Newsgroups: alt.tv.snl,rec.arts.tv
Subject: Who is Your All-Time Favorite SNL Recurring Character?
From: tmc1...@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 00:12:33 -0700 (PDT)
 by: tmc1...@gmail.com - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 07:12 UTC

https://popculturereferences.com/who-is-your-all-time-favorite-snl-recurring-character/

Today, I�m asking you who is your all-time favorite recurring character from Saturday
Night Live?

Pop Culture Theme Time is a feature where I put a question to you to see what you think
about a particular theme. I might later revisit the theme for a future Drawing Crazy
Patterns or Top Five.

Obviously, with its weekly format, Saturday Night Live quickly realized that having
recurring characters was the way to go (I mean, it�s not like that wasn�t already an
obvious thing from previous sketch comedy shows, of course, but still, it�s important to
note that the show didn�t INITIALLY kick off with recurring characters), and now, the
show is probably best remembered FOR its many recurring characters, a number of which
have gone on to have films based on them.

So, with that in mind, who do you think was the show�s BEST recurring character?

It�s such a tough question, but I am going to go with Bill Hader�s Stefon (SNL�s �city
correspondent,� who recommends fun places to go in New York City. Of course, the issue
is that everything he recommends is incredibly inappropriate), as the character, in and
of himself, was very funny in the absurd nightclubs that he recommends, but writer John
Mulaney (who co-created the character with Hader) took the fascinating approach of
altering the jokes right before Hader would go on the air, so Hader would have to read
some of the jokes for the very first time LIVE on national TV. It took an already funny
bit and made it appointment viewing to see Hader fight through the jokes, as you would
see his eyes light up when he read ahead and saw the incoming new joke), and he tried
not to break, but Mulaney made it so, so hard.

Chris Farley�s ersatz motivational speaker, Matt Foley, was almost my pick. A Bob
Odenkirk creation, Farley threw himself into the character with such gusto that he would
literally injure himself doing some of Foley�s pratfalls (in his very first appearance,
he falls on to a coffee table, something that was NOT in the script, shocking David
Spade and Christina Applegate, playing the kids he was giving a motivational speech to).

Okay, so that�s my pick. What�s yours?

Ubi the shithead forges Terrence Clay and abuses Usenet (was: Who is Your All-Time Favorite SNL Recurring Character?)

<u5vp1e$1vcd7$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189242&group=rec.arts.tv#189242

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.snl,rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 17:54:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 17:54 UTC

tmc1982@gmail.com wrote:

>https://popculturereferences. . . .

This is Ubi the shithead's forgery of Terrence Clay. It's also Usenet
abuse with all the preloaded headers.