One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar. -- Helen Keller

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China sea

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China seaanim8rfsk
`* Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China seaThe Horny Goat
 `* Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China seaanim8rfsk
  +* Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China seashawn
  |+- Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China seaanim8rfsk
  |`* Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China seaThe Horny Goat
  | `- Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China seaanim8rfsk
  +* Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China seaThe Horny Goat
  |`* Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China seaRhino
  | `- Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China seaThe Horny Goat
  `* Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China seaBTR1701
   +- Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China seaA Friend
   `- Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China seaanim8rfsk

1
Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China sea

<132153306.707735293.132568.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188854&group=rec.arts.tv#188854

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China sea
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 02:11:35 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 09:11 UTC

RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
> U.S. if they wanted, it has the capability to sink all 300 Chinese ships
> in their navy in a few hours. Faster if they use nuclear cruise missiles.

It would be like the USS Nimitz versus the entire Japanese Navy in 1941.

Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China sea

<g2608ihafmgnd2ivn1f6763okq48ki88bv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188964&group=rec.arts.tv#188964

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2023 22:41:51 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 05:41 UTC

On Tue, 6 Jun 2023 02:11:35 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>> U.S. if they wanted, it has the capability to sink all 300 Chinese ships
>> in their navy in a few hours. Faster if they use nuclear cruise missiles.
>>

>It would be like the USS Nimitz versus the entire Japanese Navy in 1941.

Stupid question perhaps but would the modern Nimitz have enough
ammunition to destroy the Pearl Harbor invasion fleet? I'm thinking
more about reloads than I am about fuel.

Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China sea

<1750842265.707810968.050394.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188966&group=rec.arts.tv#188966

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 23:42:53 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 06:42 UTC

The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jun 2023 02:11:35 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> U.S. if they wanted, it has the capability to sink all 300 Chinese ships
>>> in their navy in a few hours. Faster if they use nuclear cruise missiles.
>>>

>> It would be like the USS Nimitz versus the entire Japanese Navy in 1941.
>
> Stupid question perhaps but would the modern Nimitz have enough
> ammunition to destroy the Pearl Harbor invasion fleet? I'm thinking
> more about reloads than I am about fuel.

It’s the plot of the 1980 movie THE FINAL COUNTDOWN, starring Kirk Douglas.
An unexplained time warp dumps the 1980 Nimitz between the Japanese fleet
and Pearl Harbor on December 6, 1941. Their dilemma isn’t whether or not
they can wipe the entire Japanese fleet off the face of the Earth– they can
– it’s just whether or not they should.

There are a lot of problems. For instance, the Japanese hadn’t actually
done anything yet. Effectively Kirk Douglas would be declaring war on them.
Also, in practical terms, nobody would know he’d done it; the Japanese
fleet would just disappear. So would the United States still enter World
War II? If not, between Kirk Douglas and Sister Edith Keeler, Hitler might
just take over the world.

There isn’t much discussion about exactly what tactics they’d use. If the
Nimitz had anything nuclear they could lob, the fleet was kind of all
bunched up. One good size kaboom in the middle of it would be all she
wrote.

The Japanese attack force would never know what hit them. Explosions just
coming out of the night from something over the horizon. There are
obviously submarines out there somewhere but the Nimitz would not only be
faster than the Japanese submarines. I bet it’s faster going backwards than
Japanese submarine torpedoes.

With the first flash, the Japanese have lost anyway. It’s a sneak attack
and they got spotted and clobbered a day out.

The Nimitz would have to be careful what armaments they expended. Because
obviously they can’t re-supply. And they might just have to sail over to
Europe later and take out Germany from a distance. Apparently they could’ve
done that as well. Especially given that they know where everything is. At
which point Italy would probably just turn off the lights and try to hide.

It’s a fun movie all filmed with real sea craft, and aircraft. None of this
model work or CGI crap!

