Sheherezade clause would improve
>>writing for tv?

>My lawyer wants to see the proposed language before I'm allowed to have
>an opinion on that.

Scheherazade had volunteered to marry an evil king who, having been
betrayed by an unfaithful wife, married then beheaded a virgin. He did
this on a daily basis. Scheherazade, smarter than everybody else in the
kingdom, gained his interest by telling an exciting and wonderful story
to her younger sister. The king listened in and was intrigued.

Scheherazade ended the story on a cliffhanger, then kept her head. She
finished the story that night, then started a new story the next night.

Eventually the king fell in love with her and let her keep her head.

A Scheherazade clause is a sudden death clause for failure of a story
teller to entertain.

Who is with me on this?

Re: News: DGA (Directors, etc.) Reach a Tentative Contract Deal

<u5jc14$3sig$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188678&group=rec.arts.tv#188678

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 17:59:19 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 00:59 UTC

On 6/4/2023 5:21 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Doesn't anyone agree with me that a Sheherezade clause would improve
>>> writing for tv?
>
>> My lawyer wants to see the proposed language before I'm allowed to have
>> an opinion on that.
>
> Scheherazade had volunteered to marry an evil king who, having been
> betrayed by an unfaithful wife, married then beheaded a virgin. He did
> this on a daily basis. Scheherazade, smarter than everybody else in the
> kingdom, gained his interest by telling an exciting and wonderful story
> to her younger sister. The king listened in and was intrigued.
>
> Scheherazade ended the story on a cliffhanger, then kept her head. She
> finished the story that night, then started a new story the next night.
>
> Eventually the king fell in love with her and let her keep her head.
>
> A Scheherazade clause is a sudden death clause for failure of a story
> teller to entertain.
>
> Who is with me on this?

There will always be at least one person who will be entertained even if
its just by how bad the story is.

dirty old man.

Re: News: DGA (Directors, etc.) Reach a Tentative Contract Deal

<903575151.707630196.881364.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188690&group=rec.arts.tv#188690

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 20:57:39 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 03:57 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Doesn't anyone agree with me that a Sheherezade clause would improve
>>> writing for tv?
>
>> My lawyer wants to see the proposed language before I'm allowed to have
>> an opinion on that.
>
> Scheherazade had volunteered to marry an evil king who, having been
> betrayed by an unfaithful wife, married then beheaded a virgin. He did
> this on a daily basis. Scheherazade, smarter than everybody else in the
> kingdom, gained his interest by telling an exciting and wonderful story
> to her younger sister. The king listened in and was intrigued.
>
> Scheherazade ended the story on a cliffhanger, then kept her head. She
> finished the story that night, then started a new story the next night.
>
> Eventually the king fell in love with her and let her keep her head.
>
> A Scheherazade clause is a sudden death clause for failure of a story
> teller to entertain.
>
> Who is with me on this?

Geez, I don’t know, a virgin a night and no alimony?