Lemmings don't grow older, they just die.

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)Ian J. Ball
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)Dimensional Traveler
||`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)Ubiquitous
|`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)Arthur Lipscomb
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)anim8rfsk
 +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)anim8rfsk
 |+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)Ian J. Ball
 ||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)Arthur Lipscomb
 || `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)anim8rfsk
 ||  +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)Arthur Lipscomb
 ||  |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)anim8rfsk
 ||  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)Ian J. Ball
 |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)Ubiquitous
 | `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)anim8rfsk
 +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)Arthur Lipscomb
 |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)anim8rfsk
 | `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)shawn
 `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)Ubiquitous
  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)anim8rfsk

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)

<UBI20230612@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189676&group=rec.arts.tv#189676

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 04:30:40 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 08:30 UTC

After an arduous workout, I watched:

Nothing.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)

<u69sl1$3jv6i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189701&group=rec.arts.tv#189701

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 06:57:54 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 13:57 UTC

On 2023-06-13 08:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

soaps: DOOL - Dmitri threatens to kill Leo, for revenge! but Gwen
breaks it up, and then Dmitri has to pretend to be nice to try to
"romance" Gwen, which he does in a rather-too-obvious fashion IMO - I
don't think Gwen was buying it. Bonnie can't hold it in, and tells
Justin that Sarah is preggers with Xander's baby. Maggie offers Xander
the Titan job, but he's going to turn it down so he can canoodle at
work with Chloe Lane. Chad goes to visit the grave of... Red Abby?
Crazy Abby? PLL (Bitches!) Abby? - Which Abby is it?! Inquiring minds
want to know?!!... and I think has finally removed his wedding ring so
he can move on with NuHottStephanie.
GH - This ep was almost a total write-off. As I expected Ned is in a
coma and can't rat out Nina, but I think Chase has evidence that Nina
was there. The idiots convince Dex to continue "working" for Sonny over
Josslyn's protestations (the only thing she's been right about
lately!!).

Andor (Disney+) - "Reckoning" and "Aldhani" (ep's #1.3 & #1.4). The
show does perk up with episode #1.3 which is actually good.
Andor meets with the buyer, Luthen (this ends up being Stellan
Skarsgård!), of the doohickey, but it's at the same time as the private
security force goons show up. They almost capture Andor and Luthen -
and they lose the doohickey - but they manage to escape, injuring or
killing (with help from some of the townies) a good number of the
security goons along the way. Also, the "boyfriend" of Bix (Adria
Arjona), who sold Andor out, gets killed, and Bix is almost arrested.
Ep. #1.4 is back to being a "set-up" episode - Luthen convinces
Andor to join the Resistance, and immediately puts him on a dangerous
mission, that is led by Vel (Faye Marsay), in a last-minute change that
the rest of the rebels on the mission don't like.

Control (Prime) - Decent low-budget skiffy flick. After some hints, it
opens with a woman (Sara Mitich, who has done a Lifetime flick or
two...) confined to a single room. An (altered?) voice comes over an
intercom, and gives her a series of tasks to perform within the time
allotted - if she doesn't, the voice threatens to kill her daughter.
Eventually, the tasks get to the skiffy part of this.
I think the early parts of this flick, where she's in the room alone
(later confined to a chair), are the best. Unfortunately, I think the
movie makes a mistake when they put someone in the room with her later
on.
This does come to a conclusion, of sorts, and most things get
explained, though I can't say I was 100% satisfied with the ending, and
maybe the biggest questions (who has her?! and what year is this?!) is
never answered.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)

<u6a09j$3kbcl$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189711&group=rec.arts.tv#189711

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 08:00:04 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 15:00 UTC

Stargate: SG-1 S6E11 'Prometheus'
"Carter is approached in a parking lot by TV reporter Julia Donovan who
wants to know about a multi-billion dollar project known as Prometheus.
She also has a piece of trinium. Carter refuses to answer any questions.
Donovan is due to air her report in four days time and refuses to back
down, even after the President intervenes with the head of the TV
network to kill the story. As a compromise, the military agrees to let
Donovan film the X-303 but what they really want to get is her source
after which they will destroy all of the evidence. O'Neill doesn't think
it's a good idea but the decision is made. Donovan and her boss, Al
Martell, get a thorough tour of the ship. The camera crew accompanying
them however soon take control of the ship and have threatened to blow
it up unless Adrian Conrad and Col. Frank Simmons are released from
custody."

