Caution: Keep out of reach of children.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Law and Order comes to Canada

SubjectAuthor
* Law and Order comes to CanadaRhino2
+* Re: Law and Order comes to CanadaAdam H. Kerman
|`* Re: Law and Order comes to CanadaRhino
| +* Re: Law and Order comes to CanadaAdam H. Kerman
| |`* Re: Law and Order comes to CanadaRhino
| | `* Night Heat and CBS late night dramas (was: Law and Order comes to Canada)Adam H. Kerman
| |  +* Re: Night Heat and CBS late night dramas (was: Law and Order comes toRhino
| |  |`- Re: Night Heat and CBS late night dramas (was: Law and Order comes to Canada)danny burstein
| |  `* Re: Night Heat and CBS late night dramas (was: Law and Orderanim8rfsk
| |   `- Re: Night Heat and CBS late night dramas (was: Law and OrderAdam H. Kerman
| +* Re: Law and Order comes to CanadaBTR1701
| |`- Re: Law and Order comes to CanadaRhino
| `- Re: Law and Order comes to CanadaThe Horny Goat
+- Re: Law and Order comes to Canadashawn
`* Re: Law and Order comes to CanadaIan J. Ball
 `- Re: Law and Order comes to CanadaRhino

1
Law and Order comes to Canada

<83a93dbb-d481-47be-8e24-ac6e6b1f9829n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188778&group=rec.arts.tv#188778

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 16:12:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Law and Order comes to Canada
From: hughmung...@gmail.com (Rhino2)
 by: Rhino2 - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 23:12 UTC

Dick Wolf is launching yet another Law and Order series, this time set and filmed in Toronto. It should begin airing next year.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/law-order-toronto-criminal-intent-canada-1235507503/

Re: Law and Order comes to Canada

<u5lqkg$fmda$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188786&group=rec.arts.tv#188786

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Law and Order comes to Canada
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 23:20:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 23:20 UTC

Rhino2 <hughmunguscan@gmail.com> wrote:

>Dick Wolf is launching yet another Law and Order series, this time set
>and filmed in Toronto. It should begin airing next year.

>https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/law-order-toronto-criminal-intent-canada-1235507503/

I miss Night Heat. I'm sure this won't be the same quality.

Do they wear the horsehair wigs?

Re: Law and Order comes to Canada

<miss7i5l0p1euqu4qa46bn71mt99gn950p@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188789&group=rec.arts.tv#188789

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2023 19:40:46 -0400
 by: shawn - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 23:40 UTC

On Mon, 5 Jun 2023 16:12:09 -0700 (PDT), Rhino2
<hughmunguscan@gmail.com> wrote:

>Dick Wolf is launching yet another Law and Order series, this time set and filmed in Toronto. It should begin airing next year.
>
>https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/law-order-toronto-criminal-intent-canada-1235507503/

There won't be enough L&Os until NBC is nothing but L&O spinoffs.

Re: Law and Order comes to Canada

<u5lt07$ftfe$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188794&group=rec.arts.tv#188794

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 17:01:11 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 00:01 UTC

On 2023-06-05 23:12:09 +0000, Rhino2 said:

> Dick Wolf is launching yet another Law and Order series, this time set
> and filmed in Toronto. It should begin airing next year.
>
> https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/law-order-toronto-criminal-intent-canada-1235507503/

Sorry, just posted this - I didn't see your thread.

Re: Law and Order comes to Canada

<u5n9ll$g2ra$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188873&group=rec.arts.tv#188873

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 08:43:33 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 12:43 UTC

On 2023-06-05 7:20 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Rhino2 <hughmunguscan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dick Wolf is launching yet another Law and Order series, this time set
>> and filmed in Toronto. It should begin airing next year.
>
>> https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/law-order-toronto-criminal-intent-canada-1235507503/
>
> I miss Night Heat. I'm sure this won't be the same quality.

I never actually watched a full episode of it. In fact, I'm not sure I
ever saw more than an ad for it.

