May you live in interesting times. -- Chinese proverb

arts / rec.arts.tv / Career Killers: The MTV Video Music Awards

SubjectAuthor
* Career Killers: The MTV Video Music Awardstmc1982
+- Ubi the shithead forgery and Usenet abuse (was: Career Killers: The MTV Video MuAdam H. Kerman
`* Re: Career Killers: The MTV Video Music Awardsanim8rfsk
 +- Re: Career Killers: The MTV Video Music AwardsUbiquitous
 `- Re: Career Killers: The MTV Video Music AwardsEd Stasiak

1
Career Killers: The MTV Video Music Awards

<n47bfd816-8534-4863-963d-81057269cd36n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188914&group=rec.arts.tv#188914

Newsgroups: alt.tv.mtv,rec.music.misc,rec.arts.tv
Subject: Career Killers: The MTV Video Music Awards
From: tmc1...@gmail.com
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 03:29:44 -0700 (PDT)
 by: tmc1...@gmail.com - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 10:29 UTC

https://victor-li.com/mtvawards/#more-21702

Might as well take "video" out of the name since MTV doesn't play them
anymore. (Image via Wikimedia Commons)

The MTV Video Music Awards are this weekend. The only reason why I know that
is because I've been wanting to write this column and looked up when the
awards ceremony would be this year so I could post it beforehand.

That's the extent of my knowledge of MTV and today's music scene. I can't
remember the last time I actually tuned in to watch.

It's easy to understand how someone like me could be so apathetic. MTV hasn't
played videos in years and doesn't even stand for "Music Television" anymore,
it's fair to ask whether the Video Music Awards have outlived their
usefulness.

It's also a reminder of what the show used to mean. Edgier and hipper than
the Grammys, the VMAs used to be mandatory viewing for anyone who liked
music. Additionally, so many great, memorable and controversial moments
happened on the show that you felt like you missed out if you didn't
experience it as it aired. Madonna writhing around on stage in a wedding
dress. Prince giving us "Under the Full Moon" the sequel to Under the Cherry
Moon that we didn't know existed. Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth burying
the hatchet -- in each other. Kanye being Kanye. The list goes on and on.

And, of course, there have been plenty of less-than-stellar moments. Some
have even managed to kill off an artist's or band's careers. Here are some of
the biggest ones:

Britney Spears, "Gimme More," 2007 MTV VMAs

When it comes to iconic performances and moments, Britney Spears has had some
of the biggest in the history of the MTV VMAs.

Her back-to-back performances at the 2000 and 2001 shows were the equivalent
of a pop cultural atomic bomb. There was no going viral back then -- and good
thing for that, because the sight of her stripping out of her suit and
showing off her flesh-colored bikini in 2000 or dancing with a snake in 2001
would have broken the internet. And that's before we even talk about 2003,
when she kissed Madonna on stage (oh, and Christina Aguilera was there too).

By 2007, however, things had changed considerably for the onetime pop
princess. Spears was in the midst of a well-publicized breakdown, with the
media gleefully reporting on her every misstep. She seemingly hit rock bottom
in February 2007 when she walked into a hair salon in Tarzana, CA, grabbed
some clippers and shaved her head.

Rehab beckoned and, after competing her program, she set about making her
comeback. And no stage seemed more appropriate for her triumphant return than
the VMAs. Surely, Spears would come up with another brilliant, provocative
and iconic performance and consign her recent troubles to a mere footnote in
her life story, right?

Unfortunately, she hadn't performed before a large audience since 2004, and
it showed. The once bold, confident and bewitching performer was nowhere to
be seen. Instead, the Spears that showed up was nervous and tentative as she
lip-synced her way through a rendition of her comeback single, "Gimme More."
Whether it was because she didn't really want to be out there or was
somewhere else, mentally or emotionally (or chemically - we don't know),
Spears looked like a reanimated zombie on stage, half-heartedly going through
the motions. Worse, while she was in great shape for someone who had just had
two kids, she hadn't regained her pre-baby body, which led to plenty of
body-shaming from critics and fans of her formerly taut form. The crowd
didn't seem to know what to make of it either -- arguably, the audience shots
featuring a confused looking 50 Cent, Nelly and Kid Rock were more
entertaining than what was happening on stage.