Colonel Frank Simmons: Are we gonna get into hyperdrive anytime soon here?
Adrian Conrad: I'm working on it. The design is incredibly crude. It
amazes me that a race as backward as yours would even think of
attempting interstellar travel.
Colonel Frank Simmons: Spare me the supervillain riff. We're on the
clock here.

Major Samantha Carter: Prometheus is the third in a series of designs
that incorporates both human and alien technology.
Al Martell: You're saying little green men helped you build this?
Major Samantha Carter: Actually, they're gray. All the key systems were
reverse engineered from a ship that crashed a hundred miles north of
Fairbanks, Alaska in 1978. It was only in the last few years that our
technology evolved to a point where we could take advantage of what we had.
Jonas Quinn: [quietly] Fairbanks?
Major Samantha Carter: Better than Roswell.

Trivia: The corridor at around 33 minutes that Carter was working in
appears to be the same as the Jeffries tubes in Star Trek: The Next
Generation (1987) (The Enterprise D). (Well, it is partially built off
alien tech.... :P )
Oh, and by the way, bye-bye Q.
And Thor stops by to say ... to be continued.

Commentary: Director Peter Woeste (wasn't he just a DP a couple episodes
ago?), DP Andrew Wilson and Chief Lighting Technician Rick Dead. Oh,
this is going to be a truely _thrilling_ discussion of light sources....
Yup, I was right, just rive...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Not only was the ship
Prometheus not finished in this episode, the Prometheus set was
incomplete too. They were continuing to build it as the episode was
being shot. The scene where Major Carter is using a plasma torch on a
bulkhead wasn't faked. Amanda Tapping learned how to operate a plasma
torch and actually cut a steel plate for the shots. Q prefers to wear
suits when on camera. And a rubber chicken went into space with him. O_o

---------------------

Stargate: SG-1 S6E12 'Unnatural Selection'
"Having regained control of the X-303, the SG-1 team finds itself in an
unknown part of space. Rescue comes in the form of the Asgard,
specifically Thor, who needs their help. The Asgard home world has been
overrun by the Replicators and they require SG-1's help as well as the
relatively low tech X-303. The Asgard had set a trap for the Replicators
and hoped to use a time dilation device that would give them the time
they need to find a way to defeat them. The problem is that the
Replicators have turned off the device and the Asgard want SG-1 to go in
and activate it. They accept the assignment but to meet their objective,
O'Neill will face a moral dilemma."

Colonel Jack O'Neill: They didn't go for it.
Major Samantha Carter: They didn't approve the mission?
Colonel Jack O'Neill: Well no, they did that. Once they knew the stakes
and the whole fate of the universe stuff, both the President and Hammond
realized we had no choice. He sends good luck, God speed and all those
things he says when he thinks we're gonna die.
Major Samantha Carter: So what didn't they go for?
Colonel Jack O'Neill: The name I suggested.
Major Samantha Carter: For the ship?
Colonel Jack O'Neill: Yeah.
Major Samantha Carter: Yeah, sir, we can't call it the Enterprise.
Colonel Jack O'Neill: Why not?

Colonel Jack O'Neill: [after being informed that the Replicators have
reversed the effects of the Time-dilation device] Well I gotta tell ya,
this changes things. Carter, how does this change things?
Major Samantha Carter: I don't know, sir... I guess it doesn't.
Colonel Jack O'Neill: You mean, we got the same problem we had an hour ago?
Major Samantha Carter: Well the difference is, in that hour, four days
have passed for the replicators. Depending on when they did this,
relatively speaking, they could have experienced hundreds of years.
Colonel Jack O'Neill: I get it.
Thor: If you wish to reconsider...
Colonel Jack O'Neill: No, no. I full-well expected the other shoe to
drop eventually.
Thor: We can only hope that this will be the last footwear to fall.

Colonel Jack O'Neill: What is with you people? Time machines are nothin'
but trouble. Even *we* know that.

Jonas Quinn: You instructed every replicator out there to come to you?
Colonel Jack O'Neill: I have a theory why you lost the war.

Goofs: Just after Carter reveals that there was nothing left on the
planet but the miles-deep stack of Replicator blocks and the building in
front of them, they go down stairs that are full of spider webs.
Thor states that they sent out an instruction to all replicators to
"come forth" and gather on Hala. If this is the case there is no
"replicator dominated space" any more for the Prometheus to fly through.
There is also no reason for the Asgard to have abandoned their entire
galaxy.

There is a great scene that cracked me up. After Thor takes the X-303
to Earth, drops off unwanted passengers and takes up supplies for Our
Heroes O'Neill goes to eat. He finds Jonas and Teal'c pigging out on
ice cream because Thor didn't take into account the need to keep frozen
food frozen. O'Neill sits down and moves a fork towards the cup of ice
cream Teal'c is eating. Teal'c jerks the ice cream away while giving
O'Neill an angry aggrieved look. Then, without changing expression or
looking away from O'Neill reaches into a box and grabs another ice cream
cup and "places" it in O'Neill's hand. ROFL. :D :D :D Then after a
little bit Teal'c just switches cups with O'Neill.

One of the humanoid Replicators would go on to play.... Helo in Nu-BSG.

Commentary: Director Andy Mikita, and DP Jim Menard.

----------------------

History's Greatest Mysteries S4E17 'The Search for El Dorado'
"It is a legendary ancient city, said to be overflowing with gold; for
centuries, explorers put their lives on the line searching for it; the
quest to uncover this infamous city continues."

What Did You Watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)

<1014213773.708366506.986496.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189722&group=rec.arts.tv#189722

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 09:48:22 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 16:48 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> After an arduous workout, I watched:
>
> Nothing.
>
> What did you watch?

Treat Williams *is* THE PHANTOM! (Discussed recently.)
I like this movie. And it’s absolutely beautiful to look at.

So in the beginning the rope bridge collapses with pretty much everybody on
the wrong side of it. How did they get across the ravine?

Catherine Zeta Jones is absolutely gorgeous.

I wonder why Diana Palmer’s “parents“ turned out to be her aunt and uncle.
It doesn’t seem to advance the narrative any.

Even though the first time he shoots at anybody, he shoots the gun out of
their hand like the Lone Ranger, I love how when it comes down to it the
Phantom Just Starts shooting the bad guys dead. I mean, they are pirates.

Patrick McGoohan is great.

I love Devil telling Hero the plan.

There’s a credit for miniature aircraft. And I didn’t ever spot them.

Wikipedia says there are scenes that were cut of the Phantom fighting lions
and snakes. I think that’s probably just as well.

An awful lot of it feels like they, just storyboard it with clips from
other movies, including doc savage. But it still seems to work.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)

<1551138801.708392880.159171.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189760&group=rec.arts.tv#189760

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 17:07:53 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 00:07 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> After an arduous workout, I watched:
>>
>> Nothing.
>>
>> What did you watch?

Hey, thanks for asking!

STARZ ON MARS S01E02 “ Water, Crisis“.
So the first mission requires a couple people to go out and clean the solar
panels. They do this by throwing buckets of water at them because that’s a
good idea on a planet without water. The water doesn’t explode into vapor
or anything like you’d expect. The stupidest girl in the group, the one
from modern family, can’t figure out what to do with the leftover water.
She doesn’t want to lug it back. Instead of throwing the last of the water
at the solar panels because why not, she dumps it out on the ground.

They pick a new leader, every 48 hours. They decided to pick Bruce Willis
daughter, who, despite being a complete bonehead, airhead moron, who’s tiny
bit of original intelligence was literally decimated by the drugs, is still
probably the second brightest girl on the mission.

Oh no the water supply dump exploded (it did?) And all the water exploded
into vapor. OK, fine.

So the big mission is to go out to a giant ravine, repel down it, go inside
the giant caves, use the heater to melt the ice on the ceiling, and through
some mechanism that was unclear pump it back up to the top. Their goal is
to fill all four 50 gallon containers.

The X leader, who is this huge guy who plays sports of some kind, refuses
to go down into the caves (the Shat told them to send their strongest
people down.) because there might be spiders. The modern family girl asks
if she can go down instead of somebody actually qualified and for some
reason Willis daughter Lets her. So everybody in the cave has to hold this
tarp and redirect the water into the hose.

With six minutes to go Tom Schwartz who is apparently famous for Vanderpump
rules, tells them they have 3 1/2 barrels full. But then the pipe laying in
the cave comes apart and they don’t get anymore and then it turns out Tom
can’t count to four and they only had 2 1/2 barrels. The mission has failed
and they don’t have enough water. so one of them Hass to go. Which doesn’t
make a whole lot of sense because one of them has to go whether a mission
fails or not.

The first one they save is the idiot from modern family even though she’s
arguably the one who screwed up the mission. It comes down to Willis‘s
daughter, because she let the idiot from modern family go down to the cave
And Tom because he’s a guy and white and straight. Their excuse is that he
misreported how much water they had but why would that of mattered? If he
had said 2 1/2 barrels instead of 3 1/2 barrels they still would have ended
up with not enough water. There’s nothing they could do differently.
Except leave the modern family girl behind.

In a surprising twist they kick out Willis. Despite her argument that she
is mission critical because feelings.

With only 125 gallons of water the team decides to use it to take showers.

Next week their hydroponic garden mysteriously bursts into flame. What?
There’s nothing in there, but plants in water!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)

<u6b230$3opcs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189765&group=rec.arts.tv#189765

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 17:36:48 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 00:36 UTC

On 2023-06-14 00:07:53 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> [...]
>
> The first one they save is the idiot from modern family even though she’s
> arguably the one who screwed up the mission. It comes down to Willis‘s
> daughter, because she let the idiot from modern family go down to the cave
> And Tom because he’s a guy and white and straight. Their excuse is that he
> misreported how much water they had but why would that of mattered? If he
> had said 2 1/2 barrels instead of 3 1/2 barrels they still would have ended
> up with not enough water. There’s nothing they could do differently.
> Except leave the modern family girl behind.
>
> In a surprising twist they kick out Willis. Despite her argument that she
> is mission critical because feelings.
>
> With only 125 gallons of water the team decides to use it to take showers.
>
> Next week their hydroponic garden mysteriously bursts into flame. What?
> There’s nothing in there, but plants in water!

I am glad you are watching this, so the rest of us don't have to!!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)

<u6b2mv$3op1p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189766&group=rec.arts.tv#189766

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 17:47:28 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 00:47 UTC

On 6/13/2023 6:57 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2023-06-13 08:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> soaps: DOOL - Dmitri threatens to kill Leo, for revenge! but Gwen breaks
> it up, and then Dmitri has to pretend to be nice to try to "romance"
> Gwen, which he does in a rather-too-obvious fashion IMO - I don't think
> Gwen was buying it. Bonnie can't hold it in, and tells Justin that Sarah
> is preggers with Xander's baby. Maggie offers Xander the Titan job, but
> he's going to turn it down so he can canoodle at work with Chloe Lane.
> Chad goes to visit the grave of... Red Abby? Crazy Abby? PLL (Bitches!)
> Abby? - Which Abby is it?! Inquiring minds want to know?!!... and I
> think has finally removed his wedding ring so he can move on with
> NuHottStephanie.
>   GH - This ep was almost a total write-off. As I expected Ned is in a
> coma and can't rat out Nina, but I think Chase has evidence that Nina
> was there. The idiots convince Dex to continue "working" for Sonny over
> Josslyn's protestations (the only thing she's been right about lately!!).
>
> Andor (Disney+) - "Reckoning" and "Aldhani" (ep's #1.3 & #1.4). The show
> does perk up with episode #1.3 which is actually good.
>   Andor meets with the buyer, Luthen (this ends up being Stellan
> Skarsgård!), of the doohickey, but it's at the same time as the private
> security force goons show up. They almost capture Andor and Luthen - and
> they lose the doohickey - but they manage to escape, injuring or killing
> (with help from some of the townies) a good number of the security goons
> along the way. Also, the "boyfriend" of Bix (Adria Arjona), who sold
> Andor out, gets killed, and Bix is almost arrested.
>   Ep. #1.4 is back to being a "set-up" episode - Luthen convinces Andor
> to join the Resistance, and immediately puts him on a dangerous mission,
> that is led by Vel (Faye Marsay), in a last-minute change that the rest
> of the rebels on the mission don't like.

In hindsight, this is feeling slow. But only because I know what's to come.

> Control (Prime) - Decent low-budget skiffy flick. After some hints, it
> opens with a woman (Sara Mitich, who has done a Lifetime flick or
> two...) confined to a single room. An (altered?) voice comes over an
> intercom, and gives her a series of tasks to perform within the time
> allotted - if she doesn't, the voice threatens to kill her daughter.
> Eventually, the tasks get to the skiffy part of this.

I'll stop there.
Added to the watch list.

The only thing I watched was "The Flash" movie in a special early
screening. I plan to see it again during the regular release on
Thursday and will discuss after I've seen it a second time.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)

<u6bal7$3tdo6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189779&group=rec.arts.tv#189779

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 19:19:40 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 02:19 UTC

On 6/13/2023 9:48 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> After an arduous workout, I watched:
>>
>> Nothing.
>>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Treat Williams *is* THE PHANTOM! (Discussed recently.)

Yeah, I thought of that too.

> I like this movie. And it’s absolutely beautiful to look at.
>
> So in the beginning the rope bridge collapses with pretty much everybody on
> the wrong side of it. How did they get across the ravine?
>
> Catherine Zeta Jones is absolutely gorgeous.

I didn't realize that was her at first but I had to look up who the
actress was.

> I wonder why Diana Palmer’s “parents“ turned out to be her aunt and uncle.
> It doesn’t seem to advance the narrative any.
>
> Even though the first time he shoots at anybody, he shoots the gun out of
> their hand like the Lone Ranger, I love how when it comes down to it the
> Phantom Just Starts shooting the bad guys dead. I mean, they are pirates.
>
> Patrick McGoohan is great.
>
> I love Devil telling Hero the plan.
>
> There’s a credit for miniature aircraft. And I didn’t ever spot them.
>
> Wikipedia says there are scenes that were cut of the Phantom fighting lions
> and snakes. I think that’s probably just as well.
>
> An awful lot of it feels like they, just storyboard it with clips from
> other movies, including doc savage. But it still seems to work.

They are also ripping off "The Shadow" which came out two years before.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)

<u6bb5e$3tdo6$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189781&group=rec.arts.tv#189781

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 20:11:42 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 03:11 UTC

On 6/13/2023 5:36 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:

>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>
>> STARZ ON MARS S01E02 “ Water, Crisis“.
snip

> I am glad you are watching this, so the rest of us don't have to!!

This on Fox? I saw tons of commercials for it, but the commercials
never explained the premise of the show.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)

<1071213222.708411940.841227.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189790&group=rec.arts.tv#189790

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 22:27:45 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 05:27 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 6/13/2023 9:48 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>>> After an arduous workout, I watched:
>>>
>>> Nothing.
>>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Treat Williams *is* THE PHANTOM! (Discussed recently.)
>
> Yeah, I thought of that too.
>
>> I like this movie. And it’s absolutely beautiful to look at.
>>
>> So in the beginning the rope bridge collapses with pretty much everybody on
>> the wrong side of it. How did they get across the ravine?
>>
>> Catherine Zeta Jones is absolutely gorgeous.
>>

> I didn't realize that was her at first but I had to look up who the
> actress was.

She’s not really recognizable for some reason, and I’m not sure why. It
took me a while to figure out who Diana Palmer’s uncle was as well; he’s
the chief of police from Nero Wolfe!

>> I wonder why Diana Palmer’s “parents“ turned out to be her aunt and uncle.
>> It doesn’t seem to advance the narrative any.
>>
>> Even though the first time he shoots at anybody, he shoots the gun out of
>> their hand like the Lone Ranger, I love how when it comes down to it the
>> Phantom Just Starts shooting the bad guys dead. I mean, they are pirates.
>>
>> Patrick McGoohan is great.
>>
>> I love Devil telling Hero the plan.
>>
>> There’s a credit for miniature aircraft. And I didn’t ever spot them.
>>
>> Wikipedia says there are scenes that were cut of the Phantom fighting lions
>> and snakes. I think that’s probably just as well.
>>
>> An awful lot of it feels like they, just storyboard it with clips from
>> other movies, including doc savage. But it still seems to work.
>>

> They are also ripping off "The Shadow" which came out two years before.

Add Indiana Jones and I’m sure there must be some Rocketeer work in there.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)

<1525209353.708412310.346003.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189791&group=rec.arts.tv#189791

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 22:27:46 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 05:27 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>>
>>> STARZ ON MARS S01E02 “ Water, Crisis“.
> snip
>>
>> I am glad you are watching this, so the rest of us don't have to!!
>>

> This on Fox? I saw tons of commercials for it, but the commercials
> never explained the premise of the show.

Yes, fox.

A dozen incredibly low rent celebrities are put in a Mars simulator in
Australia and have to complete tasks before voting one of them off every 48
hours (one episode), the conceit being that the simulator doesn’t have the
supplies to keep them all alive.

The simulator itself is pretty cool though. And of course it stars the
Shat.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)

<rqki8ih04tqfsl8vhd72gnd0ov0iipfqc3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189797&group=rec.arts.tv#189797

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 01:43:52 -0400
 by: shawn - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 05:43 UTC

On Tue, 13 Jun 2023 22:27:45 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> Treat Williams *is* THE PHANTOM! (Discussed recently.)
>>
>> Yeah, I thought of that too.
>>
>>> I like this movie. And it’s absolutely beautiful to look at.
>>>
>>> So in the beginning the rope bridge collapses with pretty much everybody on
>>> the wrong side of it. How did they get across the ravine?
>>>
>>> Catherine Zeta Jones is absolutely gorgeous.
>>>

>> I didn't realize that was her at first but I had to look up who the
>> actress was.
>
>She’s not really recognizable for some reason, and I’m not sure why. It
>took me a while to figure out who Diana Palmer’s uncle was as well; he’s
>the chief of police from Nero Wolfe!

Maybe it's the cigarette that's throwing you off?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvK9ZJVsiPM

Other than that she looks and sounds like her.

>>> I wonder why Diana Palmer’s “parents“ turned out to be her aunt and uncle.
>>> It doesn’t seem to advance the narrative any.
>>>
>>> Even though the first time he shoots at anybody, he shoots the gun out of
>>> their hand like the Lone Ranger, I love how when it comes down to it the
>>> Phantom Just Starts shooting the bad guys dead. I mean, they are pirates.
>>>
>>> Patrick McGoohan is great.
>>>
>>> I love Devil telling Hero the plan.
>>>
>>> There’s a credit for miniature aircraft. And I didn’t ever spot them.
>>>
>>> Wikipedia says there are scenes that were cut of the Phantom fighting lions
>>> and snakes. I think that’s probably just as well.
>>>
>>> An awful lot of it feels like they, just storyboard it with clips from
>>> other movies, including doc savage. But it still seems to work.
>>>

>> They are also ripping off "The Shadow" which came out two years before.
>>

>Add Indiana Jones and I’m sure there must be some Rocketeer work in there.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)

<u6bk4m$3ud33$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189798&group=rec.arts.tv#189798

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 22:44:54 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 05:44 UTC

On 6/13/2023 10:27 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>> snip
>>>
>>> I am glad you are watching this, so the rest of us don't have to!!
>>>

>> This on Fox? I saw tons of commercials for it, but the commercials
>> never explained the premise of the show.
>>

> Yes, fox.
>
> A dozen incredibly low rent celebrities are put in a Mars simulator in
> Australia and have to complete tasks before voting one of them off every 48
> hours (one episode), the conceit being that the simulator doesn’t have the
> supplies to keep them all alive.
>
> The simulator itself is pretty cool though. And of course it stars the
> Shat.

Thanks. I *may* try to check it out.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)

<u6c73j$h5u$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189826&group=rec.arts.tv#189826

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 04:30:41 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 08:30 UTC

In article <u6a09j$3kbcl$2@dont-email.me>, dtravel@sonic.net wrote:

>History's Greatest Mysteries S4E17 'The Search for El Dorado'
>"It is a legendary ancient city, said to be overflowing with gold; for
>centuries, explorers put their lives on the line searching for it; the
>quest to uncover this infamous city continues."

Yeah, not a very good one, considering it is generally accepted that the so-
called City of Gold was seen at sunset, making it appear to be golden.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)

<u6c76n$h5u$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189827&group=rec.arts.tv#189827

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 04:30:42 -0400

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>> After an arduous workout, I watched:
>>
>> Nothing.
>>
>> What did you watch?
>
>Treat Williams *is* THE PHANTOM! (Discussed recently.)
>I like this movie. And it's absolutely beautiful to look at.

I thought Billy Zane played him?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)

<u6c7a2$h5u$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189828&group=rec.arts.tv#189828

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 04:30:43 -0400

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>> After an arduous workout, I watched:
>>
>> Nothing.
>>
>> What did you watch?
>

>Hey, thanks for asking!
>
>STARZ ON MARS S01E02 “ Water, Crisis“.

Dammit, I keep forgetting to watch this show!
Reading your recaps isn't motivating me.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)

<2070880184.708437907.604627.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189842&group=rec.arts.tv#189842

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 05:29:17 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 12:29 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 6/13/2023 10:27 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> snip

>>> This on Fox? I saw tons of commercials for it, but the commercials
>>> never explained the premise of the show.
>>>

>> Yes, fox.
>>
>> A dozen incredibly low rent celebrities are put in a Mars simulator in
>> Australia and have to complete tasks before voting one of them off every 48
>> hours (one episode), the conceit being that the simulator doesn’t have the
>> supplies to keep them all alive.
>>
>> The simulator itself is pretty cool though. And of course it stars the
>> Shat.
>>

> Thanks. I *may* try to check it out.

:)

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)

<1015785559.708438090.576347.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189843&group=rec.arts.tv#189843

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 05:29:18 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 12:29 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>>> After an arduous workout, I watched:
>>>
>>> Nothing.
>>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>

>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>
>> STARZ ON MARS S01E02 “ Water, Crisis“.
>
> Dammit, I keep forgetting to watch this show!
> Reading your recaps isn't motivating me.

Lol

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)

<1960380110.708438248.847240.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189844&group=rec.arts.tv#189844

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 05:29:18 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 12:29 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>>> After an arduous workout, I watched:
>>>
>>> Nothing.
>>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Treat Williams *is* THE PHANTOM! (Discussed recently.)
>> I like this movie. And it's absolutely beautiful to look at.
>
> I thought Billy Zane played him?

Yes. Treat played Neville Saint Clair.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-12 (Monday)

<u6cfd7$1er2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189848&group=rec.arts.tv#189848

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 06:30:15 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 13:30 UTC

On 2023-06-14 05:27:46 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>> snip
>>>
>>> I am glad you are watching this, so the rest of us don't have to!!
>>
>> This on Fox? I saw tons of commercials for it, but the commercials
>> never explained the premise of the show.
>
> Yes, fox.
>
> A dozen incredibly low rent celebrities are put in a Mars simulator in
> Australia and have to complete tasks before voting one of them off every 48
> hours (one episode), the conceit being that the simulator doesn’t have the
> supplies to keep them all alive.
>
> The simulator itself is pretty cool though. And of course it stars the
> Shat.

Does Shat righteously murder them all at the end?!