Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 04:27:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Comparing Michael Jackson and John Lennon
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 11:27 UTC

On Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 3:11:49 PM UTC-4, Ray wrote:
> On Jul 1, 1:53 pm, P-Dub <pwolf...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > Here's the thing for me, John was a genuine innovator who really tried
> > > to push the envelope of popular music, MJ for all his success mostly
> > > just took what other people had done and dumbed it down for mass
> > > consumption. I have looked long and hard for an orignal idea in his
> > > work and I have yet to find it.
> >
> > I am a huge fan of the Beatles and John Lennon. But at the same time, I
> > have to chime in for Michael Jackson. He may have been a wacko, and
> > possibly a child molester. But nobody can deny that he was one amazing
> > songwriter and performer. The Thriller album (and for that matter -
> > pretty much all he had done) was incredibly creative, and contained
> > infections melodies, rhythms, studio innovations, and excitement. His
> > stuff was always highly creative, and 'pushing the envelope'.
> >
> > I do not agree that he 'took what other people had done and dumbed it
> > down'. Nothing could be further from the truth.
> >
> > IMO, Michael Jackson and John Lennon were on equal footing! They were
> > both geniuses, both original, and both one-of-a-kind. And they were both
> > incredibly successful. And they both deserved the love and praise of the
> > masses.
> >
> > P-Dub: I'm Bad
> I think Thriller provides a perfect example. Anyone who saw the Alice
> Cooper "Welcome to My Nightmare" tour could tell you just how much of
> thriller was 'borrowed' right down to the dancing and having vincent
> price do a voiceover.

I know I'm replying to an old post; it doesn't mean the topic is any less interesting.

Anyway, yes, Alice Cooper used a Vincent Price voiceover on that tour. He also did a video for a song called "Black Widow" in which Price made an appearance. It was a combination of music and camp horror; it must have seemed far out at the time.

Michael Jackson ripped off Alice Cooper's idea, probably assuming his audience was too young to be aware of the AC/Vincent Price video.

Re: Comparing Michael Jackson and John Lennon

<e4c0c80a-f48d-4166-8def-53ac66bec699n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1894&group=rec.music.beatles#1894

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 11:39:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: RJKel...@yahoo.com (RJKe...@yahoo.com)
 by: RJKe...@yahoo.com - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 18:39 UTC

On Sunday, August 29, 2021 at 7:27:20 AM UTC-4, Norbert K wrote:
> On Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 3:11:49 PM UTC-4, Ray wrote:

> > > I am a huge fan of the Beatles and John Lennon. But at the same time, I
> > > have to chime in for Michael Jackson. He may have been a wacko, and
> > > possibly a child molester. But nobody can deny that he was one amazing
> > > songwriter and performer. The Thriller album (and for that matter -
> > > pretty much all he had done) was incredibly creative, and contained
> > > infections melodies, rhythms, studio innovations, and excitement. His
> > > stuff was always highly creative, and 'pushing the envelope'.
> > >
> > > I do not agree that he 'took what other people had done and dumbed it
> > > down'. Nothing could be further from the truth.
> > >
> > > IMO, Michael Jackson and John Lennon were on equal footing! They were
> > > both geniuses, both original, and both one-of-a-kind. And they were both
> > > incredibly successful. And they both deserved the love and praise of the
> > > masses.
> > >
> > > P-Dub: I'm Bad
> > I think Thriller provides a perfect example. Anyone who saw the Alice
> > Cooper "Welcome to My Nightmare" tour could tell you just how much of
> > thriller was 'borrowed' right down to the dancing and having vincent
> > price do a voiceover.
>
> I know I'm replying to an old post; it doesn't mean the topic is any less interesting.
>
> Anyway, yes, Alice Cooper used a Vincent Price voiceover on that tour. He also did a video for a song called "Black Widow" in which Price made an appearance. It was a combination of music and camp horror; it must have seemed far out at the time.
>
> Michael Jackson ripped off Alice Cooper's idea, probably assuming his audience was too young to be aware of the AC/Vincent Price vide
Jacko is said to have ripped off from Ricj
K James, though I forget which James song.