While Spears had plenty of defenders (e.g. the "Leave Britney Alone" video
that went viral), most people panned her listless performance. Things got
worse the following year, when she lost custody of her sons and was placed on
a psychiatric hold at UCLA Medical Center. Her highly controversial
conservatorship began later that year, an arrangement that only recently
ended. For most of the next decade-plus, she alternated between performing in
Las Vegas and recording a series of forgettable albums and singles. She also
may or may not have dated Fred Durst. So I guess the VMAs weren't rock
bottom, after all.

NSYNC, 2002 MTV VMAs

When Justin Timberlake was announced as a solo performer at the 2002 VMAs, it
raised a lot of eyebrows. The NSYNC co-lead singer was already starting to
become the main focus of the band's videos, albums and performances as his
superior songwriting ability and on-stage charisma dwarfed the others. For
the band's 2001 album, Celebrity, Timberlake had co-written the band's three
singles and had taken center stage in the videos and on most of the
promotional material. Even the album cover showed him front and center
compared to the others.

So when word came out that the band was taking a hiatus and he was recording
a solo album, it seemed like a natural next step. Unless you were an NSYNC
fan, of course. Surely, that was a sign that Timberlake was going to pull a
Michael Jackson and go solo, right?

Well, not at first. "There's no reason my solo career and NSYNC can't coexist
in the same universe," Timberlake insisted to the New York Post in November
2002. "NSYNC is in no danger. The break we're on was a conscious move. We all
wanted to do it, and we were ready to do it. Performing at stadiums every
night for 50,000 fans takes a little out of you."

At the VMAs that year, all seemed well. Despite it being his first
performance as a solo artist, Timberlake looked like a seasoned pro and
brought down the house with his rendition of "Like I Love You," the lead
single from his solo debut album, Justified. He didn't get the big headlines
that year, thanks to the performance listed in the "Honorable Mention"
section of this piece. Nevertheless, it was obvious to everyone watching that
he was perfectly capable of doing this on his own -- including his bandmates
who had a front row seat to watch Timberlake's coming out party.

Indeed, when Timberlake and three other members of NSYNC showed up later to
present the Viewers' Choice Award (an award NSYNC had won the previous three
years but weren't up for that year because of their hiatus), the atmosphere
seemed awkward. Chris Kirkpatrick, always Justin's best friend in the group,
tried to hype him up to the crowd. This drew a good-natured smile from Joey
Fatone, however, J.C. Chasez, the other frontman in NSYNC, barely cracked a
grin.

That probably should have been a sign that all wasn't well. And as it turned
out, it wasn't. The band's hiatus ended up becoming a permanent one, as
Timberlake went on to become a superstar (although his star has definitely
faded in the last several years). The full band has only performed twice
since 2002: singing the national anthem at a charity event in 2004 (according
to Lance Bass, the band had a meeting afterwards in which Timberlake
officially left the group) and doing a one-off reunion at the 2013 VMAs when
Timberlake received the Video Vanguard Award). Kirkpatrick, Fatone and Bass
did perform at WWE star Alexa Bliss' April 2022 wedding to singer Ryan
Cabrera -- let's put it this way, there's a reason why JT and JC did most of
the singing.

Poison, "Unskinny Bop" "Talk Dirty to Me," 1991 MTV VMAs

In many ways, the 1991 VMAs represented the end of an era. Grunge and gangsta
rap were on the horizon, but hadn't yet gone mainstream. As such, there were
a lot of winners, nominees, presenters and performers that year that would be
out-of-style by the time of the landmark 1992 show. For instance, did you
know Gerardo's "Rico Suave" was nominated for Best Male Video and Best New
Artist in 1991? Or that C+C Music Factory got seven nominations and were one
of the big winners on the night? Or that Warrant got nominated for Best Hard
Rock/Heavy Metal Video (and it wasn't for "Cherry Pie")?

Meanwhile, one of the performers that night was Poison. The band's 1990
album, the triple-platinum Flesh & Blood, produced two big hits, "Unskinny
Bop" and "Something To Believe In," which reached #3 and #4 on the Billboard
100, respectively. So they were a natural choice to perform at the 1991 VMAs
(although, interestingly enough, they weren't nominated for any awards that
night, which speaks to the critical dissonance that has always followed
Poison around).