> Do they wear the horsehair wigs?

I'm pretty sure they don't but not positive. My only real life
experience with court proceedings was when I was chosen for a jury pool
(of 250 people). On the first day, we were all ushered into a very large
room and seated. Each of us in turn was asked our name and
profession/occupation then there was a pause, after which someone came
out and said the defendant had changed his plea to guilty and we could
all go home because it was over.

If I recall correctly, the judge, prosecutor and defense counsel were
all there. I believe they all wore robes but none wore wigs. But the
dress code may vary for trials in different courts like appeal courts
and the Supreme Court.

Google to the rescue! According to this page, which is apparently for a
business that makes gowns for court, wigs are never worn in Canadian
courts. (I assume that excludes hairpieces for those who choose to wear
them.)

https://harcourts.com/blog/what-does-proper-court-attire-in-canada-look-like/
--
Rhino

Re: Law and Order comes to Canada

<u5n9pd$o1ih$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188874&group=rec.arts.tv#188874

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 08:45:32 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 12:45 UTC

On 2023-06-05 8:01 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2023-06-05 23:12:09 +0000, Rhino2 said:
>
>> Dick Wolf is launching yet another Law and Order series, this time set
>> and filmed in Toronto. It should begin airing next year.
>>
>> https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/law-order-toronto-criminal-intent-canada-1235507503/
>
> Sorry, just posted this - I didn't see your thread.

No worries! :-)
--
Rhino

Re: Law and Order comes to Canada

<u5ncp8$o8d8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188879&group=rec.arts.tv#188879

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 13:36:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 13:36 UTC

>On 2023-06-05 7:20 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>Rhino2 <hughmunguscan@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>Dick Wolf is launching yet another Law and Order series, this time set
>>>and filmed in Toronto. It should begin airing next year.

>>>https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/law-order-toronto-criminal-intent-canada-1235507503/

>>I miss Night Heat. I'm sure this won't be the same quality.

>I never actually watched a full episode of it. In fact, I'm not sure I
>ever saw more than an ad for it.

Shot on grainy film, 16 mm. Producers claimed it was for artistic effect,
like an old newsreel, but they were saving production costs. Shooting in
16 mm, there's just the single cameraman and no track and no grips, and
I'm sure they were saving on lighting setup costs as well. Toronto isn't
Las Vegas so there must have been some artificial light but not like
they'd have needed to get a clean image for 35 mm.

The scripts repeated certain themes but I didn't care. This was a really
good procedural. Tony Rosato as Whitey was hysterical and they turned
the deus ex machina cliche on its head.

>>Do they wear the horsehair wigs?

>I'm pretty sure they don't but not positive. My only real life
>experience with court proceedings was when I was chosen for a jury pool
>(of 250 people). On the first day, we were all ushered into a very large
>room and seated. Each of us in turn was asked our name and
>profession/occupation then there was a pause, after which someone came
>out and said the defendant had changed his plea to guilty and we could
>all go home because it was over.

>If I recall correctly, the judge, prosecutor and defense counsel were
>all there. I believe they all wore robes but none wore wigs. But the
>dress code may vary for trials in different courts like appeal courts
>and the Supreme Court.

>Google to the rescue! According to this page, which is apparently for a
>business that makes gowns for court, wigs are never worn in Canadian
>courts. (I assume that excludes hairpieces for those who choose to wear
>them.)

>https://harcourts.com/blog/what-does-proper-court-attire-in-canada-look-like/

I see. Thank you.

I've got a vague recollection that we wore horsehair wigs but I don't
think that even made it into the 19th century.

Re: Law and Order comes to Canada

<u5nekd$o1ih$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188884&group=rec.arts.tv#188884

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 10:08:12 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 14:08 UTC

On 2023-06-06 9:36 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>>> I miss Night Heat. I'm sure this won't be the same quality.
>
>> I never actually watched a full episode of it. In fact, I'm not sure I
>> ever saw more than an ad for it.
>
> Shot on grainy film, 16 mm. Producers claimed it was for artistic effect,
> like an old newsreel, but they were saving production costs. Shooting in
> 16 mm, there's just the single cameraman and no track and no grips, and
> I'm sure they were saving on lighting setup costs as well. Toronto isn't
> Las Vegas so there must have been some artificial light but not like
> they'd have needed to get a clean image for 35 mm.
>
> The scripts repeated certain themes but I didn't care. This was a really
> good procedural. Tony Rosato as Whitey was hysterical and they turned
> the deus ex machina cliche on its head.

You've almost got me thinking I should watch a few episodes to see what
I missed. Unfortunately, I don't see it on the grey so I'm not sure
where to find it. I just had a look at Epguides to see how long it ran
and how many episodes there were. For some reason I thought it had run
for many years but Epguides reveals it was just 4 seasons of 24 episodes
each. According to the cast list, Clark Johnson was in it during the 2nd
and 3rd seasons! I wonder if that helped him make the leap to Homicide:
Life on the Streets as Meldrick Lewis??

How did they show it in the US? I'm guessing it was in syndication
because I can't imagine one of the major networks showing it in prime
time; I think I'd remember if that happened!

>>> Do they wear the horsehair wigs?
>
>> I'm pretty sure they don't but not positive. My only real life
>> experience with court proceedings was when I was chosen for a jury pool
>> (of 250 people). On the first day, we were all ushered into a very large
>> room and seated. Each of us in turn was asked our name and
>> profession/occupation then there was a pause, after which someone came
>> out and said the defendant had changed his plea to guilty and we could
>> all go home because it was over.
>
>> If I recall correctly, the judge, prosecutor and defense counsel were
>> all there. I believe they all wore robes but none wore wigs. But the
>> dress code may vary for trials in different courts like appeal courts
>> and the Supreme Court.
>
>> Google to the rescue! According to this page, which is apparently for a
>> business that makes gowns for court, wigs are never worn in Canadian
>> courts. (I assume that excludes hairpieces for those who choose to wear
>> them.)
>
>> https://harcourts.com/blog/what-does-proper-court-attire-in-canada-look-like/
>
> I see. Thank you

I'd been vaguely curious about that for a while; you gave me the excuse
to do a bit of research ;-)

> I've got a vague recollection that we wore horsehair wigs but I don't
> think that even made it into the 19th century.

We may have done it too back in the day but modernized the dress code
sometime over the years. Not that it's terribly modern now!

--
Rhino

Night Heat and CBS late night dramas (was: Law and Order comes to Canada)

<u5ngpi$oqj1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188892&group=rec.arts.tv#188892

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Night Heat and CBS late night dramas (was: Law and Order comes to Canada)
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 14:45:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 14:45 UTC

>On 2023-06-06 9:36 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>>>I never actually watched a full episode of it. In fact, I'm not sure I
>>>ever saw more than an ad for it.

>>Shot on grainy film, 16 mm. Producers claimed it was for artistic effect,
>>like an old newsreel, but they were saving production costs. Shooting in
>>16 mm, there's just the single cameraman and no track and no grips, and
>>I'm sure they were saving on lighting setup costs as well. Toronto isn't
>>Las Vegas so there must have been some artificial light but not like
>>they'd have needed to get a clean image for 35 mm.

>>The scripts repeated certain themes but I didn't care. This was a really
>>good procedural. Tony Rosato as Whitey was hysterical and they turned
>>the deus ex machina cliche on its head.

>You've almost got me thinking I should watch a few episodes to see what
>I missed. Unfortunately, I don't see it on the grey so I'm not sure
>where to find it. I just had a look at Epguides to see how long it ran
>and how many episodes there were. For some reason I thought it had run
>for many years but Epguides reveals it was just 4 seasons of 24 episodes
>each. According to the cast list, Clark Johnson was in it during the 2nd
>and 3rd seasons! I wonder if that helped him make the leap to Homicide:
>Life on the Streets as Meldrick Lewis??

>How did they show it in the US? I'm guessing it was in syndication
>because I can't imagine one of the major networks showing it in prime
>time; I think I'd remember if that happened!

It aired on CTV in Canada.

In the US, it was foreign programming. CBS didn't have a talk show to
compete with The Tonight Show. In the '70s and '80s, it tried CBS Late
Night counterprogramming; Night Heat was one of the programs. Then they
tried The Pat Sajak show starting winter quarter 1989, then the
1989-1990 tv season ending in April. Then for a few years they tried the
delightfully titled Crimetime After Primetime with more foreign
programmng plus American shows with budgets more typical of first-run
syndicated series. Because these shows were aimed at adults and not
children, you got Silk Stalkings with plenty of eroticism. This show was
picked up by USA after CBS cancelled all late night dramas and, sigh,
became more family friendly.

Then CBS grabbed David Letterman from NBC to compete with The Tonight
Show No Longer Starring Johnny Carson starting in 1993-94 season and
didn't want anything to do with late night dramas any longer.

For whatever reason, the dramas didn't have talk show ratings even
though this was television done on smaller budgets. It must have been
highly profitable regardless.

The late night talk shows were important to the broadcast networks
because the theory was that the married couple would just turn on
daytime television the next morning on whichever channel the tv had been
tuned to last night and it gave their morning news/gossip shows a boost
in ratings.

Re: Night Heat and CBS late night dramas (was: Law and Order comes to Canada)

<u5nhrt$opof$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188894&group=rec.arts.tv#188894

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Night Heat and CBS late night dramas (was: Law and Order comes to
Canada)
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 11:03:22 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 15:03 UTC

On 2023-06-06 10:45 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>>> Shot on grainy film, 16 mm. Producers claimed it was for artistic effect,
>>> like an old newsreel, but they were saving production costs. Shooting in
>>> 16 mm, there's just the single cameraman and no track and no grips, and
>>> I'm sure they were saving on lighting setup costs as well. Toronto isn't
>>> Las Vegas so there must have been some artificial light but not like
>>> they'd have needed to get a clean image for 35 mm.
>
>>> The scripts repeated certain themes but I didn't care. This was a really
>>> good procedural. Tony Rosato as Whitey was hysterical and they turned
>>> the deus ex machina cliche on its head.
>
>> You've almost got me thinking I should watch a few episodes to see what
>> I missed. Unfortunately, I don't see it on the grey so I'm not sure
>> where to find it. I just had a look at Epguides to see how long it ran
>> and how many episodes there were. For some reason I thought it had run
>> for many years but Epguides reveals it was just 4 seasons of 24 episodes
>> each. According to the cast list, Clark Johnson was in it during the 2nd
>> and 3rd seasons! I wonder if that helped him make the leap to Homicide:
>> Life on the Streets as Meldrick Lewis??
>
>> How did they show it in the US? I'm guessing it was in syndication
>> because I can't imagine one of the major networks showing it in prime
>> time; I think I'd remember if that happened!
>
> It aired on CTV in Canada.
>
> In the US, it was foreign programming. CBS didn't have a talk show to
> compete with The Tonight Show. In the '70s and '80s, it tried CBS Late
> Night counterprogramming; Night Heat was one of the programs. Then they
> tried The Pat Sajak show starting winter quarter 1989, then the
> 1989-1990 tv season ending in April. Then for a few years they tried the
> delightfully titled Crimetime After Primetime with more foreign
> programmng plus American shows with budgets more typical of first-run
> syndicated series. Because these shows were aimed at adults and not
> children, you got Silk Stalkings with plenty of eroticism. This show was
> picked up by USA after CBS cancelled all late night dramas and, sigh,
> became more family friendly.
>
> Then CBS grabbed David Letterman from NBC to compete with The Tonight
> Show No Longer Starring Johnny Carson starting in 1993-94 season and
> didn't want anything to do with late night dramas any longer.
>
> For whatever reason, the dramas didn't have talk show ratings even
> though this was television done on smaller budgets. It must have been
> highly profitable regardless.
>
> The late night talk shows were important to the broadcast networks
> because the theory was that the married couple would just turn on
> daytime television the next morning on whichever channel the tv had been
> tuned to last night and it gave their morning news/gossip shows a boost
> in ratings.

I'd completely forgotten about those CBS series that tried to compete
with Carson. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

--
Rhino

Re: Night Heat and CBS late night dramas (was: Law and Order comes to Canada)

<u5nhvh$ktl$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188895&group=rec.arts.tv#188895

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 15:05:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 15:05 UTC

In <u5nhrt$opof$2@dont-email.me> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> writes:

>On 2023-06-06 10:45 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

[snip]

>> 1989-1990 tv season ending in April. Then for a few years they tried the
>> delightfully titled Crimetime After Primetime with more foreign
>> programmng plus American shows with budgets more typical of first-run
>> syndicated series. Because these shows were aimed at adults and not
>> children, you got Silk Stalkings with plenty of eroticism. This show was
>> picked up by USA after CBS cancelled all late night dramas and, sigh,
>> became more family friendly.
>I'd completely forgotten about those CBS series that tried to compete
>with Carson. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

DItto! I'd completely forgotten that "crimetime after primetime"
deal. And yeah, I watched some of them.
dannyb@panix.com

Re: Law and Order comes to Canada

<dwudnbkf_YUtyeL5nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188900&group=rec.arts.tv#188900

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2023 15:45:52 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 15:45 UTC

On Jun 6, 2023 at 5:43:33 AM PDT, "Rhino" <no_offline_contact@example.com>
wrote:

> On 2023-06-05 7:20 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>> Rhino2 <hughmunguscan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dick Wolf is launching yet another Law and Order series, this time set
>>> and filmed in Toronto. It should begin airing next year.
>>

>>> https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/law-order-toronto-criminal-intent-canada-1235507503/
>>
>> I miss Night Heat. I'm sure this won't be the same quality.
>
> I never actually watched a full episode of it. In fact, I'm not sure I
> ever saw more than an ad for it.
>>
>> Do they wear the horsehair wigs?
>
> I'm pretty sure they don't but not positive. My only real life
> experience with court proceedings was when I was chosen for a jury pool
> (of 250 people). On the first day, we were all ushered into a very large
> room and seated. Each of us in turn was asked our name and
> profession/occupation then there was a pause, after which someone came
> out and said the defendant had changed his plea to guilty and we could
> all go home because it was over.
>
> If I recall correctly, the judge, prosecutor and defense counsel were
> all there. I believe they all wore robes but none wore wigs. But the
> dress code may vary for trials in different courts like appeal courts
> and the Supreme Court.
>
> Google to the rescue! According to this page, which is apparently for a
> business that makes gowns for court, wigs are never worn in Canadian
> courts. (I assume that excludes hairpieces for those who choose to wear
> them.)

Well, that's disappointing. It's always amusing to see some hot smokeshow of a
girl-lawyer wearing one of those old timey man-wigs. I think if I were
involved in a British court proceeding, my greatest challenge would be to keep
myself from giggling through the entire process.

Re: Law and Order comes to Canada

<u5nnm0$pjuo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188909&group=rec.arts.tv#188909

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 12:42:39 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 16:42 UTC

On 2023-06-06 11:45 AM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On Jun 6, 2023 at 5:43:33 AM PDT, "Rhino" <no_offline_contact@example.com>
> wrote:

>>> I miss Night Heat. I'm sure this won't be the same quality.
>>
>> I never actually watched a full episode of it. In fact, I'm not sure I
>> ever saw more than an ad for it.
>>>
>>> Do they wear the horsehair wigs?
>>
>> I'm pretty sure they don't but not positive. My only real life
>> experience with court proceedings was when I was chosen for a jury pool
>> (of 250 people). On the first day, we were all ushered into a very large
>> room and seated. Each of us in turn was asked our name and
>> profession/occupation then there was a pause, after which someone came
>> out and said the defendant had changed his plea to guilty and we could
>> all go home because it was over.
>>
>> If I recall correctly, the judge, prosecutor and defense counsel were
>> all there. I believe they all wore robes but none wore wigs. But the
>> dress code may vary for trials in different courts like appeal courts
>> and the Supreme Court.
>>
>> Google to the rescue! According to this page, which is apparently for a
>> business that makes gowns for court, wigs are never worn in Canadian
>> courts. (I assume that excludes hairpieces for those who choose to wear
>> them.)
>
> Well, that's disappointing. It's always amusing to see some hot smokeshow of a
> girl-lawyer wearing one of those old timey man-wigs. I think if I were
> involved in a British court proceeding, my greatest challenge would be to keep
> myself from giggling through the entire process.

I'm sort of snickering myself just picturing you sitting there trying
not to lose it ;-)
--
Rhino

Re: Night Heat and CBS late night dramas (was: Law and Order comes to Canada)

<756616772.707764549.651899.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188925&group=rec.arts.tv#188925

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Night Heat and CBS late night dramas (was: Law and Order
comes to Canada)
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 10:38:38 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 17:38 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>>> Shot on grainy film, 16 mm. Producers claimed it was for artistic effect,
>>> like an old newsreel, but they were saving production costs. Shooting in
>>> 16 mm, there's just the single cameraman and no track and no grips, and
>>> I'm sure they were saving on lighting setup costs as well. Toronto isn't
>>> Las Vegas so there must have been some artificial light but not like
>>> they'd have needed to get a clean image for 35 mm.
>
>>> The scripts repeated certain themes but I didn't care. This was a really
>>> good procedural. Tony Rosato as Whitey was hysterical and they turned
>>> the deus ex machina cliche on its head.
>
>> You've almost got me thinking I should watch a few episodes to see what
>> I missed. Unfortunately, I don't see it on the grey so I'm not sure
>> where to find it. I just had a look at Epguides to see how long it ran
>> and how many episodes there were. For some reason I thought it had run
>> for many years but Epguides reveals it was just 4 seasons of 24 episodes
>> each. According to the cast list, Clark Johnson was in it during the 2nd
>> and 3rd seasons! I wonder if that helped him make the leap to Homicide:
>> Life on the Streets as Meldrick Lewis??
>
>> How did they show it in the US? I'm guessing it was in syndication
>> because I can't imagine one of the major networks showing it in prime
>> time; I think I'd remember if that happened!
>
> It aired on CTV in Canada.
>
> In the US, it was foreign programming. CBS didn't have a talk show to
> compete with The Tonight Show. In the '70s and '80s, it tried CBS Late
> Night counterprogramming; Night Heat was one of the programs. Then they
> tried The Pat Sajak show starting winter quarter 1989, then the
> 1989-1990 tv season ending in April. Then for a few years they tried the
> delightfully titled Crimetime After Primetime with more foreign
> programmng plus American shows with budgets more typical of first-run
> syndicated series. Because these shows were aimed at adults and not
> children, you got Silk Stalkings with plenty of eroticism. This show was
> picked up by USA after CBS cancelled all late night dramas and, sigh,
> became more family friendly.
>
> Then CBS grabbed David Letterman from NBC to compete with The Tonight
> Show No Longer Starring Johnny Carson starting in 1993-94 season and
> didn't want anything to do with late night dramas any longer.
>
> For whatever reason, the dramas didn't have talk show ratings even
> though this was television done on smaller budgets. It must have been
> highly profitable regardless.
>
> The late night talk shows were important to the broadcast networks
> because the theory was that the married couple would just turn on
> daytime television the next morning on whichever channel the tv had been
> tuned to last night and it gave their morning news/gossip shows a boost
> in ratings.

There was some sort of fight with Rob Estes about Silk Stalkings, because
CBS or the production company decided they could pay him less even though
he was doing the same show just because they had changed where it aired
(they moved it to USA) and he wasn’t going for it. He left and Mitzi
Kapture followed him very shortly thereafter. They recast and hoped nobody
would notice, but it was never the same. The second pair of detectives
only lasted half a season and disappeared without explanation. Then we got
Chris Potter and Janet Gunn.

Chris Potter is one of those people who should’ve had a much bigger career
than he did.

Re: Night Heat and CBS late night dramas (was: Law and Order comes to Canada)

<u5o9t5$rr4q$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188941&group=rec.arts.tv#188941

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
comes to Canada)
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 21:53:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 21:53 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>>> You've almost got me thinking I should watch a few episodes to see what
>>> I missed. Unfortunately, I don't see it on the grey so I'm not sure
>>> where to find it. I just had a look at Epguides to see how long it ran
>>> and how many episodes there were. For some reason I thought it had run
>>> for many years but Epguides reveals it was just 4 seasons of 24 episodes
>>> each. According to the cast list, Clark Johnson was in it during the 2nd
>>> and 3rd seasons! I wonder if that helped him make the leap to Homicide:
>>> Life on the Streets as Meldrick Lewis??
>>
>>> How did they show it in the US? I'm guessing it was in syndication
>>> because I can't imagine one of the major networks showing it in prime
>>> time; I think I'd remember if that happened!
>>
>> It aired on CTV in Canada.
>>
>> In the US, it was foreign programming. CBS didn't have a talk show to
>> compete with The Tonight Show. In the '70s and '80s, it tried CBS Late
>> Night counterprogramming; Night Heat was one of the programs. Then they
>> tried The Pat Sajak show starting winter quarter 1989, then the
>> 1989-1990 tv season ending in April. Then for a few years they tried the
>> delightfully titled Crimetime After Primetime with more foreign
>> programmng plus American shows with budgets more typical of first-run
>> syndicated series. Because these shows were aimed at adults and not
>> children, you got Silk Stalkings with plenty of eroticism. This show was
>> picked up by USA after CBS cancelled all late night dramas and, sigh,
>> became more family friendly.
>>
>> Then CBS grabbed David Letterman from NBC to compete with The Tonight
>> Show No Longer Starring Johnny Carson starting in 1993-94 season and
>> didn't want anything to do with late night dramas any longer.
>>
>> For whatever reason, the dramas didn't have talk show ratings even
>> though this was television done on smaller budgets. It must have been
>> highly profitable regardless.
>>
>> The late night talk shows were important to the broadcast networks
>> because the theory was that the married couple would just turn on
>> daytime television the next morning on whichever channel the tv had been
>> tuned to last night and it gave their morning news/gossip shows a boost
>> in ratings.
>>

>There was some sort of fight with Rob Estes about Silk Stalkings, because
>CBS or the production company decided they could pay him less even though
>he was doing the same show just because they had changed where it aired
>(they moved it to USA) and he wasn’t going for it. He left and Mitzi
>Kapture followed him very shortly thereafter. They recast and hoped nobody
>would notice, but it was never the same. The second pair of detectives
>only lasted half a season and disappeared without explanation. Then we got
>Chris Potter and Janet Gunn.
>
>Chris Potter is one of those people who should’ve had a much bigger career
>than he did.

Thanks. I'd forgotten about the second pair. Huh.

Re: Law and Order comes to Canada

<gu508idvli7jl7qcvric0iu1n84q96mn6j@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188963&group=rec.arts.tv#188963

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2023 22:39:07 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 05:39 UTC

On Tue, 6 Jun 2023 08:43:33 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>If I recall correctly, the judge, prosecutor and defense counsel were
>all there. I believe they all wore robes but none wore wigs. But the
>dress code may vary for trials in different courts like appeal courts
>and the Supreme Court.

I'm pretty sure Canadian judges no longer where sheep-hair wigs even
at the appeal court level. The robes are as old-time formal as ever.