Fred-Bob sez “check it out!“

Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China sea

<63f08ilegdisgbuks8s3bo71h88tctll6e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188967&group=rec.arts.tv#188967

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2023 04:15:10 -0400
 by: shawn - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 08:15 UTC

On Tue, 6 Jun 2023 23:42:53 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
>> On Tue, 6 Jun 2023 02:11:35 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
>> wrote:

>>> It would be like the USS Nimitz versus the entire Japanese Navy in 1941.
>>
>> Stupid question perhaps but would the modern Nimitz have enough
>> ammunition to destroy the Pearl Harbor invasion fleet? I'm thinking
>> more about reloads than I am about fuel.
>>

>It’s the plot of the 1980 movie THE FINAL COUNTDOWN, starring Kirk Douglas.
>An unexplained time warp dumps the 1980 Nimitz between the Japanese fleet
>and Pearl Harbor on December 6, 1941. Their dilemma isn’t whether or not
>they can wipe the entire Japanese fleet off the face of the Earth– they can
>– it’s just whether or not they should.
>
>There are a lot of problems. For instance, the Japanese hadn’t actually
>done anything yet. Effectively Kirk Douglas would be declaring war on them.
>Also, in practical terms, nobody would know he’d done it; the Japanese
>fleet would just disappear. So would the United States still enter World
>War II? If not, between Kirk Douglas and Sister Edith Keeler, Hitler might
>just take over the world.
>
>There isn’t much discussion about exactly what tactics they’d use. If the
>Nimitz had anything nuclear they could lob, the fleet was kind of all
>bunched up. One good size kaboom in the middle of it would be all she
>wrote.
>
>The Japanese attack force would never know what hit them. Explosions just
>coming out of the night from something over the horizon. There are
>obviously submarines out there somewhere but the Nimitz would not only be
>faster than the Japanese submarines. I bet it’s faster going backwards than
>Japanese submarine torpedoes.
>
>With the first flash, the Japanese have lost anyway. It’s a sneak attack
>and they got spotted and clobbered a day out.
>
>The Nimitz would have to be careful what armaments they expended. Because
>obviously they can’t re-supply. And they might just have to sail over to
>Europe later and take out Germany from a distance. Apparently they could’ve
>done that as well. Especially given that they know where everything is. At
>which point Italy would probably just turn off the lights and try to hide.
>
>It’s a fun movie all filmed with real sea craft, and aircraft. None of this
>model work or CGI crap!
>
>Fred-Bob sez “check it out!“

Definitely worth checking out. Oh and unless I'm confusing my movies
remember the little surprise at the end of the movie.

Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China sea

<1585016661.707823048.925909.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188968&group=rec.arts.tv#188968

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 02:33:01 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 09:33 UTC

> On Tue, 6 Jun 2023 23:42:53 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

>>> Stupid question perhaps but would the modern Nimitz have enough
>>> ammunition to destroy the Pearl Harbor invasion fleet? I'm thinking
>>> more about reloads than I am about fuel.
>>>

>> It’s the plot of the 1980 movie THE FINAL COUNTDOWN, starring Kirk Douglas.
>> An unexplained time warp dumps the 1980 Nimitz between the Japanese fleet
>> and Pearl Harbor on December 6, 1941. Their dilemma isn’t whether or not
>> they can wipe the entire Japanese fleet off the face of the Earth– they can
>> – it’s just whether or not they should.
>>
>> There are a lot of problems. For instance, the Japanese hadn’t actually
>> done anything yet. Effectively Kirk Douglas would be declaring war on them.
>> Also, in practical terms, nobody would know he’d done it; the Japanese
>> fleet would just disappear. So would the United States still enter World
>> War II? If not, between Kirk Douglas and Sister Edith Keeler, Hitler might
>> just take over the world.
>>
>> There isn’t much discussion about exactly what tactics they’d use. If the
>> Nimitz had anything nuclear they could lob, the fleet was kind of all
>> bunched up. One good size kaboom in the middle of it would be all she
>> wrote.
>>
>> The Japanese attack force would never know what hit them. Explosions just
>> coming out of the night from something over the horizon. There are
>> obviously submarines out there somewhere but the Nimitz would not only be
>> faster than the Japanese submarines. I bet it’s faster going backwards than
>> Japanese submarine torpedoes.
>>
>> With the first flash, the Japanese have lost anyway. It’s a sneak attack
>> and they got spotted and clobbered a day out.
>>
>> The Nimitz would have to be careful what armaments they expended. Because
>> obviously they can’t re-supply. And they might just have to sail over to
>> Europe later and take out Germany from a distance. Apparently they could’ve
>> done that as well. Especially given that they know where everything is. At
>> which point Italy would probably just turn off the lights and try to hide.
>>
>> It’s a fun movie all filmed with real sea craft, and aircraft. None of this
>> model work or CGI crap!
>>
>> Fred-Bob sez “check it out!“
>
> Definitely worth checking out. Oh and unless I'm confusing my movies
> remember the little surprise at the end of the movie.

Free on PRIME, and available on a bunch of other streamers.

https://click.justwatch.com/a?r=https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/the-final-countdown?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios
https://click.justwatch.com/a?r=https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/the-final-countdown?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios

Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China sea

<a2n08ihva6rj23njicjm7q3stsf5v6a71d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188970&group=rec.arts.tv#188970

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2023 03:42:36 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 10:42 UTC

wrote:

>There are a lot of problems. For instance, the Japanese hadn’t actually
>done anything yet. Effectively Kirk Douglas would be declaring war on them.
>Also, in practical terms, nobody would know he’d done it; the Japanese
>fleet would just disappear. So would the United States still enter World
>War II? If not, between Kirk Douglas and Sister Edith Keeler, Hitler might
>just take over the world.
>
>There isn’t much discussion about exactly what tactics they’d use. If the
>Nimitz had anything nuclear they could lob, the fleet was kind of all
>bunched up. One good size kaboom in the middle of it would be all she
>wrote.
>
>The Japanese attack force would never know what hit them. Explosions just
>coming out of the night from something over the horizon. There are
>obviously submarines out there somewhere but the Nimitz would not only be
>faster than the Japanese submarines. I bet it’s faster going backwards than
>Japanese submarine torpedoes.
>
>With the first flash, the Japanese have lost anyway. It’s a sneak attack
>and they got spotted and clobbered a day out.

As some of you know I've got 25+ years in both alt.history.what-if and
soc.history.what-if and counterfactuals like these are the bread +
butter of such newsgroups.

A couple of points: (1) if the change to history is 6 Dec 1941 the
Russian counter-offensive that drove the Germans back from Moscow is
well underway.
(2) while it's POSSIBLE Hitler doesn't screw up the 1942 Stalingrad
campaign, perhaps he screws it up even worse? Or he could try
something different - the alternate plan proposed that >wasn't<
adopted was to ignore Stalingrad in 1942 and first capture Leningrad
then try to sweep down on Moscow from the North. I've wargamed that
scenario and while taking or not taking Leningrad is a crapshoot
(think WW1 Verdun as an example) >IF< the Germans take Leningrad
within 2 months of the end of winter, the Russian defence line comes
totally unhinged as the Germans sweek east then south and at worst
fight a Stalingrad style campaign east of Moscow (with Moscow
encircled) - and that's the BEST case scenario for Stalin while a less
good outcome is that he has to abandon Moscow altogether and fall back
another 500-600 miles which leaves Russia mostly crippled for 1943
with ONLY Lend-Lease to minimally keep them going. This means
cancelling the assault on North Africa and Italy.

But that's going pretty far afield and in the Pacific what probably
happens is that FDR makes his speech to Congress basically saying -
"The Japanese fleet was coming to attack Hawaii AND WE DEFEATED THE
INVASION" and asked Congress for a declaration of war on Japan - bear
in mind Pearl Harbor was NOT the only Japanese invasion on 7 Dec 1941
- they also attacked Guam, Hong Kong, started their drive on Singapore
and the Dutch East Indies and Phillipines. No question Pearl Harbor
was the most important Japanese attack on 7 December but it wasn't the
only one!

Now to put away soc.history.what-if for awhile and go back to
rec.arts.tv.....

Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China sea

<8qn08i1tduhn361vj1bncbuidk6cjudana@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188971&group=rec.arts.tv#188971

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2023 03:44:47 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 10:44 UTC

On Wed, 07 Jun 2023 04:15:10 -0400, shawn
<nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

>>The Nimitz would have to be careful what armaments they expended. Because
>>obviously they can’t re-supply. And they might just have to sail over to
>>Europe later and take out Germany from a distance. Apparently they could’ve
>>done that as well. Especially given that they know where everything is. At
>>which point Italy would probably just turn off the lights and try to hide.
>>
>>It’s a fun movie all filmed with real sea craft, and aircraft. None of this
>>model work or CGI crap!

If I remember the movie correctly the most important part was that the
commander of the Nimitz remembered his oath and after his attack (a)
figured out where he was and (b) contacted Washington and pledged to
obey the president

Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China sea

<u5pvnj$14q3c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188976&group=rec.arts.tv#188976

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 09:12:19 -0400
 by: Rhino - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 13:12 UTC

On 2023-06-07 6:42 AM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jun 2023 23:42:53 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> There are a lot of problems. For instance, the Japanese hadn’t actually
>> done anything yet. Effectively Kirk Douglas would be declaring war on them.
>> Also, in practical terms, nobody would know he’d done it; the Japanese
>> fleet would just disappear. So would the United States still enter World
>> War II? If not, between Kirk Douglas and Sister Edith Keeler, Hitler might
>> just take over the world.
>>
>> There isn’t much discussion about exactly what tactics they’d use. If the
>> Nimitz had anything nuclear they could lob, the fleet was kind of all
>> bunched up. One good size kaboom in the middle of it would be all she
>> wrote.
>>
>> The Japanese attack force would never know what hit them. Explosions just
>> coming out of the night from something over the horizon. There are
>> obviously submarines out there somewhere but the Nimitz would not only be
>> faster than the Japanese submarines. I bet it’s faster going backwards than
>> Japanese submarine torpedoes.
>>
>> With the first flash, the Japanese have lost anyway. It’s a sneak attack
>> and they got spotted and clobbered a day out.
>
> As some of you know I've got 25+ years in both alt.history.what-if and
> soc.history.what-if and counterfactuals like these are the bread +
> butter of such newsgroups.
>
> A couple of points: (1) if the change to history is 6 Dec 1941 the
> Russian counter-offensive that drove the Germans back from Moscow is
> well underway.
> (2) while it's POSSIBLE Hitler doesn't screw up the 1942 Stalingrad
> campaign, perhaps he screws it up even worse? Or he could try
> something different - the alternate plan proposed that >wasn't<
> adopted was to ignore Stalingrad in 1942 and first capture Leningrad
> then try to sweep down on Moscow from the North. I've wargamed that
> scenario and while taking or not taking Leningrad is a crapshoot
> (think WW1 Verdun as an example) >IF< the Germans take Leningrad
> within 2 months of the end of winter, the Russian defence line comes
> totally unhinged as the Germans sweek east then south and at worst
> fight a Stalingrad style campaign east of Moscow (with Moscow
> encircled) - and that's the BEST case scenario for Stalin while a less
> good outcome is that he has to abandon Moscow altogether and fall back
> another 500-600 miles which leaves Russia mostly crippled for 1943
> with ONLY Lend-Lease to minimally keep them going. This means
> cancelling the assault on North Africa and Italy.

I've read that Stalin was VERY close to abandoning Moscow as the Germans
got close that October. A temporary capitol, Kuibyshev (since restored
to its pre-Revolutionary name of Samara), had already been established
and much of the bureaucracy had already been relocated there. As the
Germans approached, people in general were pretty panicky and the regime
had a lot of trouble keeping order because many people wanted to
evacuate. I read one account supposedly originating from an eyewitness
(a railroad employee who somehow found himself undetected within
Stalin's security perimeter) that said Stalin was literally on the
platform ready to board the train but then paced back and forth for
several minutes, apparently having second thoughts about evacuating.
Finally, he stopped pacing and had his security detail drive him back to
the Kremlin.

--
Rhino

Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China sea

<atropos-C641C8.11171607062023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189000&group=rec.arts.tv#189000

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2023 11:17:16 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 18:17 UTC

In article
<1750842265.707810968.050394.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
> > On Tue, 6 Jun 2023 02:11:35 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> > wrote:

> >> It would be like the USS Nimitz versus the entire Japanese Navy in 1941.
> >
> > Stupid question perhaps but would the modern Nimitz have enough
> > ammunition to destroy the Pearl Harbor invasion fleet? I'm thinking
> > more about reloads than I am about fuel.
> >

> It’s the plot of the 1980 movie THE FINAL COUNTDOWN, starring Kirk Douglas.
> An unexplained time warp dumps the 1980 Nimitz between the Japanese fleet
> and Pearl Harbor on December 6, 1941. Their dilemma isn’t whether or not
> they can wipe the entire Japanese fleet off the face of the Earth– they can
> – it’s just whether or not they should.
>
> There are a lot of problems. For instance, the Japanese hadn’t actually
> done anything yet. Effectively Kirk Douglas would be declaring war on them.
> Also, in practical terms, nobody would know he’d done it; the Japanese
> fleet would just disappear. So would the United States still enter World
> War II? If not, between Kirk Douglas and Sister Edith Keeler, Hitler might
> just take over the world.
>
> There isn’t much discussion about exactly what tactics they’d use. If the
> Nimitz had anything nuclear they could lob, the fleet was kind of all
> bunched up. One good size kaboom in the middle of it would be all she
> wrote.
>
> The Japanese attack force would never know what hit them. Explosions just
> coming out of the night from something over the horizon. There are
> obviously submarines out there somewhere but the Nimitz would not only be
> faster than the Japanese submarines. I bet it’s faster going backwards than
> Japanese submarine torpedoes.
>
> With the first flash, the Japanese have lost anyway. It’s a sneak attack
> and they got spotted and clobbered a day out.
>
> The Nimitz would have to be careful what armaments they expended. Because
> obviously they can’t re-supply. And they might just have to sail over to
> Europe later and take out Germany from a distance. Apparently they could’ve
> done that as well. Especially given that they know where everything is. At
> which point Italy would probably just turn off the lights and try to hide.
>
> It’s a fun movie all filmed with real sea craft, and aircraft. None of this
> model work or CGI crap!
>
> Fred-Bob sez “check it out!“

I never liked it because it was unsatisfying. I wanted to watch the Japs
get their asses handed to them, history be damned!

Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China sea

<t4i18i1o0k62889oe2bmmqekuct9gf4c6n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189001&group=rec.arts.tv#189001

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2023 11:17:02 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 18:17 UTC

On Wed, 7 Jun 2023 09:12:19 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>I've read that Stalin was VERY close to abandoning Moscow as the Germans
>got close that October. A temporary capitol, Kuibyshev (since restored
>to its pre-Revolutionary name of Samara), had already been established
>and much of the bureaucracy had already been relocated there. As the
>Germans approached, people in general were pretty panicky and the regime
>had a lot of trouble keeping order because many people wanted to
>evacuate. I read one account supposedly originating from an eyewitness
>(a railroad employee who somehow found himself undetected within
>Stalin's security perimeter) that said Stalin was literally on the
>platform ready to board the train but then paced back and forth for
>several minutes, apparently having second thoughts about evacuating.
>Finally, he stopped pacing and had his security detail drive him back to
>the Kremlin.

Hadn't heard the train station story but no question Kuibyshev had
been prepared to serve as a temporary capital.

Several books on 1941 mention the Moscow man who went crazy and
somehow got himself an ersatz SS uniform and was riding around Moscow
at the peak of the battle making ready to welcome the Nazis. While
none of the books specifically say what happen to him it's not
difficult to guess.

After all Solzhenitsyn's life was changed forever simply by telling a
Stalin joke (which I can't remember but it's in the 3rd volume of the
Gulag Archipelago) and nobody heard it except the men of his unit -
and they were on German soil at the time.

Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China sea

<070620231444360366%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189007&group=rec.arts.tv#189007

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2023 14:44:36 -0400
 by: A Friend - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 18:44 UTC

In article <atropos-C641C8.11171607062023@news.giganews.com>, BTR1701
<atropos@mac.com> wrote:

> In article
> <1750842265.707810968.050394.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

> > > Stupid question perhaps but would the modern Nimitz have enough
> > > ammunition to destroy the Pearl Harbor invasion fleet? I'm thinking
> > > more about reloads than I am about fuel.
> > >

> > It’Äôs the plot of the 1980 movie THE FINAL COUNTDOWN, starring Kirk
> > Douglas.
> > An unexplained time warp dumps the 1980 Nimitz between the Japanese fleet
> > and Pearl Harbor on December 6, 1941. Their dilemma isn’Äôt whether or not
> > they can wipe the entire Japanese fleet off the face of the Earth’Äì they
> > can
> > ’Äì it’Äôs just whether or not they should.
> >
> > There are a lot of problems. For instance, the Japanese hadn’Äôt actually
> > done anything yet. Effectively Kirk Douglas would be declaring war on them.
> > Also, in practical terms, nobody would know he’Äôd done it; the Japanese
> > fleet would just disappear. So would the United States still enter World
> > War II? If not, between Kirk Douglas and Sister Edith Keeler, Hitler might
> > just take over the world.
> >
> > There isn’Äôt much discussion about exactly what tactics they’Äôd use. If
> > the
> > Nimitz had anything nuclear they could lob, the fleet was kind of all
> > bunched up. One good size kaboom in the middle of it would be all she
> > wrote.
> >
> > The Japanese attack force would never know what hit them. Explosions just
> > coming out of the night from something over the horizon. There are
> > obviously submarines out there somewhere but the Nimitz would not only be
> > faster than the Japanese submarines. I bet it’Äôs faster going backwards
> > than
> > Japanese submarine torpedoes.
> >
> > With the first flash, the Japanese have lost anyway. It’Äôs a sneak attack
> > and they got spotted and clobbered a day out.
> >
> > The Nimitz would have to be careful what armaments they expended. Because
> > obviously they can’Äôt re-supply. And they might just have to sail over to
> > Europe later and take out Germany from a distance. Apparently they
> > could’Äôve
> > done that as well. Especially given that they know where everything is. At
> > which point Italy would probably just turn off the lights and try to hide.
> >
> > It’Äôs a fun movie all filmed with real sea craft, and aircraft. None of
> > this
> > model work or CGI crap!
> >
> > Fred-Bob sez ’Äúcheck it out!’Äú
>
> I never liked it because it was unsatisfying. I wanted to watch the Japs
> get their asses handed to them, history be damned!

So did I. BTW in promoting the film, the producers tarted up a New
York Times front page from 8 Dec 1941 with a four-deck hedline about
the Mystery Fleet and Jap Attack Thwarted and so on. I wish they'd made
*that* movie.

Nice dog, though.

Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China sea

<1627807094.707857101.123491.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189008&group=rec.arts.tv#189008

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 12:04:54 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 19:04 UTC

The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Jun 2023 04:15:10 -0400, shawn
> <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>
>>> The Nimitz would have to be careful what armaments they expended. Because
>>> obviously they can’t re-supply. And they might just have to sail over to
>>> Europe later and take out Germany from a distance. Apparently they could’ve
>>> done that as well. Especially given that they know where everything is. At
>>> which point Italy would probably just turn off the lights and try to hide.
>>>
>>> It’s a fun movie all filmed with real sea craft, and aircraft. None of this
>>> model work or CGI crap!
>
> If I remember the movie correctly the most important part was that the
> commander of the Nimitz remembered his oath and after his attack (a)
> figured out where he was and (b) contacted Washington and pledged to
> obey the president

That’s a completely different movie

Re: Multiple nations deploy ships in South China sea

<1759649725.707857155.680125.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189009&group=rec.arts.tv#189009

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 12:04:55 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 19:04 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> In article
> <1750842265.707810968.050394.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

>>> Stupid question perhaps but would the modern Nimitz have enough
>>> ammunition to destroy the Pearl Harbor invasion fleet? I'm thinking
>>> more about reloads than I am about fuel.
>>>

>> It’s the plot of the 1980 movie THE FINAL COUNTDOWN, starring Kirk Douglas.
>> An unexplained time warp dumps the 1980 Nimitz between the Japanese fleet
>> and Pearl Harbor on December 6, 1941. Their dilemma isn’t whether or not
>> they can wipe the entire Japanese fleet off the face of the Earth– they can
>> – it’s just whether or not they should.
>>
>> There are a lot of problems. For instance, the Japanese hadn’t actually
>> done anything yet. Effectively Kirk Douglas would be declaring war on them.
>> Also, in practical terms, nobody would know he’d done it; the Japanese
>> fleet would just disappear. So would the United States still enter World
>> War II? If not, between Kirk Douglas and Sister Edith Keeler, Hitler might
>> just take over the world.
>>
>> There isn’t much discussion about exactly what tactics they’d use. If the
>> Nimitz had anything nuclear they could lob, the fleet was kind of all
>> bunched up. One good size kaboom in the middle of it would be all she
>> wrote.
>>
>> The Japanese attack force would never know what hit them. Explosions just
>> coming out of the night from something over the horizon. There are
>> obviously submarines out there somewhere but the Nimitz would not only be
>> faster than the Japanese submarines. I bet it’s faster going backwards than
>> Japanese submarine torpedoes.
>>
>> With the first flash, the Japanese have lost anyway. It’s a sneak attack
>> and they got spotted and clobbered a day out.
>>
>> The Nimitz would have to be careful what armaments they expended. Because
>> obviously they can’t re-supply. And they might just have to sail over to
>> Europe later and take out Germany from a distance. Apparently they could’ve
>> done that as well. Especially given that they know where everything is. At
>> which point Italy would probably just turn off the lights and try to hide.
>>
>> It’s a fun movie all filmed with real sea craft, and aircraft. None of this
>> model work or CGI crap!
>>
>> Fred-Bob sez “check it out!“
>
> I never liked it because it was unsatisfying. I wanted to watch the Japs
> get their asses handed to them, history be damned!

Yes.

I took my dad to see it opening weekend. When Kirk Douglas says “splash the
zeros“ the audience went absolutely wild.