Whether they were in the best shape to perform is another story. The foursome
had long been known as wild, decadent and volatile. Band members already
didn't like each other very much -- throw in some coke, alcohol and other
chemicals and things could get explosive. At a sportsbar in New Orleans
shortly before the VMAs that year, singer Bret Michaels and guitarist C.C.
Deville got into a fistfight. "Me and him were having a few words, having a
good time, next thing you know - maybe a couple drinks, a little substance
here - next thing you know a few words, and we are beating the living crap
out of each other," Michaels recalled in a 2015 interview.

Click here to read the complete article
Ubi the shithead forgery and Usenet abuse (was: Career Killers: The MTV Video Music Awards)

<u5o9gs$rr4q$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188939&group=rec.arts.tv#188939

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.mtv,rec.music.misc,rec.arts.tv
Subject: Ubi the shithead forgery and Usenet abuse (was: Career Killers: The MTV Video Music Awards)
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 21:47:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 21:47 UTC

tmc1982@gmail.com wrote:

>https://victor-li . . .

This was a Ubi the shithead forgery of Terrence Clay and Usenet abuse.

Re: Career Killers: The MTV Video Music Awards

<855027291.707781751.576450.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188949&group=rec.arts.tv#188949

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.mtv,rec.music.misc
Subject: Re: Career Killers: The MTV Video Music Awards
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 15:38:04 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 22:38 UTC

<tmc1982@gmail.com> wrote:
> https://victor-li.com/mtvawards/#more-21702
>
> Might as well take "video" out of the name since MTV doesn't play them
> anymore. (Image via Wikimedia Commons)

They never did within my experience.

We spent years with Cox cable sticking door hangers or sending us letters
every month telling us cable was now available. Then when you called to get
the installation the annoyed people on the phone would tell you that wasn’t
true.

It was the late 1980s before we finally got Cox. By then MTV was only
showing three hours of videos in the middle of the night and what we
watched was stuff like Remote Control. For music we watched VH1. That
didn’t last very long as I soon bought a house and was cable free once
again.

> [...]
>
> Nevertheless, the band got a great reception and fans seemed thrilled to see
> them again. When Rose finished the performance, he had an interview with
> MTV's Kurt Loder, where it was widely assumed Rose would triumphantly
> announce that Chinese Democracy was about to hit stores soon. Surely, it was
> part of a solid comeback plan that would catapult the new GNR back to the top
> of the heap, right?
>
> Instead, he revealed the album, which had been gestating since the mid-90s,
> wasn't close to being done and that fans would have to keep waiting. "You'll
> see [the album], but I don't know if 'soon' is the word," he said.
>
> In fact, it would be another six years before it came out. By that time, any
> momentum the new GNR might have had from the VMA performance was long gone.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Career Killers: The MTV Video Music Awards

<U5qe25$14uu1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189029&group=rec.arts.tv#189029

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.mtv,rec.music.misc
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2023 18:51:58 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 22:51 UTC

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
> <tmc1982@gmail.com> wrote:

>> https://victor-li.com/mtvawards/#more-21702
>>
>> Might as well take "video" out of the name since MTV doesn't play them
>> anymore. (Image via Wikimedia Commons)
>
>They never did within my experience.
>
>It was the late 1980s before we finally got Cox. By then MTV was only
>showing three hours of videos in the middle of the night and what we
>watched was stuff like Remote Control. For music we watched VH1. That
>didn't last very long as I soon bought a house and was cable free once
>again.

I was in college at the time and I remember them mostly playing musicvids.

It wasn't until after THE REAL WORLD that they began playing original
material.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: Career Killers: The MTV Video Music Awards

<476452bc-ed59-4322-af64-5b0d79fee1aen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189426&group=rec.arts.tv#189426

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 15:00:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: edstasia...@gmail.com (Ed Stasiak)
 by: Ed Stasiak - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 22:00 UTC

>anim8rfsk
>
> Rage Against the Machine, 2000 MTV VMAs

These guys used to be cool but the same band that once
sang "fuck you I won't do what ya tell me!" now demand
obedience to the State...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWXazVhlyxQ

Cover version for BTR1701:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOUYAsWhZZY